Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Dec 11, 2013 10:45 PM

Mar 2013
owh MILF
Aki's mom was great XD
Dec 11, 2013 11:17 PM

Oct 2011
I like the last two episodes but this episode felt too rushed man.Now only if they could've done more when they were airing fillers. So dumb. I was really hoping Mirai dies. It would leave more impact in the series. I dno't hate her but I think it would've been a great ending. Text scene didn't leave an impact at all. didn't make me cry or didn't leave an epic feeling like Chuunibyou.

Sakura and Ai best girls
Dec 11, 2013 11:54 PM

Nov 2013
This had gone from an easy 6.5 to a solid 9 for me in just two episodes.
[center][size=85][b]MAL Interviews[/size] | [/size][size=85][b]MAL's Chatting Corner | [size=85][color=darkviolet]If you wear Caesar's clothes, you have to behave like Caesar.[/color][/size][/b]
Dec 12, 2013 12:02 AM

Feb 2012
I know this is just a cartoon and not to be taken seriously, but it still bothered me. I don't care what kind of culture you're from, you should never physically abuse your own mother. :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 12, 2013 1:32 AM

Jan 2013
Amazingly beautiful animation. Like the best of any tv anime.

Good episode, a bit more complicated then I'd have liked.
Dec 12, 2013 5:23 AM
Feb 2013
EVERYTIME the opening is blended into the actual content of an anime, i go crazy and get goosebumps. (anyone remember the digimon adventure's ending where they have to leave the digiworld and suddenly the opening starts while i-only-know-her-german-name-damn throws her hat to her digimon? i just started crying like crazy haha)

this episode was SO good though. makes me desperately want to read the light novels, but alas, i don't want to start when it hasn't been translated completely yet. ///
Dec 12, 2013 5:40 AM
Dec 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Toucanbird said:
Is it just me or have a lot of people given up on this show way too early?

I remember when this series was within it's first 6 or 7 episodes and people were calling it a massive disappointment from Kyoto Ani. However, it seems like they really didn't give this series a chance to come to fruition. The last 3 or 4 episodes have been simply outstanding. I'd even put this up there with Hyouka in regards to how great its been.

Well, the Kyo-Ani haters aside, the first 6 or so episodes contained a lot of filler that had little to do with the main plot, and for several episodes, because of this, the show drifted around without seeming to have any direction. Pacing problems are one of the biggest turnoffs for people.

But of course once they got back to the actual novels the show found its grove and improved dramatically.

But this is not from the novel. Vol.1 only included Hollow Shadow arc so I don't know what you're saying.

KyoAni is only animating the first novel.

Edit: Rougly 80-90% is original from 6 and beyond.
aiemDec 12, 2013 6:11 AM
Dec 12, 2013 6:08 AM

Dec 2011
Mirai is still alive. My goodness. I really love how the Nase siblings stood up to Izumi this time.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 12, 2013 7:03 AM

Dec 2012
Takuan_Soho said:

Well, the Kyo-Ani haters aside, the first 6 or so episodes contained a lot of filler that had little to do with the main plot, and for several episodes, because of this, the show drifted around without seeming to have any direction. Pacing problems are one of the biggest turnoffs for people.

But of course once they got back to the actual novels the show found its grove and improved dramatically.

It's the other way around. Kyo ani went original from the filler fan-service episode and onwards.
Dec 12, 2013 7:08 AM

Sep 2012
tsudecimo said:
Takuan_Soho said:

It's the other way around. Kyo ani went original from the filler fan-service episode and onwards.

Have any novel readers, or anyone for that matter, confirmed that? If it's true, I have to praise KyoAni for fixing the story.
Dec 12, 2013 7:26 AM

Jul 2010
There is a 2nd novel. Does anyone know if the KnK story arc is in that?

Someone asked "Why the clubroom?" Why? Because that is where the shard of KnK was to re-youmoufy Aki.

I must be in the minority since I didn't feel that this was rushed at all. If anything, I thought they dragged out the story a bit in the last two episodes. I really have enjoyed the series and look forward to the "not unpleasant" ending for Aki and Mirai. (Call her Mirai for once, Aki! You don't have to be so formal with the girl you love!)
Dec 12, 2013 7:43 AM

Sep 2012
In the Kyoukai no Kanata, the dead Akihito was just a puppet so Akihito will be able get up to the KnK to save Mirai.

Black World is about the Kyoukai no Kanata, Akihito's mom tell to akihito how to save Mirai, the question is how Akkey's mom know what to do to save Mirai.

Akihito was sleeping for three months????? So Mirai has been facing off the KnK for three months?? that was too long.

I didn't notice Hiroomi was not wearing his scarf until Akkey said it.

This is the first time I saw Sakura worrying for Mirai. I think she hate Akihito by sacrificing Mirai to save him.

I almost cried when Akihito read the message of Mirai while showing Mirai fighting the KnK. "I don't feel unpleasant".

I laughed when Akihito is running then Sakura kicked him.
What the heck is happening, youmu's are pulling up in the KnK, even Ai-chan and Ayaka-san is pulling up.

Lol, Akkey knew that it's his mother inside the armor then he went uppercutting his mom. She's a hot mom :3 and even when bad times she can still joke around.

Akihito entering the KnK to save Mirai was pretty intense and in some way of awesomeness, hearing the OP twice was great and it inserted also in the great part of ending.

Mirai stabbed herself, noo???
Mirai was fine thankgoodness, Akihito almost cried and still kidding at the end.

Can't wait next week, the Gray World, it's like they helped each other to escape the Kyoukai no Kanata.
They really made their best make the last episodes, KyoAni really made a great job, even though I haven't watched the last episode I can say their doing their best :)

Last Episode next week.
Best Anime of the Season!! :)))
Dec 12, 2013 7:48 AM

Sep 2012
zensunni said:
There is a 2nd novel. Does anyone know if the KnK story arc is in that?

2nd novel? so that means there's a 2nd season of anime?? I hope so.
Don't know the arc, hope it's promising.
Dec 12, 2013 8:13 AM

Apr 2010
His mother sure is a unique person with that behaviour of her not to mention all the outfits that she was wearing, which makes me wonder about his father.
The episode itself was mostly overly dramatic in my opinion especially Akihito's behaviour could have been done better, not to mention some of the other characters.
Dec 12, 2013 10:41 AM

Aug 2008
Way to bring sexy back.
Dec 12, 2013 11:05 AM

Mar 2013
Wow that episode was so awesome!

I was getting all teary eyed when he was reading Mirai's letter. OMG

I got all kinds of feels the exact moment they mixed in the OP song and those last couple of scenes. This is ending really well and I can't wait till next week.
Dec 12, 2013 11:08 AM

Mar 2013
outkastfox said:
Awesome episode. Had me feeling when he was reading her message. The ending scene was to awesome. The song op with it went perfect. Can't wait till next Wednesday

OMG yes ^
Dec 12, 2013 11:12 AM

Mar 2013
Ryoweb said:
Only 2 more episodes to go! I think Kyoukai no Kanata is up there for surprise of the fall season. By the way, anyone else thinks that the ED in this is flawless? That song is just so awesome! Can't wait for next week!

that ed was beyond flawless!
Dec 12, 2013 11:22 AM

Oct 2013
oh god that text :'(

I really wish they had expanded this story line in the earlier episodes. I doubt Akkey's mother is going to tell him about himself in the next episode, so I'm hoping for a second season now.
Dec 12, 2013 11:32 AM

Jul 2013
Wow nice catch~ next week last episode
Dec 12, 2013 12:02 PM

Dec 2009
xchee said:
So tell me, am I just nitpicking or is there really a problem with the storytelling?
The animation for the action scenes was amazing though I'll give them that.

I do feel the same. It's pretty to watch but the characters are very bland and the story... well, I don't think I've ever felt this disconnected from a story. It just feels hollow and messy.
And that's strange because when I watch it, I feel like I should love this show but I just don't.
Hard to put it into words. :-P
ginko29Dec 12, 2013 12:06 PM
Dec 12, 2013 12:35 PM

Jul 2013
Amazing episode imo, really like the sentimental speech from Mirai when she left a message from Akihito. What's best that she is back in the ending scene :D

Those fight scenes, as well as Akkey's mom came by XD, just made the episode great. Also the op combining with the ed song made full of hype for next week's episode.

Dec 12, 2013 1:38 PM

Jun 2013
Holy Shit! This episode was amazing! im not sure how anyone could have anything bad to say about this episode! :)
Dec 12, 2013 2:59 PM
Dec 12, 2013 3:02 PM

Jul 2009
Damn those last few minutes were awesome
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Dec 12, 2013 3:08 PM

Nov 2013
Gotta say, Akihito's mom saved the episode from coming off as cringe-worthy to me.
Dec 12, 2013 3:15 PM

Dec 2009
SakurasouBusters said:
Holy Shit! This episode was amazing! im not sure how anyone could have anything bad to say about this episode! :)

I have quite a few but the main one was the bad guy we still don't know shit about, explaining what's going on while talking to himself and constructing a weird device (we also don't know shit about) powered by his car. That was some golden lazy storytelling.
Also, the weird mother seemed very out of place and Sakura is as useless as ever.

On the bright side, the action scenes were very nice to look at.
Dec 12, 2013 3:48 PM

Mar 2012
Litrydow said:
tsudecimo said:
Takuan_Soho said:

Have any novel readers, or anyone for that matter, confirmed that? If it's true, I have to praise KyoAni for fixing the story.

The anime went anime original after the 2nd episode. Actually, even the first 2 episodes had a lot of revisions to accommodate the changes the anime made. The Hollow Shadow arc is the story for the first volume, but it was SIGNIFICANTLY altered for the first arc of the anime. In fact, a lot of the characteristics and themes from the Kyoukai no Kanata arc from the anime consists of stuff they took from the original Hollow Shadow arc. They basically split the the Hollow Shadow arc into the anime Hollow Shadow arc and the anime Kyoukai no Kanata arc. They then filled the gaps with anime original content.

In the LN, Akihito's mom comes in at the last minute to save the day too.
EsclairDec 12, 2013 4:07 PM
Dec 12, 2013 4:04 PM

Jul 2012
xchee said:
I think I have a serious problem. Based on the comments, it seems like I'm the only one who's not enjoying this as much as I should. I know I was supposed to feel something when Akihito read Mirai's message but...I didn't feel anything. If any, all I saw was a label "this is the scene where we want you to feel sad" but that didn't resonate with me.

So tell me, am I just nitpicking or is there really a problem with the storytelling?

Don't worry you're not the only one. This show just doesn't strike any "feels" in me, simply because I don't really care about any of the characters. Well, maybe not all. Hiromi is an exception. I'm not much of a critique but I feel as if the execution is not neat enough. When I watched other "fantasy" shows like Shinsekai Yori, it felt really abnormal in each episode, which this show can't do for me sadly.
Dec 12, 2013 5:35 PM
Sep 2009
Ehhhh... The animation is great and all, but this episode was so lukewarm. The problem here is that the characters are so gimmicky that its hard to attach any actual emotional value to them. The dialogue here plays off catch-phrases and one-liners far too much, this results in it sounding so artificial. The relationship between characters is too underdeveloped because the show spent all its time with glasses-fetish or imouto-fetish otaku humor and skipped on actually giving genuine depth. Everything seems so polished and scripted, which just sucks all the life out of the story.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Dec 12, 2013 5:51 PM
Apr 2012
Yeah Akkey's mom is hilarious! I love Yayoi! Omg. This show is animated so awesomely!!! All hell is breaking loose! Kuriyama-san is such a BAMF!!! Taking on the Beyond the Boundary all by herself! Some of the sickest fight scenes I've ever seen! I'm so glad she's still alive!!!!
Dec 12, 2013 6:01 PM

Jul 2010
Nice cliffhanger, like the previous episode. Akihito's mom appearance is a bit asspull but 'k.
Dec 12, 2013 7:40 PM

Aug 2013
woah! Mirai was fighting all alone inside that dimension, sugoi!
And a little thanks to that Villain in glasses he made that dimension naked to the eye.

Aki's mom, I dunno if I will laugh at her or what. And aki's a half human and youmu, maybe his father was a youmu...

Dat ending.. Epic. I really missed that megane bishoujo.
Dec 12, 2013 8:14 PM
Oct 2012
Esclair said:
The anime went anime original after the 2nd episode. Actually, even the first 2 episodes had a lot of revisions to accommodate the changes the anime made. The Hollow Shadow arc is the story for the first volume, but it was SIGNIFICANTLY altered for the first arc of the anime. In fact, a lot of the characteristics and themes from the Kyoukai no Kanata arc from the anime consists of stuff they took from the original Hollow Shadow arc. They basically split the the Hollow Shadow arc into the anime Hollow Shadow arc and the anime Kyoukai no Kanata arc. They then filled the gaps with anime original content.

Thanks, someone had mentioned that the whole "younger sister as enemy" plot was original and that there was a lot of filler in the beginning and I had taken their word on it. This arc seemed so much tighter and fit with the first episode so well (and explained the actual name of the series), so I assumed that it had to have been from the book, if not the first novel then at least the second. I shouldn't assume stuff like that.

So basically they took a single novel and spread it over 12 episodes? No wonder it seems thin. You can't even spread peanut butter that thinly without losing its taste. It's not that this show is bad, and the art is as usual very good, but it really just felt like this show would have been better at 6 episodes (sort of like Hyouka), now I know why.
Dec 12, 2013 10:48 PM
Oct 2013
#UnpopularOpinion

I don't like this episode (even though episode 9 made me hard to breath because the cliffhanger was beautiful). It's totally predictable and cliche. That's all.
Dec 12, 2013 11:06 PM

May 2012
ginko29 said:
xchee said:
The animation for the action scenes was amazing though I'll give them that.

I do feel the same. It's pretty to watch but the characters are very bland and the story... well, I don't think I've ever felt this disconnected from a story. It just feels hollow and messy.
And that's strange because when I watch it, I feel like I should love this show but I just don't.
Hard to put it into words. :-P

^
exactly, the story is too bland and totally messed up. plus i hate flashback scene >,< .. especially when it's the same things being told. The protagonist doesn't really moves the show..

I JUST CAN'T FEEL THIS ANIME >.<
“They stood together in a false intimacy, a nervous contact. And he was in love with her.”
― D.H. Lawrence, Women in Love

Dec 12, 2013 11:21 PM

Oct 2013
The episode itself was Ok but then his mom shows up (and the subsequent scene felt kind of dull to me :/) and everything just goes fine with them, yay? well it was expected Mirai is alive anyway (and here i thought the anime took a serious route killing the mc)...can't really complain about this. I hope the last episode will be awesome.
Dec 12, 2013 11:36 PM

Oct 2011
I hope Mirai dies. That's the only way I'll give this anime a 10/10. Mirai dies, becomes vessel of KnK. KnK tries to kill Akihito's famiry and Akihito have to kill KnK, who has taken control of Mirai's corpse. That would be a work of art.
Dec 12, 2013 11:43 PM

Apr 2009
This anime is really good, hoping for a nice ending now.
Dec 13, 2013 12:02 AM

Jun 2009
drama_menck said:

Akihito's mother came out of nowhere showing how to save Mirai, I found forced through this part ..

I'd be a lot more worried if the mom never shows up... It's his freaking mother dammit!

He's in a coma for over 3 months.
His "true identity" is with his mother.
His mother seem to know everything that's going on since day 1.

Forced? Maybe... Definitely not as forced as the fact that it took her this long to actually show up and do something with her knowledge.
Dec 13, 2013 12:16 AM
Feb 2012
artesox said:
"I don't feel unpleasant"

And they finally made me cry.

Episode was very good overall, really a nice build up from last week and if they manage to finish it well I think this might be one of the best animes this year.

But...What is up with Mirai? She should have died a few times already, mostly that last one where she stabbed her own chest... there is something going on here.

I think it a best anime at this season.
But I really support if Kyokai no Kanata will be best anime of year.
Dec 13, 2013 12:28 AM

Mar 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Esclair said:

Thanks, someone had mentioned that the whole "younger sister as enemy" plot was original and that there was a lot of filler in the beginning and I had taken their word on it. This arc seemed so much tighter and fit with the first episode so well (and explained the actual name of the series), so I assumed that it had to have been from the book, if not the first novel then at least the second. I shouldn't assume stuff like that.

So basically they took a single novel and spread it over 12 episodes? No wonder it seems thin. You can't even spread peanut butter that thinly without losing its taste. It's not that this show is bad, and the art is as usual very good, but it really just felt like this show would have been better at 6 episodes (sort of like Hyouka), now I know why.

Volume 1 of the LN is actually fairly dense in terms of material. There's actually enough material to animate 8-9 episodes without feeling like they're stretching things. About 1/3 of the LN is entirely cut from the anime, and it actually has to do with the Nase family vs Youmu Hunter Society (and it's not just one dude running around), and it ties into Mirai's original storyline. Ninomiya-sensei actually has a pretty big role in the LN, as she acts as a bodyguard for the Nase family and is incredibly strong with space warping powers. Akihito is also a lot more experienced in combat in the LN. It's not that he's an active fighter or anything, but he's been in so many battles that he knows how to take advantage of his immortality when needed.

A faithful adaptation of the LN would have given us an Akihito vs Hiromi (flashback) in episode 2, and a Akihito+Mirai+Hiromi+Mitsuki+Ninomiya-sensei vs Youmu Hunter Society Assassins team battle in episode 4. Anyways, with 8 episodes of story, they could pad it out with the lantern festival episode and an epilogue, as well as add in a Mirai centric episode and a Hiromi/Mitsuki centric episode, giving us an even 12 with the idol episode as the bonus 13th.
Dec 13, 2013 6:01 AM

Jul 2013
Akihito's mum.. lol (had to facepalm there as well)
Good ep
Final ep next week :(
Dec 13, 2013 6:31 AM

Aug 2013
If that was my mother I'd have killed her lol
I love the ending scene <3 <3 it was epic
5/5 and 1 to go

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Dec 13, 2013 8:46 AM

Feb 2013
The ending was spectacular. This show had potential really...
Dec 13, 2013 9:23 AM
Jan 2010
can't watch this with a straight face
Dec 13, 2013 10:51 AM

Nov 2011
Great Episode ! everything has changed the writer really did a good job
Mirai's message made me T-T and Akihito's mom was funny LOOL
To desire some results, one must take actions
Dec 13, 2013 1:29 PM

Oct 2007
judojon said:
Ehhhh... The animation is great and all, but this episode was so lukewarm. The problem here is that the characters are so gimmicky that its hard to attach any actual emotional value to them. The dialogue here plays off catch-phrases and one-liners far too much, this results in it sounding so artificial. The relationship between characters is too underdeveloped because the show spent all its time with glasses-fetish or imouto-fetish otaku humor and skipped on actually giving genuine depth. Everything seems so polished and scripted, which just sucks all the life out of the story.

Glad at least one other person notices this. I mean it's so blatant to me, but I guess it really doesn't bother most of MAL. I don't know how it's possible to find charm and depth in a show where at what is supposed to be the penultimate and climactic moment of the episode the main character basically shouts, "I'D DO ANYTHING FOR A BESPECTACLED BEAUTY! I MUST SAVE HER FOR I AM A PERVERT!" like it's some heroic and determined psych up line. What's worse is after all the last two episodes have tried desperately to show us that their supposedly a deeply involved and in sync couple now it's hilarious that that's still how he views her at the end of the day and apparently nothing more. It's all about the fetishes with this cast at the end of the day.

This shows tendency towards tension breakers at the worst possible times is otherworldly. It just can't balance it's terrible sense of humor and attempts at serious melodrama at all.
PeacingOutDec 13, 2013 1:35 PM
Dec 13, 2013 1:50 PM

Apr 2013
I have to be honest, I started to get the feels.
I think it'll get too emotional next ep for me to handle.
Dec 13, 2013 4:52 PM

Oct 2012
The feels almost killed me.

I agree though, a perfect and unique ending would be Mirai dying and Akihito having to live and grow with it, despite lol love interests.

Sadly, the romantic in me wants it to be a perfect love story and stuff. That's probably the most liable ending, too. Oh well, we'll see.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

538 by __FK__ »»
Apr 23, 6:55 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.