Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 5, 2013 6:06 PM

Sep 2012
Confirmed for best show of the year.
Dec 5, 2013 6:15 PM

Oct 2013
Kind of devastated that there's only two more episodes.
Dec 6, 2013 5:31 AM

Sep 2011
This is great. Questions are finally being answered.
Koto is also a part of Inari O_O
I don't know what Lady Koto's powers are though.
Oh well, Greeeeat episode!
pew pew pew
Dec 6, 2013 6:46 AM

Sep 2012
Wow, new characters... the lady could even control those little demons (but why we have four instead of just two?)

A lot of destruction but somehow I got a bit annoyed with dad Myoue keeps being evasive with explanation and even gives insensitive remarks of all the mess happening around, including the loss of memory of his daughter.

And of course the jinja master just stood there and gave the younger Myoue all the time to talk to young Koto and rouse her spirit lol

And the solution of the younger Koto is just the usual impetuous unthinking brute force approach -- I will destroy everything if I don't get my wish lol If the jinja master was right in saying that nothing can be helped to keep the artificial world, then all Koto can achieve is just more destruction, right? But of course I'd expect some miraculous solution would come up so that Koto does not have to carry out her threat lol

And still we don't know what happened to mama Koto after she left the artificial world. Wasn't she supposed to give her body back to the Kannon-sama? So why could she sustain her human form? And what happened to papa Myoue after he left with Koto? Did he leave not just because of Koto's departure, but also because he could not stay away from the real world forever due to his Observer job?
symbvDec 6, 2013 6:50 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 6, 2013 12:09 PM

Apr 2013
Wow crazy.
Good episode.
Dec 6, 2013 1:17 PM

Jul 2010
Best episode so far imho. I loved the OST during the Shrine's entrance.
Also finally we understand a lot more.

But there is one thing that I don't understand: Why is Nase losing her memory?
Dec 6, 2013 1:57 PM

Aug 2013
Great Episode , I wanted to cry that moment :"|
sad only 2 episodes left +1 specialcI want more >_<

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Dec 6, 2013 3:01 PM
Oct 2012
j0x said:
damn so Koto is a fusion of a god and buddha but is their a difference between a buddha and god? lol either way the story is about to be concluded now, great ride!

Humm, not an easy question to answer when it comes to Japan. First there really should be 3 categories Gods, buddha and Kami. While Kami is always translated as "God" in English, it really isn't a good translation. I wouldn't even compare a kami to a greek "god". Their roles and powers are just too different. Second, the Japanese view of religion is very very different than it is in the west.

In Japan, Kami just exist. They have some ability to grant fortune, but they really aren't that well defined. Even Amaterasu, supposedly the chief Japanese "god", outside of being associated with the sun and a handful of legends, really doesn't have a personality or defined powers. People go to pray at Ise because that is what the Japanese do, she is supposed to be the founder of the Imperial family, and well, it certainly wouldn't hurt to pray to her, you wouldn't want to annoy her you know.
That is what most Kami's are like. Most of them are very regional and people pray to them, not because they believe in them for the most part, but because that is what their family has done for the past 2000 years and, well Japan is a country that has accepted Pascal's Wager.

Buddhas are more tangible. They also are not gods. They can help people, but most buddhas are humans who have become enlightened, but out of compassion have decided to stay and help humans rather than go to Nirvana. The Japanese pray to buddhas because again it can't hurt. Buddhism also has a monopoly on the afterlife in Japan (where as Shinto has a monopoly on births, Christianity has done a good job at carving out marriage, but Shinto handles that as well).

Kamis are the native Japanese folk religion, Buddhism is a transplant that decided to try to assimilate the Kami. From around 700 AD - 1869 AD, Kami were, for all intents, appendages to Buddhist shrines, but starting with the Meiji period there was a campaign to assert Kamis (now called Shinto) and suppress Buddhism. While this campaign failed, it did completely separate the two in people's mind. It has been only relatively recently that the two have been flowing back towards one another.
Takuan_SohoDec 6, 2013 8:06 PM
Dec 6, 2013 6:10 PM

Jun 2007
See, that is how you get things done. Threaten to destroy all of creation.
Dec 6, 2013 8:01 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode mostly.
I know I'm missing something though. Just don't have good enough memory
Dec 6, 2013 9:54 PM
Jul 2011
Amarrez said:
I'm not feeling it. I probably expected too much from the stellar first 5 episodes, but the last 3 really just don't feel like they've been cut from the same cloth.

It's not bad. Just definitely on a lower tier compared to what came before.

I agree completely this episode felt very rushed
Dec 7, 2013 1:30 AM

Jan 2013
Disappointing(rushed and dragged at the same time lol) episode overall but the end was fantastic.

And about Kami(神) thing, it's pretty much pointless as saying "Dragon and 竜 are different". Far-East-Asians perceive G(g)od(s) all the same as 神 and don't care about such difference. It's just Americans who put too much weight on the word "God".
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 7, 2013 1:42 AM

Oct 2007
Amarrez said:
I'm not feeling it. I probably expected too much from the stellar first 5 episodes, but the last 3 really just don't feel like they've been cut from the same cloth.

It's not bad. Just definitely on a lower tier compared to what came before.

I completely agree and exactly with that count of episodes. The episodes from when the mother came back have been surprisingly weak and I'm just not really feeling it.
Dec 7, 2013 8:36 AM

Jun 2012
Dat Koto and Myoue at the end.
Tutturu ~
Dec 7, 2013 11:25 AM
Jan 2010
I'm sad that this is only 10 episodes.
Dec 7, 2013 2:05 PM

Sep 2011
best episode, depending on the last 2 episodes i may be giving this a 10, i love how so much of the series makes sense because of the explanations this episode. Koto's developments in addition to that scene myoue were just phenominal, music is 10/10 worthy as always, animation was gorgeous and the emotions conveyed in this episode were just something else

Riez said:

Myoue x Koto. W-Wait , would that be incest ?
considering koto is the only one of them that is actually lady koto and inari's kid, though isnt myoue like years older than koto....and already in a relationship

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 7, 2013 3:37 PM
Jul 2013
Made a doll Yase. Since there is only one episode, right? The series right now is very good.
Dec 8, 2013 3:21 AM

Oct 2012
i can't help but love the ending of this episode. Gutsy Koto.

Time to find out how everything will be resolved. All of reality depends on it!
Dec 8, 2013 11:28 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
Wow, new characters... the lady could even control those little demons (but why we have four instead of just two?)

Agents of the Shrine are given two Komaiun. Papa-Myoue had two, Koto when she became an agent has two, and I believe these were the Shrine Masters two Komainu (notice how they stood behind him when he was lecturing Koto and then shuddered when he asked who had told her about the 13th plane). The lady behind the Shrine Master seems to have the power to control ALL the Komainu.

Though this show hasn't said it, I believe that when you become an agent of the shrine you really become a "Kami" (humans actually become Kami all the time), and in Japan every Kami has two Komainu protecting their shrine (in the Gingitsune they are called the "heralds" of the Kami, notice how there are supposed to be two). Papa-Myoue 's fox mask indicates that he is the Kami "Inari" (which again is the same god in Gingitsue, and is the Kami with the most shrines in Japan), the other masked shrine agents are other Kami. Interestingly they all were shown sort of isolating Inari, which would make sense in that Inari really isn't a traditional Shinto Kami from the Kojiki or Nihon Shoki (the two main sources of Japanese mythology), as is a bit of an unknown interloper.

symbv said:
And of course the jinja master just stood there and gave the younger Myoue all the time to talk to young Koto and rouse her spirit lol

The Jinja Master is not evil, he really did not want to destroy the 13th plane. Don't forget he knew about mama-Koto, so he knew about the world. He had actually protected it as long as he could, so he is in no real hurry to destroy it. He also wanted MC-Koto to accept so he could at least save her, if not everyone else in the world.

symbv said:
And the solution of the younger Koto is just the usual impetuous unthinking brute force approach -- I will destroy everything if I don't get my wish lol If the jinja master was right in saying that nothing can be helped to keep the artificial world, then all Koto can achieve is just more destruction, right? But of course I'd expect some miraculous solution would come up so that Koto does not have to carry out her threat lol

The really bizarre thing is that this IS in keeping with Buddhism (and don't forget that Koto is also a Buddha). This world is as much an illusion as the 13th plane, and in order to reach nirvana you literally have to shatter this illusion (as the famous Koan goes: "If you meet the Buddha, kill him" (this Koan is attributed to LInji, the founder of the Rinzai school of Zen, this is interesting because the person who brought the Rinzai school to Japan was the same person who gave Myoue the tea leaves (which I mentioned back in 5.5))) of this world. That is what Koto is doing. The shrine master faulted Inari for forsaking his responsibility and becoming attached to Koto and his family, in Buddhism "attachment" to anything in reality, is the ultimate "sin".

symbv said:
And still we don't know what happened to mama Koto after she left the artificial world. Wasn't she supposed to give her body back to the Kannon-sama? So why could she sustain her human form? And what happened to papa Myoue after he left with Koto? Did he leave not just because of Koto's departure, but also because he could not stay away from the real world forever due to his Observer job?

Myoue returned to working for the Shrine, taking the younger Koto with him as part of his deal to prevent Jinja from destroying the 13th plane when it was initially discovered. Koto accepted imprisonment because the Shrine Master made it a requirement for him to leave the 13th plane alone (remember he said that they younger Koto destroyed mama-Koto's monitoring device).

Buddhas think in terms of billions of years, so most likely the time to return the body has not come (or perhaps ever would come because that would be a form of "attachment"). Koto's form wasn't tied to the artificial world, since Myoue created it for her after she was embodied, so there is no reason to think leaving it would have an impact.

That the writer meant most of this stuff is pretty clear in that he actually said that Koto was a syncretic being. Syncretism is what you call the merger of Shito and Buddhism (I explained this back on 5 I think, that for roughly 1,000 years the Kami and Buddhas were considered one thing, it was only from 1867-1872 when there was a systematic attempt to destroy Buddhism in Japan, that the two became separate). Inari and the Kumano Shrines (which I talked about over on RDG)(a bit can be read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumano_shrine) are the best remaining examples of Syncretism in Japan. As Episode 5.5 shows, he knows what he was talking about with both Buddhism and Shinto, so there is meaning behind all things.
Dec 8, 2013 11:37 AM
Oct 2012
DawnJ said:
And about Kami(神) thing, it's pretty much pointless as saying "Dragon and 竜 are different". Far-East-Asians perceive G(g)od(s) all the same as 神 and don't care about such difference. It's just Americans who put too much weight on the word "God".

First, this was originally an "American" site, so there is benefit to explaining it if only too "Americans". Second, this doesn't imply "just" to Americans, but also Canadians, Europeans, and Australians, the totality of which would be a majority of people on this site.

Third, and most importantly, no not all "Far-East Asians" have the same view of Gods. Kami are ingenuous to Japan and no "Far East Asian" country has anything similar to them (Korea it seems used to, but that was nearly 2,000 years ago, Taosim, Buddhism and Confucianism totally wiped it out).

If the difference between "Dragon and 竜" was essential for understanding the plot of a story, then yes, the difference should be pointed out, otherwise all you are saying is "let them wallow in their ignorance", which is something I adamantly oppose.
Dec 9, 2013 3:27 PM

Dec 2010
This show has completely blown my expectations out of the water and is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Can't wait to find out how they end up wrapping everything together.
Dec 10, 2013 11:03 AM

Sep 2011
I've come to notice that any scene which features song number 38 from the OST, 世界の果てまでも, (Roughly translates to Till the Ends of the Earth) instantly becomes fucking epic.
The car bashing scene from episode 00, the lightning scene from episode 1, and then Shrine's entrance scene in this episode. Holy shit I came from my eyes and ears and then rewatched that scene like 10 times. Still VERY happy I was able to pick up a copy of the OST in Akihabara.
Achieve your mission with all your might.
Despair not till your last breath.
Make your death count.
Dec 11, 2013 2:33 AM
Jan 2013
Besides when it was stated that Koto was a mixture of Kami and Buddha, is there any other hinting that Inari is a god?

I mean, being able to create a whole new worldline is a huge feat in itself but where else did they hint at it?
._.
Dec 15, 2013 3:50 AM

Dec 2012
I want a familiar (or two), even if Shrine-thugs can turn them against me.
Dec 15, 2013 5:53 PM

Feb 2013
Well that "sort of" explained things.

Lots of fun destruction this episode. Way to go Koto, you broke the multiverse.
Dec 17, 2013 9:18 PM

Sep 2013
So how was that woman able to control Aa and Un?
Dec 19, 2013 1:59 PM

Jun 2012
ooh, so good =D

Jan 1, 2014 2:34 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
DawnJ said:
it's pretty much pointless as saying "Dragon and 竜 are different".

The two are in fact different. It's two words from two different languages and culture. Think of each of them as a set. There is an intersection between the two sets. However, the two sets are not equal.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 16, 2014 12:49 PM

May 2012
Another impressive episode, things sure are going to get quite interesting in the next coming episodes!
Jan 19, 2014 2:48 PM
Mar 2009
The Head Priest looked worried when Koto was about to be attacked by the four spirits. And wow, a depressed Koto, never thought that would happen.

Dat preview. Seems like they are going to drop everything next episode.

Myoue/Inari seems so distant and cold from his family. He barely interacted with any of his children or even Lady Koto.
Jan 8, 2015 9:32 PM

Feb 2013
Oh I was wrong what I said in the previous episode. It's Koto fault that th world is falling apart. Looks like she'd rather destroy everything than not save it.
Feb 5, 2015 11:06 PM

Jun 2014
HOLY SHITTTTTTTTT
I absolutely LOVE Hammer Koto. Shes probably one of my favorite characters ever. It's not often you get such a strong female character, mentally, physically AND emotionally. Plus shes just freaking AWESOME.
But DAMN they are placing a LOT on her shoulders. And what does she do? With a little motivation from her 'brother' she draws her damn weapon to fight back.
SHES SUCH A GOOD CHARACTER.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Apr 20, 2015 6:39 AM

Nov 2011
Interesting episode, the narrative can largely explain the mysteries so far so carefully concealed by the plot, as far as I'm pretty satisfied, although I still have doubts. The drawings and animations are good as quality, soundtrack very beautiful; the PV at the end of episode, it seems very interesting.
Feb 13, 2016 9:36 PM
Jul 2018
Wow, shit's getting real. Wonder what the Shrine'll do.
May 5, 2017 1:37 PM

Jun 2013
The events of the episode weren't easy on our favorite tomboy. Her first heroic shutdown caused by guilt, and then soon after, a second shutdown due to a terrifying vision, as she learned her sheer existence puts her mother in grave jeopardy.

Inari wasn't quite clear on why he created Kyoto Beyond the Looking Glass, aka the 13th worldline. Still, based on his words, I can assume that his long tenure as an observer left him very lonely, so it makes sense that he would long for companionship, and a family.

Well, it's not until Myoue II reminds Koto of the idea that she should feel lucky as her parents are still alive. And then, after the double shutdown, we get the crazy payoff, as she threatens to destroy reality as we know it. This makes her the villain from the Shrine's perspective. Still, if she wants to save Kyoto, the family will have to figure out a way to save all the world lines, too.
LeeTailorMay 5, 2017 1:49 PM
Dec 2, 2017 4:40 PM

Sep 2011
I like Koto very much, so it was pretty sad seeing her so sad when it wasn't even her fault :( Inari should have just told her not to search for her mother because that would endanger others, and that's it. She might have not easily accepted it, but at least Inari wouldn't have needed to tell Koto about everything.

So Inari is actually a kami. That's probably the source of his powers and why he could turn into a younger man when he returned (reincarnated?).

I can't wait to see what will happen. I'm quite sure Koto would really go on and destroy other worlds unless the Chief Priest helps :'D Though he probably knew about this place and let it be as long as Koto and Inari would work for them.
RazielZeroDec 2, 2017 4:45 PM
Jul 24, 2019 11:43 AM
Jul 2018
Of course, you could always threaten to end all of existence when things don't go your way, that's always a viable option.

Inari kinda frustrates me but at the same time, he's a genuinely compelling character. I loved the bit where he and Lady Koto were bickering, it was hilarious yet emotional at the same time. Then again that's this whole show in a nutshell

So then why does he stab Hammer Koto in the preview...? Last time I checked stabbing your daughter isn't the way to solve interdimensional conflict o -o
Dec 6, 2020 3:20 PM

Aug 2017
First Shouko had a PSP, now it's a "Game Girl" xD

Wearing two uniforms on top of each other...not that I expected anything less from Koto x) Though I think the black/white dichotomy has some relevance (maybe to Buddhism again)

Koto's standoff with Yakushimaru was amazing and emotional, and the whole episode is just incredible. Yase's commentaries added a bit of comedy. That lady from the Shrine was like "I'm totally innocent :p" at the end of the battle.

I also just appreciate the fact that Inari is supposed to be the kami of tea (among other things), and historical Myoue was not irrelevant to the history of tea in Japan, to say the least. What a nice detail.

Though this show hasn't said it, I believe that when you become an agent of the shrine you really become a "Kami" (humans actually become Kami all the time), and in Japan every Kami has two Komainu protecting their shrine (in the Gingitsune they are called the "heralds" of the Kami, notice how there are supposed to be two). Papa-Myoue 's fox mask indicates that he is the Kami "Inari" (which again is the same god in Gingitsue, and is the Kami with the most shrines in Japan), the other masked shrine agents are other Kami. Interestingly they all were shown sort of isolating Inari, which would make sense in that Inari really isn't a traditional Shinto Kami from the Kojiki or Nihon Shoki (the two main sources of Japanese mythology), as is a bit of an unknown interloper.

The really bizarre thing is that this IS in keeping with Buddhism (and don't forget that Koto is also a Buddha). This world is as much an illusion as the 13th plane, and in order to reach nirvana you literally have to shatter this illusion (as the famous Koan goes: "If you meet the Buddha, kill him" (this Koan is attributed to LInji, the founder of the Rinzai school of Zen, this is interesting because the person who brought the Rinzai school to Japan was the same person who gave Myoue the tea leaves (which I mentioned back in 5.5))) of this world. That is what Koto is doing. The shrine master faulted Inari for forsaking his responsibility and becoming attached to Koto and his family, in Buddhism "attachment" to anything in reality, is the ultimate "sin".

Myoue returned to working for the Shrine, taking the younger Koto with him as part of his deal to prevent Jinja from destroying the 13th plane when it was initially discovered. Koto accepted imprisonment because the Shrine Master made it a requirement for him to leave the 13th plane alone (remember he said that they younger Koto destroyed mama-Koto's monitoring device).

Buddhas think in terms of billions of years, so most likely the time to return the body has not come (or perhaps ever would come because that would be a form of "attachment"). Koto's form wasn't tied to the artificial world, since Myoue created it for her after she was embodied, so there is no reason to think leaving it would have an impact.

That the writer meant most of this stuff is pretty clear in that he actually said that Koto was a syncretic being. Syncretism is what you call the merger of Shito and Buddhism (I explained this back on 5 I think, that for roughly 1,000 years the Kami and Buddhas were considered one thing, it was only from 1867-1872 when there was a systematic attempt to destroy Buddhism in Japan, that the two became separate). Inari and the Kumano Shrines (which I talked about over on RDG)(a bit can be read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumano_shrine) are the best remaining examples of Syncretism in Japan. As Episode 5.5 shows, he knows what he was talking about with both Buddhism and Shinto, so there is meaning behind all things.

I love every bit of these details.

Did Inari stopped being a kami after shattering his fox mask?
St0rmbladeDec 16, 2020 4:43 PM
Jun 22, 2021 8:18 PM

May 2020
The story is interesting but I just don't find Koto to be a compelling character. She just comes of as annoying to me.

Jun 23, 2021 5:06 AM

Jul 2016
TitanInsane said:
The story is interesting but I just don't find Koto to be a compelling character. She just comes of as annoying to me.

They all come across as annoying to me.
Jan 6, 2023 8:26 PM

Apr 2016
Some explanation about the relationship of the mother and the daughter.

The shrine guy's voice was a bit surprising.
Apr 17, 9:31 AM

May 2020
Finally more pacing story, now i know who is Koto. They are family after all, the real baby who born from them are Koto.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

136 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2013

66 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2013

65 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:07 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2013

87 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 8:42 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

80 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 8:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.