Forum Settings
Forums
Genshiken
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2013 7:46 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh God Sue is just brilliant in this OVA. Madarame you lucky bastard.

Really liked the mood of this OVA with the holiday like atmosphere as well. Glad to see Genshiken again. Lol @ the Engrish though. Oh God that ending is gold. Sue ftw.
Dec 22, 2013 1:30 AM

Nov 2007
So this is before Sue transfers to the university. "Bonno wa Tomedonaku (ボンノーはとめどなく)", huh?! So this OVA is the reason Ogiue and Sue are closer.

Letting Sue staying with Chika. Wow, her Japanese is good enough already. lol~

Hatsumoude? Saki can speak English well. Sue riding on Madarame! People getting drunk! Then going to the first sunrise of the year.

ED: "Signpost" by Ogiue

Sue took Ogiue's underwear along to back to US...
tsubasaloverDec 22, 2013 1:59 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 22, 2013 7:57 AM
Oct 2012
Stark, Thank you, had no idea that they were even planning on doing one.

Great to see more of the manga animated, now if they would only fill the ending of the last series so we can how Ogiue and Sasahara stared dating and we will pretty much have the whole series up to where it has gone on hiatus.
Dec 25, 2013 8:17 PM

Sep 2008
Sue<3
damm she is even riding madarame in the pic for the ova XD

genshiken>genshiken nidaime after all, so this ova is too good, good ol' times <3

Takuan_Soho said:
now if they would only fill the ending of the last series so we can how Ogiue and Sasahara stared dating and we will pretty much have the whole series up to where it has gone on hiatus.

yeah, i was thinking that th whole time, they maked this!! they animate the onsen trip as well!! i really want to see that animated!!!
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Dec 27, 2013 2:06 AM

Jan 2013
Yeah, in the manga (and where they ended at in Genshiken 2 anime) they were supposed to go on the outing that Kuchiki wanted and they go to the cabin in the woods where Ogiue finally reveals her past & her & Sasahara technically hook up (which is one of my fav parts of the entire series) so I was VERY disappointed that none of this was shown in this OVA. Hopefully, there will be another OVA (which will technically prequel this one.)

Dec 27, 2013 10:07 AM

Sep 2012
Loved it! So timely, will have to watch this again in a few days for New Years!

Everyone has already mentioned all the great moments in this OVA, Sue taking Ogiue's striped panties back at the end... riding Madarame, this really was a Sue centric episode much of the time, all the Engrish...

We need more OVAs and seasons! Too bad the sales of Genshiken Nidaime tanked :( I bought the OVA but didn't buy the series so it's my fault too... hopefully Kodansha really wants the manga to sell, not the discs and see the anime as more of an ad.
Dec 27, 2013 5:38 PM

May 2013
Sue is soo funny. Good to see the old gang in this OVA. I miss this anime. Loved that ending as well.
Dec 27, 2013 6:32 PM

Jun 2013
So is this supposed to take place before Genshiken Nidaime or vice versa ?

Anyways , Sue is so cute throughout the episode. No Hato-kun though(?)
Madarame is all alone , I feel you bro.
RiezDec 27, 2013 6:35 PM
"Children of Japan. And those who were once children. Listen! This is not a dream. This is not fiction. In reality, your superheroes were always fighting. To teach viewers courage and the meaning of justice! No matter how many enemies there are. No matter how strong evil is. Just remember. Does any another country have so many heroes? Has any another country been protected by multiple superheroes? Stand with me, friends! Remember when you used to watch your superheroes!
Once you may have given up this dream. But today, you can be a hero!"

- Kaname Jouji , Red Axe

Dec 27, 2013 8:18 PM

Feb 2012
Madarame and Saki still have their moments, but i see a whole new route developing since last season Sue x Madarame , Poor dude is always alone
Dec 27, 2013 10:24 PM

May 2012
^.. yeah.. but still I am a very big supporter of Madarame and Saki although the very fact remains that they will never be together. Hehe, somehow I am a fan of unrequited love stories..
Dec 27, 2013 10:53 PM

Feb 2012
Gotta love the old gang!!

I enjoy Sue's presence though! She's my favorite female character in this show! Then for the male, I can't get enough of Manabu's antics. lol.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Dec 28, 2013 2:55 AM

Nov 2010
I'm surprised that the ova focused on the events post oguie and sasahara, they were immensely enjoyable, they probably wouldn't be able to do justise with that material and compress it in 20 minutes anyway. I am a little disappointed that they didn't include madarame's thoughts about him carrying sue on shoulders like how warm it was and how he felt lucky that Saki wasn't there to see him carrying Sue. But apart from that small quibble it was very faithful with the source material. Then they included a ending with a similar animation that nidame did and it made me wish they'd do a genshiken reboot of the original series. The entire 9 volumes in maybe you 3 cours about 39 episodes but it probably wouldn't be as relevant since most of the focus and parodies were about the otaku from the late 90s early 2000s. Still a man can dream.
Dec 28, 2013 2:56 AM
Jul 2018
Wait this OVA actually more like ep. 00 of Nidaime. I was hoping for more like the prequel though. :D
I really miss this anime. Kinda perfect with the new year theme.
Love the Sue moment. Here's hoping for season 4 next year. :)
Dec 28, 2013 4:55 AM

Aug 2012
Nekoyasha osuwari !!!!

Jeez, Sue! Aren't you just lovable.
Dec 28, 2013 5:05 AM

Oct 2012
Sue's method for learning Japanese is perfect. She starts by learning complete
Japanese sentences by rote. So of course her grammar is perfect and her
pronunciation will be very good. This is a far better approach then learning words
one at a time and doing a poor job of joining them into sentences. Right now,
Sue only knows that "shimapan" is one kind of intimate female garment. She
can easily learn about more.

Here we call this an OVA. But in Japan they call it an "OAD" which can stand for
either "Original Anime Disk", "Original Animation Disk" or "Original Anime DVD".
An OAD refers to this specific situation where anime on a disk is bundled with a
volume of a manga. So if you want to find information about this, you should
Google "げんしけん二代目 OAD" rather than Googling "げんしけん二代目 OVA".

As an illustration, here is an example of a very recent news item that I found by
Googling "げんしけん二代目 OAD":
http://natalie.mu/comic/news/93319
In that story, "OAD" stands for "Original Animation DVD", and indeed it seems
that it is a DVD and not a Blu-ray. So I guess the region could be a problem.

But if they include an extra anime on the Blu-ray or DVD for an anime series,
such as Genshiken Season 1 Volume 1, then that is still called an "OVA". It is
not a disk by itself. It is something added to a disk that already exists.

In whatever format, let's hope for a lot more of Genshiken.
Dec 28, 2013 8:37 AM

Sep 2012
^^^ The DVD is Region 2 Japan. Luckily my laptop is always running full Japanese Windows 7-64 for work and the DVD player is in Region 2 so I play all my anime DVDs on it. I had already read up to chapter 92 by buying Afternoon magazine so aside from the extra chapter start/end pages I just got Genshiken 15(6) for the OAD! Worth it in my opinion even though I'm sure 99.999% of the people on MAL just torrent this stuff...

Of course Bluray is better for me as most are Region Free and ones for Japan are the same region as North America. Many of these OADs are on Bluray recently like Mondaiji-tachi's OAD, Dakara Boku Wa H Ga Dekinai, et al. Nozoki Ana's came as DVD with the 13th manga volume but was then separately released as a Bluray, not sure what you call that but I got the Bluray for extra content and so I could watch it properly on my home theatre instead of with crummy 480p DVD quality... Most Kodansha OADs like this one are still DVD sadly... Chihayafuru, TnK, Sukitte, NnKx, all DVD... sigh.
hpulleyDec 28, 2013 8:41 AM
Dec 28, 2013 4:00 PM

Jun 2007
Very glad they animated this part of the manga, even if it isn't with the original vocal cast. I laughed just as hard watching it as I did when I read it way back when.
Dec 29, 2013 10:51 AM

Jan 2013
Solid OVA, Great character interactions as always with this series.
7.5/10
Jan 1, 2014 9:59 PM
Jul 2012
This was a nice episode, I missed seeing the original cast together and it gave us a bit more backstory leading up to the start of Nidaime.
My anime blog
Ganebare Anime
Jan 2, 2014 4:17 AM

Nov 2011
I did enjoy this ova alot though it took me a bit to catch on it was a backstory leading up to Nidaime.
I can only hope for more Genshiken in the future :D
Jan 12, 2014 12:43 PM

Nov 2010
The first part with Sue was awesome
The new years temple visit was fun, the party team split up had a good time and got drunk while the others just sit and bore themselves at the tea house

That Saki x Madarame moment was priceless

I wished they would have started with this, before the 3rd season came out
Hopefully returning soon
Jan 22, 2014 3:03 AM
Jan 2014
What quote was that of the solar plexus?
Feb 8, 2014 3:20 AM
Dec 2008
I know a lot of you really want to see the Ogiue and Sasahara hookup chapters (I do too), but for me, this is my favourite part of the original series.

Ogiue alone with Sue and talking to her in Japanese about how she wants to protect her from the shame of being an otaku, but then realising that Sue should just come to Japan anyway, because it'll be fun for both of them... That moment Sue hugs Ogiue in return just melts my heart. It says something special about their friendship.

Of course, the next moment when Sue is pulling out Ogiue's Sasahara yaoi manga from its hiding place is side-splittingly funny.

9/10 for this episode. It would only have been perfect with the original voice actors. We just need that hot-springs cabin episode now.
Mar 6, 2014 10:49 AM

Jul 2009
I liked it. It still doesn't catch up to the quality of the first two seasons, but that's impossible as they changed almost every voice actor. Hope they'll continue this, though!
Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle!
Jun 4, 2014 5:08 PM

May 2012
Great new year episode but damn Sue sure is damn lovely! Quite missed this show, and well I would always be up for more!
Aug 8, 2014 7:30 AM

Aug 2010
Sue stealing her Shimo pantsu was so lol XD
Sep 27, 2014 1:53 AM

Feb 2013
Sue still being awesome.

This was a nice side story. Madarame still crushing over Saki was cute I guess. Alright OVA.
Dec 10, 2016 10:55 AM

Feb 2013
Sue is too kawaii!
She left with Ogiue's pants.
Madarame was so lucky, first he carries Sue on his back and after he catches Saki.
Aug 2, 2017 7:51 AM

Oct 2012
Nice azumanga daioh reference xD
Also Lupin's
And Inuyasha's

The girls are scary when they're drunk

And Laputa's xD

I guess Sue's mantra is really effective xD

RIP Pantsu
"Signature removed"
Mar 23, 2020 6:04 PM

Jun 2008
DBailey635 said:
I know a lot of you really want to see the Ogiue and Sasahara hookup chapters.

I haven't read the manga but yeah, it's heavily hinted that they are a couple already. It makes me wonder if I should have watched this after Nidaime maybe? Feels like a huge spoilter tbh.

May 16, 2022 4:36 PM

Sep 2018
What? Is Oguie and Sasahara already an item here? Weird. Hope Genshiken Nidaime explores it further...

Or should this be seen after the TV show? Yet it says prequel lol...
Sep 14, 2022 11:38 PM

Jan 2020
It seems a little bit of a shame that they skipped over the big SasaharaxOgiue moment. But, as per the recommendation of the previous thread, I skimmed through chapters 43-49 to get the gist of what all happens before this point.

But, It's kind of nice to see Ogiue with her edges softened a bit. She's finally embracing her true Otaku nature!

Also, I'm glad we're back to being a little more colorful again. I really did miss Saki's orange hair.

Overall, it wasn't bad, but there didn't seem to be much to it. I guess it's a good introduction for our next season? I guess it was all kind of worth it for that final joke at the very end, lmao.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 2, 2023 11:47 AM
Dec 2021
great ova anime!!
Aug 14, 2023 9:40 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Lmao, that lucky panty! Good to see Sue-chan back and her memory is quite something, lol. She did say one proper complete sentence though, I wonder if that was just a fluke. 

Sasahara and Oguie-san's relationship seems to have progressed but I would loved to see the developments, here's to hoping the tv show will cover that bit. 

Need some love for Madarame! As much as I love these one-off unrequited tales, it's almost always characters that don't deserve such fates that end up getting this painful role. 

New voices for some of the characters, Kuchiki and Saki-san feel fairly similar but the difference is more apparent with the other characters. 
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.