Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Dec 24, 2013 12:42 AM

Dec 2011
AnimeGURU475 said:
Funny how once you grow up and start living in a big city you realize how much you miss the country

I take it you aren't like Hikage then.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Dec 24, 2013 12:45 AM

Jan 2013
before this show started i thought it was going to be boring and rubbish

how very wrong i was
Please check my music out on SoundCloud! There's something for everyone.

Dec 24, 2013 2:07 AM

May 2010
Sodium bicarbonate, hahahaha, where did she got that from? I feel bad for Hotaru..

"Nyanpassu~" It all started with that greeting, didn't it? Sigh... Whoa, Renge-chan sure is rich. That staring face, the director of this show is really wise when it comes to things like that.

"Nobody does that in this century" hahaha

"What happened between you and me in these last few seconds", this girl is not only adorable but also clever for her age "They look even cuter now" xD It was nice to see the origin of her name. That fairy look was so damn adorable, good job Natsume! Funky, hahaha. "It's funky!" hahahaha. Now I can study for my exam which is the day after tomorrow, I needed this so damn much..

If you gave it a 6/7- score to this anime after watching the full thing then I am sorry to say, but you've got no taste in anime.

Nooooo Non non biyori, you were supposed to be my relaxing anime, now I am worried coz it ended... One of my MOST MOST fav anime forever for sure. Say with me, WE WANT A 2ND SEASON!!! I will always remember this masterpiece..

121221432546/10
Dec 24, 2013 2:46 AM

Dec 2011
Sodium bicarbonate (or bicarbonate of soda) is a very common cooking ingredient. There was probably some in the kitchen.

And yes, season 2 please?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Dec 24, 2013 2:53 AM

Aug 2013
TragicRomance said:
Now I can study for my exam which is the day after tomorrow, I needed this so damn much..

Hope you get good results and not have to hide it under the futon... XD! Armageddon and lightning bolts are sure to follow lmao.

Interesting. I was just looking at the staff page and the same script writer, Yoshida Reiko, worked on Aria and Tamayura. Now I know why this is so awesome. God bless that woman.

Have a Funky Christmas everyone!~
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 24, 2013 3:02 AM

Oct 2011
ernst said:
8 or 9? Damn I'll go for 8 for now, I might change it later.

Easy, 8+1 for Ren-chon!
Dec 24, 2013 3:08 AM

Dec 2013
grymdylan said:
before this show started i thought it was going to be boring and rubbish

how very wrong i was

You diserve a neko-punch.
Dec 24, 2013 4:21 AM
Jul 2013
It was a nice finish and announced an OVA, than good. It will be a second season?

* RIP Non Non Biyori*
Dec 24, 2013 4:52 AM

Jan 2013
ernst said:
8 or 9? Damn I'll go for 8 for now, I might change it later.
This and Kill la Kill OST, Where Are You Now? I enjoyed the soundtrack of this show more though.
just it make it a 10! :3 :D

also,season 2 please!
Dec 24, 2013 4:57 AM

Dec 2011
Apology said:
It was a nice finish and announced an OVA, than good. It will be a second season?

The OVA is an OVA. In other words, a disc that comes with a special edition version of one of the manga volumes (note: not all OVAs are like this, but this one will be). MAL has it listed as a single episode, and it is (obviously) not the same thing as a second season. Hopefully there will be one of those as well.

xchee said:
the same script writer, Yoshida Reiko, worked on Aria and Tamayura

Interesting... Guess I'll push Tamayura even further up my list of things to watch. Aria completely failed to attract my interest though so who knows...
Dec 24, 2013 6:10 AM

May 2013
I watched Tamayura but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. The MC is too "moe moe" clumsy and the side characters barely saved it. The OST was really nice and the backgrounds were gorgeous, though.

Non Non sold pretty well as far as I know, so I'm confident we'll get a 2nd season.
Dec 24, 2013 7:06 AM

Aug 2013
Cute and relaxing anime !! , It shall get 7/10 Can't wait OVA :3!

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Dec 24, 2013 7:14 AM

May 2013
It strike me as odd that no second season was announced at the end of this one. Since July is far away I went and checked the most recent volumes of the manga and I realized this series has the same problem as Kin'iro Mosaic, seems there is not enough material for another 12 episodes ATM. It is also clear to me that they did not expect it to guarantee a second season (the reason is kind of spoilerish so I leave it unsaid). So my bet is that we will have to wait a year or two for a second season, which is not that bad since it will give the anime creative time to keep it fresh (and not do a rush job with filler and rehashed ideas).
Dec 24, 2013 7:21 AM

Jul 2010
Loved it. Best slice of life anime this season. 9/10.
Hyuga Junpei: “Yeah… I’m confident… Because my teammates will help me out! I can shoot confidently.. because it will be okay even if I miss!”

Kagami Taiga: “I don’t know about being the bad guy or whatever. It’s only in stories where titles like that decide the loser. This is our show. We’re the ones who are writing the script.”
Dec 24, 2013 7:28 AM

Apr 2010
Shame to see this is over it was a nice anime to watch after all really loved it and would want to see more.
The setting was nice and the characters where pretty realistic not to mention for to watch i also liked all the details of the countryside.
And how it's different from the city.

One of the few episodes with males other then the brother and they where talking for as well.
Dec 24, 2013 9:35 AM

Apr 2012
Great series. I am going to miss Ren-chon a lot. I hope there will be a season 2.

8/10.
Dec 24, 2013 11:00 AM

Apr 2011
Lol. Hotarun trying all Komachan's food. And just she thought it was over, dessert arrives.

I'm gonna miss this anime. It's cute, adorable, relaxing, and funny. Watching every episode makes me smile and giggle. This and Kiniro Mosaic were one of the best SoL I've watch this year.

It feels like 12 episodes just passed by so quickly.

This deserves a score of 8/10.
Dec 24, 2013 11:51 AM

Jan 2013
not that bad, but a little boring
Dec 24, 2013 12:20 PM

May 2009
lol, Funky :D
I'm gonna miss this show... I guess i always feel a bit sad when an anime season is ending.
Dec 24, 2013 12:32 PM
Feb 2012
I can't believe it's already over...

This show made me both laugh and cry on so many occasions, and I will dearly miss it. There's a LOT of time until the OVA comes out and even then, it'll just be one episode. Here's to a second season due to the inevitable success of the show's BD/DVD sales.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Dec 24, 2013 12:32 PM

Jan 2011
Very charming slice of life. Not much more to say then that. These shows depend heavily on the characters and they were enjoyable to watch each week. Relaxing art and music.
8/10

x3mslayer said:
lol, Funky :D
I'm gonna miss this show... I guess i always feel a bit sad when an anime season is ending.

Sad and excitement. Bummed the good shows are finishing but excited to replace trash shows with next seasons offerings.
Dec 24, 2013 1:05 PM

Feb 2012
Loved this show. So peaceful, cute, and had its share of laughs.

9/10 overall. Sad to see it end but at least there's an OVA in July!
Dec 24, 2013 1:56 PM

Dec 2011
Episode rewatch comments.

Starts with a nice reflection back to the first episode, with the same music played as was playing at the start, behind lots of birdsong. And Hotaru talking about how it's been a year since she moved to the village.
And the shot of the corridor, with the hole still boarded up where Suguru fell down it. No buckets now, though.

And the image turns to show Hotaru with the rabbits. More allusions to earlier episodes.

As the opening starts playing my heart is pulled with the love I've built up for this brilliant series. This is probably the last time I'll hear it until the first volume arrives. Sad thought, that. But I can't dwell on this stuff forever. There's another season round the corner, and of course I have yet to finish most of this season's stuff. But NNB rewatching takes priority over things like that.

Anyway, like the first episode, this one has quite a lot of scenery images.

Picnic by the river, under a blooming tree.

Komari's all fidgety about the bento. And her eyes tear up slightly as she apologises.
Slow zoom in on Hotaru's face, and then sudden resolution as she braces herself for what she has to do.
Komari is completely perturbed by the suggestion, though.

Does Hotaru genuinely think that's squid ink pasta, rather than charred stuff?

That sweatdrop when Hotaru picks up the entire thing. So much for only having a tiny bit.

And Hotaru makes another suggestion about what the food is. Doing that only makes the cook feel worse. It's so bad you can't even tell what it is.
Hotaru is looking at Komari, though, and not the food. Maybe she doesn't want to look at it. Or maybe she just wants to look at her senpai.

Crunch.

That's not a sound yakisoba is supposed to make.

Freeze.

Komari's worried. Has she just poisoned Hotaru? She's not chewing. Not moving at all in fact.

Hotaru tries to dig herself out of a whole by... err... praising it.
Unfortunately it turns out that she was digging straight downwards. And possibly hitting her foot with the shovel a few times in the process.

Komari doesn't believe what she's seeing. Rightfully.

Crunch
Crunch
Cronch

Burnt food "just made it more savory". Her voice fades away with the obvious lie, but Komari brightens up. And starts force feeding her.
Hotaru gets worried.

Chocolate sauce?
And Hotaru starts repeating to herself. The meat is so bad that she can't bear to taste anything but the chocolate. I think it's that way round? She looks genuinely ill though.

More lies. More hitting yourself in the foot in your desperation to dig your hole ever deeper.

Kyun!

"Of course not! Chocolate doesn't go with rice balls!" Oh? I would think it would go with them better than with burnt meat.

Normal onigiri, but of course Hotaru gets the trap straight away. Lightning bolt flashes through her head.

"Tea... Have some Tea! Oh! That's noodle broth!" Komari is hopeless.

Hotaru is actually choking. And crying. What does Komari do? Grab more food.

And what does Hotaru do? Beg to eat more. Oh dear.

It's over, and Hotaru looks on the verge of collapsing. Or rather, she thought it was over.

Hotaru's eyes turn to actual spirals. But then Komari starts to spoon feed her and they start sparkling like crazy.

New scene.

More birdsong, music and scenery pictures. Hotaru and her parents walk along the road.

Is it just me or has Hotaru's hair grown?

Kaede on her bike thing.

Road repair is as a result of the snowmelt.

Natsumi carrying Renge. Komari sat on a rock. And Suguru relaxing against the tree.

"Hotarun, nyanpasu!"
We've heard that before. This time, Hotaru replies herself rather than just responding blankly.

Natsumi and Suguru get ahead of the other three fairly fast.

No trespassing. But it's okay, because the mountain belongs to Ren-chon. Or her family anyway.
I love that conversation.

"Sagasun!"

Komari invites Hotaru to "come over here" because of the fiddleheads. Hotaru shuffles closer, all the time staring at Komari. I think we need some scepticism about Hotaru's motives.

Renge's mugwort. Lots and lots of mugwort. And she's in search of more. She walks into a Suguru, though, still chewing his sorrel. And they stare at each other.

"Hotarun, this really is the country, isn't it?" More references back to the first episode.

Hotaru has fallen in love with the place.

"Then it's okay if there are people chewing on grass too, right?"

Freeze.

Hotaru says its fine, but she doesn't sound quite so sure this time.

Running across a field of flowers.

"It's beautiful!" So it is, Hotaru. So it is.

Natsumi's thoughts are on food, not beauty, however.

"Why did you use my real name all of a sudden? What happened between you and me in these last few moments?"

It is the first time Natsumi actually called her by her real name, though.

"They look even cuter, knowing they have the same name as me. I like these flowers now." (paraphrased because I think that both fits better and is more accurate than what CR put)

The power of shared names. But Renge doesn't want to eat renge.
However, Renge wearing a crown of renge works.

And leaves stuck behind the straps of her clothes to give her fancy fairy rings. Or funky ones. Take your pick.

That look that Renge gives Kaede. All excited.

And the cry of celebration.

Walking home at the end of the day, and Renge is still wearing her fairy outfit. And she keeps inviting the others to play fairy with her.

Were those instructions supposed to be for how to act like a fairy, Renge? Natsumi takes it to heart, though.

And an offer for Sakura viewing. Again referencing back to the first episode with their desserts. And Komari scares Hotaru with an offer of another bento.

Jump to the cherry tree, in the same way as it did back at the start, as the voices gradually fade behind the music.

And then the Sakura tree, currently devoid of leaves, on top of the hill, with the surrounding mountain vista. And even the background music draws to a close...

...to be replaced by the ending song on a closeup of the first signs of the budding blossom.

And then, finally, with birds singing in the background, a picture of the school, and then the sky, which slowly fades into whiteness.

And that's it.

The perfect ending to the perfect anime.

I know I kind of wrote a lot here, probably because I knew that the series would end for me for now as soon as I finished writing, and I didn't want that to happen. But there really was a surprisingly large amount that happened in this episode, despite how slow paced it seemed to be, with lots of pauses perfectly utilised. In fact, that's one area in which this anime has really excelled - the perfect use and timing of stillness, or silence for effect, be it that of comedy, of emotions, or simply of relaxation.

So yeah, that's it.

I wonder when I will next come upon an anime I love so much as this. I look forward to it happening again. Although I'm not sure my wallet holds the same view.
Dec 24, 2013 5:41 PM

Jan 2011
i dont want it to end ... T___T please s2 spring or summer! show of the year for me. ^^ i will miss everything of this show ...
Dec 24, 2013 7:00 PM

Oct 2012
Hotaru can eat anything that Komari cook with the power of love
Master_YomaDec 24, 2013 7:23 PM
Dec 24, 2013 8:33 PM

May 2010
xchee said:
TragicRomance said:
Now I can study for my exam which is the day after tomorrow, I needed this so damn much..

Hope you get good results and not have to hide it under the futon... XD! Armageddon and lightning bolts are sure to follow lmao.

Haha, thank you for the good luck. So far, everything is going good, just that I am missing non non biyori xD Hope we get as 2nd season as soon as possible.

Does anyone have a link on how well this anime sold so far? I am really interested in this anime's sales (which is something I rarely do). I know it sold well but how well?
Dec 24, 2013 8:54 PM

Apr 2012
I will miss my mondays with Non Non Biyori :(
Dec 24, 2013 9:23 PM

Aug 2013
TragicRomance said:

Does anyone have a link on how well this anime sold so far? I am really interested in this anime's sales (which is something I rarely do). I know it sold well but how well?

Well someone posted this in the new thread. Looks really good.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 24, 2013 10:25 PM

Apr 2013
Koma needs lesson from Cooking Mama.
And the season is over. Good thing the final episode is enjoyable. The previous episode bored the * out of me.
Dec 24, 2013 11:13 PM

Nov 2013
It's the first SoL I didn't drop. I've been completly charmed... and now I feel bad it ended. It was hard to decide wether or not it gets 9 or 10... went for 9 right now, "nostalgia" will probably give the last point when the OVA comes out
Dec 25, 2013 1:00 AM

May 2012
I wasn't ready for that ending. I wasn't ready to say goodbye to this anime. Hope they revisit for a season 2 later!
Dec 25, 2013 1:57 AM

Jun 2010
Great series. One of the anime i've been looking forward to every week.

Love the art and OSTs. Really need this kind of heartwarming series every season to complete your week.

7/10
Dec 25, 2013 2:15 AM

Apr 2012
That (unannounced) staring contest went on for ages~. I'm sort of upset that we didn't get to hear the song Renge played on the flute more often. It was really calming.

Stark700 said:

What, Renge having a staring contest? Shame the main dude in this show never spoke ..*sigh*.

If he had of spoken, it would have ruined the running joke.
Dec 25, 2013 3:06 AM

Jun 2011
I want a second season now! Great series and im missing it already. Love the interaction between Hotaru and Komari LOL she had to suffer so much eating that bento.

9/10
Dec 25, 2013 5:45 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

I want to go live in the country! XD
Anime where I had put a lot of confidence, well rewarded for what I saw.
A slice of life that won me over from the PV, I'm sorry it's over. The characters starting with Renge were all nice and well characterized, scenarios and OST delicious! :)
I'll miss, I want a second season! T_T
Final rating 7/10 to 8/10!
Dec 25, 2013 1:01 PM

Aug 2010
The first half focused on Hotaru and Komari, I approve! The music, the background, the atmosphere, everything was perfect. Hell, even Natsumi had a nice moment. 5/5.

Well, this was depressingly heartwarming. A wonderful show, definitely the surprise of the previous season. 8/10, a fine example of how entertaining a SoL anime can be.
Dec 25, 2013 1:16 PM
Mar 2013
this anime brought so many good memories from my childhood, playing by the riverside, looking for edible plants (strawberry in my case), fedding the animals, playing with styrofoam planes.
I enjoyed every moment of it,i givet it 10/10 and hope it gets S2.
Dec 25, 2013 1:56 PM

Aug 2013
The things you do for love. Right, Hotaru?

Someone needs to put together an animated .gif of It's Funky!!
Dec 25, 2013 2:08 PM

Feb 2012
I want an OVA where they all go to Tokyo. Would love to see Renge reacting to the surroundings!
Dec 25, 2013 2:47 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I have never seen an anime with an atmosphere like Non Non Biyori before. It was neither exciting or even particularly entertaining, yet somehow it manages with nothing but relaxation and peaceful daily life. Very cute.
Dec 25, 2013 3:55 PM

Oct 2011
TragicRomance said:
If you gave it a 6/7- score to this anime after watching the full thing then I am sorry to say, but you've got no taste in anime.
Wait? You serious?

Not that I claim to have some higly sophisticated taste in cartoons but 7 is quite appropriate score for this. Same mark as A-Channel, Hidamari Sketch S1 or Ikoku Meiro no Croisée - all good series, with weaker moments. Just lacking that special feel or trait to rate it on level of Aria, Kamichu! or Azumanga Daioh.
Ofc everything is subiective and I would like to have second season of it but this is how I feel, at least for now :)
Dec 25, 2013 5:53 PM

Oct 2012
I definitely want/expect to see Season 2. Also, I love the concept of an OVA/movie
where they all go to Tokyo and get totally freaked out.

I am curious about whether Non Non Biyori is going to be the start of some trend
of anime series. If you love the concept of a beautiful city girl moving out to the
countryside and being shocked by the lifestyle outside of the city, you may want to
have a look at No-Rin which starts in January:

No-Rin / Nourin / のうりん
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYtwYijnZxk
http://myanimelist.net/manga/48721/Nourin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-Rin
http://www.no-rin.tv/
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%81%AE%E3%81%86%E3%82%8A%E3%82%93
https://twitter.com/norin_anime

The best animated work about a Tokyo girl being attracted to the idyllic life in
the countryside may well be Omoide Poroporo by Studio Ghibli:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Only_Yesterday_%281991_film%29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRLJjmvQxso
okanaganDec 25, 2013 5:58 PM
Dec 25, 2013 11:52 PM

Dec 2006
I love slice of life and every chapter of this anime was pure healing for me x3
so cute, beautiful country scenery and good OST. Renge, Komari, Hotaru and the side characters were a strong point too! I loved it 8/10!.
I'm gonna read the manga and wait for the OVA!
Dec 26, 2013 1:38 AM

Aug 2008
Hotaru best girl. Renge is cute too, but Hotaru is just better.

Pretty relaxing to watch, and cute in general too.
Dec 26, 2013 3:03 AM

Mar 2013
Everything 8/10 for me the art is fantastic the moeness,the fun,the relaxing feeling oh yeah i hope this gets a season 2 soon seriously this is such a fun anime to watch :)
Dec 26, 2013 4:36 AM

Oct 2009
Such a lovely series, so cute and beautiful! Love all the characters, the scenery, setting and OST.
One of the best SoL's out there.
I NEED season 2!!

10/10
Dec 26, 2013 5:31 AM

Nov 2010
How much more materials left in the manga?
i checked a few chapters in some sites and didn't wanted to spoil anything, so didn't read more.
can anyone tell me if there's a lot more or not?

btw, manga looks beautiful after seeing the anime. i will read the first chapters to enjoy some of the great scenes that we saw. =)
Dec 26, 2013 5:40 AM

Dec 2011
I'm not entirely sure as I don't own the manga and can't find the full series uploaded, but from what I can gather I think the anime covered about 2/3 of the manga's content to date.
Dec 26, 2013 8:16 AM

Jan 2011
I'm doubting between 6/10 and 7/10 but I'll give it 6/10 for now.
My guidelines say: "A nice watch, watching it is worth it but nothing that special."
Which fits the bill I guess.

Hopefully this gets a second season.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Dec 26, 2013 8:57 AM

Jun 2013
Most people forget the true purpose of this genre it seems: Whenever I watched it, I felt nice and pulled into this realm of pure relaxation.

The most important factor to take in consideration here is the enjoyment - close to perfect in this series.

Solid 9/10, will buy the BD, hoping for a 2nd season and other content in the future.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2013

234 by bassyey »»
Mar 2, 7:01 PM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2013

192 by Shikkakku »»
Jan 12, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2013

261 by edudddu »»
Jan 11, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2013

157 by Shikkakku »»
Jan 11, 2:30 AM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2013

119 by skatensleep »»
Dec 19, 2023 12:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.