Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 22, 2013 2:44 PM

May 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh boy that sure was interesting so not by sucking the life forms out of them but he's created out of those cells! Damn that sure is some great development!

I did not expect him to be also created by Dr.Gero but well lets see what's next as this sure is getting good!
Dec 4, 2013 1:34 PM
Sep 2010
Another artificial human...he doesn't even look human. The situation is getting more and more grim.
Uploader53
Jan 1, 2014 1:24 PM

Apr 2010
Poor Future Trunks :(

Hang on, so which Future Trunks is this? Is this the same one who just didn't go home yet?
KitaTsukiJan 1, 2014 1:35 PM

Jan 2, 2014 2:16 AM

Jun 2009
KitaTsuki said:
Poor Future Trunks :(

Hang on, so which Future Trunks is this? Is this the same one who just didn't go home yet?

You'll see. There's an episode at the end of the cell saga where

Time travel is confusing shit, mang. DBZ uses the Many worlds interpretation rather than a single timeline, which is why changing shit in the future doesn't effect the past (like, for example, Back to the Future). To answer your question, yes it is the same Trunks but because of the way time travel is thought to work, the Trunks that Cell killed was the first Trunks in the cycle. Every Trunks that goes forward in time (after returning from present day) from now on to
will kill Cell. If Cell kept his mouth shut, the cycle probably would have repeated infinitely. Although due to the many worlds interpretation, it might not have. As I said, confusing shit.

At least that's how I think it works.

EDIT: There's a Dragon Ball Kai special that deals with Future Trunks going back to his timeline to deal with the androids: http://myanimelist.net/anime/11359/Dragon_Ball_Kai:_Mirai_ni_Heiwa_wo!_Goku_no_Tamashii_yo_Towa_ni - It's pretty much the same thing it's just the DBZ version doesn't have a separate entry on MAL.

EDIT 2: Here's the actual episode: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Free_the_Future
loghneckbeardJan 2, 2014 11:26 PM
Feb 12, 2014 5:14 PM

Oct 2009
It has taken Cell four years to change from an egg, not three. Unless he was hanging around for an year and Kami-sama somehow knew about that

The villain blabbing out all his secrets and evil plans when he thinks that his opponent is all but defeated... So clique. Not that I'm complaining, though

Tyestor said:
which is why changing shit in the future doesn't effect the past (like, for example, Back to the Future).

Maybe you mean changing the past doesn't affect the future?

Tyestor said:
As I said, confusing shit.

I like this idea DBZ uses. It's more realistic this way, a single timeline conception always confused me because of its self-contradictoriness
SerhiykoFeb 15, 2014 3:46 AM
Feb 16, 2014 12:59 PM

Dec 2013
So this is the mighty Cell I have heard so many people mention. I fucking hate villains that have energy draining powers. It is just evil. And I don't understand how Cell would be able to drain the other two android's power when they are fucking robots, not flesh. Whatever. I know it will probably happen anyway.
Feb 16, 2014 3:49 PM

Oct 2009
KyouMagichi said:
And I don't understand how Cell would be able to drain the other two android's power when they are fucking robots, not flesh.

They are not completely robots, Artificial Humans No. 17 and No. 18 are human-based. Have you forgotten already what they were saying in episode 134? Here's the conversation:
episode said:
- You understand, don't you, No. 16? You were constructed from a human male, weren't you?
- No. I was constructed from nothing.
- You aren't human-based?
- He's fundamentally different from us.
* That's strange. If Doctor Gero had the technical skills to build an Artificial Human from nothing, why did he go back in the direction of building them from a human base? *

You will also get some insight into their construction at the end of episode 145

KitaTsuki said:

I think he went home and came to the past again
SerhiykoAug 31, 2017 10:17 AM
Apr 21, 2016 8:38 PM

Aug 2013
Cell sure likes talk, did the computer install an instinctual desire to burst out with some monologing.
Jul 22, 2016 7:50 AM

Feb 2016
Nice episode. Got info on the mysterious foe whom we can now put a name too, Cell.

Trunks and Krillin... cmon. Pick up the pace. Shouldn't you have picked up Piccolo's energy dropping? :/

So according to Android 16... Piccolo is strong as 17 now. So then Cell.... oh dear ._.

Really need Goku >_>

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Jul 31, 2016 2:37 PM

Sep 2013
So now we know who Cell is and why he has Z Warrior Ki. I can't wait for him to show that arrogant Android 18 what's what!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
May 26, 2018 4:43 PM

Nov 2017
That was an interesting backstory to Cell, and a great example of how villains spill their plans to the protagonist in almost every story.

Now Piccolo just needs to use telepathy to reach Trunks or Krillin (maybe even Gohan if he can reach that far) and tell them to destroy Cell's computer. I wonder if Android 17 will work with the Z warriors temporarily to destroy Cell.
You can't miss something until it's gone.
Apr 11, 2019 4:05 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Oh wow mighty Cell is in tha house.
This is gonna be ... epic and long and ... he is insane strong D:

Sep 27, 2019 1:09 PM

Jul 2008
Time travel is confusing.
Jan 22, 2020 3:17 AM

Mar 2010
Very interesting episode on how Cell was created. Although it's not entirely sure from which exact data (time) all the Cells were taken. Most probably from a weaker stage of the Z Fighters. Dr. Gero is dead but surprises us all the time.

About the Time Travel if you understood it's not that hard.

What we saw:
- Future Trunks came to inform Z Fighters about Androids (3 years ago referring to current time)
- Future Trunks went back into the Future, then came back to the the current time when Androids arrived.

- In the Future of our timeline Trunks would have gone back to the Future again (and wipe out the Androids because they are weaker in his Future remember).
- After this Trunks wanted to return to the past to inform the others that he killed the Androids in the Future.
- But he gets killed by Cell instead, who then takes the time machine and goes back 4 years prior to the current time that takes place in what we see in DBZ.
- In these 4 years Cell developed and now we see the result

And why Cell wanted to go back to the past is because he wanted to absorb the Androids to reach his ultimate form, because they were dead/destroyed in his Future timeline.

VoelJan 22, 2020 3:20 AM
Aug 16, 2020 4:03 PM
Jul 2018
So this is the entire backstory of the creature known as Cell. I admit I am a bit confused as to the whole timeline. I take it that there are multiple worlds instead of a singular timeline. That's convenient if anything. So what happened in one world is that Trunks went back to the future to defeat the Androids. After achieving his quest, he wanted to go back to the past again to inform the Z Fighters of his accomplishment only to get ambushed and killed by the ambitious Cell. These events occurred 4 years ago, and the contradictions are made plausible due to the multiple worlds theory. That's my take into the whole complex situation, anyways.
Oct 6, 2020 1:35 PM
May 2019
So as it turns out, Cell is an artificial human, as well as an amalgamation of several of the Z fighters, as well as Frieza and his father, Cold. That would explain why he has several of the z fighters' abilities, as well as to why he is even more powerful than the androids created by Dr. Gero himself.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 117 Discussion

KitaTsuki - May 13, 2013

17 by GeoRush »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 12 Discussion

Yokurama - Feb 13, 2008

15 by Dumb »»
Today, 1:06 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 291 Discussion

Pokedude97 - Jul 27, 2008

46 by satyabrata900 »»
Apr 21, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 230 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 24, 2013

12 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 19, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Episode 227 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Nov 24, 2013

10 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 18, 4:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.