Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 »
Oct 21, 2014 9:56 PM
Jul 2014
Lumia-san said:
I really enjoyed the series despite the many things that were left unexplained.

I'm glad about the happy ending but it would've been much better if she stayed dead in the end.

In my explaination:
she never died she was trapped inside of his youmu. she absorded his youmu and couldn't control it so it was trying to kill her to get free and thats where he had to go and save her. so when he took the youmu she was already trapped and the ending was the youmu releasing her by using her families ring as a catalyst.

I think the antagonist's beam was waiting for the youmu to kill mirai so it would be free and he would absorb it and control its power. Since he had already done it before with the youmu inside of him, but i could be wrong.
Dec 11, 2014 5:33 AM

Nov 2009
Thought the ending would've been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better had she been left dead....but hey can never complain about a happy ending. Still an awesome show, will never forget it.
Dec 16, 2014 8:10 AM
Jul 2014
Consumed said:
Thought the ending would've been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better had she been left dead....but hey can never complain about a happy ending. Still an awesome show, will never forget it.

She never died, they said she was dead but that was a lie, otherwise then why did the youmu have to fight her inside the snow world. then once the youmu went back into akihito she went along with it, thats how she was pulled out and summoned back into the real world.
Jan 6, 2015 8:44 PM

Sep 2014
6 up to final two episodes
The last two were brilliant so 7

But then they pull the biggest ass pull Ive ever seen out of fucking nowhere; it would be dishonest for me to give this a positive rating: 4/10
Jan 7, 2015 12:07 AM

Feb 2013
I think it would've been wayyyyy better if Mirai was actuall dead. Not that I hate her but it would've been more impactful. They didn't realy explain how she returned so I'm calling deus ex machina. It also looks like Izumi disappeared along with Fujima Miroku. I wonder where they went.

Enjoyaable series with some really funny moments. Now to wait for the movie that's coming whenever.
Feb 1, 2015 11:12 AM

Mar 2014
good anime but way too much shit unexplained like how she came back and who akkey's father is

also would have liked seeing his mom fight because she seems like she could be op
Feb 7, 2015 2:24 AM

Mar 2014
I liked the fact that the ending wasn't girl and boy fight evil and defeat it and guy gets girl afterwards. The idea that we coexist with the bad side is quite nice and more realistic actually.
I'm also puzzled about the fact that mirai came back to life, maybe it will be explained in the movie....maybe she became immortal also?:)))
Feb 12, 2015 10:43 PM
Aug 2012
Is it only me or does anybody wonder that Mirai in last scene is only aki's illusion? Nobody else confirmed that she is back alive.
Feb 15, 2015 4:21 AM

Dec 2014
And here i am getting excited because of Mirai evaporating/vanishing so i can finally ship Akihito x Mitsuki... 😢😰😢😰😧😨😥
Wow that's sucky, i hope the movie shows that epilogue in episode 12 that aki is halucinating.
Feb 15, 2015 4:30 AM

Aug 2013
testamentKAISER said:
And here i am getting excited because of Mirai evaporating/vanishing so i can finally ship Akihito x Mitsuki... 😢😰😢😰😧😨😥
Wow that's sucky, i hope the movie shows that epilogue in episode 12 that aki is halucinating.

Nope. The trailer for the movie shows that Mirai is fine and dandy, but simply lost her memories.
Feb 22, 2015 11:56 AM

Apr 2014
ok the ending was rushed , didnt explain anything... but people want happy endings,
whats wrong with that...
this world is sad enough why would anyone wanna cry over anime??

liked it , 8/10
Feb 24, 2015 11:40 AM

Jul 2014
Despite many things being unexplained I still enjoyed watching it and that's all that matters to me :)
Mar 8, 2015 2:06 PM

Sep 2014
Anime was good, and unfortunately, only good. The story was not any special. Characters could be liked, especially Kuriyama. It is unfortunate that a happy ending is not somehow explained (as she came back to life), but at least we have experienced it.
The best thing about anime is the ending, which I will not soon forget.
6/10 + my viewing pleasure.
Mar 21, 2015 12:22 AM

Mar 2014
Well then. Looks like we got more questions than we got answers. With that said, I'm looking forward to see what the upcoming movie will be about.
I give the anime a 6/10. Enjoyed it. The score would be higher if more was explained, because the animation and soundtrack were outstanding.
Zanos1Mar 21, 2015 12:28 AM
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jun 7, 2015 9:55 AM

Nov 2012
After some reading, it seems that this first season didn't even cover the first volume of the light novel, only about two thirds of it. Maybe, if they had covered the whole novel (or even planned a 13-episode season), they could have explained who the **** used the Dragonballs, because that ending was all "what the actual ****" to me.
ZEHAHAHAHA
Jun 7, 2015 11:51 AM

Sep 2014
Bah, Izumi stayed alive. How unpleasant.
Jun 21, 2015 1:50 PM
Jun 2015
Mirai is dead or Alive?
Jul 7, 2015 7:29 AM

May 2015
This is totally EPIC!!!!! I love the ending so much! It didn't disappoint me! Yey <3 <3 <3
Jul 15, 2015 3:25 PM

Jun 2014
okayyyy so many last minute details revealed. Like Izumi and the other guy being half demons too.

And if Mirai disappeared when the KnK dimension dissolved (because she was part of it), why didnt Aki, Ayama, and Ai disappear too? They were inside it as well..

wat WHAT how did Aki know Mirai was back just by the ring disappearing? WAT HOW is Mirai back? And no explanation??

Now im unsure whether to rate this 7 or 8/10..
Jul 26, 2015 11:35 PM
Apr 2015
Excellent animation and fighting. The last scene is touching but probably better left as a cliff hanger.

Overall an enjoyable anime. Funny all the haters finished watching it anyway. Lots of masochists on MAL, it's fun to watch them suffer.
Aug 11, 2015 5:01 PM

Aug 2014
A nice way to end the series. (how did mirai come back??)
Sep 2, 2015 10:28 PM
Feb 2015
I found this show surprisingly entertaining. The ending was good. 8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 28, 2015 3:42 AM

Dec 2013
Definitely mixed feelings for this finale.

It felt like part of this episode was setting up a season 2 which is never going to happen.

In the end Mirai's sacrifice was nothing because he ended up with that Yomu inside of him again. What was the point???

Then she comes back with absolutely no explanation -___-

6/10 overall
Dec 26, 2015 2:03 AM
Sep 2015
Loved the previous few episodes, but didn't like this finale. Big Sister never owned up or explained the fact that SHE was the one who brought this crisis about - for trying to save the world, she sure had no qualms about putting it in danger. Then the action in that "pocket dimension" was so exaggerated it felt like something out of a completely different anime (something like Kill-la-Kill perhaps.) If the rest of the show had been like that, that would've been fine, but here it's way too immersion breaking. And then the ending...

Though it apparently isnt as happy as it seems based on a continuation of the final scene from the recap movie, as far as the series goes it feels like nothing less than an ass pull.
Jan 2, 2016 2:02 PM
Oct 2014
Eh, it isn't so much of an ass pull than it is a story with a flawed narrative. Adaptations can hardly be any better than their source material and while Kyoukai no Kanata has an interesting premise, it ends up falling flat on its ass, just like our heroine Mirai does throughout the show.

I don't write reviews often, but this show had me so frustrated with how all over the place and bad it was that I might finally write a proper review.
randomman57Jan 2, 2016 2:51 PM
Jan 4, 2016 9:42 AM

Apr 2015
End of the series and one word after it. Eh?
Jan 9, 2016 4:32 PM
Feb 2015
But I didn't understand ? Why is she there when she vanished from the other dimension ?

That's some Madoka shit right here, I hope the movie won't be a fucking ununderstandable thing like MAdoka: Rebellion
Jan 12, 2016 8:32 AM

Mar 2014
So... Mirai is back from the dead because of vague reasons, and Kyoukai no Kanata is back inside Akihito?

Nothing has changed, and this anime was completely useless?

Was going to go with a 4/10 but I can't stand bullshit endings, so 3/10
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 12, 2016 8:41 AM

Nov 2013
Comic_Sans said:
So... Mirai is back from the dead because of vague reasons, and Kyoukai no Kanata is back inside Akihito?

Nothing has changed, and this anime was completely useless?

Was going to go with a 4/10 but I can't stand bullshit endings, so 3/10

The movie sequel explains what happened in the series' ending, you can always watch that if you want to drop the score for KNK even further.
Jan 26, 2016 10:06 PM

May 2014
kalinime said:
Loved the previous few episodes, but didn't like this finale. Big Sister never owned up or explained the fact that SHE was the one who brought this crisis about - for trying to save the world, she sure had no qualms about putting it in danger.

I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one who felt this way. Fuck Izumi. She's a dreamshade. Big fuckign deal. Hypocritical bitch, deceptive and manipulative. Qualities of an asshole. best thing that happened was the Izumi lost her power over her family. Hopefully she loses her influence as well. Thank god Hiroomi is now the new leader and that he DOESN'T want to become like her. Done with Izumi, fuck her character.

WEll the protagonist was badass... for way too little. Tha tinfinite stamina too from Kirai. Was she fighting for like months straight?

That ending.. gag anime as of now.
# end rant #fuckIzumi
How is this anime rated near an 8? Picture two strings side by side. Parallel at first, then combining to be an entagled mess, then slowly straigtening out, but never becoming parallel to each other again.

Ignoring the fact that the 'parents' are all nonexistent(maybe they deliberately did this, and ignored any attempts of explaining this to mystify the premise of the show?), so many incomplete explanations regarding background information on the characters. We know nothing on most of the characters lol. What backstory...Minor point though. But in all honesty....

A convoluted mess with inconsistent execution, probably have to rewatch it to rate it more truthfully. Though it does lose points for being so incomprehensible in the first binge watch. It's not like I had a week in between to forget things. Some moments felt so masterfully executed, so eloquently fluid...yet some moments were plain ol garbage.

Guess it sets up for the "summary" very well.
Feb 19, 2016 2:15 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
I didn't like the ending. If she was going to survive anyway I'd much rather have these 5 minutes of them living as a couple or something like that instead of forced drama and false suspense just to get a huge cocktease in the end without any explaination.
Mar 7, 2016 6:48 AM
Mar 2016
So here's whar happened: On Mirai-hen, near the end, somebody (I forgot who it was) told someone else that when she dies, she requested to be forged into a ring, and that she will protect the one that whoever holds the ring loves. Akihito was holding holding Mirai's ring, so basically, Mirai was saved because she wasn't the one wearing the ring, remember during their fight with the hollow shadow, she was wearing her ring the whole time, and I think it saved akihito. Now what I don't know why is that Mirai lost her memory at the end of Kako-hen. But I do believe that the Mirai who fought with the KnK wasn't the actual Mirai, maybe her soul or what they call her blood, (since she wasn't wearing her signature glasses by then). Yet, everything I just said is still a speculation and nothing more.
Mar 14, 2016 11:34 PM

Apr 2015
There were many questions left unanswered. What was the juice box guy's motive? Where is he and Izumi after that? And most importantly, why the hell was Mirai alive at the end? She literally vanished in front of Akkey minutes before that.

Besides that, many of the characters aren't even memorable. For example, Aya, Ai, and Sakura are just... there. The characters are lacking development and I wasn't emotionally involved with them or cared about them in the end.

6/10. The past few episodes are already getting better, but we all ended up confused as hell with this ending. If only they focused on the plot from the start and removed those filler episodes, then I would have given KnK a higher rating.

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Mar 15, 2016 10:20 AM

Jul 2014
I enjoyed watching this series but that ending though!

As much as I prefer having happy endings and seeing couples end up together in love and all that fluffy stuff, this show would have wrapped up better if they didn't show Mirai... even if we were basically left speculating whether or not she's the real and live Mirai or just something from Akihito's imagination with the help of the KnK.

I for one will just go on to believe that she really is dead and the Mirai that showed up in the end was just the KnK acting up due to Akihito's strong feelings. Kinda sad but better overall (IMO at least).
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Mar 20, 2016 4:39 PM

Jan 2014
WolfChaos said:
I just marathoned this show. I have to say I liked it quite a bit. I'd totally watch more if it gets a second season. Anyways I'll give this an 8/10.

Same here. Good to watch, sympathetic characters, excellent production values, and some nice plot twists, even though the plot itself had more holes than swiss cheese. Didn't expect those straight up confessions by the way. 8/10

I was left with some questions though:

• How did Mirai come back?
  • How many litres of blood does Mirai's petite body contain; did she not tend to faint after using her blade for a few slashes?
  • Where did Izumi go?
  • Why was there a youmo in Izumi, and what was it?
  • Why was there a youmo in Fujima, and what was it?
  • What motive did Fujima have in aiding the KnK, what motive could he possibly have?
  • What exactly is Akihito, who is his 'father'?
  • If the solution was for Akihito to return the KnK inside of him, what exactly was the point of Izumi's and Mirai's actions, what exactly was the point of this series?
  • What exactly is Kanbara Yayoi, wasn't she supposed to be a 'normal' human?
  • How can Sakura still see everything youmo related even without the scythe; is it because of the bell?
  • What is that bell on Sakura's neck?
  • What happened to Sakura's parents, are they o.k. with their only remaining daughter's life choices?
  • Are there any other humanoid youmo other than Ai and Ayaka?
  • If youmo are born of negative emotions, what exactly are Ai and Ayaka?
  • If Ayaka buys all the stones, what does she do with them?
  • Who is Nonomiya's hairdresser, who fixes her hair in the middle of the night in five minutes?
  • Why does Mitsuki get so little love, why is even her jealousy about Mirai x Akihito left completely unadressed?

Also, maybe a question to other viewers: why does everyone dislike Izumi? Yeah, she was more or less the bad guy, but she pretty much had to be.
LaionidasMar 20, 2016 4:48 PM
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Apr 6, 2016 7:52 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
I m glad the series got a sequel, because you just dont end it like this, talk about putting everything mixed together to try to appeal to the viewers, like they just remenber they should, but failing miserably on the execution in part due to the little time they had to conclude it. In short, one of the worst rushed ending I have seen, even worst is that the anime had alot of potential, and while this isnt the only flaw, it is the most annoying one by far.
May 14, 2016 10:34 PM

Jan 2010
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would have, especially since this came after Chuunibyou. Surprising that after making a parody of fantasy/action shows, Kyoto Animation went ahead with a straightforward fantasy/action show which, somehow, turned out comparatively better in my eyes. Kyoukai no Kanata certainly flip flopped a lot between life/death struggles and comedy, but neither ever really felt particularly heavy. At least until the latter episodes anyways. These last few episodes were crazy rushed with a lot of plot points, motives, and explanations swiftly swept under to give way the reunion at the end, resolving everything in one quick motion.

The action was pretty to look at and I enjoyed the comedic bits. Even though both elements still feel disjointed, alone they worked for me. Altogether, it made for a clumsy mess of a show, but I still had fun, so I can't complain. I'll be sure to check out the movies whenever I get the chance.
Jun 1, 2016 12:16 PM

May 2016
So in the end it was still a happy ending. With that being said there's no oppurtunity left to point out anything special since everything got pretty much wrapped up now. I'd have appreciated a darker plot since the story had enough potential to go this way.
Jun 15, 2016 8:54 AM

Feb 2016
So in the end it was still a happy ending. With that being said there's no oppurtunity left to point out anything special since everything got pretty much wrapped up now. I'd have appreciated a darker plot since the story had enough potential to go this way.
Jul 7, 2016 2:23 PM
Nov 2012
So the whole anime was about getting rid of KnK. then after all that fighting mirai had been doing solo, aki just absorb knk back instead of killing it.

So.... everything that happened was done in vain and nothing changed.
except mirai and aki now really like each other

Am I missing something here? The whole thing felt really pointless if they did all that just to go back to sq.1
Jul 31, 2016 3:40 PM

Nov 2015
Nice job listing the unanswered questions jaja.
I haven't read the LN and I don't know if will pick it up but with this ending I fell they really rushed some things and forgot to answer others. I won't say KyoAni did a bad job but I don't think it was lack of attention by our part but things left aside.
We need answers to each of those questions!

And yeah, the end of the anime is like the start. Akihito has the Beyond the Boundary youma inside, the only difference is that he and Mirai like each other and they know it. Not the best love story ever told, but good enough!
HumbertoZeroAug 1, 2016 9:08 AM
Aug 1, 2016 1:02 AM

Jan 2014
HDarkmantis said:
Nice job listing the unanswered questions jaja.
I haven't read the LN and I don't know if will pick it up but with this ending I fell they really rushed some things and forgot to answer others. I won't say KyoAni did a bad job but I don't think it was lack of attention by our part but things left aside.
We need answers to each of those questions!

And yeah, the end of the anime is like the start. Akihito has the Beyond the Boundary youma inside, the only difference is that he and Mirai like each other and they know it. Not the best love story ever told, but good enough!

I don't want to spoil anything, but the sequel movies is going to dissapoint you, I guarantee it. The animation is superb, but it seems like they didn't even try to make it into a cohesive story. Also, it's got more cheese on it than on an American pizza.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Aug 1, 2016 9:08 AM

Nov 2015

It was quite a nice episode, very good final episode.
The feels hit, I can't deny that. While I did not cry I felt them hit in any case.

But, there's this thing I don't understand... how did she survive? why is she there?
There's no explanation to that, she just appeared there... I think that this needed an episode 13 to explain that and the other loose ends that this episode left, like basically Miroku, Izumi, and Mirai.

Again, within what I was expecting from this series and what it aimed for I think it was a good ride. I'll give it a 8/10 with some upside downs but in general it was a good story with amazing animation and sound. I do see and understand that the plot holes are there and somehow push me to lower the rate to at least 7/10 but there's still material and I'll give it the chance. In any case, 7/10 is still pretty good rating.

We still have the Kyoukai no Kanata: Idol Saiban! Mayoi Nagara mo Kimi wo Sabaku Tami ONAs, the Kyoukai no Kanata: Shinonome Prequel, and the Kyoukai no Kanata Movie: I'll Be Here - Mirai-hen Sequel Movie so, we still have material to go on!

Sep 6, 2016 2:24 AM

Jul 2009
i just finished it. i like it but i didnt understand the disney ending. They explain what happened in movie 2? i have yet to see.
Oct 22, 2016 7:07 PM
Jul 2018
Such a beatiful final episode, I loved it.
Again, Akihito and Kuriyama's relationship is just fucking adorable *.*

Such amazing art, awesome plot, cool pace, damn.
Loved every second of it *.*
Can't wait to watch all the specials and movies XD
Nov 29, 2016 7:28 AM
Jan 2014
Well the show was pretty good for the most part, but it really went to shit towards the end, with this final episode being a completely incoherent clusterfuck.
Dec 21, 2016 6:10 PM
Jun 2016
I still don't get it. Why Miroku wants to kill Akihito or what was his mission ? Why he stoled the Hollow Shadow ?
Dec 27, 2016 9:53 AM

Aug 2016
So they won't explain how did she back?? Fuyukai-des~~
not even what did Izumi-nee san do?? Fuyukai-des~~
and A LOT of other unexplained stuff?? FUYUKAI DES!!!!!
Mar 22, 2017 5:46 PM

Apr 2016
What an unbelievably stupid clusterfuck of a show. 3/10
May 4, 2017 2:10 AM

Apr 2008
I came and expected to be disappointed, still got disappointed. This show is better than mediocre, but barely, by the skin of its teeth. It's kinda like the poor man's Monogatari, except Monogatari is a well-written series with interesting and complex characters. At least the animation and the character designs are top notch - I mean, it's a Kyoani show - and the music is pretty good, but that's it.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this signature is unavailable in your region.
Pages (11) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2013

195 by lordspacecat »»
Mar 10, 2023 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.