Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movie -Rebellion-
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jun 23, 2014 2:39 PM

Aug 2009
SolviteSekai said:
The Truth:

People like Grimdark Satan Allegory Homura more than Normal sense making Homura.

Thats why the movie is so successful.

Because its not Urobuchi without mind rape, crazy face and suicide.
YEs everyone likes Rebellion for those reasons.

Not to mention that Homura was always the same, excluding her powers.
Jun 23, 2014 2:40 PM

Jan 2013
ssjokg said:
SolviteSekai said:
The Truth:

People like Grimdark Satan Allegory Homura more than Normal sense making Homura.

Thats why the movie is so successful.

Because its not Urobuchi without mind rape, crazy face and suicide.

No but thats why people like new homura. I wont bother arguing with you. You are like english speaking dateyukata.
Jun 23, 2014 2:50 PM

Aug 2009
SolviteSekai said:
ssjokg said:

No but thats why people like new homura. I wont bother arguing with you. You are like english speaking dateyukata.

Yeah if you hated Homura you would like th movie...ok.Both are the same thing since she is on screen 90% of the time.

The only thing you are capable of is ad hominem.It's better for everyone if you dont bother.
Jul 26, 2014 12:04 AM
Sep 2007
Ahahaha...

Talking about Madoka and Homura as if they're actually characters...

They're not.

Madoka - girl with mindset to become Jesus, also 100% goody - goody with 0 typical negative human qualities, especially for a girl her age.

Homura - even bigger garbage.
For some reason becomes obsessed with Madoka just because she called her Homura-chan, and was nice to her.
People say she ruined series in third movie, but honestly she ruined series for me since she appeared.
She was kinda promising in the beginning of third movie, but her fate as shitty something later was sealed.

The only good aspects of her are interesting abilities, and character design which makes for really good fanarts.

Sayaka, Kyoko, Mami, and Kyuubey are real characters, and amazing as well.
Actually, even Nagisa in her short sceentime was more acceptable as character than Madoka and Homura.
They have their good and bad sides, but you can still like them very much.

EDIT: Still, about Madoka, I must admit I did kinda liked when she basically showed Homura middle finger at the end of third movie.
KleferiJul 26, 2014 12:16 AM
Sep 28, 2014 3:01 AM
Sep 2014
I can't see Homura as the villain after watching Rebellion. She offers the solution she considers best: prevent Incubator from controlling Madoka, reshuffle the entire universe so that magical girls can have another chance at life. She calls herself demon, but her action is not such a bad thing.
Sep 28, 2014 7:29 AM
Nov 2012
While I like her just as much as I liked her in the anime series, I actually think her character got better with this movie. Much like Madoka at the end of the series, if she had any uncertainty about anything, she clearly left it behind by the end of this movie.

The decision she makes at the end can't be really seen as evil, since they are actually justifiable. Although the motivations for her actions may be questionable, she actually provides the girls a better world than Madoka ever did and let all of them have a second chance at their human lifes while still keeping the Law of Cycles working in some unknown way (although it's seemingly trying to reunite itself with Madoka). I think she calling herself "evil" is more symbolic than literal, she does perturbate the order established by Madokami, but are the results of that really bad?
Shadow_StrikerSep 28, 2014 6:00 PM
Nov 24, 2014 5:42 AM
Sep 2007
One dimensional "character" that consists of obsession.
Nov 25, 2014 9:26 AM

Oct 2007
Psajdako-chan said:
Ahahaha...

Talking about Madoka and Homura as if they're actually characters...

They're not.

Madoka - girl with mindset to become Jesus, also 100% goody - goody with 0 typical negative human qualities, especially for a girl her age.

Homura - even bigger garbage.
For some reason becomes obsessed with Madoka just because she called her Homura-chan, and was nice to her.
People say she ruined series in third movie, but honestly she ruined series for me since she appeared.
She was kinda promising in the beginning of third movie, but her fate as shitty something later was sealed.

The only good aspects of her are interesting abilities, and character design which makes for really good fanarts.

Sayaka, Kyoko, Mami, and Kyuubey are real characters, and amazing as well.
Actually, even Nagisa in her short sceentime was more acceptable as character than Madoka and Homura.
They have their good and bad sides, but you can still like them very much.

EDIT: Still, about Madoka, I must admit I did kinda liked when she basically showed Homura middle finger at the end of third movie.

I find it pretty common in Urobuchi written stories that the supporting cast is usually far more interesting and plausible than the major cast members the latter of which instead of feeling like living breathing and developing human characters that can be described as something resembling natural instead come off as artificial vessels to be representatives of ideologies that are then pitted against each other with some ironic outcome that typically favors the one deemed as being less naive or altruistically inclined. Madoka and Homura are kind of the same way, it's just they took longer getting to that point....like entire entire TV series plus two thirds of a movie.

And yeah to me Homura's whole character back story was never that well written in the first place. A lot of it is just implied since we basically see a character that goes from one extreme to another in terms of how she worships this one other character with only the vaguest of explanations as to how that even comes to pass since we never particularly see her struggle so much as are told about it. This is kind of how you make a popular and beloved character now it seems, but it's pretty ineffective on me. Nice character design, just kind of not a character that inspires any sort of particular feeling or attachment in me or that feels particularly plausible. I will say this though, to me Homura is a character that best seems to represent Urobuchi's fucked up world view and how he sees the laws and natural state of the universe and while many fans seem to have casually embraced it as accurate and fair I personally think it's kind of bullshit and laughable and a sign of the kind of person Miyazaki was talking about when he says too many industry people don't spend enough time around actual people and observing how they interact in a real world environment. Gen Urobuchi's writing style to me is nowhere near as applicable to the real world either philosophically or social commentary wise as it is to the enclosed and embittered otaku one IMO.

And yeah I reserve the right to have this impression. The priests can come in and yell holler and scream and call me a hater as much as they want or whatever but it's kind of up to the work itself to convince me of something, not a gang of people getting angry and trying to force an opinion out of me.

InTheOtherWorld said:

Not everyone analyses Madoka Magica with a deep and analytical mind. Some people just want to enjoy it. What they saw was a cool girl who would do anything to protect her friend. They liked that. What they then got was a dark and psychotic character who wasn't like this cool girl in the slightest. They didn't like that. That's all there is to it. It doesn't matter if this dark character is the reality of the cool girl or not. It's as simple as that. Would you like it if you were promised an action-thriller movie at the cinema, only to find out it was a rom-com? Not many people would, even if it were the true side of the movie. The same goes for this, because ultimately Madoka Magica is just a TV show.

Wow imagine that. Lot of sense being talked in this paragraph. And yeah not everyone should have to answer to the judgement of some gang of people styling themselves priests just to be able to have an opinion or reaction to something without being utterly belittled for failing to understand something.

And yes ultimately at the end of the day it really is just a TV show, just some people get so fanatical about certain things that they fail to remember that. I think it's entirely possible to be critical or praise something without having to try to force every single person to have to conform to or answer to you if they don't exactly parrot your reaction otherwise why even have a thread where the topic is popped in the first place.
PeacingOutNov 25, 2014 9:40 AM
Nov 25, 2014 12:42 PM

Sep 2013
I'm quite surprised at how mixed the responses are.
Nov 25, 2014 6:12 PM

Aug 2009
1)Miyazaki's chars arent realistic in any way and 2)Wow, two priests are Madoka fans and defend the series, just like any other fan, and suddenly it is an issue with them again.But let's not talk at all about the obvious bait that didn't even explain themselves.Lets bash only the fans.

I am amazed that you always manage to move the discussion in that direction.
Nov 26, 2014 12:01 AM
Sep 2007
Once again...

SHE IS STUPID LITTLE WHORE WHO IS OBSESSED WITH MADOKA ONLY BECAUSE MADOKA WAS KINDA MORE NICE TO HER, WHILE OTHERS WERE (LOGICALLY) LIKE SAYAKA WERE SKEPTIC ABOUT WHAT SHE TOLD THEM ABOUT THE FUCKING FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!!

SHE ONLY EXPLAINED HERSELF WITH MUMBLING AND WEIRD VOICES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHE FUCKING LITERALLY AMAZINGLY, UNBELIEVABLY, BIGGER THAN LIFE - BIGGER THAN UNIVERSE ONLY EXPLAINED HERSELF WITH MUMBLING AND WEIRD VOICES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD BELIEVE THIS KIND OF EXPLANATION, OR RATHER EVEN UNDERSTAND IT?

SHE CAN TRAVEL THROUGH TIME, SHE COULD MAKE HERSELF QUITE MORE BELIEVABLE BY, FOR INSTANCE, SAYING SOMETHING TO GIRLS WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THEM IN NEAR FUTURE - LIKE A FEW MINUTES AHEAD, OR HOURS, OR WHATEVER.

FOR SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THE FUTURE, SHE COULD HAVE TRIED HARDER.

DID SHE DO THAT?
NO!!!

WHY?

BECAUSE UROBUCHI KNEW THAT FANBASE IS BUNCH OF MORONS WHO ONLY CARE ABOUT "COOL" ATTITUDE, PAIN, TIME POWERS LIKE HERS, ETC., AND NOT THE ACTUAL CHARACTER.

BECAUSE HOMURA WOULD BECAME LAME IF SHE WASN'T COOL LONE WOLF GIRL ANYMORE, AND FIGHTING IN A TEAM.

EVERYTHING ABOUT HER IS TO MAKE HER SEEM COOL AMONG THE FANBOYS, BUT LIKE I SAID, IN THE END SHE IS JUST 1D "CHARACTER" MADE OF OBSESSION.

THERE IS NO DEEPER MEANING IN IT, OTHER THAN THAT SHE IS MADE TO BE OBSESSED WITH MADOKA AND NOT WITH OTHER GIRLS, BECAUSE MADOKA IS MAIN MAIN CHARACTER, AND THUS HOMURA NEEDED SOME REASON TO BE MORE RELEVANT TO HER AND THE STORY.

IN ANY DECENT UNIVERSE, HOMURA WOULD THEN BE OBSESSED WITH EVERY OTHER GIRL.

I'm tired of capslocking, but maybe that will help you read easier...

Is that enough of explanation to you, or will you call ad hominem / call bait/ call trolling everything again?

And don't even bring Mami going crazy, and Madoka saving Homura from her.
She was most likely saved by Mami many more times.

If she wasn't stupid whore she could have gone back in time and help Mami, like, I don't know, maybe TALK TO HER?

If you want a well developed and non-forced-to-be-cool character go for Sayaka.

Miyazaki's characters maybe aren't realistic, but they were never inconsistent from what they are.

I'd like to know what you find so good about Homura.
Nov 26, 2014 2:18 AM

Aug 2009
1)If you want people to read your posts then write them properly

2)From what I read this is just a copy paste of your old "opinion"+more swearing +CAps Lock.
So yeah I dont care to read again and reply again to something several users and me, who you refers to as morons and dismiss their A LOT BETTER interpretation, replied to.
Nov 26, 2014 2:48 AM
Sep 2007
I know you read it, even if it is capslocked (as a sign of being annoyed of repeating myself), so please don't lie, and don't bother with such trivial stuff.

Look, just explain why do you think Homura isn't what I said she is - forget about other people's better or worse interpretations, or my swearing, or capslocking, or me calling someone moron (to tell the truth, I don't really think that, because i don't even know those people).

Simply, with your own words, tell me what are all the good things you yourself see in her, don't quote what someone else, just do that.

It doesn't need to be a long explanation, and I won't even argue with you, you don't even need to quote parts from the story (I watched both series and movies), actually, I won't even say you're right or wrong, I'm just curious why do you consider Homura good and likeable character, because I don't remember you posting anything concretely about it.
Nov 26, 2014 3:12 AM

Aug 2009
I love how you think you know all about me and other fans.

No I wont.If you forget everything said for the nth time so you can go again and repost your Homura swearing posts IN EVERY SINGLE MADOKA thread that is about favs and love/hate then no I wont bother.There is no point,no real meaning in doing that.
Unfortunately I remember all of you posts.

Take it as your victory,as your opinion being a fact, I dont care really.But the way you ignore everyone and keep posting the same thing over and over again is irritatingly hilarious.
Nov 26, 2014 3:32 AM
Sep 2007
FakePriest said:
Take it as your victory,as your opinion being a fact, I dont care really.But the way you ignore everyone and keep posting the same thing over and over again is irritatingly hilarious.
I just asked you to tell me what you yourself like about Homura, just a few sentences would suffice, but you can't even do that...

So, I'll just take it as you agreeing with me that there is nothing to Homura aside from nice design, cool powers, and obsessiveness.

Anyway, hopefully this thread turns into how Sayaka doesn't need hax god mode powers to be one awesome crazy bitch developed nice amazing girl, plus her lesbian girlfriend Kyoko is awesome as well.

Btw, I just saw something horrible...

How dare this Homura be in the presence of awesomeness itself Sayaka!? :((((((
KleferiNov 26, 2014 3:39 AM
Nov 26, 2014 3:56 AM

Aug 2009
Yeah yeah I agree with you...Probably everyone else that isnt bothering with you as well..
Nov 26, 2014 5:20 AM

Feb 2014
lolPsajdak
Nov 26, 2014 5:20 AM

Aug 2009
Nov 26, 2014 10:20 AM

Nov 2013
This thread took an entertaining turn.
Jan 7, 2015 10:46 AM

Dec 2014
Homura has become worst. I don't want to defend her and I won't because what she did was selfish but I like that her character has become tainted and imperfect. She is still my favorite character.
Jan 8, 2015 6:45 PM

Oct 2012
Worse, why are people even thinking she has improved?? Her mental state has gone to complete shit. She pretty much turned into a witch.
Still love her regardless though.
Jan 12, 2015 12:10 AM
May 2013
Can't believe no one made this poll yet...
So, does Homura's rebellion totally out of character from how she was at the tva? Why or why not?
LET THE WAR COMMENCE.
Jan 13, 2015 12:46 PM

Jan 2013
Homura's number one goal has always been saving Madoka. Rebellion just pushes that philosophy to it's logical conclusion when Homura's put through a terrible situation.
Jan 13, 2015 12:50 PM

Dec 2012
I could have sworn there was already a thread like this.

Yes (your vote)

She was awful.
Jan 13, 2015 12:54 PM

Dec 2010
I don't see what's out of character for her. She's still protecting Madoka, as always. (Albeit in a twisted manner.)
Jan 13, 2015 12:56 PM

Jul 2011
Nope, she it's like in the tv series.
Jan 14, 2015 3:38 AM

Mar 2012
tsudecimo said:
Yes

Any OCCness on Homura part can easily explained. Homura in rebellion is not the same as she was at the end of the series. Because we know that Homura from the very start of the film is one of 3 things.
1. Shes already a witch, the film afterall from the very start takes place inisde her Labyrinth and no magical girl has been shown being able to create one (so technically she is homulilly)
2. She is a Magical Girl with a fully tainted soul gem
3. Shes some kind of MG witch hybrid

It doesn't matter which one you think she is it doesn't really matter as all of them would have a huge impact on her character. Just look how Sayaka acts in the series with a tainted soul gem in episode 7 I think(and not even a fully tainted on either). The soul gem is literally shows the state of their soul, so it only makes sense that Homura with a fully tainted soul or Homulilly would take her obsession with protecting Madoka to the logical extreme.
Jan 14, 2015 6:08 AM

Aug 2009
People who think that she is OOC didnt pay attention in the tv series and ignored the movie because their waifu or just fav character became "evil".
Jan 17, 2015 8:08 AM
Jun 2013
wx said:
Homura has become worst. I don't want to defend her and I won't because what she did was selfish but I like that her character has become tainted and imperfect. She is still my favorite character.

The character was always an awful selfish person. I mean did you not see the tv series. I mean her main goal has always been Madoka. She will do anything for her no matter what the cost. If it gets in the way of her madoka she will go through it. Shes never come off as kind or selfless. Just selfish. I dont get how anyone could like her in the first place. Unless you like the villain then I get it. I just want something terrible to happen to her already.
souledge94Jan 17, 2015 8:21 AM
Jan 17, 2015 8:17 AM
Sep 2007
She was always out of character.

She isn't even plot device.
Jan 17, 2015 9:01 AM

Feb 2014
No, she just became more twisted due to her SG's blackening.
Jan 19, 2015 5:33 AM
Oct 2013
FierceAlchemist said:
Homura's number one goal has always been saving Madoka. Rebellion just pushes that philosophy to it's logical conclusion when Homura's put through a terrible situation.
Feb 5, 2015 5:46 AM

Sep 2013
she's gone insane :3
but i will always love homura.. <3 <3 <3
Feb 5, 2015 5:49 AM

Feb 2013
I think she's the same with a little more dispair tho, she still wanted to protect Madoka and she did.

Jun 9, 2015 4:58 PM

Sep 2014
since we will probably never see a sequel, its hard for me to make a decision.
Since I liked her character before pretty much there is no way she could go even further up or down.
I really like these timeloop storys with characters who do everything they can to save someone (and fail at it multiple times.) because thats such a unique experience to make.

(Still, time travel back, get some support from other girls from other citys and defeat walpurgisnacht. No super magical girl, no super witch. No god. Just what she wanted. But hey. she is a teenage girl with PTSD afterall. I can see over it)
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 9, 2015 5:55 PM

Sep 2011
Interesting to note that Urobochi treats the TV Series and Movies as separate canons IIRC. While some may think otherwise, barring Rebellion, there's enough notable differences between the two to say that they're different canons. I guess for better or for worse, it's just up to the person as to which one is simply better executed as a story/character progression.
Jun 10, 2015 2:55 AM

Sep 2014
One point that makes this franchise even more like NGE.
in a World where characters can creats new universes if they wish so its probably the best to imagine everything as canon and happening in an alternate timeline as well.. i really hope this wasnt the end for this franchise. There are just endless options to make more awesome stuff.

btt I think its a little weird that homuras sg gets so tainted at all. In the world madoka created they are no witches so there should be no way for her sg to get into that state. I really hoped that we could see morr of this madoka world then just the end part of movie 2. I just cant think that madoka would abondom homura for this long. And that only miki and bebe became part of the godly power and she would really leave kyokou (i hope i get her name right) behind. But hey. I dont really mind at all. Homura became the opposite of madoka wich is necessary to balance the universe and only she could do this I think. Even if the universe dies madoka and homura will still be together (fighting). Yuri is strong.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 24, 2019 2:47 AM
Dec 2018
Faust91x said:
Felt like a cheap excuse to negate Madoka's wish and hypocricy when she said that she wouldn't tolerate anyone that mocked Madoka's sacrifice.

Actually, Homura doesn't tolerate herself. We see her witch form' familiars in Rebellion - Clara Dolls. They are calle Pride, Pessimism, Liar, Coldheartedness, Selfishness, Slander, Blockhead, Jealousy, Laziness, Vanity, Cowardice, Stupid-Looking, Inferiority, and Stubbornness, while the last one, Love, is Homura herself. The familiars of a witch represent their owner's souls, which means that is exactly what Homura thinks of herself.

The Clara Dolls also sang this song to Homulilly's corpse:

"Yuck!
It's shameful Miss Good-for-Nothing.
Shun her and step on her.
Forget about her and spin around.
Sprinkle her ashes in a field and scatter petals.
Redye your clothes and mourn.
From now, from this, it's a funeral procession!
We envy it with these eyes.
We gnaw at the future with these teeth."

And one of the Clara Dolls, no other than Stupidity, also said:

"I heard this story from the Goddess. She's a beautiful and radiant goddess. I'm sure she'll love us too."

She herself is the one that she hates the most, over Mami, over Sayaka, over even Kyubey. Her self loathing problem is way bigger than Madoka's.
Ashley_ZhangApr 24, 2019 2:53 AM
May 25, 2019 2:51 PM
Jan 2018
There is absolutely zero reason whatsoever for Homura to be ok with what Madoka did at the end of the TV series. Madoka fucked Homura over, period. Homura literally dedicated her entire existence to fighting for Madoka's sake, putting her well being over everyone. In episode 12 after Madoka makes her wish and becomes God. She knows full well about what Homura has been through and what her goal was. So what does she do? First she sentences herself to a fate worse than death, then she makes it so that Homura can't go back in time and attempt to stop her, and if that wasn't bad enough she makes it so that Homura is literally the only person who remembers Madoka.(and no, Tatsuya doesn't count) Whether or not what Homura did was right is subjective, what is objective though is whether Homura acted out of Character.

No, she didn't.

Also this video does an excellent job of giving a more in depth explanation of my point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mTqEJ-wto8
ZibsidianMay 25, 2019 9:19 PM
Jun 25, 2019 10:44 PM
Mar 2018
straggy said:
Zetsuei380 said:

Most likely even if she defeated Walpurgisnacht, if Madoka died/turned to a magical girl she would of went back in time despite saving the world. Saving the world is more of a secondary objective to her. If lots of people died but Madoka lived she wouldn't do anything to change that.

A secondary objective is still an objective. She was still saving other people and the world, when she could've focused EVERYTHING on Madoka.
She couldn't, she doesn't care at all but if she did madoka wouldn't be happy without her family, her best friend exc. She did all this for madoka, all this world was re-builded to make her happy
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Hangyaku no Monogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dimasmw - Oct 27, 2013

1042 by Biisoo »»
Apr 17, 7:10 AM

» Madoka Magica Rebellion is a masterpiece ( 1 2 )

JezzaC - Jan 28, 2021

65 by HigherLvLThinker »»
Aug 16, 2023 7:00 AM

» State your opinion: Did Homura REALLY do nothing wrong?

StanSayakaMiki77 - Apr 17, 2023

19 by APolygons2 »»
Jul 18, 2023 5:23 PM

» Explaining the final twist

APolygons2 - Oct 19, 2022

45 by ScionOfCyan »»
Jan 30, 2023 7:28 PM

» Plot Holes? What exactly happened between.... (movie spoilers)

Rob7 - Sep 24, 2022

18 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 19, 2022 6:45 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.