Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 23, 2013 8:24 PM
Aug 2013
pakoko said:
Felt like a filler episode to me, especially first half of the show that basically just summarized again how the family came about. And then the second half was mostly from episode 0, which we've all seen three times already. There was a but a brief explanation about Koto's hammer, but nothing much besides that.

But the show is being adapted for people who never saw the ONAs. And the plot has actually been changed in several ways. Didn't feel like filler to me at all. I learned new things, and got to see a revamped portion of the original OVA that was probably one of my favorites. I loved this episode.
Nov 23, 2013 8:28 PM
Aug 2013
Akanezora said:
Oh, shota kiss was awkward.

But it was hardly a kiss.
Nov 23, 2013 11:26 PM

Jun 2013
Spixii said:

But the show is being adapted for people who never saw the ONAs. And the plot has actually been changed in several ways. Didn't feel like filler to me at all. I learned new things, and got to see a revamped portion of the original OVA that was probably one of my favorites. I loved this episode.

Well you have your opinions. But let me make myself clear that I said the episode was "filler-like" as a fan who watched the ONA and the 2012 OVAs. So for newcomers, this episode probably didn't feel like a filler at all. But let me try and talk a little about why this episode felt "filler-like" for a fan like me.

The first half: I know what they were trying to do. Like you said, this series is being adapted for people who never saw the ONA and the 5 episode OVA. So I loved how they were incorporating everything from the past into one coherent storyline and making it as straightforward as possible for both fans and newcomers. But the fifth OVA in the 2012 series almost became unnecessary because episode 1 of the 2103 series explored the subject of how the family got to be and how they abruptly broke up pretty well. Not exactly unnecessary, but them putting the whole fifth OVA into this episode, to fans like me, seemed almost like they were trying to force the fifth OVA in somewhere into the already straightforward storyline. So this episode felt like a filler because the whole montage of how the family started and ended seemed unnecessary.

But I do admit that I was quick to judge that there weren't many new things, when some of the new parts explained the significance of the pomegranate and the reason behind immortality of Myoue. So I agree with you when you said you learned new things, because I did too.

Second half: From this half, I learned a little about Kurama's plan, although the anime explored it less thoroughly than I wanted it to. Getting back to the point, though, again as a fan who watched the ONA and episode 00 of the 2013 series, the repetition of the fight scene just bothered me because they haven't exactly shown us attempts at animating new fighting scenes. I would have appreciated if they actually reformed the fight a bit and made it more... "2013" in terms of quality of animation. So the second half also felt a bit like a filler to fans like me, who had to watch the same fighting scene over and over. But I realized that the ONA and episode 00 were both specials, so I understand the logic behind the regurgitation of the fighting scene because some newcomers might not have seen episode 00 or the ONA.

Anyway yeah, sorry for the tl;dr response. This is in no way to start up an argument. I simply gave you a thorough answer as to why I felt this episode felt like a filler for a fan like me.
Nov 24, 2013 10:13 AM

Jul 2012
Liked this episode. A lot better than how they executed it in the OVAs. Absolutely stunning world building and art.
Nov 24, 2013 10:40 AM
Jan 2010
10/10 AotS
Nov 24, 2013 8:34 PM

Dec 2011
pakoko said:
VioLink said:

They had to repeat the scenes to show us how they put the puzzle pieces together (which new scenes leads to things we saw the the ONA) they couldn't just skip it. They've been doing this since episode one and I for one give them all of my praise for it and see no need for excuses of any sort.

Yeah I totally agree. Don't get me wrong. I actually love this series because they "put the puzzle pieces together" by incorporating all the past OVAs into one coherent story timeline. I only added to Reaper71's point because the show is undoubtedly reusing almost 100% of the old stuff and so the quality of the 2012 version carries over, without any hint of trying to enhance the quality from a year ago (it's literally copy and paste with a couple of cuts and edits here and there). So whether I love this show or not, you can't really argue that the production company has yet to give us a full episode that has 0% trace of the 2012 OVAs and something completely new. But since they basically used up all the past material, that's why I said "they have no excuse" to give use something new in the coming episodes.

Again, don't get me wrong, this is my favorite anime of Fall 2013 and probably one of my favorites of all time.

It does take money though to re-animating scenes.. So since they were eventually going to reshow the scenes in order to piece everything together then they might of as well reuse them and save budget for original material.. It would've been nice to see the quality animation it usually has but reusing it didn't really get int the way of much..
Nov 25, 2013 12:36 AM

Jan 2013
Broken-glass effects in OP got more detailed.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Nov 25, 2013 2:54 PM

Sep 2011
tytheimmortal said:
10/10 AotS

Aots?

anime of the second?

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 25, 2013 3:03 PM

Sep 2012
JizzyHitler said:
tytheimmortal said:
10/10 AotS

Aots?

anime of the second?

Of the season.
Nov 25, 2013 3:04 PM

Sep 2011
Litrydow said:
JizzyHitler said:
tytheimmortal said:
10/10 AotS

Aots?

anime of the second?

Of the season.
derp duh herp I r smart

still i like anime of the second, I can give it to so many things

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 25, 2013 5:25 PM

May 2012
I knew I was going to love this show when I first watched the OVA, and it hasn't disappointed. I was actually crying when Myoue's backstory was being given, it was so intense. Brilliant episode, and it leaves me wanting to see the next one now, even though that's impossible.
Dec 1, 2013 4:08 PM

Feb 2013
I've been waiting all season for an episode like this (closer to chaos in the ONA). That was great!

Hey, what? Time out! :: chomp ::
Dec 1, 2013 9:48 PM

May 2012
07:24 sonna ni shinitai no ka

10:30 Koto doesnt eat?

23:34 OMG

7/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Dec 2, 2013 7:46 PM
Jan 2013
I'm actually slightly confused as to what the fight at the end was all about. Testing how Koto's hammer works, I think it was?

Anyone have some insight?
._.
Dec 2, 2013 7:54 PM

Nov 2011
ProfPepper said:
I'm actually slightly confused as to what the fight at the end was all about. Testing how Koto's hammer works, I think it was?

There is some info in the next episode that sheds a little light on it, but basically they were trying to get their mother (Koto) back to Mirror capital. In this episode Kurama spoke of magnets and how they attract and repel each other. I think they were using the child Koto as a kind of spiritual magnet to attract their mother back home. In episode 7 there are some hints as to why they chose this method exactly.
Dec 7, 2013 4:29 PM

Jun 2012
That was a good ending =D

Dec 15, 2013 1:46 AM

Jun 2011
yes, the ending was lovely looking. this show is so visually stunning. i love all the background places and everything that happened in this episode. i think this episode was particularly good compared to others and i really enjoyed watching it. :3 character development is moving along very smoothly.
Dec 15, 2013 2:42 AM

Dec 2012
heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey I vaguely remember these scenes from the ONA!! ...but I still don't know what's going on. But that's okay because I'm enjoying it!! The combination of confusion and rockin' music makes this a very FLCL-esque experience.
Dec 29, 2013 6:35 PM

Sep 2012
Huh... I suppose, in hindsight, it makes sense that the first place to look for a magical rabbit should be the moon.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Dec 30, 2013 2:11 AM
Mar 2009
Wait...the whole fight scene was pretty much a repeat of episode 0, no?

Wow. Myoue was kind of a dick, the way he just nonchalantly tells Yakushimaru to suck it up and start living again. So he definitely has it the worse out of the three siblings. I guess he still feels as though he should have died on that night.

Can't wait for next episode's giant reunion.
Jan 8, 2014 4:03 PM

Aug 2013
omg D:

<3
セクシーヒップスター
Jan 16, 2014 12:20 PM

May 2012
Awesome episode! Some more backstory and that ending sure was totally epic!
Oct 3, 2014 5:48 PM

Nov 2012
"I can see you at last!"
"Mama?"

That scene with Koto drifting in space and Mama appearing,was so beautiful and feels worthy.

Next time: The Mother Returns and So Does the Father. -This is just perfect,the family is finally going to reunite.
Jan 8, 2015 7:54 PM

Feb 2013
If I remeber correctly it's getting close to where the ONA's ended. I hope it cotines from there. So far they used most if not all of the ONA footage and greatl expanded it. No kiss? Maybe in the next episode.
Feb 2, 2015 12:35 AM

Jun 2014
Wow, Older Myoue was kinda fucking creepy there. The poor kid just wanted to die, and see his family and friends in the afterlife.
I dont think he ever forgave older Myoue for that to be totally honest. He forced him into an immortal life he didn't want.
From the seasons it looks like it took well over a year for him to even interact with Koto and Older Myoue. And still, even hundreds of years later, he just wants to die.
No wonder the dude just looks so sad all the time.
I wonder if he really will die in the end.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Apr 18, 2015 6:21 AM

Nov 2011
Interesting story, very interesting peer into the past of the third child.
Tale pleasant overall, the plot moves quickly but do not rush events that maintain a slow pace and relaxed; i like this.
Drawings and animations good, very catchy soundtrack.
Feb 13, 2016 8:39 PM
Jul 2018
First half was so heartwarmingly cute, the little snippet of Myoue's childhood was nice.
The episode ended splendidly.
Mar 16, 2016 12:37 AM

Mar 2012
Not sure what happened at the end there with the experiment.
Aug 13, 2016 12:30 PM

Sep 2014
Young Myoue's backstory is even worse than I thought! Poor fellow!
Old Myoue might have been good-willed, but damn he was creepy at times.

Interesting ending. Looks like the story will go further than the ONAs.
Oct 13, 2016 7:25 AM

Jun 2011
neontaster said:
Akanezora said:
As always, my favorite anime of the season keeps the throne. The OST is perfect, and this
was utterly brilliant.

They use every chance they get to do something interesting and creative, which is a true sign of a great show.
I thought that scene was genius, it's simple, but so effective, and not many people have attempted as such yet. Love how the series incorporate the visual/animation to the story narrative.

Also really love how the story just comes full circle and makes you go "ah.." as you finally understand the significance of the scenes you didn't understand before.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Dec 2, 2016 7:37 PM

Jun 2014
This episode made it worth rating this show a 6 or 7. Until now it was just pretty visuals, "meh" story, but interesting story telling method.
Apr 30, 2017 3:37 PM

Jun 2013
Wow, now it makes sense why Myoue II asked Koto to kill him.

Koto's personality seems like the most stable mix of their parents. Impulsive like Myoue but also perceptive and empathetic like Koto-sama. I'm not sure exactly where she was transported exactly just now, but it's likely that she crossed over. These are times when I would appreciate verbal exposition, but with this show, being at a loss is half the fun.

I noticed that the decorations in the triumvirate realm look like babies' toys. Makes me think it's another way to suggest that the three siblings still haven't grown up, and that they're grasping at things out of their reach.
Mar 29, 2018 6:11 PM
Jul 2018
I'm feeling weird with this episode
In the ONA Koto doesn't know who her mom is and then usagi koto kiss her
In TV series Koto is happy for meet her mom and then they hug each other
What the heck

Dec 4, 2020 2:09 PM

Aug 2017
It took me a lot of time to realize that Koto in human form still has rabbit ears lol. And she can fly! Oh, and those circles in the OP and ED mirror the color palette of Koto's hammer. Speaking of which, it's name (Aratama) can be translated as "wild soul", which is kinda fitting.

Yakushimaru's fate is pretty cruel, honestly. The second half looks like it's starting to answer some questions while introducing even more of them. I guess the festival had something to do with bringing different worlds together, like the worlds of the living and the worlds of the dead, maybe something related to spirits, etc.

In the ONA Koto doesn't know who her mom is and then usagi koto kiss her
In TV series Koto is happy for meet her mom and then they hug each other

Wow. Haven't watched anything prior to the TV series, but now I will!

I keep seeing that fruit and I am reminded more and more of Mawaru Penguindrum not to mention the HUGE focus on family (blood related or not).

Same thoughts here. Been thinking about that since the fruit was introduced.

Yase calling Myoue "Oedipus" was funny given these characters' backstories. Yakushimaru indeed "married his mother" in the sense of becoming Myoue, who's Koto's husband. Oedipus killed his father, but Myoue rather became his father and wished death upon himself (=upon his father). Genius.

P.S. That weird perspective of Koto sitting in the termple was awesome.

P.P.S. This episode's OP had more cracks in the "windows" then the previous ones. Curious.
St0rmbladeDec 13, 2020 8:05 AM
Apr 13, 2021 4:20 PM

Jul 2016
ProfPepper said:

Yeah I think they wanted to see if Kotos hammer could open the door back to the real world by repelling their own powers.
Jun 22, 2021 8:47 AM

May 2020
This episode was mostly a retread of episode 1 (which itself was based on Ep 5 of the 2012 ONA) and the original 2011 ONA.

It was interesting to see how Yakusihmaru came to be part of the Koto and Myoue family and eventually enjoying it, even though deep down, he's probably still holding on to his traumatic past.

It's also interesting to see how the story has changed from the 2011 ONA. Koto in that story was hell bent on returning home but in this one she's looking for the black rabbit. No kiss between Koto and Koto in this version, which makes me believe they didn't really have all the characters and story fleshed out at that point in production.
Dec 24, 2022 8:50 PM

Apr 2016
The memories of the family and siblings fighting because of mommy issues until Mom finally appears.
Apr 17, 8:42 AM

May 2020
This fight scene is on episode 0, finally another view. Koto meets Koto and call her mama is make me confused.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

136 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2013

66 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2013

61 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:31 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2013

65 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:07 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

80 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 8:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.