Forum Settings
Forums

Kaze Tachinu, Momo e no Tegami, and 3rd Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Movie Have Been Submitted for Oscar Best Animated Feature Film Nominations

New
Nov 6, 2013 6:50 AM

Nov 2007
According to Anime! Anime!, there are 19 Animated Feature Films Award nominations submitted for next year's Oscar. 3 out of the 19 nominations are Japanese Animated Films: Kaze Tachinu, Momo e no Tegami, and Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Hangyaku no Monogatari. The official site of the Academy Awards will reveal the full and official nomination list on January 16, 2014 and will hold the ceremony to reveal the winners on March 2, 2014.

Other Submissions of Animated Feature Films Award:
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
The Croods
Despicable Me 2
Epic
Ernest and Celestine
The Fake
Free Birds
Frozen
Khumba
The Legend of Sarila
Monster University
O Apostolo
Planes
Rio: 2096 A Story of Love and Fury
The Smurfs 2
Turbo

Source: Anime!Anime!, Variety
NaruleachNov 6, 2013 11:47 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 6, 2013 6:53 AM

Apr 2007
In the end, the final shortlist of nominations will be:
Monsters University
Frozen
Kaze Tachinu
(if there are five nomination slots, then Cloudy 2 and Despicable Me 2 as well)

I'm calling it now.

edit: adding Momo e no Tegami to my plan-to-watch, next to Madoka and Kaze Tachinu. It looks interesting. As for everything else on the list: I've watched Monsters University and Cloudy 2 already, and I was already planning to watch Frozen and Despicable Me 2. O apostolo, The Fake, and Ernest and Celestine look good too, so I might check those out.
PondNov 6, 2013 7:02 AM
Nov 6, 2013 7:04 AM

Oct 2013
It would be awesome if Miyazaki would be awarded a second Oscar for his final movie, but I suppose that will be wishful thinking... But, fingers crossed anyway!
Nov 6, 2013 7:19 AM

Sep 2012
English news source:

http://variety.com/2013/film/awards/oscars-19-films-submit-for-feature-animation-oscar-1200798376/

Well, an anime movie made by a cult in Japan to promote its religious vision also got "nominated" into the first list last year so I guess it is not really saying much about the intrinsic merits of the films.

Would be really interesting to see Madoka in the final nomination list, though I have a feeling that the last work before retirement of Miyazaki will get into the list instead.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 6, 2013 7:24 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Would love to see Madoka and Kaze get top five, but I feel like Kaze will be the only one, with Monster University or Despicable Me 2 winning it.
Nov 6, 2013 7:25 AM
Oct 2010
Damn Madoka's last movie is that good? I mean I was hyped for it, but oscar nomination worthy?
Nov 6, 2013 7:27 AM

May 2007
I think Wind Rises has this, the Academy loves Miyazaki too much not to do it.

I see no Wolf children there.
My anime list
Nov 6, 2013 7:31 AM

Apr 2007
skudoops said:
Damn Madoka's last movie is that good? I mean I was hyped for it, but oscar nomination worthy?

Worth noting that all the films on this list were submitted to the Academy, not chosen by voters. There will be a preliminary voting round to determine which five submitted films are announced as next year's nominations.

So Madoka's creators thought it was Oscar-nom worthy, but it's up to the members of the Academy to be the judge of that
Nov 6, 2013 7:39 AM
Oct 2010
ona said:
skudoops said:

Worth noting that all the films on this list were submitted to the Academy, not chosen by voters. There will be a preliminary voting round to determine which five submitted films are announced as next year's nominations.

So Madoka's creators thought it was Oscar-nom worthy, but it's up to the members of the Academy to be the judge of that

Ah, I've always thought the members of the Academy submitted a bunch then they did chose 5 out of the lot they initially brought in.
Nov 6, 2013 7:41 AM

Sep 2012
ona said:

I guess the title of the news thread saying "Receive Oscar Nominations" may be confusing.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 6, 2013 7:42 AM

Jun 2012
I never got the hype for Momo, it was average and somewhat annoying at times. Good luck nonethless
Nov 6, 2013 7:45 AM

Apr 2007
symbv said:
ona said:

I guess the title of the news thread saying "Receive Oscar Nominations" may be confusing.

I actually didn't realise it myself until I read the English-language source you posted.
Nov 6, 2013 7:49 AM

Sep 2012
ona said:
symbv said:
ona said:

I actually didn't realise it myself until I read the English-language source you posted.
And technically the title is not wrong. It could just mean that those works were nominated by the authorities which submitted the list although many people may just look at the title and think the nomination is made by the Academy itself.

Nov 6, 2013 7:52 AM

Aug 2009
Title is indeed very misleading. It suggests that Madoka and others have already received an Oscar nomination, which is definitely not the case. They have been SUBMITTED to the Academy, so it would get a chance to receive a nomination.
Nov 6, 2013 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
I'll be rooting for Madoka~
Nov 6, 2013 8:09 AM

Feb 2010
I hope Madoka wins!
Nov 6, 2013 8:24 AM
Jul 2012
Madoka good luck
Nov 6, 2013 8:25 AM

Sep 2012
Valkyrion said:
I never got the hype for Momo, it was average and somewhat annoying at times. Good luck nonethless
Momo is strange on several counts. It came out last year or was it the year before, so I don't understand how it qualifies.

And if anything last year should have been nominated, it was Wolf Children.
Nov 6, 2013 8:29 AM

Aug 2009
I haven't watched any of the submitted movies, but it's nice to see some Japanese productions getting some attention since everything American is in 3D nowadays. I hardly see any chance for Madoka to receive a nomination in the top 5, we all know that this isn't a child-friendly telling at all. It's a psychological drama filled with death and despair in the disguise of cute magical girls. Besides, it's a sequel to a complex series, you are lost if you haven't seen the first part.

I still predict all three anime movies will receive many prizes in Japan. The West might not be ready for something as wild as Madoka Magica.
Nov 6, 2013 8:32 AM

Apr 2007
hpulley said:
Momo is strange on several counts. It came out last year or was it the year before, so I don't understand how it qualifies..

A film is only eligible for the Oscars if it was shown in at least one theatre in LA in the year before the ceremony. http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/rules/86/rule02.html

Example: The film The Hurt Locker premiered in Italy in 2008, but it was only shown in US theatres in 2009, so it was nominated alongside Avatar, Inglourious Basterds, etc - which premiered in 2009. Same goes for Momo, I guess.
Nov 6, 2013 8:43 AM

Sep 2012
ona said:
hpulley said:
Momo is strange on several counts. It came out last year or was it the year before, so I don't understand how it qualifies..

A film is only eligible for the Oscars if it was shown in at least one theatre in LA in the year before the ceremony. http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/rules/86/rule02.html

Example: The film The Hurt Locker premiered in Italy in 2008, but it was only shown in US theatres in 2009, so it was nominated alongside Avatar, Inglourious Basterds, etc - which premiered in 2009. Same goes for Momo, I guess.
I see, found other articles indicating that they held it back so it could qualify this year:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-08-30/gkids-pushes-back-a-letter-to-momo-to-qualify-for-oscars-in-2013

Also interesting that 40 minutes is the minimum length for feature consideration. Garden of Words should have been nominated in that case or should next year if it still qualifies.
Nov 6, 2013 8:45 AM

Aug 2007
ona said:
hpulley said:

Animated Films goes by a different rule though. At least 8 nominations have to be shown in LA. Which means, after 8 nomination, the rest could literally be from any country of choice, regardless of the L.A. Rule. With 13 nominations, 5 of them could have easily been shown only in Japan.
http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/rules/86/rule07.html
Nov 6, 2013 8:47 AM

Apr 2007
Maora said:
ona said:
hpulley said:

Animated Films goes by a different rule though. At least 8 nominations have to be shown in LA. Which means, after 8 nomination, the rest could literally be from any country of choice, regardless of the L.A. Rule. With 13 nominations, 5 of them could have easily been shown only in Japan.
http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/rules/86/rule07.html

the rule said:

At least eight eligible animated features must have been theatrically released in Los Angeles County within the calendar year for this category to be activated.

I think what this means is that if there are fewer than eight submissions, the Academy will not award Best Animated Feature that year.

They all still have to be shown in LA.
Nov 6, 2013 8:53 AM

Aug 2007
Its for eligibility for the award. Not "eligibility to give the award"....
Nov 6, 2013 9:14 AM

Apr 2007
Maora said:
Its for eligibility for the award. Not "eligibility to give the award"....

da rulez said:
[M]otion pictures in this category must meet all the requirements in Academy Awards Rules Two, Three and Four.

meaning this requirement must still be met:

oscars said:

All eligible motion pictures, unless otherwise noted (see Paragraph 9, below), must be:
[snip]
b)for paid admission in a commercial motion picture theater in Los Angeles County,

It's still a question of eligibility - if not enough films are submitted then no award is given and no films are eligible.
Nov 6, 2013 9:19 AM

Nov 2008
But the 3rd movie just arrived in theaters only a week ago. Never seen the other movies listed.

Nov 6, 2013 9:46 AM

Jun 2012
hpulley said:
Valkyrion said:
Momo is strange on several counts. It came out last year or was it the year before, so I don't understand how it qualifies.

And if anything last year should have been nominated, it was Wolf Children.

Wolf children is very good but still far from outstanding, nothing I could see as a true modern classic in the same league as Kon's works (to name one example). However its nomination would be more fitting than.. Madoka, which is not really a stand-alone movie.
Nov 6, 2013 9:55 AM
Nov 2008
The people on the so called "academy" only chooses films from their own country, and those films have to be to most pretentious and stupid movies ever (like "the hurt locker"). And they call their award "the best in world cinema", what a bunch of phonies.
Nov 6, 2013 10:45 AM

Feb 2010
I don't see any of the Hollywood movies from this year as worthy. Momo isn't that good too. I'm hoping for some of the ones that are unknown to me or Kaze Tachinu.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 6, 2013 10:46 AM

Jun 2008
Madoka! I haven't seen any of the movies yet, but i hope it wins.
Nov 6, 2013 11:06 AM

Nov 2010
At first I was happy and surprised but after seeing the list, specifically Smurfs 2 and Planes, I realized they included most animated movies that featured a big budget (and subsequently good/high-production animation) even if their actual quality is pretty low in most other aspects. No offense to people who liked those two movies, it's just that I firmly believe they were not good movies and one look at iMDB and RT seems to show that the general opinion of both normal movie-goers and critics go along with me.

Though I have to say, while knowing that it obviously would never happen, it'd be kind of hilarious to see "normal people"'s reactions if Madoka won.
Nov 6, 2013 11:25 AM

Aug 2009
^ Yeah that would be hilarious.
I'm also amused by the thought of the academy people going to watch Madoka thinking "Ah, what a cute movie with magical girls and happiness" and then after finishing it they come out all gloomy and confused saying "wtf did I just watch??"
Nov 6, 2013 12:11 PM

Jun 2011
Haven't seen any of the movies yet, but Madoka is so overrated here.

Edit: Is it really that good, if you take out the surprise factor of cute magical girl turning into dark bloody story?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 6, 2013 12:17 PM

Feb 2010
ToG25thBaam said:

Edit: Is it really that good, if you take out the surprise factor of cute magical girl turning into dark bloody story?

That's what I'm gonna find out with the new Movie which doesn't have that element of surprise anymore but is still an original story/sequel.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 6, 2013 12:49 PM

Jul 2013
ToG25thBaam said:

Like how Dark bloody story (Fate/series) turn into a cute magical girl (Fate/Kaleid Liner)?, There are no harm in that...
Still I'm going for Madoka, need to add another Japanese Oscar after Miyazaki masterpiece afterall....
Pusswookie said:
This,
cressidaaa said:
Levi and Eren should be bro's. I'm rooting for their friendship!

is truth.
Nov 6, 2013 12:53 PM

Mar 2008
Momo e no Tegami for Oscar? Sorry to say this, but I'm pretty sure it won't win. If it even gets that far..
Would've rather liked to see Ookami kodomo no ame to yuki on that list..
Nov 6, 2013 1:34 PM

Dec 2012
Anyway, Ernest and Celestine, Kaze Tachinu, and The Fake (<- should have a better trailer) are those that interest me. Despicable Me 2 looks genuinely funny and perhaps The Croods are the others I would pick.

Pity that Wolf Children doesn't qualify or whatever. It should be there, far better than most of the trailers I saw.
Nov 6, 2013 2:44 PM

Jul 2013
I highly doubt that any of the anime animation films will win, regardless of how much I'd want them too
In the end, the vote will go towards American films & popularity since I feel it is pretty damn biased
Waiting for BBCode to come back.
Nov 6, 2013 2:48 PM
Oct 2010
ToG25thBaam said:

Yeah even without that it's pretty good. I mean that surprise happens very quickly in the anime.. so the novelty wore off quickly. It was merely a hook to get people to stick with it and it worked.
Nov 6, 2013 3:35 PM

Aug 2007
I think Miyazaki has the best chances out of the 3 anime on that list. He's the most well known japanese director, has already won an oscar with Chihiro and Kaze Tachinu is his last work. I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the cut into the final round and if he does, he has very good chances to actually win it. No Toy Story and many sequels, the american competition has been tougher in the past.
Nov 6, 2013 4:10 PM

Nov 2012
Welp, having the name Hayao Miyazaki on a movie makes its nomination all the more legit.

In this case, however, I admit I am intrigued with how good the 3rd Madoka Movie is.

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Nov 6, 2013 8:12 PM

May 2008
ona said:
hpulley said:

I guess anime appear in theaters in L.A. only. XD Joking, but I've never really seen anime in theaters except for Pokemon and a few Miyazaki films.

FutureDiary said:
I highly doubt that any of the anime animation films will win, regardless of how much I'd want them too
In the end, the vote will go towards American films & popularity since I feel it is pretty damn biased

Though on a world-wide perspective it is indeed bias, fact is anime isn't as big in the US, and the Oscars are held and aimed at Americans. True, they even have a best foreign film category, but how many of the audience both at the Oscars and watching on TV even knew about them, let alone saw them? Similar case for anime. Majority of Oscar-watchers will have never even heard of the three anime listed, and it makes sense for an award-ceremony aimed at Americans to feature mainly popular, better-known for the watchers American animated films. Also, in America you rarely see an American animated movie not aimed at children, so anime such as Madoka, which isn't child appropriate, would be even more foreign to audiences. And there's always going to be some sort of politics involved in choosing the Oscar winners.
(Almost) 13 years on MAL!
()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Nov 6, 2013 9:01 PM
Jul 2012
Madoka has zero chances of even getting nominated even if the movie ends up bein actually good. Then again other animated movies this year were pretty bad so I'm expecting that to be a farewell gift to Miyazaki in the end
Nov 6, 2013 11:45 PM

Aug 2011
Momo and Madoka Movie 3 really don't even deserve nominations.
Nov 6, 2013 11:48 PM

Sep 2012
DraconisMarch said:
Momo and Madoka Movie 3 really don't even deserve nominations.
I guess you have seen both?

Nov 7, 2013 12:53 AM

Oct 2011
yay for madoka! The two other titles intrigued me, might watch that~
Nov 7, 2013 7:26 AM

Nov 2008
I don't really care whomever wins
Nov 7, 2013 8:35 AM

Jun 2012
I think Momo e no Tegami has a fair chance for the Oscar. Madoka Magica is too "japanese" for the jury i think and Kaze Tachinu is too much japanese history and too few American history, so no.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 7, 2013 9:28 AM

Oct 2007
ToG25thBaam said:

>overrated
It's #39. It's horribly underrated on MAL.
Meanwhile stuff like SnK or Gintama sit in top10.
Nov 7, 2013 1:54 PM

Oct 2007
ToG25thBaam said:

I think it still holds up as a solid but never really got why some people are as fanatical and obnoxious about it as they are with trying to hold it above other people and anime. Its pretty laughable. Other than its probably the first time in a while or ever that a lot of people saw a story take a really dark turn out of the blue I just can't see why people are vaguely psychotic about it. In any case Kaze Tinchu strikes me as the only serious contender in this list.

Progeusz said:
ToG25thBaam said:

>overrated
It's #39. It's horribly underrated on MAL.
Meanwhile stuff like SnK or Gintama sit in top10.

The Madoka fanbase everyone.

PeacingOutNov 7, 2013 2:00 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Katsute Mahou Shoujo to Aku wa Tekitai shiteita.' Reveals Additional Cast, Second Promo

Doshigatai - 26 minutes ago

0 by Doshigatai »»
26 minutes ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/10]

Snow - Apr 5

26 by infanf »»
33 minutes ago

» 'T.P BON' Reveals Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

1 by deg »»
1 hour ago

» 'Isekai Shikkaku' Reveals Supporting Cast Pair

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by DARM11 »»
6 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

22 by ZXEAN »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.