Forum Settings
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 31, 2013 4:07 PM

Sep 2011
Ok, I just have one thing to say: I am REALLY REALLY liking Hamazura, in fact, I might actually put him on my like list, maybe even Mugino.

Hamazura is the single most relateable character. He feels human, he is not afraid to do dangerous things to protect those that are close to him. But most of all, he feels genuinely human! Where as the author blasted "KAMIJOU IS NOTHIGN BUT A NORMAL HIGH SCHOOL BOI!!!" over hundreds of times, he clearly doesn't show that. And the fact he consider himself to be normal in the EXTREME circumstances he is in should probably show that dragon blast did a little more than erase his memories. Whereas Touma really never expresses much sexual desire, Hamazura pretty much is clear, while not to an annoying extend.

Ok, enough fanboying about Hamazura's happy ending, this novel ties in various different characters and their stories. First and foremost, Fiamma's arc has finally ended. Geez, talk about an end boss. Even though he set up that elaborate of a spell and basically summoned god, I really don't feel much... Maybe it has to do with the author's writing style, maybe the plot structure with all the monstrously powerful characters finishing it off so easily, the more he blows their power out of proportion the less I feel much about it.

The biggest flaw with Fiamma, to me, at least is his lack of back story. It's not clear whether he was some kind of ancient super powerful wizard that lived for however many years, or he was just a boy genius. In fact, the god's right seat kind of slipped my mind, almost. I mean, the casting was already a problem, but none really made any impact on me. Fiamma as the primary antagonist should have been more relateable, or at least induce a feeling of awe. I sort got that from his conversation, but the lack of a origin story greatly reduced his impact on me.

enough with all the flaws, though. The story wonderfully ties in a LARGE LARGE portion of the extremely large cast. Such as Misaka's story's setup. Hamazura and his relevance in the story. A lot of things are still not clear... And maybe because of the LN format, I don't think they will be well-explained in the future either.

This has been a wonderful series overall, I actually felt I was reading something substantial, something I can care about! Unlike when I was reading Boku wa tomodachi ga sukunai... But yeah, pretty good so far, can't wait to see the new testament series!
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Apr 1, 2014 8:20 PM

Nov 2011
Oh wow, the fight between Touma and Fiamma is intense. Did he get his arm severed? I think so. Wow.
But anyways, I think the monster in Mugino is really getting out of control now. It seems she isn’t stopping until Hamazaura is dead. Well from the way I look at it, the higher ups did make her into a monster. I think Hamazura did the right thing there using words rather than his fists. Kinda reminds me the end of Buffy the Vampire Slayer S6.

Accelerator also became a hero imo in this volume for his involvement with the war arc. I think the volume also captured his goodbye to L.O. pretty well. About time this whole shit ended though. Good fight Fiamma. You got hit in the face and had your illusion broken by Touman. The Star of Bethlehem can crash and burn too.

Overrating rating the LN 8/10, much better than I had thought imo. I wasn't a fan of the Civil Wars arc but the WWIII arc made it up for me along with the dark side of the AC being explored to a degree that is far more detailed than the anime.
Jul 7, 2016 6:47 AM

Dec 2012
Gotta love all the MC's after this. I actually cried when Hamazura and Mugino made up. Accelerator's writing was god damn amazing. He's been the most relatable in the past few volumes tbh.

Woulda been great if I read this while it was publishing so I thought Touma really died lmao.
Jun 12, 2017 12:49 AM

Dec 2013
Touma punching Fiamma was glorious. Touma's "death" is surprisingly emotional considering that I knew he wouldn't die.

Mugino calmed down easier than I expected. Hamazura is so awesome :)

Aug 7, 2017 1:49 PM
Aug 2015
DAMN what a way to end the Old Testament. Kamachi you're a genius man. Your story is so great. And man that character development for every character is just....so good. Especially the Accelelrator parts, that made me cry a few times :,)
Even though we all know that Touma survives in the end, that scene with Mikoto reaching out to him and then later finding his Gekota strap were just so, for the lack of a better word, heartwrenching.

ALso I'm relly suprised that Fiamma has survived the war. Getting spared by Touma is one thing, but how in the hell is he alive after facing Aleister?!?!?!
Jan 19, 2019 6:24 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Damm, this volume concluced soo many different plots and paved the ways for so many more...

Mugino, ever since vol15 I welcomed here into the series (despite having seen her before on Railgun anime and manga), her journey was one through the madness and obsession to kill Hamazura, but I honestly cared for her maybe cuz I knew they would be on happy terms on NT, but I still did, and was quite sad what she was doing to herself to kill him.
The culmination of their battle really pulled my heartstrings there, that was beautiful.
Hamazura was really badass in the end, he doesnt give a fuck shit and will get info to that leads Item to a brighter future no matter what!

There are too many PoV on this volume and some really complex and convulated terms and explanations used, so I will just avoid even thinking or talking about that (maybe do a wiki search later), and just focus on what I really liked, aside the beggining of the volume of course.

Accelerator goes through ALOT, not only with his own ability and talent he manages to use magic like that to save LO, but also later on finally reachs the apex of all the development he been through, since rathing himself as a villain, to just dont care about good or evil, and just focusing on protecting those he cared for.
The culmination of everything was when his wings turned to white, that was just a really beautiful, meaningful scene (that I hope the anime doesnt tarnishes!), I dunno how can Kazuma explain this, since Acell seems to be turning into an angel himself!! lol
Seems like things will be different from now on, Acell is not letting those fucking scientists do what they want any longer (same for Hamazura), the dark side can go fuck their selves, this is not a battle they will win!
Misaka Worst is a really nice support character for Acell, I hope him, her and LO can become a really happy family on New Testament... and people stop shipping LO and Acell, the writer said in his notes at the end, that Acellerator looks up to LO as a parent, so stop trying to turn him into a lolicon already!

Touma, has really come a long way, also he was facing Fiamma all alone, despite everyone being contributing in their own ways... it just feels like Touma LVL big this volume though, mean it was clearly not just deflecting or negating that his powers were being used to.
It was a bit absurd that his arm was cut and regenerated itself, but since trying to understand everything that happen on 22 is just a bit headache, I will let that fly, and am interested in how Kazuma will develop this later on.
I teared up when he choose to save Fiamma instead of himself, freed Index, departed from Mikoto, and even saved everyone from the archangel, I mean Acell did alot on this arc, but Touma didnt have rest till it was all over and even sacrificed himself like that...
G_Spark233 said:
Touma punching Fiamma was glorious. Touma's "death" is surprisingly emotional considering that I knew he wouldn't die.

Mugino calmed down easier than I expected. Hamazura is so awesome :)

Same here, the way it was handled, it was very effective, he didnt gave up till the end, and even managed to have the Star landing on the ocean, and shit on that Archangel that wanted to be a naughty kid all over, solely for in the end to drown and we see Mikoto on the shore finding that cellphone strap she had gotten with him from volume 12 (I believe), you cant just stay different after that, what a climatic "death"?! This fit all the requirements IMO, and it will be kinda sad reading from her PoW in volume 1 of NT (also Index asking for Touma T_T).

Aleister finally reveals himself "to the world", he and Fiamma had some really complex shit going on, I m glad he survived, I m glad Touma saved Fiamma, it was neat when Fiamma was facing Aleister in order to protect what Touma viewed in him and believed.
Thank god Ollerus dude from SS2 finds him in the end, and we also get the first mention to Othinus!
THAT and Laura's PoV, so many hints that built up to become quite big on NT, most people wont notice unless they know spoilers, but this was great, and I m once again reminded of how scary and resilient Laura can be, saying more would be spoilers, but with everything even in NT, I still cant hate her, just feel made respect, cuz that is one sick twisted mind.

Onto NT, this was the longest LN series I have read to this point, 24 volumes counting SS2, and I read it at once, starting October 4th, to end today morning, around 3 months and 2 weeks for anyone wondering, if you want to read from start, read everything and plan to read fast, cuz some parts really drag on, but in the end it is all worth it, because this is really the most complex, intricated and expansive setting I have ever since, and this only in a spam from June-July to 30 of October!!
Seems like I have only started whoever, I pretty excited what is in store since from before I started OT, there were some volumes of NT I wanted to read, but I m glad I sticked with giving OT proper treatment, since Index S3 seems to be solely for fanservice at this point, and reach an adaptation to the New Testament ASAP, sadly in the process vol15 and 19 are sacrificed.

Hope to have my Misaka's meter filled up with NT (looking forward for Shoukohou and Othinus entrances too), she didnt appeared near enough on OT IMO, and still doesnt know what is going on.

9.3/10 = 9
Sep 1, 2019 3:38 AM

Nov 2013
Great world-building, characters and I liked most of the individual stories the author came up with which left lots of room for imagination, especially the science ones. I am pretty disappointed with the World War 3 arc though, most of the novel built up this Academy City vs Roman Catholic Church war, but Fiamma's motivations were lacking any sort of depth which really ruined it. Not to mention how much this novel dragged on at times, unfortunately after reading some spoilers for NT leaves me uninterested in continuing this and I'm not sure if the author's writing is good enough for me to be willing to read another 22 volumes with still no ending in sight.

Despite my issues with it, this was an entertaining read for the most part. Wide cast of characters who most of which were interesting, complex world-building and lots of detail good at keeping me thinking and picturing events in my head. Will maybe read NT one day, but not sure as of right now. 7/10
BlareySep 1, 2019 7:41 AM
Sep 16, 2020 7:56 PM

Mar 2019
What a great volume to end off, I actively enjoyed Hamazura and Accelerator story as usual, Touma was decent I guess.

The ending was very interesting especially with the mention of Othinus, I've somewhat heard of that person from the internet but I do wonder who exactly they'll be?

I would give this a 10/10 originally but some of the volumes felt so slow at times so I'll give this a 9/10, I look forward to NT.
PotimasSep 16, 2020 8:03 PM

Apr 2, 2021 8:51 AM

Jan 2017
Boy oh boy did OT went out with a BANG, the culmination of everyone we've known up to this setting aside their differences to defeat a common enemy is just PURE EPICNESS (damn I used the word "epic" unironically)

With every scene the 3 protags are in I'd be sure to get chills, like wow Touma still insists on saving that bastard Fiamma? Hamazura reconciling with Mugino? HECK ACCEL TURNED INTO AN ANGEL?!?

That epilogue definitely made me want to get into NT soon. I can definitely feel like Laura could be the next Fiamma considering her actions these past few vols
May 8, 2021 8:40 AM

Jul 2017
Although I was a bit annoyed with the Mugino-Hamazura duels, the battle here was a decent one to wrap up their 'feud' of sorts and put them on the same page again, as ITEM. Mugino finally, finally got humbled, even if the way this all went about reeked of shounen cliches.

Generally for me, this World War arc while better than the Civil War stuff in Britain, still wasn't that great. Volume 20 was solid but 21 and 22 have been really lackluster and disappointing beyond the Hamazura stuff and bits of the Accelerator stuff too with his characterization. Fiamma's characterization in particular was so bland and so non-existent too, that everything he did in this arc was just... boring to read, especially his confrontations with Touma.

Overall, the Old Testament series was lackluster. There was world building, but I feel like at least so far, the world building hasn't come close to reaching what the potential could be, therefore being underwhelming massively so far, especially when it comes to the politics and conflicts at hand with the 'bigger scale' arcs like the two I just mentioned being poor here. Characters aren't that good either beyond Hamazura and while there are a few good volumes, there are far more mediocre-awful ones. Best volume still is the Sisters Arc (volume 3), worst was either Volume 9 or 11, most disappointing while being shit was 18 with the conclusion of the British Royal Family arc. I'd rate OT a 3.5/10. Had some good stuff and elements and promise to not be a 1 or 2 levels of godawful, but too many issues for me and a really underwhelming finish beyond the Hamazura stuff to justify this series being worth the time.

Given how uncreative some of the volumes have been, I don't know how Kamachi would be able to write New Testament and not just be creatively bankrupt at some point there but I'll see. At least I managed to finish one of the Testaments for now, even if it wasn't that good. Don't believe in the hype.
animejasMay 8, 2021 8:44 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 2 Discussion

-DxP- - Feb 25

1 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 20, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 03 Discussion

Playcool - Oct 22, 2018

5 by -DxP- »»
Apr 13, 8:41 AM

» 20th Anniversary discussion

khoisharky - Apr 9

3 by Laplace_kun »»
Apr 10, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 01 Discussion

Playcool - Oct 10, 2018

6 by -DxP- »»
Jan 7, 4:54 AM

» What is different about new testament?

Igreja - Nov 24, 2022

5 by nyugvo6 »»
Dec 13, 2023 11:09 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.