Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 18, 2009 9:27 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
More Touma falcon punches. More cheesiness.

Well, this is definitely open for a second season.
And the ending bits, to be honest, were the best parts of the episode for me. And Laura Stewart animated is brilliant.

I'm not sure what to rate this.
Mar 18, 2009 11:43 PM
Apr 2008
mixtapehaven said:
More Touma falcon punches. More cheesiness.

Well, this is definitely open for a second season.
And the ending bits, to be honest, were the best parts of the episode for me. And Laura Stewart animated is brilliant.

I'm not sure what to rate this.

The episode is out already? OMG!
Mar 18, 2009 11:47 PM

Jul 2008
darkxdestiny said:
The episode is out already? OMG!

LOL I streamed it when it was on, the RAW should be out in a few hours, if not already. :)
Mar 19, 2009 2:28 AM
Apr 2008
mixtapehaven said:
LOL I streamed it when it was on, the RAW should be out in a few hours, if not already. :)

Yep, I wish I knew how to stream. But anyways RAWs already out for those who didn't catch the stream.

EDIT: So far, the only event that seems to be not shown from the light novels from here is Touma's face-off against a guy with a crossbow in Volume 5 (the events of Touma being Misaka's acting boyfriend, & the Accelerator & Last Order), according to the light novels summary. Or was it edited out?
darkxdestinyMar 19, 2009 6:38 AM
Mar 19, 2009 9:55 AM

Mar 2009
darkxdestiny said:
mixtapehaven said:
So far, the only event that seems to be not shown from the light novels from here is Touma's face-off against a guy with a crossbow in Volume 5 (the events of Touma being Misaka's acting boyfriend, & the Accelerator & Last Order), according to the light novels summary. Or was it edited out?

I think that part was edited out but it still mention in episode 20. In that episode, Ao Amai couldn't get out of the city because the city is in a lockdown due to an intruder illegally entering the city. That intruder was crossbow man himself. And even though the anime didn't show it, it still happen.
MrTerroristMar 19, 2009 10:07 AM
Mar 19, 2009 10:01 AM

Jul 2008
Perhaps that guy appears later on.
Mar 19, 2009 2:09 PM

Jul 2008
MrTerrorist said:
darkxdestiny said:
So far, the only event that seems to be not shown from the light novels from here is Touma's face-off against a guy with a crossbow in Volume 5 (the events of Touma being Misaka's acting boyfriend, & the Accelerator & Last Order), according to the light novels summary. Or was it edited out?

I think that part was edited out but it still mention in episode 20. In that episode, Ao Amai couldn't get out of the city because the city is in a lockdown due to an intruder illegally entering the city. That intruder was crossbow man himself. And even though the anime didn't show it, it still happen.

Ohh, I thought JCStaff axed the whole part and the intruder was Sherry? Hmm.
Mar 19, 2009 2:28 PM

Jan 2008
hmm..if this is the ending of the series then it was disappointing. All the cheesy parts made me want to barf.....they should stop making characters like kazakiri, they're so annoying.
Anyways, by the last few minutes of the episode, it looks like there's going to be a following season, so that is going to be interesting. Especially with the blond guy, and the archbishop character that was introduced at the end.
avatar credit goes to Tifa@MAL ::tnx!::
Mar 19, 2009 3:25 PM

Sep 2008
Wasn't the best ending =/ Kind of sucked, but was decent.

*Still dont know half of the characters names xD
Mar 19, 2009 6:46 PM

Sep 2008
hey~~~. an actual TAMNI arc that didnt end up with Touma lying in the hospital bed. (cant say the same about each arc ending touma getting bit in the head by index) dont understand japanese, but the part with touma and the frog doctor, is touma mentioning something like that? lol.

how come the fighting scenes for the series werent like this episode's, it was actually good for once.

and definitely convincing that there will be a season2 for this series.
Mar 21, 2009 2:18 AM
Feb 2008
Well it wasn't the best ending I have ever seen but I guess it was ok .
I think there is no need for a second season now (when I was like on the half of the episode I thought it would need a second season)so 8/10 ^_^
Mar 21, 2009 3:42 AM

Jun 2007
wait... this was actually the last episode?

Well this was a good show but the ending was quite non spectacular so I'm torn between the 7 and the 8 rating (since the first half of this show was great).
So let's hope the next season will come soon.
Mar 21, 2009 3:43 AM

Jul 2008
ten6cha said:
hmm..if this is the ending of the series then it was disappointing. All the cheesy parts made me want to barf.....they should stop making characters like kazakiri, they're so annoying.
Anyways, by the last few minutes of the episode, it looks like there's going to be a following season, so that is going to be interesting. Especially with the blond guy, and the archbishop character that was introduced at the end.

I loved Kazakiri.
Three Thousand Realms in a Single Moment
Mar 21, 2009 4:00 AM

Jul 2008
wait... this was actually the last episode?

Well this was a good show but the ending was quite non spectacular so I'm torn between the 7 and the 8 rating (since the first half of this show was great).
So let's hope the next season will come soon.

Just the last episode of the season. The season end could hardly be made better considering that this is an arc-cenetred storyline (every arc is one novel).
Mar 21, 2009 5:17 AM

Aug 2008
Frick this show is only 24 episodes? Last episode today :(. Some how I feel cheated...way too short.
Mar 21, 2009 6:55 AM

Aug 2008
That was a pretty good episode. Touma is still such a wifebeater..

Well, this was supposed to the greatast show evar, a fine-tuned shana, an over 9000/10, but after the first few (zomg perfect) episodes it turned into a love-hate relationship and that has nothing to do with the separate arcs. I blame the most of the time clumsy execution and the whole monologue during fight thing.

In the end, 8/10.

With that said I'm super excited over the BiriBiri-spinoff! Yaaaaay!! Plus this whole episode had second season written all over it (duh!)..
Mar 21, 2009 8:40 AM

Jun 2008
5.5/10 The first half of the anime was okay. The 2nd half sucked
Mar 21, 2009 9:26 AM
Mar 2008
I wish they could've ended it with something more epic ;_;
Oh well, I still enjoyed it XD

Here's hoping for a second season o.o
Mar 21, 2009 9:28 AM

Jan 2009
I am still angry that they never got around to exposing that Touma lost his memories, I was waiting for that the whole series and left disappointed.
Mar 21, 2009 9:56 AM

Jul 2008
You'll need to wait till 3rd season for that. Touma is just too good with hiding that fact.
Mar 21, 2009 10:36 AM

Mar 2009
True. Furthermore he's not interested in getting his memories back since their permanently destroyed. Also,
MrTerroristMar 21, 2009 12:14 PM
Mar 21, 2009 10:46 AM

Feb 2008
what the hell kind of ending was that..... well if there isn't an S2 they should have ended it when he saved index.
Mar 21, 2009 11:46 AM

Aug 2008
Cheesy, but not bad ending. I found it ridiculous that they would do an info dump with Sherry and the head Alastair to leave room for a new show.

Overall, the show was super repetitive, but I don't think it was bad bad. I'll give it a 5/10.
Mar 21, 2009 12:40 PM

Jul 2008
it was ok... the show started really good imo. i mean the hole thing about science and magic really interested me. and the fight overall were not really bad. but the small arcs are not so exciting and then some of those small "filler" episodes werent also needed.

so after all i decided to saw the final episodes in one day, after i knew it was finished.
but i nearly dropped it...

anyway 8/10 but it could be a 7~~

Mar 21, 2009 2:27 PM

Jan 2008
GodsDragon said:
I am still angry that they never got around to exposing that Touma lost his memories, I was waiting for that the whole series and left disappointed.

This. It would have been more interesting if they dealt with that more.
Mar 21, 2009 6:06 PM

Jul 2008
it was a pretty good way to end season 1 (i presume there will be a 2nd); index is saved, kazkiri is not dead, but still there; touma didn't have to go to the hospital; and did anyone notice how misaka started to blush when she saw touma, how sweet, but then at the end she gets jumped in the shower.
this ending definitely means theres going to a 2nd season, b/c they left off like that what with the archbishop and all, oh, touma being eaten by index and sphinx
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Mar 21, 2009 6:27 PM
Oct 2007
Considering that there are more seasons to come, I suppose it's not too bad. It was nice to get a glimpse of what all the characters were doing and where they were. 7/10
Mar 21, 2009 8:33 PM

Jan 2009

I really expect 2nd season and Acce'll be kicking ass
not only Railgun
Mar 21, 2009 8:44 PM
Apr 2008
OK ending not great not that bad but could of been better
2nd season is almost garuenteed so ill watch it when it comes out .
se yall in the 2nd season forum
Mar 21, 2009 9:30 PM

May 2008
You reallt get the feeling that this was left pretty open for another season to keep building on (Ignoring the railgun side story) and since I didn't see any "The End" text at all I guess we hopefully get a continuation in like 1-2 years.

Overall I liked the ending but since it was left kinda opened and even introduced new characters like the Archbishop I have a hardtime deciding. To sum it all up it's gonna need a continuation.

I even take my chance on a fail if that that what it takes.

Mar 21, 2009 9:33 PM

Nov 2007
So cliche D: the whole thing felt like a remake of different animes put into one with a typical ending =/
Mar 21, 2009 10:00 PM

Jan 2009
I was pretty dissapointed by the ending but i think the whole series itself has a good story, even though it has many arcs...

Well, looking forward to see season 2 !
Mar 21, 2009 10:09 PM

Jul 2007
Series was decent, ending could have been a lot better though. Biribiri anime should hopefully be better.
Mar 22, 2009 3:32 AM

Mar 2009
mixtapehaven said:
MrTerrorist said:
darkxdestiny said:

Ohh, I thought JCStaff axed the whole part and the intruder was Sherry? Hmm.

Then again, i could be wrong.
Mar 22, 2009 4:06 AM

Mar 2009
While most you may dislike the series for not being an action anime but for some fans like me we enjoy it very much because the series greatest strength is not about the action but the world where TAMNI takes place and stories and conspiracy of that world. (To put it in another way, the series is like The Dresden Files novels, which is love by fans not because the hero of the series, Harry Dresden is a super power action hero wizard but a normal PI who just happen to be a wizard, trying to his job in a world where magic and the supernatural exist side by side in the modern world. In fact the world he lives and the people he meets are the reason what makes The Dresden Files popular since fans are fascinated the world Harry lives in. To Aru Majutsu no Index can be considered the Japanese version of the Dresden Files except it has science fiction added in it. What make it popular in Japan not because of the action but for its character development of each of the characters in the novels, the world of Science and magic and the amount of research the author herself was able to compile for the novels.)

Furthermore, i would like to congratulate JC Staff since this one of their most faithful novel to anime adaptions they ever made unlike Shagukan no Shana and The Familiar of Zero(The later i hate very much because not only did they change Louise the uncaring noble lady in the novels to an angry little Tsundere voice by Rie Kugimiya! Plus they change the plot a lot into a shameless ecchi series.) And i am please what they did since i would rather watch a slow-paced preachy sci-fi/fantasy story that *also contains* action thats faithful to the novel than to one than isn't.

All and all, i like this series and one of the best i ever watch and expect it to get better for season 2. Until than, i be waiting for the Railgun anime!
Mar 22, 2009 5:19 AM

Jul 2008
While I completely agree with most of your points MrTerrorist, don't forget that anime is probably the best medium for action-oriented stories so most of anime fans will love action.

thus, J.C. Staff should have improved the action in the series. Few more action scenes (not too much tough) in every battle that happened would have resulted in better ratings, more fans and, most importantly, would not have hurt the core of the story itself. Even exposition would not bother others so much if there was more action to entertain them.

Still, I am glad that J.C. Staff has so much faith in the franchise. The big budget, a lot of advertisement and even animating the side-story shows that J.C. Staff tries to make TAMNI one of their main franchises and I am thankful for that as TAMNI is a great series that just needs some polishment in its anime adaptation.
Mar 22, 2009 6:29 AM

Jul 2007
Well personally I find the anime a little lacking as through the whole show they did not show the science against magic thing. maybe I slow, but I only notice it during the angle fall arc. The ending was fine by me though, wish Misaka have more screen time at the last episode.
Mar 22, 2009 7:02 AM

Jul 2008
Soon, a war will emerge betewen Science and Magic sides. Season 1 was mostly an introduction to characters and the world of TAMNI.
Mar 22, 2009 9:37 AM

Jan 2008
Decent anime. It's over now. Bring on the second season and the spin-off. Touma will forever be cool with his negating punch. 7/10, but only because of Touma and Biri Biri.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Mar 22, 2009 11:05 AM

Aug 2008
I have to say this was a good season. The last ending opens up loads of possibilities for another season. Rate it an 8.5 overall. The archbishop is a little girl and apparently the one in charge of academy city is a mage. Definitely not to shabby and hope a second season does come soon.
Mar 22, 2009 3:07 PM

Oct 2008
If there is one thing i hate the most in series (other than obvious multi season series that get cut after 1 season) it is when the last episode in the season is so completely not epic that you couldn't tell it was the season finale unless you were told straight to your face.

Lets face it, there was no epic finish, no epic struggle, no epic revelation. Just a short, maybe 5 minute fight where toma punched the mage a few times and then hit the golem. Never any suspense and it never really looked like he was even trying, much less worrying that index might actually die. He spent more time doing his "generic perfect good guy hero" rant than actually fighting her!

And yes, i agree with the person saying the best part of the episode was the end scene hinting at the second season which is a shame because generally when a series hits its last episode, you expect something memorable.

I've never read the novel or what not, but the story cannot be this... dry in its native format. This season has not just been an introduction to the world and characters, it has been maybe 1/3 that at most and the rest random daily life. The least they could have done was add some resemblance of struggle to it other than Touma creating his inter ability harem. I can't think of a time i saw an anime with a season finale so uninspiring.
Mar 22, 2009 3:56 PM

Sep 2007
So they throw Aleister Crowley's motives and Laura Stuart at us... only to announce that they're animating a spinoff series instead. Such a great move that was.
Mar 22, 2009 4:14 PM

Jul 2008
Ha. I love the part when Touma comes to the doctor and says that he didn't get hurt this time. It seems like JCStaff knows that and decided to poke fun at that.
Mar 22, 2009 5:12 PM

Jul 2008
So they throw Aleister Crowley's motives and Laura Stuart at us... only to announce that they're animating a spinoff series instead. Such a great move that was.

The wait for 2nd season of Index would have stayed the same anyway. Maybe even the staff ain't the same.
With the epilogue, they wanted to show two things:
1. There will definetely be a 2nd season
2. 2nd season will be more connetced with the main plot

Ha. I love the part when Touma comes to the doctor and says that he didn't get hurt this time. It seems like JCStaff knows that and decided to poke fun at that.

They made fun of that few times already.
Mar 22, 2009 5:41 PM

Nov 2007
I'm really enjoyed this end ! =)

But after this ending, a next is obligatory, there are so much things without answer !

Mar 22, 2009 6:13 PM

Aug 2008
The series itself doesn't have a good story to begin with. There were just too many characters. Although, it's not the main factor of why the show didn't shine at all. Probably, because the story is not hitting on the right direction. It might be intended at the very beginning. Therefore, it requires another season.

Anyway, this series itself has its own ups and downs. I didn't fully enjoyed it like the other shows last year. There were a couple of good ones and a lot of bad ones too. It doesn't stand out too much except for its entire set of characters. That's the only thing that kept me watching until the end. I am not after the story anymore after I watched it halfway. I watched this show simply for fun and that's it.

Another thing is that the action scenes were always cut out short. Each episode doesn't stir you up a bit to watch the next episode. However, I did enjoy watching him build up his harem.

Therefore, I gave this a final score of 6. It's still watchable but I wouldn't recommend watching it if you are after the story of this show. I hope that the story will be filled up on season two.

Mar 22, 2009 6:21 PM

Jan 2009
it wasn't a great ending to the season, but wasn't bad per se. It left things open as if it wasn't the end. i personally would probably give it a 7.5 but since theres no decimal ratings in this system heh, ill give it an 7 because the first half was capturing and interesting while the 2nd half was an assortment of short arcs that didn't really have many interesting stories or characters. Especially the Accelerator arc. It went way too fast where in the prior episodes he was a maniacal killing psycho and now he suddenly becomes a good guy without a reason or enough time to comprehend. It needed more development. Also the 2nd half when touma loses his memory kinda pissed me off because it was like he was starting off new when the audience didn't need that at all because we had already gotten to like the prior "i lost my memory" touma. For me personally at that point i lost interest in touma as a leading character. I think thats the problem because touma's state of mind was always "who's this? and whats happening? (in a more annoying way)" when the audience already knew and was pointless. The first half was story driven while the 2nd latter was like fillers. Well to finish it off, this became a mediocre series, but a good way to past time.
makezh22Mar 22, 2009 6:26 PM
Mar 22, 2009 6:27 PM

Jul 2008
good last ep for this season
they crammed alota things in the last episode though
i thought that
2nd seasons gonna be worth watching
Mar 22, 2009 6:38 PM

Feb 2008
That was a nice ending. Would be nice to see Hyouka again though.
I'm looking forward to the side story.

9/10
Mar 22, 2009 6:42 PM

Sep 2008
Based on the light novels, there's just not enough material for a second season yet. With that said, I'm just looking forward to more Biribiri lol.
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Oct 18, 2008

159 by whitebeartigtig »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

angel999 - Oct 11, 2008

204 by whitebeartigtig »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Davison - Oct 4, 2008

230 by whitebeartigtig »»
2 hours ago

» So, Where is Index 4?

BerriesSan - Apr 14

2 by BerriesSan »»
Apr 15, 9:12 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

AkariChan - Feb 5, 2009

155 by 8iman »»
Jan 14, 3:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.