Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 19, 2014 4:25 PM

Nov 2010
Veronin said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Veronin said:
Yay.

Kineta addressed that in her post.

"Hopefully" and "next few months" don't leave me very optimistic. The votebombing issue pretty much makes MAL reviewing a waste of time, as one troll has made it their mission to destroy every active writer on this site. I can't write another review right now, for example, because it will inevitably result in all my reviews being unhelpful bombed again.

The new review moderators are cool and all, but that only gets rid of the spam and blatant trolling. The main issue still remains, and as far as I can tell, we're never going to see it fixed.
That's how you feel and it's fine, doesn't change that she's addressed it. I think reviews are partly written for yourself so I don't see it as useless, their downvotes can't affect the words in your post. And it's your choice on whether to continue for now or if you'll wait for Xinil to implement it, If you keep then, then when Kineta is able to delete the troll accounts, all your reviews will rise.

Then why are you asking if there's a fix yet and why are you still writing reviews if you so believe it won't ever get fixed?
Jan 19, 2014 4:32 PM

Jun 2007
IntroverTurtle said:

Then why are you asking if there's a fix yet and why are you still writing reviews if you so believe it won't ever get fixed?

For attention.
Jan 19, 2014 4:36 PM

Feb 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
Veronin said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Veronin said:
Yay.

"Hopefully" and "next few months" don't leave me very optimistic. The votebombing issue pretty much makes MAL reviewing a waste of time, as one troll has made it their mission to destroy every active writer on this site. I can't write another review right now, for example, because it will inevitably result in all my reviews being unhelpful bombed again.

The new review moderators are cool and all, but that only gets rid of the spam and blatant trolling. The main issue still remains, and as far as I can tell, we're never going to see it fixed.
That's how you feel and it's fine, doesn't change that she's addressed it. I think reviews are partly written for yourself so I don't see it as useless, their downvotes can't affect the words in your post. And it's your choice on whether to continue for now or if you'll wait for Xinil to implement it, If you keep then, then when Kineta is able to delete the troll accounts, all your reviews will rise.

A review is written for an audience. A blog or a journal is written for yourself. It's natural to want to share your opinion with other people, and when you put three, five, or even ten hours into writing a review, don't you want at least a tiny reward for it? I'm in university now and can't really justify spending hours per review when one child has the power to destroy it a day later. My only option right now is to wait a few more weeks and hope that he'll have gotten bored by the next time I write one.
Jan 19, 2014 4:37 PM

Jun 2007
Veronin said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Veronin said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Veronin said:
Yay.

A review is written for an audience. A blog or a journal is written for yourself. It's natural to want to share your opinion with other people, and when you put three, five, or even ten hours into writing a review, don't you want at least a tiny reward for it? I'm in university now and can't really justify spending hours per review when one child has the power to destroy it a day later. My only option right now is to wait a few more weeks and hope that he'll have gotten bored by the next time I write one.

Your review is not "destroyed" by votes on a website. The content is still 100% the same. If you are writing purely for 'more people to see it' then you are writing for the wrong reasons as no writer would ever write simply for the view count, which is admittedly a whole different conversation so I won't get into it. The point is the content is unchanged no matter how many negative votes it gets. Acting like a billion downvotes makes your writing quality somehow get worse is just inaccurate and you blowing something insignificant out of proportion.

If people like your writing or feel you have something worth reading, they will find your reviews - whether they are on the front of the anime's page or not.

If you are purely writing for attention then I'd still, as always, suggest rethinking that. Otherwise, stop caring about the votes, you get actual feedback plenty through other means.
TallonKarrde23Jan 19, 2014 4:40 PM
Jan 19, 2014 4:41 PM

Jul 2012
But congrats to lpf and Joker! They're the only people I know. :P
Congrats to the others. <3
rodacJan 19, 2014 5:25 PM
Jan 19, 2014 4:42 PM

Oct 2012
Welcome and good luck!
Jan 19, 2014 4:54 PM

Feb 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
Your review is not "destroyed" by votes on a website. The content is still 100% the same. If you are writing purely for 'more people to see it' then you are writing for the wrong reasons as no writer would ever write simply for the view count, which is admittedly a whole different conversation so I won't get into it. The point is the content is unchanged no matter how many negative votes it gets. Acting like a billion downvotes makes your writing quality somehow get worse is just inaccurate and you blowing something insignificant out of proportion.

If people like your writing or feel you have something worth reading, they will find your reviews - whether they are on the front of the anime's page or not.

If you are purely writing for attention then I'd still, as always, suggest rethinking that. Otherwise, stop caring about the votes, you get actual feedback plenty through other means.

It eliminates any point in writing a review when your review reaches nobody. People write reviews because they want other people to see it. Reviews are inherently a form of consumer protection. Without an audience, there is no review. If that is attention-seeking to you then feel free to believe so.

And MAL has designed the reviewing system in such a way that helpfuls/unhelpfuls determine whether or not your review is seen by anybody. When one kid comes and votes down all your reviews 15-20 times over night, you have a damn good reason to be pissed. Reviews are very personal. It's like an author writing a book and not caring if it succeeds or fails. Doesn't happen. Every single reviewer on this site cares how their reviews are received. They would write on a blog if they didn't want feedback.
Jan 19, 2014 4:57 PM

Jun 2007
Veronin said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

It eliminates any point in writing [...] when [it] reaches nobody..

Better start working for Kotaku with that kind of thinking. Rev up that click bait.
Jan 19, 2014 5:04 PM

Feb 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
Veronin said:
It eliminates any point in writing [...] when [it] reaches nobody..

Better start working for Kotaku with that kind of thinking. Rev up that click bait.

Right, because the only articles with high traffic are worthless clickbait.
Jan 19, 2014 5:11 PM

Nov 2012
Kineta said:

• Hidden_Joker
  • Congrats babe.
    Jan 19, 2014 5:14 PM

Jul 2013
    Veronin said:
    It eliminates any point in writing a review when your review reaches nobody. People write reviews because they want other people to see it. Reviews are inherently a form of consumer protection. Without an audience, there is no review. If that is attention-seeking to you then feel free to believe so.

And MAL has designed the reviewing system in such a way that helpfuls/unhelpfuls determine whether or not your review is seen by anybody. When one kid comes and votes down all your reviews 15-20 times over night, you have a damn good reason to be pissed. Reviews are very personal. It's like an author writing a book and not caring if it succeeds or fails. Doesn't happen. Every single reviewer on this site cares how their reviews are received. They would write on a blog if they didn't want feedback.

I agree with everything you said. Only reviewers from MAL (or other websites with an up/down voting system) would understand that feeling. Reviews take time and effort, and it would make sense for all votes to be honest in order to have their rightful place on the anime or manga's page. I dislike the downvote raids as well, but all we can do is be patient include of complaining about something that's currently being addressed. In the meantime, the only rec I have is to post reviews on other websites (like Anime-Planet and Hummingbird) in addition to MAL. They aren't any as active and interactive as MAL imo, but it's the only option besides posting to see if trolls get bored.
    Demi_VJan 19, 2014 6:08 PM
    Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
    Jan 19, 2014 5:14 PM

Aug 2012
    Nope_ said:
    Kineta said:

• Hidden_Joker
  • Congrats babe.

Thanks qt3.14
    Jan 19, 2014 5:30 PM

Jun 2013
    Finally
    Jan 19, 2014 5:46 PM

May 2009
    Congratulations!

*looks at queue*

Welcome! I know you guys are ready for this.
    Jan 19, 2014 6:27 PM

Nov 2011
    Grats to all. I recognize about 4-5 names on that list although one of them came to me as a surprise somewhat.
    Jan 19, 2014 6:44 PM

Jan 2012
    Peiale said:

I'm trying to have my expectations as low as possible, to be honest.

Peiale | 4 hours ago
    I expect quite a lot from the newly formed Rev/Rec Team, so I wish you all the best at covering the necessities.

I don't know what to believe anymore :P
    Jan 19, 2014 7:07 PM

Jan 2011
    Xinil, working on code? Heresy!

Well, finally. I should be able to expect some progress on quality control now.

Of course, congratulations to all the new mods.
    Jan 19, 2014 7:19 PM

Jan 2011
    Mod Note: Cleaned and reopened.

Feel free to join in congratulating the new moderators who have made a significant commitment of their time to help improve your experience on MAL.

If you have concerns, please express them in a private message to Kineta.

If you have suggestions for improving MAL, please post them in the suggestions forum.

Do not use this thread to attack other MAL users!
    rodacJan 19, 2014 8:28 PM
    Please don't feed the trolls!
    In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
    carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
    ...rodac

Jan 19, 2014 8:42 PM

May 2008
    I'm glad we were able to find some gullible qualified users who want to help keep the reviews and recommendations clean. The anime database here on MAL is one of the most important site features and flippant or trolling content shouldn't be cluttering it. Welcome all the new mods and I hope to see you around.

I am a banana.
    Jan 19, 2014 8:53 PM

Mar 2013
    saka said:
    I'm glad we were able to find some gullible qualified users who want to help keep the reviews and recommendations clean. The anime database here on MAL is one of the most important site features and flippant or trolling content shouldn't be cluttering it. Welcome all the new mods and I hope to see you around.

Just letting anyone reading know that the review community is far from having trolls and constant abusers only at the creation of various reviews. Really, far from that.
    Most come from the review voting waves, and that hasn't got anything to do with the anime and/or manga databases. The votes are done fast, so it's done from the Panel. Every other raid is done through that specific user's profile.

On short, why is it a hell zone and much worse than you say? Because approximately 5% of the votes cast overall are from actually visiting the page in the database. Everything else is fake. Therefore, having less troll, and generally incorrect reviews in the memory overall by having them removed ASAP is a minority. Compared to the whole picture, issues, philosophy, as well as actions that the users take for the worse, it is basically nothing.

Why? Because various troll/spam reviews are far from being an intelligent issue. They come, and will now get deleted fast, hopefully. How about those who are a bit more? Those, that know how to abuse the system much more heavily? Those circles that do that, are much bigger and effect other reviews over some random troll/spam reviews that get dealt with anyway, just faster now.
    SubbedJan 19, 2014 9:02 PM
    Jan 19, 2014 8:53 PM

Aug 2012
    saka said:
    gullible qualified users
    Heh heh.
    Jan 20, 2014 12:57 AM

Mar 2011
    Good luck.
    Jan 20, 2014 4:16 AM

Mar 2009
    Have "fun" being a mod. ;)
    Keep those reviews clean.
    Jan 20, 2014 5:11 AM
    Review Moderator
    (。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
    Alooo~!

Thanks for the congratulations :3 We'll do the best we can :D

*waves like a princess
    Jan 20, 2014 5:43 AM

Apr 2009
    Have fun, guys.
    I will do my daily duty and report a dozen reviews per day. Shouldn't be too hard.

Btw, do you consider KNIM 10/10 a troll review? :P
    Steel Ball Run anime when?
    Jan 20, 2014 6:01 AM
    Review Moderator
    (。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
    Nidhoeggr said:
    Have fun, guys.
    I will do my daily duty and report a dozen reviews per day. Shouldn't be too hard.

I personally would cause it doesn't deserve anything near 10 :I I've suffered so much the past year!!!... THAT being said, if your review is actually legit and written properly, we cannot delete something just because we don't agree with it (and thus, die slowly inside) <: So no, the numbers themselves don't matter if you are serious about them <:

And please, let it be hard! xD
    MaffyJan 20, 2014 8:00 AM
    Jan 20, 2014 7:50 AM

Aug 2012
    Maffy said:
    Nidhoeggr said:
    Have fun, guys.

I personally would cause it doesn't deserve anything near 10 :I I've suffered so much the past year!!!... THAT being said, if your review is actually legit and writen properly, we cannot delete something just because we don't agree with it (and thus, die slowly inside) <: So no, the numbers themselves don't matter if you are serious about them <:

I just wonder how Seo will end it...

Will he troll until the very end?
    It's getting a 9-10/10 from me though.. >_>
    Jan 20, 2014 8:00 AM

Jun 2012
    Congrats everyone and good luck!
    Jan 20, 2014 8:20 AM

Sep 2007
    Congrats all!

Jan 20, 2014 9:03 AM

Apr 2009
    Hidden_Joker said:
    Maffy said:
    Nidhoeggr said:
    Have fun, guys.

I personally would cause it doesn't deserve anything near 10 :I I've suffered so much the past year!!!... THAT being said, if your review is actually legit and writen properly, we cannot delete something just because we don't agree with it (and thus, die slowly inside) <: So no, the numbers themselves don't matter if you are serious about them <:

I just wonder how Seo will end it...

Will he troll until the very end?
    It's getting a 9-10/10 from me though.. >_>

You sure you are the right guy for the job? :P
    Steel Ball Run anime when?
    Jan 20, 2014 10:11 AM

Jul 2013
    Since I can't post links to the guidelines on user's profiles anymore, I'll be bugging the heck out of all of you with these reports. Lol, I hope explanations like "This user is unaware of the Review/Rec Guidelines" is good enough.
    Demi Valentine

Jan 20, 2014 10:14 AM
    SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
    Demi_V said:
    Since I can't post links to the guidelines on user's profiles anymore, I'll be bugging the heck out of all of you with these reports. Lol, I hope explanations like "This user is unaware of the Review/Rec Guidelines" is good enough.

I've been posting "Too early" since most of them are like that.
    Jan 20, 2014 10:16 AM

Jul 2013
    Zelot said:
    Demi_V said:

Really? I've been skipping those. As far as the "Too Early" ones, I thought they were automatically removed anyway.
    Demi Valentine

Jan 20, 2014 10:35 AM

Jul 2012
    Demi_V said:
    Zelot said:
    Demi_V said:

Really? I've been skipping those. As far as the "Too Early" ones, I thought they were automatically removed anyway.

Please continue to report as you like. Though I'm sure I can speak for all review moderators when I say that more specific report explanations are always appreciated. Though you are not required to write anything and we can work with whatever you give us. To put it simply, being able to read a report description that gives us clearer info as to why it should be removed/edited always helps.
    Anything point form is great. Specifically quoting the guidelines the review was not following is a bonus.

Reviews which are written for anime before their allowed time (episodes currently aired) are not automatically removed from MAL. Please continue to report them. If you report one of these reviews stating that it was "too early" or "written before its allowed time" that is enough information as we will be removing such reviews regardless of any other review guideline related content. Of course we can easily find that out ourselves too. :P

Hope that insight helps.
    SnakesJan 20, 2014 10:46 AM
    Jan 20, 2014 10:49 AM

Jul 2013
    Snakes said:
    Demi_V said:
    Zelot said:
    Demi_V said:

Please continue to report as you like. Though I'm sure I can speak for all review moderators when I say that more specific report explanations are always appreciated. Though you are not required to write anything and we can work with whatever you give us. To put it simply, being able to read a report description that gives us clearer info as to why it should be removed/edited always helps.
    Anything point form is great. Specifically quoting the guidelines the review was not following is a bonus.

Reviews which are written for anime before their allowed time (episodes currently aired) are not automatically removed from MAL. Please continue to report them. If you report one of these reviews stating that it was "too early" or "written before its allowed time" that is enough information as we will be removing such reviews regardless of any other review guideline related content. Of course we can easily find that out ourselves too. :P

Hope that insight helps.

It does help. Thanks, Snakes. Thanks to you, too, Zelot, for reporting. :)
    Demi Valentine

Jan 20, 2014 11:24 AM

Mar 2013
    Guys and gals, allow me to be so bold and add up to what Kineta has said in her opening post.

Kineta said:
    If you are interested in the position, I suggest that you keep reporting reviews/recommendations with useful comments illustrating your knowledge of the guidelines and perhaps there will be a place for you on the team sometime in the future.

Although the main focus was on possible future recruitment, that doesn't really matter. Give useful and specific comments in your reports, regardless if you are aiming to one day become a Mod or not. It's generally a good observation and judging exercise, as well as training the expression of a specific issue through text. If nothing else, it's at least that.

In other words, keep the reports rich, but on-topic. At all times. :)
    Jan 20, 2014 12:43 PM

Nov 2012
    Congrats Joker and lpf.
    As for the others, hope you do a good job.
    Jan 20, 2014 1:47 PM

Aug 2012
    Congratulations and good luck.
    Jan 20, 2014 3:22 PM

Aug 2012
    Nidhoeggr said:

You sure you are the right guy for the job? :P
    lol my scores matter not.
    I did have to take tests you know. Hopefully I am.

Mod Edit: Quote tower removed.
    rodacJan 20, 2014 9:38 PM
    Jan 20, 2014 8:24 PM
    noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
    Congrats to everyone who made the final cut, and good luck chipping away at that mountainous backlog of queued reports.
    Jan 21, 2014 6:02 PM

Oct 2012
    Congratulations! Mal desperately needs these guys. :D
    Memories may fade, but that doesn't mean there isn't any point in making them.
    Jan 22, 2014 7:10 PM

Aug 2011
    lpf is master race. Congrats, dude.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
    Jan 23, 2014 12:17 AM

Jan 2014
    ganbatte kudasai minna!!
    Got something to live for, I know that I won't surrender,
    A warrior of youth,
    I'm taking over, a shot to the new world order
    I Am Bulletproof. . .

Jan 23, 2014 12:25 AM

Dec 2011
    Only just found out that this had actually happened. Congratulations.
    There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
    Jan 23, 2014 4:53 AM

Jun 2008
    Congrats all. Now let the real fun begin!!! *evil grin*
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jan 23, 2014 8:19 AM

Jun 2012
    Wow Kineta, you actually picked competent users. I'm surprised.
    Jan 23, 2014 8:49 AM

Jul 2012
    Shuhan said:

That's the nicest thing anybody has ever said about me...

:')
    Jan 23, 2014 9:57 AM

Jun 2012
    Snakes said:
    Shuhan said:

That's the nicest thing anybody has ever said about me...

:')

I like how you took the compliment out of that lol.
    Jan 23, 2014 10:17 AM
    Anime DB Admin
    BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
    Lol, Snakes, nice one. =D

staff.applications  
    guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
    thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
    Jan 23, 2014 11:28 AM

Mar 2013
    Shuhan said:

I hope this doesn't sound too negative, but we have yet to see and determine that.
    Everything is neutral as for now. The pre-set potential is hugely different between the ones that were picked, bringing quite a question mark to that statement.
    Regardless, we'll see through action. Better give it your best shot, peeps.
    Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

421 by Seiidou »»
    9 hours ago

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - 12 hours ago

0 by Kineta »»
    12 hours ago

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

204 by Dekom »»
    Yesterday, 10:52 AM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
    Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3332 by Terra_strong »»
    Apr 17, 8:26 PM
    It’s time to ditch the text file.
    Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.