Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 23, 2010 8:25 AM

Jun 2009
Wonderful episode as always. Everything was going rather normal. Until that axe-wielding youkai appeared. It surprised me; I was totally expecting the ending to begin at that moment.

Just when Natsume thought he found people he could trust, who were similar to him and shared the same worries and pain, he realizes that not everyone thinks like he does concerning youkai. And he was beginning to open up…

Curiously, I’d never given a second thought about Reiko’s death. I assumed she died of old age but now the question has been raised again…

I can’t believe there are only two episodes left… What will I do without Natsume Yuujinchou?! I’ll miss it a lot…
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Jun 29, 2011 6:13 PM

Jan 2010
Great episode! It was nice to see Natori-san again, and learn about how there's other people out there who see yokai. I'm also curious to learn how Reiko died--and when, for that matter. She had to have had a child at least beforehand, right?
Sad how Natsume has things like this episode happen though, making it more difficult for him to connect with people. =/
Jul 7, 2011 4:24 AM

Jul 2008
The last five seconds freaked me out!
Aug 8, 2011 8:22 PM

Mar 2011
Good episode with a creepy ending. Got to love those.

I want to know more about Reiko and how she died.
Aug 21, 2011 11:17 AM

May 2010
Seems like there's an upcoming plot about the woman's group using youkai's for human benefits.

I'm getting more curious about Reiko. Even Natsume knows a little thing about her.

And seriously, Natsume sure has strong power. What a punch!!

The youkai next ep seems to love massacres. lol
Sep 21, 2011 4:57 AM

Oct 2009
Hmm i always thought Reiko died of illness or something like that, sure hope a Ayakashi wasn't responsible :\

Natsume has to stop punching everything he see's... XD

Unexpected ending hmmp..
Sep 23, 2011 5:54 PM

Jul 2011
1. Favorite part of the episode was when Natsume wowed the crowd when he punched the ayakashi and when Nyanko-sensei transformed. XD

2. The thing near the end caught me by surprise, even though I read the posts here beforehand.. .wtf. x.x

3. I always expected Reiko died because of something youkai related because she "died young". . .

4. I hope Nyanko-sensei doesn't turn evil. I'd hate that.

5. Good thing Natsume didn't tell her about the Book of Friends!! D:<

6. I love when Natsume punches things. It's so bad-ass, and he's so awesome about it! XD
Nov 25, 2011 1:15 PM

Dec 2009
I disliked that old lady a lot, and that thing looking at Natsume at the end, bleh how troublesome Dx
Dec 19, 2011 4:15 AM

Aug 2008
Poor crow familiar got eaten. In the end Natsume couldn't save him.
Jan 19, 2012 12:16 AM

Jan 2011
If much of their interaction has been with the sorcerers as representatives of humankind, one can understand why so many youkai are hostile. I just hope that Hiragi doesn't get screwed over by Natori.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Feb 27, 2012 10:10 AM

Dec 2010
So Natsume finally started understanding that people are bitches. I hope he gained some trust in Natori, because I think that guy deserves it, even if we’ve yet to see. Anyway, that’s my most favorite episode to now – yes, I liked it more even than the last episode. It was good to see that there are other “sorcerers” besides 2-3 guys in this country. Besides, Natsume and Natori were really epic in this episode, especially Natsume – he dealt with this Ayakashi so easily and he really surprised everyone with the powerful “servant” of his. This moment was so-o-o-o-o epic!
Apr 17, 2012 7:29 AM
Aug 2009
Since I laid my eyes on that woman I had a bad feeling about her.
and "Youkai are evil unlike humans"? humans can be evil, and we've seen the sweetest Youkai in this anime.

I just can't get the image of the crow pleading for help out of my head, specially after I knew she used him as a bait.

About Reiko's death, it's not the only thing I'm wondering about, they say "she died so young" but she had children, just how "young" was she? and wasn't she hated by humans?

And I laughed when the people in the mansion called Madara "servant" xDD
PixshiApr 17, 2012 7:14 PM
May 15, 2012 5:49 AM

Aug 2010
Next episode we get to meet yet another shota.
Jun 14, 2012 8:03 AM

Oct 2011
webkid94 said:
What was that thing right before the ending started? Scared the crap out of me.

LOL, yes! I had a mini heart attack. xP
Aug 28, 2012 9:02 PM

Jun 2010
The way Natori kept talking about how strong Natsume was I felt like I was watching a shonen anime.

Natsume's loneliness is an important theme of the series, but hasn't it been significantly eroded by now? He's got nice foster parents and has learned to keep quiet about his sight so he's no longer a pariah in this new town. Keeping this secret is its own stress but shouldn't his friendship with that long-haired boy and the girl who drew the magic circles take care of that?

He says he "ran from both humans and yokai" but he seems to get along pretty well with everyone he meets unless they're some sort of monster trying to kill him, so I don't know why he's so damned angsty in this episode.

I was glad to see Reiko's young death brought up. She's the most interesting thing in this series as far as I'm concerned so I like it when it reveals a little more about her.
Oct 6, 2012 11:18 AM

Nov 2008
So what happened to the crow in the end? And the youkai at the ending.... :/
Jan 6, 2013 12:13 PM

Nov 2011
Kicking ass and doing what Natsume does best. I lol'd that scene when she said "Strip".
Jan 8, 2013 3:32 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Stark700 said:
Kicking ass and doing what Natsume does best. I lol'd that scene when she said "Strip".

Same! I was wondering why she wanted him to strip! Hiiragi should've just said why in the first place. It's nice to see Natori again and I love Hiiragi. But yeah seriously, that woman thinking that all youkai are evil...yeah right. There are really nice ones like Hotaru and Hiiragi (and plenty of others) and then there also ones that don't do any harm like those two random ones we always see (if their names were mentioned, I don't remember their names). Ugh. And this is why there are a bunch of youkai who hate humans.
May 23, 2013 2:20 AM

Mar 2008
love this anime, but absolutely hate this gay-vibe whenever natori shows up

also.. why is it possible for natsume to ALWAYS defeat a supposedly extremely strong youkai with a single punch to the face?
that's really dumb..
Oct 16, 2013 12:41 PM

Aug 2012
i just realized that Natsume's power was really strong.. ;__; and apparently Reiko was quite a "legend" among Ayakashi..

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Oct 30, 2013 11:05 PM

Feb 2013
milkteh said:

unfortunately, crow got eaten, but mr big head was sealed in a jar for that.

there was a lot of somic relief in this ep. Especially liked the hopping ayakashi *boing boing boing* XD

Ayakashi should form a worker's union, so they could just go on strike when these sorcerers keeo up abusing them
<-click
Nov 9, 2013 1:38 AM

Mar 2012
Feel sorry for the crow fella :( Also that Youkai at the end looked pretty creepy lol.
Dec 1, 2013 2:15 AM

May 2012
Someone should do a montage of all the "Natsume PUNCH!!!" moments! That's his answer to everything, just punch them in the face xD

What a cool action packed episode! Natsume was kicking ass and taking names!!! There's even a hint of a cliffhanger which this anime really doesn't do that often... Must be the same axe guy who tried to kill Natsume last episode! Again, it's not often this show has much of continuity so when it does, it's so awesome!
Dec 20, 2013 5:29 AM

Jun 2012
Thaliel said:
milkteh said:

there was a lot of somic relief in this ep. Especially liked the hopping ayakashi *boing boing boing* XD

Ayakashi should form a worker's union, so they could just go on strike when these sorcerers keeo up abusing them

But didn't the old lady say that the crow demon got away? Or something like that?

Great episode as always btw. Hiiragi was so casual when she asked Natsume to take his clothes off :D

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Dec 26, 2013 1:06 PM

May 2012
Quite lovely episode indeed, let's see what the next episode has to offer!
Jan 19, 2014 4:56 PM

Dec 2010
"They are evil, unlike humans."

Almost had me laughing. But Natsume really is a fucking beta for not being able to say anything against that.
Just as there are evil humans, there are good youkai. If that old hag doesn't even know that much, then what did she even do in her long life?
Feb 5, 2014 9:05 PM
Aug 2011
YusakuGodai said:
Thaliel said:
milkteh said:

But didn't the old lady say that the crow demon got away? Or something like that?

Great episode as always btw. Hiiragi was so casual when she asked Natsume to take his clothes off :D

No, she said the demon they were after got away.
Feb 19, 2014 9:12 PM

Jun 2013
That ending went from calm and peaceful to creepy in a matter of seconds. What a show.
Aug 10, 2014 7:29 PM

Jul 2013
That was one hell of a mood killer at the end there. Wasn't expecting that creepy youkai to pop out at all.
Jul 21, 2015 1:15 AM
Jan 2015
When the plot advances in this show, even slightly, it feels organic and interesting.

Natori has had other servants in the past, Takashi doesn't know how Reiko died, multiple organizations of sorcerers, etc.

Questions are still: why is so much going on here? Is it like this in other places?

Will this show slowly transform a bit more away from the full-fledged episodic to a part-time serial?

I'm excited to get some answers. Love this show.
Feb 16, 2016 2:23 PM

Jul 2015
plot twist, Reiko killed herself and become a yokai

JK

wish I knew how she died though :p
May 28, 2016 6:33 AM

Nov 2011
Episode great, both with regard to the narrative, and for what concerns the story. Natsume for human growth, this episode has been a more fundamental point, given its lack of experience in dealing with other people. Excellent plot that deepens in the second part, the past Reiko, interesting this stage of history. Who knows if in the future we will review certain characters, the final catches me unprepared, but this makes it even more intriguing this episode.
Sep 27, 2016 12:18 AM

Jun 2016
ONE PUUUUUUUUUNCH! Natsume is the pacifist, spiritual version of One Punch Man. Glad to see some world-building and other spirit-arts users. I *still* can't get myself to trust Natori, there's something off about him.
Nov 6, 2016 6:03 PM
Mar 2015
Arachnophobic said:
ONE PUUUUUUUUUNCH! Natsume is the pacifist, spiritual version of One Punch Man.

Natsume seems more like the spiritual version of Kamijo Touma from the Toaru series.

I also can't help but have a dark feeling for Natori.
Jan 16, 2017 3:40 PM

Mar 2012
Looks like Natsume has been practicing his Falcon Punch xD
Apr 7, 2017 2:13 AM

Jan 2012
Natsume meets Hiiragi and Natori again and helps them take down a giant head youkai during a meeting of several sorcerers. Ah yes, the Hiiragi episode of season one was probably my favorite so it's nice to see her again. Two new names of note this episode. The elderly Nanase and her Matoba clan. Yeah, I figured Nanase wasn't as nice as she seemed. There's rarely ever an absolute when it comes to most things so her claim that all youkai are evil and useful only as tools was clearly bullshit. Looks like they're setting up a clash of ideals between the Matoba clan and Natsume over the nature of youkai. And speaking of setup, looks like next episode will center on the boy Natsume walked by at the end of this one...and that cleaver wielding youkai...
Sep 7, 2017 4:07 AM
Aug 2014
"They're evil, unlike humans", hah nice joke lady, they probably spawn from the evilness residing within humans
Oct 26, 2017 5:06 PM

Aug 2015
What an unusual creepy ending, came out of nowhere! Thankfully the preview shows us that nothing really bad happens next episode. Also, I was hoping that Natsume might find someone like him on the meeting, but sadly it only made him realize that humans can be as evil as some Ayakashi...
PleinairOct 26, 2017 5:16 PM

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓☆ふわふわる▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ふわふわり☆▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
      BE KAWAII         
Apr 1, 2018 12:32 PM

Feb 2013
Lol, what was that youkai from the end?
Those kids are in danger.
Natsume trusted that old woman and got hurt, again.
Dec 8, 2018 1:06 AM

May 2016
Each episode we get closer and closer to Reiko's truth and Natsume grows stronger and stronger mentally and physically by believing in his powers.
Apr 15, 2019 4:16 PM
Mar 2018
Such a warm episode, it seems Natsume has been really lost in his feelings about his ability to see Youkai and how lonely that makes him, but that encounter with the lady asking about Reiko kinda put him at ease
Apr 18, 2019 9:57 PM

Sep 2017
Man was this the inspiration for one punch man or some shit. No matter the youkai Natsume gives one punch to the dome and it goes flying lmao.
Jul 15, 2019 8:54 PM

Jun 2017
Great episode story wise but I’m really disappointed that the art, animation, and direction are back to normal. The last episode was consistently better in all aspects and had some scenes that really blew me away in terms of animation.
Dec 3, 2019 1:44 PM

Aug 2017
Natsume punching Hiragi for trying to strip him was funny. The cliff hanger at the end kind of felt chilly. It really does raise the question on how Reiko died. Also that old lady used Natsume and Natori was evil.
Mar 31, 2020 7:41 AM

Jul 2012
"They're evil, unlike humans" .... really lady? she really said that with a straight face....

Anyway, STILL can't bring myself to trust or like Natori. He was pretty alright this episode but something still feels off about him... feel a bit concerned over Hiiragi, she seems like a nice youkai.. oh well, we'll see.

They went back to the original direction and style i guess.... would have been nice to see some more animation like episode 10... i think episodes 6 and 7 also felt different and that was probably because of the fluidity of the animation, it was nice.

Very good questions and plot points raised, I'm curious
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Jun 30, 2020 10:00 AM

Feb 2017

"Will I be able to become someone who can do things for others?"

Jun 10, 2021 10:11 PM

Jan 2021
I’m honestly getting curious on how reiko died.
Hopefully we will find out soon enough.
Also what was that thing in the last scene?
Oct 2, 2021 6:44 AM

Apr 2019
This episode was more tense than usual.
Mar 29, 2022 8:25 PM

Jul 2016
"They are evil, unlike humans."

Hilarious.
May 13, 2022 10:42 AM
Nov 2020
THAT BITCH!
PS:Don't tell anyone about book of friends, Natsume
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

dbaranyi - Mar 23, 2009

105 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 3, 3:06 PM

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

noteDhero - Mar 9, 2009

125 by FZREMAKE »»
Apr 3, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaxCrazy7 - Mar 30, 2009

179 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Feb 12, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aznixiboy - Mar 20, 2009

56 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Feb 8, 2:33 AM

Poll: » Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Feb 9, 2009

98 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Feb 7, 4:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.