Forum Settings
Forums

Game 'Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky' to Have TV Anime Adaptation Due 2014 [Update 01/14]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 6, 2013 7:16 AM

Mar 2011
Hmm... haven't played the game and not really interested in watching this before playing the prequel game, so~ looking forward for the OSTs then :D
The thing I love most from GUST is the OSTs ^o^)>
Nov 6, 2013 7:56 AM

Jan 2011
Haven't played the game but I like the character design.
[center]
Nov 6, 2013 8:01 AM

Nov 2008
This may not turn out good, and adapting Escha and Logy instead of Ayesha makes this very unwelcoming to newcomers, the title suffers in the story department unlike Ayesha or Totori and even this could be made into an adventure/slice of life, Meruru is more suited for this in spades.

Nov 6, 2013 8:02 AM

Nov 2011
I have mixed feelings for the character designs. Eh, I'll give this a try I guess but it's not something I'll be entirely excited about.
Nov 6, 2013 8:02 AM

Mar 2008
DarkMorpher said:
another magical girl anime? O_O

Nope, not even close. The Atelier series is about alchemy. The closest thing youll see to a magical girl is Wilbell who is a witch.
Nov 6, 2013 8:15 AM

Nov 2011
One option not be denied to anyone!

Thanks for the news! ;)
Nov 6, 2013 8:16 AM

Sep 2011
I may pass, atelier stories are usually really weak , the gameplay and sometimes the characters can carry it but they are just good fun for the most part

I havent played this one yet but my expectations are low, and ill definetly play the game before watching this as anime game adaptions are....well look at BB and dangan ronpa

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 6, 2013 8:28 AM

Sep 2008
I thought Atelier Rorona was being animated?
Nov 6, 2013 8:29 AM

Sep 2011
BadAppleWhite said:
oh if that happened it be a really boring anime, aside from sterk(and even then he was cliche) the cast was pretty weak and can barely qualifies as having a story

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 6, 2013 8:36 AM

Mar 2008
BadAppleWhite said:

Nope. The game is being remade to follow the Atelier Meruru Plus model. The mechanics in Rorona were really dated so Gust is doing a full remake instead of just adding content.
Nov 6, 2013 8:36 AM

Oct 2007
http://youtu.be/cC6mp8h8avI

--------------------------------------------------------
@TallonKarrde23: why so serious about this announcement? I understand that you want the best thing, so do I. First of all, just because they announced this one that doesn't mean they will make more after this. Therefore, even if they were announcing Ayesha instead of this one and that will just mean they are making Ayesha and nothing more. Secondly, Ayesha and EschaToLogy might be connected but both games can be played stand alone. The only problem that you might encountered in EschaToLogy is that you want to know more about Ayesha in details but that is not a problem of EschaToLogy.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Nov 6, 2013 8:42 AM

Mar 2013
Would prefer if they adapt the Arland series (rorona,totori,meruru) instead.
Nov 6, 2013 8:51 AM

Jul 2012
Art looks cool. Will watch, depending on genres.
Nov 6, 2013 8:53 AM

Sep 2011
razisgosu said:
BadAppleWhite said:

Nope. The game is being remade to follow the Atelier Meruru Plus model. The mechanics in Rorona were really dated so Gust is doing a full remake instead of just adding content.
I hope that releases here, desite its dated gameplay the management and business aspect of rorona was surprisingly addicting

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Nov 6, 2013 8:58 AM

Oct 2007
JizzyHitler said:
I hope that releases here, desite its dated gameplay the management and business aspect of rorona was surprisingly addicting
It is very likely that they will release it here, well unless they are people who doesn't like Dollar.

Nov 6, 2013 9:01 AM

Sep 2011
Siva said:
JizzyHitler said:
It is very likely that they will release it here, well unless they are people who doesn't like Dollar.
I'm generally am not too optimistic about remakes of jrpg games like this releasing over here. Atelier is a really niche market and usually for smaller series they don't see much point in bringing over re-releases of something that's already over here

so if it does thats great, but im not too optimistic. I mean being a tales of fan really does that to yah after you have had to pass on the quintillion tales of release not coming over

edit: wow i was spelling like a fucking idiot on this, post, sorry about that
JizzyHitlerNov 6, 2013 9:21 AM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Nov 6, 2013 9:19 AM

Mar 2011
I played all the Atelier series in ps2 and ds.

I'm looking forward to this!
Nov 6, 2013 9:49 AM

Oct 2007
JizzyHitler said:
I'm generally am not too optimistic about remakes of jrpg games like this releasing over here. Atelier is a really niche market and usually for smaller series they don't see much point in bringing over re-releases of something that's already over here

so if it does thats great, but im not too optimistic. I mean being a tales of fan really does that to yah after you have had to pass on the quintillion tales of release not coming over

edit: wow i was spelling like a fucking idiot on this, post, sorry about that
Well both Totori and Meruru were port to Vita and both re-release here. So it will be illogical to not release Rorona Vita here.

Nov 6, 2013 9:53 AM

Mar 2008
JizzyHitler said:
razisgosu said:
BadAppleWhite said:

I just beat Rorona this week. It was good but definitely very dated when compared to Meruru+. WewWe will see it in the west for sure. Every PS3 and Vita Atelier game has come west. Now if its digital or physical will be another story. Koei Tecmo has only released digital versions of Totori+ and Meruru+. Ayesha and E&L got physical releases, with the Rorona remake being PS3 and Vita I am praying for a dual physical release.
Nov 6, 2013 11:45 AM

Jan 2013
zetsubousei_hero said:
Would prefer if they adapt the Arland series (rorona,totori,meruru) instead.

+1 Even so is a great notice. I hope they make a good adaptation
To aru majutsu no index and To aru kagaku no railgun Lover
Nov 6, 2013 1:36 PM

Jun 2007
Siva said:

@TallonKarrde23: why so serious about this announcement? I understand that you want the best thing, so do I. First of all, just because they announced this one that doesn't mean they will make more after this. Therefore, even if they were announcing Ayesha instead of this one and that will just mean they are making Ayesha and nothing more. Secondly, Ayesha and EschaToLogy might be connected but both games can be played stand alone. The only problem that you might encountered in EschaToLogy is that you want to know more about Ayesha in details but that is not a problem of EschaToLogy.

The story of EschaToLogy is directly continued from Ayesha and involves the war in Marion's hometown, involves the end of the world and lore that's discussed heavily in Ayesha (both in the main story quite often and even moreso if you progress the side stories of the characters), and involves very much what happened "before" when alchemy got too powerful and destroyed half the planet (which involves some pretty big possible implications about the Arland trilogy that also explain why Pamela and the blacksmith aren't around after being in almost every single game), inter-dimensional shit, the end of Ayesha also
This plays hugely into EshaToLogy because the main plot is about that stuff - and without understanding what happened, how it happened, why it happened, and previous details about the lore and missing out on all that world building - you end up with a very convoluted, fractured, poorly created world (because you're missing the entirety of said world building).

Can you play it stand alone? As much as you could play Xenosaga 3 alone. So no, not unless you enjoy playing games while 100% ignoring the story and just pressing x to attack. Escha To Logy is a direct continuation of one of the first serious stories in the franchise and the world building is actually very important to both games.

It is literally like jumping in to the middle of a story - because it's factually what they are doing. This is not like Index and Railgun where they have some recurring cast members or plot elements - this is a full blown story, like (as someone used for an example) Lord of the Rings. You don't just hop in at the second film just even though you technically could still enjoy it for the action and music - because you'd have no fucking idea what's going on, why it's happening, or what happened to cause it. You'd just know midgets and elves were fighting typical fantasy monsters 'because'.

As for the rest - I'm aware that them announcing one doesn't mean more will come, but that's what I'm worried about. Starting in the MIDDLE of a story-focused series means it very fucking possibly (not definitely, I really hope it does well) could sell like shit and end up with another Atelier never being animated, or at least not for a loooong time. I'd hate that result, so I hate that they are doing this - as it's just begging for that conclusion. If they started with Ayesha - or even Rorona and did the Arland trilogy instead - the sales would likely be higher because non-players could understand it and get into it fully.From that, if the show was good in general aside that as well and sold alright, we'd have a huge chance of more animated Atelier.

In this case they are outright alienating anyone (west doesn't count, they don't buy DVD/BD and don't raise TV viewership of JP stations) who hasn't played the game from watching or buying it. This means any more seasons or series being made would be highly unlikely.

If you want a very basic explanation of what bothers me so much - it's this:
- Ayesha is essentially the world building, the story setup, and involves a shit ton of details about the plot. This is the first third of a book - one of the most important parts of any fiction.
- Escha To Logy uses that world, story, and details as it's main focus. This is basically the middle of the book. Everything set up and discussed by the first part is continued, is taking effect, or is further developed.

Without Ayesha, you end up with a convoluted and nonsensical plot and story with lots of shit that makes no sense, seems hilariously stupid, is barely explained, and so on - and not only is that bad overall, it'll also make people who don't know anything about Ayesha assume it's a poorly written game. Again, like jumping into the middle of any story.

And of course, the show - no matter what it was adapting - could just be a bad show, but that's obviously a different matter all together.

And why can't I be serious? This is a franchise I really love, and moreso Ayesha is one of my favorite games ever, nothing wrong with being passionate about it. I like discussing it the few chances I get - at least when I'm not being personally attacked by the staff.

edit - oh, forgot one other thing though I don't remember who said it. It was about how they are animating this because it's the "newest" and they hope to raise sales for it with the show.

If this is true, it'd be very stupid on their part because, while it is the newest title release, Escha & Logy released all the way back in JUNE. It's sales also already did very well.

This anime won't be out until the next game is released or far along in development. If they are doing it for Escha & Logy 'to raise awareness and sales of it' while ignoring how convoluted and butchered that'll make the story - why wouldn't they just do that for the NEXT game and coincide with it's launch? An anime adaptation just as the game comes out. Why do this for a game that's been out months and when the anime won't be airing until the next game is likely released?
TallonKarrde23Nov 6, 2013 2:19 PM
Nov 6, 2013 2:26 PM

Sep 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
Siva said:

The story of EschaToLogy is directly continued from Ayesha and involves the war in Marion's hometown, involves the end of the world and lore that's discussed heavily in Ayesha (both in the main story quite often and even moreso if you progress the side stories of the characters), and involves very much what happened "before" when alchemy got too powerful and destroyed half the planet (which involves some pretty big possible implications about the Arland trilogy that also explain why Pamela and the blacksmith aren't around after being in almost every single game), inter-dimensional shit, the end of Ayesha also
This plays hugely into EshaToLogy because the main plot is about that stuff - and without understanding what happened, how it happened, why it happened, and previous details about the lore and missing out on all that world building - you end up with a very convoluted, fractured, poorly created world (because you're missing the entirety of said world building).

There is nothing at all wrong with starting a story in the middle. It just takes a little more work to do it properly. For instance Uchouten Kazoku very much had the feel that you were in the middle of something much bigger. If handled well it can lead to a much richer world than standard story telling. The thing hasn't even listed all the characters yet so give it a chance!
Nov 6, 2013 2:34 PM

Jun 2007
scruffykiwi said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Siva said:

There is nothing at all wrong with starting a story in the middle. It just takes a little more work to do it properly. For instance Uchouten Kazoku very much had the feel that you were in the middle of something much bigger. If handled well it can lead to a much richer world than standard story telling. The thing hasn't even listed all the characters yet so give it a chance!

Well the difference is this is literally the middle of a story. This is different from, say, a piece of fiction written FROM THE START as taking place IN THE MIDDLE. Does that make sense? Like if you start writing a story in the middle of some big war and then eventually fill all that information in and build the world, that can be great. It pulls in the reader/viewer/whatever and makes them want to know more and continue watching or reading it.

The problem here is that this is literally the middle portion of a piece of fiction. Not that it was written starting there to begin with. Your example is a series based on light novels that also started off in the 'middle', and thus is a different situation all together. The entire story was written from the start as beginning in the middle. This isn't the case for E&L, all the world building and important information was put forth in Ayesha so that you could focus on the results of all that and the progression of the story in E&L moreso. By removing Ayesha from the mix you end up with an adaptation of a game that lacks a vast majority of its relevant information. Worse, Ayesha did start sort of 'in the middle' and we got all that explanation - and now we're jumping in to the middle of THAT story. So that's essentially an entire world and a half that E&L would need to cover before even touching on E&L's story to properly get it across.

In something written from the start as 'in the middle' - they will eventually fit in all the relevant stuff, but E&L doesn't have that because Ayesha does. The entire writing style behind it is hugely different - and I don't believe anyone working in anime has the talent to adapt a story from one thing to an ENTIRELY different style while also mixing in elements from a prior product.

As for the cast, Ayesha and friends are in Esha & Logy, so they'll be in the show, but the events of - and things you learn in - Ayesha are important: not just the girl herself.

For the record - I really do hope this turns out good. Atelier is one of my favorite game franchises ever, and I hope it not only sells well, but is a great show in general. I just think this was a very stupid decision on their part.
TallonKarrde23Nov 6, 2013 3:28 PM
Nov 6, 2013 3:27 PM

Mar 2008
The main reason they're probably starting with E&L is because of the fact the majority of the story in Ayesha is you chasing around flowers to save your sister. I haven't platinumed Ayesha, nor did I finish Keith's storyline, which is where I suspect you're pulling most of this lore from, but I imagine the anime will add the important bits in flashbacks/cutscenes.

If E&L is as dark and story important as you're saying it is, it makes sense to start with E&L because it's a superior story. Devoting an entire anime arc of meeting characters, finding flowers, beating the end boss, wouldn't be all that exciting.
Nov 6, 2013 3:54 PM

May 2013
Great, though I wish they'd adapt Totori instead. You know, for the PLOT:
http://i.imgur.com/XiZ2Ufk.png
Nov 6, 2013 3:57 PM

Mar 2008
Mizusi said:
Great, though I wish they'd adapt Totori instead. You know, for the PLOT:
http://i.imgur.com/XiZ2Ufk.png

Come on now, Melvia has the real PLOT. Then Totori and Mimi's yuri relationship is the plot.
Nov 7, 2013 5:24 AM

Oct 2007
@TallonKarrde23: First off all, Xenosaga, Xenosaga 2 and Xenosaga 3 are not just a sequel game it is a trilogy game that focus on ONE story, the same main characters and the same plot. On the other hand, Ayesha and EschaToLogy are just a sequel. In Ayesha's game, it is Ayesha's story but in EschaToLogy's game it is EschaToLogy's story. Both story might be heavily connected but it is still a 2 stories with different main characters. Ayesha and EschaToLogy works the same way Lord of the Ring and The Hobbit works. You can watch Lord of the Ring without knowing or watching the direct prequel, The Hobbit. It is a different case if you watch The Two Towers without watching The Fellowship of the Ring because it is a one story separate into 3 parts.

Nov 7, 2013 7:25 AM

Nov 2008
need more info before I can make my decision
Nov 7, 2013 1:39 PM

Jun 2007
Siva said:
@TallonKarrde23: First off all, Xenosaga, Xenosaga 2 and Xenosaga 3 are not just a sequel game it is a trilogy game that focus on ONE story, the same main characters and the same plot. On the other hand, Ayesha and EschaToLogy are just a sequel. In Ayesha's game, it is Ayesha's story but in EschaToLogy's game it is EschaToLogy's story. Both story might be heavily connected but it is still a 2 stories with different main characters. Ayesha and EschaToLogy works the same way Lord of the Ring and The Hobbit works. You can watch Lord of the Ring without knowing or watching the direct prequel, The Hobbit. It is a different case if you watch The Two Towers without watching The Fellowship of the Ring because it is a one story separate into 3 parts.

Except everything you said is wrong. Unless you're gonna tell me it's a "new game" whenever you switch to playing as Jr. in Xenosaga, then what you said is far from something you can apply here.

Yes, the lead role switches to new characters - no, the story is not some ther story in the same world.

It is a direct continuation of Ayesha. Not a 'related story'. It is ONE story with different leads.
Nov 7, 2013 6:35 PM

Aug 2011
Beat and loved Ayesha, I kinda wanna beat this before watching tho :/
Nov 8, 2013 5:50 AM
May 2012
morshuwarrior said:
I'm not that familiar with the games, but I guess I'll watch it.

Yeah same here and it looks cool.
Nov 8, 2013 9:37 AM
Dec 2010
Am I the only one who really wish for a Recettear anime before this?
Nov 19, 2013 1:07 PM

Aug 2011
I've never played the games... but it seems interesting :) definitely a plan to watch.
Nov 26, 2013 7:22 PM
Aug 2013
Hyped, though it will probably be a sub-par adaptation.
Nov 26, 2013 7:42 PM

Oct 2009
Meh, I rather had them do Mana Khemia than Atelier series, or better: Ar Tonelico.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Nov 29, 2013 9:12 AM

Mar 2009
I only have played Totori and Ayesha game, but I didnt expect them to animate this game first. Choosing Studio Gokumi to handle the adapation maybe fair enough after I seeing their works with A-Channel and Kinmoza as Atelier series is mostly also a slice of life+moeblob lol.

I just hope Gokumi will adapt this series well or at least good enough to please the fan of this game series. I'm having high hopes for them :)
Nov 29, 2013 11:49 AM

Aug 2013
I'll watch it since the art look good

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Jan 14, 2014 9:50 AM

Nov 2007
News Update
According to Dengeki Playstation, the anime will be aired in Spring 2014.

Studio: Studio Gokumi

Game Cast
Escha Malier: Rie Murakawa
Logix Fiscario: Kaito Ishikawa
Lucille Ernella: Mariko Honda
Wilbell voll Erslied: Asami Seto
Awin Sidelet: Kenji Akabane
Threia Hazelgrimm: Chiharu Kitaoka
Rafer Ruckberry: Yasunori Masutani
Micie Sun Mussemburg: Tomo Muranaka
Katla Larchica: Chihiro Uno
Solle Grumman: Daisuke Matsubara
Linca: Ami Koshimizu
Marion Quinn: Kana Ueda
Colland Grumman: Kento Fujinuma
Duke Beriel: Tsuyoshi Koyama
Nio Altugle: Mariya Ise
Clone: Hibiku Yamamura
Harry Olson: Mitsuaki Madono
Flameu: Kana Akutsu

Source: Otakomu
NaruleachMar 23, 2014 6:56 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 14, 2014 7:35 PM

Jul 2012
Damn that art. Will watch.
Jan 14, 2014 11:31 PM

Jun 2007
People keep saying how nice the art looks, but uh...there's not any art of the TV series out at all as far as I see anywhere whatsoever - not even promo art. All there is is art from the game and the promo art for the game. The anime will have a much stricter budget and - while keeping the style hopefully - will not look nearly as good as the promotional material for the game.

There's no way to know how the show's art will look until they release an image of the TV series' art style. Based on the studios past works, it will not look anything like the game's promo art (or the game art) outside of being somewhat similar, and will likely be more vibrant, cutesy, and squishy as well.

Expecting this anime to look like the game's promo art is like having expected Steins;Gate to look like Huke's art. It doesn't work that way. The character designs will carry over, but that's about it.

Also, going to repeat for good measure: This is the animation of a game that is a direct sequel to the first seriously story-focused game in the franchise. Don't be surprised if you feel like you're missing out on a lot by watching this without having played the game - both in terms of characters and story. It's going to be terrible when the show comes out and people bitch about how it has too many unanswered questions or confusing relationships while ignoring the fact they jumped into the middle of a story.

Them picking this studio also kind of implies they will be making the series much more light hearted than this and Ayesha actually are, which makes me more confused on why they aren't adapting the Arland trilogy instead - which is entirely light hearted fun and would be perfect for this animation studio, while Escha & Logy and Ayesha are actually pretty dark for the series and very story focused (especially in comparison to past titles). I'll never get the idea behind the first Atelier to be animated being the MIDDLE of a story and one of the more serious ones at that and being done by a studio known for very cutesy cuddly heartwarming shows when they had literally a shit ton of other Atelier games to pick from.
TallonKarrde23Jan 14, 2014 11:42 PM
Jan 14, 2014 11:54 PM

Aug 2009
Well I think we've seen enough game to anime adaptations to know how this is gonna end...

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 14, 2014 11:56 PM

Jun 2007
battosai-01 said:
Well I think we've seen enough game to anime adaptations to know how this is gonna end...

Tales of Vesperia's film is ten times better than the game, which is arguably one of the most boring in the entire game series. Actually, all the Tales anime are better than the games. Even huge fans of them tend to agree the anime is better, especially with Symphonia.

I get your point, but mine is just that there are exceptions. I'm going to hold out hope this will be one of those.
Jan 15, 2014 8:34 PM

Jun 2007
VanishingKira said:
Really like the character designs,though ain't going be expecting much since this a game adaption.

Character designs for the anime series have not been shown at all.
Jan 20, 2014 8:45 AM

Sep 2012
Oh, its from a game. So that's why
Jan 30, 2014 6:09 AM

Nov 2007
Anime Official site is opened and the cast for anime is the same for game.
http://atelier-ps3.jp/escha-logy/anime/
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 30, 2014 8:54 AM

Oct 2012
No Hanazawa Kana.

Gonna be an awesome anime nonetheless :D
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Jan 30, 2014 9:55 AM

Apr 2011
lol random anime
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

21 by VanishingKira »»
10 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:37 AM

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.