How would you rate this anime?
Nov 22, 2013 6:30 AM

Nov 2008
Spotlight Anime: Uchouten Kazoku

MAL Series Information Page - Uchouten Kazoku

Score: 8.14 (scored by 9235 users)
Ranked: #333
Popularity: #909

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the series that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticize and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Uchouten Kazoku was inducted into the club Anime list:
33 Yes - 80.5%
8 No - 19.5%

50 Don't know this anime - 52.6% of the total number polled
4 Abstained - 4.2% of the total number polled

Challenge You Decide results:

Uchouten Kazoku (Anime) (02/07/17)
- Yes: 17
- No: 2
- I haven't watched this anime: 23
~ Abstained: 3
~ Ineligible: 0

Successfully challenged (Blue N challenge result) - 89%
TruePeinSep 1, 2017 11:46 PM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 25, 2013 3:15 PM

May 2012
just kidding

mostly not kidding anymore but oh god i need to proofread more carefully
yuridiceNov 25, 2013 3:35 PM

[color=#f3e7dd]join the quietly discursive at quiet discourse
Nov 25, 2013 3:35 PM

Jul 2013
The pacing and the lack of motivation by some characters lead me to dislike it. For example, the older brother was like, "Uhhh I have all these problems but I'm a running away from my family and society by being a frog. Since I'm a useless frog their problems don't really matter." He did man up in the end so I'll give him points for that.

My main gripe is that the plot didn't move until the last few episodes. Character development and establishment of relationships is great. However, in a short series such as this, 9 episodes is too long to dangle me by a thread. I'm like, "I get it Eccentric Family, now let's see what you're going to do with what you built up." The final episodes did wrap things up nicely but by that point I was not a happy camper with this series.
Nov 25, 2013 4:03 PM

Apr 2008
Nagisa33 said:
The pacing and the lack of motivation by some characters lead me to dislike it. For example, the older brother was like, "Uhhh I have all these problems but I'm a running away from my family and society by being a frog. Since I'm a useless frog their problems don't really matter." He did man up in the end so I'll give him points for that.

My main gripe is that the plot didn't move until the last few episodes. Character development and establishment of relationships is great. However, in a short series such as this, 9 episodes is too long to dangle me by a thread. I'm like, "I get it Eccentric Family, now let's see what you're going to do with what you built up." The final episodes did wrap things up nicely but by that point I was not a happy camper with this series.

This is a really narrow-minded assessment of the entire series. You've horribly simplified Yajirou's character by painting him as some angst-ridden individual despite the fact that Uchouten Kazoku really took the time to gradually reveal the source of his misery. While there were a couple of dramatic scenes that showed him wallowing in despair, they were justified by context. I also like how you only gave him credit for "manning up" at the end, as if that sort of development is a necessity that every type of character needs to go through to have merit.

In response to your point about the pacing of the series, it should have been clear from the get-go that Uchouten Kazoku was more of a slice of life series as opposed to one driven by plot events. Saying that the first 9 episodes were worthless just because the climax only took place in the last 3 or 4 is just absurd. The first half of the series was much more focused on providing exposition towards the setting, tanuki/tengu culture and gradually introducing the complex web of character relationships. You are not offering any form of constructive criticism towards the show by saying this stuff, rather, you're just basing this off your personal expectations for what you would've liked the series to be like.

Anyhow, to offer some points in Uchouten Kazoku's defense, I'm going to link one of my old blog posts which addresses the show's strengths in storytelling, exposition and drama: http://moe-alternative.net/?p=7209
Don_Don_KunNov 25, 2013 4:12 PM

Nov 25, 2013 6:57 PM

Jul 2013
Can't I dislike a show for these reasons? Lackluster parts can take away from the experience as a whole. Pacing and character motivations are a a big part of a show and I found these aspects lacking.

I never said the first 9 episodes were worthless. On the contrary I said "Character development and establishment of relationships is great."

About Benten:
I have no clue why everyone is afraid of Benten. What can she actually do besides talk a mean game? Everyone lays down like a wet doormat to Benten’s every whim. Is it because she’s a human and the human race now holds power in Japan? Is it because she has the inside scoop on the characters? The power that people perceive she holds is disproportionate her actual power. What’s to be afraid of? This wasn't explored yet it was a key part of the show's conflict. They also made no indication as to why she wanted to have control or what she would gain from it.

She was taken by a tengu but it was vague on what actually happened. The show didn't explore this further. Are we supposed to assume that from this event, she became a manipulative person? I'm not getting the motivation just from this one scene.

The passivity of Yasaburo got to me as well. This is from a post that I agree with:
"Yasaburo says he’s sad that his dad was eaten, but he says it with such an unemotional voice and is fairly content chatting to the guy who ate him. I struggle to believe that he feels anything. I get that there’s supposed to be a conflict of emotions within him, but from his actions I’m not seeing that conflict. The two sides are canceling each other out leaving this character who remains blank throughout his scenes."

Wouldn't you normally get mad at the man who ate your father and caused your family to be troubled? Also, what's with the professor saying he loves animals so much that he wants to eat them? How does that make any sense? How do you love something so much that you want to destroy it? That's another motivation that I didn't understand.
Nov 25, 2013 8:19 PM
Lewd Connoisseur

Nov 2011
Also, what's with the professor saying he loves animals so much that he wants to eat them? How does that make any sense? How do you love something so much that you want to destroy it? That's another motivation that I didn't understand.
Wasn't that the other way around? That he doesn't mind if a Tengu eats him because that way he's helping out that animal's nourishment so it won't starve to death. I hope I have that right.
Nov 25, 2013 8:56 PM

Jul 2013
Gonzo-kun said:
Also, what's with the professor saying he loves animals so much that he wants to eat them? How does that make any sense? How do you love something so much that you want to destroy it? That's another motivation that I didn't understand.
Wasn't that the other way around? That he doesn't mind if a Tengu eats him because that way he's helping out that animal's nourishment so it won't starve to death. I hope I have that right.

That's not it though he does talk about hating being eaten by bears. He doesn't know of Tengu and Tanuki until later. The guy who ate Yasaburo's dad was a part of the Friday Fellows. Every year they throw a party and eat Tanuki hot pot.

This is from crunchyroll. He said, "I would hate it too if I get chomped head-first by a bear or wolf. Anybody would hate that. But if I'm going to be eaten, I want to eat. I feel bad for them but I like tanuki so much that I want to eat them up. This isn't limited to tanuki. I will eat all the cutie-patooties. It's a pity but so scrumptious. A fine contradiction wouldn't you say? That is to say, love! I'm not entirely sure, but probably love, right? Must be love."

He's even confused with his own reasoning.
Nov 25, 2013 10:17 PM

Apr 2008
For sure, you're entitled to dislike a show for whatever reasons. I never forbade you from doing so. It's just that when you oversimplify elements of the show or leave out key plot elements in order to form a critique, it gives a very skewed view of Uchouten Kazkou's entire picture.

On Benten, I really don't understand what there isn't to get about why all the tanuki fear her. The show made it painfully apparent the level of power she possesses (granted to her by the tengus once she ascended their ranks), which coupled with her looks gave her the reputation of being a femme fatale. What I liked about Benten's character was that while a lot of it was left shrouded in mystery, there were still plenty of suggestions made so that one could understand her personal issues. For example, the way she would continuously flirt with Yasaburou was a tell-tale sign that there was still a part of her stuck in the past; that there was still something she longed for, despite reaching, what many would consider, to be the top of human/tengu society. Of course, what made the exposition of Benten's character effective was the graceful use of realistic dialogue and body language. In this case, showing rather than just telling proved to be successful as Benten retained an air of mystery throughout, yet we slowly learned more and more about her as the web of characters expanded.

With respect to Yasaburou's "passivity", I really didn't see it that way at all. You have to remember that his father died when he was younger, and he didn't have the same sort of relationship with his pops that Yachirou and Yajirou did. That's not to say he wasn't affected by the death of his father, rather, his personal method of dealing with that stress was to lose himself in the excitement of everyday life. However, Yasaburou was anything but removed from reality, as it was shown through the closeness with his remaining family that he still cared greatly for their well-being. He was always there to support the others when they began grieving over the death of their father, and looked out for them when the going got tough. Again, his actions spoke louder than words, which is what I loved about the portrayal of his emotional response (unlike so many bad dramas, which literally have characters monologue out loud exactly what they're feeling, even when nobody is around).

The professor's speech about honouring the tanuki he loves so much was meant to be contradictory in nature; he even admits this in the quote you linked. It just coneys how conflicted his love is, and that's great - because that means there's more to his character than just being a walking proverb book. A great deal of the cast in Uchouten Kazoku is complex because they think, behave and stumble through life (sometimes not knowing the answers to things) the way regular people do. And this is true the beauty of the show.

It saddens me at how many people out there have dismissed Uchouten Kazoku because they felt it took too long to get going or was vague about details. To that, I would urge those people to give this show a second chance or a rewatch, as it is one of the most compelling displays of family drama that we've been given in recent years.

I still feel as though I haven't done this series proper justice, so I should hopefully have a review up later in the week. As for now, I'm definitely voting "yes" on this one.

Nov 26, 2013 6:25 AM

Dec 2007
This anime did not interest me when I was watching it. At all. I watched it with such level of attention that I don't know what are you talking about in this thread.

A series that does not keep me interested is an automatic no.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Nov 26, 2013 9:30 AM

Jan 2010
If you weren't paying attention during the show did you even really "watch" it?
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Nov 26, 2013 9:39 AM

Dec 2007
I did, I was just talking with you guys on irc at the same time. That's what everyone does, right? At least for the really bad series? Or cooking at the same time? It's not like I was reading a book while watching it.

Well, I do it with really good series too, when they don't pick my interest. :3

inb4 drop it, I don't drop, I never did and I never will.
Nov 26, 2013 10:11 AM

Jan 2010
I'm just saying that if you literally admit you weren't paying attention and can't remember big details like the family's relationship with the father and Benten's power then it is kind of disrespectful to the show to cast a vote.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Nov 26, 2013 10:44 AM

Sep 2011
ladyxzeus said:
It's not like I was reading a book while watching it.

If I was cooking while watching a show I wouldn't say I watched it. If you aren't really paying attention to something it's going to be hard to give it any sort of merit.
Nov 27, 2013 2:09 AM

Dec 2007
The genesis of the question is that the anime failed on it's basic premise: to entertain. The way I watched it has nothing to do with that.

Sometimes we forget why anime exists after all.
Nov 27, 2013 3:49 AM

Mar 2011
ladyxzeus said:
The genesis of the question is that the anime failed on it's basic premise: to entertain. The way I watched it has nothing to do with that.

Sometimes we forget why anime exists after all.

If I turn on a show in another room then leave, I will not be entertained and will be justified in voting no

More seriously, isn't this functionally equivalent to saying you dropped it at episode 1, which means you can't cast a vote? I get not being entertained by something, but I think side-screening something as complex as Uchouten Kazoku, where every bit of movement and dialogue is relevant, is a lot like not watching it at all.
Nov 27, 2013 4:29 AM

Dec 2007
Before this turns into a fight, let me explain:

Like most females, I have the ability of doing a lot of stuff at the same time. At this moment I'm writing this message, considering the next step of my work project, and talking with people on facebook. It's simple, it's natural. When I sidescreen a series I usually see what is going on. I'm actually watching it, just doing a bunch of stuff at the same time because, at some moment, I considered that it did not require any attention to follow. Sometimes I make mistakes on my evaluation, but somehow I always grasp the sense of the story, the way it follows and I can form an opinion based on the general figures. These mistakes are not very common, to be honest, but they happen because we're all humans. My criteria for watching it without caring is based in two points 1) it's a complex series or not; 2) it's entertaining to watch. If the series meets one of this requirements I'll spend the next 20 minutes fully focused on it (with the eventual break to send a kiss to my bf, can be done, right?) But, alas, sometimes we think stuff is simple and then we realize that it's not, which is the case of this anime.

On this specific case, I was taken aback by the art on the first few episodes and by the main character. They annoyed me very much, so I could not give a chance to it even though later in the game I understood that the series had a bit more complexity into it. I got lost because there were many characters with unclear positions towards each other and that would probably have happened even if I did not sidescreen the series. Because I'm a dumb girl, you see, and I did not want to make a mental effort to put the pieces together when I did not like the art and was annoyed by the main character. This is all because I watch anime to relax and blank my mind for a while. Of course that if the series admits at the beggining that it will require me to think a lot about it, I make my preparations, get a nice tea, smoke a cigarette and then watch it and enjoy it or not. Uchouten started as a mind-blank series and then it decided that it wanted me to focus. By the time I understood focus would be required, I did not care about the series anymore, by the reasons pointed before.

This is all to explain something very simple: it's not a case of *not watching*, it's a case of *watching and not caring*. I suppose the defense force is very offended that I watched the series without caring any bit about it, because it's so complex and deep and whatever you say, but the truth is that if the series was interesting I would have thought twice and gone back to rewatch the parts I did not understand. I think that I know myself better than you guys.

On the nice parts, I liked the music and later the art grew into me because of the soft colours. The story, thought, was irrelevant, did not cativate me (does this word exist in english?)

No the debate is whether we should vote no on something we disliked regardless of quality. On this case, I think I'll keep my position, because if something did not meet the basic requirement (make me pass 20 nice minutes, whether focused or not) it can't be that good. At most I'll change to "Abstain". But never to "I don't know". Because I know it. Just not as well as you.

We can keep the discussion on irc, even though my time there is limited nowadays. Over here I think it will be a bit useless, because it will be you "hitting on the same key" and me doing it as well. A sterile debate, this will become.

Edit: Also, my score on the poll is the 6. Thought it would be better to clarify that I gave it an average, which means that all things added it was not terrible at all.
ladyxzeusNov 27, 2013 4:33 AM
Nov 27, 2013 4:59 AM

Sep 2009
ladyxzeus said:
Before this turns into a fight, let me explain:

OK, sure, I'll hear you ou-

ladyxzeus said:
Like most females, I have the ability of doing a lot of stuff at the same time.
Get out.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.