Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 26, 2013 12:45 AM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Reina <3.

Okay, so this episode was fairly good in general. The plot isn't too bad, it gives us more insight on Arisu and on Reina, the fight wasn't too bad and it looks like they're doing progress on the "convert Regina" thing, so it was fairly complete.

It still had its flaws, of course. Like, Reina's past with Arisu and stuff would be far more interesting if, y'know, we hadn't seen Reina only twice so far counting this very episode. Then again later Cure seasons are terrible with not giving anyone but Cures, fairies and baddies any screentime. This is the first season without a single sibling to a Cure! Speaking of Fairies this was the very last time Lance could've got some focus, like Charles and Raquel did in their episodes, but he didn't do anything. It's also rather silly the problem the girls have with Reina's flower shop is she sells CHEAP; between this and last week's victime I'm now convinced Toei hates capitalism. This is a joke, for the record. In a serious matter I wonder why they bothered giving the victim of the week a selfish reason when Regina can bypass that, they probably forgot she can do that. I'm also kinda surprised Sebastian didn't have a spare rocket he could use to take all the Cures into SPAAAAACE, but I guess they wanted Reina to do something and have an excuse for Rosetta to talk alone to Regina. Nevermind they can fly and teleport, but anyway.

And since I brought it up let's discuss SPAAAAACE. There are two possibilities here. One is they weren't high enough to leave the atmosphere, thus explaining why Arisu ejected before transforming, Rosetta fell down until the Pad's latest power saved her and they can all talk and breathe. OR Toei doesn't know how space works at all. This being Toei my money is on #2. Also I love how these rocks were far more effective than the seeds, that's what happens when you add the Flying type.

The fight itself did have three flaws, with the last two being related. The first is Heart's dumb scene where Regina tells her she wants to talk and she Leeroy Jenkins towards her and gets shot because she's dumb. Of course Rosetta saves Heart before she can get hit and no one calls her out on how she just did a dumb thing. Come on, Toei, you can't tell children being reckless and trust anyone is okay. No one will be there to save these children when a stranger bribes them into a car with candy. But not with Candy since no one stands her, har har. The second and actually important one is they make a point of Rosetta being unable to fight and that she can only protect. This is true if you forget about Rosetta Balloon. Or that combination attack they used on Melan and they could totally do now. Or the time she shot her shield. Or her mad kung-fu skillz. Aside from that she can only protect, yes, you are very right. The third is not exclusive to this ep but is now relevant: Rosetta has never used Rosetta Balloon again despite "Each time a different thing shows up!" was hyped as the selling point of the attack. Now I doubt she'll ever use it a second time, thus making it rather pointless. TOEI!

Oh, well, minor flaws aside it was a nice episode, really. The next one is dumb tho, since apparently Aguri never had a birthday before. Unless she just appeared a day out of nowhere recently that's pretty absurd, even if she's adopted or something her grandma would've given her a random birthday date, even if at least out of sheer convenience. Maybe her grandma is like Leonard Hofstadter's mom and thinks being pushed out of a vagina isn't worth celebrating. Guess we'll find out in a week.
Nov 26, 2013 5:06 AM

Oct 2011
Rich people and how they are detached from reality - or Alice's theme in this series (even Karen with her occasional weirdness was more grounded in real world).
But it was fine episode in the end. Had some weird space stuff but whatever, it's space so they can do stuff like this.
ZettaiRyouiki said:
The fight itself did have three flaws, with the last two being related. The first is Heart's dumb scene where Regina tells her she wants to talk and she Leeroy Jenkins towards her and gets shot because she's dumb. Of course Rosetta saves Heart before she can get hit and no one calls her out on how she just did a dumb thing. Come on, Toei, you can't tell children being reckless and trust anyone is okay. No one will be there to save these children when a stranger bribes them into a car with candy. But not with Candy since no one stands her, har har. The second and actually important one is they make a point of Rosetta being unable to fight and that she can only protect. This is true if you forget about Rosetta Balloon. Or that combination attack they used on Melan and they could totally do now. Or the time she shot her shield. Or her mad kung-fu skillz. Aside from that she can only protect, yes, you are very right. The third is not exclusive to this ep but is now relevant: Rosetta has never used Rosetta Balloon again despite "Each time a different thing shows up!" was hyped as the selling point of the attack. Now I doubt she'll ever use it a second time, thus making it rather pointless. TOEI!
I don't get the first part - if it was some strange unknown person than sure, it would be weird. But it was Regina. And with Mana being dumb/naive as she is, it was easy to say that she will try to talk with her friend. Last few episodes are just attempt of everyone to mindf*ck her into being good again and Heart just wanted to give it a go.

As for that second part... that seems to be fate of supporting Precure - Komachi was stronger than any other girl from her team and I think that only twice she used her abilities to attack (in both cases she was rather irritated), same would go with Luminous (ok she had two strongest Precure as companions so she didn't need to). Here I would say it's not fault of DDP. Same goes for attacks that appeared once and than they are gone - Futari wa had Black and White ability to create shields, Rainbow Therapy also went once or twice.
Dalek-bakaNov 26, 2013 5:10 AM
Nov 26, 2013 6:34 AM

Nov 2008
Dalek-baka said:
I don't get the first part - if it was some strange unknown person than sure, it would be weird. But it was Regina. And with Mana being dumb/naive as she is, it was easy to say that she will try to talk with her friend. Last few episodes are just attempt of everyone to mindf*ck her into being good again and Heart just wanted to give it a go.

Mana being gullible because Regina makes her wet her panties spats was fine. The problem was no one called Mana out for being a moron and lowering her guard SO easily. If nothing else you'd think Ace would call her out because that is exactly what Ace does.

Dalek-baka said:
As for that second part... that seems to be fate of supporting Precure - Komachi was stronger than any other girl from her team and I think that only twice she used her abilities to attack (in both cases she was rather irritated), same would go with Luminous (ok she had two strongest Precure as companions so she didn't need to). Here I would say it's not fault of DDP. Same goes for attacks that appeared once and than they are gone - Futari wa had Black and White ability to create shields, Rainbow Therapy also went once or twice.

True, but the series already had episodes going "Rosetta, you can't attack, only make shields, you are weak hurr durr" and those were the ones that showed said kung fu skills and the shield toss. That's why I find weird they just didn't go "Hey, Regina, that was true before but NOW I have a real attack" and poof, Rosetta Balloon. It'd fit the trend perfectly.

Right, they sometimes forget about their attacks, tho to be fair Rainbow Therapy was rather inconsistent on what was used or not used: A bear is fine, but Marble screw the viceprincipal. Rosetta Balloon's case, however, is worse since Rosetta says EACH TIME it's used a different thing comes out, so you'd expect it to be used at least two or three more times. Sure, it's par per the course for this show, but still.
Nov 26, 2013 7:43 AM

Sep 2012
Compared to the amazing ep.40, this episode is quite a big fall. While I welcome bringing back Reina and get the rivalry between her and Alice resolved, there are quite a bit of issues with the story: Suddenly we have Jikochu upgraded into space-borne form, and it seems that no one really question if Alice could really survive in the stratosphere after ejecting from the plane (and before she turns into a precure); all the girls got busy in saving the green sprouts without trying to find out what caused the widespread withering of flowers everywhere; Reina so quick to accept that Alice is some superhero who could fly in space (and don't we have a rule that nobody is supposed to be told the secret of her being a Precure?); and of course my constant fear of Cure Ace not being able to finish everything in 5min and turned back into human while still in the stratophere (and Mana still kept talking!); and lastly: isn't the Yotsuba Group already powerful enough? (and Alice still wanted to make it bigger and stronger?)

Well, in terms of story development, what we seem to have is one by one the team-mates of Mana gets convinced that Regina has love inside her, that she is not evil by nature. Two episodes ago it was Aguri. Last episode it was MakoP. This episode it was Alice. And I bet Rikka just followed Mana? So next episode it will be for something else...
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 26, 2013 11:28 AM

Oct 2011
ZettaiRyouiki said:
Mana being gullible because Regina makes her wet her panties spats was fine. The problem was no one called Mana out for being a moron and lowering her guard SO easily. If nothing else you'd think Ace would call her out because that is exactly what Ace does.
Mana is reverse-Nozomi type: Dream had ability to made everyone go for their dreams, develop and becoming better; what Mana does is dragging people down to her level of delusions - so they wouldn't be able to tell it to her, as they were already dumbed down to level of giving songs/flowers to Regina.
That is why I liked that Ace from the start, she was nasty towards girls but she had reasons... no it's one more member of Mana's harem.

ZettaiRyouiki said:
True, but the series already had episodes going "Rosetta, you can't attack, only make shields, you are weak hurr durr" and those were the ones that showed said kung fu skills and the shield toss. That's why I find weird they just didn't go "Hey, Regina, that was true before but NOW I have a real attack" and poof, Rosetta Balloon. It'd fit the trend perfectly.

Right, they sometimes forget about their attacks, tho to be fair Rainbow Therapy was rather inconsistent on what was used or not used: A bear is fine, but Marble screw the viceprincipal. Rosetta Balloon's case, however, is worse since Rosetta says EACH TIME it's used a different thing comes out, so you'd expect it to be used at least two or three more times. Sure, it's par per the course for this show, but still.
But if I recall problem with Rosetta was that she had those "anger management issues", they were mentioned once but I think it counts. If this part of the plot was expanded it might have more sense for her to use only shields. For me it makes sense but since Toei put too much stuff they might forgot about mentioning it (yet another nice possibility wasted). Hell they don't go into explaining if she dealt with it or not.
Nov 26, 2013 12:59 PM

Nov 2008
Dalek-baka said:
Mana is reverse-Nozomi type: Dream had ability to made everyone go for their dreams, develop and becoming better; what Mana does is dragging people down to her level of delusions - so they wouldn't be able to tell it to her, as they were already dumbed down to level of giving songs/flowers to Regina.
That is why I liked that Ace from the start, she was nasty towards girls but she had reasons... no it's one more member of Mana's harem.

And that is why Nozomi was a good leader while Mana is not. We call her Mana Sue for a reason.

Dalek-baka said:
But if I recall problem with Rosetta was that she had those "anger management issues", they were mentioned once but I think it counts. If this part of the plot was expanded it might have more sense for her to use only shields. For me it makes sense but since Toei put too much stuff they might forgot about mentioning it (yet another nice possibility wasted). Hell they don't go into explaining if she dealt with it or not.

That might be the reason, actually. I wouldn't discard they just plain forgot Rosetta has plenty of offensive options, the first time Rikka transformed she DEFEATED A SELFISH WITH HER SPECIAL and afterwards she was forever treated as a support even when Makoto still got kills.
Nov 26, 2013 3:24 PM
Jul 2018
The space stuff, from falling to talking in space to the airplane catching up with Alice's jet, passed my autism meter.
Dec 1, 2013 12:16 PM

Aug 2012
'How did you get here?'

Girl ... just look at their wings ...

But no, they took an airplane? Why give them wings then?
Dec 7, 2013 2:45 PM

Jan 2008
Reina, I love you oh so much. And Alice's "no shits were given that day" always cracks me up. See Mana, you should learn from the best. You are several tiers below.

I really liked the first part of the episode with Reina's OHOHOHOHOHOHO, Alice's attitude and that easy-going atmosphere ("I always wanted a flower shop..." "Okay, let's make you one!" "Yaaaay!"). The second part's craziness is what I associate with Rosetta's and Sebastian's character theme so I won't question how Alice can do virtually ANYTYHING in Doki Doki Universe. What I didn't like was the forced and cheesy moral of the story/Alice's resolve. It somehow feels like it came from thin air - suddenly Alice recalls she loves flowers and she's very deep about them so she will convince Regina to be deep about them too. Oooookay.
May 26, 2016 4:27 AM

May 2008
ZettaiRyouiki said:

And since I brought it up let's discuss SPAAAAACE. There are two possibilities here. One is they weren't high enough to leave the atmosphere, thus explaining why Arisu ejected before transforming, Rosetta fell down until the Pad's latest power saved her and they can all talk and breathe. OR Toei doesn't know how space works at all. This being Toei my money is on #2. Also I love how these rocks were far more effective than the seeds, that's what happens when you add the Flying type.

"Otona no jijo"

Those who watch heartcatch already know that space dosent work the same way in precure univers... XD And why? Just because it's magic....

I think the last precure series that serious is Fresh... After that Precure start became more childish.
I don't hate the after series but possible the best precure is the first 3 series.. (also maybe suite...)

Most of the time i can't hate the series even if the story is crap just because the characters.
For Example i like smile precure even if a know the last episode is a crap... I can't hate because cure Sunny and wolfrun in there.
May 22, 2018 5:45 AM

Apr 2012
Precure in SPAAAAACE

so what, the transformation serves as a kind of space suit/oxygen supply? Ace better be thankful the fight didn't last longer than 5 minutes then :D
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Mar 21, 2021 2:17 PM
Feb 2018
Thanks again ZettaiRyouiki for making so many good points. The only one I disagreeing is the "mad because Reina sells cheap". They're mad because Reina is purposely doing this to spite Alice, she even admits it herself. So she'd do anything to get people to not go to Alice's shop and go to hers instead.

I'm actually annoyed at the victim of the week, not only was it pointless but again it wasn't selfish but pure angst. You can't fly your plane so you hope the flowers will wilt? What? What did the flowers do to you? I'm guessing they just really wanted to plug the "Oh I gave my mother flowers for mother's day!"

Alice opening her flower shop was cute. Nice disguise Makoto, I'm sure you fooled everyone at the flea market, like for real no one even called out to you. Alice is way too precious, the way she just have a smile on her at all times and like almost infinite amount of patience. And respect that one dude that stayed for Alice's flowers because Alice had good service instead of going to Bitchna... referring to Reina since Regina could have counted too.

Seems like every non-important in-universe character is retarded. If the fact that all the flowers wilting and then coming back to life for absolutely no reason doesn't cause any panic and questioning. And they're all ready to accept "oh that just happened for no reason, but nothing is wrong here!" Side note, why give the Jikochu that strong of a power to begin with.

Reina still annoying. Interesting how she keeps associating with her group of clowns when she has Alice. Why didn't Regina turn her into a jikochu instead? She was more "selfish" than whoever that random was. Also lmao Regina just appearing out of nowhere, seems like she's a stalker. Reina actually resembles Regina a lot. Not just in appearance but personality. I guess one of the difference is while Regina is "I hate flowers because they're more beautiful than me", Reina is "Flowers are beautiful but not more than me." Also pretty selfish and just wants to feed her own pride. Oh Reina you just wanted friends? Harassing people just for doing their thing is going to get you friends alright. Bullying Alice is going to make you her friend alright.

Regina still being a pain. Maybe stop King Jikochu first and hope the mind control stops before you keep trying to snap her out of the brain washing. The whole Cure in space fight is just feels way too convenient to me. Alice got up, fought for a bit then was about to crash. And during this time, the Cures revealed their identities to Reina and also got Reina to fly them up? I forgive most "conveniences" but this just feels ridiculous. Also seems like they stopped caring about keeping their identities a secret. Reina has been harassing them for like 90% of her screen time and they're so quick to trust her? Wondered how their conversation even went.

Regina saying Rosetta can only defend? Have you seen Rosetta fight you little idiot? She's arguably the best fighter out of the Cures (weaker than Ace in terms of power, but in terms of combat moves maybe not) because she knows martial arts in her Civilian form . Also the fact she can also use the shield as a weapon. Oh Ace is actually struggling against Regina now, what? She got hit by the spear sure, but why didn't Ace dodge? We know she's much faster than Regina. Unless the spear is giving Regina a passive boost to her power I'm calling bullshit. There's no way the Cures should even be losing to Regina in combat at this point.

And Reina becomes Alice's friend of course...... Everyone forgives her of course.....

The preview, lmao why does everyone look so goofy in the group shot.
Aug 15, 2021 10:51 AM

Feb 2020
I'm glad Reina and Alice finally became friends.

SerafosFeb 21, 1:10 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » DokiDoki! Precure Episode 35 Discussion

ZettaiRyouiki - Oct 12, 2013

14 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Nov 23, 2023 1:25 PM

Poll: » Dokidoki! Precure Episode 27 Discussion

Kaengel - Aug 4, 2013

20 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Nov 21, 2023 3:12 PM

Poll: » Dokidoki! Precure Episode 23 Discussion

symbv - Jul 6, 2013

31 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Nov 19, 2023 11:39 PM

Poll: » Dokidoki! Precure Episode 22 Discussion

FrozenLilith - Jun 29, 2013

29 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Oct 14, 2023 3:13 PM

Poll: » Dokidoki! Precure Episode 4 Discussion

symbv - Feb 23, 2013

27 by Archer2 »»
Jul 11, 2023 5:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.