Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 18, 2013 3:21 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Edit: Whitelisting is no longer necessary. Form has been discontinued.
XinilJul 7, 2020 11:12 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 18, 2013 4:02 PM

Nov 2007
I'm glad you decided to prepare a proper form for this. The previous send-me-a-PM method didn't provide the necessary data in a structured way, didn't quite scale and I imagine it ended up as a burden on you. Filled it out for my application, now let's see how long it takes.
Nov 18, 2013 4:13 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
We're hoping for 24hr turn around, but I'd expect anywhere between 24-48 hours.
Nov 18, 2013 6:34 PM

Jun 2009
Thank you Xinil.
Nov 21, 2013 3:36 PM

Nov 2007
Just received my unique user-agent string, and it works. Thanks! If anyone's wondering, looks like you need to use it without any addition. Here's some tests that I did:

- "my-unique-string" → Works
- "my-unique-string Taiga/1.0" → Doesn't work
- "Taiga/1.0 my-unique-string" → Doesn't work

P.S: It took 72 hours :p
Nov 22, 2013 11:47 AM
Aug 2012
Saw this today and I've filled out the form for Zenbu :). It's the weekend so hoping to get a response early next week.

Also I'm curious as to how this is meant to be effective? It's pretty easy to use someones API key, especially if the code is open source. Is it just easier to control if you notice one of the keys being abused?
Nov 22, 2013 5:46 PM

Mar 2009
Still waiting to be whitelisted.
Nov 23, 2013 9:42 AM

Nov 2007
Ippytraxx said:
I'm curious as to how this is meant to be effective? It's pretty easy to use someones API key, especially if the code is open source. Is it just easier to control if you notice one of the keys being abused?

While I'm glad that something is being done, that's the elephant in the room: Whitelisting works for web applications as long as they keep their user-agent secret, but it doesn't work for desktop or mobile applications, even if they're not open source or the string is not committed to a public repository, as someone can get it by reverse engineering the software or simply inspecting its HTTP traffic anyway. As a developer, all I can do is to rely on other people's goodwill.
Nov 29, 2013 12:00 PM

Mar 2009
Are the applications still being processed? I still haven't been whitelisted.
Nov 30, 2013 2:07 PM

Feb 2012
LordHighCaptain said:
Are the applications still being processed? I still haven't been whitelisted.

I applied for this today, sort of hoping they're still processing them at all.
I PMed the admin about it when it was first brought up as well.
Jan 6, 2014 11:49 AM
Sep 2011
Sorry, but this form is no longer accepting submissions.

So what do I do now?
Feb 5, 2014 8:26 PM
Feb 2014
The form says no longer accepting applications, is it really not accepting any more applications or does it do that normally?
Feb 6, 2014 5:48 AM
Nov 2012
Hello,
I would like to be whitelisted too but the form doesn't working any more...
Feb 16, 2014 11:56 PM
Feb 2014
psymon75 said:
Hello,

@psymon75

The form is back up! I applied but didn't get any response yet...
Mar 6, 2014 5:10 AM
Nov 2012
rweqx said:
psymon75 said:
Hello,

@psymon75

The form is back up! I applied but didn't get any response yet...

Thanks ! I applied too. How many time have you waited ?
Apr 3, 2014 7:16 AM

May 2008
I'm also waiting, as of a couple of days ago.

Integrating my app with the animenewsnetwork instead for now, but it's less than ideal as MAL's data for manga is considerably better!
Apr 25, 2014 2:29 PM
Apr 2013
Are whitelisting requests still being processed? I'm on a pretty tight deadline where I need to use a live web service API for an application, and I wanted to use MyAnimeList's extensive database. If the API is dead, I will look elsewhere, but I'd rather not wait around too long for an email that will never come. For reference, I submitted my application around 24 hours ago.

Edit: Just got my user-agent! Thanks guys~
metc500Apr 25, 2014 4:13 PM
May 1, 2014 3:13 PM

Dec 2013
Hey, I submitted my request ~72 hours ago and I was just wondering about the state of my application.
May 2, 2014 12:27 PM
Mar 2014
I also Submitted a request a few days back, is whitelisting still availble?
Jul 4, 2014 10:46 AM
Apr 2014
Hi, I submitted my request uhm i think two weeks ago, is whitelisting still availble?
I only need it for my own userscript (private script), atm i am saving the malapinfo xml with my browser on a network drive where a php script can access it and generates the userscript... (which highlights my watching animes at animefreakt.tv/tracker)
Thats a bit annoying because i have to do this every time i edit my list -.-
FarbdoseJul 4, 2014 10:52 AM
Jul 25, 2014 2:15 AM
Mar 2012
Just submitted a request! And erengy, thanks for the format breakdown.
Jul 28, 2014 11:15 AM
Jun 2009
I submitted a request about a week ago and I've yet to get any emails with the details.

Anyone know if new requests are being fulfilled or what's going on? I can't continue developing my program without access to a working API.
Jul 31, 2014 9:22 AM
Mar 2012
I still haven't received mine either.
Mar 16, 2015 8:52 AM

Nov 2011
Is MAL whitelisting broken? I don't get any feedback for about two weeks.
Mar 19, 2015 7:07 AM

Nov 2013
TocoToucan said:
Is MAL whitelisting broken? I don't get any feedback for about two weeks.
It can be a handful of things. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that if you don't get an email back, you didn't meet their requirements for whitelisting. I could be wrong, they may not read the requests anymore.

In any case, Xinil stills seems to be active. So without a doubt he know people are unsatisfied with the wait times.
Apr 1, 2015 2:32 PM
Feb 2012
I'd also be interested in knowing the state of the whitelisting. I applied last week for a website I've been building that could use some MAL API access and there has been no reply as of today.

Any idea why? It's the only reason I haven't opened up my site to the public yet...
Apr 5, 2015 2:08 AM

Nov 2007
Quoting Xinil from some other thread:

Xinil said:
Just a heads up here guys: We're hoping to have a new strategy in place by the end of this month (around the 20th [January 2015] is the goal.) Unfortunately current whitelisting additions and changes are on hold until then. I'm really sorry for the inconveniences!

I think this got postponed among other priorities.
Apr 30, 2015 3:23 PM
Feb 2012
It'd be great if someone could update us on the API whitelisting process... I'd love to finally get http://www.monthly.moe whitelisted...
GravewishApr 30, 2015 3:27 PM
Jun 9, 2015 12:57 PM

Jan 2014
I clicked the link for the MAL thingy, but I don't need to right? Cause I never made an application, although I really want to make a new top about the QnA for MyAnimeList. What do I do?
Alfazeroneko will come back, surely he will be back from the dead :)

Jun 10, 2015 3:09 PM
Feb 2012
So, umm... My current 270+ users of http://www.monthly.moe would absolutely love to be white-listed :)

Any status update on this process? I made the request over 3 months ago.
Jun 19, 2015 6:15 AM

Nov 2007
@LordGravewish Is this still an issue? Last month, when I tried sending some requests without a whitelisted user-agent, they all succeeded. It still works, at least for the search method.

erengy said:
It seems that the API no longer requires clients to provide a whitelisted user-agent. Can anyone else confirm?
Jul 5, 2015 8:31 PM
Feb 2012
erengy said:
@LordGravewish Is this still an issue? Last month, when I tried sending some requests without a whitelisted user-agent, they all succeeded. It still works, at least for the search method.

erengy said:
It seems that the API no longer requires clients to provide a whitelisted user-agent. Can anyone else confirm?

Just double-checked, API requests still fail very frequently without a whitelisted user-agent, at least for Monthly.moe. Though I use it to sync user profiles, so I use malappinfo.php, not search.

I've been using some tricks to avoid that (using a normal, up-to-date browser user-agent, attempting to pretend to be a normal website user by "visiting" another MAL page first, and then sending the Incapsula cookies with the API request seems to help a bit, for example, as well as forcing 30 minutes+ intervals between each request), but it's still a pain in the ass, and everything could be avoided if I could just get white-listed.
GravewishJul 5, 2015 8:38 PM
Jul 7, 2015 8:51 AM

Feb 2012
erengy said:

erengy said:

I tried using the API and it fails for me unless I use it through a browser. It fails for me if I use it with curl or Java. Only going through a looooot of hops can I get it to work and I can't automate them, which makes my site / program kinda pointless and painful to maintain / use.

(I also tried applying for being whitelisted, but nothing happened and am in the process of giving this (https://bitbucket.org/ratan12/atarashii-api) a try as Kineta suggested on IRC. (But it seems less and less fit for my use-case, the more I know about it.))

Jul 7, 2015 8:47 PM
Mar 2015
Reading this I'm starting to worry about getting whitelisted. Does the malappinfo.php ned whitelisting or is there something else happening with it? Does anyone on here know anything about the original issue which was the three months without any word on the whitelist? Should I just look at using another website's api?
Jul 18, 2015 5:37 PM
Feb 2012
pafk said:
Reading this I'm starting to worry about getting whitelisted. Does the malappinfo.php ned whitelisting or is there something else happening with it? Does anyone on here know anything about the original issue which was the three months without any word on the whitelist? Should I just look at using another website's api?

From reports, it seems the official API (search, etc) does not require whitelisting if you don't use it too often, but take this information with a grain of salt as I don't personally use the official API.

However, malappinfo.php is not part of the official API, and from my person experience it needs whitelisting - when not using very complex work-arounds they seem to block almost all my automated requests, even when waiting a few hours between each one.
Jul 18, 2015 5:45 PM

Nov 2007
In case you missed it, here's a relevant discussion:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1403736

Xinil said:
We're working on a better method for developers to get whitelisted/access to our API. My apologies for not responding if you've sent me a message. We hear you and are actively pursuing fixes.

Xinil said:
The whitelist process is being refactored, so unfortunately there's not much good either of those methods will do you today. /malappinfo.php should be whitelisted for all transactions, but scraping is still a problem.
Aug 4, 2015 2:20 AM

Feb 2012
I don't think it's (malappinfo) whitelisted. If it is, then it's not working properly. It's only accessible from browsers. (Try curl and it will return incapsula's iframe instead of the xml.)

Aug 10, 2015 5:55 AM
Mar 2015
Non whitelisted malappinfo is working for me now when I include status and type as post variables (but also as get variables).

Get variables alone is still giving me incapsula though.

EDIT

Nope not working anymore. Incapsula is longer blocking me though, its telling me that its a 400 bad request. Aaaaaaand it gives incapsula again.
pafkAug 10, 2015 6:33 AM
Aug 10, 2015 3:10 PM

May 2011
Pafk, I am having the same thing. If I use the whitelisted user agent, it works. If I use an incorrect or missing user agent, I get the Incapsula page.
Nov 6, 2015 7:04 PM
Jul 2015
Is the api whitelist form still being checked? I submitted a request a little over 2 days ago and still haven't gotten a response :/
Nov 7, 2015 12:05 PM
Mar 2015
asmdz said:
Is the api whitelist form still being checked? I submitted a request a little over 2 days ago and still haven't gotten a response :/

No the form is not being checked, word of g-d is that you no longer need a whitelisted agent. While this appears to be true for api calls the same doesn't appear to be the case for scraping. If all you need is to use the api test it out now, you should likely be able to make the calls. (Just ran my own little code snippet to make sure that I am still able to use the api call and am still not able to make the call to a page not restricted by the robots.txt)
Nov 18, 2015 11:29 AM
Dec 2014
I am starting API development for making a somewhat anime list app on my own for a project, can I get a temporary API key? for testing? Or I have to fill up the form? I'm unsure cause I don't even have a name for my app yet, but I wanted to start coding. Thanks
Dec 13, 2015 9:50 AM

Dec 2012
pokedev said:
I am starting API development for making a somewhat anime list app on my own for a project, can I get a temporary API key? for testing? Or I have to fill up the form? I'm unsure cause I don't even have a name for my app yet, but I wanted to start coding. Thanks

You can edit the form later, keeping the same whitelisted user-agent.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Cant build the URL

tamcio_ - Dec 4, 2022

4 by Jotzy »»
Yesterday, 4:35 AM

» Which endpoints support nsfw query param?

crimson-megumin - Apr 21

0 by crimson-megumin »»
Apr 21, 5:37 PM

» I made a new anime recommendation system for MyAnimeList

Asudox - Mar 21

4 by Asudox »»
Apr 11, 2:58 PM

» API Rate Limit?

Asudox - Jan 23

7 by pepeefirat »»
Mar 23, 3:57 AM

» Some Animes Missing on API Reponse

Niccol0 - Jan 26

3 by ZeroCrystal »»
Mar 15, 3:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.