Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 14, 2014 1:27 PM
Jul 2018
Interesting episode once again. Loved the action scenes especially those colour vibes. Love the opening and ending - it just pumps me up. Well the truth always hurts 'ya know. Defi my fave anime right now. Can't wait for next week!
Jan 14, 2014 1:38 PM
Jul 2013
Nice episode. The pages that were using looked like 4chan.

Poor guy:
http://i41.tinypic.com/20iaqfa.png
Jan 14, 2014 1:38 PM

Jan 2008
Like that OP and the song is by livetune + Galileo Galilei.

That student with the ability to fast forward time was completely stupid. And I don't mean just the student, I mean the power as well.
Jan 14, 2014 1:59 PM

Oct 2011
Horrible teacher. Glad he got what he deserve. Dat baseball bashing. Ah so that's the guy who kills Minimum Holders. Thankfully Murasaki threw the bomb before Nice used his powers. Otherwise that guy would have seen him : O
Jan 14, 2014 2:23 PM

Jul 2013
So the guy they bumped into was the serial killer, interesting. Rest of the episode was meh, 3/5.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2014 2:31 PM

Jan 2010
Boring episode, even when it ends with a serial killer in love with brains...

Jan 14, 2014 3:08 PM

Mar 2013
I saw the teacher being the ringleader coming, but some other parts of the case were a little unexpected. It was also a little obvious that guy he bumped into would be important. What kind of background character has that kind of crazy hairstyle?
Jan 14, 2014 3:16 PM

Jun 2011
What an interesting hobby he got going on there.
Jan 14, 2014 4:00 PM
Jan 2013
man most of the cast here are so mentally crazy that even Izaya from Durarara seems like a normal guy comparing to them XD brain collector it reminded me Psycho pass :P

The story was pretty predictable, but still fun. It kinda sucks that we had the same cast from the prev ep, Koneko and Hajime haven't got their time to shine :P

It is interesting that author must have some kind of strong resentment against people who can't decide for themselves, dont have their own will. Though this happens often in anime but here the author presents it by completely ridiculing people like that, making them stupid, unable to function in life, unable to live outsid of lie

First we got rich boy who followed his fathers without any objection until realizing his father was perverted pedo, leaving kid mentally crashed without realising what to do now?

Then we have two good school kids, who followed all rules properly which turned them into other toys, stucking blindly to live in a lie

Then bomber(though a bit different) who thought doing what others do always is good, so he can bully others, without setting his own priorities
Jan 14, 2014 4:39 PM
Apr 2013
rikuhod said:
man most of the cast here are so mentally crazy that even Izaya from Durarara seems like a normal guy comparing to them XD

So true xD
Jan 14, 2014 4:57 PM

May 2010
last week i said i liked this anime but this weeks episode was WEAK. it was soo predictable and the damn colors every time they use theitr minimum ability are starting to annoy me.

it was a boring episode because it was sooo predictable and the action is just meh at this point.

2/5 not good!
Jan 14, 2014 6:13 PM

Jul 2010
Way better than the first episode. It felt a little rushed but fine.
Jan 14, 2014 6:22 PM

Jul 2013
whats with Nice's band aids??? they just make him look like an idiot

those colors are hurting my eyes....
Jan 14, 2014 6:37 PM

Oct 2013
I enjoyed this episode but it wasn't something special...We are still in the beggining so those 2-3 episodes must be setup episodes...We saw the serial killer and his interesting hobby...

I have a feeling next episode gonna be better

One of my favs this season...I like Nice and his ability so much..
Jan 14, 2014 7:13 PM

Nov 2013
btr than the first episode, but stil zzz.

Looks like the main plot is coming tho?
Jan 14, 2014 8:11 PM

Sep 2013
Fucked up ending 0_0
Jan 14, 2014 8:35 PM

Jun 2009
aaaand here comes the cray.
Jan 14, 2014 8:49 PM

Aug 2013
12 Episodes?!?! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ WHY. I love this series (╥﹏╥) The end part about the Minimum Holder's Brain was just downright creepy and disturbing.
Jan 14, 2014 8:56 PM

May 2012
i really like the animation.. and koneko seems likable..

Jan 14, 2014 8:57 PM

Aug 2013
And finally we get the ball rolling onto our first major arc.

Hmm I feel like the first episode was actually better. Must be because I watched this right after that awesome episode 14 of Tokyo Ravens?
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 14, 2014 9:23 PM

Jan 2009
-----Cons-----
1. Birthday = jackass, prick, reckless

2. Nice = hyper with high pitch guy voice, which comes across as annoying

3. Super powers = predictable, not even buying it one bit. Seen better

4. Story = there is no main story. It's all episodic and ends as soon as the episode ends. Not a deep series at all. Although a main story seems to be unfolding at the end of each episode, the pace to the main story is just terrible

5. This Show = 'monster of the week' vibe, stories end fast & don't last. So predictable that THE HEROS WILL ALWAYS WIN AT THE END OF EVERY EPISODE JUST LIKE Ep 1 & 2.

-----Pros-----
1. The first 37 seconds of the OP song was so beautiful that it made me cry man tears. Such a beautiful song.
2. Voice acting, music, graphics are top grade

-----Verdict-----
-even though the OP song was so awesome and the VA, music and graphics were great, I can't get past how shitty Birthday and how annoying Nice are, superpowers and this show are way too predictable, and the story doesn't last long enough past an episode

-hope u other people enjoy this series. I'm definitely off this train. I rather watch me some ImoCho, Sakura Trick or Engaged to the Unidentified instead of this Hamtaro shit

Ep2: -0/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jan 14, 2014 9:35 PM

Aug 2013
I felt like I enjoyed this episode more than the first, it didn't make me want to fall asleep as much.
Ew brains.
wow gay
Jan 14, 2014 9:41 PM

Jul 2011
I either think this is turning out brilliantly or terribly. I can't tell. :/

Hopefully the former. But I have such mixed feelings about the protagonist and the story so far.
Jan 14, 2014 10:09 PM

Mar 2012
That case and the antagonists were lame as hell. At least the ending was sort of interesting.
Jan 14, 2014 10:51 PM

Oct 2012
pretty good ep, i liked it. i like the i mystery per episode layout too (no annoying cliffhangers). they slowly showed more of the characters (mostly just nice's) past and the brain collecting thing was predictable since the victims from those murders had missing brains.

btw, loving the OP song~
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Jan 14, 2014 11:12 PM

Nov 2011
martyrofevil said:
The main plot that's being set up looks kind of cool but these self-contained mysteries are boring and feel rushed.

Yeah, this Minimum Holder killer is only things,which keeps my interest on show.
Jan 14, 2014 11:15 PM

Nov 2012
wow, so much happening this episode. i kind of liked ep.1 more. but the white-haired guy (who i guess is going to be a major antagonist) seems interesting.
Jan 14, 2014 11:25 PM

Nov 2013
Eudaimonia said:
This show is so horribly written it makes me want to barf. The antagonist's motivation and plan was laughable and the way how everything got resolved was awefully convenient and hamfisted with the Minimum Holder concept being more of a cheap plot gimmick than an actually interesting power. What set Darker than Black apart wasn't the character's various unique powers but how it incorporated these special traits to tell compelling and actually well-written stories.

There's a severe lack of tension for the majority of the episode (the hollow phrases the characters were sprouting from time to time like "Be yourself" or "It's not so bad to live a lie" certainly didn't help) and the concluding scene that was supposed to be Theo's emotional farewell to his teacher was simply cringe-worthy, one of many occasions with horrible voiceacting despite this cast being composed of widely popular VAs (though I guess that's more because of the script they have to comform to than the actors` capabilities themselves).

Furthermore, this show falls short even on a technical level. It's only the second episode and there are already various cases of deformed faces and and derpy character design, the CG backgrounds used for the interiors which seem to aim for a stylish flair just look ugly and awkwardly inserted most of the time and the action scenes are still as short and unimpressive as they were last week. If I wanted to watch the eye-grating special effects used for them I could just change the colour settings of my video player. So far the only truly stylish aspects are still concentrated in the OP/ED.

I don't know why you think this, but I thought the action scenes were sufficient and beautifully animated. I happen to think the stylish flair of the show is rather refreshing and a good addition to my weekly watch list. Also, maybe the creators are trying to give off the detective job type feel for the show instead of pointless action every week which I hope is the case.

However, I do agree with you about this episode being poorly written. I lost interest halfway through and was checking when the episode was going to be over instead of enjoying every minute like last week. The plan was thought out wrong and they shouldn't make it feel like the "minimum holders" are going to solve each case this easily.

I did like how the villian was portrayed and i'm excited to see how this story progresses next week and on.
Jan 15, 2014 12:17 AM

Mar 2013
that fcking teacher >.<
nice OP and ED
another Ilegal Minimums :o
Jan 15, 2014 1:07 AM
Sep 2011
yadayada said:
Eudaimonia said:
This show is so horribly written it makes me want to barf. The antagonist's motivation and plan was laughable and the way how everything got resolved was awefully convenient and hamfisted with the Minimum Holder concept being more of a cheap plot gimmick than an actually interesting power. What set Darker than Black apart wasn't the character's various unique powers but how it incorporated these special traits to tell compelling and actually well-written stories.

There's a severe lack of tension for the majority of the episode (the hollow phrases the characters were sprouting from time to time like "Be yourself" or "It's not so bad to live a lie" certainly didn't help) and the concluding scene that was supposed to be Theo's emotional farewell to his teacher was simply cringe-worthy, one of many occasions with horrible voiceacting despite this cast being composed of widely popular VAs (though I guess that's more because of the script they have to comform to than the actors` capabilities themselves).

Furthermore, this show falls short even on a technical level. It's only the second episode and there are already various cases of deformed faces and and derpy character design, the CG backgrounds used for the interiors which seem to aim for a stylish flair just look ugly and awkwardly inserted most of the time and the action scenes are still as short and unimpressive as they were last week. If I wanted to watch the eye-grating special effects used for them I could just change the colour settings of my video player. So far the only truly stylish aspects are still concentrated in the OP/ED.

I don't know why you think this, but I thought the action scenes were sufficient and beautifully animated. I happen to think the stylish flair of the show is rather refreshing and a good addition to my weekly watch list. Also, maybe the creators are trying to give off the detective job type feel for the show instead of pointless action every week which I hope is the case.

However, I do agree with you about this episode being poorly written. I lost interest halfway through and was checking when the episode was going to be over instead of enjoying every minute like last week. The plan was thought out wrong and they shouldn't make it feel like the "minimum holders" are going to solve each case this easily.

I did like how the villian was portrayed and i'm excited to see how this story progresses next week and on.

The action scenes aren't too horrible by any means (at least they are actually animated unlike, say, Nobunagun), they are just unimpressive and add nothing outstanding to this show especially giving how much more proficient other anime airing this season are in this department and I seriously expect something better from a show that makes such a big deal about its own set of special powers. As to its attempts to create a stylish visual flair, well it certainly seems to try channeling an urban atmosphere but it's not very successful in my eyes for reasons I stated above.

I appreciate style to some extent but not when it's presented so poorly. There's a world of difference between what K, which also couldn't pride itself on storytelling, brought to the table in terms of style (and animation) compared to this. And I wouldn't even mind it that much if it would do a great job as a detective-story but alas it is not from my point of view so there's basically nothing for me to hold onto.
I do agree though that the last scene with the apparent final boss had some eerie soundtrack that was used to enhance the atmosphere rather well.
EudaimoniaJan 15, 2014 4:10 AM
Jan 15, 2014 3:06 AM

Mar 2013
I'll give it one more ep got enough Magic shows to watch and this is the weakest of the bunch so far.
Jan 15, 2014 3:42 AM

Nov 2009
Why is Art from Faculta Academy when he's not a minimum holder?

The minimum holder killer's office looked like Izaya's.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2014 3:51 AM
Jul 2013
Agreed with others on how this anime felt really "boring" as well as rushed. The only thing that kept me watching this is because of the action as well as some animation. Not much humor as well.

Also, how this anime use philosophy in one of their conversations are so out of place or used improperly that it makes laugh and cringe because of stupidity. It would have been nice if they put more effort on a single philosophy like "be true to yourself" in one episode rather than taking multiple ones. It's like the anime is trying to cover up the whacky storyline with "deep" philosophies.

In any case, I'm beginning to lose interest in this anime.
Jan 15, 2014 4:51 AM
Jan 2011
Aw, that's cruel, the teacher is the main leader of the bullies who pick on Theo, and he's a minimum user, Nice for him to die.
Jan 15, 2014 5:16 AM

Jun 2012
Yeah... like a lot of people said, their cases are a little boring and predictable. And it was obvious that the guy Nice bumped into near the end was bad, or at least someone important. But the little bit of action shown is still decent enough to keep me interested, and from the looks of it we might be getting more action pretty soon.

Also, maybe I'm bad at math, but that looked like quite a bit more than 6 brains he had on his shelves. The brain thing and possibly stealing abilities just makes me think of Sylar from Heroes.

Not sure why, but that kid's laughter when he was smashing the teacher's memorial felt out of place to me. Kinda ruined the emotion there.
Jan 15, 2014 6:27 AM

Sep 2009
Am i the only one that mixed up Theo and Nice? They look like twins.
Jan 15, 2014 6:28 AM

Jul 2013
So this is basically HEROES????

Where's my cheerleader fan service??
Jan 15, 2014 6:30 AM
Jul 2013
Yup, me too. I really thought it was Heroes since Sylar uses the brains of the superhumans to take their powers. haha
Jan 15, 2014 7:51 AM

Jan 2012
Really liked the episode! The beginning was just so funny lol Poor Birthday :p
Probably my favourite for now from this season oO
Jan 15, 2014 8:01 AM

Apr 2013
Haha this is crazy.
Great episode.
Jan 15, 2014 8:26 AM

May 2012
Meh. 5/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jan 15, 2014 8:47 AM

Jul 2010
yeah this anime does not live up to my expectations so far, feels a bit like a copy of previous anime of this genre. There is no depth to the characters or the plot so far. Which is fine, since it's only the beginning, but how am I supposed to enjoy the first episodes when I can't feel empathy for the (so far one-dimensional) characters?
The anime can probably still become very interesting, so I'm not giving up on it, but this episode seriously lowered my expectations. So many main characters are still not seen in action...
3/5, being generous.
Jan 15, 2014 11:57 AM

Jul 2009
i think this show is pretty good. the mystery is not bad, a few cliche plot twists but twists nonetheless. will continue for now. 6/10
Jan 15, 2014 2:07 PM

Jan 2008
I don't know what to think about it, yes, it isn't ultra great, but I think it is nice to watch and it doesn't bore me, so I guess it will be my guilty pleasure for this season :D

Also,
minescope said:

@11:34 - It looks like the villain was in charge or at least was involved in whatever facility Nice and the others were tested in. Uh oh, don't tell me all those brains are from the minimum holders who didn't pass their standard.

I did not notice this at first O.O
Jan 15, 2014 2:20 PM

Mar 2012
That main villain looks like one creepy fella.
Jan 15, 2014 3:08 PM

Oct 2013
alexpte said:
And another case closed. Seems like the main plot is setting in

Yeah! Definitely one of the better plots too
Jan 15, 2014 3:23 PM

Sep 2012
That villain at the end was really creepy
and I can't get tired of this ost
O importante não é o que fazemos de nós, mas o que nós fazemos daquilo que fazem de nós
Jan 15, 2014 4:08 PM

Dec 2013
Another good episode, still one of the two anime from this season I'm deciding on as a "favorite". The "case of the week" setup probably won't last long, the main plot will take over eventually. But, it does give the characters something to do in each episode while the background is unfolding around them. You can't just put them in a battle with the main villain from the start of episode one and expect it to carry the whole season. I'm still loving the art/style of this series, it seems all of the other shows are more worried about making their animation top notch. In that case, you do end up with nicely drawn animation that lacks the style/flare to set it apart from every other top notch animation project going on.

Birthday getting arrested in the beginning was hilarious, especially the way they talked about it at the bar. The case was nothing special, just something to pass the time. Nice's powers are still holding my interest, trying to figure out exactly what he can do with them. The main villain at the end is definitely a nutty, creepy Sylar from Heroes; but that is alright with me. Maybe it can make up for how bad Heroes sucked.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Jan 15, 2014 4:56 PM

Oct 2013
Okay episode, but still enjoyable. Murasaki is hot.
The antagonist with his brains tho. He seems interesting... Gotta love creepy characters *^*
Jan 15, 2014 5:04 PM

Jul 2013
Hajime and Nice wanting a fried cutlet sandwich~
fun episode, nice case
the bomber has a few screws loose
Liked Nice's expression during all that, completely calm
Murasaki was a badass during that though
brains of former minimum holders used to create new ones?
and this serial killer..
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hamatora The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2014

262 by Mishiia »»
Mar 1, 12:22 AM

Poll: » Hamatora The Animation Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2014

105 by Destroyer31 »»
Aug 22, 2023 7:26 PM

Poll: » Hamatora The Animation Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2014

133 by enterlowa »»
Aug 2, 2023 3:47 AM

» Does anyone else think this anime is very shallow?

7EJh77b - Dec 7, 2015

4 by BreakApart »»
Sep 3, 2022 11:44 AM

» Worth Watching?

_txhsin__ - Jun 1, 2022

8 by Kibbi500 »»
Jun 3, 2022 9:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.