Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 5, 2013 8:00 AM
Apr 2013
I've been thinking about it recently. I recall how his girlfriend stated before she died "It's all...just a dream". I think Spike dies but he "wakes up" and realizes that it all was a dream. Maybe all those characters (Jet, Ed, etc.) were just remnants of his past that his mind stuck onto and he dreamt about it. What do you think?
Nov 5, 2013 8:05 AM

Jun 2007
Not what you just said.
Nov 5, 2013 8:29 AM

Oct 2010
I guess spoiler, so...

Nov 5, 2013 8:42 AM

Sep 2011
hes dead but watanabe says he isnt shooting down the possibility that he survived.

Hes also said that he will never continue cowboy bebop for fear that he would ruin the series or upset the fans

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 5, 2013 8:54 AM

Apr 2012
The whole "life is a dream" is a Japanese stereotype. It's generally not meant literaly, but is used to illustrate the fleeting nature of life. This concept already existed in old Chinese philosophies (Taoism...) (which influenced Japan), but was made even stronger when Buddhism reached Japan, and the Zen sect developed. In those troubled times, the emphasis on ephemerality made warriors resolute in the face of death. Which is exactly what happens to Spike.
EratiKNov 5, 2013 9:02 AM
Nov 5, 2013 12:01 PM
Apr 2013
EratiK said:
The whole "life is a dream" is a Japanese stereotype. It's generally not meant literaly, but is used to illustrate the fleeting nature of life. This concept already existed in old Chinese philosophies (Taoism...) (which influenced Japan), but was made even stronger when Buddhism reached Japan, and the Zen sect developed. In those troubled times, the emphasis on ephemerality made warriors resolute in the face of death. Which is exactly what happens to Spike.

I see, I didn't even know that was a stereotype. Good to know, thanks
Nov 5, 2013 12:03 PM

Mar 2012
He died, like Nagisa, L, Dumbledore, etc.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jun 18, 2014 2:48 PM

Jun 2010
I'm really sick of this question. There's no question in my mind that he's dead. 1. After everything Spike has said and talked about and the themes of the show, to keep him alive really makes no sense and 2. Even if he did survive that fight with Vicious, he passed out in front of all those Red Dragon members he was fighting all night, you really think they wouldn't check to see if he was still breathing, of course they would and then they'd kill him anyway
Jun 18, 2014 2:52 PM

Jul 2013
SpikeJet2736 said:
I'm really sick of this question. There's no question in my mind that he's dead. 1. After everything Spike has said and talked about and the themes of the show, to keep him alive really makes no sense and 2. Even if he did survive that fight with Vicious, he passed out in front of all those Red Dragon members he was fighting all night, you really think they wouldn't check to see if he was still breathing, of course they would and then they'd kill him anyway

Don't bring back a question that was asked half a year ago if you're sick of it.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Jun 18, 2014 3:01 PM
Apr 2013
SpikeJet2736 said:

I don't doubt NOW that he's dead. Although I recall that he was also a leader of the Red Dragons but that was made clear by Vicious during their battle, but I'm not sure. If he was a leader as well, I'm not sure they would have killed him
Jun 18, 2014 3:22 PM

Jun 2010
JabonHR said:
SpikeJet2736 said:

Don't bring back a question that was asked half a year ago if you're sick of it.

People debate this all the time
Jun 18, 2014 3:24 PM

Jun 2010
KingNyrd said:
SpikeJet2736 said:

I don't doubt NOW that he's dead. Although I recall that he was also a leader of the Red Dragons but that was made clear by Vicious during their battle, but I'm not sure. If he was a leader as well, I'm not sure they would have killed him

Oh, yeah, Lin was saying how he was waiting for Spike to take over
Jan 16, 2016 2:14 PM

Dec 2015
Nah,I really think spike is dead.I guess I remember at some point in the anime they say that there is a star for everyone and at the end of the credits you can see a shining star fading away if u watch it carefully

also "YOU ARE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT",I think it makes it obvious.
Jan 16, 2016 2:36 PM

Nov 2008
He's 100% dead. And the only MC whose death I was okay with. It just "fit".

Sucks to die so young though. XD

Jan 16, 2016 2:41 PM

Jun 2015
I finished watching Bebop months ago but I still can't get over how awesome his last hurrah was.

It's my favorite anime scene ever.
Jan 16, 2016 9:23 PM

Jan 2016
Always bothered me that that YouTube video doesn't show the actual fight between Spike and Vicious. I mean come on man, I was pumped.
"MEMORIZE THIS! MEMORIZE JEREMIAH GOTTWALD! Commit it to memory, because that's the memorable name of the man who has defeated you." - Orange Boy Himself
Mar 28, 2016 2:18 PM
Jan 2016
SERIES FINALE SPOILER:

TakoDog1543Mar 28, 2016 2:24 PM
Apr 1, 2016 10:13 PM

Mar 2016
Whatever the series creator has said (and he/she is ultimately "Word of God"), Spike being dead at the end of the final episode is just...fitting. As said above, it's one of the few deaths I'm actually okay with, and not because I don't like Spike.

It's just in his nature, his destiny, to be dead at that time. Just like the final ending of Justified, with Raylan and Boyd on opposite sides of the prison's vising room glass, and Raylan explaining why he went out of his way to give Boyd closure wrt to Ava: "We dug coal together." Awesome series (Cowboy Bebop and Justified).

It's over, and leave it alone.
I am the one you warned me of.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Metty - May 14, 2008

622 by TeeDeeHeeHee »»
Apr 17, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

samurai_tom - Jul 16, 2009

88 by Coletty »»
Apr 15, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

109 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 11:26 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

122 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 13, 2008

206 by wallus81 »»
Apr 13, 10:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.