Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 18, 2017 12:08 PM

Sep 2014
A lot of these episodes in this anime when it all comes down to it were wasted, to many wasted scenes as well. Didn't have to be 24 episodes just dragged on and on and we somehow still got a ending that felt rushed. 6/10.
May 2, 2017 5:02 PM

Aug 2016
so... after rewatching episode 13, Braiking Boss is explaining what happened before the ruin, the creation of Casshern, whatnot. Meanwhile Ringo is off cutting her finger, bleeding in the water... and they make it a point to show her gazing into the pool at her reflection while Braiking Boss says: "But there is something robots could never do, create descendants."
I've said multiple times that Ringo is very likely to be Leda's child. I think this only reinforces the idea.
When she's waiting for Casshern to return... if she is the product of Dio and Leda, maybe she'll get to repopulate the world with Casshern. That's kinda weird, but in other science fiction where time becomes sketchy and people live forever, weirder coupling happens.
There is a deepness in the sky. So high, so low, so many things to know.
Oct 13, 2017 11:40 PM

Jan 2014
I fucking bawled my eyes out when Lyuze died, I had a strong feeling earlier in the show she was gonna go, but still man...fuck

9.5/10 anime, my god this is a hidden gem

Fuck MAL and it's shitty ratings, this deserves to be a 8.70+
Nov 1, 2017 2:17 PM

Aug 2016
DoctorWasabi said:
I fucking bawled my eyes out when Lyuze died, I had a strong feeling earlier in the show she was gonna go, but still man...fuck

9.5/10 anime, my god this is a hidden gem

Fuck MAL and it's shitty ratings, this deserves to be a 8.70+

Couldn't agree with you more. It's a masterpiece in my book. It may not be perfect for some people, but I think they intended to convey ideas and feelings and really produced a remarkable piece of art.
There is a deepness in the sky. So high, so low, so many things to know.
Aug 20, 2018 6:03 AM

Jul 2013
I can't believe I got tricked into watching this. The only enjoyment I got out of this show was seeing Lyuze get blacked in her dreams, the rest of it was torture.
Oct 22, 2018 10:30 PM
Sep 2015
So, um, whatever happened to that multi-colored rock/mineral/crystal/whatever of Luna bits that those kids gave to Ringo which Ohji took to research? Was its only purpose so that Ohji could figure out that she used to give death? Couldn't the kids have literally just told him that? Why keep it such a well guarded secret?

"Death evil, so keep it away from me and kill all the dying that I could otherwise save!"

I can't feel sad about Lyuze's and Ohji's deaths as they were the ones who rejected eternal life.

Last episode Casshern: "I will never fight or kill again!"
This episode Casshern: "I have slaughtered my way through your protectors so that I can tell you that I won't kill you unless you forget death, whatever the fuck that means."

Sucks to be humans in this world, since all the metal will be rusted except for whatever's making up salvationed robots.

"I will live... until I can see him again." -> "I'll never see you again" ED starts, lol.

Damn did this show ever take a nosedive in the end. Not even counting the godawful episode 18, the "good guys'" motivations and actions just made no sense.

I'll still give it a 7/10, but only on the strength of the first 2/3.
Dec 9, 2018 7:06 PM

Mar 2016
to me, a truly wonderful show and masterpiece from the inside-out. I can get why people may get confused by the shift in tone and roles from the original version (which I never really watched, tbh) and/or the heavy themes and peculiar pacing of the story narrative, but to me, if one pays more attention to why these characters are the way they are, and why their words can resonate with Casshern and us as viewers, then one can see the true beauty. The animation quality is among the best I've seen overall, to where I can actually find it fairly comparable to today's animation styles.
Not an easy recommendation, but honestly a fine piece of artwork in the endless ocean of anime that has run with too much generic and/or one-dimensional shows nowadays.
Feb 16, 2019 10:48 AM

Jan 2013
can confidently say that that this wasnt that good. better than nothing but worse than everything else. casshen was the symbol of christ bearing the crescent letter c. surprised how nobody noticed such a major detail until the final episode. goes to show how little viewers pay attention.
Mar 18, 2019 3:28 AM

Jan 2013
Overall, the anime had some good ideas, but the execution wasn't quite there.
Jun 1, 2019 11:49 PM

Jul 2016
Meh, I actually like philosophical type of shows, but I guess they are only good when Mr. Konaka directs them.

Good final episode, boring Anime. The episodic nature of the first half was unnecessary, some of the episodes with Lyuze were unnecessary and I feel like the show dragged on for way too long.
Jun 23, 2019 6:07 AM

Sep 2014
EmmanuelVR said:
noteDhero said:
So...

No insight on Braiking Boss
No insight on Luna
Casshern lied when he said he wouldn't kill again.
And in fact killed for absolutely no reason.
Ringo's (probably) completely human.
We wasted more time on flowers.

*Enough needed for the story. You don't need to know his full life. He was the Robot King that "created" Casshern and ordered him to kill Luna because she was giving death to immortal beings (his army). He thought all the shit that happened because of this was also his sin.

*There was enough. Luna gave death in her former self, now gives eternal life. She hated what she did previously, and after the ending still is a bitch. But she is a needed "evil". Ruin is not normal death, and she is the only cure. The proble is her eternal life also takes the "true" life out of robots, so to speak. See point 4 for continuation =P

*People change opinions when they realize things are wrong/ are not what they thought. If you don't like it, go watch something with more one-dimensional characters, like a fighting shonen or something. One of the few times we see this kind of development, and all there is is bitching.

*...Did you just miss the point of the entire series? Eternal life is wrong, but ruin in itself is not normal death. Casshern understood this, and so decided to become a sort of god of death. He will not kill unnecesarily, but will be a shadow for people (robots) not to forget that eternal life is not for sure, and that they can still die.

*Ringo is the first "next generation" robot. She will live and eventually die like a human. So she can "fully live" and not live in the false dream that is eternal life. More like her will supposedly come, and sooner or later everyone left will be like her.

Oh, 8/10 for the whole series.

Good points. I liked the show and I was crossing my fingers in hope they wouldn't botch the finale - and they didn't. The final few episodes were really good and the conclusion was satisfying which is hard to achieve considering the topic.
Aug 17, 2019 4:09 AM

May 2015
kalinime said:
So, um, whatever happened to that multi-colored rock/mineral/crystal/whatever of Luna bits that those kids gave to Ringo which Ohji took to research? Was its only purpose so that Ohji could figure out that she used to give death? Couldn't the kids have literally just told him that? Why keep it such a well guarded secret?

"Death evil, so keep it away from me and kill all the dying that I could otherwise save!"

I can't feel sad about Lyuze's and Ohji's deaths as they were the ones who rejected eternal life.

Last episode Casshern: "I will never fight or kill again!"
This episode Casshern: "I have slaughtered my way through your protectors so that I can tell you that I won't kill you unless you forget death, whatever the fuck that means."

Sucks to be humans in this world, since all the metal will be rusted except for whatever's making up salvationed robots.

"I will live... until I can see him again." -> "I'll never see you again" ED starts, lol.

Damn did this show ever take a nosedive in the end. Not even counting the godawful episode 18, the "good guys'" motivations and actions just made no sense.

I'll still give it a 7/10, but only on the strength of the first 2/3.

Totally agree, show went to crap near the end.
Dec 16, 2019 8:56 AM

Nov 2018
Braiking Boss ended up falling to death as well, I feel like somehow he was pulling the strings the entire time. That might just be how he acts tho, rather than reality.

Also, adult Ringo made me happy, at least we got one of them to survive happily, also kind of returning to society as WE know it, with life being on a cycle of death.
Apr 12, 2020 2:31 PM

Apr 2008
I had completely forgotten about that Luna stone some of you guys brought up) because it was just never mentioned after the Cradle ep. I assumed it was some kind of guidance or needed to stop the Ruin. "Luna's cells"?

7/10. I think I'm being safe but I enjoyed it. That's a good number and it's rare for me to go higher.

it's visually well done, a great cast, great music (and I mean GREAT MUSIC that fit the damper mood). The "guest bots" (Bot a week?) kinda felt like family and secretly inspired Casshern. Everyone showed that life has purpose whether its fighting (Sophita, Dio), drinking and crapping ( human Acos), singing, building (Rizbell), revenge or love, etc. Or you can just wait until you die. Casshern was a bit too emo...for the majority of the show though.

I'm so glad the pressure of Lyuze and Ohji came first before the last battle/meet. WHY COULDN'T THEY BE MARRIED ROBO-GOD WHYYY?!?!?!

One and two cour stories can do this sometime. Leave us with an ending open to imagination. Within a ruined land, kind of like ours, with good and bad apples, we can't be scared of natural things like death.

Ringo was...well uh. We have bots that can have kids and somehow, miracles happen. I wonder why there were bot-kids (XD) No one said its impossible.

The purpose of poor Casshern. He kept trying to die but can't, so he'a now back to being a "weapon" for the "natural cycle"?

Braiking...you're cool but what were you doing? I thought he was protecting Luna to protect the healing or am I dumb or forgotten something?

Jun 24, 2020 9:53 AM

Sep 2018
I wanted to like this and I was pretty interested at first, but it ended up pretty disappointing. The whole idea of 'immortality bad because death gives life meaning' is incredibly stupid (see the Fable of the Dragon-Tyrant). The fights had no stakes because it was established early on that Casshern is unkillable. A lot of plot elements were completely forgotten (Luna's nanocells, Dio aiming to be the new Braiking Boss, Casshern promising never to fight again then going on a killing rampage the next episode, never confirming who Ringo is/if she's Leda's daughter, etc.). The Ruin, which I assumed was a metaphor for nihilism to begin with, ended up being an inconsistent plot device that only affected the main characters when the plot demanded it.

That said, I very much enjoyed the OST, which I felt was suitably atmospheric and well-used (except for 'A Path' - that damn song was played far too often, and it wasn't even that good to begin with), and some of the animation was alright. I wish Braiking Boss had more screentime, too.
Sep 22, 2020 5:49 AM

Sep 2019
Totally loved this series 8/10.
Jan 25, 2021 2:26 PM
Dec 2019
Optigisa said:
Meh, I actually like philosophical type of shows, but I guess they are only good when Mr. Konaka directs them.

Good final episode, boring Anime. The episodic nature of the first half was unnecessary, some of the episodes with Lyuze were unnecessary and I feel like the show dragged on for way too long.

I like philosophical shows, but only when Chiaki Konaka doesn't do them. Casshern Sins>>>>>>Texhnolyze.

Anyway, Voltaire said to cultivate your own garden, and that's what they did in the end.

The series is really messy, and I'm not too keen on keying in on the specifics of every plot point or even the specifics of the themes. I agree with the comment that pointed out the general theme of duality and balance between life and death. That's the main idea. Ringo basically says it at the end; death shouldn't be a choice but something that you just accept when it comes. Don't go out of your way to seek it, but don't fear it either. The logic leading up to this can be pretty shakey depending on how you interpret it and then how you view the interpretation. For one thing, no, death doesn't make you value life any more or live your life to the fullest. That idea is preposterous. The logic that the quantity of something determines its value only goes so far. Whether you live forever or only for 80 years should have no impact on what you plan to do with your life.

It's like saying, "You should really value your time with your parents before they pass away". You should value that time either way.

A better point to make about eternal life would be that it doesn't allow new flowers to bloom. If it's the same old people on earth for so long, at some point there wouldn't be enough space for new blood to come in. Or, to be more poetic about it, spring is beautiful but there are four seasons. Having eternal spring would be unnatural. Not having winter would not allow the process of blossoming. Not allowing the story to end would be detrimental because your characters have already completed their arcs.

In Twelve Kingdoms, a 500 year old sage admits that Youko, the new 16 year old queen, as taught him something new.

But enough of all that. They really should've kissed in the end.
RecynonJan 25, 2021 3:00 PM
Jun 18, 2021 9:42 AM

May 2020
Slightly messy is what I think about this show. It has a lot of things going for it but honestly I could not care less for most of it.
Jan 14, 2022 8:10 AM

Dec 2015
So, the end didn't "resolve" anything material but played it safe by fully embracing the image around Death built early on. Decent enough, given the quantity of scenario tracks they've given up on.

4/5 A fine final episode.

(I was expecting the page to be full of the questions it is indeed full of but I'm still amazed by anime consumers. You really have to feed them answers about anything directly.)

===========

An immortal (empty-headed) being wandering in a decaying world and watching dying people accept or be revolted by Death, finding or not a meaning in death.*
A series that wanders in search of a story, throwing potential keys and intrigues along the way only to give up on them immediately or later, and derails itself within its second half by finding one.

*Obviously, this is a teenager series that doesn't go very far exploring anything, and the "lesson" can be foreseen from the beginning:
Living and being alive are different. Death brings meaning to life, people "burn" brighter and accomplish things. Blablabla...

Nice designs in rather dry landscapes, mostly fitting music albeit limited (hello, the Gunnm OAVs music track, I heard you), a great Tôru Furuya doing most of the speaking, and typical Yamauchi distortion and "flying dance" scenes that go well with the hero's suffering but don't get much to illustrate (this is no action show).
The already simple drawings take a toll toward the last quarter.

Score: 6,5/10
Enjoyment: 4/5
Rei_IIIJan 14, 2022 8:15 AM
May 9, 2022 3:25 PM
Mar 2018
felt like it had a lot of potential. lived up to that in some areas and didn't in others. played it too safe in the later episodes to the point of confusion and messy character decisions. did not need to be 24 episodes.
Jun 4, 2022 10:14 AM

Feb 2021
That was pretty emotional at the end, I don't know if I'd ever actually rewatch the entire series though. I gave it a 4/5
Jan 29, 2023 11:41 AM

Nov 2012
What a disappointment this is.

Don't think i've ever watched an anime with such atrocious pacing, each episode had almost no progression in plot whatsoever. 24 episodes that could've been cropped into less than 9. it's a shame because i find the concept of the show (creating something out of nothing) absolutely intriguing. at first i thought this was gonna be some sort of a masterpiece, the more it went on, the more i've realized that it isn't.

I'm not regretting watching this due to the high artistic value. that alone isn't enough to carry it on its own without the proper writing of the plot and characters to back it up, though.

7/10
Mar 16, 2023 5:52 PM
Mar 2023
Very good story, wish there was more!
Mar 26, 2023 10:29 PM

Aug 2011
I didnt think I'd enjoy this..but I actually really did! The whole cast grew on me so much even though I was so sick of them saying Casshern's name and "The Moon that was the Sun" over and over again. That whole flower scene and Ouji...gosh I cried. I really liked him and how much he cared for baby Ringo. I'm so glad Ringo was in this anime and gave the entire show so much joy when like 90% of this was soooo dark and depressing.
desu desu binches
Apr 7, 2023 3:23 PM

Sep 2020
Did not care at all for this series and it was a slog for me to finish. I got the major plot points: life/death, creation/destruction, living for the moment, etc. but everything fell flat. Like others say, it would've been better if it had been 13 episodes. There were some good ones in the beginning, though.

And it's not because a lack of tastes, I watched Kaiba last year and it was one of the best shows I had ever seen.

It's not completely terrible and I can see the appeal so 7/10
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Apr 17, 2023 1:57 AM

Apr 2019
My guess was that Ringo was the daughter of Leda and a human as an experiment to create truly living robot hybrids that are able to age and procreate like humans. The body probably still relied on the nanomachines to survive which is why she was affected by the ruin. The stone which contained nanomachines was able fix the nanites in Ringo's body which is why afterwards it seemed like she'd forgotten about the ruin.
Aug 13, 2023 9:18 PM
Aug 2023
this episode presents what I would call a thoroughly unsatisfying ending to a pretty good series. what happened to the humans? did Casshern just go sit in a hole waiting for someone to do a naughty? I didn't like it much.
Aug 31, 2023 7:26 AM
Sep 2018
PEAK OF THE INDUSTRY FR
Oct 7, 2023 3:11 AM

Oct 2010
2000s anime were on a different level of greatness, amazing show
8/10
Oct 24, 2023 12:07 PM

May 2021
Decent show, definitely longer than it should had been, 14-18 episodes were enough to fit the plot, I hated Ringo though. There were some minor flags but overall everything was rightfully explained and the characters were good enough to follow up, 5.75/10.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 20, 2008

92 by GabrielWhite »»
Feb 15, 10:33 PM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 22 Discussion

shoxk - Mar 8, 2009

36 by P_e_r_i »»
Dec 19, 2023 7:17 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 20 Discussion

dbaranyi - Feb 18, 2009

28 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 7, 2023 10:42 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Feb 4, 2009

93 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 16, 2008

94 by FireRifle64 »»
Nov 24, 2023 9:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.