Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 16, 2009 3:56 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
No way, Lain isn't a real person D:
Jun 10, 2009 12:18 AM
May 2009
This was the episode where some things finally made sense... well, at least a little bit XD
Aug 20, 2009 5:31 AM

Aug 2009
until now, i was getting totally mindf***ed, finally things are starting to fall into place :)
Sep 5, 2009 10:12 AM

Jan 2008
Yeah, finally things are being explained (a little at least), like why her parents are so weird!

Nov 21, 2009 11:16 PM

Aug 2009
Is her father a knight? Or is he with man in black? I don't get in...
Feb 20, 2010 10:49 AM
Nov 2009
man in black i think, or at least he work for them
Jul 5, 2010 2:35 PM

Feb 2009
Sherica said:
until now, i was getting totally mindf***ed, finally things are starting to fall into place :)

What do you mean? I'm still completely lost.
Jul 28, 2010 3:32 AM

Feb 2009
So, it's like she is just a reflection of her true self that exists in the wired... well I kinda thought it would be something like that, I'm just not sure of what is her relation with that god, did he create the fake Lain?
Oct 16, 2010 11:16 PM

Oct 2008
I love this show. <3
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Nov 12, 2010 5:07 AM

Mar 2009
I liked the series when I first started it but now I find it dreary.
Sep 21, 2011 2:37 PM

Sep 2008
Veethorn said:
So, it's like she is just a reflection of her true self that exists in the wired... well I kinda thought it would be something like that, I'm just not sure of what is her relation with that god, did he create the fake Lain?

I think he is just lying about most of the things he say. For some reason it seems like he really wants Lain to give up her physical body, I still don't quite understand what he will win by convincing her of doing that though. Maybe somehow aiming to control her powers in the wired or something, to fully merge the wired with the real world?

I guess that could be why the knights have been messing so much with Lain's life (spreading the rumours about Alice, trapping her sisters consciousness in the wired and so on), to convince her that the real world sucks and that she should instead give up her body and transmit herself fully to the wired.
Oct 14, 2011 9:16 AM

Dec 2010
We didn't get much explanation in this episode, but at least we weren't mindfu*ked at all the time while watching it. And in the same time this is the first episode where things actually make some sense, making me to watch more episodes not because I'm searching for explanations on what has just happened, but more like because I want to see what's gonna happen next.
Jan 27, 2012 12:32 PM

Mar 2011
So Lain's real world body is just a hologram of her Wired personality? lolwut
Apr 2, 2012 5:51 PM

Sep 2011
why is everyone hitting on Lain?

May 10, 2012 1:09 PM
Jul 2018
All they do each episode is just keep adding questions to the list. There's very few definite answers given out. I'd like to think if I looked over each episode so far again I'd have a much better idea of what's going on.
Something's still up with that protocol, though it looks nowhere near what I was expecting.
May 23, 2012 7:08 AM

Jan 2012
So, she hunted down all the knights. Nice going. Truth about her family finally revealed also. What's next?

Aug 2, 2012 8:21 PM

Jun 2012
I dont quite get it if im honest, how many lanes are there?
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Oct 17, 2012 4:53 AM

May 2012
Awesome. And I don't mind if Lain is only copy of 'real' Lain - as long as she is self-concious she is sovereign on her own, and therefore she has the same right to live as the 'real' one.
Nov 17, 2012 1:06 PM

Jan 2012
Lain appears to be a program created by Eiri that exists within protocol 7. It was when she first connected to the wired that caused the wired to evolve. Lain, however, doesn't believe anything he says.

HydraA said:
I think he is just lying about most of the things he say. For some reason it seems like he really wants Lain to give up her physical body, I still don't quite understand what he will win by convincing her of doing that though. Maybe somehow aiming to control her powers in the wired or something, to fully merge the wired with the real world?

I guess that could be why the knights have been messing so much with Lain's life (spreading the rumours about Alice, trapping her sisters consciousness in the wired and so on), to convince her that the real world sucks and that she should instead give up her body and transmit herself fully to the wired.

I also believe it is quite shady for him to want Lain to die as well. I wish she would just ask him why or maybe she already knows? 2 more episodes to go.

When they mentioned that the Knights had routes leading back to the Knights Templar, I was like "Oh no, here they go again." Those guys seem to be involved with everything at some point all throughout history.

When Lain tracked down the knights, I was thinking they were in deep trouble now. Lain was really pissed about that fake lain. Then we find out that it wasn't Lain that sent out the killing of the Knights, but she just wanted to locate them. The guys in black, which I am thinking is the CIA or some US government agency, were the ones to wipe them all out. They also have been keeping an eye on Lain the whole time. Now why would they keep an eye on her?

I'm thinking, she was what was created with the KIDS device that was mentioned earlier in the series. The family also seemed to be under the employ of the men in black. As with the sister, I'm thinking she wasn't in on it and that the MIB (lol) did something to her memory.

Can't wait.
Dec 8, 2012 2:25 PM

May 2012
Who the fuck is Lain, she never existed? And why did she made that list of all the knights, and why where they all killed, ugh so much questions again. But lol what's up with that one man in black saying he loves Lain, and than that other dude oO?

Damn this is still confusing as fuck :/
Jan 4, 2013 7:14 PM

May 2012
Serial Lain isn't that hard to understand, unless you're a moron. Most people on this site are though for some odd reason.
Jan 7, 2013 7:23 AM
Aug 2011
Are they going to prove Lain the wired consciousness of the Earth? Because he said he created her. She is omnipresent. Yes, I think they will show that she is the earth's consiousness.
Feb 12, 2013 4:51 PM

Jan 2013
Lain is the universe.
Mar 30, 2013 1:29 PM

Apr 2012
Boba_Fett said:
Who the fuck is Lain, she never existed? And why did she made that list of all the knights, and why where they all killed, ugh so much questions again. But lol what's up with that one man in black saying he loves Lain, and than that other dude oO?

by wiping out the knights or the believers of the so called god, they are effectively removing the idea of a higher power, which they mentioned as being a goal later on. without believers or worshipers a god cant be called a god.
May 10, 2013 12:20 AM

Aug 2007
Ah, I wasn't the least bit surprised Lain doesn't have a physical body. I've been thinking that since she showed a different personality her family acting strangely.

I'm guessing Eiri is something similar to Lain, and wants her to leave her "body" and join him with his other followers. (Basically, people who feel that humans need to evolve further, and live in the Wired.) Maybe by getting her to give up her physical ego, he can wipe out her existence entirely and be the only known "god"? Just throwing ideas out there, hehe.

Jun 7, 2013 11:47 AM

Apr 2013
This episode is another simple mindfuck. Cant bring up any ideas. Need to watch till the end.
Jun 27, 2013 6:47 AM

Feb 2013
The Knights felt Lain's wrath. >:D
Also, I thought Eiri was dead.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jun 28, 2013 1:39 AM
May 2013
Every episode bring some answers but more confusion for me XD. What's with the goggles guy randomly saying he loves Lain.
Also, how on earth is the "God" pulling off all this psychological warfare on Lain. I thought he couldn't really affect the real world like she can.

Lastly, I really like Lain when she gets pissed off or whatever. So much cooler, but is that the evil wired Lain coming through?
Jun 28, 2013 2:46 PM

Dec 2012
Maybe and most likely I'm wrong, but from what I can tell the Knights worshipped Eiri as god of the wired world. They believed that the wired world was a higher plane than the real world. On the other hand, that client with the men in black believed that the wired world was no more than a support for the real world. By eliminating the the Knights, he would remove all of god's believers and thus take away that which gave Eiri his godhood - believers.

The line between which world is Lain's true world is blurring each episode, I wonder if she's going to give in to what the wired god was saying or if she finds out that he was lying.
Jun 29, 2013 12:45 AM

Mar 2013
Lains creator is pretty vague.
Jul 5, 2013 6:42 AM

May 2011
Ha, looks like I was right all along - Lain existed primarily in the Wired. While this cleared up some things, it also left me behind a bit... is Eiri the "god", or is that someone else?
VokocaJul 5, 2013 6:56 AM
Aug 13, 2013 3:08 PM

Jan 2012
Why does Eiri want Lain to join the wired so badly?
Most of the questions got answered this episode, but not fully. I mean, everything about her parents did, and msot of her life. So far, i can only agree with what Mr.Face-paint had to say. She never seemed to be alive, and her not having parents... Flip, with two episodes left, i really want to know what Lain really is. I don't believe Eiri too much, he must be trying to gain something, though if he truly loves her...
And when Karl said he loved Lain, i LOL'd. I mean, you could say that he finds her to be such a mystery that he loves her, but come on karl!
Eitherway, seeing those members of knights die had me happy at first, but tbh, i feel kinda sad now.

^Agree with most of what you said!!
Nov 2, 2013 5:02 PM

Feb 2011
the knights got dealt with
and all of lain's life was a lie? o_O well, that would explain why her parents felt so cold
but her "sister" was pretty normal before she got swapped away, guess she'll never come back at this point..

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Dec 7, 2013 7:28 PM
Nov 2013
The idea that Wired Lain was the real Lain, or the original Lain has been floating around in my head for a while now, but as others have said, I'm skeptic of most of what Eiri says.
Dec 7, 2013 10:01 PM

May 2011
the only problem i had with this episode is as to why did Lain cover herself with wires. Is her father involved with the Tachibana Labs and Eiri Masami? "Is a god still a god when nobody worships him?"
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 15, 2013 3:39 AM

Apr 2012
The first conversation is actually really confusing if you are not paying attention. Eiri starts to reads lain's mind and Lain response is to do the same.

It seems that Eiri changed the protocol that controls the wired communication and he implanted himself in it (we kinda already knew that from the last episode in an implied way), and the knights are just pawns of faith to worship him and provide the tools he would need. He's the self-proclaimed kami-sama (god) of the wired.

Lain doesn't believe what Eiri says to her, she still believe in her existence in the real world as a person, that's till her reality starts to change, probably Eiri is trying to implant the idea that she's not needed in the real world. We see how lain's father says goodbye to her, he's not needed to care of her anymore, and the idea of lain being part of the wired is growing inside her.

Now is the time for lain to strike back, lain is pissed and she's after the knights, kami's worshipers. She unveils the identity of the knights in the wired, and of course they are getting erased from earth by the organization that karl and Lin are part of.

After that we see how Eiri still exist even tough he doesn't have any worshipers anymore, he says that lain still believes in him, something is happening inside lain's head.
なんとかなる
Feb 4, 2014 3:54 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The lesson to be learnt in this episode is don't piss off Lain Iwakura.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 6, 2014 4:22 AM

May 2013
This episode definitely made the most sense so far and seemed to clear up many things.

My interpretation so far:

Eiri, with the creation of his residual thought program, was able to transfer his consciousness into the Wired. He is "alive" in the Wired, but dead in real life. He is seen as the God of the Wired by the Knights who worship him. Eiri then created the original Lain: the Lain of the Wired. The physical body of the Lain we know was never the real Lain from the start.

I'm guessing it could have been some other person or a created body in order to later "implant" the Wired Lain's consciousness into it. Everything Lain thought was real (family, friends, memories) was all just set up until her Wired personality would awaken. The awakening slowly and continuously happened when she initially connected to the Wired.

The goal seems to be to break the barrier between the real world and the Wired.
Jun 18, 2014 8:55 PM

Jun 2014
Figured most of this out several episodes ago..
I was surprised when the MiB/Illuminati went and killed all the Knights.
So Michael Jackson created Lain? huh.
Jun 20, 2014 8:19 PM
Jul 2018
Karl x Lain
The ship is real.
That is all.
Sep 12, 2014 11:36 AM

Dec 2012
Marzan said:
The lesson to be learnt in this episode is don't piss off Lain Iwakura.
Sep 12, 2014 11:38 AM

Dec 2012
So what was up with Karl x Lain there, why'd he say that ._.
Sep 21, 2014 3:13 PM

Apr 2014
Lains house is still leaking computers? They need to fix that.
Oct 10, 2014 3:08 AM

Dec 2009
Just want this to be over already! Thankful I can watch all these episodes so closely together, would be confused otherwise.

Think I got what is going on now at least, even if it's kind of boring and not at the same time.

Jan 31, 2015 3:42 PM

Aug 2014
A lot of information in this episode
- Lain seems to be becoming more linked to the wired than anytime before. Her technology is coming out of the wall now and she has it attached to her body too.
- This may be a metaphor for the idea of someone who spends too much time on the internet as Lain's case is how her friends don't associate with her anymore and how she is not going to school anymore.
- Lain was probably the one that killed the knights. I'm not sure why yet.
- That God like being made Lain and she seems to have more power than him.
Feb 7, 2015 11:54 AM
Jan 2012
Karl saying he loves Lain was really creepy, even for this show's standards. On the other hand, Lain's fake dad saying she loved her, was sweet.

So now it is Lain vs. Eiri? Also, RIP in pieces, knights.
Feb 24, 2015 7:47 AM

Jan 2014
This episode definitely made the most sense so far...
Mar 17, 2015 8:44 AM
Jun 2013
its there some point of them talking for one another? I dont get what happened to the family. was it a fake family. did they really exist.wow knights are getting killed. so going by this dude lain never existed and the real lain is the wird.
souledge94Mar 17, 2015 8:49 AM
May 9, 2015 11:27 AM
Nov 2014
Everyone is hungry for lain lol xD. Dis series is getting deeper and deeper as its progressed.
May 23, 2015 8:21 AM

Sep 2014
roboto56 said:
Boba_Fett said:

by wiping out the knights or the believers of the so called god, they are effectively removing the idea of a higher power, which they mentioned as being a goal later on. without believers or worshipers a god cant be called a god.

I liked how this show tackled this topic. Very much reminded me of how Pratchett let one his gods die in that manner. A god that has no believers ceases to exist.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

292 by JosefStalinium »»
Apr 20, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

372 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cureroyale - Jan 27, 2009

123 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 3:43 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

139 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 20, 1:43 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

173 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 19, 11:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.