Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 25, 2013 10:00 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Forbidden love
Another funny episode :3

Nyanpasu! This artwork is pretty well done imo: http://i.imgur.com/XONJTQF.png
Nov 25, 2013 11:00 AM

Nov 2008
I remember having these Styrofoam planes growing up

Renge is a pretty good artist and would make a decent manga artist someday, most likely Hotaru as well although seeing her sketch Komari and Renge while they were asleep is a bit creepy and cute.

Nov 25, 2013 1:32 PM

May 2012
Hoppy said:

Renge is a pretty good artist and would make a decent manga artist someday, most likely Hotaru as well although seeing her sketch Komari and Renge while they were asleep is a bit creepy and cute.

There's nothing creepy about it! The fact that she made like twenty stuffed Komaris is creepy. But her sketching that scene isn't all that weird. Two people sleeping under a tree is a great artistic scene. Hotarun was just lucky the girl she liked was one of the people sleeping under the tree xD

Man, this show is amazing!!

Also, preview for next episode...HOLY PERSIMMON!! WAS THAT HOTARUN IN NEKOMIMI!?!?!?!

I seriously am excited for the next episode as much as I was for this one!!
Nov 25, 2013 1:32 PM

Dec 2011
"I'm older than you! Why are you more like an onee-san?!" - story of Komari's life.

Good to have a Komari-centred episode.

Komari trying to be grown up, first by getting sentimental and second by trying to cook a meal. Both attempts fail. As soon as they opened the pot I thought to myself "she forgot to put the water in didn't she?"

Konomi... new character? Trying to work out how old she is.

And Komari doesn't know what an MP3 player is. Something to do with RPGs apparently...

And now music tastes. Komari desperately trying to upstage Hotaru over and over again and failing every time.

Poor Komari, when she tries to change the topic, she gets lost again.

Love and coffee are her losses as well. Although of course Hotaru is thinking about Komari when she talks about her not exactly love. Which Komari then tells her obviously is love. I don't think she realises what she's saying.

Drawing with Ren-chon. I wonder what she'll draw. Oh? So she decides to draw Komari. Or rather, her condensed into a ball. And then Hotaru of course wants in on the act.

Ren-chon's drawing skills are impressive

And now playing with throwing model planes... And Komari asks not to be treated like an adult. Hotaru arrives to find the two of them asleep and decides to draw them.

Suguru plays the guitar, does he? And rather loudly. He actually said something! Not that it was audible, though.

And Hotaru gets the fruit with the face on it. All shrivelled up.
kuuderes_shadowNov 25, 2013 1:39 PM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 25, 2013 1:44 PM

May 2013
Another nice episode with lots of Komari and Hotaru.

The art was really nice in this episode, really nice autumn scenery.

Lots of Komari's misfortunes again in this episode - music tastes, fashion, coffee and bad timing with pretending to be a Stem Ranger.

Don't you think Komari's cute pose is cute?

Hotaru seems to think so.
Nov 25, 2013 1:48 PM

Dec 2011
Classiick said:

The art was really nice in this episode, really nice autumn scenery.

Yeah I loved it too. Beautiful, golden autumnal colours. So much better than this autumn has been in reality, at least around here.

vampko said:
WAS THAT HOTARUN IN NEKOMIMI!?!?!?!

Yup. Didn't notice it first time around.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 25, 2013 1:50 PM

Jul 2010
Ren-chon is so talented!
KAKIJIRO-KUN!! NO!
Nov 25, 2013 1:56 PM

Dec 2011
Incidentally diospyros kaki is the scientific name of a species of persimmon, and 'jiro' is a Japanese cultivar of this species. Hence the 'name' Kakijiro.
Nov 25, 2013 2:10 PM

Apr 2012
I just love the art work in this show while Ren-chon cracks me up with meowning!
Nov 25, 2013 2:26 PM

Jul 2013
Another great episode for this.

I felt bad for Komari when she is in the "lower level" of being the mature type sister XD. That is some pro art skills from Renge, drawing Komari. Oh damn, Suguru spoked but the guitar got in the way :/ didn't know he is pro at it. And wrap things up of hanging the Persimmon fruit, and a new character introduced, Konomi.

I just love the beautiful art scene for Autumn in this episode.

Nov 25, 2013 2:26 PM

Aug 2010
Nice Koma-chan centered episode. Too bad she lost so many otona-points =/ she's well in the negative now.

And she got herself a Portable CD player? WTF? If you showed her an MP3 player she'd prolly be like WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?

The drawing scene was cute, and they had a nice background there. And OMG, styrofoam planes! I feel the nostalgia. Back when I was little I used to buy them at a local shop...
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Nov 25, 2013 3:15 PM

Oct 2012
The Japanese Wikipedia page for Non Non Biyori has some basic background
information about Konomi, the new character who we met today. I does not
seem to reveal any serious plot spoilers. But I'll put it inside the spoiler tag
nonetheless. It is in Japanese. I might translate it later, but I am getting to
be a serious hikikomori and I have to go outside into the real world for a few
minutes today.
Nov 25, 2013 3:22 PM

May 2013
Their brother is finally talking. Too bad he had to talk over his guitar lol.

Ren-chan sure can draw well.
Nov 25, 2013 3:22 PM

Feb 2012
Awesome ep. Komari not being able to keep up with Hotaru's convo was cute. Ren-chon's drawing also surprised me lol. She's an art prodigy omg1!1!!

Also dat piano background music playing near the end of the ep was beautiful.
Nov 25, 2013 3:51 PM

Oct 2012
Feels like autumn.. nostalgic episode. And dat RENGE sketch!
Nov 25, 2013 3:56 PM
Mar 2012
Renge's drawing is just god tier~ She even know how to utilize her position XD

Suguru again confirmed a badass
Nov 25, 2013 4:05 PM

Apr 2013
The art in this show is so beautiful and calming. I enjoyed the sketching scene in the forest. Loved how colorful the area was.

Lol at the scene with Suguru playing guitar. Still haven't heard a word from him haha
Nov 25, 2013 4:16 PM
Nov 2010
Yes! haha they are going to doing Cultural festival with some cosplaying next ep and again Suguru is just awesome
Nov 25, 2013 4:48 PM

Oct 2013
I worked all day at the office anticipating watching Non Non Biyori when I got home. Another great episode and about my favorite season, no less. It was cool to have a Komari-centric installment.
I always feel sorry for Komari. She never gets any triumphs of her own. I'm hoping she has a real victory in one of these remaining episodes.

Renge's drawing talent confirmed my suspicion regarding the Gu-cushion she made in episode 6; she could make a more naturalistic figure, but prefers an 'artistic' one, such as Komari reduced to a ball viewed from behind.

Suguru shreds on guitar!

I think Konomi is a year ahead of Komari. 15?
Nov 25, 2013 5:05 PM

May 2012
redtailrav said:
I worked all day at the office anticipating watching Non Non Biyori when I got home. Another great episode and about my favorite season, no less. It was cool to have a Komari-centric installment.
I always feel sorry for Komari. She never gets any triumphs of her own. I'm hoping she has a real victory in one of these remaining episodes.

Renge's drawing talent confirmed my suspicion regarding the Gu-cushion she made in episode 6; she could make a more naturalistic figure, but prefers an 'artistic' one, such as Komari reduced to a ball viewed from behind.

Suguru shreds on guitar!

I think Konomi is a year ahead of Komari. 15?

If I'm reading that thing that okanogan posted right she's
Nov 25, 2013 5:35 PM

Oct 2013
In the closing title they have a Plesiosaur with " U.identified M.ystery A.nimal". What is the significance of this reference to cryptozoology? Is it something to do with the Cultural Festival?
Nov 25, 2013 5:39 PM

Dec 2009
Hotaru and Konomi <3
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Nov 25, 2013 6:25 PM

May 2013
Lol Hotaru sketching Renge and Komari sleeping reminds of that kid sketching Pikachu and Celebi from the Pokemon movie. (random references ftw?)
Nov 25, 2013 6:50 PM

May 2013
vampko said:
Hoppy said:

There's nothing creepy about it!

Maybe he heard in his mind Hotarun saying "guhehe" while doing the sketch (look it in youtube, it is the first search result).

kuuderes_shadow said:
Suguru plays the guitar, does he? And rather loudly. He actually said something! Not that it was audible, though.

I wonder it some sound techinician removes the guitar sound we will hear something disturbing (like when some old songs are play backwards).

Wordsmith said:
And she got herself a Portable CD player? WTF? If you showed her an MP3 player she'd prolly be like WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?

I have yet to see someone with a cellphone, I mean, I bought mine for about 20 bucks (plus S&H), I added an (internal) memory card and voila, mp3 player with 2gbytes space for songs, why none of the girls have one similar (or better), they can travel to a near city (like in a recent episode of nagi no asakura) or order one from the jungle (I bet that good for nothing teacher has a pc/tablet and a credit card).

I am really curious what pose Hotarun asked from Komari that she declined *can't help but think something mildly lewd* Komari's Yuri radar is fubar, any other girl would feel goosebumps from those hungry eyes looking at them.
Nov 25, 2013 7:22 PM

Nov 2012
Classical music?Love Komari's face.
http://imgur.com/YrNEVXp

Komari with a ponytail,too cute :3.
http://imgur.com/cyPp8Ac

"My love story is...nuh."

Hotaru's eyes...
http://imgur.com/KMJNMfS
http://imgur.com/bap3U1p
Love how Komari tried to out do Hotaru in maturity only to fail everytime.

Dat Kawaii pose.
http://imgur.com/qBgt9OT

Ren-chon's drawing of Komari,perfect.
http://imgur.com/lCxzmLz

Almost got a word out of Suguru.Who was cool playing the guitar btw.

Cultural festival attempt(based on title of next episode) and nekomimi Hotaru and Ren-chon,can't wait.
Nov 25, 2013 7:39 PM
Jul 2013
No yuri-goggles needed? xD
Nov 25, 2013 7:52 PM

Apr 2013
"That's all for today."
Again that scene got me.
Nov 25, 2013 7:57 PM

Apr 2012
Lol, Hotaru got hit by one of senpai's vegetables:

"That's all for today" Glad they change the chars who're closing the ep ^^

Nov 25, 2013 8:42 PM

Aug 2013
EphidelAMV said:
No yuri-goggles needed? xD

That Hotarun love-gaze overloaded mine XD!! Goodness the potential for doujinshi is just overwhelming lmao.

Ren-chon = child prodigy confirmed. That awesome sketch of Komari was just normal and unartistic XD Now I'm convinced she really was talking about String Theory during the last episode.

Those toy plane thingys remind me so much of childhood. Ahh..the wonders of non-mechanical toys haha. Ren-chon being the bigger person while Koma-chan was acting like a kid :D

When Suguru stopped playing the guitar, I thought we were finally going to hear him speak. Lolnope says Konomi XD!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 25, 2013 9:12 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow Renge's art skills are amazing :O I wonder the first version she drew looked like.

And that nostalgia. I've made dried persimmons before, but it's been so long that I forgot about it. And coincidentally I was just eating a persimmon ^^
Nov 25, 2013 9:41 PM
Nov 25, 2013 9:42 PM

Sep 2013
Guitar solo XD

The ending was awesome.

Felt lacking compared to previous episodes I didn't laugh as much :(
Nov 25, 2013 9:49 PM

Feb 2012
I actually thought the brother was mute. How does he afford an electric guitar + amp when his sister can barely afford an outdated cd player?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 25, 2013 9:52 PM
Apr 2012
Another good episode. Mmmmm persimmons! Never had dried ones before though, maybe even make my own!
Nov 25, 2013 11:40 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode as always.
Really impressive artwork
Nov 26, 2013 12:16 AM

Nov 2011
This was a good episode once again xD I didn't find it as funny as the rest but it still was pretty good :D
Nov 26, 2013 12:43 AM

Sep 2012
Amazing episode to make fun of Koma-chan (in a good way) lol

And the scenery in fall season is so gorgeously presented.

Also this episode reminds me of one thing I really love about this series: How skilful it uses static cut or silent scene - there is always the risk of people complaining about laziness or sloppiness when static cuts or silent scenes but the 5 second of static cut when Koma-chan was asked about classical music, and the 17 second or so silent scenes when everyone waited for Koma-chan to talk about her romance past, not only does not feel wasted but actually convey the awkward mood and embarrassment of Koma-chan so well. This is the same as the scene which I called "the best 1 minute static cut ever in anime" (ok it is an exaggeration I admit) for the close-up of Renchon when she learned the buddy she got so close over the summer was gone out of a sudden. It took a bit of courage to use such technique but I think this series used it really well.
symbvNov 26, 2013 12:59 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 26, 2013 5:40 AM

May 2012
symbv said:
Amazing episode to make fun of Koma-chan (in a good way) lol

And the scenery in fall season is so gorgeously presented.

Also this episode reminds me of one thing I really love about this series: How skilful it uses static cut or silent scene - there is always the risk of people complaining about laziness or sloppiness when static cuts or silent scenes but the 5 second of static cut when Koma-chan was asked about classical music, and the 17 second or so silent scenes when everyone waited for Koma-chan to talk about her romance past, not only does not feel wasted but actually convey the awkward mood and embarrassment of Koma-chan so well. This is the same as the scene which I called "the best 1 minute static cut ever in anime" (ok it is an exaggeration I admit) for the close-up of Renchon when she learned the buddy she got so close over the summer was gone out of a sudden. It took a bit of courage to use such technique but I think this series used it really well.

I agree with how most episodes handled it, but that Ren-chon one to me just felt way too long. Every other still scene I've found was handled really well.
Nov 26, 2013 5:46 AM

Apr 2013
Brace yourselves, we hit the yuri point.

This anime is sooo relaxing. Fall is my favorite season, and watching this ep gave me a really nice feeling. Yep.
Nov 26, 2013 5:55 AM

Sep 2012
vampko said:

I agree with how most episodes handled it, but that Ren-chon one to me just felt way too long. Every other still scene I've found was handled really well.
I did not feel long though because I could see how the fact that her new found friend had left really took time to sink in and how it took time for the shock to be turned into sorrow, and how it took time for her to lose control of holding her tears back. In my view, Renchon is not a kid who cries easily. Even when she fell on the ground and scraped her knees (in the previous episode) she acted calmly without even showing any likelihood that she wants to cry. So I think the time it took for Renchon to really get to the point of shedding tears is very realistic, and spending this much time (I counted at least 1min15sec) in an episode that is barely 24 min long is quite daring, and I think the effect is pretty awesome and powerful.

Anyway, more about this episode: I love the word play of "douyou" which Hotaru meant to mean 童謡 Children's rhymes but Komari mistook it as 動揺 "being unsure of herself".

And the new image of Komari and her sister introducing the ED is just nice.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 26, 2013 6:14 AM

Dec 2011
symbv said:

Anyway, more about this episode: I love the word play of "douyou" which Hotaru meant to mean 童謡 Children's rhymes but Komari mistook it as 動揺 "being unsure of herself".

I missed that. Then again neither are words I'm particularly familiar with.

Note to self: need to get better at Japanese so I can catch these things more often.
Nov 26, 2013 7:31 AM

Nov 2012
such a beautiful episode <3 really captured the autumn feeling.
and it was nice seeing more of koma-chan c:
Nov 26, 2013 7:36 AM

Apr 2010
Komari being insecure about her age and looks was funny to watch especially how she is trying to act older but failing horribly at it.
I like her personality tho it's very understandable how she is feeling and i think it's something many kids experienced when they start reaching puberty , well growing up goes at it's own pace for everyone.
And there even some adults that have not fully grown up yet so it's nothing to worry about.

The new girls seems a bit older then the other but not much, i wonder why she showed up only now tho.
Nov 26, 2013 7:48 AM
Oct 2010
kickmesign said:
I actually thought the brother was mute. How does he afford an electric guitar + amp when his sister can barely afford an outdated cd player?
Maybe he sells anime figurines. XD
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Nov 26, 2013 7:57 AM

Sep 2012
kickmesign said:
I just checked and found that his guitar is a Brain May Guitar Red Special
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/ikebe/ol_brianmay_red-spl/?scid=af_pc_link_txt&sc2id=302817414
A new one costs 80000 yen !! Assuming he bought a second-hand it will still be around 40k yen I suppose.

As for her sister "can barely afford an outdated cd player"... Hmm... problem is she was not even aware it was outdated. Perhaps she got doped into buying it after being convinced that it is the latest technology lol

Nov 26, 2013 8:17 AM

May 2010
Komari tried to act like an adult but failed regardless haha. It's you she loves, Hotaru xD

Autumn, beautiful autumn, non non biyori's autumn's gorgeousness! Ren-chan is a genius at art, isn't she

Damn it, Konomi he was going to speak; silent-kun was going to speak you know! Poor Komari, not really her day...

Fabulousness as always
Nov 26, 2013 8:35 AM

Aug 2013
symbv said:

The staff could have easily just made Koma-chan get all flustered or act like a stuttering kid but skillfully using static cuts just cranked up the awkwardness to a new level. It was hilarious but at the same time you can't help but feel sorry for her. Kind of made me want to pat her head haha ^^
Was Ren-chon's close up really a minute long? Wow didn't realize that. But then again I was busy thinking "is she going to cry? No she's a tough kid...oh wait no...no don't cry! Oh no she cried :( " And I'm pretty sure the thousands who watched that episode thought the same too.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 26, 2013 8:36 AM

Dec 2011
symbv said:

As for her sister "can barely afford an outdated cd player"... Hmm... problem is she was not even aware it was outdated. Perhaps she got doped into buying it after being convinced that it is the latest technology lol

If they're rich then the question just switches to being "how do they make so much money?"
I doubt Japanese farmers are particularly rich, even with them so heavily protected by Japan's trade policies.

Then again, there must be something else going on in this place. Otherwise why would Hotaru's parents have moved there for work?

TragicRomance said:
Ren-chan is a genius at art, isn't she

Ren-chon is a genius at just about everything it seems.
Nov 26, 2013 8:43 AM

Apr 2011
Whoa! Ren-chon can draw! We got a future mangaka here folks!

Yes! New girl!

Koma-chan is still as adorable as ever. And Hotaru is as pretty as ever.

The compact CD players were kinda popular decade ago. Now, people are using now using mp3 players listening to their mobile gadgets. Time flies fast.

Ha. I played with those toy airplanes back in elementary. It was fun. Made me feel nostalgic.
Nov 26, 2013 9:02 AM

May 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
symbv said:

If they're rich then the question just switches to being "how do they make so much money?"
I doubt Japanese farmers are particularly rich, even with them so heavily protected by Japan's trade policies.

Then again, there must be something else going on in this place. Otherwise why would Hotaru's parents have moved there for work?

TragicRomance said:
Ren-chan is a genius at art, isn't she

Ren-chon is a genius at just about everything it seems.

I feel like she's also noticed Hotarun's feelings for Komari too.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2013

263 by Lowsttt14 »»
Mar 30, 10:52 PM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2013

234 by bassyey »»
Mar 2, 7:01 PM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2013

192 by Shikkakku »»
Jan 12, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2013

261 by edudddu »»
Jan 11, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Non Non Biyori Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2013

157 by Shikkakku »»
Jan 11, 2:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.