Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2009 12:09 PM

Apr 2007
I don't know if that boxy style of animation they used worked effectively (I did enjoy it though), but the scene with the Berserker made up for it. That was gorgeously animated.

Great episode though, might be my favourite.
Apr 6, 2010 7:50 PM

Sep 2008
Darn it, I knew Mamiko Noto was going to die but still. *sniffles*
She was such a strong and caring... marionette...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2010 9:12 AM
Dec 2009
I thought this was a very, very good episode. A tear was shed for the fallen. Violin was so badass.

Justifying the "bad" or "lesser" quality by saying "Birdy's memory could very well have been hazy" is quite understandable. It sure makes sense.

Too bad the building still got blown up, though. The monster dudes were destroyed!
Apr 10, 2010 9:02 PM
Aug 2009
I'm just rewatching this series alongside Seirei no Morbito, and felt obligated to post about this ep.. it's just excellent storytelling, despite the animation quality being distracting at best (at least they had the courtesy to put it in a spot where they had a convenient artistic excuse as others have mentioned).

This is easily one of the best-developed "tragic backstories" I've ever seen, especially her name origin and how her mind realistically dealt with her trauma.. all the sadder that she has so many people watching her development and it's taken this much to help heal her. And, that scene when Birdy finally wakes up and has that incredibly moe moment of realization that Tsutomu has taken Violin's place... HNNNGG.

It's so nice to (re)watch something that doesn't force every bit of character development down my throat with broken dialogue or extraneous melodrama. I think I'm enjoying it just as much as the first time I watched it.
Sep 15, 2010 5:42 AM

Jun 2007
Ugh, that animation ruined any emotional impact the story should have had. What the hell was that?

"if the show is good i couldn't care less if hitler directed it and the production values was a banana." - Salsk
Sep 22, 2010 9:58 AM

Jun 2009
Oh my god. I can't bear watching the crappy animation they give us on the second half. Good episode but seriously wth is with that animation?!

Jun 6, 2011 7:24 PM
Jul 2018
Holy shit
Aug 3, 2011 12:43 PM

Aug 2008
GodsDragon said:
I enjoyed the episode but what was up with the artwork? About halfway threw the episode it looks like they got tired and just started scribbling and forgot to edit before airing it.

I thought it was supposed to represent the raw emotion of the situation. I thought it worked perfectly showing the chaos of the situation in Birdy's mind and the battle. -__-
Sep 8, 2011 12:45 PM

Jun 2010
I think someone once called Birdy a dog, and this seems to prove that it's true. She's been trained to love people who are only carrying out orders to care her for as a weapon for the government's use. The fact that the T-Rex alien genuinely likes her doesn't mean anything. She's being treated as a machine. How can I have any respect for her as a space cop if she never decided to be one and only let others train her into it? Has she ever made any important decision in her whole life? Why should I care about a person like this?

I suppose this was supposed to be heartwarming, but it made me feel sick instead.
FronzelSep 8, 2011 6:46 PM
Feb 9, 2012 5:15 PM

Jul 2009
The plot of the episode was pretty good, but the artwork... oh my god. I don't know where some of you saw "style" in this pile of rubbish. An awful drop of quality, I hope I won't have to see it again.
Jul 8, 2013 6:35 PM

May 2012
Violin sure had some powers on her own! And for a reason the young Birdy seems more skilled than the current... well this backstory episode sure was tragic, but well this makes the character only better in my opinion! Good episode I wonder what's next!
Sep 27, 2013 12:47 PM

Jan 2013
I knew people would bitch about the artwork.
Obviously they didn't have a huge budget.
The effort was admirable though, so much movement and changing camera angles.

Great episode
Jan 6, 2014 9:02 PM

Apr 2012
I choose to go with "she was in the midst of a mental break and the artwork reflected that" explanation. It's her memory after all. It's not a hugely popular show so obviously budget limitations play a part somewhere though... The action was STILL really visceral though, so props to them for pulling that off.

Great ep, this is what I remembered most from the first time around.
Aug 8, 2014 9:54 AM

Nov 2013
It was the quality of the art that dropped, not the animation.

Anyway, I thought the use of minimal detail was quite fitting because the fighting in this series is very fast-paced. An outsider watching Birdy and Violin fight is not going to have a crystal-clear view of everyone involved. Rather, they'll see the combatant's basic shapes and, most importantly, their movements. And that's exactly what the animators are focusing on: motion. I applaud them for doing that because, well, combat isn't supposed to be pretty anyway.

Also, I suspect the only reason Birdy wears a skin-tight suit is so the animators can easily draw her basic form during action sequences.
Apr 6, 2016 3:24 PM

Feb 2015
I don't understand everyone's complaint about the animation. Sure, it's choppy, but haven't all of the fighting scenes been like that? I didn't really feel like this episode was any different than the rest. The reason it may have looked "low quality" is because A: they were trying to make it look like the camera was moving through 3D space while animating the fights and B: the main characters didn't have any shading on them in that red light for some reason. The animation wasn't particularly bad, they were just very ambitious in their choreography. This show is generally well animated and I'm glad that they experiment with dynamic fight scenes even if the result isn't smooth as butter.
Apr 6, 2016 7:00 PM

Apr 2007
Yokora said:
I don't understand everyone's complaint about the animation. Sure, it's choppy, but haven't all of the fighting scenes been like that? I didn't really feel like this episode was any different than the rest. The reason it may have looked "low quality" is because A: they were trying to make it look like the camera was moving through 3D space while animating the fights and B: the main characters didn't have any shading on them in that red light for some reason. The animation wasn't particularly bad, they were just very ambitious in their choreography. This show is generally well animated and I'm glad that they experiment with dynamic fight scenes even if the result isn't smooth as butter.

Did you watch the broadcast version or what was released on DVD? Because they at least cleaned it up some when it came to the home video release.

Compare this short bit from the broadcast sample to the DVD release. Neither of them are the pinnacle of animation but one of them is markedly worse.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Apr 7, 2016 12:12 AM

Feb 2015

Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if this was the case. I saw the dvd version. Granted, I don't think the broadcast version was THAT bad, but I totally understand the issue now.
Apr 7, 2016 12:14 AM

Feb 2015
Tien said:
It was the quality of the art that dropped, not the animation.

Anyway, I thought the use of minimal detail was quite fitting because the fighting in this series is very fast-paced. An outsider watching Birdy and Violin fight is not going to have a crystal-clear view of everyone involved. Rather, they'll see the combatant's basic shapes and, most importantly, their movements. And that's exactly what the animators are focusing on: motion. I applaud them for doing that because, well, combat isn't supposed to be pretty anyway.

Also, I suspect the only reason Birdy wears a skin-tight suit is so the animators can easily draw her basic form during action sequences.

YES! The art, not the animation. I think the animation is pretty cool.
Oct 8, 2016 1:07 AM

Jul 2008
They tried to go Gurren Lagann with the animation this episode, did not work so well.
Nov 11, 2017 6:10 PM

Jan 2013
Amazing episode, more scenes of Birdy's past, that robot really didnt stand a chance against Birdy.
They should really hurry up with Tsutomu's new body though, don't want another one of these conciousness losses to happen again.
Jul 26, 2020 4:22 AM

Jul 2015
I wonder what happened to the artstyle when the battle started, looked pretty bad in my opinion even though I liked the animation of the fight. Good to know who Violin was and what happened to her, must be devastating for the young Birdy to witness that. Just a guess but I think the person who saved her is nejula for some reason.

Nov 13, 2020 6:11 PM

Mar 2014
So yeah, the broadcast version was super choppy.
I saw the DVD version and it looked pretty amazing tbh, they cleaned it up really nicely and the fight scenes with Violin and Birdy were raw and powerful.
Great backstory overall.
Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Sep 15, 2023 6:44 PM
作画

Nov 2019
one of the strongest episodes I've ever seen in my life, too bad people can't grasp the beauty of this piece of art

More topics from this board

» Am I the only one who thinks this is an underrated anime?

asdcvvbbd1 - Dec 7, 2013

6 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Feb 16, 6:08 AM

Poll: » Tetsuwan Birdy Decode:02 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

id - Mar 27, 2009

99 by Erdgeist »»
Feb 8, 1:36 AM

» Faithfulness to the Manga

chrissnells - Feb 21, 2021

3 by nwssx »»
Sep 15, 2023 6:41 PM

Poll: » Tetsuwan Birdy Decode:02 Episode 11 Discussion

jacobpaige - Apr 27, 2009

8 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 26, 2020 5:32 AM

Poll: » Tetsuwan Birdy Decode:02 Episode 10 Discussion

Faust721 - Apr 9, 2009

28 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 26, 2020 5:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.