Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 21, 2013 7:40 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Decent movie overall. The animation was solid and it conveyed the mechanics well!

There's definitely some emotions in this movie with the memories that paints the mood. The rubix cube was nice I guess although I'm not a fan of those stuff. I really fancy the technology used in this movie though especially with devices that can communicate with others like the one used with Haru.

It had some humor I guess like with the giraffe. But yeah, nice movie. :3. I liked the connection between Haru and Kurumi.
Dec 22, 2013 2:36 AM

Nov 2007
It looked like Hal was the robot and Hikikomori girlfriend waited for him, but with Mamo's character's barging in, it turns out that she was the robot and Hal lost memory over the grief that she died from the airplane "accident".
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 22, 2013 4:32 AM

Jul 2013
The Voice actress For Hal is Kojou From Strike The Blood

But the animation was nice, I really liked it
Dec 22, 2013 7:24 AM

Apr 2012
8/10 Ahhh the art and animation was so nice =v= I'm happy...

I kinda wanna hear the opinions of people who haven't read the manga prior to watching this. I wonder if this made them cry or not(or at least made them sad)?? I read the manga quite some time ago and I already knew about the "plot twist" so I didn't cry or feel that much sad.
Dec 22, 2013 8:04 AM

Aug 2008
siomaicchi said:
I kinda wanna hear the opinions of people who haven't read the manga prior to watching this. I wonder if this made them cry or not(or at least made them sad)?? I read the manga quite some time ago and I already knew about the "plot twist" so I didn't cry or feel that much sad.
I didn't read the manga, but got spoiled twice before watching this movie. But still, the plot twist worked for me, since I really thought that the boy was what he was supposed to be. But I didn't cry. I was a bit sad, but not enough to feel like crying.

I really liked the setting and the animation! I especially liked the kid crying over the giraffe while crossing the road. Nice too see Hosoya Yoshimasa and Miyano Mamoru working together again. XD
Dec 22, 2013 8:11 AM

Nov 2011
i liked the message of robot wrote in cubic

Dec 22, 2013 10:08 AM

Jun 2013
Haven't read manga and wasn't spoiled before watching this.

Enjoyed it a lot! Delicious feels and awesome twist. Live on, Haru :)

8/10
Dec 22, 2013 11:11 AM

Apr 2010
Nice movie after all. Though I found the first half quite boring, the plot twist caught me unprepared. Animation was good, but chara design was a bit plain.
An honest 7/10.
Dec 22, 2013 4:23 PM

Jul 2012
I'm pretty speechless right now. I don't care if this wasn't perfect or not. It stirred up my emotions and it was the most beautiful animation I've seen in a while. Of course Makoto Shinkai's works and KyoAni have done more, but this animation really appealed to me. The world building is gorgeous and realistic.

I didn't expect the twist at all (as a non-manga reader) and now that I think about it, the foreshadowing in the middle makes so much sense. How Hal can't cook, how she says that emotions can't be put into data, how she's the one who got on the plane...

I have not seen something as beautiful as this in a long time...Something that can make me so attentive while watching. 10/10 Might ascertain my rating later when my feelings have died down. This steals the spot for my favourite animated movie.
Dec 22, 2013 5:53 PM

Dec 2009
I think it was alright. I was pretty bored by the first half and was wondering why Hal suddenly was developing all of these emotions. Really wasn't expecting that plot twist--except I was a bit suspicious at one point. How did Kurumi have those video tapes when Hal (at that point when the plot twist wasn't revealed) died on the plane? How was he being recorded?

Another thing that bothered me was how she looked in the casket. How did they even find her? Unless that was the robot in there, which is equally as odd.

6.5/10 for me. If it weren't for the plot twist, eh.
Dec 22, 2013 7:02 PM

Mar 2012
At first, I didn't know what to feel about the plot twist, but after looking back at all of the foreshadowing and how everything was built up prior to revealing the twist, it ended up making a lot of sense. It felt a tad contrived with the setup of Hal waking up thinking that he's a robot and such, but I'll take it. Despite the foreshadowing and how the twist explains the events of the story, it was definitely pretty unexpected. It seemed like it would just be a peaceful, heartwarming story of learning to live again, and I would have been find if it went that route all the way through, but I did like how carefully and cleverly things were pieced together to culminate to the final twist. I really liked how the Rubik's cubes and buttons ended up being used in the story, with the message in the Rubik's cube being solved by various people in the town. Overall, I loved Hal's character, the animation, the atmosphere, and how the emotions were conveyed, and I thought it was a lovely little film.
Dec 22, 2013 7:37 PM

Nov 2009
Well, that was unexpected.

7/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 22, 2013 11:26 PM

Jun 2013
Hands down, one of the best movies ever that I've watched.

Totally didn't expect that to happen....

I hope HAL will find the will to live on.
Dec 23, 2013 12:34 AM

Sep 2011
I have never read the manga.

The beginning got me fascinated with the technology and how the village-like setting blended with it.

The art was certainly beautiful, wasn't top-class animation but yet a feast for the eyes, serene and beautiful to look at, them intricate details.

I found the concept of curing a person's unwillingness to move on in life by reintroducing the person who they lost, hard to digest even if they are well aware it's a robot. I felt it would push the person deeper into the dilemma to move on and in fact drive oneself into an illusion by accepting the robot is a reincarnation of the loved one. Which was what the hero desperately tried do if not for that unfortunate mishap at the river.

Of course, that thought process happened before the plot twist occurred which caught me off-guard. There were various foreshadowing which I missed, especially Ryu greeting Hal as though he's been alive all this while. What a hint.

At parts, the movie's proceedings were terribly slow paced even for a romantic drama and it bugged me to no end that the technological advancement and how this world is built wasn't explained as much as I expected, we received vague details about technology and shards of memories from the hero's tragic past.

I wonder does the manga delve in deeper or paint a clearer picture for the readers regarding the structure of this world and it's inhabitants.

Overall I rate this experience a 7/10(kudos to the well timed plot twist), it's a tale of a man moving forward in life, not an emotional journey but much more towards a heartwarming story. I would have enjoyed it more if not for the sluggish pacing and light world building.

PS:
Beautiful ED song with the montages and the final post credit scene was a definite plus too, cementing the final thought of this movie.

siomaicchi said:
8/10 Ahhh the art and animation was so nice =v= I'm happy...

I felt for the man, Hal, but it ends there. There wasn't that much of an emotional intensity overall. I felt pretty neutral until the plot twist occurred. After that point and all the way to final scene, I was moved much more by the plot and it's twist rather than Hal's life story.
DKNer0Dec 23, 2013 12:47 AM
Dec 23, 2013 3:44 AM
Jul 2012
I noticed this on the website I watched in its recent uploads. Clicked it and had no clue how much I was going to like this movie. As a matter of fact, I thought it was a new anime for the Winter season.

I stepped in and boy, I was in love by the end. I found the start to be a tad bit unexplained. Nothing really is explained, so it makes the viewer just assume a lot of stuff about the world and whats happening from whats shown. For instance, they tricked us into thinking that Kurumi was a shut-in because of the photos they showed.

Then, we moved onto the actual setting of this movie, where we meet Kurumi and see Haru "work" his magic. They meet, Kurumi gives the expected response of, "YOUR NOT MY HARU, GO AWAY!" Then, our hero goes and continues his quest as we see the character development and the eventually leaving of the house for our Kurumi.

We also meet Ryu, who strangly talks to Haru as if unaware he is dead. This, was something I was EXTREMELY DUMB to ignore!

Then, comes our twist that made me feel... really sad. Not cry, but just sad and made me wish for it to not be this way. And if you're as dumb as me(or just focused on enjoying the movie) Kurumi being the bot and Haru being the human in need was the hand that just slapped you right on the cheek till your face turns red. Dang, I was caught off guard completely. I didn't even pay heed or think deeply into any of the foreshadowing. From Ryu's strange outburst to Kurumi's suddle comments on emotions not being data. That plain memory flash just took me there! And we got our BFs Haru and Ryu fighting over Kurumi/bot. And then they fall and we enter the dream zone of these kind of moments.

Haru and Kurumi share a near silent conclusion of how they feel, until we see Kurumi let go and have Haru continue living. Also, if you noticed that Kurumi's arm that was letting go was the one that had cables and such coming off, I found that to be a little bit of good animation. Its good because it reminds you of the revelations to prepare you for our ending.

Haru is alive, and he and Ryu go all brothers on Haru's wants to save Kurumi. She is dead. And then, our hero, in short, moves on and accomplish Kurumi's dream of opening a small little shop for (I don't remember why, STUPID ME!)

Overall 10/10, the twist won me over and made this go from what would have been a 7 to a 10. I loved it! Physiology that I can love, drama and romance fit this movie like puzzle pieces and I LOVE THOSE GENRES!

PS: I didn't read the manga.
Dec 23, 2013 4:57 AM

Dec 2012
hard to stay put when watching this, cause the slow pace of the story. nice plot twist for the ending. it impressed me cause of unique story for a romance movie.

overall 77/100.
Dec 23, 2013 5:32 AM

May 2013
Beautiful movie, enjoyed it till the very end, was a sad yet tender relationship between the two <3
Dec 23, 2013 7:40 AM

May 2012
That was an unexpected plot twist...
Dec 23, 2013 10:45 AM

Apr 2009
Kanasshiiii Q.Q
Dec 23, 2013 12:49 PM

Jun 2012
This would be an excellent choice to adapt for a Noitamina anime especially with the episode count being only 11. Short and sweet but could flesh out some of the plot points only hinted at in the film

Nice film and had my suspicions about the plot twist about halfway in
Dec 23, 2013 1:41 PM

Aug 2009
DAMN... MIND = BLOWN! Wasnt expecting that...... //cries

very nice!~.. I hate sad stories so much but w/e.. i'll just accept these tears T /// T

THAT VERY LAST SECOND THOUGH... THE FEELS Q __Q

It must be so sad to lose a loved one...
Dec 23, 2013 2:42 PM

May 2011
I did feel for Hal, and I liked how things went about. I felt there were some points I would have wanted to see more about, like the surprisingly dark points of their world despite the overall calm feel of the setting. I wouldn't have minded seeing more about the friend as well since it was odd to me that things were alright with him by the conclusion. But otherwise, I'm pleased, I thought the bg was beautifully done.
Dec 23, 2013 3:01 PM

Sep 2008
After this movie I want Ao Haru Ride have anime and Production I.G make animation for it! *.*

As for HAL... I LOVE IT!
OMG! That plot twist!
That ending!
I can't deal with this!
and that

at the end...
My heart wasn't ready for such ending!
So many feelings... ;(
Dec 23, 2013 5:45 PM
Sep 2013
I didn't read the manga and personally the film confused me a little bit. The story seemed really short to me - im not sure if that was what the writer was after or not but one minute i was 15 minutes in, the next it was already nearly an hour. But considering I watched it without even reading up on the film, I enjoyed it, it didn't make me sad though D:.
Dec 23, 2013 6:11 PM
Mar 2012
Really loved how they adapted this movie. Execution and animations were superb
Dec 23, 2013 6:58 PM
Jul 2018
Great movie! I kinda wish it was longer but oh well.
Dec 23, 2013 7:10 PM
Aug 2011
That's one perfect voice cast and those are some pretty pretty visuals and animation.

But that twist.
Though it didn't take me by 100% surprise because I was questioning the situation when "robot" Haru's friend was all "Hey, Haru I haven't seen you for a while".
That kind of greeting/comment makes you wonder how the guy didn't know his childhood friend had died on a plane.
standDec 23, 2013 7:21 PM
Dec 24, 2013 1:32 AM

Aug 2013
I get it.. but I also don't get it ... it made no sense to me.... What did I just watch????
I honestly don't have a single clue on how to rate this, I have neither positive nor negative feelings towards this because I don't even know what I was watching for the past hour.
All the anime endings I saw today made no sense to me, first beyond the boundary and then this.
Gosh, my head aches just trying to figure things out.

Not scored/10, Beyond Masterpiece, it's at a rank of its own, none other than this anime have left me this clueless and speechless. Gonna wake up tomorrow morning with a huge headache thanks to this.
Dec 24, 2013 5:55 AM
Jun 2009
Watching this alone at home in Christmas night.....God! The feel! I shouldnt do that, the sadness is killing me!
soluuloiDec 24, 2013 6:07 AM
Dec 24, 2013 6:49 AM

Feb 2012
I was caught off guard with that twist! Didn't see it coming!! After the twist, it sorta made sense why she didnt eat what Hal prepared... but then a mistake was for the part when they were eating ice cream. lol. Before the plot twist, I was like, ohhh, robots (Hal) could eat. Then the plot twist... oops i think they should've cut that ice cream scene. lol

Aside from that, good movie, good movie! Didn't cry but I wasn't expecting the twist as well.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Dec 24, 2013 7:35 AM

Aug 2013
I loved the movie but I hoped for more minus -1 and the animation was great only the art is a little not good , the sudden twist plot thinking that he was the one dead was Good .
7/10

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Dec 24, 2013 10:00 AM

Jan 2009
A great movie, I really liked the plot twist and of course, the great character designs by Sakisaka Io ♥
I hope some day one of her creation will see the light of anime, and not only her designs.
Dec 24, 2013 10:51 AM
Dec 2012
almost cry ! But i hold it in ! damn i thought this was a normal romance robot anime, but wow this is so GOOD make me feel like ghost in the shell SAC once again , kurumi remind me off Kusanagi Motoko , that art , that feel , i almost think that his friend i super evil but plot twist ,they all know ,it got me good!
Dec 24, 2013 11:18 AM

Jan 2013
8/10
Very good movie.
Dec 24, 2013 12:11 PM

Jul 2012
Forgetful00 said:
All the anime endings I saw today made no sense to me, first beyond the boundary and then this.

What did you not understand? I mean, after the twist, it was pretty self explanatory to me.
Dec 24, 2013 3:10 PM

Aug 2011
I was somewhat relived after the twist because just before it I thought this movie was dumb. Still the twist didn't change the fact I got little bit bored and I felt nothing.
Dec 24, 2013 5:00 PM

Aug 2013
mayukachan said:
Forgetful00 said:

What did you not understand? I mean, after the twist, it was pretty self explanatory to me.

I know, I understood everything after the plot twist, but it doesn't make any sense to me.
They did a poor job setting a up, the first 5-7mins and the last 15mins don't make any sense at all.
Dec 24, 2013 6:55 PM

Apr 2012
i predicted the whole thing... .___.
it was a decent movie though, nicely conveyed emotions and pretty animation.
Dec 24, 2013 7:59 PM

Jun 2012
Holy shit that twist!! That was amazing, the animation and music were superb. That ending! God damn that was good. I wish it was longer. Really pulled on my heartstrings there.

Wit Studio is one to look out for, they are going to be big.
9/10
Dec 24, 2013 8:55 PM
Jun 2012
woow just finished watching. that twist tho lol pretty good movie overall
Dec 24, 2013 9:23 PM

Jul 2010
I was a lot more emotionally invested in the movie than I was in the manga, which is surprising since I was aware of the twist before watching the movie. It was also a nice treat seeing Sakisaka Io's designs animated, I really hope her works receive anime adaptations someday.
Dec 25, 2013 3:45 AM

May 2008
MIND FUCK! hahaha liked it!
Dec 25, 2013 9:07 AM

Feb 2013
I really love the animation and the colors they used. The story is unexpected with twists and turns. It's just sad to know what's the story behind it. Overall, it's amazing!! :3 And I think it's the first animation for Ayase Umi, correct if I'm wrong, kudos to her. Sakisaka Io's works look similar to hers, though.
Dec 25, 2013 12:15 PM

Nov 2007
I didn't even saw the plottwist coming at all,
But it was a rlly nice moving, I barely watching anime movies but I have not regretted a minute of watching this one, even thought the end is a bit... god why x3
Dec 25, 2013 2:01 PM

Jul 2012
Forgetful00 said:
mayukachan said:
Forgetful00 said:

I know, I understood everything after the plot twist, but it doesn't make any sense to me.
They did a poor job setting a up, the first 5-7mins and the last 15mins don't make any sense at all.

Dec 25, 2013 2:48 PM

Jul 2012
Man, what the HELL?
I got my dreams and hopes crushed right here.

EXCELLENT movie, what the hell people, how can you not like this more?
Damn

daaaaaamn
it was really sad :(
Dec 25, 2013 3:37 PM

Dec 2012
Fucking Brilliant. I just loved it, the plot twist was great and I didn't see it coming at all. In retrospective it had some nice subtle foreshadowing. I really wasn't expecting much but it blew my expectations. This movie deserves more love.

I loved the clam atmosphere of it and the setting was also nice.I can't believe how emotionally invested I was, even though it's a short movie. The animation and character design were great so was the ending song. I hope the movie did well in Japan.

Easy 9/10
tsudecimoDec 25, 2013 3:42 PM
Dec 25, 2013 4:32 PM

Jul 2012
tsudecimo said:
Fucking Brilliant. I just loved it, the plot twist was great and I didn't see it coming at all. In retrospective it had some nice subtle foreshadowing. I really wasn't expecting much but it blew my expectations. This movie deserves more love.

I loved the clam atmosphere of it and the setting was also nice.I can't believe how emotionally invested I was, even though it's a short movie. The animation and character design were great so was the ending song. I hope the movie did well in Japan.

Easy 9/10

haha there you go brother, well said
Dec 25, 2013 4:39 PM

Mar 2011
Honestly I was pretty bored and then BAM, that really well done plot twist. The animation was lovely! 8/10

I also wrote a review that has my complete thoughts. Please give it a look!
TheArchangelDec 25, 2013 6:39 PM
Dec 25, 2013 5:09 PM

Mar 2012
klasmiit-gamay said:
I really love the animation and the colors they used. The story is unexpected with twists and turns. It's just sad to know what's the story behind it. Overall, it's amazing!! :3 And I think it's the first animation for Ayase Umi, correct if I'm wrong, kudos to her. Sakisaka Io's works look similar to hers, though.
Sakisaka Io did the character designs. Ayase Umi just did the manga. The conception of the movie came before the manga, if I'm not mistaken.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Worth watching?

adityasingh2705 - Jul 14, 2021

7 by wiiztec »»
Apr 25, 2023 3:52 AM

» Plot twist [Spoler]

Barry_Allen_14 - Aug 12, 2021

3 by SlammyHammy »»
May 19, 2022 9:10 PM

» I think I didn't understand the final, explain me please

b1GZZ - Dec 31, 2013

14 by aydentheweeb »»
Mar 7, 2021 1:07 PM

» Hal - Subbed or Dubbed?

tayssi - Mar 3, 2016

5 by JNSky »»
Dec 13, 2018 5:51 AM

» First 8 Minutes of the film is out!

Stark700 - Jun 3, 2013

16 by Lyyu »»
Nov 19, 2013 3:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.