Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 10, 2013 9:23 PM
Jun 2009
PixieSocks said:
I don't really post on the forums much, especially as I'm an anime-only viewer, but am I wrong in thinking that surely there should have been some action taken towards investigating Ymir? There's obviously info written about her in the notebook, so I'm confused why they didn't address that (Ymir isn't a particularly common name, I'm guessing) ... I haven't read the manga so no spoilers please, but is this just a massive plothole or is there a reason why they haven't addressed it yet?

I was wondering the exact same thing!
Maybe the name was not written in the notebook and somehow we still hear it in the flashback... though that would be the first time we, the viewers, have more information...
Maybe they did not look much into it because at the time they did not expect to be fighting against humans? Either way, if Erwin heard that, I'm SUPER disappointed in him.

Do we also get her name in the manga?
It took me almost all of season 1 to believe she was a traitor, but this gives it away so easily...
geearfDec 10, 2013 9:27 PM
Dec 10, 2013 9:36 PM

Jul 2011
When did this ova take place btw? o.o
Dec 10, 2013 9:52 PM

Aug 2012
GC9000 said:
When did this ova take place btw? o.o

This ova is "episode 3.5"
Dec 10, 2013 10:45 PM
Jul 2012
I really enjoyed the OVA. Hanji is one crazy woman and it was nice to see Levi's squad back in the day. Pretty vivid scenes with Ilse's corpse being left in the tree to be worshiped and the titan tearing its own face. I guess the freckles made the titan mistake her for Ymir. Ilse was pretty dedicated to writing in the journal, kept writing while their head was between the titan's teeth.
My anime blog
Ganebare Anime
Dec 10, 2013 11:06 PM

Nov 2012
Now that Ilse Langer's story has been show, with "Ymir-sama",
this is a good pre-season-2 episode IMO :D
Dec 10, 2013 11:12 PM
Dec 2013
Does anyone know the OST/song before the ending starts?
Dec 10, 2013 11:39 PM

Oct 2012
Ilse's action was stupid, agitating the titan. there was no real need to shout in the end when the Titan obviously look mentally unstable. Guess the producer just want Ilse dead.
Dec 10, 2013 11:51 PM

Aug 2013
Wow! an interesting info about titans...

Dat ED, damn that's sooo good! It made me reminisce of what happened in the series...
Dec 11, 2013 12:07 AM

May 2013
Damn she kept writing and writing at the last second. Interesting that the titan actually spoke.
Dec 11, 2013 12:44 AM

Sep 2011
sim0n2170 said:
Does anyone know the song/OST right before the ending starts

If you are talking about the one that plays when Hanji shouts "Yahoo"

It's from OST 1 Track no.15 Call Your Name

The version you hear in this OAD, is without the lyrics.
Dec 11, 2013 12:48 AM

Aug 2012
dreadknightnero said:
sim0n2170 said:
Does anyone know the song/OST right before the ending starts

If you are talking about the one that plays when Hanji shouts "Yahoo"

It's from OST 1 Track no.15 Call Your Name

The version you hear in this OAD, is without the lyrics.

Awesome thanks
Dec 11, 2013 12:53 AM

Jul 2012
This was a really interesting episode. I'm surprised Oluo's tongue hasn't fallen off yet after biting it so many times! Lmao
Dec 11, 2013 1:54 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I have to ask; who the hell can write coherently (not to mention at lightning speed) when they have their head jammed between the teeth of a titan and is a second away from instant death? o.o
Dec 11, 2013 3:29 AM

Dec 2013
Good OVA. I have some questions,tho. Why didn't they confront Ymir if they already knew that the abnormal titan said her name and seemed to know her? She's already part of the scouting legion so i think they all know her name o.O
How many expeditions do they go on per year? Ilse was part of the 34th expedition ( i think ) and in this OVA it was the 49th ( not sure ) and the gap between them is one year.
Dec 11, 2013 3:55 AM

Jul 2012
That was really nicely adapted. The foreshadowing is ooooooh mate.

Plus I believe the Titan was struggling not to eat Ilse to show respect for 'Ymir-sama' (cough, cough).

Great, I loved seeing SnK again.
So, What do you think is on the other side?
Dec 11, 2013 4:04 AM

Apr 2012
my favorite part was when Ilse was getting eaten and she's still writing in her diary.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Dec 11, 2013 4:44 AM

May 2013
Hanji is such a badass girl with a flat chest .
Dec 11, 2013 6:22 AM

Apr 2013
great episode
Dec 11, 2013 6:50 AM

Apr 2010
randomlock said:
Hanji is such a badass girl with a flat chest .

Flat
is
justice
Dec 11, 2013 7:46 AM

Dec 2012
YuushaEmilia90 said:
Good OVA. I have some questions,tho. Why didn't they confront Ymir if they already knew that the abnormal titan said her name and seemed to know her? She's already part of the scouting legion so i think they all know her name o.O
How many expeditions do they go on per year? Ilse was part of the 34th expedition ( i think ) and in this OVA it was the 49th ( not sure ) and the gap between them is one year.

I don't think that expeditions were meant to be regular. During that time, their objective was mainly to resupply a route back to Wall Maria, which would generally depend on two things - weather conditions and staff availability. Imagine leading a convoy during winters or in storms with titans jumping around you. Also, the route doesn't necessary mean a straight line from Trost to Shiganshina - I think they move around, finding forests and abandoned villages, where the military could better use the 3DMG during attacks. The other special chapter is about clearing up such village in the south.

Ilse's expedition took place shortly after the time the kids began their training. The various corps and their HQ locations are different, though, so it is very unlikely their paths to cross so early. "Communication" b/w humans and titans wasn't taught as possible to the trainees as well.

zellamiDec 11, 2013 7:53 AM
Dec 11, 2013 8:33 AM

Jul 2012
Solid OVA. No complaints. 8/10

Needalist said:
Ilse's action was stupid, agitating the titan. there was no real need to shout in the end when the Titan obviously look mentally unstable. Guess the producer just want Ilse dead.

Keep in mind that she was mentally unstable as well, after lurking through the dark forests for a few days trying to survive...
Dec 11, 2013 8:54 AM

May 2012
02:01 dat kyojin otaku

04:10 sthu, tomboy

04:56 Petorachan!!! <3

7/10 for this OAD.

This OAD's bundled with the vol.12 of the manga.
rodacDec 26, 2013 7:53 PM
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Dec 11, 2013 9:14 AM

Jun 2011
Unchou said:
Plus I believe the Titan was struggling not to eat Ilse to show respect for 'Ymir-sama' (cough, cough).

Nah... From what I understood this titan just mistook Isle for Ymir. Look, they're quite similar. You know: female, freckles, dark hair and brownish skin tone...
Or am I not right? :o
Dec 11, 2013 11:08 AM

Apr 2010
YuushaEmilia90 said:

Yeah, i thought that too
Dec 11, 2013 11:17 AM

Aug 2008
I'm so thankful for Hanji's existence. Bit heartbreakin' seeing Petra and co again though. Nice lil episode, did like this chapter.
Dec 11, 2013 12:54 PM

Dec 2013
zellami said:
YuushaEmilia90 said:

I don't think that expeditions were meant to be regular. During that time, their objective was mainly to resupply a route back to Wall Maria, which would generally depend on two things - weather conditions and staff availability. Imagine leading a convoy during winters or in storms with titans jumping around you. Also, the route doesn't necessary mean a straight line from Trost to Shiganshina - I think they move around, finding forests and abandoned villages, where the military could better use the 3DMG during attacks. The other special chapter is about clearing up such village in the south.

Ilse's expedition took place shortly after the time the kids began their training. The various corps and their HQ locations are different, though, so it is very unlikely their paths to cross so early. "Communication" b/w humans and titans wasn't taught as possible to the trainees as well.

It all makes sense now! thank you so much for answering :D!!
Dec 11, 2013 2:50 PM

Apr 2012
Ymir has a lot of explaining to do...
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Dec 11, 2013 6:26 PM

Jan 2013
It was amazing. It was nice to get to see the characters again. That was some abnormal titan.
Dec 11, 2013 7:16 PM

Sep 2011
Janethan23 said:
Ymir has a lot of explaining to do...

pretty much
Dec 11, 2013 9:58 PM

Sep 2013
Great OVA! can't wait for the second season ^_^.
Dec 11, 2013 10:17 PM
Nov 2013
It was so fucking intense when the Titan started ripping its face off and Ilse started yelling at him. Sent shivers down my spine.

Hanji was always one of my favorite characters in SNK, but my respect for her went up x1000.

God, I hope this show gets a sequel soon.
Dec 11, 2013 10:23 PM
Dec 11, 2013 11:21 PM

Mar 2013
great OVA
Hanji Badass mode XD
"Ymir-sama" ... can't wait for the second season ^^
Dec 11, 2013 11:25 PM

May 2013
Pretty good overall, so I'd give a 7 at least.

If only the series had this level of quality.
Dec 11, 2013 11:56 PM

Apr 2012
A lot of people including myself are waiting for the second season with anticipation. Now that there's some sort of connection between Ymir and the Titans I can't look at her the same way I had during the 1st season. In a way; she's drawn a lot of attention even though she had no screen time.

Or maybe

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this. The talking Titan could've been referring to an actual deity named Ymir and the Ymir we all know just happens to share the same name.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.

To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Dec 12, 2013 1:43 AM
Jul 2018

This is far better than the manga~! Glad to see Levi's Squad again and Auruo being the comic relief the whole time. Hanji was pretty strong that she was able to lift Auruo. I like how they added scenes to enhanced the OVA. When the titan started ripping his face it crept me for a while. Erwin's, Mike's and Hanji's faces in the beginning are epic, ready to hunt some Titans. Another thing, I missed the OP so much.
Dec 12, 2013 1:59 AM

Jun 2008
Oh wow....i just watched this in sub and i was just amazed at the quality o.0 The execution was perfect! Love the building up of suspense and the use of music in the background! Needless to say the animation was great here. The extension that they have added to the story was great and made it very interesting. For an OVA, i thought it was great! :3 I thought i wouldn't be intrigued by this episode since i already read the manga so Kudos to the studio! I was actually creeped out by the titan when he ate Ilse even though most of the times titans don't scare me in the anime. I'm very glad that the studio decided to animate this chapter since it's such an important piece of information >.<
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 12, 2013 3:25 AM
Jun 2009
Janethan23 said:
A lot of people including myself are waiting for the second season with anticipation. Now that there's some sort of connection between Ymir and the Titans I can't look at her the same way I had during the 1st season. In a way; she's drawn a lot of attention even though she had no screen time.

Or maybe

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this. The talking Titan could've been referring to an actual deity named Ymir and the Ymir we all know just happens to share the same name.

We know she's in it since Ep22 so nothing new for the anime viewers.
It must have been a shock for the manga readers at the time since they saw that story a lot earlier than we did.

Look again at the anime, you'll see that when they come back in town you have 2 fairly different kind of facial expressions.
The "nice" ones, are sad, destroyed, crying, angry etc...

Then there are others, whom don't look downwards, dont have any trace of tear, etc... but they look away, because they know the pain they've caused, even if to them it was all for a good reason. If you think I'm reading too far, the other one that we know is in it, is acting exactly like that...

Cheers
Dec 12, 2013 8:34 AM

Aug 2013
I thought this side-story in the manga was a bit of a downer, although very intriguing. But the anime expanded the story into a neat episode that I really enjoyed. Hanji was very active in this episode, which made sense, and the exploration in the action of this Titan was a nice touch. It was also nice to see the Special Operations Squad again one last time.
I always liked how Ilse kept writing until the end.
Overall, great OVA.

FrozenRemains said:
Can somebody please explain this to me,HOW THE FUCK did Hanji lift Oluo?
Is she superwoman?

She is strong physically, yes. Oh and if you wait until a little later...
DragonCactusDec 12, 2013 8:37 AM
"Your argument is like a naked banana--it simply lacks appeal."
Dec 12, 2013 11:00 AM
Dec 2013
Hey guys, am I the only one who got super excited WHILE watching it and realised that this OVA was about chapter 18.5 and Ilse's???
Dec 12, 2013 12:04 PM

Apr 2011
Fucking loved it! The OVA gave some pretty major hints into the secrets of the Titans, which tie in nicely with what we now know about Eren and Annie and their ability to transform into Titans. I wonder if the Titan tearing at its face was in the description she was writing, since it wasn't in the narration? I do love the thought of a member of the Survey Corps desperately writing down every detail she could think of about her encounter, in desperate hope that something would be useful, up to and including the Titan's breath, until CRUNCH.
Dec 12, 2013 3:30 PM

May 2012
A pretty decent side story I must say, and well I do wonder if they'll make a second season after all... time will tell I guess!
Dec 12, 2013 6:02 PM

Jul 2013
R- said:
so nice to see new animated stuff again

+1, great OVA, I was excited when it was released, reminds me of waiting for Saturdays for an episode of Shingeki no Kyojin, aaah feels like long time ago!
Dec 12, 2013 9:02 PM

Aug 2008
The OP gave me such nostalgic feelings haha.

I'm really surprised how WELL they made this chapter into its wonderful animated version. Watching this gave me chills. Seeing Aururo and Petra again made me so sad......my baby Petra :(

I'm so excited for season 2 because....

Janethan23 said:

Or maybe

Read. The. Manga. I couldn't bear waiting every Saturday for episodes so I just sat one late night and read it all in one sitting.
Dec 12, 2013 10:29 PM

Jan 2013
This is canon right? Did Hajime Isayama wrote this?
Dec 12, 2013 10:33 PM

Nov 2010
ibrahim2712 said:
Yes, it's chapter 16.5 or 18.5, one of those.
Dec 12, 2013 10:34 PM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
ibrahim2712 said:

Yea i just skimmed through the manga version the OVA added a scenes with Levi and them though
Dec 12, 2013 10:36 PM

Nov 2010
ibrahim2712 said:
IntroverTurtle said:
ibrahim2712 said:

Yea i just skimmed through the manga version the OVA added a scenes with Levi and them though
Yes, it's still canon though.
Dec 13, 2013 12:10 AM

May 2013
IF only i was sure that Hanji is a girl , she would be my fav character from AOT /

No lipstick + flat chest = epic fail
Dec 13, 2013 4:39 AM

Apr 2012
randomlock said:
IF only i was sure that Hanji is a girl , she would be my fav character from AOT /

No lipstick + flat chest = epic fail

Do you think scientist/nerds like Hanji are more concerned with appearance? I've seen some ugly unkempt nerds that if they only put on makeup and wore stuff relative to women they'd be hot.

Kallen_R2 said:
Read. The. Manga. I couldn't bear waiting every Saturday for episodes so I just sat one late night and read it all in one sitting.

Sorry I don't read manga unless the anime is no longer in production. I prefer watching it as it unfolds on the screen so my mind is blown exponentially by the anime's epic animation, voice acting and music. My personal preference.
Janethan23Dec 13, 2013 4:49 AM

Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin OVA Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

keragamming - Aug 8, 2014

143 by Apreggi »»
Feb 24, 6:11 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin OVA Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2014

272 by Apreggi »»
Feb 21, 1:10 AM

» Eren is an immature dick

Kokko - Aug 20, 2014

14 by _spoon_ »»
Nov 12, 2021 10:42 PM

» Episode 5

StormBoi - Apr 11, 2015

2 by SpeedRoidGenm »»
Oct 28, 2018 1:11 PM

» has anyone seen: Chibi Theater: Fly, Cadets, Fly!

dinka- - Apr 6, 2018

2 by dinka- »»
Apr 7, 2018 8:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.