Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Dec 10, 2013 7:02 AM

Aug 2012
Why can't I hold all these feels. Someone please tell me Takao comes back.
Dec 10, 2013 8:00 AM

Apr 2013
Takao T_T
A very emotional episode. Kongou was locked down by 400 & 402. Damn now I really wanna know who is behind this "Admiralty code".
Dec 10, 2013 8:15 AM

Aug 2008
fuck this. FUUUCKKK THISSSSSSSSSSSSS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This new ship is gonna wreck all the shit up.
Dec 10, 2013 8:29 AM

Jun 2013
In my opinion one of the best episodes in this season, I seriously can't believe how this anime could turn into something like this, especially after they obviously changed the story compared to the source material.

Ending song was just... wow. No words left.
Dec 10, 2013 8:31 AM

Dec 2010
In case no one posted it, the insert song is by nano and is called "Silver Sky".

Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVQQrIclajk
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/search?q=silver%20sky%20nano

Edit: I see lanfire also posted this on page 4
Mystic_TwilightDec 10, 2013 8:45 AM
Dec 10, 2013 8:34 AM

Jun 2013
Mystic_Twilight said:
In case no one posted it, the OST song is by nano and is called "Silver Sky". Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVQQrIclajk

I was just about to ask, THANK YOU! <3
Dec 10, 2013 8:57 AM
Jan 2013
Mystic_Twilight said:
In case no one posted it, the insert song is by nano and is called "Silver Sky".

You sir win this thread. Thanks a lot :D
Dec 10, 2013 9:23 AM
Oct 2012
cloudeki said:
In my opinion one of the best episodes in this season, I seriously can't believe how this anime could turn into something like this, especially after they obviously changed the story compared to the source material.

Adaption is an art form as well, and often it is more difficult than working from original script. Adaption has so many competing interests: producers, advertiser team, the creator and publisher, not to mention the various production team members as well as the original fans and the need to tell a story to first time viewers, that it isn't surprising that so many fail. It also requires the director and script writer to be in sync with the spirit of the original, and given the egos generally involved (you don't rise to this level without having an ego), this is no easy task.

In this case, all these interests worked together. I am sure that the producers wanted the fanservice, but rather than invent it, the script writer took scenes from the manga (while the beach scene was original content, they did have Takao and Iona in swim suits, so the scene at least had manga sourcing) and spun it into the story they wanted to tell. Rather than making the mistake (and using the excuse) of sticking to the "original story" (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei has a great chapter on that error), the production team accepted the fact that there was no way to tell the main manga story in 12 episodes, so they went their own route.

This was beyond brave, they risked alienating the main guaranteed audience for this show, but it was the right choice. Many adaptions are lazy and stick too close to the source (SAO is a good example), the problem being that it relies on people having read the original material in order to understand what is going on (SAO also had the fault of pandering with fanservice too much at the expense of the humor in the books), or they create some sort of Frankenstein monster where they take bits and pieces of the plot (since no adaption can capture everything in a book), few of which fit together very well.

This show has been the exact opposite. Freeing themselves from the shackles of the official plot, the writer and director could take the parts they wanted from the original that built towards the ending they wanted to show, supplementing this with original material (I haven't read all the books, but I do think Maya in the manga is an actual ship) when needed.

This show has become an example of how to do an adaptation when you don't have the resources to do a proper adaptation. This show had 12 episodes to tell a story, with no real hope for a second season, I respect the fact that they decided to tell a complete story with those 12 episodes rather than try to shoehorn the manga and leave the show hanging at the end.
Dec 10, 2013 9:46 AM

Jun 2009
LonerPrime said:
il-Palazzo said:

Unrelated note - "Maya" in Sanskrit means "Illusion".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_%28illusion%29

Good catch dude. Given that I am from India, felt pretty much "duh" after I saw your comment since I totally spaced on that one. Though in my defense, I would admit I was reading about this instead which had my attention deviated:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_cruiser_Maya

She was as real a ship in this world as she is an illusion in the anime. Props to the anime story writers who very smartly fused both this particular ship with the unexpected twisted fate of being just an illusion and sharing a name that mirrors that dark irony. For a second I couldn't help but feel like laughing at Kongou for the shocking reward she was finally reaping by being a blind fangirl of the FOG. I mean the one true friend she thought she had was nothing more than a pre-programmed doll. But then eventually my good guy nature started surfacing and I felt even sadder than when Takao sacrificed herself. God damn I hope Kongou goes berserk and nails those twins to a cliff by teaming up with Iona.

Still doesn't make it easy to deal with the fact that Maya was nothing more than an empty husk for all that hyperactive girl she was. I should have packed heavy for this unexpected FEELS trip they pulled me into with this episode. A lot of hearts were broken... mine being one of them :(

Couldn't agree more. What a tearjerker. Just sheer brilliance. 10/10

Dec 10, 2013 10:02 AM

Jul 2010
NOOOO TAKAOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOO!
Please, best girl can't die like that, she hasn't said anything to Gonzou yet.

cloudeki said:
Mystic_Twilight said:
In case no one posted it, the OST song is by nano and is called "Silver Sky". Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVQQrIclajk

I was just about to ask, THANK YOU! <3

Thank you, I was searching for this.

Btw, Kongou scored some points for me in this episode.
Dec 10, 2013 10:39 AM

Aug 2013
I can not believe Takao disappeared
my favorite in the series
aff, I hope she come back forward
more tense episode so far

where are the openings and closings?
Dec 10, 2013 10:43 AM

Oct 2009
Takao 。・゜・(ノД`)・゜・。
Also I finally understand the lyrics of Silver Sky and they're beautiful. ;~;
Dec 10, 2013 10:46 AM

Jan 2013
Whoa, just... Whoa! This episode was so awesome, I don't even know what to say!

Emotions on 120% for both Iona and Takao while Hyuuga is trying to stay strong. This amount of self-sacrifice is just... OMG!

While on the other side of the battlefield, there's unexpected backstabbing. Never expected those twins to turn out to be so evil. Kongou has been made a fool of. That last scene was just amazing.

However, Kongou is now confirmed to have human emotions. Foolish fog, for screwing with her so hard. Kongou now has 2 whole episodes to turn her rage into destruction and avenge herself for this humiliation.

It's a bit sad though that Maya isn't real...
Dec 10, 2013 11:31 AM

Aug 2008
What do you guys find more sad: the fact that Takao sacrificed herself, or when she said that there was no place for her?

Definitely the latter for me...cos yeah, Takao's mental model may be gone, but maybe her core is still intact! There's still hope!
Dec 10, 2013 11:53 AM

Aug 2012
Takuan_Soho said:

Absolutely 100% agree. More adaptations into other mediums need to have the balls to create something new from something that already exists in a way that neither forgets the fans of the original nor forces an incomplete and quite possibly foreign/obscure product on new viewers. This logic applies not only to different mediums, but also to different languages and cultures (e.g. subtitles and foreign audio voiceovers [dubs]).

This series deserves some sort of recognition for its ability to successfully to create a new story that can capture the interest of its viewers without dissing the original. Sure, there will be purists that always rag on the tiniest and most trivial of changes, but for viewers like me who just want to see a complete standalone product in its own medium, I prefer the risk of failure over the safety of "lazy copy" adaptations that almost surely give me an incomplete experience where, all too often, people are gonna tell me to "lol go read the LN/VN/Manga/etc." whenever I have a question.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Dec 10, 2013 12:13 PM
Jan 2011
Looks like Kongou and the two other 401 aren't seeing eye to eye. Good thing they detain her, and it also looks like that the new enemy of Iona would now be her sisters.

Takao seems to be very concern about Gonzou, I guess that's it for her as well, since she gave all her nanomaterials to Iona.
Dec 10, 2013 1:22 PM

Feb 2008
The self-sacrifice and BGM...
Dec 10, 2013 1:35 PM
Feb 2013
Skullcrusher said:
gamer2710 said:
xchee said:
dimasmozart said:
is it right place to ask " what chapter of manga in this episode ?"
cant wait for the next episode

The anime stopped following the manga at episode 7 I believe. Beyond that, it's completely anime-original.
If that's really the case, then I like the way this season is handling original content that deviates from the source material. Whatever they're doing is working great. I hope other anime creators learn from this and can keep this up.

I agree.

The anime now is almost totally unrelated to the manga but I don't care, I think that this is one of the rare cases when original contents are well developed.
For me the anime is an "alternative story", I don't care if it's all original, it's interesting and awesome, I wish more anime with "original contents" was like this.

Hmm...well...depends. The manga is great, so I do care a bit. Let's face it: there have been scenes and episodes that were inferior to that of the manga (aka: less good, thus). They made some deviations that didn't make much sense, and even introduced some contradictions, which lessened the coherence of the world that was portrayed. In the past, some scenes were a bit better, but a lot were worse; mostly the filler or deviations were not a real improvement, which why I wasn't too fond of them as of yet.

But one has not to be fanatic about it. I've been plentiful critical in earlier episode(s), where, as said, they screwed up a bit and made the world less coherent by it, but...well, one has to give credit where credit is due too. This particular episode, while completely deviating from the original story was...actually pretty damn good. Yes, they went for the feels, but it was well done, and more impacting then I would have imagined. The dying of the captain and 401's reaction was pretty good, but also the reaction of Kongou and what happened to her, was a great find. Imagine it: she wants to punish others because they are disobeying the Admiralty Code, but by being obsessed by it she actually IS disobeying the Code herself. For her logical mind and her mental persona, this must mean great turmoil and internal conflict. She clearly doesn't side with 401, yet she's going against the Fog, which she wants to protect. One can ask: is this her treason, or that of the Fog? On top of that, her only loyal friend turns out to be a puppet and spy, without any real attachment to her. She lost her last anchor for mental stability by this, I think. (I don't think it was actually smart of 400 and 402 - and the one behind them - to do so, but maybe they're only thinking in strict logical terms).

No, I have to admit: this episode, while deviating tremendously, was very well done, for original content. And it didn't introduce discrepancies (as of yet, anyway; I wonder how they will go into the future, though). With such a drastic deviation where the original isn't recognisable anymore, they'll have to go for a totally new original ending too.

I don't mind deviation and filler IF IT'S WELL DONE and integrates in the story. Most deviations and filler don't, however, or only partially succeed. But since this was pretty well done for what it tried to achieve, I have no complaints, this time.
Dec 10, 2013 1:38 PM
Apr 2013
nice ep... i really hope that they merged.

if you watch the old into's I-40x is listed as dual core all others single core.
it would fit nicely:
haru couldnt take in kirishima because singlecore slots..
takao could merge and take one slot in ijona's dualcore makeing gunzou her captain (what she wanted)
both are with gunzou and hyuga would go balistic:D
Dec 10, 2013 1:39 PM
Jan 2013
Well one thing is for sure. The bar of expectations have been set quite high for this anime now especially after this episode. Given the fact that they deviated quite heavily from the manga, many fans are now gonna expect a "wow" fresh ending.

The makers made it no secret that they aren't scared of experimenting with sadness and tragedy so I am both anticipating and dreading the next two episodes... I was pretty happy the series did not end up evolving into a harem cliche which the Japanese are pretty expert at making given such scenarios but the whole suspense of "what's in store for us next" is killin' me :S
Dec 10, 2013 1:46 PM

Jan 2009
Mystic_Twilight said:

Just wanted to say nano released both songs internationally on iTunes and yeah was winning episode
Dec 10, 2013 4:39 PM
Aug 2011
Naoki-Saten said:

Haha I actually opened all of those.. in some sad and vain attempt to find something else. -pathetic sobs-
Dec 10, 2013 4:51 PM

Nov 2009
This episode was so emotionally moving for me... Wow...
Just unbelievable, this episode alone bumped my score for this show by a lot... @@
Dec 10, 2013 5:04 PM

Apr 2012
The Takao Sacrifice and the songs that go with it was the Best part of this anime Episode so far :'(

This episode deserved to be OVERRATED

Dec 10, 2013 5:26 PM
Oct 2012
NO
TAKAO
NO
Dec 10, 2013 5:39 PM

Dec 2012
DAT EPISODE DOE.... holy jesus that came out of nowhere that 1 episode puts this easily into #1 of best anime this season for me.
Ǝ W ˙˙ ɹ ∀ Ǝ Ⅎ
Dec 10, 2013 9:55 PM
Dec 2013
dat silver sky ost :'(
Dec 10, 2013 10:21 PM
Oct 2008
"Silver sky, falls upon you and i
Another hope fades away into light"

Suddenly the lyrics make sense, dammit.
Dec 10, 2013 10:36 PM

Jan 2012
what the hell...

first takao merged with iona and then...

Maya is not real! What is going on?!
Dec 11, 2013 12:03 AM

Dec 2010
This was one of the best episodes of the series. Feels were had! I really wanted Iona to curl up next to Gunzou to warm him up, and be adorable. But, what she did definitely counts as adorable as well!
Dec 11, 2013 1:49 AM
Feb 2009
omfg this ep was just wowww :(
Dec 11, 2013 2:09 AM

May 2011
all those scene... didn't see it coming,
Beautiful episode, really didn't expect this anime to be this good
Dec 11, 2013 5:02 AM
Dec 2013
Well, one way they could restore Takao is to use Maya's nano material. It's perfect, seeing that Maya is the only one currently shown with the same battleship class as Takao, and also that Maya's persona is not real, I'm sure they'll have no qualms about it.

Besides, since the I-40X series can take control of each other's nano material due to the reason that they are sisters being in the same submarine class. Wouldn't that make Takao and Maya sisters too? It would be perfect if she could control Maya's nano material.
Dec 11, 2013 8:46 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
I love this anime.. it just looks beautiful.. really enjoyable anime D: Dark episode though
Dec 11, 2013 8:56 AM

Oct 2009
That was way emotional than I expected, thought it would be a cliche power up episode XD
This show continues to surprise me :D Well obviously Takao will be back. Poor Kongou :/
Dec 11, 2013 9:25 AM
Jul 2013
Unexpected Takao the decision to sacrifice herself for Iona. And we got hold of Gunzou death, but thankfully they are alive.
AzetaminofenDec 11, 2013 9:28 AM
Dec 11, 2013 12:39 PM

Aug 2013
No!!!Takao :(
Dec 11, 2013 2:00 PM

Apr 2012
'Silly Iona, it's not what kind of hardware you have, it's the software that's installed!'

Takao's sacrifice:

400 and 402 practically taking over:

I have to say episode 10 was a very, very good episode, and that this Anime in general has been the true surprise of the season.
AloxamaxDec 11, 2013 9:12 PM
"Rejoice! We are humans— we are the most talented people! Precisely because we were born without any ability— we can achieve anything— this is the will of the weakest race!" – Sora, ‘No game No life Vol.01’
Dec 11, 2013 2:55 PM

Apr 2011
This was an Amazing and shocking rpd. Takao nnoooooooooooooo!
So much FEELS!! I shed some tears this epd.
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Dec 11, 2013 5:57 PM
Dec 2013
This episode was so full of Feels, i can't even count them t_t

Gunzou, a young man who willingly planned to sacrifice himself in order to Iona to continue operating and deliver the vibration missile!

I-401 mental model a.k.a. Iona, could have easily dispose Gunzou to his wish but her feelings towards him made her sacrifice er last bit of energy to ensure his life for a little more, enclosing herself in her cpu module!

Takao, who has feeling for Gunzou but after seeing Iona sacrifice herself to make sure he lives on she thought that there was no place for her in Gunzou heart and merged with I-401 in order to fully recover it + adding new features to-be-seen!

I have mixed up feelings with this :C
"If i were to be the protagonist of a story, it would be a tragedy"
Dec 11, 2013 7:03 PM

Apr 2012
best episode so far ^^
Dec 11, 2013 7:06 PM
Oct 2012
I have a question that I hope this show answers: why did 400 and 402 create Maya in the first place? Who exactly was she spying on since she had been with Kongou since before Kongou became obsessed, before 401's encounter with Takao, and before Kirishima and Haruna's defection. There had been Fog ships for 17 years, was she created at the beginning? If this is true then it means that the Fog leaders (whoever they are) were worried about treason from the beginning. This raises the question as to why?

Or was Maya created after Hyuuga's defection, and was slipped into the fleet that had produced Hyuuga? That is a possibility, but I really would like the remaining two shows to address this.

Outside of that, re-watched the ending of 10 with Maya, and the final scene of Kongou, while not face on, was not of a face that was crushed or insane, but a very very angry face. Gouzou may be getting an ally, not as a harem character (which to this show's credit it has avoided: Hyuuga defected for Iona, Haruna for the design child, Kirishima for Haruna), but as the old saying goes: revenge is a dish best served cold, and Kongou is definitely the cold type. I think she intends to make the Fog pay for doubting her.
Dec 11, 2013 11:41 PM

Jan 2010
This is most emotional ep ever. ;A; I keep re-watch it when Takou start to give her nano-material to Iona. Da' em feel! Sob* I guess the Takou core still ok just her mental figure is gone. 0w0, hope with this mix between Iona n Takou, next ep would be awesome! Also, maybe new feature in newborn Iona ship!! xD

Dec 12, 2013 12:05 AM

Jan 2012
Anime needs to be renamed "Arpeggio of Blue Feels" ;_; ... Takao why...
Dec 12, 2013 12:39 AM

Sep 2012
Okay, this episode was surprisingly good. While we've seen the mental models slowly come to understand human emotions via human interaction, with this episode - we've seen that it can also be painful it what it takes to be the kind of human you allow yourself to be.

It'll be interesting to see how this carries out for the remainder of the series.
Dec 12, 2013 2:53 AM

Jul 2013
MAAAAAN, here I was rejoicing when Gunzou "died"

DEUS EX MACHINA!!

Why, why sacrifice Takao, one of the better characters in the show just to revive the boring Gunzou and 401??? who cares if they are the main character, they should just stay dead!! Just give all the spotlight to Takao! Her obsessed with revenge and taking up arms against the fog alongside Hyuga, Haruna, and Krishima would be 1000000x more interesting than watching a vanilla and not to mention Gary Stu character like Gunzou!!
Dec 12, 2013 3:09 AM
May 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
I have a question that I hope this show answers: why did 400 and 402 create Maya in the first place? Who exactly was she spying on since she had been with Kongou since before Kongou became obsessed, before 401's encounter with Takao, and before Kirishima and Haruna's defection. There had been Fog ships for 17 years, was she created at the beginning? If this is true then it means that the Fog leaders (whoever they are) were worried about treason from the beginning. This raises the question as to why?

Or was Maya created after Hyuuga's defection, and was slipped into the fleet that had produced Hyuuga? That is a possibility, but I really would like the remaining two shows to address this.
In episode 3, 400 and 402 state that the main job of the submarine fleet is surveillance. They sense that something is changing within the Fleet of Fog, and that further surveillance is necessary, using "her". I don't think they are referring to Takao at that point, but possibly Maya. Maya was likely already in place as their surveillance program. Now their goal initially probably wasn't to monitor Kongou. Rather, Maya, being the "younger sister" of Takao**, could monitor the AWOL Takao more easily. Maya would also be easier to use to make contact with Iona, as seen when Maya has a conversation with Iona after she has defeated Haruna & Kirishima. (**Maya is the same Takao-class cruiser battleship, produced at a later date, thus making Takao the "older" sister ship.)

400 & 402 seem to be strictly obeying the Admiralty Code, which is probably what they exclusively base their actions on. In the manga, there are Fog "leaders", but in the anime, the Admiralty Code is not a physical entity (person/ship/mental model/etc.), but an abstract directive.

Maya existed before Hyuga's "defection" if you want to call it that. I don't think the Fog was aware that Hyuga still existed or had been "captured" by Gunzou. Hyuga was defeated; Gunzou & Co. salvaged her ship and core; later Hyuga chose to make a mental model. So the Fog was unaware that Gunzou had put Hyuga to work for them. The Fog's first hint of it was when i-401 fired the "looted" graviton cannon that they had taken from Hyuga.
parttimewarriorDec 12, 2013 3:13 AM
Dec 12, 2013 3:35 AM

May 2011
Part of me thinks Maya being nothing more than a spy program instead of a true mental model is a setup so Takao can regain her form by taking control of Maya's ship and nano materials.

maybe they can gank a couple Nagera ships and steal their nano materials. who knows. Takao isn't dead. She's just in limbo like Kirishima and Iona were for brief periods.
Dec 12, 2013 4:26 AM
Nov 2013
Oh wow, i was sitting there on my chair with my hot tea crying so loud and singing along with the song and meanwhile scremaing no Takaooooooooo
Those stupid sisters of iona had to do dis to me ;-; the feels are too strong
Dec 12, 2013 5:17 AM

Dec 2011
Self sacrifice. When I saw Iona as a core, oh the feels... but when Takao revived them, all the more feels! My goodness.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2013

127 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 23, 2023 4:23 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2013

109 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 15, 2023 5:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2013

196 by Gendolfas »»
Feb 14, 2023 12:49 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2013

153 by TechOtaku »»
Nov 23, 2022 1:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Elite60 - Oct 7, 2013

242 by Ashhk »»
Aug 27, 2020 6:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.