Forum Settings
Forums

'Yu-Gi-Oh!' to Receive New TV Anime to Air Spring 2014

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 11, 2013 8:24 AM
Mar 2013
ReikiShutuagi said:
Better be better than Zexal.

inb4 zexal lovers
I've heard ton's of bad things about Zexal, but what's so bad about it exactly? And if it's that bad then which series is the best out of the franchise?
Dec 11, 2013 8:56 AM

Oct 2008
Character design doesn't look that bad, I guess (at least by YGO standards).
My favorite was GX (as weird as that sounds). I guess I should get to Zexal before watching this one. Hope Zexal isn't as bad as people say, cause YGO in general is still somewhat of a guilty pleasure for me for some reason..
Dec 11, 2013 8:57 AM

May 2012
Another one?! I thought Zexal would be the end of it o.o Though 5D's should really make the end of all Yugioh franchise, as the three series were awesome. But let's see how this one will go. I hate the fact that Zexal is a non-sequel and sets completely in a different world. But still, it's a good series (Japanese version of course). Just hope this one is a sequel instead of another non-sequel series...if it is not a sequel, it wouldn't be as enjoyable. Just another stand-alone series.
Dec 11, 2013 8:58 AM

Apr 2008
Good bc I'm really over Zexal and all of its characters.
Dec 11, 2013 8:59 AM

Jul 2013
emeraldrosary said:
ReikiShutuagi said:

inb4 zexal lovers
I've heard ton's of bad things about Zexal, but what's so bad about it exactly? And if it's that bad then which series is the best out of the franchise?

Definitely 5d's

Cardgames on Motorcycle
Dec 11, 2013 9:00 AM

Mar 2012
emeraldrosary said:
ReikiShutuagi said:

inb4 zexal lovers
Aside for immature body the character also immature in mentality. This is huge stepdown from 5D's that introduce the most mature cast from franchise.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Dec 11, 2013 9:16 AM

Nov 2008
I can't wait for the new cards but the anime not so much.

Dec 11, 2013 9:19 AM

May 2012
emeraldrosary said:
Zexal is indeed the worst of them all. But it still watchable...after tons of episodes later. Not only the art style is sort of different, but also it's not a canon series. It sets in another world. The main character (Yuma) and one of the supporting characters (called Tokunosuke) were so bad and made me hate them! But Yuma became much more developed later on and is now tolerable. The twist in the latest episodes were pretty good. Namely, two good characters became villains. I like this twist and in a way got me watching more of it. But overall, it's still the worst series as not all characters were favourable. Even some of the early villains were kinda bad.
5D's for me is the best one due to its dark atmosphere. The story is pretty dark. Despite the initial reaction of having duels on motorbikes (D-Wheels namely in Japanese version), the series and duels were exciting to watch. I like the final villain the most and I say he is one of the top villains in the whole Yugioh franchise. Try 5D's anyway, even though it only has 154 episodes, but also, the short 10th anniversary movie where Paradox was the enemy, was actually connected to the final arc of 5D's. Everything mostly makes sense in the end.
chaosflame5Dec 12, 2013 3:33 PM
Dec 11, 2013 9:24 AM
Mar 2013
@
ArufeimKirra
NeoAnkara
Blacklightcore
chaosflame5

Thank's everyone! It looks like 5D's is the next one I should watch. This is going to be interesting to watch. It's been several years since I last saw Yu-Gi-Oh duel monsters.
Dec 11, 2013 9:26 AM

May 2012
@emeraldrosary: No problem :) Just make sure to watch 5D's in Japanese version. 4Kids screwed up 5D's as usual and has far shorter amount of episodes which made people thought that Paradox was just a "filler" villain even though he is not -__- But do expect some thing like the original Yugioh series where the main character duels far more than anyone else.
Dec 11, 2013 9:29 AM

May 2009
MajinSaga said:
tsudecimo said:
I hated xyz monsters. They ruined the game for me and made me lose interest.

I hope whatever new concept they introduce is better.

Synchro > all

Lies. Truth is you failed to adapt and got your ass handed to you on duelingnetwork. Happens to all those traditionalist players who refuse to adapt. You'll be back eventually though.

I laughed, because that's probably true. Synchros are still in the meta right now so I'm not sure what the problem is :P. What we need is more good Rituals and Fusions....considering Gishkis and Gem-Knights are pretty mediocre...
Dec 11, 2013 9:33 AM

Mar 2012
chaosflame5 said:
emeraldrosary said:
Zexal is indeed the worst of them all. But it still watchable...after tons of episodes later. Not only the art style is sort of different, but also it's not a canon series. It sets in another world. The main character (Yuma) and one of the supoorting characters (called Tokunosuke) were so bad and made me hate them! But Yuma became much more developed later on and is now tolerable. The twist in the latest episodes were pretty good. Namely, two good characters became villains. I like this twist and in a way got me watching more of it. But overall, it's still the worst series as not all characters were favourable. Even some of the early villains were kinda bad.
5D's for me is the best one due to its dark atmosphere. The story is pretty dark. Despite the initial reaction of having duels on motorbikes (D-Wheels namely in Japanese version), the series and duels were exciting to watch. I like the final villain the most and I say he is one of the top villains in the whole Yugioh franchise. Try 5D's anyway, even though it only has 154 episodes, but also, the short 10th anniversary movie where Paradox was the enemy, was actually connected to the final arc of 5D's. Everything mostly makes sense in the end.
The duel with ZONE is the most epic duel in the franchise. 5D's also have many epic duel like Yusei & Kiryu vs Lotton in wild west style (not sure if many agree with me here) and Yusei vs Harald with three Norse God out.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Dec 11, 2013 9:35 AM
Mar 2013
NeoAnkara said:
The duel with ZONE is the most epic duel in the franchise. 5D's also have many epic duel like Yusei & Kiryu vs Lotton in wild west style (not sure if many agree with me here) and Yusei vs Harald with three Norse God out.
That sounds great. It's something to look forward to then :)
Dec 11, 2013 9:43 AM

May 2012
NeoAnkara said:
Yeah I'm so agreeing :D Yusei vs. ZONE was one of the best final boss duels I've ever seen! It really reminded me of how intense it was when Yugi faced Pegasus. Both were much intense compared to when Judai/Jaden faced Darkness and (possibly after the release of the episode....spoiler) Yuma faces Don Thousand. ZONE's Temporal Machine God cards (or Time Deities in some subs or Time Lords in English version) were so badass. But yeah, even though the Crash Town arc was a slight filler in a way, but that arc was nice with the western style of dueling, at least we knew what happened to Kiryu after the Dark Signers arc, which was the most dark and depressing arc of them all. I missed 5D's....
Dec 11, 2013 9:51 AM

Mar 2012
chaosflame5 said:
NeoAnkara said:
Yeah I'm so agreeing :D Yusei vs. ZONE was one of the best final boss duels I've ever seen! It really reminded me of how intense it was when Yugi faced Pegasus. Both were much intense compared to when Judai/Jaden faced Darkness and (possibly after the release of the episode....spoiler) Yuma faces Don Thousand. ZONE's Temporal Machine God cards (or Time Deities in some subs or Time Lords in English version) were so badass. But yeah, even though the Crash Town arc was a slight filler in a way, but that arc was nice with the western style of dueling, at least we knew what happened to Kiryu after the Dark Signers arc, which was the most dark and depressing arc of them all. I missed 5D's....
5D's also have the most emotional duel for me.
Dec 11, 2013 10:06 AM

May 2012
Blacklightcore said:
This is so true. Just watch littlekuriboh's abridged series for a nastily-hilarious comment on how 4Kids ruined the show :P
I never seen the abridged series yet. But someone did told me it's hilarious xD

NeoAnkara said:
5D's also have the most emotional duel for me.
Oh yeah, I remember that part ;___;
But Dark Signers arc sure is one of the best and darkest arcs I've ever seen, sure it can play with your emotions once you dwell into their pasts.
Dec 11, 2013 10:40 AM

Mar 2012
Oh yeah next season have Future Card Buddyfight and Z/X Ignition. I wonder how that two will competete with Arc-V.
Dec 11, 2013 11:12 AM

Jun 2008
For a split second I thought it was about the original.

UGH...

That was the only one worth watching.
Dec 11, 2013 11:18 AM

Mar 2013
I've always been meaning to watch Yu-Gi-Oh. Would I be able to watch this series without having seen any prior Yu-Gi-Oh series?

I've seen some of the dub when I was kid but only the episodes from the first series with an island tournament.
Dec 11, 2013 11:21 AM

Jul 2013
Kaiju said:
I've always been meaning to watch Yu-Gi-Oh. Would I be able to watch this series without having seen any prior Yu-Gi-Oh series?

I've seen some of the dub when I was kid but only the episodes from the first series with an island tournament.

Try watching it once again but w/ japanese dub. The english one's garbage coz it's 4Kids, you know.
Dec 11, 2013 11:22 AM

Mar 2012
Kaiju said:

Three Yu-Gi-Oh! series set in the same universe (DM, Gx, 5D's) while Zexal is in another universe. Generaly Yu-Gi-Oh! series is stand alone but there are occasionaly passing mention of pass series.
Dec 11, 2013 12:08 PM

May 2012
Kaiju said:

Yes. This one seems more likely to be another series that sets in another world just like Zexal. But the first three were connected:
Yugioh Duel Monsters (DM)
Yugioh Duel Monsters GX
and Yugioh 5D's
There was a season 0 (so-called anyway) which was made way before DM, it was connected to DM in some ways but not focusing too much on card games. It showed a more dark nature of the Dark Yugi. But it was great show still. So the order would be season 0, then DM, then GX, then 5D's. Zexal...you can watch it or don't bother, lol.
Dec 11, 2013 12:11 PM

Apr 2010
Thread cleaned

All single phrase comments that don't contribute to discussion and a few spam posts removed.
Please explain why or why not you like to see this anime.
Dec 11, 2013 12:51 PM

Nov 2013
I wonder when they would do interesting plot developments. Last series I found interesting was GX ;/
Dec 11, 2013 1:00 PM

Jun 2010
Too bad the art always sucks.
Dec 11, 2013 1:03 PM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
I am not surprised that there is going to be more of this. Back then I remember when they stated that 5D's would be the last YGO series but of course it changed later.

Judging by the artwork, it looks in the same style of GX and Zexal. Too bad that we don't get something like the first series or 5D's again. And at least most of 5D's characters were in their late teens.
Dec 11, 2013 1:15 PM

Apr 2010
I hope the protagonist isn't a snot-nosed brat again.

I've only finished the first series thus far. I can't keep up any way. lol
Dec 11, 2013 2:20 PM
Aug 2011
yeaaa finaly about time zexal end
i loved all the series but zexal.... no i realy hate yuma
i hope this new season will be more like 5d's
Dec 11, 2013 2:39 PM

Sep 2011
Wow, I didn't even know ZeXsuck was over. Hopefully we get a better protagonist time.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Dec 11, 2013 3:23 PM

Apr 2007
Chinensis said:
Back then I remember when they stated that 5D's would be the last YGO series but of course it changed later.
If Zexal is indeed in a seperate universe maybe they meant 5ds was to be the last in the continuing timeline? I know next to nothing about 5ds (plan to start it this weekend), but considering the technology keeps advancing in each series I was sure they happened one after the other, even with the latest series. Not that I research beyond watching episodes.
Dec 11, 2013 3:29 PM

Jan 2013
yugioh! wow I don't care! I barely give enough fucks to comment!
Dec 11, 2013 3:36 PM

Nov 2010
TheNaturalPerm said:
yugioh! wow I don't care! I barely give enough fucks to comment!
But you do give at least one fuck.

OT: Mehhhhhhhhhhh, I'm thinking I might skip Zexal and move onto this one if it's any good. I don't have any faith though. First half of the first one was best, then 5Ds, then GX. What I would give as one that's similar to the first in quality.
Dec 11, 2013 3:55 PM

May 2013
New Yu-Gi-Oh series already. Better catch up watching the Zexal series.
Dec 11, 2013 4:12 PM

Mar 2012
From the scan MC look like he is using spellcaster deck.
Dec 11, 2013 4:17 PM

Nov 2013
Watch it or don't watch it... Man I'm already tired, the series are not getting any better, so I think this would be a no for me. On the other hand I can't judge it if I don't watch it...
Dec 11, 2013 4:32 PM

Sep 2011
Monochrome said:
Chinensis said:
Back then I remember when they stated that 5D's would be the last YGO series but of course it changed later.
If Zexal is indeed in a seperate universe maybe they meant 5ds was to be the last in the continuing timeline? I know next to nothing about 5ds (plan to start it this weekend), but considering the technology keeps advancing in each series I was sure they happened one after the other, even with the latest series. Not that I research beyond watching episodes.

It is an excellent series early on, but midway falls... Anyhow, you'll be fine to start on it, it's enjoyable.
Dec 11, 2013 4:38 PM

Mar 2012
GodlyKyon said:
Monochrome said:
Chinensis said:

It is an excellent series early on, but midway falls... Anyhow, you'll be fine to start on it, it's enjoyable.
Dark Signer Arc is the best arc in 5D's and even if the arc after that cannot achive the same feat as that it is still enjoyable.
Dec 11, 2013 5:04 PM

Sep 2011
emeraldrosary said:
ReikiShutuagi said:

inb4 zexal lovers

It's just a letdown. Or rather, a decline. 5D's is IMO, the best Arc in the first season of the series. However, overall DM is still supreme

if you want me to get to the details I am going to have to make a LONG post.

NeoAnkara said:
GodlyKyon said:
Monochrome said:
Chinensis said:

Dark Signer Arc is the best arc in 5D's and even if the arc after that cannot achive the same feat as that it is still enjoyable.

Well, yeah. It was an amazing followup to the first season with it's excellent duels, characterization, as well suspense of disbelief. I agree. I think 5D's should've take a break of a year or 2 and started a season 2...

IT also kind of fell into a slump in the Crahstown arc as well as the WRGP arc, but the lead up to Z-ONE was oh so good. I will probably never forget Z-ONE
GodlyKyonDec 11, 2013 5:12 PM
Dec 11, 2013 5:11 PM
Mar 2013
GodlyKyon said:
emeraldrosary said:
ReikiShutuagi said:

inb4 zexal lovers

It's just a letdown. Or rather, a decline. 5D's is IMO, the best Arc in the first season of the series. However, overall DM is still supreme

Thanks for the head's up! And you don't need to write a long post. That's quite alright GK ^^

I've decided to watch 5Ds for now. I might still give Zexal a try on the slim chance I may like it, but that's not for a long time to come.
Dec 11, 2013 5:31 PM

May 2008
Other than watching most of the original Yu-Gi-Oh series featuring the actual character namesake of the series, and some of DX, I've pretty much ignored the animes since. The card game itself is suffering due to poor playing mechanics; go in a card store, the only tcg they still actively sell singles of is MTG, with many having no Yu-Gi-Oh singles left, or are trying to get rid of them. No wonder why lately they've been re-releasing older series' cards. 5D's was a joke with the racing aspect, and Zexal didn't even look like Yu-Gi-Oh anymore.

Looking at the promotional art for the new series, as well as the character name (Yūya Sakaki), if I had to guess the main character is a female. Because of that, as well as it not displaying an alien-like creature alongside the main character, I may try watching it.

Promotional art:
(Almost) 13 years on MAL!
()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Dec 11, 2013 6:24 PM

Sep 2011
mangastar said:
Other than watching most of the original Yu-Gi-Oh series featuring the actual character namesake of the series, and some of DX, I've pretty much ignored the animes since. The card game itself is suffering due to poor playing mechanics; go in a card store, the only tcg they still actively sell singles of is MTG, with many having no Yu-Gi-Oh singles left, or are trying to get rid of them. No wonder why lately they've been re-releasing older series' cards. 5D's was a joke with the racing aspect, and Zexal didn't even look like Yu-Gi-Oh anymore.

Looking at the promotional art for the new series, as well as the character name (Yūya Sakaki), if I had to guess the main character is a female. Because of that, as well as it not displaying an alien-like creature alongside the main character, I may try watching it.

Promotional art:

you're kidding? the last time I checked it it still the world's biggest TCG, and sales have been going better than ever.

emeraldrosary said:
GodlyKyon said:
emeraldrosary said:
ReikiShutuagi said:

inb4 zexal lovers

Thanks for the head's up! And you don't need to write a long post. That's quite alright GK ^^

I've decided to watch 5Ds for now. I might still give Zexal a try on the slim chance I may like it, but that's not for a long time to come.

Let me just offer my analysis anyhow.
It may not be inherent that ZeXal was "bad", but after YGO 5D's, a series widely perceived(at least by major forums) as well done, and during it's air the anime forums for YGO had the highest attendance, was over, ZeXal had a huge expectation to fill. So while ZeXal is not necessarily a bad YGO series, it was placed in an event where people were satisfied by the previous series.

secondly, while the animation and sound definitely felt better, it's story line stood in a stark contrast against the far more mature atmosphere of 5D's. The character designs were far better in ZeXal, this is just my opinion, but I'm sure some conclusion similar will be reached after looking at ZeXal's(albeit childish) art style and designs.

However, the story line... failed to deliver. While the suspension for disbelief was so well done that by the end of season 1, the whole notion of "card games on motorcycle" would cease to be something silly. ZeXal's, did not achieve the same level of maturity. The story line features the pursuit of 99 "Numbers" cards, the character had to frequently duel other character in order to gain more numbers. For most of season 1 it was much like CSI or NCIS, an episodic "card of the week" style of a show surfaced. While 5D's had a coherent storyline that made sense with each duel, Yusei gets to his next obstacle, each duel felt meaningful.

But the biggest reason was probably the protagonist and their development(or lack of). Allow me to be clear, Yusei does not necessarily change more compared to Yuma. However, Yuma, while depicted as a newcomer to the game, even after beating numerous powerful foes, does not excel and his character does not gain more recognition. Yusei, while not necessarily changing, definite made the duels more exciting to watch. Another part of ZeXal's duels was that it was so... Predictable. I'm not joking when I say the "oh no! I only have 100 LP left! I guess I have to win next turn!" device has been used at least 5/7 duels in season 2. Part of that, when combined with the lack of character progression in maturity, destroys the tension. And when taking in consideration of the fact that Yuma pretty much HAS to win his duels(spoiler so I won't mention it), it kind of reduces all the tension given to it.

5D's started off strong while ZeXal started off weak. 5D's season 2 was able to carry off that momentum of strong suspension and charaterization while ZeXals pretty much remained limbo, taht is the way I look at both of the seasons.
GodlyKyonDec 11, 2013 7:59 PM
Dec 11, 2013 9:03 PM
Dec 2013
To be honest I would love to see a series connected with the first one, no xyz or synchros would also be awesome. XYZ just kills the show in my opinion.
Dec 11, 2013 9:07 PM

Mar 2012
Shinatosark said:
To be honest I would love to see a series connected with the first one, no xyz or synchros would also be awesome. XYZ just kills the show in my opinion.
What's wrong with synchro?
Dec 11, 2013 9:09 PM
Jul 2018
Hm, the series went downhill ever since the original ended. Hopefully this will be better than Zexal though
Dec 11, 2013 9:12 PM
Mar 2013
GodlyKyon said:

To be honest I'm having a hard time adjusting to the motorcycles. Coming straight out of Duel monsters it seems like a bit of a stretch. By what episode did were you finally able to get comfortable with the motorcycle aspect of the anime?
Dec 11, 2013 9:15 PM

Nov 2010
How about they give them cool monsters for once. I could watch it just for that. They're always puff balls and stuff like that.
Dec 11, 2013 9:15 PM

Mar 2012
emeraldrosary said:
GodlyKyon said:

To be honest I'm having a hard time adjusting to the motorcycles. Coming straight out of Duel monsters it seems like a bit of a stretch. By what episode did were you finally able to get comfortable with the motorcycle aspect of the anime?
When Fortune Cup start it will be more comfortable. There are also ground duel too in Fortune Cup since not all duelist is a riders.
Dec 11, 2013 9:21 PM

Jan 2012
No flipping way
Well I hope it's better than Zexal...and that it doesn't introduc e any new card mecanic
edit:judging from the art is does look better :)
Dec 11, 2013 9:28 PM

Aug 2010
Huh. I'll watch. I hope its better than the very meh Zexal.

I still hope they animate Yu-Gi-Oh! R one day.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Dec 11, 2013 9:51 PM

Nov 2008
renders said:
No flipping way
Well I hope it's better than Zexal...and that it doesn't introduc e any new card mecanic
edit:judging from the art is does look better :)

I'd count on a new summoning mechanic unless the creators have ran out of ideas.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

1 by ZXEAN »»
36 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

97 by Nanaca »»
38 minutes ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

22 by Piromysl »»
1 hour ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.