Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jan 24, 2013 12:23 PM

Dec 2012
Good show, too bad it is underrated
Feb 22, 2013 4:53 AM

Mar 2010
First half was following a pattern that delivered pretty much the same message over and over. Casshern finds a girl, helps her, fights some robots, girls falls in love with him (or drops hints of that), they part. Second half was better but it felt as if it expected us to have prior knowledge of several events what looks like plot holes since it was never explained. But I still really liked the fact that Casshern found Dio one of those who lived to fullest and I also liked that they realised that death is natural and should happen. I also liked that they didn't pretend life doesn't suck but they emphasised that every one should find something that will make it worth living.

Still, several loose ends left hanging and a messy ending "moral". So, the whole 24 episodes we are taught that death is normal and that people should live their life to the fullest not trying to be immortal yet at the very end Casshern goes like: "Sure, just make everyone immortal if they like, whatever." after killing tens of robots for no apparent reason (since he just wanted to chat with Luna). For a guy that hates fighting and killing that feels... weird. The rainbow-y stone had no meaning considering what a big deal it was, it was never really explained how there will be "born" robots, considering that the only 3 robots that could have children were out of the picture, the whole thing didn't really get a conclusion, Luna's behaviour was left just like that, Casshern acted as if he learnt nothing during the whole thing and we have no idea what happened to him, where he went or what he did (considering that we were following him and his point of view for 24 episodes it's just... uhh...). All in all weak ending for a slightly over average anime. 7/10
SuiNoByakkoFeb 22, 2013 5:00 AM
Feb 27, 2013 10:45 PM

Jan 2013
From what I can recall of the ending, Luna is meant to elongate the lives of robots affected by the Ruin for a while, not give them eternal life per se. Casshern on the other hand, is meant to be a martyr for teaching robot's how to value their own lives by acting as the god of death to help them acknowledge that they should live their lives with purpose for it will eventually expire. Both of their existences serve to better the ephemeral lives of robots by perpetuating their deity-like existences and purposes. If Luna were to die, all robots would lose hope and resort to wanting to eat Casshern in lieu of the series' 1st episode. The presence of Luna is meant to serve as a symbol of hope while Casshern is meant to intimidate so that the robots don't misinterpret Luna's patronage and over-indulge and perhaps cause anarchy thus grounding their views and ensuring longer (but not endless) lives with more happiness and purpose. Given that Luna is blessed with the power of healing whereas Casshern is not, the latter takes it upon himself to be death while telling Luna to fulfill her duties of giving a gleam of hope. So if Casshern died in some way, people would be abusing Luna's power and if Luna died, the world would attempt to eat a god and subsequently cause a chain of robots seeking absolution with them all vying for eternal life. Sure it's selfish that Casshern chooses to continue living, but he does so at the cost of being the center of hatred and fear, only to help people live more meaningful lives. Think about it; if some people lived for eternity they would either bide time and use minimal effort on everything, abuse their power and/or get fed up with everything, but with death looming over, we try to make the most of what little time we are given.
Mar 27, 2013 5:55 AM
Jul 2011
Should have ended in episode 23, the last episode ruined the very well done rest for me.
May 21, 2013 5:38 PM
Aug 2011
Good Riddance to this garbage: 3/10.

On the plus side, I did like some of the visuals, Friender, and Jin. Shame that we didn't see more of Jin.

Lyuze should have died 24 episodes ago and Luna was a horrible character as well.
Dec 24, 2013 5:15 PM

Aug 2012
Another disappointment for me, as the first part was brilliant and the second part felt like a wasted potential. It all went downhill when the show abandoned its episodic structure in favor of some unneeded characters' development... And in the end all this buildup led nowhere. Man, this show is like DRRR...

Too bad all the characters from the first part were never shown again. I wanted to see Sophita so much...
And poor guy Friender, he remained useless till the end without any development.
Feb 21, 2014 6:49 PM

May 2012
So well that was the end, I wasn't expecting too much from this anime but it was somewhat decent I guess. The overall anime was okay, the pacing was horrible and some episodes were just pure boring but then others had great story or character development that with the unique art style and story line does gave us a pretty decent anime!

All by all I was not a huge fan but I can't deny that this is a pretty decent anime!

Let's see what the alternative settings have to offer us!
RafaelDeJonghFeb 21, 2014 7:30 PM
Mar 6, 2014 5:35 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm a bit dissapointed to be honest. The art was beautiful, characters stylish, the soundtrack is good and they did a great job of creating a believable setting, with the all pervasive feeling of ruin surrounding the characters. And the story drew me in for the most part of the series, but then it all came undone. Characters contradicted themselves or lost their meaning completely, questions were made and never answered and sometimes some latter episodes felt as repetition of things that had come before. A triumph of style over substance for me.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 3, 2014 12:10 AM
Jun 2013
This anime is just one big meh.somethings not explained and it just feels like it ends.It was long winded as well with its talking.Only thing that was good that kept me coming was the animation,fights and I like that 1 song that the lady sang.If you want a good robot anime that deals with questiioning life and such try to find android kikaider it curb stomps this anime.
Sep 25, 2014 12:29 AM

Nov 2011
You know, it's bad to say "plot hole" all the time, everywhere, just because you didn't understand, because that's basically what CASSHERN Sins was: hard to understand.

Confusing.

Either because the messages they wished to convey were almost always implied, or because people use the wrong logic in approaching the events at face value.

My balls just busted when I watched the ED for the last time, because I realised something in the lyrics. I'm sure that this was planned, otherwise they wouldn't just have a random song with such lyrics as the ED. The guy sings about wanting to change, and staying the way he is; wanting to be happy, and wanting to be unhappy; not wanting to be alone, and wanting to be alone.

"For the living contradiction that I am, please forgive me."

Casshern says he will never kill again, and eventually kills all those robots when they went for him in the next ep (this ep). And although this is absolutely unrelated as I am just stringing up some things from other references: there are certain lyrics in the OP of Kuuchuu Buranko that go like "aimai wa tsumi ni naru" or translated, "ambiguity is a sin." Yes it's random, but I was just thinking that maybe there's a whole culture that we aren't aware of that really doesn't receive being ambiguous too well. The lyrics of CASSHERN Sins' ED perfectly describe this anime's conclusion.

And because of that realisation, I've decided that CASSHERN Sins may actually be MUCH, in fact, infinitely deeper than we all may have thought. I am not content because the series has been rather confusing and I may be missing a lot of points, such points like:

"Was Ringo a human all this time? Or was she of the likes of Casshern? She said at the end that she's probably the 'first to gain a life that will someday end in death' or in other words, the first robot to die naturally. But I recall in an earlier episode, when she and Ouji were atop a giant rock with a bed flowers, she had to wear a helmet which I believe aided in her breathing. Why would a robot need a breathing aid?"

"Is she Leda's daughter? If she is, was Ringo born human? Or was she born a robot like Leda, a robot who can breed? I don't really think she IS Leda's daughter. The only 3 robots who are capable of reproduction are apparently Casshern, Dio, and Leda, and taking into account how Leda said she wanted to have a child with Dio, it seems unlikely that she'd choose those words if she already had a previous child. Casshern was a killing machine, so he couldn't possibly have been the father either."

"What exactly was Luna's role? Is she another robot like Casshern who was created in lab (which explains the crystallised cells, which also explains why she "came back to life (regenerated like Casshern)")? What exactly does she think she has been doing all this time? What's this thing that was mentioned about the blood of life and death mixing? Is THAT what caused all shit to fuck up? Just because their blood happened to have made contact with each other? Is there some sort of mystical force in the universe that decided Luna is God who grants life, and Casshern is Satan who grants death? Why was Luna choosy with whom to give healing to? What does her blood do, exactly?"

Shaiza, man........

Though I really liked Jarmel's post as it seemed to have connect things sensibly (http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=73434&show=60#msg2990763), I still want to know the specific details about the things I questioned.
zetsu_shorenSep 25, 2014 7:01 AM
Oct 6, 2014 12:23 AM

Jul 2013
just finished watching Casshern Sins (they should've titled it Casshern Feels... those feels :'| ) , i liked the show, but i have some unanswered questions, too many ideas in this forum post. it would take time to read all of them, so is there anyone kind enough to answer these questions in a single comment?(english is not my native language so please bear with it)

1. who is ringo? is she a robot or a human? robots can neither grow, nor have blood, but she does. again in an episode (maybe 17/18) she had been seen wearing a breathing mask. a robot doesnt have to wear masks. but at the 1st episode she says ouji repaired her from her rust... and at the end of the series they show her rusted headband. so what is she actually?

2. i think ringo had some sort of connections with Leda(maybe her child?) Leda forgot about that for some kind of unknown reasons just like casshern did.

3. in episode 17 they find a crystal. i thought it would play a vital role in the main story, which it doesnt. so what is it actually?

4. why did casshern kick braiking boss's ass, while he boasted in the previous episode that he wont ever take anyone's life?
~thanks in advance :)
Arashi_kunOct 6, 2014 9:10 AM
Oct 27, 2014 4:14 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Lot of questions and open-minded answers. Very mysterious and unique show.. really sad and depressing. But damn this was an hidden gem i managed to miss somehow. 10/10 really enjoyed this mood and theme of this anime.. love this type of anime (ex: serial experiments lain , mushishi, haibane renmei etc..) Not sure about re-watch value. This type of darker, deep etc.. anime I tend to avoid re-watching.
Jan 4, 2015 6:21 AM
Mar 2013
It was a great series for me. I don't agree at all with the notion of eternal life being wrong though.
Jan 14, 2015 1:58 PM

Aug 2012
Roychop said:
I don't agree at all with the notion of eternal life being wrong though.

Why? It's impossible to appreciate something when you have an abundance of it.
Jan 29, 2015 10:00 AM
Mar 2013
alpir said:
Roychop said:
I don't agree at all with the notion of eternal life being wrong though.

Why? It's impossible to appreciate something when you have an abundance of it.

Why you ask? I would rather live forever than rot away. And again I don't think living forever is a bad thing. You are still you and living as much as you always do (that whole stupid "live forever but are not truly living" nonsense I totally don't agree with).
RoychopMay 2, 2015 7:20 AM
Jul 3, 2015 1:10 AM

Feb 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed this. Nice visuals, great soundtrack, and a cast that feels fitting. There's a lot of interesting ideas that are brought into the show that added to the development of the cast and the world. The argument the ending made was to live with a meaning not just for the sake of staying alive. Casshern even says to Luna 'this place is full of life, but no one is living it.' Lyuze's feelings for Casshern are probably motivated by her acceptance of Ruin and knowing that her time is limited. If she was given eternal life, what purpose would staying close to Casshern have? She initially stayed around because he protected her. The show let the viewers see what people in the world were doing to spend their lives like Janice the singer, Niko the flower girl, etc.
devinderJul 3, 2015 1:45 PM
Aug 22, 2015 8:02 PM

Nov 2014
This show is the definition of boredom and unnecessary philosophical bullshit.

Aug 25, 2015 4:10 PM

Mar 2014
Seriously enjoyed this series. I can see why many may find it uninteresting with the plot but the emotions and characters did it for me.

Damn I knew their deaths were coming but still wasn't ready, Lyuze ;_;

And now Casshern is alone as Ringo grows up, I wonder if they ever see each-other again? I'd like to see that but I guess I never will...

This may have left me feeling sad but it still left me feeling which to me makes it a good anime ^_^
Trash mammal
Jan 7, 2016 2:11 AM

Jan 2013
9/10 Quite a few flaws, but I still loved it.
Jan 29, 2016 7:42 AM

Feb 2013
I find myself interested that so much people hated the overall message and "style over substance". It has one plot hole about the stone, but having everything answered with indubitableness is not always a good way to convey feeling towards the audience.

It was quite a beautiful metaphor about the meaning of death, for without it life bears no structure, becoming amorphous at best.
Feb 27, 2016 4:01 AM
Oct 2014
I liked the tone, style, and music. It has that retro, classic 80s/90s anime feel to it. The anime was an abstract one, heavily relying on its themes to carry the narrative as opposed to following science and logic.

It never fully explained what the Ruin was but implied that Luna's first death caused it. Initially she was granting human lifespans to robots, allowing them to die. And when Casshern killed her the first time, this was spread throughout the world (somehow). So the Ruin is just robots dying of natural causes.

The new Luna, after having experienced death and now fearing it, no longer wishes to grant death but give eternal life to those that seek it. Of course, there's a level of unnaturalism to having eternal life and as that town full of loopy robots displayed.

So the whole anime hinges on the concepts of what it means to live and what it means to die as demonstrated by the various robots Casshern encounters on his odyssey.
Mar 24, 2016 3:45 AM

Jul 2007
AnimeAndy said:

It never fully explained what the Ruin was but implied that Luna's first death caused it. Initially she was granting human lifespans to robots, allowing them to die. And when Casshern killed her the first time, this was spread throughout the world (somehow). So the Ruin is just robots dying of natural causes.

Not natural.

Too much of anything is abnormal. What Luna was doing at first was somewhat balanced - bringing the mortality to those who want it. However the world became obsessed with her, worshiping her as an absolute savior which led to Casshern killing her, which in turn spread that power of death to absolutely everything in the world. Suddenly, instead of death happening to those it was meant for, it was happening everywehre - and just like with eternal life, that ended up twisting its original meaning.

That's what Ruin is. Finality that lost any sort of meaning.

The new Luna, after having experienced death and now fearing it, no longer wishes to grant death but give eternal life to those that seek it. Of course, there's a level of unnaturalism to having eternal life and as that town full of loopy robots displayed.

Correct. Luna changes her position after experiencing what she did.It does not mean that granting death was wrong,but it means that now fromher perception it was wrong.
She was a being granting mortality in an eternal world.
She is now a being granting eternal life to the dying world.

That's what Sun Named Moon Means - contradiction between Day and Night, Sun and Moon,Life and death - the roles Luna switches between.

Killing her is not an answer as it would start the cycle all over again - the world would overflow with eternal life till "Luna" eventually would appear, disgusted with concept of eternal life and start bringing death.

So to compensate for that and to balance it out, Casshern has to become the opposite - in order to keep balance between concepts and to prevent history from repeating.

Casshern fulfills the same role he did through the show, the same thing he was good at -bringing death to where he goes. So even the world saved from over-abundant and twisted abnormal death retains the fear of the concept, placing eternity of life and finality of death intoa sort of balance.

The Old World fell due to immortal being's obsession with death bringing ruin to their civilization in form of overwhelming death.
The Ruined World fell due to the despair such situation created and the obsession with life that the situation presented.

In the epilogue of Balanced World, now people can't be obsessed with immortality(obsessing over Luna, who represents life now) or stop fearing death(like it happened in the old world), because there's a religious figure, a mythological being of faith, that represents their finality.
At the same time they can't be obsessed or driven insane by concept of death, because in shadow of Casshern's looming presence, Luna exists as symbol of hope to counter it.

Thus neither Casshern nor Luna can go out of control and neither finality of death nor eternity of life overtakes each other. People live when they live and people die when they die.

The final message is that there's no meaning of life and meaning of death,without them being intertwined. What happens in life makes death meaningful., What death ends makes what happened in life so precious.
AhenshihaelMar 24, 2016 3:50 AM
May 20, 2016 3:12 AM

Jan 2010

And there goes a year and a half worth of stalling.

All in all, I can't say everything worked out. I still have concerns over how blatant some of the imagery was, the manner which plot points and character goals strung along, and whether the darkening of the series was truly necessary.

That being said, I liked everything else. Back when I started Casshern Sins, I used the phrase "the beautiful void" to describe the series, and I think it still holds true. The series truly is full of atmosphere - an oppressive one which looms over your head like a dark cloud. Of course, the series does get full of itself at times, where it reveled in its aesthetics and prose until it became uncomfortably self-serving. But, for when the series hit its high marks, I was truly impressed.
Jun 23, 2016 6:04 AM

Dec 2012
Watched all 24 episodes, and still anime made ZERO sense to me :( If the idea of the anime was that the eternal life is pointless, then it was executed very badly, because the only feeling that I got from this anime is that Ruin is sad and needs to end.
Aug 1, 2016 12:15 PM
Dec 2014
roy1751 said:
style over substance

That's fair. The style is amazing though, nice VAs and the story isn't completely retarded like most anime these days.
Aug 8, 2016 4:50 PM

Jun 2016
welp a bad ending to an equally bad show.. So Casshern breaks his word to never fight again, and goes on a killing spree for no reason... I guess his reason for killing The Boss guy was to clean up loose ends? Any other reason? I guess the fact that a few of the main characters died in this episode is reason enough to consider it a happy ending by Cassherns own standards...

Sorry I just really didn't like this show! xD
Aug 17, 2016 7:54 PM

Aug 2016
Reminded me a lot of The Big O.

I loved all of it.

It's always hard when characters you've come to like get killed off, but that's the story. Without potential to lose, is it really all that valuable?

Beauty is temporary, and that's why it's beautiful.
There is a deepness in the sky. So high, so low, so many things to know.
Aug 24, 2016 3:40 PM

Jun 2011
When you watch a philosophical series filled with symbolism and whatnot, people tend to get poetic with their comments..

Maybe I just don't get it, but like most people here, I prefer the first half over the second half. The theme was presented with a clear intention, and it is easily understandable, allowing you to focus more on the emotional aspect, rather than the logical side.

The series started off really slow, and picked up around episode 8, and it was an emotional ride until midway of the series, where the plot kicked in. Not too fond of Lyuze's story, nor Luna's characterization, nor Dio's motivation (his resolution was great though), nor Leda's goal, everything in the second half of the series was generally meh for me.

The ending is fine/complete, but I would love to see more. I've really enjoyed the relationship between Friender, Casshern, and Ringo.A sequel would be great, would love to see that kind of fate would befall a ruined world.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Aug 29, 2016 6:41 PM

Oct 2009
Roychop said:
It was a great series for me. I don't agree at all with the notion of eternal life being wrong though.

exactly my thoughts
Sep 29, 2016 2:27 AM

Mar 2016
Wow a very good show. . . Love its dark tone, unique art style, soundtrack, theme and characters monologue and self-introspection. . . This show reminded me a lot of Ergo Proxy, but this show has more emotional and touching moments which make it better than Ergo (for me). . .

But there are some flaws in the story and the secondhalf of serie kinda rushed

Overall : 8/10
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Feb 18, 2017 12:08 PM

Sep 2014
A lot of these episodes in this anime when it all comes down to it were wasted, to many wasted scenes as well. Didn't have to be 24 episodes just dragged on and on and we somehow still got a ending that felt rushed. 6/10.
May 2, 2017 5:02 PM

Aug 2016
so... after rewatching episode 13, Braiking Boss is explaining what happened before the ruin, the creation of Casshern, whatnot. Meanwhile Ringo is off cutting her finger, bleeding in the water... and they make it a point to show her gazing into the pool at her reflection while Braiking Boss says: "But there is something robots could never do, create descendants."
I've said multiple times that Ringo is very likely to be Leda's child. I think this only reinforces the idea.
When she's waiting for Casshern to return... if she is the product of Dio and Leda, maybe she'll get to repopulate the world with Casshern. That's kinda weird, but in other science fiction where time becomes sketchy and people live forever, weirder coupling happens.
Oct 13, 2017 11:40 PM

Jan 2014
I fucking bawled my eyes out when Lyuze died, I had a strong feeling earlier in the show she was gonna go, but still man...fuck

9.5/10 anime, my god this is a hidden gem

Fuck MAL and it's shitty ratings, this deserves to be a 8.70+
Nov 1, 2017 2:17 PM

Aug 2016
DoctorWasabi said:
I fucking bawled my eyes out when Lyuze died, I had a strong feeling earlier in the show she was gonna go, but still man...fuck

9.5/10 anime, my god this is a hidden gem

Fuck MAL and it's shitty ratings, this deserves to be a 8.70+

Couldn't agree with you more. It's a masterpiece in my book. It may not be perfect for some people, but I think they intended to convey ideas and feelings and really produced a remarkable piece of art.
Aug 20, 2018 6:03 AM

Jul 2013
I can't believe I got tricked into watching this. The only enjoyment I got out of this show was seeing Lyuze get blacked in her dreams, the rest of it was torture.
Oct 22, 2018 10:30 PM
Sep 2015
So, um, whatever happened to that multi-colored rock/mineral/crystal/whatever of Luna bits that those kids gave to Ringo which Ohji took to research? Was its only purpose so that Ohji could figure out that she used to give death? Couldn't the kids have literally just told him that? Why keep it such a well guarded secret?

"Death evil, so keep it away from me and kill all the dying that I could otherwise save!"

I can't feel sad about Lyuze's and Ohji's deaths as they were the ones who rejected eternal life.

Last episode Casshern: "I will never fight or kill again!"
This episode Casshern: "I have slaughtered my way through your protectors so that I can tell you that I won't kill you unless you forget death, whatever the fuck that means."

Sucks to be humans in this world, since all the metal will be rusted except for whatever's making up salvationed robots.

"I will live... until I can see him again." -> "I'll never see you again" ED starts, lol.

Damn did this show ever take a nosedive in the end. Not even counting the godawful episode 18, the "good guys'" motivations and actions just made no sense.

I'll still give it a 7/10, but only on the strength of the first 2/3.
Dec 9, 2018 7:06 PM

Mar 2016
to me, a truly wonderful show and masterpiece from the inside-out. I can get why people may get confused by the shift in tone and roles from the original version (which I never really watched, tbh) and/or the heavy themes and peculiar pacing of the story narrative, but to me, if one pays more attention to why these characters are the way they are, and why their words can resonate with Casshern and us as viewers, then one can see the true beauty. The animation quality is among the best I've seen overall, to where I can actually find it fairly comparable to today's animation styles.
Not an easy recommendation, but honestly a fine piece of artwork in the endless ocean of anime that has run with too much generic and/or one-dimensional shows nowadays.
Feb 16, 2019 10:48 AM

Jan 2013
can confidently say that that this wasnt that good. better than nothing but worse than everything else. casshen was the symbol of christ bearing the crescent letter c. surprised how nobody noticed such a major detail until the final episode. goes to show how little viewers pay attention.
Mar 18, 2019 3:28 AM

Jan 2013
Overall, the anime had some good ideas, but the execution wasn't quite there.
Jun 1, 2019 11:49 PM

Jul 2016
Meh, I actually like philosophical type of shows, but I guess they are only good when Mr. Konaka directs them.

Good final episode, boring Anime. The episodic nature of the first half was unnecessary, some of the episodes with Lyuze were unnecessary and I feel like the show dragged on for way too long.
Jun 23, 2019 6:07 AM

Sep 2014
EmmanuelVR said:
noteDhero said:
So...

No insight on Braiking Boss
No insight on Luna
Casshern lied when he said he wouldn't kill again.
And in fact killed for absolutely no reason.
Ringo's (probably) completely human.
We wasted more time on flowers.

*Enough needed for the story. You don't need to know his full life. He was the Robot King that "created" Casshern and ordered him to kill Luna because she was giving death to immortal beings (his army). He thought all the shit that happened because of this was also his sin.

*There was enough. Luna gave death in her former self, now gives eternal life. She hated what she did previously, and after the ending still is a bitch. But she is a needed "evil". Ruin is not normal death, and she is the only cure. The proble is her eternal life also takes the "true" life out of robots, so to speak. See point 4 for continuation =P

*People change opinions when they realize things are wrong/ are not what they thought. If you don't like it, go watch something with more one-dimensional characters, like a fighting shonen or something. One of the few times we see this kind of development, and all there is is bitching.

*...Did you just miss the point of the entire series? Eternal life is wrong, but ruin in itself is not normal death. Casshern understood this, and so decided to become a sort of god of death. He will not kill unnecesarily, but will be a shadow for people (robots) not to forget that eternal life is not for sure, and that they can still die.

*Ringo is the first "next generation" robot. She will live and eventually die like a human. So she can "fully live" and not live in the false dream that is eternal life. More like her will supposedly come, and sooner or later everyone left will be like her.

Oh, 8/10 for the whole series.

Good points. I liked the show and I was crossing my fingers in hope they wouldn't botch the finale - and they didn't. The final few episodes were really good and the conclusion was satisfying which is hard to achieve considering the topic.
Aug 17, 2019 4:09 AM

May 2015
kalinime said:
So, um, whatever happened to that multi-colored rock/mineral/crystal/whatever of Luna bits that those kids gave to Ringo which Ohji took to research? Was its only purpose so that Ohji could figure out that she used to give death? Couldn't the kids have literally just told him that? Why keep it such a well guarded secret?

"Death evil, so keep it away from me and kill all the dying that I could otherwise save!"

I can't feel sad about Lyuze's and Ohji's deaths as they were the ones who rejected eternal life.

Last episode Casshern: "I will never fight or kill again!"
This episode Casshern: "I have slaughtered my way through your protectors so that I can tell you that I won't kill you unless you forget death, whatever the fuck that means."

Sucks to be humans in this world, since all the metal will be rusted except for whatever's making up salvationed robots.

"I will live... until I can see him again." -> "I'll never see you again" ED starts, lol.

Damn did this show ever take a nosedive in the end. Not even counting the godawful episode 18, the "good guys'" motivations and actions just made no sense.

I'll still give it a 7/10, but only on the strength of the first 2/3.

Totally agree, show went to crap near the end.
Dec 16, 2019 8:56 AM

Nov 2018
Braiking Boss ended up falling to death as well, I feel like somehow he was pulling the strings the entire time. That might just be how he acts tho, rather than reality.

Also, adult Ringo made me happy, at least we got one of them to survive happily, also kind of returning to society as WE know it, with life being on a cycle of death.
Apr 12, 2020 2:31 PM

Apr 2008
I had completely forgotten about that Luna stone some of you guys brought up) because it was just never mentioned after the Cradle ep. I assumed it was some kind of guidance or needed to stop the Ruin. "Luna's cells"?

7/10. I think I'm being safe but I enjoyed it. That's a good number and it's rare for me to go higher.

it's visually well done, a great cast, great music (and I mean GREAT MUSIC that fit the damper mood). The "guest bots" (Bot a week?) kinda felt like family and secretly inspired Casshern. Everyone showed that life has purpose whether its fighting (Sophita, Dio), drinking and crapping ( human Acos), singing, building (Rizbell), revenge or love, etc. Or you can just wait until you die. Casshern was a bit too emo...for the majority of the show though.

I'm so glad the pressure of Lyuze and Ohji came first before the last battle/meet. WHY COULDN'T THEY BE MARRIED ROBO-GOD WHYYY?!?!?!

One and two cour stories can do this sometime. Leave us with an ending open to imagination. Within a ruined land, kind of like ours, with good and bad apples, we can't be scared of natural things like death.

Ringo was...well uh. We have bots that can have kids and somehow, miracles happen. I wonder why there were bot-kids (XD) No one said its impossible.

The purpose of poor Casshern. He kept trying to die but can't, so he'a now back to being a "weapon" for the "natural cycle"?

Braiking...you're cool but what were you doing? I thought he was protecting Luna to protect the healing or am I dumb or forgotten something?

Jun 24, 2020 9:53 AM

Sep 2018
I wanted to like this and I was pretty interested at first, but it ended up pretty disappointing. The whole idea of 'immortality bad because death gives life meaning' is incredibly stupid (see the Fable of the Dragon-Tyrant). The fights had no stakes because it was established early on that Casshern is unkillable. A lot of plot elements were completely forgotten (Luna's nanocells, Dio aiming to be the new Braiking Boss, Casshern promising never to fight again then going on a killing rampage the next episode, never confirming who Ringo is/if she's Leda's daughter, etc.). The Ruin, which I assumed was a metaphor for nihilism to begin with, ended up being an inconsistent plot device that only affected the main characters when the plot demanded it.

That said, I very much enjoyed the OST, which I felt was suitably atmospheric and well-used (except for 'A Path' - that damn song was played far too often, and it wasn't even that good to begin with), and some of the animation was alright. I wish Braiking Boss had more screentime, too.
Sep 22, 2020 5:49 AM

Sep 2019
Totally loved this series 8/10.
Jan 25, 2021 2:26 PM
Dec 2019
Optigisa said:
Meh, I actually like philosophical type of shows, but I guess they are only good when Mr. Konaka directs them.

Good final episode, boring Anime. The episodic nature of the first half was unnecessary, some of the episodes with Lyuze were unnecessary and I feel like the show dragged on for way too long.

I like philosophical shows, but only when Chiaki Konaka doesn't do them. Casshern Sins>>>>>>Texhnolyze.

Anyway, Voltaire said to cultivate your own garden, and that's what they did in the end.

The series is really messy, and I'm not too keen on keying in on the specifics of every plot point or even the specifics of the themes. I agree with the comment that pointed out the general theme of duality and balance between life and death. That's the main idea. Ringo basically says it at the end; death shouldn't be a choice but something that you just accept when it comes. Don't go out of your way to seek it, but don't fear it either. The logic leading up to this can be pretty shakey depending on how you interpret it and then how you view the interpretation. For one thing, no, death doesn't make you value life any more or live your life to the fullest. That idea is preposterous. The logic that the quantity of something determines its value only goes so far. Whether you live forever or only for 80 years should have no impact on what you plan to do with your life.

It's like saying, "You should really value your time with your parents before they pass away". You should value that time either way.

A better point to make about eternal life would be that it doesn't allow new flowers to bloom. If it's the same old people on earth for so long, at some point there wouldn't be enough space for new blood to come in. Or, to be more poetic about it, spring is beautiful but there are four seasons. Having eternal spring would be unnatural. Not having winter would not allow the process of blossoming. Not allowing the story to end would be detrimental because your characters have already completed their arcs.

In Twelve Kingdoms, a 500 year old sage admits that Youko, the new 16 year old queen, as taught him something new.

But enough of all that. They really should've kissed in the end.
RecynonJan 25, 2021 3:00 PM
Jun 18, 2021 9:42 AM

May 2020
Slightly messy is what I think about this show. It has a lot of things going for it but honestly I could not care less for most of it.
Jan 14, 2022 8:10 AM

Dec 2015
So, the end didn't "resolve" anything material but played it safe by fully embracing the image around Death built early on. Decent enough, given the quantity of scenario tracks they've given up on.

4/5 A fine final episode.

(I was expecting the page to be full of the questions it is indeed full of but I'm still amazed by anime consumers. You really have to feed them answers about anything directly.)

===========

An immortal (empty-headed) being wandering in a decaying world and watching dying people accept or be revolted by Death, finding or not a meaning in death.*
A series that wanders in search of a story, throwing potential keys and intrigues along the way only to give up on them immediately or later, and derails itself within its second half by finding one.

*Obviously, this is a teenager series that doesn't go very far exploring anything, and the "lesson" can be foreseen from the beginning:
Living and being alive are different. Death brings meaning to life, people "burn" brighter and accomplish things. Blablabla...

Nice designs in rather dry landscapes, mostly fitting music albeit limited (hello, the Gunnm OAVs music track, I heard you), a great Tôru Furuya doing most of the speaking, and typical Yamauchi distortion and "flying dance" scenes that go well with the hero's suffering but don't get much to illustrate (this is no action show).
The already simple drawings take a toll toward the last quarter.

Score: 6,5/10
Enjoyment: 4/5
Rei_IIIJan 14, 2022 8:15 AM
May 9, 2022 3:25 PM
Mar 2018
felt like it had a lot of potential. lived up to that in some areas and didn't in others. played it too safe in the later episodes to the point of confusion and messy character decisions. did not need to be 24 episodes.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 20, 2008

92 by GabrielWhite »»
Feb 15, 10:33 PM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 22 Discussion

shoxk - Mar 8, 2009

36 by P_e_r_i »»
Dec 19, 2023 7:17 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 20 Discussion

dbaranyi - Feb 18, 2009

28 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 7, 2023 10:42 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Feb 4, 2009

93 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 16, 2008

94 by FireRifle64 »»
Nov 24, 2023 9:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.