Forum Settings
Forums

Shoji Kawamori's 'Nobunaga the Fool' Anime Announcement [Update 12/10]

New
Nov 7, 2013 2:24 PM

Feb 2012
In Monthly Newtype magazine, an announcement will be made that "Nobunaga the Fool" will be receiving an anime adaptation that will air January 2014. The series has "sci-fi robot action featuring historical characters such as Oda Nobunaga and Leonardo da Vinci." Some of the staff and cast for the series has also been given.

Staff
Director: Eiichi Sato
Mechanical Design: Shoji Kawamori
Studio: Satelight

Cast
Oda Nobunaga: Mamoru Miyano
Jeanne Kaguya d'Arc: Yoko Hikasa
Aketi-Mitsuhide: Takahiro Sakurai
Toyotomi Hideyoshi: Yuki Kaji
Ichihime: Minori Chihara
Leonardo da Vinci: Tomokazu Sugita

"Nobunaga the Fool" is one part of Shoji Kawamori's "The Fool" multi-dimensional project which was announced back in March.

Official site: http://www.nobunaga.tv

Source: 0taku

Nobunaga the Fool on MAL

Update December 10
Secondary cast has been announced, along with 4 versions (comments from 4 main cast members) of the PV.

Himiko: Nao Toyama
Nell: Ibuki Kido
Bianki: Haruka Ishida (AKB48)
Nobukatsu Oda: Nobunaga Shimazaki
Kenshin Uesugi: Hiroki Nanami
Shingen Takeda: Rikiya Koyama
Alexander: Kazuya Nakai
Mazeran: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
Chacha: Karin Nanami (Auditioned for the project)
Hatsu: Yui Umemura (Auditioned for the project)
Gou: Saki Takahashi (Auditioned for the project)

PV versions: Mamoru Miyano, Yoko Hikasa, Takahiro Sakurai, Yuki Kaji

Source: Official Site

Discussion continues from here.
KinetaDec 10, 2013 7:44 AM
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 7, 2013 2:26 PM

Jul 2012
Shoji Kawamori? New Sci-Fi Robot Anime? Leonardo da Vinci?

Oh boy, I think I just jizzed in my pants
Wind_Sr said:
Studio: Satelight
Well, that was obvious.

Wind_Sr said:

Cast
Holy...that VA cast...uber-hnnng.
Nevermind Fuck Yuki Kaji.
MaorNov 7, 2013 2:59 PM
הלב שלי כבר מת
Nov 7, 2013 2:36 PM

Aug 2011
Oh I just saw this on ANN a few hours ago. Nevertheless, very excited for it.
Nov 7, 2013 2:48 PM

Aug 2010
I was hoping for Oda Nobuna 2,
but this works I guess.
ovoon7Nov 7, 2013 2:52 PM
Nov 7, 2013 2:53 PM

Aug 2007
-looks at seiyu- Okay, looks nice. But. Mamoru Miyano as Nobunaga? Depending on the 'comedy' level of this show, this is either going to remind me of Light or Takuto. Funny Shoji isn't mentioned as director, while he has more experience than Sato. Anyway, the idea sounds fun, but unless it actually is a serious anime, I'm out. Unless the first episode is going to laugh my socks off. And those are long.

@Ovoon: rather prefer the second season of Nobuna-chan here too. x3
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Nov 7, 2013 2:54 PM

Apr 2012
I had missed the March announcement, so more Kawamori is always welcomed, but mecha with Kaguya d'Arc, Da Vinci and Nobunaga, I don't know, could be great, could be awful. Great cast though.
EratiKNov 7, 2013 3:05 PM
Nov 7, 2013 3:01 PM
Oct 2011

^
Not sure if I should be happy or not about such historical figures being voiced by such great yet sounds totally unfitting VAs. I mean seriously, THE Oda Nobunaga voiced by Mamoru Miyano? Dunno why, but I smell a disappointment, an interesting idea yet from the info we have it seems like it's gonna suck big time.
Candor123Nov 7, 2013 3:07 PM
Nov 7, 2013 3:03 PM

Sep 2011
Candor said:

^
Not sure if I should be happy or not about such historical figures being voiced by such great yet sounds totally unfitting VAs. I mean seriously, THE Oda Nobunaga voiced by Miyano?
its ok, no matter how out of place sugita's voice may be, its outweighed by the fact that its sugita

Onto the actual show's premise, that has got to be the dumbest and most insane thing iv heard for a premise, i fucking love it.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 7, 2013 3:12 PM

Apr 2010
Sounds dumb, but who knows.
Nov 7, 2013 3:14 PM
Oct 2011
The anime about Date Masamune, the Sengoku era and robots and shit sounded a lot more interesting. Too bad it was cancelled.
JizzyHitler said:
Candor said:

Not sure if I should be happy or not about such historical figures being voiced by such great yet sounds totally unfitting VAs. I mean seriously, THE Oda Nobunaga voiced by Miyano?
its ok, no matter how out of place sugita's voice may be, its outweighed by the fact that its sugita
Sugita did an awful job by voicing a 15 year-old teenager in Nichibros and the only thing I was imagining when Hidenori speaks was Gintoki speaking, and that isn't fun. It was totally out of place. Sugita's voice doesn't work on all characters, just like other characters like Koyama and the red-haired guy from Zetsuen no Tempest. Though Sugita's role might work in this show, but I don't see Mamoru's working, especially when he's voicing the Demon Lord who is always being portrayed as the badass villain of almost every Sengoku-centered game/anime/manga/vn/novel..etc Yes, Mamoru did voice some badass villains, but, I just imagine Nobunaga having a more badass manly voice.
YolozuyaSwagSon said:

Yuki Kaji in that cast is just another retarded thing to do, and Toyotomi? Yeah, that killed all of my hopes for this. The director's name doesn't seem that promising either.
Candor123Nov 7, 2013 3:42 PM
Nov 7, 2013 3:38 PM

Apr 2013
prolly a parody-comedy anime , will watch
Nov 7, 2013 3:49 PM

Dec 2007
Looks great! the VA cast is awesome and Kazuki Yone's art is awesome!
Nov 7, 2013 3:56 PM

May 2011
That cast certainly looks "interesting". I'm eager to see how this will turn out.
Nov 7, 2013 4:14 PM

Aug 2011
Candor said:

YolozuyaSwagSon said:

Yuki Kaji in that cast is just another retarded thing to do, and Toyotomi? Yeah, that killed all of my hopes for this. The director's name doesn't seem that promising either.

Hurrah, more Yuki Kaji hate. Why is it another retarded thing to do? Yuki Kaji has really flexible vocal cords.
Nov 7, 2013 4:18 PM

Jun 2008
DAT CAST
Nov 7, 2013 4:19 PM

Apr 2010
I'm wondering what Jeanne D'Arc and Leonardo Da Vinci were doing in Sengoku era.
Great cast of voice actors.
Nov 7, 2013 4:25 PM

Feb 2010
Pretty crazy - and interesting - mix we have here. Will give it a try, for sure.
Nov 7, 2013 4:39 PM

Jun 2011
Surely my entire point in life is to witness Leonardo da Vinci in anime format and hearing him speak Japanese and be voiced by Tomokazu Sugita.

That premise alone is worthy of being bestowed the accolade of Beautiful.
Nov 7, 2013 5:01 PM

Jun 2011
WOW This sounds fun! Oda Nobunaga and Leonardo da Vinci? Lol. Not much of a sci-fi mecha action fan though

Edit: And holy shit, that CAST!
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 7, 2013 6:06 PM

Sep 2012
Why is it always Nobunaga?

This sounds very weird though. Historical figures plus robots. Historical figures which lived centuries apart plus robots.

This is going to be the best show ever.
Another page to the history of the Fujaku.
Nov 7, 2013 6:23 PM

Nov 2011
Wind_Sr said:
In Monthly Newtype magazine, an announcement will be made that "Nobunaga the Fool" will be receiving an anime adaptation that will air January 2014. The series has "sci-fi robot action featuring historical characters such as Oda Nobunaga and Leonardo da Vinci." Some of the staff and cast for the series has also been given.

Hmm, this caught my attention. Dat CAST.
Nov 7, 2013 6:28 PM
Jun 2009
YolozuyaSwagSon said:

Wind_Sr said:

Cast

I thought I was the only one who doesn't seem to like Yuki Kaji.
Nov 7, 2013 6:40 PM

Sep 2012
Looks like a female oriented show ....
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 7, 2013 6:40 PM

Aug 2011
Windspeaks said:
That cast certainly looks "interesting". I'm eager to see how this will turn out.

The director has some very hit-or-miss experience, but I'm also looking forward to some good comedy and scifi goodness.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Nov 7, 2013 7:05 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Laciie said:
Candor said:

YolozuyaSwagSon said:

Hurrah, more Yuki Kaji hate. Why is it another retarded thing to do? Yuki Kaji has really flexible vocal cords.

While I was looking to see if Kaji was in the cast because I love his voice, others were looking at his name and had the opposite reaction. Haha agreed with the flexible vocal cords.

zenith_kim94 said:

Where have you been? There's quite a lot of hate for Kaji Yuuki. You should've seen the people complaining when they saw that he was voicing Eren before SnK came out. People also hate him because he voiced Haruyuki and Shu.

Anyways, this looks quite interesting. When I saw Nobunaga in the title I thought it was another news for Nobunagun or something. So many Nobunagas.
tingyNov 7, 2013 7:09 PM
Nov 7, 2013 7:09 PM
Jul 2018
Joan of Arc voiced by Mio?

Eh, will still watch.
Nov 7, 2013 7:16 PM

Sep 2012
Mamoru Miyano is in this, so I must watch this.
Nov 7, 2013 8:34 PM

May 2011
tingy said:
zenith_kim94 said:

Where have you been? There's quite a lot of hate for Kaji Yuuki. You should've seen the people complaining when they saw that he was voicing Eren before SnK came out. People also hate him because he voiced Haruyuki and Shu.

I'm pretty sure that most of the hate comes from the roles he voices, not his actual voice. People may argue otherwise, but he really is a fantastic seiyuu.

Also, looking forward to this anime. Premise is pretty different. :>
Nov 7, 2013 8:36 PM

Jan 2011
Wind_Sr said:

Cast

This is odd becuase Oda in the key visual looks like a mix of Gintoki and Ragna (both Sugita characters) yet he is voiced by Mamo. And then we have Leonardo da vinci who I perceive as being someone flamboyant and eccentric (Like most Mamoru characters) is voiced by Sugita.
[center]
Nov 7, 2013 9:23 PM

May 2008
April Fool's...oh, wait, it's not April.

VioLink said:

...Oda in the key visual

The key visual makes it look more action-oriented than a comedy.

Change the setting and character names to made-up characters, I'd possibly consider... However, that's not the case. I wouldn't be able to stomach all the historical inconsistencies, and the whole made-up premise as a whole. Leonardo and Jeanne (aka Joan) are both from before the other characters, not to mention the only European ones. At least choose some from the same period as the other characters... Okay, enough complaining from me.
(Almost) 13 years on MAL!
()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Nov 7, 2013 9:23 PM

Oct 2011
THE CAST! okay, I'm done.
Nov 7, 2013 9:48 PM

Sep 2012
Dat cast.
Will watch.
Nov 7, 2013 10:26 PM

Oct 2007
When do the idols come in, when does the animation take and when do the characters cross the threshold of insufferable forever? Honestly I'd love it if Kawamori could rekindle some of the old magic from the classic Macross and Escaflowne days but the way he is now I'm not holding my breath. Expectations set pretty low for this.

edit: Wait Kawamori isn't directing this himself right? If not that makes me considerably more hopeful.
PeacingOutNov 7, 2013 10:31 PM
Nov 7, 2013 10:34 PM

Dec 2012
> Toyotomi Hideyoshi: Yuki Kaji

Welp, not gonna bother with this then.
Nov 7, 2013 11:45 PM
Mar 2009
Wow. What the hell was this guy on?

Leonardo da Vinci, Joan of Arc, fine. Key European figures, that's not new.

Adding in Oda Nobunaga? With mechas? What the shit.
Nov 8, 2013 12:20 AM
Oct 2011
Laciie said:
Candor said:

YolozuyaSwagSon said:

Because his voice sucks. Examples? Shu, Hanemura (from Zetusen no Tempest), Alibaba, and Eren, especially the last 2. In their respective manga series they were respectable characters you could love and admire, once their anime started, both characters turned to crap and became unbearable.
Candor123Nov 8, 2013 12:28 AM
Nov 8, 2013 12:24 AM

Sep 2012
^ Interesting, a lot of watchers in Japan who do not like Kaji's voice thought he indeed improved and more than bearable when he voiced Eren.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 8, 2013 12:26 AM

Mar 2012
I'm almost never hear someone complain about Yuki Kaji voicing Issei from DxD.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Nov 8, 2013 12:39 AM

May 2010
I might be interested, but need to check the artwork out first.
Nice cast, but I feel like Yuki Kaiji is stalking me lately, lol. Seriously, this guy is in every single series I watch. While I like his voice, I'm getting a bit tired of it.
Nov 8, 2013 12:39 AM
Oct 2011
symbv said:
^ Interesting, a lot of watchers in Japan who do not like Kaji's voice thought he indeed improved and more than bearable when he voiced Eren.
Sadly, not for me. Yes he might've gotten better by sounding angry all the time, but his voice is still as unbearable.
NeoAnkara said:
I'm almost never hear someone complain about Yuki Kaji voicing Issei from DxD.
Because such roles suit him more, the pervert teenager. He should stick to those and leave the better roles for better people.
Candor123Nov 8, 2013 12:46 AM
Nov 8, 2013 2:38 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Will watch, the premise sounds a bit silly but if it has some of the goofiness of EVOL it sure will be fun.
But I would much rather have had a new Macross project to be honest. It's been more than 5 years since Macross Frontier came out and more than 2 and a half since the last of the movies. Come on Kawamori!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 8, 2013 4:10 AM

Sep 2011
Candor said:
symbv said:
Sadly, not for me. Yes he might've gotten better by sounding angry all the time, but his voice is still as unbearable.
But thats just what eren was, hes nothing but anger and nothing else, its a shallow character and you really cant blame the voice actor for not being able to bring a 1 dimensional character to life.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 8, 2013 4:51 AM

Oct 2009
Nobunaga and da Vinci? Well that should be interesting.
Nov 8, 2013 5:09 AM

Mar 2008
Kawamori must love his job. Make anime with fun ridiculous premises, however he wants, get support for it from the best in the business and make money out of it
Nov 8, 2013 7:17 AM
May 2012
Fuck yeah it looks fun to watch and awesome cast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 8, 2013 8:03 AM

Nov 2008
kinda need more info so will wait for the website to be available
Nov 8, 2013 8:10 AM

Aug 2011
Candor said:
Laciie said:
Candor said:

YolozuyaSwagSon said:

Because his voice sucks. Examples? Shu, Hanemura (from Zetusen no Tempest), Alibaba, and Eren, especially the last 2. In their respective manga series they were respectable characters you could love and admire, once their anime started, both characters turned to crap and became unbearable.

Well this is subjective, but I think his job with Eren really proved his capability as a voice actor. He put on an absolutely amazing performance by being Eren, and was perfectly sutied to be Eren, to me. Alibaba was also another good role; I'm not going to argue for Hanamura because I found him sub-par. There's also Sion, Lyon, Nell from Blood Lad, Finnian from Kuroshitsuji. He is an amazing voice actor, but I guess if you don't like his voice itself, you're going to dislike anything he plays.
Nov 8, 2013 9:08 AM

Nov 2011
News greedy! :)
Nov 8, 2013 10:47 AM
May 2007
Wished for this to happen and finally it's here!

Turns out to be a TV series according to official site, impressive visuals there.
Also to mention, anime character designer worked on Aquarion Evol.
Character Designs #1, #2, #3 (Source: Weibo)

Voice actors are the same for the live play. People getting upset over Kaji only now.
Fun indeed.
Nov 8, 2013 12:16 PM

Sep 2012
This key visual looks particularly cool

http://blog-imgs-57.fc2.com/y/a/r/yaraon/bg3_1.jpg

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 38 minutes ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
38 minutes ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
5 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
7 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.