Forum Settings
Forums
The Ghost in the Shell
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 4, 2013 5:50 AM

Mar 2013
I've been planning on watching Ghost in the Shell for a long time and today I feel like watching some sci-fi! I've already watched 2 movies a few years ago but I might as well rewatch them.

But doing a quick search revealed there are a ton of series and movies. Where do I even start?

Someone who's already watched a lot/all of it might be able to give some order to the chaos?
Dec 4, 2013 9:07 AM

Nov 2010
There are basically three different timelines, basically spinoffs or remakes. You can watch any of them or all of them if you want. These are all the main parts, if there's anything left then they are specials, recaps, and other stuff like that that you don't have to watch. You're able to see which are connected to which part of the series if you go to it's page though.

Ghost in the Shell(movie) > Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence(movie)

Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:1 Ghost Pain > Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:2 Ghost Whispers > Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:3 Ghost Tears(not aired yet) > Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:4(not aired yet)

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex > Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG > Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society
Dec 4, 2013 10:43 AM
Dec 4, 2013 10:48 AM

Mar 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
Sagely wisdom
Take heed of the Turtle-master.

You don't need to rewatch Innocence though. It's the most awkward animated iteration of the franchise.
Dec 19, 2013 12:06 PM

Mar 2011
So there is such thing as a scarcity of time and I am unable to watch every single re-adaptation of Ghost in the Shell. So what is the most worthwhile way to watch the series in order for the most enjoyment?

Please give reasons as to pick one way over another.
Dec 19, 2013 2:19 PM

Mar 2008
No time to watch every single adaptation? First world problems geez.

There are 3 anime timelines of GitS.
The first are Oshii's two films Gits (1995), & GIts:2 Innocence (2004). The first is quite well known, for its cinematic flair and philosophical/(aka pretentious for some) content. Of the two, the sequel is generally less liked as the story takes a bit of a turn from the sci-fi / cyberpunk roots. The first film is probably worth a try, drop it if it bores you if you're so short on time. If you love it and want more Oshii-weirdness/ramblings, then pick up the second film.

The next timeline is Stand Alone Complex, made up of 2x26 episode seasons. SAC is more of a 'police procedural'. Each series has a 'main' constant storyline with a few 'stand alone' episodes in-between. Expect bureaucratic politics, futuristic setting, paramilitary ops, terrorism, interwebs, robots and etc.
This is probably the 'meat' of Ghost in the Shell and what is the core of the franchise given its respective length.
There are summary films which follow just the main storyline, but i'd advise against these as they leave a lot out, and aren't anywhere near the same experience, but i'll put it out there for a person who is so amazingly time-stricken that they only have time for sampling.

Ghost Arise is the latest addition to the franchise. It's a film/ova series and takes after SAC in content, but is a wholly different timeline, written by new people. At the moment it doesn't quite live up to SAC's writing, but it has some reasonably pretty action sequences and is very GitS-like. I could conceive someone watching these as a substitute for SAC and Oshii's 1995 film, but you'd be watching the less 'iconic' part of the franchise.

TLDR: I'd recc you the following:
Ghost in the Shell (1995) > Stand Alone Complex > Stand Alone Complex 2nd GiG > Stand Alone Complex Solid State Society.
Dec 19, 2013 2:42 PM

Mar 2011
Do '95 and SAC cover the same material?
Dec 19, 2013 2:47 PM

Mar 2008
Nope. Both are 'based' off Shirow Masamune's manga, but the stories are completely different. They share man characters, a similar world-setting and sometimes make reference to scenes from the manga, but they're different timelines with different styles and stories.
The first film is heavily based off one of the manga storylines though.
CkanDec 19, 2013 2:51 PM
Dec 19, 2013 2:48 PM

Mar 2011
How is the manga in comparison?
Dec 19, 2013 2:50 PM

Mar 2008
As I haven't read it myself, i'm not sure. I believe some people have complaints about the 'messy' art, but that the writing is generally solid of itself.
Don't take my word on that though.
Dec 19, 2013 7:38 PM

Jan 2011
Second thread moved from Recommendations board and merged with the existing thread. Please read the series threads before creating new ones in the wrong board.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Mar 23, 2015 6:51 AM

Jan 2015
I wanna watch Ghost in the Shell, where should I start and should I watch the movies? If so watch movie should I watch, the original or the 2008 one? (The first movie)

Thanks.
Mar 23, 2015 6:53 AM

Sep 2013
Either start with the 1995 film 'Ghost in the Shell' or with the TV-series 'Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex'.

From what I've heard, I'd recommend going with the original film instead of the 2008 re-release, since I've heard they needlessly butchered some scenes with CGI.
Jul 5, 2015 12:41 PM

Feb 2008
I want to see GItS but i don't know where to start ..i've only see the GIts: Innocence movie because i found it at a fansub group that I am a member. It was when i started to watch anime so i loved it .
But lately I wan't to see all the other...so which one is first ..? I've already read the comments but i'm confused . If i got it right, SAC is like a alternative setting not a sequel of the anime. So where do i start ?

plz help @_@
Feb 3, 2017 9:18 PM

Jan 2016
I know this post is pretty old but here's the way I think makes the most sense.

Ghost In The Shell Arise (series)

Ghost In The Shell The New 2015 movie

Ghost In The Shell Ghost In The Shell movie (90's)

Ghost In The Shell Innocence

Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex

Ghost In The Shell 2nd GIG

from what I know the other titles are shorter versions of the series that cuts out the fillers (which in my case I don't mind fillers)

this connection I found makes the story from beginning to end make more sense

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.

More topics from this board

» How do you describe Motoko Kusanagi's dilemma?

Mehwish_999 - 11 hours ago

1 by tsukor »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

naikou - Jan 29, 2009

166 by notalai »»
Apr 8, 12:04 AM

» How bad are the Ghost in the Shell Blu Rays?

JiffyBone - Mar 12, 2018

8 by Seiidou »»
Aug 6, 2023 8:51 PM

» The Original Movie Was Better

Densel_ - Nov 13, 2022

10 by Densel_ »»
May 7, 2023 9:49 PM

» Canon story watch order?

WeebiBOY - Jan 21, 2023

4 by giffica »»
Jan 21, 2023 4:58 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.