Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 15, 2014 9:40 AM
Jan 2014
Hi, I just finished Shiki and for the most part I loved it, but I was wondering if anybody else felt like a lot of stuff such as characters or moments could have done without during the show or felt that the ending wasn't right.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 15, 2014 9:50 AM

Jan 2014
FullMetalRain said:
Hi, I just finished Shiki and for the most part I loved it, but I was wondering if anybody else felt like a lot of stuff such as characters or moments could have done without during the show or felt that the ending wasn't right.

I don't remember thinking the ending was like that at all, I must have been pretty satisfied with the way it ended, or it was just average. As I remember, the character development was decent, but could have been improved, yes.
Jan 15, 2014 9:57 AM
Jan 2014
Well to me it felt like some characters were only shown for maybe 5:00 throughout the whole anime and yet they have their own story going on, but we never get to see anything come from it. Like Natsuno Yuuki/Koide who rarely is seen even though I thought he was going to be a main protagonist. Just one example because I feel like I can get into almost all the characters beside the doctor of the clinic, since it seems like he's the only character that we ever watch what he's doing. I understand that the story was trying to point out who the true monsters were, but they added all these people, gave them a little story then killed them...
Jan 15, 2014 11:28 AM

Jan 2013
I pretty much loved it due to its escalating insanity but the moral struggle was really unbalanced and even though the series tried to paint the Shikis as sympathetic, most of them, especially the originals, were unlikable.

I'm still confused on why the priest guy saved the girl.
Jan 15, 2014 11:29 AM

Mar 2011
I think the point of the show was experimenting how various people react to unnatural changes in their community, so their stories are redundant beyond establishing personalities.
Jan 15, 2014 11:54 AM
Jan 2014
Yea I get what you guys are saying, but did any of you else think before you started watching this that there maybe was going to be some crazy girlfriend mirai nikki stuff with vampires that didn't suck? I'm still bummed even though I did like the story...it was the complete opposite of what I had expected.
Jan 15, 2014 11:59 AM

Mar 2008
^Well it's often hard to tell what exactly you'll be in for when you start a show.

The massive and underdeveloped cast list may be attributable to the fact that the story was originally a novel.
Jan 15, 2014 12:40 PM
Jan 2014
I think the too many characters and stories going on kind of ruined it for me, would you guys say the same or were you satisfied with the outcome?
Jan 15, 2014 12:51 PM

Mar 2012
I didn't care for this show throughout.
Jan 15, 2014 12:58 PM

May 2012
Shiki was great tbh.
Jan 15, 2014 1:08 PM

Jan 2013
minescope said:
I pretty much loved it due to its escalating insanity but the moral struggle was really unbalanced and even though the series tried to paint the Shikis as sympathetic, most of them, especially the originals, were unlikable.

I'm still confused on why the priest guy saved the girl.

Agreed. I never once felt bad for the Shiki even towards the end.

And fuck the priest. One of my most disliked characters in anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2014 1:16 PM
Jan 2014
I never once felt bad for the Shiki even towards the end.

Same, what they were doing was murder, but you do have to realize it was also turning the townspeople into monsters, they would even kill each other.
Jan 15, 2014 1:26 PM

Jan 2014
FullMetalRain said:

Same, what they were doing was murder, but you do have to realize it was also turning the townspeople into monsters, they would even kill each other.

Jan 15, 2014 3:08 PM

Jul 2012
[/spoiler
FullMetalRain said:

Hold on hold on........the monk as I like to call him is a hero and here's why
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Jan 15, 2014 3:15 PM

Aug 2010
I loved the ending. Everbody sucks.
Jan 15, 2014 3:18 PM

Oct 2012
It started strong but it kept getting worse and worse.
Jan 15, 2014 3:20 PM

Apr 2013
I didn't like this anime. Too boring. I watched the first 18 episodes and the show still failed to interest me..I think I gave it enough eps
Jan 15, 2014 3:26 PM

Nov 2012
FullMetalRain said:
Yea I get what you guys are saying, but did any of you else think before you started watching this that there maybe was going to be some crazy girlfriend mirai nikki stuff with vampires that didn't suck? I'm still bummed even though I did like the story...it was the complete opposite of what I had expected.
You would like to change higly philosophical anime into some crazy mindless action?

Hell no.
Jan 15, 2014 3:26 PM

Apr 2012
MaxYY said:
It started strong but it kept getting worse and worse.
agree.

Cupquake said:
I didn't like this anime. Too boring. I watched the first 18 episodes and the show still failed to interest me..I think I gave it enough eps
you might as well finish it then.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jan 15, 2014 3:46 PM

Sep 2013
If you liked Shiki you might also like counting floor tiles. You could literally watch 4 episodes of the series and not miss out on any of the story. It boggles my mind that so many people actually thought it was good.
There's no need for all this tension.
Jan 15, 2014 3:48 PM
Jan 2014
Krunchy said:
FullMetalRain said:
You would like to change higly philosophical anime into some crazy mindless action?

Hell no.

Haha why not, Shiki turns Mirai Nikki...think about it...think about it.
Jan 15, 2014 3:51 PM

Nov 2012
Majikkusesu said:
If you liked Shiki you might also like counting floor tiles. You could literally watch 4 episodes of the series and not miss out on any of the story. It boggles my mind that so many people actually thought it was good.
Cause actualy it was good it's your fault if you arent able to count floor tiles.
Jan 15, 2014 3:53 PM
Jan 2014
Krunchy said:
Majikkusesu said:
Cause actualy it was good it's your fault if you arent able to count floor tiles.

No doubt it was still a good anime, but it wasn't what I expected and it also didn't do things right with the characters<---my opinion.

Nov 2012
FullMetalRain said:
Krunchy said:
FullMetalRain said:

Hell no.

Haha why not, Shiki turns Mirai Nikki...think about it...think about it.
I think it would not be that good even if it would better version of Mirai Niki.

Apr 2013
Krunchy said:
Majikkusesu said:

Don't just say it was good, prove to me that it was. I am a horror fan, not just in anime, but in general. Shiki was a horrible horror anime imo because of the slow pacing and weird art.

Jul 2012
Krunchy said:
Majikkusesu said:

Ouch ok guys we all have opinions so let's not fight k

I want to hear why some people think it's crap and some who think its bloody good

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Jan 15, 2014 3:55 PM

Jul 2012
Cupquake said:
Krunchy said:
Majikkusesu said:

Don't just say it was good, prove to me that it was. I am a horror fan, not just in anime, but in general. Shiki was a horrible horror anime imo because of the slow pacing and weird art.

Yeah the art was distracting that was one of its down falls especially there hair I'm like ..........why?!

im a shiki supporter

Jan 15, 2014 3:57 PM

Apr 2013
Animefreak17a said:
Cupquake said:
Krunchy said:
Majikkusesu said:

Yeah the art was distracting that was one of its down falls especially there hair I'm like ..........why?!

Looked like the art I'd expect from like a battle shounen or something. It really threw me off as well
Jan 2014
Animefreak17a said:
Krunchy said:
Majikkusesu said:

I want to hear why some people think it's crap and some who think its bloody good

I'm on both sides of it...There were times where I loved it and it had me on the edge of my seat ready to watch the next episode, but towards the end, while I was waiting for what I thought to be main protagonists to do something, everyone kept dying and *BOOM*
Fin

Nov 2012
Animefreak17a said:
Cupquake said:
Krunchy said:
Majikkusesu said:

I think it was original.
Jan 15, 2014 3:58 PM

Apr 2013
Krunchy said:
Animefreak17a said:
Cupquake said:
Krunchy said:
Majikkusesu said:

I think it was original.

original=/=good It just didn't fit a horror anime well. The art was too in-your-face and pointy. More realistic art could have made some scenes much more dramatic and intense
Jan 15, 2014 4:01 PM
Jan 2014
The more I discuss Shiki...the more I begin to think of how awful it was.
Jan 15, 2014 4:08 PM

Jul 2012
Cupquake said:
Krunchy said:
Animefreak17a said:
Cupquake said:
Krunchy said:
Majikkusesu said:

I think it was original.

original=/=good It just didn't fit a horror anime well. The art was too in-your-face and pointy. More realistic art could have made some scenes much more dramatic and intense

Yep I agree

im a shiki supporter

Jan 15, 2014 4:10 PM

Nov 2012
Cupquake said:
Krunchy said:
Animefreak17a said:
Cupquake said:
Krunchy said:
Majikkusesu said:

I think it was original.

Realistic Art in anime??
Jan 15, 2014 4:12 PM

Jul 2012
FullMetalRain said:

But you have to admit it does bring up a good discussion on what was right and wrong and morality, it's like death note in many ways with its rights and wrongs morality and stuff like that get where I'm coming from

im a shiki supporter

Jan 15, 2014 4:12 PM

Jul 2012
Krunchy said:
Cupquake said:
Krunchy said:
Animefreak17a said:
Cupquake said:
Krunchy said:
Majikkusesu said:

I think it was original.

Realistic Art in anime??

I think he means something like death notes art am I right

im a shiki supporter

Jan 15, 2014 4:15 PM

Apr 2013
[spoiler
Krunchy said:
Cupquake said:
Krunchy said:
Animefreak17a said:
Cupquake said:
Krunchy said:
Majikkusesu said:

I think it was original.

Realistic Art in anime??

it's relative. I hope you can agree that Baccano!'s art is more realistic than Lucky Stars.
Shiki could have made it's art more realistic by making the faces less pointy and normalizing the hair colors.
Jan 15, 2014 4:16 PM

Apr 2013
Animefreak17a said:

I think he means something like death notes art am I right

Yes Death Note's art style would have been better
Jan 15, 2014 4:18 PM

Nov 2012
As for me it's too casual, orginal art is more satisfacting than watching same style all the time.
Jan 15, 2014 4:22 PM
Jan 2014
Animefreak17a said:
FullMetalRain said:

But you have to admit it does bring up a good discussion on what was right and wrong and morality, it's like death note in many ways with its rights and wrongs morality and stuff like that get where I'm coming from

Yea you're right...it's just I had such high hopes for the anime and there were times where I felt like a little kid on Christmas day, overjoyed with excitement....im just depressed now :(
Jan 15, 2014 4:30 PM

Aug 2010
I thought people loved this show, so the reaction in this thread is surprising.
Jan 15, 2014 4:32 PM

Jul 2012
ovoon7 said:

I thought so too despite its fans and art

im a shiki supporter

Jan 15, 2014 4:35 PM

Apr 2013
Animefreak17a said:
ovoon7 said:

Every anime has it's haters. And Shiki isn't even rated that high on mal, so it's not that surprising that there are a lot of people who don't like it on mal
Jan 15, 2014 4:46 PM

Jul 2012
Cupquake said:
Animefreak17a said:
ovoon7 said:

Every anime has it's haters. And Shiki isn't even rated that high on mal, so it's not that surprising that there are a lot of people who don't like it on mal

No no I mean it's sides of seeing things in the anime you have fans on the humans side an on the shikis side and on side is always pissed off at the other sides opinion on the matters

im a shiki supporter

Jan 15, 2014 4:47 PM

Apr 2013
Animefreak17a said:

No no I mean it's sides of seeing things in the anime you have fans on the humans side an on the shikis side and on side is always pissed off at the other sides opinion on the matters

No offense, but I don't really understand what you were trying to say here.
Jan 15, 2014 4:52 PM

Sep 2013
Animefreak17a said:

I might be misremembering things a bit but this is why I didn't like it:
There's no need for all this tension.
Jan 15, 2014 4:55 PM

Jul 2012
Cupquake said:
Animefreak17a said:

I'm explain in death note there's two sides isn't there

1 is that evil people should die which some fans agree on what light was trying to do
The second
2 is that killing is wrong no matter what and no one deserves to die

Your seen the posts for that.

In shiki you have humans killing shiki and shiki drinking blood from humans in order to live.

You ether side with the humans and see the shiki as evil and the monk is a idiot for joining them
Or
Your on the shikis side seeing them as the victims of the series and see how humans are more monster

It depends on why you side with ether one or not. Some people don't choose a side and say everyone in the series is a victim and stuff like that you know

im a shiki supporter

Jan 15, 2014 4:57 PM

Apr 2013
Animefreak17a said:
Cupquake said:
Animefreak17a said:

I'm explain in death note there's two sides isn't there

1 is that evil people should die which some fans agree on what light was trying to do
The second
2 is that killing is wrong no matter what and no one deserves to die

Your seen the posts for that.

In shiki you have humans killing shiki and shiki drinking blood from humans in order to live.

You ether side with the humans and see the shiki as evil and the monk is a idiot for joining them
Or
Your on the shikis side seeing them as the victims of the series and see how humans are more monster

It depends on why you side with ether one or not. Some people don't choose a side and say everyone in the series is a victim and stuff like that you know

yes it's very up for debate, I agree. Kinda like in Shinsekai Yori, where both sides were honestly justified
Jan 15, 2014 4:58 PM

Nov 2012
]
Cupquake said:

it's relative. I hope you can agree that Baccano!'s art is more realistic than Lucky Stars.
Shiki could have made it's art more realistic by making the faces less pointy and normalizing the hair colors.
KrunchyJan 15, 2014 5:02 PM
Jan 15, 2014 5:00 PM

Jul 2012
Majikkusesu said:
Animefreak17a said:

I might be misremembering things a bit but this is why I didn't like it:

Would you say if it was a little longer for to give charecters more development and get to know them all more say.... another 15 or more episodes to give more development, I would say yes if that was the case then yes if it went on a lil longer and didn't have a rushed ending then maybe it might of been a bit better

im a shiki supporter

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shiki Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Dec 30, 2010

958 by mairyland »»
Apr 10, 11:14 AM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Dec 9, 2010

202 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 5:46 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Dec 2, 2010

312 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 5:17 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Nov 25, 2010

226 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Nuzuky - Oct 14, 2010

245 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 12:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.