Forum Settings
Forums

Need some help picking out clothes for a manga character(drew designs)

New
Dec 13, 2013 10:16 PM

Mar 2013
So pretty much, I just need help finding the right clothes for a particular character, and since I didn't know what I wanted, I just drew everything I could think of for like 2 hours.

Here are the pictures:
http://melkaven.deviantart.com/art/Clothes-Designs-1-of-3-419672927
http://melkaven.deviantart.com/art/Clothes-Designs-2-of-3-419672632
http://melkaven.deviantart.com/art/Clothes-Designs-3-of-3-419672717

As per the aesthetics: I am aware most options look a lot like Sakura from Tsubasa Chronicles, that's kind of the color pallet I was going for. Preferably white with some lightblue/pink/green. Also, note that the party of main characters is always traveling from King to Queen on a quest, but she isn't originally rich or anything. She doesn't even understand the concept of money.

For her character: Her body is 17 years old, but her mental capacity is that of a child. She is supposed to be the epitome of cuteness, she has silver/white hair and green eyes. Imagine a child in a teenage body, easily misunderstanding situations with blissful innocence. Always, always, happy. Shining star of the party.

For the story setting: Its inside of a virtual fantasy world that the characters are trapped within (trust me this is not SAO). This character in particular is an AI(so you can understand why she doesn't understand social concepts). She uses magic for attacks(no wand or staff, just hands) and note that she is super OP so she never actually fights (pacifist).

Just state the numbers you think would work.

Thanks everyone~! :D
Dec 14, 2013 3:10 AM

Aug 2013
Hey!

Well the whole purpose of clothing to an AI woud be to covering your body.
Keep it simple but still beatiful. So i think number one should do the job.

The light-weight of these chothes should make it easy to move and cast magic.
Dec 14, 2013 3:58 AM

Mar 2013
Hmm, I guess one can work, but its definitely not eye-candy.
Dec 14, 2013 1:41 PM

Dec 2013
They are all goog i think ^^
But in my oppinion it should be something without a cape and propably with a overknee coat and trousers among that. I think somithing like number two.
And i would take more than one costume. I would find it nice to see a char who dosen't wear the same clothes every day. I think it would make the manga more interesting to look and read. :)
I hope i could help :)
Much success!
Dec 14, 2013 2:38 PM

Mar 2013
Am I the only one that digs the cape? lol

Also, yeah thats probably a good idea. More than one costume can definitely give variety to scenes.
Dec 14, 2013 10:50 PM

Apr 2013
Well what's her function? Is she a travelling member of the main party, or is she mainly a character that they just meet in places?

If she has to travel a lot she needs mobility so anything with a long dress is probably not the best route to go. I think a cape could work. Plus you said that she is overpowered, but refrains from actual combat so layer her outfit in a manner that fits that description. Have an under layer that is flexible for combat if need be with a casual look suitable for her role on top.

It might also help to have a certain aesthetic in mind for the region she comes from and look up fashion from that time era/location. That's what I do anyway, it helps with consistency and accuracy in my designs.
Dec 14, 2013 11:24 PM

Mar 2013
Lol I was waiting for a post from you, Absolution. You actually were the one who gave me this idea to draw as many designs as I could and then choose from there (although it was a long time ago).

Hmm, well she is part of the main party, and as per her heritage, she is actually a unit of the game, and not human at all. She is the servant of the main character(he is a mage and she is his familiar). In the beginning, she was naked and the main character just let her wear his cloak until the King decided to help them out (gave them some clothes too(which is where this stuff will come in)).

Yes, she travels with the main character everywhere(Being that she is his Familiar) and there's a lot of running around that is always going on, so I want her to be flexible (probably some kind of tight underclothes) but also have a nice look when idle. Cloaks give a good dynamic of movement and flow, as well as doing a nice job when the characters are slower and such, so I did a lot with cloaks.

She doesn't really attack because she only listens to Reikai(main character(yes, there is an obvious love interest too)) which is a total pacifist, but she does have OP as all hell magic(which she uses her hands for). Thought a cloak could work well for scenes when magic is done to create easily seen wind bursts and such.

The era/setting is mainly a fantasy-medieval land which has everything: desserts, plains, forests, coastlines, mountains, etc.. I don't want to bore you with details, but the characters are constantly on the move(7 or so characters), and they experience pretty much every landscape.
Dec 15, 2013 10:29 AM

Mar 2013
2 & 24
There's no particular reason for my choices, I guess. I usually pick costumes based on intuition. It might not be the best way, but it works for me. It would be great to let her struggle with her long dress though.
Dec 15, 2013 10:51 PM

Apr 2013
I remember. This is just the next stage in whittling down your choices. For instance, if I knew that my character would need to match a Victorian Era style, all of my sketches in the outfit grid would be victorian. Then I would start making more pointed decisions based on function. Then tweak, tweak, tweak, until I have a nice balance of aesthetic and functional design.

You're still at a lot of sketches. A cape/cloak is a nice multi-purpose element of design. Maybe design the cloak so that it can be taken apart and re-purposed. Like it's a long cloak for wind/cold, but the lower part can be separated and be used as a scarf for sand or something.

Obviously you know way more about your character than I ever will, but these are the types of things I would consider as you move forward with the design process. You're on the right track.
Dec 15, 2013 11:01 PM

Mar 2013
Alright, I'm going to try to mix a few and dwindle it down until I got a few left. Thanks for everyone's opinions. :)
Dec 16, 2013 1:27 PM

Apr 2013
Well, keep me updated. I'm interested in seeing how your project develops. Do you have a blog or something that you manage milestones with/post updates to?
Dec 16, 2013 4:10 PM

Mar 2013
I post pretty much everything on Deviant Art(even practice updates), but no, I don't have an official blog. Lol just know that I am literally working on it everyday(even during lunch hour at work). I was practicing hand poses the other day and drew about ~80 of them for practice. I guess I could start to post updates on Deviant Art as pertaining to blog/journal entries.

More topics from this board

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

3 by Vapor_AU »»
26 minutes ago

» BL reference in Tomodachi Life

Kinspie13 - 1 hour ago

2 by Oofmastre9000 »»
30 minutes ago

» advice for someone returning to art

Crystepsi - Apr 4

5 by haaku-san »»
5 hours ago

» Share an ai anime pic

NowOldCow - Dec 6, 2023

19 by loligoth666 »»
12 hours ago

» Show us your latest sketch or drawing v.2 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Feb 21, 2017

1629 by loligoth666 »»
Today, 8:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.