Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 12, 2014 1:14 PM

Sep 2012
Tyrel said:
Don't think I'll be able to take this a serious as Idolmaster/Love Live.

I'm not sure what gave you that idea but there is clearly more to WUG than, say, Love Live.
Jan 12, 2014 3:01 PM

Mar 2013
so the president took the money and ran huh? i guess i'm not surprised it should of raised a flag when the girls found out they were named after a love hotel lol. I enjoyed it and i think it has potential but it didn't leave a very big impact on me. but i look forward to seeing where it goes
Jan 12, 2014 5:13 PM

Feb 2013
That was very enjoyable :)

Better than Love Live! and Idol Master. Not to the level of AKB0048... but I wasn't expecting that either.

They did a great job building things until the concert at the end. As soon as their performance started, pure smiles :D

(darn you mal, fix img so I can have Wake Up Girls in my sig!)
I never new "showoff panties" was a thing...
Jan 12, 2014 8:13 PM

Oct 2013
Foolishly I watched EP 1 of the series first and nothing made sense. Ha ha.

I quite liked this. It was decent and leaning a bit more toward drama.
Backgrounds, etc looked good enough and I thought the character designs were nice. Admittedly I had trouble remember seven girl's names.

Now I'll watch the fist EP of the series again. ;)

Speaking of idols: All Hail BABYMETAL!
Jan 12, 2014 11:01 PM

Aug 2011
Jan 13, 2014 12:42 AM

Aug 2013
I don't really like idol-based series or movies, but this one is not bad. I'm looking forward to watch the whole serie.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 13, 2014 5:04 AM

Mar 2009
Wasn't expecting much, but that was actually pretty good. Their performance was great! The songs was really good and the choreography was awesome too!

For some reason I feel like the Producer lady left on purpose to bring the group together and have a trial to face. Maybe not, she does seem like the type that would take all the money and run, but it would be cool if she came back in the first episode, and was like "Good Job, you passed!" LOL

Wasn't expecting to watch this series, but if the first ep holds up to the movie I think I will.

8/10

Urahara Out!!
Jan 13, 2014 8:59 AM

Oct 2011
Great start to a series! I love idol anime and this looks like it'll be a good one. I like how the girls don't all look wildly different and have ridiculous over-exaggerated personalities, they're much more like "real" girls. Not too keen on the fanservice, but I enjoyed their debut song too. Looking forward to seeing the group grow!
Jan 13, 2014 10:00 AM

Dec 2011
The first few minutes of this were awkward and slightly uncomfortable with that guy's rather dodgy recruitment methods. But it turned around fast and by the end I had truly grown attached to it all.

Doing this was a brilliant idea.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 13, 2014 1:49 PM

Jun 2012
Esclair said:
Most idols are terrible live singers. Just look up some of the AKB live singing clips.

Also, the panty shot thing at the end is referring to the policy of having idols wear 'shorts' or 'show-panties', ie, panties that look like panties but are not panties, which are acceptable to show compared to normal panties which are not. The girls themselves feel that there's no need for it since this is going to be their last concert anyways, and also since they're not famous, their 'image' is not worth anything in the first place.

I suppose I ought to explain myself.

I've got nothing against idols being poor singers, but I do find it funny that the scene that convinces him that she's amazing is her singing, because of how wonderful it is, and not her dancing, or something else showing her idol aura.

I also understand the concept of "show panties," but was more referring to how the makers decided to intentionally flash panties and include the scene talking about them in the first place, as it's not entirely necessary. That being said, for me at least, I think that scene did contribute to the humor, although I'm unsure if that was intentional.
Jan 13, 2014 2:59 PM

Jul 2010
It was painful to watch till the truly end. Gosh, never again.
Jan 13, 2014 6:12 PM

Jul 2008
Good episode. I like the catchy song they sing at the end.
Jan 14, 2014 4:23 AM

Jun 2008
Didn't like any of the girls.

Did like the song though.
Jan 14, 2014 8:51 PM

Jul 2008
I feel like the President of that talent agency is the same as the people who made this anime. Just looking for money by capitalizing on the latest trend (though you could probably say that about most anime series).

It was really boring to watch. The animation was nothing special (they look like demons when they cry), the character designs were all bland. None of the girls really stand out for me, even the "center". The girls don't even have a lame trope they can capitalize on. They are just there.

I admire the idea of hiring 7 new girls to do the voices and simultaneously form a real idol unit, but it shows that they are newbies. The voice acting didn't do anything for me...a lot of the girls sounded like just people, like anyone could have done their voices.

The insert songs were all right. If this show is going to produce anything worthwhile, it might be the music. I hope the TV anime has more songs and they don't end up just reusing two or three for the series run.
Jan 15, 2014 1:10 AM

Aug 2013
Wow, so that's how Music / Idol genre does its animes... This is my first time watching this kind of anime, all about idols and stuff.

So when you started it you'll get hooked to it huh... The story was quite interesting, from being an idol to a normal student and back to being idol again..

Wake up Girls Love hotel, Hahahaha! It looks like they're endorsing that love hotel for free hahahaa!

Dat President Tange running with their funds, I felt bad for the manager. So that's why the pres is quite while talking to Twinkle huh...

Their Debut, how sad but as the flyer goes to the internet world, nothing is impossible, also with Shimada Mayu's fans who misses her. I bet they'll be rising fast. Looks like I'll be watching this hahaha! Nice one!
Jan 15, 2014 9:08 AM

Jul 2010
Tyrel said:
Don't think I'll be able to take this a serious as Idolmaster/Love Live.

I hope that was sarcasm, since this show is considerably more serious in tone than Love Live. (I haven't watched Idolmaster, so I can't say anything about it.)

It takes a serious, critical look at the idol industry, at least in the movie. It was one of the best "first episodes" of the season in my opinion.
rebpanda said:
Watch the movie first. It's pretty much ep. 1 of the series. The first episode might not make much sense without the movie, I think.

I think there's potential here, but two things made me think a little bit:

The first is that the "center" of the group and former idol was singing flat when she was in the park. To be fair, I suppose, it's not amazing singing that makes an idol, but from my experiences in musical theatre, that kind of singing wouldn't land a main role.

The second would be that panty shot thing in the end. I'm not sure whether this was more of a joke that was poking fun at fanservice, like "Oh, here's some obligatory fanservice!" or if it was simply fanservice. That being said, it's somewhat funny that the man that planned to bring an end to the era of moe is doing a show like this.

A) How can you tell that she was singing "flat" when she was singing by herself with no accompaniment? Or do you not mean "flat" in the way that musicians use the word? (I, personally, thought her voice sounded very good. Not like a superstar or anything, but very pretty.)

B) My take on the panty shot thing was that it was story driven. The dance was designed with the intention of performing on a real stage with real costumes that would have the normal "cheerleader" style skirts that have color coordinated "panties" built in and do not "show" the girl's panties in a way that is lewd or "wrong". When "stuff" happened, the costumes went by the wayside and the manager only thought about the panty issue at the last minute, when it was too late to get "performance panties" for the girls. But the show must go on! The girls agreed that it was no big deal and went about their business.

This is far more realistic than the way most anime girls view panties. Sure, girls don't really want to flash their panties to the world in real life, but, for the most part, they don't go into apoplectic fits if a guy sees them.
zensunniJan 15, 2014 9:22 AM
Jan 15, 2014 9:34 AM

May 2013
I liked it.
Jan 15, 2014 1:35 PM

Apr 2007
I thought this was another stupid moe moe kyun idol show for quick fanservice, but it's actually a somewhat serious look at how to make it in the entertainment industry. It's kind of... boring at the moment, but I'll see where it goes.
Jan 15, 2014 7:16 PM
Sep 2011
The best thing about this anime is that is seems more grounded and realistic than other idol anime like Idolm@ster and Love Live which have the idea of being an idol as super cute! fun! always happy!!! whereas this does point out a few times that the idol industry is actually kind of creepy and is kind of exploiting young girls - one of the idols being only 13 - and focuses a lot on creating an unreal 'ideal image' of a perfect and pure girl to cater to fans - like the sudden 'are you a virgin?' question - and on fanservice for a mostly all-male audience - like the discussion at the end about needing to buy certain pantsu to wear under their skirts, and the girls being like 'no it's just extra fanservice for the guys...'

idk somehow it feels a lot more gloomy and down-spirited than most idol anime, which is usually nearly always silly and fun and colourful and 'cute', this definitely is giving more hints that the idol industry is kind of messed up

I wonder if it keeps this up... it would be interesting to see an idol anime that is actually critical of the industry.......
Jan 16, 2014 8:56 AM

Jun 2011
I haven't finish watching the movie but damn, I couldn't sympathize with that Mayu at all, all of the sudden, crying after watching her own I1 video, then running out of her house and made a dramatic entrance at the agency? -.-

Edit:
Damn, rather good concert, but guess what? Ruined by the unnecessary panty shot. Forgot to buy the so called "show up panties"? Dafuq? Really? -.- There are better choices there to show how determined these girls are, right? Moreover, what will the audiences think when they saw those panty flash? They just debuted and already showing skin? Come on..

At the end, I kind of like that fat dude, who seems like a true fan.
ToG25thBaamJan 16, 2014 9:13 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jan 16, 2014 9:27 AM
Dec 2013
The film is really good. It's looks like a extended cut version for the first episode. Because I listen lots of Opening and Ending songs for other animes, I love to watch this anime series.

Putting all MP3 files and converted it to the lossless audio!!
Jan 17, 2014 6:48 AM

May 2010
That animation!

I already love that maid idol. These idol anime might be my kind of anime. Mayu's friend's personality is pretty bland, her VA isn't all that good either.

Did I just hear Haiyoru Nyaruko's opening song? Haha, now I understand why the president asked such a strange question. Woah, she ran away! It's good that Shimada joined them but what exactly was the reason of her quitting? Didn't like that one scene, but from that onwards, everything was very enjoyable.

That song! I am in love..

8/10
Jan 17, 2014 10:05 PM

Jun 2012
zensunni said:

rebpanda said:
snip

A) How can you tell that she was singing "flat" when she was singing by herself with no accompaniment? Or do you not mean "flat" in the way that musicians use the word? (I, personally, thought her voice sounded very good. Not like a superstar or anything, but very pretty.)

B) My take on the panty shot thing was that it was story driven. The dance was designed with the intention of performing on a real stage with real costumes that would have the normal "cheerleader" style skirts that have color coordinated "panties" built in and do not "show" the girl's panties in a way that is lewd or "wrong". When "stuff" happened, the costumes went by the wayside and the manager only thought about the panty issue at the last minute, when it was too late to get "performance panties" for the girls. But the show must go on! The girls agreed that it was no big deal and went about their business.

This is far more realistic than the way most anime girls view panties. Sure, girls don't really want to flash their panties to the world in real life, but, for the most part, they don't go into apoplectic fits if a guy sees them.

Considering the relevance of the panty flashing in the second episode, I redact my initial comment on the panties. That being said, yes, I was talking about her pitch, and not the quality of her voice. One could argue that she's singing very, very, very, sharp, since pitch is all relative since there's no sheet music to reference, but she's closer to singing flat. Whatever it was though, it wasn't conforming to A440, which while it's a western standard, is still relevant in this sort of music.
Jan 17, 2014 10:20 PM

Apr 2012
I thought it was going to be crap, but it was actually rather good.
Jan 18, 2014 9:26 AM

Feb 2013
I can't really say whether it is good or bad but it's enjoyable... sometimes I found this kind of anime where the show is not good or bad but enjoyable...

am I the only one who think that the president missing is just her scenario to make the team more solid? I remember she say something about hardship will stronger their bond...
Jan 19, 2014 9:04 AM

May 2012
01:09 Otaku spotted

01:27 "Ai Wan Kurabu!"

02:55 nice ketsu

22:05 Junkosan <3

46:47 bingo, otaku!

7/10.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jan 19, 2014 11:35 AM

Jun 2011
The debut performance was good.

Great introduction episode to get to know the characters and what they have to go through before episode 1.
Jan 26, 2014 8:54 AM
May 2012
I actually watched Ep 1, then i learned there was a prequel, damn. But it was all worth the watch, it really felt more realistic than some other idol animes I have watched.
Feb 2, 2014 6:17 PM

Feb 2014
Esclair said:

Most idols are terrible live singers. Just look up some of the AKB live singing clips.

Also, the panty shot thing at the end is referring to the policy of having idols wear 'shorts' or 'show-panties', ie, panties that look like panties but are not panties, which are acceptable to show compared to normal panties which are not. The girls themselves feel that there's no need for it since this is going to be their last concert anyways, and also since they're not famous, their 'image' is not worth anything in the first place.

Thanks for the clarification of the panty shot. After watching the movie, I'm like this is a serious looking anime with pantyshots. Now I know why.
Mar 8, 2014 11:26 PM

Feb 2010
It was a Nice Movie and now I can start watching the TV Series.

The Song at the end was pretty nice
Mar 12, 2014 10:54 AM

Mar 2012
I think that the animation was fucking great, even the rain on the windows was well animated *-*

Interesting prequel :D
Apr 8, 2014 2:32 AM

Aug 2010
Not really a fan of idol-focused stuff, but this movie was surprisingly well put together, I liked the characters, the story and the music. 7/10.

Ps: I literally had to pause my player when they started singing the Nyaruko song, I really didn't expect that.
Mogami-kunApr 8, 2014 2:41 AM
Apr 11, 2014 6:07 AM

Aug 2013
" wake ups girls " was awesome ! That was very enjoyable .And the song and dance at the end was awesome !

(watching the series now)
lesna02Apr 11, 2014 6:10 AM
May 2, 2014 8:06 PM

May 2012
Pretty lovely start I must say, the characters sure are lovely and the overall setting seems to be rather strong so let's see what the series have to offer but with a good start like this I've got quite a good feeling about it!
May 21, 2014 2:38 PM

Aug 2012
Decided to watch this after meeting the Wake Up Girls at my recent anime con, and it was good. This was my first Idol anime, so something different was nice.
May 23, 2014 8:34 PM

Dec 2013
I was really surprised about this movie. I thought it would be overly "moe" and have cliche characters but I was more off then I'd have guessed. The thing that surprised me most was their music. Coming from a guy that prefers metal and alternative and hates pop, I actually liked their song and the other music choices. Idk why I do but it is definitely good by my extremely picky standards.
Examining one series under the magnifying glass at a time.
Jun 4, 2014 9:49 AM

Dec 2012
Not a bad start. It's another idol anime while also being its own idol anime. I-1 reminded me of AKB0048 (I should get to S2 already). I like how the movie was able to get all of the introductory material out of the way for the tv series. Matsuda reminded me of Producer-san. I never liked that manager woman and her bailing out only helped me dislike her without regret. I really enjoyed their opening performance, especially how the lyrics weren't all "fluffy fluff I love you" like big shot idol groups usually are in anime. I like the ones that are more about working hard towards realizing dreams. Looks like that die hard idol fan pulled through at the end with his "encore! Okay!" The girls were so cute when they started honestly gushing over getting to go again.

Anyway this was a nice prequel and I now look forward to the tv series in the near future.
Aug 4, 2014 8:46 PM

Feb 2013
The panty-shots at the end are not as off-putting as they were the first time I watched this. This time I wasn't offended at all... maybe because I knew it was coming, or because I know what type of anime Wake Up, Girls! is, being more realistic about the idol industry.

Still the 2nd best idol anime.
Aug 15, 2014 12:54 PM

Jan 2012
fuck me...

I drop this kind of shit 99% of the time

but i'd be lying to myself if I said I didn't enjoy this

that old hag manager and decent dude kept the show alive for me I guess

animation was great as well.. no shitty CGI and shit

song was actually not that cringe worthy but still not my cup of tea

Love Live! is the only other anime of this genre that I actually finished and enjoyed.

everything else that I've seen are garbage....
Mar 19, 2015 6:17 AM

Aug 2009
I loved how it was way more realistic and not as fluffy and happy as iDOLM@STER and Love Live. The drama was pretty well done too. The girls are also pretty realistic and not so stereotypical like in Love Live and Cinderella Girls.

Good movie. I'm definitely looking forward to watching the TV anime now.
Apr 7, 2015 7:19 AM
Nov 2014
Nice way of starting the serie. I somehow liked all 7 main characters, at first I thought that some were going to be super annoying. Overall it was pretty good.
💕 Monocision 💕 - Disqus
Apr 8, 2015 6:07 AM
Nov 2009
Deathless said:
11:10 - It's quite short and doesn't really have unique sounds, but is manager's ringtone is Robo's theme from Chrono Trigger?

You know what, yes. It totally is. A part of the music also sounds like Yearnings of the Wind, the overworld music from Chrono Trigger (such as in episode 4 at 9:05 or so).
Dec 15, 2015 4:11 PM

Apr 2012
I-1 Club looks like bland-name AKB48.

Goddamn I love President Tange. Naming the group after a love hotel lol

The recuiting parts at the beginning were funny too.

The girls were okay, didn't really "bond" to any of them but I guess there's the series for that (I paused my watching of the series when I realized there was this prequel). I love how the movie shows how harsh the entertainment industry can be. They really didn't show what the whole deal with Mayu is but I suppose the saved that for the series.

The performance isn't CGI! Totally awesome.

Now time to continue watching the series (I watched ep 1 "What the hell, they already debuted? Oh well -shrug-" then I realized there was a movie so I decided to watch this first)
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Dec 9, 2016 4:43 AM

Dec 2014
I really liked the movie. I don't know, I guess I'm a sucker for the whole starting from zero thing.
The recruiting and formation was pretty nice.

The producer lady was boss, Holy crap! Though, I really can't believe she actually scammed them like that. Felt really sad for the girls.

Liked all the girls, Mayu the most. Felt for her as she suppressed her feelings over her past trauma, The part where she dances outside watching the other girls dance was really bittersweet. It was really sad when she cried watching her own video and how much fun she had.
I'm glad she joined the group after realizing what she wanted to do.

Performance was great, Those panty shots though. XD
Otaku dude ftw, Encore!Encore!

I wish there were some extra scene with Mayu training with the other girls after joining instead of just skipping to the concert.

8/10 , Here's to hoping the TV series is just as good.
Jan 23, 2017 12:03 PM

Jul 2014
lol at the love hotel name. Wow for once I enjoyed this, even though some parts were cringy. I thought this was better introduced than iM@S.

8/10. onwards to the TV.
Mar 18, 2019 7:21 PM

Oct 2015
Still cannot believe Junko left the girls, at first I thought it was a trial on her part but I guess she really did ditch them. I am really curious about the TV anime now, I guess we will watch and see.

7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 24, 2019 6:15 PM
Nov 2014
Great anime, solid 8/10. I'd probably need a review to express exactly how I feel about it, but like @Mitch666 pointed out long before me a fitting song for a moving ending, which is really the highlight of the anime. In short, I would compare this anime movie/OVA to Sucker Punch. Meaning strong characters striking a blow at life's harshness and the looming ghost of negativity and triumphing in the end in spite of all the obstacles.
Jan 1, 2020 7:29 PM

Nov 2012
Is this wake up girls beyond the bottom?
The synopsis doesn't seem to match the movie that I just watched.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Jun 12, 2021 2:10 PM

Feb 2020
Very good movie.

I really loved their song Tachiagare! (Stand Up!) at the end.

SerafosMar 10, 11:21 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Movie CMs

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

0 by Stark700 »»
Jan 7, 2014 9:44 AM

» Beginning Part of the Movie on Nico Nico Douga

tsubasalover - Dec 27, 2013

0 by tsubasalover »»
Dec 27, 2013 3:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.