Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 14, 2014 12:41 PM

Nov 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Wait... So does Murao have feelings for Kou or it's just Kominato's misunderstanding?
Things are about to escalate in the next chapter.
Jan 14, 2014 1:07 PM

Nov 2011
That was a cute little "fight" lol

Hmm dat ending..I got a feeling some misunderstanding is about to happen. At least they got that coin out.
Jan 14, 2014 1:11 PM

Dec 2010
Rinji- said:
Wait... So does Murao have feelings for Kou or it's just Kominato's misunderstanding?
Mmh, I think Shuuko doesn't have feelings for Kou, maybe she just wants to "keep him in check". On the other hand, perhaps she sees Tanaka-sensei in Kou and developed some kind of soft spot for him... but this doesn't necessarily mean she's in love... probably °-°

Anyway, I liked that pillow fight! Kou and Touma have been extremely cold with each other until now, there has been a lot of tension between them, that really helped easing them up a bit!
Jan 14, 2014 1:43 PM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
I don't think Shuuko suddenly developed feelings over Kou, she is probably checking on him like the other person said. Especially when the manga will probably end soon, I doubt the author suddenly decided to put her after him.

I can imagine next chapter Touma finding out that Futaba is with Kou and drama.
Jan 14, 2014 1:58 PM

Sep 2008
I have hope that Kou/Shuuko/Kominato moments means that this is end of Touma arc...
I really get tried with Touma and his jealousy...
but I giggled when these guys thought that Kou is Futaba's boyfriend *.*

I have hope in this school trip there will be lot of nice moments with Kou/Futaba...
I still remember their first trip and their moments *.*
This chapter have cool start and end,
so I have hope now there can be only better for my shipping heart *.*
Jan 14, 2014 2:32 PM

Jan 2014
In my opinion, I really hope that Murao doesn't have feelings for Kou, it would be a disaster.
I have a good time when the group thought that Kou was Futaba's boyfriend.
And I am getting tired of Touma jealousy too.
Jan 14, 2014 3:03 PM
Jun 2010
I think Murao doesn't have feelings for Kou. It's just his misunderstanding and he shouldn't be like that to Kou ):

That pillow fight fight was too adorable for words!!! lol >V<

And that ending... although I do ship Touma and Futaba, and I wanted them together I feel betrayed by my heart. I want Futaba to go back to Kou. Touma and Futaba are super cute together and them feels in this chapter all... KOU. They look EVEN better and God, Kou suffered enough I guess. There should be happiness for him. Anyways, Kou, gambatte! Sweep her off her feet once again!!! FIGHTING!!!
Jan 14, 2014 3:07 PM

Sep 2008
How many times Kou and Futaba saw each others sleeping faces? xD
I like how first Futaba drools in her sleep,
and in next panel when Kou look at her,
she is just sleeping beauty :)
Jan 14, 2014 4:36 PM

Apr 2012
i'm actually hyperventilating waht i hope something good happens in the next chapter. i just really don't like kikuchi.
Jan 14, 2014 5:04 PM

Oct 2013
I think Touma's a good guy. I'm going to feel bad for him when Kou and Futaba end up with each other. *^*

I also sense a misunderstanding about to happen.
Jan 14, 2014 5:34 PM

Nov 2012
I am sorry Kominato, I'll ship Shuuko x Kou. Kou should just leave Futaba alone, whatever she is doing has nothing to do with him anymore. He should just go for Shuuko, and let Futaba enjoy her stalker, correction, her overly jealous perfect boyfriend Touma.
jose21Jan 14, 2014 6:56 PM
Jan 14, 2014 6:53 PM

Mar 2012
Touma bores me so much, for real. when the group thought kou was futaba's boyfriend I started laughing so much

and I don't think shuuko has feelings for Kou (and btw I still ship her and sensei ok)
Jan 14, 2014 8:40 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Haha that pillow fight was cute ^^ Especially Kou, he's just too adorable.

I don't think that Shuuko likes Kou either, but I like their interactions. It seems like she feels bad for Kou, which is another reason that she's watching him, other than making sure he doesn't mess up the "happiness" that Futaba has right now. Although I think Touma is not a bad guy, he's pretty sweet and all, I don't think he's perfect for Futaba. To me, she still seems to be herself the most when she is with Kou. Ahhhh that last page though x_x what is Kou doing???
Jan 15, 2014 1:55 AM

May 2013
what the heck is Kou doing?! are you trying to ruin Futaba & Kikuchi's happiness?
the pillow fight is so damn cute~:3
and I love the way when Kikuchi's jealous lol haha.
but I still ship Futaba & Kou though~
me can't wait for another chapt! ;3
made by bunnyama
Jan 15, 2014 4:13 AM

Oct 2013
I hate Kou. He missed his chance and like, he wants to ruin the relationship that Kikuchi fought so hard to have? Wtf? For me, a guy like him that choosed to be with another girl, even if he had his motives (pity), doesn't deserve Futaba.
Jan 15, 2014 4:16 AM

Oct 2013
And Shuuko DO NOT like Kou xD
Jan 15, 2014 5:59 AM

Jun 2008
Eh, why should Murao like Kou now? I looked through the translation just now, and the only pages I can come up with would be 23 (which would be her watching just in case Kou intervenes with Yoshioka's relationship) and page 11 in the bus. <- Maybe that was it? I think she watched out for what he might do to Yoshioka first and foremost, but then might be reminded of a certain love interest with a similar face.
After that, Kominato sees Murao often near Kou, but following that is the situation on page 23 where she confronts him, which means that all that being close to him was only to ensure Yoshioka's happiness. Page eight might be an indicator that she's thinking of either Kou (-> since she asked Makita if her feelings toward Kou could resurface) or Tanaka-sensei, considering she decided to forget him (I think), but those feelings as well might reappear sometime.
Come to think of it, if there was something like that, maybe Kominato and Kou would end up fighting? Now that may be interesting. Although all three of the girls liking Kou once is a bit... too much. ~.~ It's not impossible, but during the time when she interacted with Tanaka-sensei, you could kind of see that Murao was in love with him and I don't get the same vibes here...
Jan 15, 2014 7:02 AM
Jul 2018
That pillow fight was so random, but completely adorable! I laughed while reading the entire bit.

But yeah, I don't think Shuuko likes Kou, I think she just doesn't want him to make Futaba confused because of the way things are with Kikuchi. And Futaba and Kou's little fight was sooo cute. But I'm still for Futaba x Kou, hehe.
Jan 15, 2014 8:30 AM

Jan 2014
Celilari said:
I hate Kou. He missed his chance and like, he wants to ruin the relationship that Kikuchi fought so hard to have? Wtf? For me, a guy like him that choosed to be with another girl, even if he had his motives (pity), doesn't deserve Futaba.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but what relationship are you talking about? oh, yeah, the one he force into her since he didn't wait for her feelings to change like he said at the beginning. The one he feels so insecure, shown by his jealousy attacks. I bet his previous girlfriend left him for that. Talking about pity, I really hope Futaba is better than Kou, and once she figures out everything, she just break with him instead of continue with him out of pity.
Jan 15, 2014 10:05 AM

Jul 2010
anamisan24 said:
Celilari said:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but what relationship are you talking about? oh, yeah, the one he force into her since he didn't wait for her feelings to change like he said at the beginning. The one he feels so insecure, shown by his jealousy attacks. I bet his previous girlfriend left him for that. Talking about pity, I really hope Futaba is better than Kou, and once she figures out everything, she just break with him instead of continue with him out of pity.

Exactly! Touma is basically a jerk, in my opinion. Sure, Kou was stupid and blew it when he chose to not accept the feelings of the girl he loves because he was afraid she would be hurt by his support of a friend. He should have told her that they weren't dating, he was just supporting her as a friend, but that is in the past. He waited to long to confess because he wanted to "do it right" and make things perfectly clear to the little manipulative b!%@# that he was not going to be her support service anymore.

Meanwhile, Touma, knowing that Futaba still had feelings for Kou and that she was hurting and vulnerable, went ahead and confessed to her even after he admitted that it was not the "right" thing to do and that it was not fair to her. Then, after telling her that he would wait for her to make a decision, he saw an opening after they saw Kou and the b!%@# at the park and gave her an ultimatum, then pretty much told her: "So you're going to give me a shot, right? Cause you're mad at the other guy and you want to make him pay and I'm gonna take advantage of that."

Then, to make matters worse, he used his little "turn 180 degrees" thing that he used for a "perception check" earlier to drive home a point about not "seeing things that are right in front of you" and used it to kiss her while her eyes were closed. She didn't complain about it, but when he kissed her the second time, after her eyes popped open in shock, she did NOT look like a girl who was happy about being kissed (see this image: here) She looked like she was putting up with it, not enjoying it, and perhaps a bit scared. Look at the eyes, and then her brow in the "second kiss". That doesn't look happy. Compare that to the look on her face when Kou kissed her (images: page 36, page 37, page 40, page 41, and page 42). She looks surprised, but not scared after the first kiss. He then TALKS TO HER and asks her to close her eyes if she is willing. She does.

Take a look at the difference between her face kissing Touma the 2nd time and her face kissing Kou the 3nd? time (page 42) that should tell you everything you need to know!

Anyway, I think it was entirely wrong for Touma to do what he did and when he gets hurt it will be all on him.

EDIT: I got the wrong image originally for Kou and Futaba's kiss... Correcting...
zensunniJan 15, 2014 10:33 AM
Jan 15, 2014 1:46 PM

Oct 2012
zensunni said:
anamisan24 said:
Celilari said:

Exactly! Touma is basically a jerk, in my opinion. Sure, Kou was stupid and blew it when he chose to not accept the feelings of the girl he loves because he was afraid she would be hurt by his support of a friend. He should have told her that they weren't dating, he was just supporting her as a friend, but that is in the past. He waited to long to confess because he wanted to "do it right" and make things perfectly clear to the little manipulative b!%@# that he was not going to be her support service anymore.

Meanwhile, Touma, knowing that Futaba still had feelings for Kou and that she was hurting and vulnerable, went ahead and confessed to her even after he admitted that it was not the "right" thing to do and that it was not fair to her. Then, after telling her that he would wait for her to make a decision, he saw an opening after they saw Kou and the b!%@# at the park and gave her an ultimatum, then pretty much told her: "So you're going to give me a shot, right? Cause you're mad at the other guy and you want to make him pay and I'm gonna take advantage of that."

Then, to make matters worse, he used his little "turn 180 degrees" thing that he used for a "perception check" earlier to drive home a point about not "seeing things that are right in front of you" and used it to kiss her while her eyes were closed. She didn't complain about it, but when he kissed her the second time, after her eyes popped open in shock, she did NOT look like a girl who was happy about being kissed (see this image: here) She looked like she was putting up with it, not enjoying it, and perhaps a bit scared. Look at the eyes, and then her brow in the "second kiss". That doesn't look happy. Compare that to the look on her face when Kou kissed her (images: page 36, page 37, page 40, page 41, and page 42). She looks surprised, but not scared after the first kiss. He then TALKS TO HER and asks her to close her eyes if she is willing. She does.

Take a look at the difference between her face kissing Touma the 2nd time and her face kissing Kou the 3nd? time (page 42) that should tell you everything you need to know!

Anyway, I think it was entirely wrong for Touma to do what he did and when he gets hurt it will be all on him.

EDIT: I got the wrong image originally for Kou and Futaba's kiss... Correcting...

EXACTLY my thoughts! Thanks for writing them down so smoothly.

Btw, I don't think Shuuko has feelings for Kou. I think she's pitying him, but she still supports Futaba's attempts to forget about Kou, because she doesn't want Futaba to get hurt again.
Jan 15, 2014 6:33 PM

Jul 2013
I don't think Shuuko likes Kou either. I'm pretty sure she's just wondering if she's doing the right thing by not telling Futaba about Kou's feelings and telling Kou to back off. That's why she asks Makita if she thinks her feelings for Kou could resurface even while Makita has a boyfriend. Makita says no (because she and her boyfriend liked each other mutually when they started dating) and Shuuko takes that as a reaffirmation for her choice to support Touma and Futaba.

The real question here is if Futaba really likes Touma! He's a good guy and should be with someone that actually likes him. She still hasn't said that she likes him yet... and in the last chapter when she ran away from Kou, I thought it was because the feelings she tried to bury were resurfacing.

Anyway, that's my two cents on it. I'm rooting for Futaba/Kou but only after Kou redeems himself, comes clean, and apologizes for being a butthole and everything that he put Futaba through.
(눈_눈)
Jan 15, 2014 6:44 PM

Nov 2012
Shuuko x Kou, please don't sink my ship people. Anyway, does anyone else thinks that Touma will try to rape her, just like Touji in "Peach Girl"?...........Hey, his jealousy attacks are escalating, I wouldn't be surprise.....
Jan 15, 2014 9:21 PM

Dec 2011
So Touma is selfish for going after a girl who loves someone else and Kou is a saint for going after a girl who he rejected/hurt/misused?

I can't.
Jan 15, 2014 9:30 PM

Nov 2012
neo_valkyrie said:
So Touma is selfish for going after a girl who loves someone else and Kou is a saint for going after a girl who he rejected/hurt/misused?

I can't.

Perhaps, you should have erased "So touma is selfish for going after a girl who loves someones else" to make a better point. You should have said something like: So touma is selfish for pursuing his love. That way the answer would have been NO, HE ISN'T, but do you seriously think anybody, as much as they like Touma, would answer the same way to your original question.
BTW, I haven't heard anybody saying that Kou is a saint in this discussion, but no he is not a saint, and who really is or will be in this manga, I mean, for some fans, Futaba will be a bitch for dumping Touma in a few chapters.
jose21Jan 15, 2014 10:34 PM
Jan 16, 2014 4:13 AM

Oct 2013
SilaChiin said:
zensunni said:
anamisan24 said:
Celilari said:

EXACTLY my thoughts! Thanks for writing them down so smoothly.

Btw, I don't think Shuuko has feelings for Kou. I think she's pitying him, but she still supports Futaba's attempts to forget about Kou, because she doesn't want Futaba to get hurt again.

That's EXACTLY what i mean by 'fought so hard'. And the 'manipulative' things you're saying is just him trying to cure her broken heart by building a relationship with him. It's a little forced on the beginning? Yes. BUT, if the autor was not so quick on make Kou fight for her, their relationship would definitely work out (since we ALL now that the end will be FutabaxKou).

note: I don't see the problem in Kikuchi's jealousy, it's on the 'healthy' stage. And you're being hypocrite. I bet when Kou has his jealousy moments you all think 'awwwn he's so cute'.
Jan 16, 2014 4:19 AM

Oct 2013
neo_valkyrie said:

I can't.

That's what i thought too. They're being hypocrite since they favours Kou.
Jan 16, 2014 6:16 AM

Nov 2012
Celilari said:
neo_valkyrie said:

I can't.

Aren't you as well. Forget she said Touma.
If somebody ask you is he selfish for going after a girl who loves someone else would u seriously say that he is not? WTF....
Also, aren't U a bit hypocrite by saying "if the author was not so quick on make Kou fight for her", just after you admitted a sentence before that Touma was little forceful. Hey, don't u think the author was a little quick in making Touma go out with her instead of waiting for her feelings to change, just like he said he would at the beginning.
About the jealousy thing, well IMO that is escalating and will only get worse since their relationship is weak, cause she obviously not over Kou. And imagine how will he react when he finds out she went with Kou.
jose21Jan 16, 2014 6:25 AM
Jan 16, 2014 8:26 AM

Jul 2010
jose21 said:
Celilari said:
neo_valkyrie said:

I can't.

Aren't you as well. Forget she said Touma.
If somebody ask you is he selfish for going after a girl who loves someone else would u seriously say that he is not? WTF....
Also, aren't U a bit hypocrite by saying "if the author was not so quick on make Kou fight for her", just after you admitted a sentence before that Touma was little forceful. Hey, don't u think the author was a little quick in making Touma go out with her instead of waiting for her feelings to change, just like he said he would at the beginning.
About the jealousy thing, well IMO that is escalating and will only get worse since their relationship is weak, cause she obviously not over Kou. And imagine how will he react when he finds out she went with Kou.

Touma even admits that it would be cruel to Futaba to push his feelings on her when she was just rejected. He told her he would wait for her decision, then changed his tune and said he couldn't wait and forced her to answer, right after Futaba thought she saw Kou on a "date" with Narumi. I don't care how much of a "nice guy" his friends think he is, if you act like a selfish jerk, you are a selfish jerk.

Right now, Futaba is trying to like him. She doesn't want to hurt him. She hasn't shown any evidence that she actually feels love for him. (The look on her face when he was kissing her was really, really unpleasant! That didn't look like a girl in love.)

We all know that it won't last. The question is: how bad will it get before they break up. Will he force himself on her? Will he do something he will regret? Will he bow out gracefully? Will he try to hurt the two of them or even just Kou?

I can't help but get the feeling that the story is reaching the end, especially since it is close to the same length as Strobe Edge now.

BTW, did you see the first week sales for volume 9? 203,905!!!! That is HUGE!
Jan 16, 2014 11:22 AM

Dec 2013
I don't think Murao has feelings for Kou, I think he was just keeping an eye on him, since she knows he likes Futaba. I think it was Kominato's misunderstanding.
#nanodayolo
Jan 17, 2014 12:25 AM

Jul 2013
zensunni said:

Touma even admits that it would be cruel to Futaba to push his feelings on her when she was just rejected. He told her he would wait for her decision, then changed his tune and said he couldn't wait and forced her to answer, right after Futaba thought she saw Kou on a "date" with Narumi. I don't care how much of a "nice guy" his friends think he is, if you act like a selfish jerk, you are a selfish jerk.

Right now, Futaba is trying to like him. She doesn't want to hurt him. She hasn't shown any evidence that she actually feels love for him. (The look on her face when he was kissing her was really, really unpleasant! That didn't look like a girl in love.)

We all know that it won't last. The question is: how bad will it get before they break up. Will he force himself on her? Will he do something he will regret? Will he bow out gracefully? Will he try to hurt the two of them or even just Kou?

I can't help but get the feeling that the story is reaching the end, especially since it is close to the same length as Strobe Edge now.

BTW, did you see the first week sales for volume 9? 203,905!!!! That is HUGE!

I ship Kou/Futaba but I actually like Touma. I feel like calling him a "selfish jerk" is going a bit too far. Did he pressure Futaba into giving him an answer while she was feeling vulnerable? Yes. But this is one of those tricky situations in which the end will either justify or condemn the means. Futaba likes Touma, she feels at ease with him, she doesn't reject his kiss, blushes when she thinks of it, appears happy when she sees him... if she ended up falling in love with him, he wouldn't be the selfish jerk who pressured her into a relationship, he would have been the second love who taught her how secure, functioning relationships are supposed to feel.

But it's quite clear that Futaba is going to end up with Kou, which is why we'll see Touma as the one who stole her away from her intended partner... and as a jerk who forced her to choose.

The reason I love this mangaka is because all of her characters are well-rounded and fleshed out. Even if Touma's only purpose was to create some competition for Kou and get him to finally get off his butt and do something, she still took the time to think out his character. It would have been much easier to fall into the typical shoujo manga formula of making him one dimensional (overly obsessive, abusive, or just no personality, etc). Instead she makes him believable. He's honest, straightforward, likable, and yet flawed by being insecure about his relationship and Futaba's feelings. He doesn't overdo his insecurities or express them with childish, passive aggressive acts--instead, he talks to her about it, which I think we can all appreciate. ^_^
(눈_눈)
Jan 17, 2014 1:26 AM

Nov 2012
katarin said:

Futaba likes Touma, she feels at ease with him, she doesn't reject his kiss, blushes when she thinks of it, appears happy when she sees him...

First kiss, there was no way for her to rejected, was there?. Second kiss, her reaction after the kiss wasn't really like she enjoyed it. Anyway, I thought Zensunni previous post with pictures was really good, u should check it out.

katarin said:

if she ended up falling in love with him, he wouldn't be the selfish jerk who pressured her into a relationship, he would have been the second love who taught her how secure, functioning relationships are supposed to feel.

Unfortunately, she is not falling for him, she is just using him to forget about Kou. On the other hand, I fail to see how an insecure and jealous person such as Kikuchi can teach her how secure, and functioning relationships are supposed to feel.

katarin said:

But it's quite clear that Futaba is going to end up with Kou, which is why we'll see Touma as the one who stole her away from her intended partner... and as a jerk who forced her to choose.

Does that mean that if Kou would have fallen in love with Narumi, Narumi would be a saint?

katarin said:
It would have been much easier to fall into the typical shoujo manga formula of making him one dimensional (overly obsessive, abusive, or just no personality, etc).

IMO, he is overly obsessive. Just my opinion I might be wrong. I would say something about the personality, but rather not get into that.

katarin said:

Instead she makes him believable. He's honest, straightforward, likable, and yet flawed by being insecure about his relationship and Futaba's feelings. He doesn't overdo his insecurities or express them with childish, passive aggressive acts--instead, he talks to her about it, which I think we can all appreciate. ^_^

I don't know perhaps the fact that he is almost too perfect makes him unreal to me.
I just can't agree with the bold part. Can you really say that of him when u said it yourself at the beginning that "he pressure Futaba into giving him an answer while she was vulnerable". That is childish right there; actually what would be better childish or manipulative? I went for childish since calling him manipulative might be going too far.

Anyway, I might be wrong, but I think he is wearing a mask, and we are yet to see his true self.
Jan 17, 2014 3:22 PM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
Celilari said:
neo_valkyrie said:

I can't.

Probably because he is better designed than Touma and majority prefers the 'jerk' type of males.
Jan 17, 2014 3:42 PM

Nov 2012
Chinensis said:
Celilari said:
neo_valkyrie said:

I can't.

Probably because he is better designed than Touma and majority prefers the 'jerk' type of males.

I think everyone is missing the point here, I don't think anybody has said that Kou is a saint, but that Touma is not the saint we are supposed to believe he is. Come on, you guys are implying with that sentence that he is being selfish.
I mean seriously, forget Touma for a second, and tell me if somebody ask you:
is average joe selfish for going after a girl who loves someone else? you will seriously say that average joe is not. Who is being a hypocrite now?

Also, even thought I didn't agree with most of what Katarin said, I find it funny that her statement defending Touma was better than any others written by Touma x Futaba fans, and she is not even shipping Touma x Futaba.
jose21Jan 18, 2014 7:04 AM
Jan 18, 2014 11:34 PM

Jul 2010
If a guy's best buddy tells him it would be too cruel to go after that girl because she was just dumped and he says, "I know, but I'm doing it anyway" he is a jerk. Any guy who sees a girl who is vulnerable and thinks "Now's my chance to get in her pants" is not a nice guy.
Jan 20, 2014 3:55 AM

Jul 2013
jose21 said:

I think everyone is missing the point here, I don't think anybody has said that Kou is a saint, but that Touma is not the saint we are supposed to believe he is. Come on, you guys are implying with that sentence that he is being selfish.
I mean seriously, forget Touma for a second, and tell me if somebody ask you:
is average joe selfish for going after a girl who loves someone else? you will seriously say that average joe is not. Who is being a hypocrite now?

Also, even thought I didn't agree with most of what Katarin said, I find it funny that her statement defending Touma was better than any others written by Touma x Futaba fans, and she is not even shipping Touma x Futaba.

Nobody has called Touma a saint either? Everyone in the manga is flawed.

Like I said before, I don't even ship Touma/Futaba, but I feel like those who are very anti-Touma are biased. To begin with, his character was introduced in order to create conflict and to be a hurdle for Futaba/Kou to overcome, so we are already predisposed to disliking him or at least being wary of him.

But let's look at this objectively: what exactly has Touma done wrong?

Claiming that Touma was "taking advantage" of Futaba is insulting to her. I feel like people have this weird idea that girls need to be taken care of and don't understand what's going on and need to be treated like delicate little flowers. Touma clearly tells her that it's okay to date him to forget about Kou. Futaba isn't an idiot, but she does seem to lack perception when it comes to things like love. Touma realizes this and that's why he is always straightforward with her. For example, here Touma says that he'll be "frank." He continues to be frank and honest.
Furthermore, Futaba agrees to date him. Futaba isn't a pushover. She didn't just give in because he pressured her and she isn't the kind of person to go out with someone she didn't like at all. Her feelings may not have been romantic, but she was open to having them grow. Is there really anything wrong with that? I think not. Since both parties in this situation are aware of Futaba's lingering feelings for Kou, I don't see a problem with dating someone in order to forget someone else.

Also, let's look at this from Futaba's perspective. Kou's fault is that he is indecisive and half-assed. He couldn't reject Narumi and he couldn't pursue Futaba. He couldn't be with Narumi, but he also couldn't push Futaba away. Instead, he strung her along for 20-some chapters and even kissed her when he didn't have the resolve to follow through. I ship the two of them, and even I was ready to strangle Kou at that point. Then he follows up by going to Narumi and leaving Futaba hanging. Like dude, I get you have a traumatic past, but do you honestly have no sense at all. Ugh, so frustrating. Anyway. This goes on, Kou stringing both of them along because he can't make up his mind. Futaba all this time just thinks that he's just fooling around and doing things to make her think that he likes her. Then, when she finally pulls up the courage to confess and get rejected, Kou flat out does just that. Then as soon as Futaba seems to be moving on, he's suddenly proactive.

The only reason I'm still rooting for Kou is because the third person perspective let's us see just how much Kou regrets being slow. But regardless, from Futaba's perspective, I can completely understand why she is leaning towards Touma. Kou has given her hope, and then taken it away repeatedly. No wonder she's not buying it now.

Also, to address this point:
jose21 said:
Does that mean that if Kou would have fallen in love with Narumi, Narumi would be a saint?

Not a saint? I don't know where you got that. But like I said, it's a complicated situation. A moral grey area. If hypothetically speaking, if Kou and Narumi did end up falling in love with each other and being happy, who can really say anything about that? Can we say to her, "No, you don't deserve to be happy because you were manipulative." And anyway, Kou was aware of Narumi's meddling. Regardless, this is a moot point since it's clear that Kou doesn't feel that way for Narumi. Let me give a better example:

Sally and John are in love but John (for whatever reason) is unable to be with Sally. Enter Drew, who falls in love with Sally and steals her away from John. Drew and Sally end up falling in love and start a relationship.

Is the way that Drew and Sally got together morally reprehensible? Debatable, but not the point. Does anyone have the right to deny them their happiness? No. This is a rare example of the ends justifying the means.

(Sorry for this lengthy post. When expressing my opinions, sometimes I don't know when to stop typing.)
katarinJan 20, 2014 3:58 AM
(눈_눈)
Jan 20, 2014 2:39 PM

Jul 2010
katarin said:
But let's look at this objectively: what exactly has Touma done wrong?

Claiming that Touma was "taking advantage" of Futaba is insulting to her. I feel like people have this weird idea that girls need to be taken care of and don't understand what's going on and need to be treated like delicate little flowers. Touma clearly tells her that it's okay to date him to forget about Kou. Futaba isn't an idiot, but she does seem to lack perception when it comes to things like love. Touma realizes this and that's why he is always straightforward with her. For example, here Touma says that he'll be "frank." He continues to be frank and honest.

I don't care if you are a guy or a girl, when you have just had your heart broken, you are vulnerable. If you care for a person, you don't try to take advantage of that vulnerability to make them your lover. Lend a shoulder to cry on, wait until you see that they are dealing with things well. Be their friend. But don't go right for the "Date me to forget that guy/girl" route. Gender doesn't matter.

Mind you, Banri in Golden Time did the same thing, but that was less calculated. He didn't think to himself, "I know this is not the time to do this, but I'm gonna do it anyway." He just blurted it out after a night of drinking. He realized it was stupid pretty much immediately. Touma doesn't have that excuse.

katarin said:
Furthermore, Futaba agrees to date him. Futaba isn't a pushover. She didn't just give in because he pressured her and she isn't the kind of person to go out with someone she didn't like at all. Her feelings may not have been romantic, but she was open to having them grow. Is there really anything wrong with that? I think not. Since both parties in this situation are aware of Futaba's lingering feelings for Kou, I don't see a problem with dating someone in order to forget someone else.

Okay... Let's look at how it went down.

1. Touma confesses and tells her to take her time, look at him as a potential match, but he won't rush her.

2. A couple of day after that, he asks her out on a date, but not like we'd be going out or anything, just a trial date type thing.

3. During the date, they see Kou and Narumi walking together. Even though they are not holding hands or even that close to each other, Futaba sees this as a sign that they really are dating. (I thought that was a bit of a stretch, but since he hadn't actually TOLD her they weren't really dating and he was just helping her deal with her situation, it is not too far fetched.)

4. Touma know that this has shaken Futaba up quite a bit. Futaba wants to go home, but Touma pushes her to stay with him a bit longer. Futaba notes that it is odd how he is pushing her.

5. Then, after pushing her to continue the date after she had expressed a desire to go home, he tells her that he tells her he can't wait for her answer anymore because he is "at his limit." then she says:

Futaba: "When I saw Kou and Narumi-san together again with my own eyes, reality kind of hit me. But it doesn't mean I can forget so soon... It'll take some time to forget everything. And, I also can't let you wait for me either Kikuchi-kun, so..."

[realizing that she is about to tell him no, he interrupts her]

Touma: "So be my girlfriend"

Futaba: "Eh?" [Did he hear what I just said?]

Touma: "Like I've said, I won't loose. Even if someone else is in your heart right now, it's OK"

Touma: "I will never let you feel insecure or cry. Yoshioka-san, be yourself and choose me. I'll make you think only of me until you completely forget about Mabuchi."

In short, he wouldn't take no for an answer. When she was clearly going to tell him that she wasn't ready to date anyone right now, he pushed. He wouldn't let her get the words out. He told her. "You'll date me, right!"

Sorry, but that is pressure. He stopped her from saying what she wanted to say and got her to change her mind. Of course, if he was really a nice guy, he wouldn't have put her in that type of situation anyway. He would have waited until she was getting over it on her own or with the help of her friends. He would have been her friend and talked with her.

I'm not saying he is a world class jerk. At this point, Kou is closer to being that than him, but Kou also has some pretty serious trauma he is dealing with which resulted in his behavior patterns. Touma doesn't seem to have a care in the world and just decided that his feelings were more important than what was right for the girl he likes. That is selfishness. (And he admitted before he confessed to her that doing it now was not the right thing to do. He didn't care!)

Man! I hate waiting for monthly manga to come out!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR!
Jan 20, 2014 3:10 PM

Nov 2012
katarin said:
Furthermore, Futaba agrees to date him.

You seem pretty good at using bbcode, please link me a picture of her saying yes (agree to date him).
For the other stuff, zensunni did an awesome job.

jose21 said:
katarin said:

Let me make it easier, and read again as well how you tried to make your point.
Does that mean that if Kou would have fallen in love with Narumi, Narumi wouldn't be so bad?

To me the end does not justify the means, she did something bad regardless; just like Touma is doing something bad.
katarin said:

Let me give a better example:

Sally and John are in love but John (for whatever reason) is unable to be with Sally. Enter Drew, who falls in love with Sally and steals her away from John. Drew and Sally end up falling in love and start a relationship.

Is the way that Drew and Sally got together morally reprehensible? Debatable, but not the point. Does anyone have the right to deny them their happiness? No. This is a rare example of the ends justifying the means.

I need you to dumbed it down a little more for me please, cause I don't understand your example.
You said "They end up falling in love and start a relationship", so does that mean they fall in love first and then started a relationship not the other way around, right.
I guess Touma got the order wrong, he started the relationship first and is hoping for her to fall in love with him. Drew should teach him a lesson.

BTW, why are even arguing, we only said he is jealous (He is, somebody even found it cute), selfish (is he not, from what I understand you guys think the same), so what else is there that Touma is being wrongly accused
jose21Jan 20, 2014 4:58 PM
Jan 20, 2014 3:48 PM

Jul 2013
Touma is going to lose simply because he played everything wrong. Moving in on a girl when things aren't resolved with another guy is always the worst time to do it, and its actually kinda subtly scumbag.

Many characters have commented on his ability to manipulate. I don't think its done in malice buuuuuut he is basically just a plot device for drama. If he didn't exist then this manga would have been over with as Kou/Futa would be living the dream instead of constantly brooding over "if"
Jan 20, 2014 6:03 PM

Jul 2013
@zensunni - There are lots of different people in this world and you're entitled to your opinion, as well as to your interpretation of the manga. In my view, Futaba knows exactly what is going on and isn't doing anything that she doesn't want to do. Also, I didn't say that Touma didn't pressure her. He did. The main thing here is Futaba. And her answer to him was yes.

Here Futaba is thinking that she'll be able to like Touma soon.

Here Futaba answers Touma's confession and agrees to go out with him.
Here Futaba tells her friends that she and Touma are going out. She says that she feels "at east" and "warm" when with Touma, and then Yuuri remarks that there are all different types of love.

Although you may argue that it seemed like Futaba didn't like her kiss with Touma, all she really did was scrunch up her face a tiny bit. Could just as easily be surprise that he went in for the second kiss? Also, you can see here that she smiles and blushes with him after the kiss. She then thinks that she'll continue this "calm, gentle love."
Here Futaba remembers Touma's kiss and blushes. When she sees him, her expression brightens.

@jose21 - I'm not so much arguing with you as I am defending Touma. Y'all are making him out to be this horrible person (i.e. jealous, selfish, manipulative, jerk), but there's more to it than that. Touma is also a high school boy in love (are we forgetting that they're like what, 17?). It's easy to talk about what he should've done or shouldn't have done in retrospect, but the mangaka is going for realism and real life is hardly that simple. Anyway, it's pointless to argue "grey" with someone who insists on "black or white," right or wrong.

Ultimately, I think Touma is a good guy. If I'm arguing anything, I'm arguing that. He's flawed, but well-intentioned and honest at the core. He also fights for what he wants. I, personally, admire that.
I don't think that he's going to do something drastic like force himself on Futaba (not in his character and, frankly, that's not Sakisaka-sensei's style). If anything, it'll be Futaba who apologizes for not being able to forget Kou. Touma will probably end up bowing out.
(눈_눈)
Jan 20, 2014 6:09 PM

Jul 2013
In a way you can place some blame on Futaba here. She is essentially trying to get over Kou by going out with him and hoping that later on it will work out. I also think that she is somewhat misunderstanding her own feeling and translating that into thinking that she might like Touma because that is what she is trying to do (so that she can move on mostly). I don't think she is in love with Touma in the slightest but instead is responding to a guy 100% different from Kou who is upfront and assertive about his interest. She got into the relationship for the wrong reasons imo and Touma is just hoping that he can truly make her fall for him once she forgets Kou.
Jan 20, 2014 6:18 PM

Nov 2012
katarin said:

@jose21 - I'm not so much arguing with you as I am defending Touma. Y'all are making him out to be this horrible person (i.e. jealous, selfish, manipulative, jerk), but there's more to it than that. Touma is also a high school boy in love (are we forgetting that they're like what, 17?). It's easy to talk about what he should've done or shouldn't have done in retrospect, but the mangaka is going for realism and real life is hardly that simple. Anyway, it's pointless to argue "grey" with someone who insists on "black or white," right or wrong.

Ultimately, I think Touma is a good guy. If I'm arguing anything, I'm arguing that. He's flawed, but well-intentioned and honest at the core. He also fights for what he wants. I, personally, admire that.
I don't think that he's going to do something drastic like force himself on Futaba (not in his character and, frankly, that's not Sakisaka-sensei's style). If anything, it'll be Futaba who apologizes for not being able to forget Kou. Touma will probably end up bowing out.

I respect your opinion.
But seriously, is he not jealous, selfish, manipulative... Perhaps his intentions are not bad, but his methods are.
OK, jerk is crossing the line, I don't know if I said he is.

PS where is my picture, and your example better explained. Did I get it wrong? did they fall in love before starting the relationship?
If he would have waited like he said, and then started the relationship, I would be saying Kou is a fucking douche bag trying to get her back when she is already in love with somebody else.

By the way, I just wanna know your opinion, do u think the reason Touma decided not wait any longer was cause he saw them talking in the class and got jealous?
Do you the first kiss (which was in way stolen) was result of him seeing them doing that thing on the window and got jealous?
Jan 20, 2014 6:20 PM

Jul 2013
Touma himself was aware of the borderline nature of his pursuit of Futaba, as revealed in his conversations with his friends before he started.
Jan 20, 2014 6:27 PM

Nov 2012
@katarin
I think you should be brave and just start shipping Touma x Futaba. There is nothing wrong with that. I find it weird how you defend Touma better than any other Touma x Futaba fans. The way you talk, it almost sound like you are shipping Kou x Futaba only cause you rather be with the winning team than the losing one. I wouldn't be surprise if you change of shipping if the probability of Touma ending up with Futaba were higher.
Jan 20, 2014 6:36 PM

Jul 2013
Aerensianic said:
In a way you can place some blame on Futaba here. She is essentially trying to get over Kou by going out with him and hoping that later on it will work out. I also think that she is somewhat misunderstanding her own feeling and translating that into thinking that she might like Touma because that is what she is trying to do (so that she can move on mostly). I don't think she is in love with Touma in the slightest but instead is responding to a guy 100% different from Kou who is upfront and assertive about his interest. She got into the relationship for the wrong reasons imo and Touma is just hoping that he can truly make her fall for him once she forgets Kou.

I agree completely! Futaba is equally at fault, especially if her and Touma's relationship goes awry. She already stated that it would be unfair to Touma to date him while she still had feelings for Kou, but I got the impression that he said that it was alright so that she wouldn't feel guilty for saying yes to him(and also because he really liked her and had "reached his limit").

jose21 said:

PS where is my picture, and your example better explained. Did I get it wrong? did they fall in love before starting the relationship?
If he would have waited like he said, and then started the relationship, I would be saying Kou is a fucking douche bag trying to get her back when she is already in love with somebody else.

By the way, I just wanna know your opinion, do u think the reason Touma decided not wait any longer was cause he saw them talking in the class and got jealous?
Do you the first kiss (which was in way stolen) was result of him seeing them doing that thing on the window and got jealous?

If you look at my previous post, I did include a picture of Futaba agreeing to go out with Touma. It's the second link that I provided, and she tells Touma "Yes. Please take care of me." In Japanese, it's "yoroshiku onegaishimasu," which is like an agreement. She's basically saying "I'm in your care," which means that she agreed to be his girlfriend. Also, she tells her friends that they are going out. That link is also provided in my previous post.

And yeah, there was definite jealousy. Also, since Touma likes Futaba, it's natural that he would be extra wary of Kou. I think he sensed that Kou was starting to lean towards Futaba, which gave him a sense of urgency. Like, "oh, if I don't hurry, the girl I like will be snatched away." He's basically just trying his hardest at his one and only chance.
And no, they didn't fall in love before starting the relationship. Sorry, I guess my example wasn't as good as I thought it was. It was 5am when I typed that up, and I guess it sounded better in my head! But I think that is a personal preference. I don't really think it's wrong to start a relationship without falling in love first--in fact, don't people normally start a relationship with love coming later?
(눈_눈)
Jan 20, 2014 6:42 PM

Jul 2013
jose21 said:
@katarin
I think you should be brave and just start shipping Touma x Futaba. There is nothing wrong with that. I find it weird how you defend Touma better than any other Touma x Futaba fans. The way you talk, it almost sound like you are shipping Kou x Futaba only cause you rather be with the winning team than the losing one. I wouldn't be surprise if you change of shipping if the probability of Touma ending up with Futaba were higher.

Haha! No, I am a hardcore Koutaba shipper. I could write a novel listing off the reasons why they should be together. However, I also like Touma as a character and I just felt like he was being misunderstood. Anyway, we haven't seen enough of Touma to really be able to say if he and Futaba would be a good match in the long run, but I was just defending his moral character. In terms of chemistry, Kou and Futaba absolutely take the medal. (:
(눈_눈)
Jan 20, 2014 6:45 PM

Jul 2013
The only problem I have with Touma is that yes while he liked her she clearly is still not really at that stage of her liking him but he put pressure on her in a moment not too soon after seeing Kou and still being confused.

I don't think hes an asshole or anything, but you won't find any sympathy from me when she dumps him for Kou because he knew all this going in (and as you said he even realized that Kou was starting to come around so he knew that they both liked each other and still went for it).

His interactions with her while they were dating are a bit manipulative but you can't blame him at all for trying to get the girl your dating to forget the guy she was hung up on (I am not even sure manipulation is truly the right word here but meh can't think of anything atm). I didn't like him stealing a kiss (was in a weasley way and too soon imo).
Jan 20, 2014 6:55 PM

Nov 2012
katarin said:
jose21 said:
@katarin

Haha! No, I am a hardcore Koutaba shipper. I could write a novel listing off the reasons why they should be together. However, I also like Touma as a character and I just felt like he was being misunderstood. Anyway, we haven't seen enough of Touma to really be able to say if he and Futaba would be a good match in the long run, but I was just defending his moral character. In terms of chemistry, Kou and Futaba absolutely take the medal. (:

Cool. But seriously, I haven't seem any other Touma x Futaba fans give good arguments. You are good.
BTW, I know he is not that bad, but I really hate love martyrs. I rather them being really bad, like Narumi, than misunderstood.
jose21Jan 20, 2014 7:05 PM
Jan 20, 2014 7:17 PM

Jul 2013
@jose21 - Thank you for the compliment! I try my best to put together well-thought-out responses in all areas. (: And yeah, even though I argued in favor of Touma, I can completely see how his character might have come off badly.

Aerensianic said:
The only problem I have with Touma is that yes while he liked her she clearly is still not really at that stage of her liking him but he put pressure on her in a moment not too soon after seeing Kou and still being confused.

I don't think hes an asshole or anything, but you won't find any sympathy from me when she dumps him for Kou because he knew all this going in (and as you said he even realized that Kou was starting to come around so he knew that they both liked each other and still went for it).

His interactions with her while they were dating are a bit manipulative but you can't blame him at all for trying to get the girl your dating to forget the guy she was hung up on (I am not even sure manipulation is truly the right word here but meh can't think of anything atm). I didn't like him stealing a kiss (was in a weasley way and too soon imo).

Yeah, Touma's definitely feeling the pressure. He'll probably regret moving too fast sometime down the road. To be fair though, I think the only reason Kou is going for it now is because Touma is in the picture. In a way, they're egging each other on and poor Futaba is kind of just caught in the crossfire.

I wonder what Futaba's going to do in the next chapter? It's pretty clear that she's not even close to being over Kou. I think Shuuko is picking up on that because we always see her face and a speech bubble going "..." whenever she saw Futaba smiling widely, laughing, or talking excessively.
Also, in the previous chapter when Futaba and Kou saw the shooting star (am I the only one who thought of Hirunaka no Ryuusei here?), she vision starts getting "sparkly," for a lack of a better word, and then she starts running... but this time away from Kou rather than towards him.

Is she running away from her resurfacing feelings?
(눈_눈)
Jan 31, 2014 2:52 PM

Jul 2010
katarin said:
I wonder what Futaba's going to do in the next chapter? It's pretty clear that she's not even close to being over Kou. I think Shuuko is picking up on that because we always see her face and a speech bubble going "..." whenever she saw Futaba smiling widely, laughing, or talking excessively.
Also, in the previous chapter when Futaba and Kou saw the shooting star (am I the only one who thought of Hirunaka no Ryuusei here?), she vision starts getting "sparkly," for a lack of a better word, and then she starts running... but this time away from Kou rather than towards him.

Is she running away from her resurfacing feelings?

What will she do next? That is the real question, eh? I can't wait to find out.

Not so sure about the Shuuko part. I thought the "..." were mostly her staring at Kou because she knows how he feels.

As for "running away from her resurfacing feelings", yes, she was! Big time!

Oh, and thanks for mentioning Hirunaka no Ryuusei. I started reading it and it is pretty good!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Chapter 49 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

LittleStar - Feb 11, 2015

107 by Rhaelynne »»
Mar 8, 5:59 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Chapter 45 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LittleStar - Oct 11, 2014

98 by CoomSlayer69 »»
Oct 15, 2023 8:32 AM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Chapter 23 Discussion

blue-y - Nov 8, 2012

39 by hydumpling »»
Jul 18, 2023 3:09 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Chapter 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LittleStar - Sep 8, 2012

65 by hydumpling »»
Jul 18, 2023 2:38 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Chapter 46 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LittleStar - Nov 10, 2014

99 by minnaslay127 »»
Jun 4, 2023 9:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.