3It was OK
13.0%
2Disliked it
0.0%
1Hated it
0.8%
Average 4.3
123 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2007 12:52 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty nice episode, it's interesting how those guys are connected. Very much looking forward to the next episode.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 10, 2007 2:30 PM

Nov 2006
This episode was great.
Masayuki ftw. Watching him get so extremely freaked out when faced with "heights" is rewarding after seeing him treat the two relatives (wtf, by the way) like crap.

Need moar~
Nov 10, 2007 11:12 PM

Jun 2007
I was never really interested in the premise but being a Production I.G. fan I decided to give it a try and although I felt like dropping the series, every episode I watch makes me more curious. This one was no different. I can't wait to see what they find in that hospital. I also want to know what that girl's connection is to them. Can she see the past or something? And what were those monsters?

Nov 11, 2007 1:38 AM

Jul 2007
This was by far the most coherent episode in the series! What's happening to this show? Where did things go wrong! ^^'

/jk

Okay, serious mode now. This episode was the least surreal so far. I was a little bored by last episode, which I think most people enjoyed more than the first episode, because it explained what was going on more except they were mostly things I'd already inferred on my own from just the first episode. I guess it's because I watch too much anime for my own good because I didn't find episode one that confusing at all. But this episode actually moved the story along while.

Masayuki has been bothering me for a time so I'm glad we're given some more insight into his character. At best he's a rude busybody, at worst an intelligent bully who knows he get away with the way he treats people because the average well adjusted Japanese is too well behaved and polite to tell him to shove off. Now that I've seen this episode I've come to the conclusion Masayuki is very broken and pitiful person. He's missing something that most normal people have that let them recognize emotional cues in other people. I think he acts the way he does because he can't recognize other people's discomfort so he'll just keep pushing the limits of his bad behavior until that person finally pushes back and does something that clearly indicates to him to stop, like threatening to kill him. I think he's missing this crucial element because the traumatic experience he went through at his old school forced him to bury that piece of himself somewhere so he doesn't have to deal with all the scary emotions caused by the trauma. As we can see, when his phobia is triggered he literally comes apart.

Masayuki is also a compulsive liar. I'm pretty sure his explanation that he transfered here because his dad works in the area is a lie, or at least a white lie. His parents are clearly separated (though it's possible his mom is dead) and it's true his dad works there but I don't think that's why Masayuki also decided to move here as well. I think he was forced to transfer here because of what happened at his old school. He's using his dad's job as an explanation for his transfer. I don't think he intended to come live with his dad until the thing at his old school left him with no choice but to leave. He doesn't seem to like his dad.

But the biggest lie is the lie he tells himself. Masayuki is not afraid of heights. He is afraid of anything that reminds him of the incident at his old school and since it was a death resulting from jumping off of a roof he's terrified of looking down from a high place. He also seems to be afraid of looking up from the ground at high places too which has nothing to do with a fear of heights yet for some reason it causes the same reaction in him.

Don't get me wrong, I think Masayuki's a great character, a very messed up and interesting great character. He's still a prick though.

Sorry if that came out all long and incoherent. It's 4am where I am and I can't fall asleep.
Nov 11, 2007 4:46 AM

Feb 2007
tungwene said:
This was by far the most coherent episode in the series! What's happening to this show? Where did things go wrong! ^^'

/jk

Okay, serious mode now. This episode was the least surreal so far. I was a little bored by last episode, which I think most people enjoyed more than the first episode, because it explained what was going on more except they were mostly things I'd already inferred on my own from just the first episode. I guess it's because I watch too much anime for my own good because I didn't find episode one that confusing at all. But this episode actually moved the story along while.

Masayuki has been bothering me for a time so I'm glad we're given some more insight into his character. At best he's a rude busybody, at worst an intelligent bully who knows he get away with the way he treats people because the average well adjusted Japanese is too well behaved and polite to tell him to shove off. Now that I've seen this episode I've come to the conclusion Masayuki is very broken and pitiful person. He's missing something that most normal people have that let them recognize emotional cues in other people. I think he acts the way he does because he can't recognize other people's discomfort so he'll just keep pushing the limits of his bad behavior until that person finally pushes back and does something that clearly indicates to him to stop, like threatening to kill him. I think he's missing this crucial element because the traumatic experience he went through at his old school forced him to bury that piece of himself somewhere so he doesn't have to deal with all the scary emotions caused by the trauma. As we can see, when his phobia is triggered he literally comes apart.

Masayuki is also a compulsive liar. I'm pretty sure his explanation that he transfered here because his dad works in the area is a lie, or at least a white lie. His parents are clearly separated (though it's possible his mom is dead) and it's true his dad works there but I don't think that's why Masayuki also decided to move here as well. I think he was forced to transfer here because of what happened at his old school. He's using his dad's job as an explanation for his transfer. I don't think he intended to come live with his dad until the thing at his old school left him with no choice but to leave. He doesn't seem to like his dad.

But the biggest lie is the lie he tells himself. Masayuki is not afraid of heights. He is afraid of anything that reminds him of the incident at his old school and since it was a death resulting from jumping off of a roof he's terrified of looking down from a high place. He also seems to be afraid of looking up from the ground at high places too which has nothing to do with a fear of heights yet for some reason it causes the same reaction in him.

Don't get me wrong, I think Masayuki's a great character, a very messed up and interesting great character. He's still a prick though.

Sorry if that came out all long and incoherent. It's 4am where I am and I can't fall asleep.

Oh well, at least it was a very well-explained rant for a 4am post. This was a nice episode, it looks like things will pick up now that they are about to enter the hospital. After your post, I'm a lot more interested in Masayuki.
Nov 11, 2007 9:54 AM

Jul 2007
Wow, I knew Masayuki was crazy before, but man, lol.

I loved this episode and I am pulling my hairs out to see whats next.
Nov 11, 2007 11:49 AM

Sep 2007
Twilight_Elk said:
Wow, I knew Masayuki was crazy before, but man, lol.

I loved this episode and I am pulling my hairs out to see whats next.

yeah I was a little anxious when it ended. I screamed "wtf its over" and my brother laughed at me.
Nov 11, 2007 4:56 PM

Jun 2007
I just can't get enough of this series. It's absolutely brilliant so far, and this episode was amazing. I seriously cannot wait for them to go into the hospital!

*sits on edge of seat to wait*
Nov 13, 2007 11:45 PM

Aug 2007
tungwene said:

/jk

I agree with BlueYoshi, it's a very good post, considering it's a 4-am rant. You've just explained, in great detail, the reasons as to why I'm interested with Masayuki.

Re: fear of heights, I think being at high places triggers his recall of the 'traumatic' experience he had, so that every time he looks down from a great height, there's an emotional/mental imprint of what he felt when he 'killed someone'. I'm acrophobic as well, but saying that it's a fear of heights is just a shorthand to my actual fear. Whenever I'm in very high places, I have a bit of a curious urge to jump down and at the same time, deadly scared of falling down. It's weird, but I can climb very high places confidently but getting back down is another matter. =_=

Hmm... I'm glad that we got to know more about Masayuki's and Tarou's 'fears', given that the episode title is Phobia Exposure. We haven't learned much about Makoto yet though, so looking forward to that (btw, he looks hot while guitar-playing <3).

I would never have guessed that he and Tarou are related. It adds an interesting dimension to their story as well.^^ I wonder, were they friends or close before the accident?

And darn, what a great cliffhanger! Can't wait to see what's next.
Nov 14, 2007 11:08 AM

Jan 2007
Oh man...just when I thought things couldn't get creepier... O.o

How old are they supposed to be, by the way? Tarou feels about 9, but the other two seem much older.
Nov 15, 2007 10:53 AM

Sep 2007
I can't wait to see what happens in the hospital, especially Tarou's reaction since it is where he and his sister were held. I do like how Masayuki's screwed up though. It's nice to see a quite flawed character once in awhile.
Nov 15, 2007 4:04 PM

Sep 2007
hounddog said:
Oh man...just when I thought things couldn't get creepier... O.o

How old are they supposed to be, by the way? Tarou feels about 9, but the other two seem much older.

I believe he is supposed to be 14. He was 3 when he was kidnapped and its 11 years later. That's sort of what I remember but I'm not sure.
Nov 15, 2007 5:24 PM

Jun 2007
Masayuki! w00t! xD I wanna know what his real aim is... cause he seems to be up to something o.o;
and i would have never guessed that the other two were relatives.
oh. and i reeeeally wanna know, what is up with that girl ???
magentaanbuNov 15, 2007 5:28 PM

Nov 15, 2007 8:34 PM

Nov 2007
Masayuki had a flashback about a person falling from a rooftop and then he says he killed a person. I wonder.... did he know this person intended to commit suicide and didn't intervene so he feels responsible or did he push somebody off the roof, either accidentally or intentionally? I also wonder why he knows so much about the other two boys and why he's so interested in them.
Nov 21, 2007 11:13 PM

Oct 2007
Now this is what I call a good buildup episode! Whats going to happen in the hospital? Who did masayuki 'kill'? WTF were those things in the next episode preview? why would there be buildings on that side of the dam?? Woo time to go watch the next episode!
Jul 6, 2008 2:47 AM

Jan 2008
Yeah, Masayuki looks like he's up to something.
Can't wait for them to enter the hospital. XD
Nov 2, 2008 2:59 PM

Oct 2008
At the end i was thinking "wtf? are you kidding me?" lol xp couldn't wait to see next episode, writing more there..because these 2 episodes should be treaten as one lol
Apr 19, 2009 4:20 PM

May 2008
Very interesting episode, can't wait to see what they find inside the hospital.
Nov 8, 2009 4:42 PM

Sep 2009
Oh God I'm getting into this :D It's freaking-interesting.

Dec 18, 2009 8:04 PM
Oct 2009
damm crazy kids
May 5, 2010 12:21 PM

Feb 2010
Nice Episode! Very interesting and moving the story forward, loved it :)

btw: I know you cant really compare the two shows, but it somehow reminds me of Higurashi ni Nako Koro ni. All that "new guy transfers to town with mysteries crimes that happened in the past, in the center are a curse and a dam and there seems to be a supernatural element".

But I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of the series ^^
I probably regret this post by now.
May 12, 2010 1:42 PM

Apr 2010
I love the use of sound effects in this show.
Jun 8, 2010 2:42 PM

Oct 2009
I liked this one. Quite spooky.
Jul 4, 2010 8:46 PM

Jul 2009
The one thing that bugs me is that the art style makes this show a lot less creepy than it could be.
Nov 18, 2010 4:12 PM

Oct 2008
Nice episode. Kinda going at a slow pace though.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jan 4, 2011 6:48 PM

Jun 2009
Masayuki killed someone? wow bet it has to be with his fear to highs but of course that is obvious. I want to know how they are all realted because yeah they already told a part but there is one more deep of how or that's what I think. I am dying to know what happens in the next ep.
Jan 14, 2011 2:51 PM

Jan 2010
so annoying kid becomes "killer annoying kid"?
ok...this is one weird ass anime xD
but i'm enjoying it

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Mar 6, 2012 1:45 PM

Nov 2010
I love the use of sound effects in this show.

Agree. I went to grab my headphones just for this since I'm sick in bad with my laptop. I think its a highlight in this anime.
Jul 20, 2012 2:41 AM

Jun 2012
I couldn't be more excited for the next episode. I have my noise-cancelling headphones on and this anime has one of the most eerie feels to it. I can't help but keep watching..
Oct 16, 2012 9:11 AM

Jan 2012
shit's about to get real...

let's hope this doesn't disappoint
Jan 20, 2013 12:12 PM

Nov 2011
Well, this show certainly takes acrophobia to an extreme level.
Aug 18, 2013 4:43 PM

Sep 2012
I need to sleep now, its 3:40 am already.
Jul 14, 2014 8:52 AM

May 2012
Very interesting, I really like where this is going!
Oct 30, 2015 8:26 PM

Sep 2014
So Nakajima has heights because he f*ked up and got somebody killed. That's something. And his agenda has brought the trio together and to the hospital. Phobia exposure was a sure thing here. Nakajima with heights and taro with that Hospital.

But Makoto's phobia is still unknown. Maybe dealing with Taro?

And that girl....

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Sep 9, 2016 4:50 PM

Jan 2014
Good episode.. Masayuki killed someone.. o.o .. Makoto and Taro are relatives.. I love this slow pace tbh makes you crave for more..
Jul 14, 2017 5:52 PM

Nov 2016
I already thought that Nakajima is suffering from Acrophobia after the scene at the bridge from last episode.

Good episode again,really wonder what those three will discover in the hospital.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 8, 2021 4:28 AM

Feb 2014
What a dumb ass reason to drag them there with him. I wonder if he's lying.

I like him being scared when confronted with heights. Deserves no less for his attitude

Poor Mc. I feel for him. Hope he'll be okay
L had a poster of Norman in his room
Mar 24, 2022 12:22 PM

Mar 2019
Seems like Masayuki really has a trauma about his life that includes heights. I was so prepared for a jumpscare at the end, lol. Really interested to see what's inside but from the preview it just seems like they will travel to the other side with their soul.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

May 24, 2023 12:24 PM

Dec 2022
Every character in this anime is either tolerable or likeable. They all have some sort of unique circumstance, but they don't use it to be unreasonable or develop exaggerated behaviour, it's refreshing to see. The sound of flies buzzing in the ear isn't very comfortable though. Flies are more nightmarish than any monster or dream this anime could concoct.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost Hound Episode 20 Discussion

naikou - Apr 14, 2008

40 by susururu »»
Mar 31, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Ghost Hound Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

nihil - Apr 22, 2008

150 by omorashi »»
Dec 29, 2023 9:49 PM

» How many episodes before it's gets good??

RjtheGreat14 - Nov 1, 2023

8 by RjtheGreat14 »»
Dec 28, 2023 6:59 AM

Poll: » Ghost Hound Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

melancholy - Feb 10, 2008

52 by Namiszon »»
Nov 22, 2023 6:41 PM

Poll: » Ghost Hound Episode 19 Discussion

Uuchie - Apr 1, 2008

39 by tingy »»
Sep 28, 2023 10:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.