Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 23, 2013 1:41 PM

Aug 2009
DAMN... MIND = BLOWN! Wasnt expecting that...... //cries

very nice!~.. I hate sad stories so much but w/e.. i'll just accept these tears T /// T

THAT VERY LAST SECOND THOUGH... THE FEELS Q __Q

It must be so sad to lose a loved one...
Dec 23, 2013 2:42 PM

May 2011
I did feel for Hal, and I liked how things went about. I felt there were some points I would have wanted to see more about, like the surprisingly dark points of their world despite the overall calm feel of the setting. I wouldn't have minded seeing more about the friend as well since it was odd to me that things were alright with him by the conclusion. But otherwise, I'm pleased, I thought the bg was beautifully done.
Dec 23, 2013 3:01 PM

Sep 2008
After this movie I want Ao Haru Ride have anime and Production I.G make animation for it! *.*

As for HAL... I LOVE IT!
OMG! That plot twist!
That ending!
I can't deal with this!
and that

at the end...
My heart wasn't ready for such ending!
So many feelings... ;(
Dec 23, 2013 5:45 PM
Sep 2013
I didn't read the manga and personally the film confused me a little bit. The story seemed really short to me - im not sure if that was what the writer was after or not but one minute i was 15 minutes in, the next it was already nearly an hour. But considering I watched it without even reading up on the film, I enjoyed it, it didn't make me sad though D:.
Dec 23, 2013 6:11 PM
Mar 2012
Really loved how they adapted this movie. Execution and animations were superb
Dec 23, 2013 6:58 PM
Jul 2018
Great movie! I kinda wish it was longer but oh well.
Dec 23, 2013 7:10 PM
Aug 2011
That's one perfect voice cast and those are some pretty pretty visuals and animation.

But that twist.
Though it didn't take me by 100% surprise because I was questioning the situation when "robot" Haru's friend was all "Hey, Haru I haven't seen you for a while".
That kind of greeting/comment makes you wonder how the guy didn't know his childhood friend had died on a plane.
standDec 23, 2013 7:21 PM
Dec 24, 2013 1:32 AM

Aug 2013
I get it.. but I also don't get it ... it made no sense to me.... What did I just watch????
I honestly don't have a single clue on how to rate this, I have neither positive nor negative feelings towards this because I don't even know what I was watching for the past hour.
All the anime endings I saw today made no sense to me, first beyond the boundary and then this.
Gosh, my head aches just trying to figure things out.

Not scored/10, Beyond Masterpiece, it's at a rank of its own, none other than this anime have left me this clueless and speechless. Gonna wake up tomorrow morning with a huge headache thanks to this.
Dec 24, 2013 5:55 AM
Jun 2009
Watching this alone at home in Christmas night.....God! The feel! I shouldnt do that, the sadness is killing me!
soluuloiDec 24, 2013 6:07 AM
Dec 24, 2013 6:49 AM

Feb 2012
I was caught off guard with that twist! Didn't see it coming!! After the twist, it sorta made sense why she didnt eat what Hal prepared... but then a mistake was for the part when they were eating ice cream. lol. Before the plot twist, I was like, ohhh, robots (Hal) could eat. Then the plot twist... oops i think they should've cut that ice cream scene. lol

Aside from that, good movie, good movie! Didn't cry but I wasn't expecting the twist as well.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Dec 24, 2013 7:35 AM

Aug 2013
I loved the movie but I hoped for more minus -1 and the animation was great only the art is a little not good , the sudden twist plot thinking that he was the one dead was Good .
7/10

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Dec 24, 2013 10:00 AM

Jan 2009
A great movie, I really liked the plot twist and of course, the great character designs by Sakisaka Io ♥
I hope some day one of her creation will see the light of anime, and not only her designs.
Dec 24, 2013 10:51 AM
Dec 2012
almost cry ! But i hold it in ! damn i thought this was a normal romance robot anime, but wow this is so GOOD make me feel like ghost in the shell SAC once again , kurumi remind me off Kusanagi Motoko , that art , that feel , i almost think that his friend i super evil but plot twist ,they all know ,it got me good!
Dec 24, 2013 11:18 AM

Jan 2013
8/10
Very good movie.
Dec 24, 2013 12:11 PM

Jul 2012
Forgetful00 said:
All the anime endings I saw today made no sense to me, first beyond the boundary and then this.

What did you not understand? I mean, after the twist, it was pretty self explanatory to me.
Dec 24, 2013 3:10 PM

Aug 2011
I was somewhat relived after the twist because just before it I thought this movie was dumb. Still the twist didn't change the fact I got little bit bored and I felt nothing.
Dec 24, 2013 5:00 PM

Aug 2013
mayukachan said:
Forgetful00 said:

What did you not understand? I mean, after the twist, it was pretty self explanatory to me.

I know, I understood everything after the plot twist, but it doesn't make any sense to me.
They did a poor job setting a up, the first 5-7mins and the last 15mins don't make any sense at all.
Dec 24, 2013 6:55 PM

Apr 2012
i predicted the whole thing... .___.
it was a decent movie though, nicely conveyed emotions and pretty animation.
Dec 24, 2013 7:59 PM

Jun 2012
Holy shit that twist!! That was amazing, the animation and music were superb. That ending! God damn that was good. I wish it was longer. Really pulled on my heartstrings there.

Wit Studio is one to look out for, they are going to be big.
9/10
Dec 24, 2013 8:55 PM
Jun 2012
woow just finished watching. that twist tho lol pretty good movie overall
Dec 24, 2013 9:23 PM

Jul 2010
I was a lot more emotionally invested in the movie than I was in the manga, which is surprising since I was aware of the twist before watching the movie. It was also a nice treat seeing Sakisaka Io's designs animated, I really hope her works receive anime adaptations someday.
Dec 25, 2013 3:45 AM

May 2008
MIND FUCK! hahaha liked it!
Dec 25, 2013 9:07 AM

Feb 2013
I really love the animation and the colors they used. The story is unexpected with twists and turns. It's just sad to know what's the story behind it. Overall, it's amazing!! :3 And I think it's the first animation for Ayase Umi, correct if I'm wrong, kudos to her. Sakisaka Io's works look similar to hers, though.
Dec 25, 2013 12:15 PM

Nov 2007
I didn't even saw the plottwist coming at all,
But it was a rlly nice moving, I barely watching anime movies but I have not regretted a minute of watching this one, even thought the end is a bit... god why x3
Dec 25, 2013 2:01 PM

Jul 2012
Forgetful00 said:
mayukachan said:
Forgetful00 said:

I know, I understood everything after the plot twist, but it doesn't make any sense to me.
They did a poor job setting a up, the first 5-7mins and the last 15mins don't make any sense at all.

Dec 25, 2013 2:48 PM

Jul 2012
Man, what the HELL?
I got my dreams and hopes crushed right here.

EXCELLENT movie, what the hell people, how can you not like this more?
Damn

daaaaaamn
it was really sad :(
Dec 25, 2013 3:37 PM

Dec 2012
Fucking Brilliant. I just loved it, the plot twist was great and I didn't see it coming at all. In retrospective it had some nice subtle foreshadowing. I really wasn't expecting much but it blew my expectations. This movie deserves more love.

I loved the clam atmosphere of it and the setting was also nice.I can't believe how emotionally invested I was, even though it's a short movie. The animation and character design were great so was the ending song. I hope the movie did well in Japan.

Easy 9/10
tsudecimoDec 25, 2013 3:42 PM
Dec 25, 2013 4:32 PM

Jul 2012
tsudecimo said:
Fucking Brilliant. I just loved it, the plot twist was great and I didn't see it coming at all. In retrospective it had some nice subtle foreshadowing. I really wasn't expecting much but it blew my expectations. This movie deserves more love.

I loved the clam atmosphere of it and the setting was also nice.I can't believe how emotionally invested I was, even though it's a short movie. The animation and character design were great so was the ending song. I hope the movie did well in Japan.

Easy 9/10

haha there you go brother, well said
Dec 25, 2013 4:39 PM

Mar 2011
Honestly I was pretty bored and then BAM, that really well done plot twist. The animation was lovely! 8/10

I also wrote a review that has my complete thoughts. Please give it a look!
TheArchangelDec 25, 2013 6:39 PM
Dec 25, 2013 5:09 PM

Mar 2012
klasmiit-gamay said:
I really love the animation and the colors they used. The story is unexpected with twists and turns. It's just sad to know what's the story behind it. Overall, it's amazing!! :3 And I think it's the first animation for Ayase Umi, correct if I'm wrong, kudos to her. Sakisaka Io's works look similar to hers, though.
Sakisaka Io did the character designs. Ayase Umi just did the manga. The conception of the movie came before the manga, if I'm not mistaken.
Dec 25, 2013 6:06 PM
Dec 2011
It was a decent watch for an hour. I gave it a 8/10 due to the animation being superb. Otherwise it would have been a 7/10 to me. I enjoyed it I just didn't connect to it on an emotional level. I didn't care about the well being of the characters.

It seems as though I am one of the few that didn't like the plot twist. It just felt I dunno cheap or gimmicky probably isn't that word for it. I guess forced maybe is the best I can come up with. It just felt as if the creator decided it needed a big plot twist when he was like halfway done with it. So it just felt forced or not natural to me.

On a side note is it just me or do anime movies seem to be getting shorter. It seems as though I have watched a few of these hour long movies. And I can't say that I am a fan of that.
Dec 27, 2013 3:51 AM

Mar 2013
I expected no less from the studio who brought us SNK 10/10. that's what I call a PLOT TWIST!
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Dec 27, 2013 6:59 AM

Jul 2010
That movie was very emotional.I feel depressed ;.;

I really loved the music part , at the end of movie..

9/10
Dec 28, 2013 2:56 AM

Nov 2012
holy damn!
such a beautiful movie.. got 9 from me :'
almost speechless while watching this anime
the art is good.. the story is perfect..
and.. WHY I DONT REALIZE IT!
I should know since the beginning that the robot will became kurumi.. the old man really down while get a phonecall.. that must be haru.. and the one on the plane is kurumi.. why I'm not realize it?!
such beautiful movie.. :""
so much feeling.. :'
Dec 28, 2013 3:05 PM

Mar 2010
Man I loved this movie. So heart tearing it was at the end though, that twist.. Oh man. That got my tears flowing. Gave it a 10/10 for its uniqueness and sweet story 'n romance.
Dec 28, 2013 6:44 PM

Jul 2009
Good Movie overall... but

I am wondering why is everyone keep saying HAL was the robot and not Kurumi?
I mean if you watched the whole movie its clear that HAL Was the human who did not die from the plane explosion after he suddenly got the Flashback of him on the airport seeing Kurumi going into the plane that afterwards turned into a ball of flame at the near end of the movie....

But still at the moment all the synopsis for the movie and background info on the character said's that HAL is QO1 the robot... even the current reviews im reading saids HAL is the robot >_> lol
オール・イズ・バニッティー

Dec 29, 2013 1:05 AM

Aug 2013
The animation was beautiful. I was reminded of "Chihayafuru" many a times.
I just love the character designs for Shoujos and Joseis.

The twist caught me completely off-guard. It was a good thing I never read the manga and I pretty much knew nothing of this film going in.
Dec 29, 2013 9:37 PM

Sep 2011
mayukachan said:
Forgetful00 said:
mayukachan said:
Forgetful00 said:

Hm... I'm a little confused. Could someone explain the beginning to me where they show the grandpa telling Q01 to become "him", and then at the end they did a flashback where the grandpa tells Q01 to become "her"? That's what I'm confused about... I understood everything, except the beginning dialogue.

Thanks~

[EDIT] "Robot therapy": Was the beginning scene where the grandpa told Q01 to become "him" just what Haru thought happened because he went through that robot therapy?
funkotakuDec 29, 2013 9:53 PM
Dec 30, 2013 3:54 AM

Aug 2012
OriginANIME said:
Hm... I'm a little confused. Could someone explain the beginning to me where they show the grandpa telling Q01 to become "him", and then at the end they did a flashback where the grandpa tells Q01 to become "her"? That's what I'm confused about... I understood everything, except the beginning dialogue.

Thanks~

[EDIT] "Robot therapy": Was the beginning scene where the grandpa told Q01 to become "him" just what Haru thought happened because he went through that robot therapy?

Gramps used a neutral term for 'that person', so it was the translator's discretion that made it a 'him' at the start and 'her' at the end.
Dec 31, 2013 12:16 AM

Jun 2009
I've read the manga at least 3 times in the past 6 months as a way of preparing myself for this movie, but seeing the plot twist animated got me really bad ;_;

It was a really pretty movie, I enjoyed it a lot. Especially the voice acting; I didn't expect to hear Mamo-chan there omg.
Dec 31, 2013 4:13 PM

Dec 2013
Amazing movie! 10/10
The art was really breathtaking.
Can someone please tell me what Hal and his friend exactly do? like in that flashback when a robot pushed Hal into the water? I didn't get that part :/
Was it part of what he does to get out of debt?
Jan 1, 2014 7:09 PM

Oct 2011
OMG dat plot twit. I didn't expect that T___T

YuushaEmilia90 said:
Amazing movie! 10/10
Can someone please tell me what Hal and his friend exactly do? like in that flashback when a robot pushed Hal into the water? I didn't get that part :/

The flashback. They were getting those hearts ( memories) for the robots.
They sold androids to get out of debt. TwT
Jan 1, 2014 8:39 PM

Sep 2013
It just didn't resonate for me the whole thing seemed kind of off key so I won't give more than a 6 :/
Jan 2, 2014 12:29 AM

Aug 2012
Dammm that twist at the end got me, good movie 8/10.
Jan 2, 2014 7:30 AM

Dec 2013
AnimeFan500 said:

YuushaEmilia90 said:
Amazing movie! 10/10

how many hearts were there in the movie? didn't the broken one originally belong to Hal and the real Kurumi?
Jan 2, 2014 9:47 AM

Aug 2011
would have been more "complete" if it was longer, now it kind of feels like an hour wasted, though a good one. feels like a 'Hotarubi no Mori e' wannabe, and a poorly executed one. If it wasn't for the voice acting and plot twist, it would be a pretty plain and average romance anime.

7/10
Jan 3, 2014 9:40 AM

Oct 2011
YuushaEmilia90 said:
AnimeFan500 said:

YuushaEmilia90 said:
Amazing movie! 10/10

how many hearts were there in the movie? didn't the broken one originally belong to Hal and the real Kurumi?

Two?
Hal's broken one and Kurumi. Which she used to get Hal memories back.
Jan 3, 2014 3:39 PM
Jul 2013
Very nice story. The colorful animation, OST, everything was beautiful.
Jan 4, 2014 8:46 AM
Aug 2011
yesh what bugged me most were the whole suddenly believing he was a robot thing and the whole kurumi's body being perfectly intact after the crash.

but man, that robot can sure act =P though i don't get what that camera thing was about. at one point they said it was hal's heart that his parents bought him, but it seems like a normal camera plus sometimes kurumi's the one using it.... dunno, i just didnt get it =P

but other than that, loved the plot twist. i was getting kinda confused why they were hiding Hal's death from the whole town, even his friend. and how the "robot" hal was so quick to deleope feelings and how quick kurumi was to accept him... all part of a bigger plan.

octobrr said:

Did he move on from her death in the end? Because after he commented on the food, he called out Kurumi's name.

he's probably taking the old guy's advice about how when people die they're still with you, and you can still talk to them
Jan 4, 2014 5:54 PM

Oct 2012
A great movie but I didnt see that ending coming
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Worth watching?

adityasingh2705 - Jul 14, 2021

7 by wiiztec »»
Apr 25, 2023 3:52 AM

» Plot twist [Spoler]

Barry_Allen_14 - Aug 12, 2021

3 by SlammyHammy »»
May 19, 2022 9:10 PM

» I think I didn't understand the final, explain me please

b1GZZ - Dec 31, 2013

14 by aydentheweeb »»
Mar 7, 2021 1:07 PM

» Hal - Subbed or Dubbed?

tayssi - Mar 3, 2016

5 by JNSky »»
Dec 13, 2018 5:51 AM

» First 8 Minutes of the film is out!

Stark700 - Jun 3, 2013

16 by Lyyu »»
Nov 19, 2013 3:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.