Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Feb 9, 2016 6:56 AM

Apr 2014
I really liked this story. It took me for quite an emotional rollercoaster.
There were a lot of moments that really stuck to me.

- The 2 children (spirits?) disappearing with the 'sleeping' Aiko in an abandoned town.
- Seki coping with Shimazu's death. The scene of his shrine while talking why he couldn't be at the reunion.
- Pegasus entourage saving the world eventually and having a little game with the daruma on punpunia planet.
- Harumi's expression and outlook changes after seeing Punpun at the very end.
- Cycle continues after Punpun takes out his own eye and killing his own dark spot, with the dark spot reappearing in the newborn child of Yuuichi. The two children in Harumi's class making it look like a repeat of Punpun and Aiko's first meeting.
- Punpun wants to be forgotten and be left alone while longing to be free in the end. Instead, he's caught by Sachi and not only that, he'll be remembered forever in a manga.
AngelusoFeb 9, 2016 7:00 AM
Feb 24, 2016 11:14 PM

Nov 2012
That was an interesting way to end the manga. Harumi was a character I almost completely forgot about. Its nice to see that one last shot of Punpun with all these people that care about him on the side of the street. It sucked so much that Aiko died and seemed like this manga was about to end in tragedy like I predicted, but Sacchi found him and his life seemed to have turned out pretty decently despite all the things that happened. That also made me remember how his dad found peace in his lifestyle a few chapters ago. I don't know if punpun is actually happy, but things could be a hell of a lot worse. I agree the final message seems to be something along the lines of life goes on or everything comes in full circle/repeats itself.

My overall feelings on this manga are kinda difficult for me to evaluate right on the spot just having finished it . It took me a few weeks of reading the manga over time I kinda read it in multiple long reading sessions spread out over a few weeks, so some things aren't as fresh in my mind. Right now I'm giving it a 9/10

I do feel like it was really well done though. Everything from the amazing artwork to how well this manga portrayed the characters thoughts and feelings. At numerous points in the manga since I'm 24 right now probably somewhere close to Punpun's age at the end of the manga, a lot of these childhood events made me think about things that happened in my own childhood, just made me very reflective in general.

I liked how it seemed to show that as a child Punpun seems to think things are so simple, but as time goes on he realizes that life is nowhere near that simple. Multiple times he ridicules his past childish self for believing he could be a scientist that could save humanity from extinction. He struggles just getting dealing with his own life.

I also liked how the manga showed multiple characters really trying to question things like what they really wanted with life, are they really satisified with their life, I saw this multiple times in Punpun's uncles' storyline, and also with Sacchi and Punpun.

I think this manga is just great at showing that there is both an ugly side and a beautiful side to human nature. We see a lot of the ugly side through Punpun's early and later difficulties with Aiko, the abuse of Punpun's dad on his mom, Aiko's mom abusing her, Punpun's mother being cold to him, Punpun's uncle cheating on his girlfriend, Punpuns anger and depression, Seki's ongoing pessimestic rants about life, and so on. But then we still get to see a beautiful side in multiple senarios like the real estate manager , Sacchi, Punpuns high school friend looking out for Punpun, also found in Punpun's father finding happiness or Punpun being with all his friends at the end, Yuuichi finding Midori and his "Hope" in their child at the end.

I'm sure there's some deeper themes and meanings to be taken from things that I don't understand that well, like the real signficance of Pegasus's Group , the god of poop, or whatnot. I might look into some discussions about this manga later there's sure to have been some interesting theories about this stuff.
midnightbladeFeb 24, 2016 11:27 PM
Mar 2, 2016 6:18 AM

Dec 2013
Feel bad for Aiko.. Good manga but I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone.
Mar 5, 2016 5:57 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
I was really hoping to see Punpun's face, but oh well, some things are better as a mystery. I loved how he didn't know Punpun's name, showing how forgettable, yet unforgettable Punpun was back then. Beautiful ending, beautiful manga.

5/5
Mar 25, 2016 6:25 PM

Jul 2015
That has got to be one of the most gripping things I've ever read.
Thank goodness the ending was pretty happy. If it had ended badly, I'm not sure how I would've felt. I've never read anything else in my entire life that made me feel so depressed and lonely. I had to take breaks because if I didn't, utter despair would just consume me at some points.

But at the same time, I have no regrets because it was just so beautiful. Everything just came full circle. A new generation of students is there to take the place of Punpun's generation. A little bittersweet and nostalgic, isn't it?
I loved it. I don't know what to do with myself anymore. I wish I could just forget it and reread it over again.
Apr 7, 2016 12:03 AM
Aug 2013
A bittersweet ending. Punpun is denied solitude in death; he cannot mourn, alone and forgotten, for Aiko. But there is undeniably a happiness to this ending, no matter how hollow; we see Punpun, in his ghostly little bird form, waving goodbye, surrounded by friends. Visuals do not lie. He has found some semblance of peace.

Allow me to quote Punpun's uncle: "Though I now've found "peace" with my new family, I'm just a mere husk, trudging along day after day by clinging on to something known as hope, only in name. Nevertheless, I have no intentions of denying my fate. After all, a part of me had wished for this."

Punpun has descended too far into the existential abyss, seen and thought and felt too much, to find fulfillment as an ordinary person might. But there is a peace in resignation.
Apr 9, 2016 4:08 AM

Feb 2013
10/10. I will have to reread this someday.
May 22, 2016 9:28 PM
Oct 2015
PTSD never felt so good.

10/10 Masterpiece
Jun 4, 2016 3:31 AM

Feb 2015
I was about to expect somewhat a tragedy, but it's okay that it didn't went to that tragic path. Given the prior premises on how depressed the characters were, tragedy was never an interesting completion.

This is a very compelling story, and the mangaka's intention was succinct. Great job, and this is truly a masterpiece.

Punpun is a very interesting character -- given this as an coming-of-age story, he developed very well. From a wimpy invisible normal scum with a bunch of friends into a teen of angst laden with the heavy burdens of life. His intentions were not clearly expressed, but with his decisions and idiosyncrasy, I daresay he grew out well mentally and socially as the plot progresses.
JomsJun 4, 2016 3:37 AM
Jun 14, 2016 3:07 AM

Aug 2013
Reading this manga was such an amazing experience, not the type of ending that i was expecting it to be, but it's quite the satisfying one. The only problem that i had when reading this was the whole pegasus arc, the whole nonsense speech bores me to death.

Aside from that, this is such a beautiful piece of work that I'm going to definitely reread this one day
Jul 1, 2016 6:02 PM

Aug 2014
What an emotional rollercoaster this has been.

Punpun's alive, has a job and is surrounded by the people that loves and cherish him? I couldn't ask for a better ending!

Punpun's character was truly fascinating to say the least. On one hand I could relate and sympathize him but on the other he also made me very mad because of the decisions he made throughout the series...especially towards the last few volumes. There was even times where I though death would be the best option for him because how disgusted he made me feel me. Asano did a great job portraying a character whose flaws was oh so transparent.

I wished Seki met Sachi one last time but oh well, that's life for you.

Sadly the Cult club knocks down the masterpiece status for me, I really didn't find it to be enjoyable at all. Because of Pegasus's antics, some of Asano's imagery was just lost to me at times.

Overall this was an amazing read, had me emotionally invested because how brutally realistic and depressing it was.
I look forward to reading more of Asano's work in the future.
9/10
KashKetchumJul 1, 2016 6:18 PM
Jul 22, 2016 3:17 PM

Jan 2014
I just marathon'd this entire manga, I gotta say there is so much fcked up shit happening in here its absolutely crazy, lmao. Lots of moral boundaries being crossed here left and right.

I mean I could stomach every arc except the end with the Aiko arc, that just made me feel so sick. She got royally fcked here in almost every way. She was seriously just a sweetheart living an honest life. Next thing you know the MC takes her virginity mercilessly while she's vulnerable, o man.... and then afterwards she just lived absolutely miserably until her demise depending on this dude. How god damn tragic, all because she got mixed up with the wrong dude at the wrong place & time, he straight up just destroyed her future.

The art was spectacular, I just wish there were more happy moments in there... ugh just left me feeling disturbed. Like yeah life has its fcked up moments for sure, but it also has its happy moments too? No? Yes? Maybe? I dunno....the story/plot was super depressing.

Like I was expecting an interesting story, but this just took it to the next level in terms of being dark!

Yeah.. whewww OK i'm good now, BACK TO REALITY.
Jul 30, 2016 6:05 AM
Jul 2016
What a dark manga, it didn't leave me sad, it left me feeling fucked up and disturbed. It's very good but I didn't like a specific part [spoiler] I found that the part when Punpun tells Aiko to see her mother rather stupid and just a way to push the plot in a specific direction. Punpun already didn't morally give a shit about a lot of things, it's way to irational to ask her to go say good bye, it was obvious that her mother was fucked up if she being hit. Punpun didn't read her expression, if she was that scared and hurt, he shouldn't have pushed her to go, and Aiko already knew her mother and probably expected her to do something as brutal as that, but she never resisted going to see her either and that seems stupid too. Maybe Punpun made her go specificly to hurt her, I feel no pity for Punpun he should have died and Aiko should have been the one that deserved a second chance.
Aug 18, 2016 5:56 PM

Oct 2011
You mean the bird face isn't Punpun's face? *Mindblown!*

In all seriousness, I just finished this manga. I'm usually one to watch anime instead, but lately I've gotten back into reading manga, and this one was rated quite high, so I went to check it out a while ago. At first it started out really bizarre, but it was like part of a child's imagination. It continued to be dark and bizarre, but it dealt with adulthood and life lessons on growing up. Then it became a little more normal as the characters get older, but Punpun was still chasing after Aiko and finally got her. After he got what he wanted, then that's when it seemed he could be truly a normal person.
Sep 11, 2016 2:35 PM

Sep 2014
That was a pretty good read. I was so happy to see punpun still with sachi. I guess everything settled down... for now that is.

Some stuff I didn't like (all the cult nonsense), but overall it was a really good read. I would consider reading it again sometime further down the future.
Sep 15, 2016 9:19 PM
Oct 2013
Man I don't know how to feel about Pun Pun, he was abusing Aiko and I hated him for it but its like he sort of snapped when he killed the mother so I didn't really want to blame either of them for going a little mad. The descent was so engaging and hard to read at the same time, the way they used punpun's self perception of himself was incredible. I don't know if at the end him being back to normal was Harumin's perception or his own though.

Also to everyone saying its not nice of Pun Pun to forget Aiko, I mean there are definitely reasons to not like Pun Pun but the way it was handled I got the distinct impression that he didn't want to forget Aiko, that it was just a consequence of time. He even says he will accept his feelings of shame until the end. I don't think he will ever really forget what happened or forgive himself. But thats sort of what I find so beautiful and bittersweet about it all, him and Aiko both went to a dark place and it was like they could only go down, but even after he hit the bottom, life went on. He didn't get his happy ending, or his release from life, in the end he was responsible to the people around him and just had to find a place in life. It was all too cruel. In a way as awful as it was, when they ran away together, it was sort of like they were both rejecting reality and constant reminders pulled them back. Ah I can't even put it all into words, its too good.
Sep 18, 2016 2:58 PM

Dec 2011
I’m going to have to sit with my feelings on this some more. I feel… conflicted, on what I’m supposed to take away from this, the way the story unfolded. I don’t think I was feeling what other readers probably were when they finished this. I didn’t get the feeling of “wow this was incredible,” or, “wow, the experience I had reading this was amazing.” It was more like… I was indifferent? I felt stagnant? It’s not that the ending was rushed, by any means. It was very cut throat: ‘Here is what I want to happen, so I will make it happen.’ It’s just… the way it was transcribed to us wasn’t handled the way I thought it would be?

The over-arching theme, by the end, is probably something along the lines of ‘the cycle continues / life goes on.’ We see this through the repeating conversations of what the little kids talk about in the bubbles of the last few pages, in the eyes of the child that got his close up, the baby with God in his eye, of Punpun telling Aiko in his dream he’s sorry that his memory of her couldn’t accurately hold her image. I understand this. What I don’t understand, and probably what holds a gaping hole in the middle of where my satisfaction is supposed to be, is Aiko’s conclusion. What was her story? What does that do for us, the reader? Was her death necessary in order to reach the same ending? Was that narrative what Punpun needed? What the theme needed? What were we supposed to take from following Seki and Shimi’s story, alongside Punpun's? The cult’s involvement? Their conclusion? These are the things I ask myself to pick apart the story, put it back together, and realize what the author’s intent is. I’m finding it hard to reason with myself specifically whether or not I agree with what became of Aiko, and how that plays into what we take away from this story by the end of it all. I’m not a fan of when people romanticize death or sadness. For the most part, I appreciate how this manga didn’t do this, but at the same time, it did, albeit not in the same conventions of how we usually see it. Aiko dies- for what. For the story or for Punpun, both reasons are very :s for me. I’m gonna be hung up on this for a while trying to think of what this means for her character. I hope what I learn doesn’t leave me any more empty than how I already feel.

Seki and Shimi were my favorites from here and I'm a little disappointed that is what we got. With all that said, I enjoyed having a protagonist we’re supposed to project ourselves onto (to an extent, more in the beginning than by the end). Using a twisted, humorous surrealistic structure to convey depression and self-deprication was one of the better ways I’ve seen authors portray it. Good stuff.
Nov 13, 2016 9:03 PM

Apr 2013
One of the greatest pieces of literature I've ever read. Holy shit, what a ride.
Dec 1, 2016 1:39 AM
May 2015
This picture killed me... I cried like a b***h :'(

Dec 2, 2016 9:31 AM
Mar 2009
Not really sure why everyone seems happy that Punpun is alive at the end of this story. I feel that it is all too often that the author is unwilling to punish the protagonist for their unforgivable actions. I felt that Punpun should have been left high and dry at the end after what he did to poor Aiko. She led a far more miserable life and it was only further made miserable after Punpun came back into it. That said, I enjoyed the story but I resent the fact that Punpun gets off scott free with murder, basically. It's very much like how I felt with Aku No Hana.
Dec 24, 2016 12:48 PM
Jul 2018
Yep, that was definitely one of the most emotional and depressing rollercoaster I have ever experienced.

The ending was more of a bittersweet ending, at least for me. On one hand, we can see punpun finding solace living along with people who care for him, but on the other hand, he is suffering from the punishment of "living", or more importantly the scar that aiko left for him. Although he may have removed the black spot, the endless drudgery or status quo of living in everyday life without any hopes or dreams , the cycle of same thing repeating again(at harumin's school) shows us another side.

I thought the shimuzu-seki relationship could have been a bit more conclusive and pegasus parts a little less dragged out(he actually served as a good foil to punpun's character), overall this was a brilliant piece of work with full use of visual narrative.
9.4/10.
Jan 6, 2017 12:20 PM
May 2012
Tragedy stories doesn't always have to end...you know, sad. I think it's fine. A pretty funny Manga.
What made me feel sad the most is that we will never know how Punpun looks like, but I think it's fine. I really like the chicken look (looks like a chicken doodle, right?). So cute!
Goodnight, Punpun.
Feb 28, 2017 12:28 PM

Oct 2015
Good manga but it's a 6/10 for now (my brain needs to wait the story settle down).

I feel bad for Aiko and Shimizu.

Shimizu is dead. No doubt. When Seki saw the UFO he started to have the same illusions that Shimizu have. In the first place Shimizu saw the poop god after his mother death because he was lonely and that was the way he found to feel better alongside seeing his mother's arm. When Seki saw the UFO he was having the same illusions that Shimizu used to and Shimizu was to Seki what the mother's arm was to Shimizu.

I don't liked this ending. Punpun blamed Aiko for killing her mother? He should be at jail, Aiko's suicide is his fault. She killed herself to save Punpun but if he only stoped her mother and called the cops instead strangling her this shouldn't had happened. Poor Aiko.

Sorry for the engrish tho.
lipionFeb 28, 2017 3:35 PM
May 28, 2017 10:22 PM

Aug 2012
To be quite honest this went down the shitter once Nanjo was introduced and Punpun temporarily became a triangle. Past that point, it felt way too preachy and had the pretention of some things that are considered to be classic literature. Gesumi/Mimura, the Pegasus Ensemble, and the rest of Punpun's childhood friends did what they could to save the shitfest of the second half, but in the end it was a fruitless effort. Sachi was such a dull character and it rubbed off super hard on Punpun, which made getting through volumes 7 through 9 an absolute slog. It seemed like when Aiko returned to the main cast that the narrative would return to its former glory a la volumes 4-6, but then she and Punpun went fucking batshit insane for no good reason, and the writing became a whole lot preachier. There was pretty much nothing redeemable about the whole runaway arc other than Sachi's journey through Punpun's past. Even worse, the whole Pegasus ensemble didn't end up amounting to anything in the end and they were easily the most interesting aspect of Punpun's later life. I must say that the author really nailed the whole "Punpun ain't who he used to be" dynamic by halfway through the story, which made the Harumi epilogue more believable, but it was still a pretty shitty ending. I can't really pinpoint why I hate the ending so much. Maybe it was because Sachi got way more spotlight than she really should have despite being as interesting as the wooden plank Punpun used to bludgeon that guy at the convenience store. Maybe it seemed like it was trying way too hard to be like the books I was forced to read in school. Maybe I got super baited by the MAL rating and this is not an entry level manga. Maybe this manga reminds me of 5 cm/s a lot, which was super fucking horrible. I don't think any of these things take away from the fact that the density of memorable moments in the manga is the highest in volumes 4 to 6, though.

So yeah it turned into a complete piece of trash halfway through, but at least the art was consistently gorgeous throughout.

me-yow said:
I don't understand many things...
How did aiko die? If she even did die...
DId punpun die too?

This is probably super late but...
Aiko hanged herself.
Punpun didn't die, he just stabbed himself in the eye.
ThreePercentMay 28, 2017 10:57 PM
Jul 8, 2017 4:27 PM
Apr 2016
9/10

Okay, I read this manga in 3 days but I still don't know if it deserves the praise that it gets. That whole never ending cycle of depression got boring BUT the last volumes made up for it. They were still downright depressing but everything was executed really well and I was finally touched by some of the chapters. Now that it's all over, I can only be filled with mixed emotions.
Jul 20, 2017 3:47 PM

Aug 2010
Huh im a bit confused about the ending...it would been better to just end it with that final scene where Harumi is waving back at everyone and punpun's real face and body is shown...but ohh well this manga was so FUCKED UP like theres some really deep shit about human nature and society in here that i seriously surprised something like this got a manga format...brilliant work yet so depressing
Aug 18, 2017 6:42 AM

Mar 2016
Well SHIT I wish I never finished it. This is actually my favourite manga that I've finished, even though it was fucked up in so many ways. Goodnight, Punpun.
Sep 13, 2017 9:16 AM
Aug 2007
Really good manga. It's crazy to look back at the earlier chapters and see such an innocent Punpun, and then jump a hundred chapters ahead and see what he became. Overall it's about an 8.5/10 for me.

The Aiko arc was just too brutal.. I hated seeing that descent into darkness and Punpun also become so mean to her, I mean yeah I get it you just killed someone, but you also just promised to take care of her, she's the one you've waited your whole life for. I just wish he had done more to save her. I felt so bad when they got to Aiko's uncle's hospital only to find out it had closed down... it was heart-breaking to see how broken Aiko became over the course of the arc, her whole life was just a complete shit-show and she deserved so much more than how it ended for her.

Mowcdb said:
What a dark manga, it didn't leave me sad, it left me feeling fucked up and disturbed. It's very good but I didn't like a specific part [spoiler] I found that the part when Punpun tells Aiko to see her mother rather stupid and just a way to push the plot in a specific direction. Punpun already didn't morally give a shit about a lot of things, it's way to irational to ask her to go say good bye, it was obvious that her mother was fucked up if she being hit. Punpun didn't read her expression, if she was that scared and hurt, he shouldn't have pushed her to go, and Aiko already knew her mother and probably expected her to do something as brutal as that, but she never resisted going to see her either and that seems stupid too.

100% agree with this, I don't know why they went to see Aiko's mother. They were talking about running away and living freely and all that, but not before going to tell her unstable and abusive mother? Why?! Just get your things and leave!

In terms of the other talking points...
- I don't think Shimizu actually died, he just lost his memories. The Shimizu that Seki sees in the spaceship might just be the the Shimizu as he knew him... as in, the Shimizu that is alive is no longer the Shimizu that he knew (because he lost his memories).
- Not fussed that we didn't see his real face. In the final few chapters of the manga he was always depicted in the human/demon mode, but whenever it suddenly switched to the simple bird Punpun it gave me a huge sense of relief to see that the Punpun we know was still there.
- Really didn't care about Pegasus and company. I don't really understand what the point was.
- I actually liked Nanjou, she was a nice girl too and it was a bit sad to see Punpun leaving her behind in the same way he had left Aiko in his childhood. It's also quite cool to go back to the early chapters when Nanjou and Punpun actually "meet" for the first time

One question I still have, not sure if it was answered in the manga. When the kids go to the factory and the fire breaks out, Punpun and Aiko are on the roof and he sees a man standing there who is about to say something to him... who was that? I feel like they explained it when older Punpun goes back to the roof of that factory, but I don't remember it being clear...
Oct 26, 2017 8:25 AM

Nov 2014
tbh, I once wished this manga would end up like Clannad.
but since this series ain't the one like that, it's obviously impossible..

well... masterpiece series overall.
at least, the ending was better than what I expected.
not better than what I'd wished, though.

To-Do List:

• NOTHING

Nov 3, 2017 2:49 AM

Oct 2014
i hereby vote for this to be called "it hurts: the manga"

a very beautiful, heartbreaking series that made me laugh and cry. although i am a little disappointed with the ending, i will cherish this one forever.

goodnight, punpun❤️
Nov 3, 2017 6:14 PM

Jan 2013
Just finished it and though it's not perfect it's still very good.

1. The art is wonderful. Visually this manga is great.
2. The cult stuff is completely pointless - I was expecting some crazy 3rd impact world end apocalyptic thing, because that's what was foreshadowed by the author. And nope - fucking nothing.
3. Some side characters feel under utilized. Lots of 'fluff.' (Mostly the characters in the cult.)
4. Entire sections in the manga, like those with Uncle Yuichi, or the one with Aiko's mother, felt contrived. Kind of hurts my suspension of disbelief when every single character has some tragic traumatic past, because then it starts to feels forced. There is not even one normal well adjusted person here. That's not realistic, that's not even fun to read, it borders on absurdity.
5. It's cool to look back at the beginning of the manga and see how much Punpun changed. A lot of development happens here.
6. This manga reminded me of a book I read a few years ago called "Norwegian Wood" by Haruki Murakami. It is also a Japanese coming of age story with a lonely, depressed, protagonist. Both stories feature love triangles. Aiko mirrors Norwegian Wood's Naoko, who carries a lot of emotional baggage. Sachi mirrors Norwegian Wood's Midori, an independent women who starts to develop feelings for the protagonist early in the novel. If you liked this manga, you'd probably enjoy that book too.

Those are my thoughts. I'm glad I read this. I'd say the best part of this manga was the gorgeous illustrations.
Nov 6, 2017 4:43 PM

May 2017
Honestly one of the most realistic and raw mangas I've read.
SAD REALITY ......
悲しい現実 ......
Dec 9, 2017 6:31 PM

Aug 2015
What a sad and depressing series but i really enjoyed reading it and i just hoped that Aiko did not have to die as she deserved better.

I am really sad for her but atleast punpun is alive
Dec 29, 2017 5:05 AM
Aug 2008
I'm pretty late to this thread so I don't know if anyone will get a chance to read this. But from reading the posts here I think a lot of people misunderstood Punpun in a big, big way.

I noticed a lot of people didn't quite understand why Punpun was an "asshole" to Aiko. But, actually the truth is Punpun loved Aiko. Even though he was a jerk at times, there were some very affectionate moments between the two of them because he truly did care for her. He didn't hate her, he wasn't mad at her, he was just broken... Punpun never really had a chance to express himself his whole entire life. He lived as someone that he wasn't, his personality was so passive that he never got a chance to express his anger or his sexual desires. Those unexpressed feelings and desires were still a very huge part of who he is. The author uses different caricatures to display what personality Punpun is going through. He's very resentful of his own passive personality as he takes on a whole different person's personality and is drawn as that person. Eventually he meets Aiko again where he finally admits that he lied about his personality and returns to his original, passive bird form. After that they decide to go to Aiko's mom's place where the whole situation happens and that's when Punpun transforms into his "true personality". Originally his passive self was not truly who he was because he was too afraid to express that person. But when a moment arrived where he HAD to develop courage, he snapped and crossed a line of no return. Embracing who he is, with all of his flaws. He learns to accept himself and finally learns to express his desires and emotions. A lot of those emotions are expressed sexually. His anger that was held up inside him all those years is channeled through his sex life, creating a strong sexual drive that isn't normal. Although he does mistreat Aiko, no question about it, him treating her that way wasn't because he doesn't love her or that she's a "cage", like a lot of people interpret. When someone has held in emotions for a long time they often bring those emotions with them into their sex life. The emotions never disappeared and they are expressed subconsciously through sex. That is expressed in so many ways that it's kind of sad to me that nobody really noticed it. Like the first time he took her to a hotel room, he was clearly extremely angry and devestated to the fact that she kept on living a normal life while he thought about her the whole time. He even almost raped her, expressing and channeling his emotions that he was feeling at that moment. Throughout their relationship, no doubt, Punpun treats Aiko in a wrong way sexually as he just basically manhandles her, but again Punpun isn't doing that because he hates her. His pain from the past never healed and so it's shown through his sexual relations with Aiko. Punpun finally feels comfortable around Aiko and feels he can express himself openly, his personality now unveiled puts down his walls that he had in the past with people unleashing the pain, anger and depression that he's felt for so many years. It's not all sexual though. There are times when he's mean to her verbally and physically as well, that also probably has to do with his held in emotions from the past and them coming out as he feels comfortable just being himself and letting go of the old him. Emotions don't just disappear because you choose to ignore them, they will resurface when you decide to be vulnerable and authentic.

Also, I'm surprised that so many people wanted to see Punpun's face towards the end. But there was a lot said whenever it showed him as the original bird that he was. The original Punpun is his passive personality. Whenever Aiko died, Punpun lost the one person that he felt he could truly express himself around. It really explains why he was drawn as his "Satanic/More relatable to humans (due to the clothes and human body)" personallity during his time with Aiko. She was the only person he felt comfortable being himself around, really being vulnerable and expressing himself fully. Whenever she died, he went right back to the empty vessel "bird" that he was, going back to being aimless and without courage. Aiko gave that all to him, showing really how amazingly impactful she was on his life. Literally unlocking who he truly was, feeling so vulnerable with her that he allowed her to gouge out his eye, choke him and even stab him. She was the first person that could finally relate to him. Relate to his locked up, secluded past. There was so much vulnerbility between them, it was ridiculous. Their connection and relatability was so dramatized. Showing Punpun's face would've completely ruined the plot, because it would've defeated the purpose of showing Punpun's full personality with Aiko, the only person that he felt himself with.

I also didn't understand the cult stuff too much. What I did take out of it though was the feelings I got from them wanting to end the world. At the point where Aiko and Punpun got together, I think we all understood that the whole situation couldn't get any better. So actually the whole time I was really hoping that the world would truly end on that high note of beauty. Actually, seeing everyone being wiped out, including them, during those amazing moments would've made me feel fulfilled and at peace. I would've prefered it that way. I'm not really sure what the agenda of all that was, but maybe to make us realize that life doesn't take orders from anyone and that it's going to continue on regardless of what people wish to think. It seems that everyone understands from this story that life just keeps marching on.
andyrew93Dec 29, 2017 9:59 AM
Dec 31, 2017 6:40 AM

Aug 2016
It was one amazing rollercoaster of emotions. I feel sorry for Punpun that the ending turned out to be like this, probably that's the worst ending possible for him. I really enjoyed reading this masterpiece. I don't understand why people think this is happy ending? Where's that happines you're talking about? I can see only sorrow and despair.

10/10

andyrew93 said:
I'm pretty late to this thread so I don't know if anyone will get a chance to read this. But from reading the posts here I think a lot of people misunderstood Punpun in a big, big way.

I noticed a lot of people didn't quite understand why Punpun was an "asshole" to Aiko. But, actually the truth is Punpun loved Aiko. Even though he was a jerk at times, there were some very affectionate moments between the two of them because he truly did care for her. He didn't hate her, he wasn't mad at her, he was just broken... Punpun never really had a chance to express himself his whole entire life. He lived as someone that he wasn't, his personality was so passive that he never got a chance to express his anger or his sexual desires. Those unexpressed feelings and desires were still a very huge part of who he is. The author uses different caricatures to display what personality Punpun is going through. He's very resentful of his own passive personality as he takes on a whole different person's personality and is drawn as that person. Eventually he meets Aiko again where he finally admits that he lied about his personality and returns to his original, passive bird form. After that they decide to go to Aiko's mom's place where the whole situation happens and that's when Punpun transforms into his "true personality". Originally his passive self was not truly who he was because he was too afraid to express that person. But when a moment arrived where he HAD to develop courage, he snapped and crossed a line of no return. Embracing who he is, with all of his flaws. He learns to accept himself and finally learns to express his desires and emotions. A lot of those emotions are expressed sexually. His anger that was held up inside him all those years is channeled through his sex life, creating a strong sexual drive that isn't normal. Although he does mistreat Aiko, no question about it, him treating her that way wasn't because he doesn't love her or that she's a "cage", like a lot of people interpret. When someone has held in emotions for a long time they often bring those emotions with them into their sex life. The emotions never disappeared and they are expressed subconsciously through sex. That is expressed in so many ways that it's kind of sad to me that nobody really noticed it. Like the first time he took her to a hotel room, he was clearly extremely angry and devestated to the fact that she kept on living a normal life while he thought about her the whole time. He even almost raped her, expressing and channeling his emotions that he was feeling at that moment. Throughout their relationship, no doubt, Punpun treats Aiko in a wrong way sexually as he just basically manhandles her, but again Punpun isn't doing that because he hates her. His pain from the past never healed and so it's shown through his sexual relations with Aiko. Punpun finally feels comfortable around Aiko and feels he can express himself openly, his personality now unveiled puts down his walls that he had in the past with people unleashing the pain, anger and depression that he's felt for so many years. It's not all sexual though. There are times when he's mean to her verbally and physically as well, that also probably has to do with his held in emotions from the past and them coming out as he feels comfortable just being himself and letting go of the old him. Emotions don't just disappear because you choose to ignore them, they will resurface when you decide to be vulnerable and authentic.

Also, I'm surprised that so many people wanted to see Punpun's face towards the end. But there was a lot said whenever it showed him as the original bird that he was. The original Punpun is his passive personality. Whenever Aiko died, Punpun lost the one person that he felt he could truly express himself around. It really explains why he was drawn as his "Satanic/More relatable to humans (due to the clothes and human body)" personallity during his time with Aiko. She was the only person he felt comfortable being himself around, really being vulnerable and expressing himself fully. Whenever she died, he went right back to the empty vessel "bird" that he was, going back to being aimless and without courage. Aiko gave that all to him, showing really how amazingly impactful she was on his life. Literally unlocking who he truly was, feeling so vulnerable with her that he allowed her to gouge out his eye, choke him and even stab him. She was the first person that could finally relate to him. Relate to his locked up, secluded past. There was so much vulnerbility between them, it was ridiculous. Their connection and relatability was so dramatized. Showing Punpun's face would've completely ruined the plot, because it would've defeated the purpose of showing Punpun's full personality with Aiko, the only person that he felt himself with.

I also didn't understand the cult stuff too much. What I did take out of it though was the feelings I got from them wanting to end the world. At the point where Aiko and Punpun got together, I think we all understood that the whole situation couldn't get any better. So actually the whole time I was really hoping that the world would truly end on that high note of beauty. Actually, seeing everyone being wiped out, including them, during those amazing moments would've made me feel fulfilled and at peace. I would've prefered it that way. I'm not really sure what the agenda of all that was, but maybe to make us realize that life doesn't take orders from anyone and that it's going to continue on regardless of what people wish to think. It seems that everyone understands from this story that life just keeps marching on.

+1 agreed. If you read this you need to pay attention.
Feb 3, 2018 8:57 PM

Jun 2011
A great manga indeed, while I thought it was weird for it to be put in Harumi's pov, I thought it was nice to see PunPun with all his friends with him.
Feb 22, 2018 7:32 PM
Jul 2018
I was expecting a better ending. this one is kinda too rushed
Mar 5, 2018 12:58 AM
Jul 2017
This was happy and sad at the same time, in other words it's a fantastic bittersweet ending.

I was happy because there are people who care about punpun and I dont think they will hurt punpunt.

It was sad because punpun dont want to live but he is forced to live with them.

Overall a 9.5/10.
Mar 10, 2018 8:06 AM

Apr 2017
this manga is a gem. it's been such an emotional rollercoaster and am glad it was somewhat a happy ending. may Aiko never be forgotten.
i'll never forget this experience.
Mar 13, 2018 12:32 PM

Jan 2012
Well, let's see..

I believe 1-49 was downright amazing. Probably the best I've read in a while. However I absolutely hated chapter 50. After that, Punpun's uncle, my favorite and one of the best characters until then, completely disappeared from the story.

I didn't care much for Seki and Shimizu. It was nice to see different perspectives but they didn't really advance much. The whole cult story was interesting but got repetitive and didn't amount to much. It barely even got any development and we didn't get to know any of the characters of the cult, except for the math teacher and the cult leader. Speaking of repetitive, I believe the adulthood arc got too preachy and we kept running in circles.

I liked the moments when the mangaka criticized his own work and the whole Takashi stunt. Actually, I believe the comedy moments are the best in this manga.

As for Aiko, things just went completely downhill...it was angsty and unsatisfying, after some initial good moments. The manga suddenly ended and it left me thinking "oh, was that it?".

It's not like I didn't understand the message but it got too much at a certain point. It wasn't life changing but it was an enjoyable read and it was important for a bit of self-reflection.
Mar 17, 2018 4:08 AM

Jul 2016
Ah, this story actually had a good ending. Well, for almost everyone.

I'm still sad Aiko died, I liked her but that's not the point, it had to happen and I'm glad Punpun was able to move on thanks to Sachi instead of actually suiciding or living forever alone. Poor guy deserves to be happy.

Some of the events reminded me a bit of Welcome to the NHK! and that's always a great feeling. Great manga overall and it's my favorite right now. I should check the other author's works but I don't know where to start though.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Aug 17, 2018 4:18 PM
May 2018
Grateful to have had the opportunity to read this original work, this is in my Top Mangas for sure.
Aug 17, 2018 4:21 PM

May 2017
i like the way asano went with it
it wasn't wrapped up like usual,it just ended

rip punpun
had nice time reading while ripping my heart
Aug 17, 2018 10:23 PM

Dec 2017
i guess i'll just leave my mark in history of this thread to say - this wasn't that great

punpun was just depressed, horny and suicidal and it got really stretched out with all the nonsense cultist shit and aiko which just suddenly died (even her mother got a proper grave, but aiko got babysitting). and yet his actions were justified by what? his inner dark self? his childhood trauma? no punishment, no atonement, just pain, pain, pain, struggle, tears, depressed, depressed, suicidal... POP! happy and surrounded by his friends, hm...

even the ending was so out of place that you could just cut out the part from when punpun celebrated new year's with sachi and paste the ending chapter with a time skip to it and it would be a lot more better ending than this was...

if it wasn't for seki, the only likable character, this shit would be really even harder to read than it already was

i guess the only reason all the people rate this so high is because of relating in a way to punpun's character. that of being a coward, of being a loser, of being depressed and suicidal, having little or no motivation and thinking low of yourself. the only good thing he's done was killing that past self which was shown in such a odd way of stabbing himself in the eye...
Aug 25, 2018 5:50 PM

Aug 2012
uninstallthegame said:
i guess i'll just leave my mark in history of this thread to say - this wasn't that great

punpun was just depressed, horny and suicidal and it got really stretched out with all the nonsense cultist shit and aiko which just suddenly died (even her mother got a proper grave, but aiko got babysitting). and yet his actions were justified by what? his inner dark self? his childhood trauma? no punishment, no atonement, just pain, pain, pain, struggle, tears, depressed, depressed, suicidal... POP! happy and surrounded by his friends, hm...

even the ending was so out of place that you could just cut out the part from when punpun celebrated new year's with sachi and paste the ending chapter with a time skip to it and it would be a lot more better ending than this was...

if it wasn't for seki, the only likable character, this shit would be really even harder to read than it already was

i guess the only reason all the people rate this so high is because of relating in a way to punpun's character. that of being a coward, of being a loser, of being depressed and suicidal, having little or no motivation and thinking low of yourself. the only good thing he's done was killing that past self which was shown in such a odd way of stabbing himself in the eye...

you nailed it, I also felt the same.

Aug 25, 2018 6:08 PM

Aug 2012
This story is really boring, only a few chapters made me want to read the next ones. Plus the characters are either retarded or annoying.

I only read this because it was on the recommendations of homunculus, which by the way I loved, I though it would have some insight into human psychology, but what I ended up getting was just some lame story about depression.

This manga its not for the general public. By that I dont mean that its too deep, what I mean is that this story is made for a group of specific people.
I get it, some people relate to this story or some philosophy expressed by a character, but in general you need to have some sort of bias if you rate this a 9 or a 10.

Now about the characters,

Aiko - Since this was from the point of view of punpun, I was forced to like her and I even imagined that she was my crush. But without that POV, the only time I really liked Aiko was when she died. I loved the part where Punpun was dragging her corpse down the street.

Seki -the most interesting one, something about him seemed realistic.

Punpun father was a loser, and his mother annoying. Maybe its because I hate those birds face?

There was also the retarded friend of seki that knew god of poop (?)

FunsecoDec 26, 2020 10:04 AM
Sep 1, 2018 11:47 AM
Apr 2017
interesting way to end the series with harumi as point of view. In the end Punpun who was somewhat an outcast can manage to blend in with the society and live a "normal" life.

If there somehow there is an anime adaptation hope Hana Kanazawa will voice Midori and Kamiya Hiroshi will voice Yuichi
Sep 3, 2018 4:19 AM
Jul 2017
Great read. I really enjoyed how Asano-sensei was able to tell the story through the perspective of the different characters and not just focus soley on punpun. This manga really encapsulates social anxiety, depression, the feeling of hopelessness, and the lack of purpose in life in a way that I've never read/seen done before in a manga. The change of style of art over the life of punpun added an extra element to the storytelling. For example, in the earlier chapters, the depiction of adults like the home room teacher, principle, and vice-principle of the middle school from punpun's perspective was absurd. Everything from their distorted faces, crazy actions like randomly playing hide-n-seek, and their dialogue was out of place. It gave it an Alice in Wonderland vibe and showed the awkwardness of how Punpun perceived adults as as kid.

Plotwise, I wish Punpun would've have reconnected with his family, especially his uncle. Yuuichi and Punpun interactions with each other were probably my favorite moments in the manga. The whole Midori situation was fucked up because there was no way a sexually frustrated, socially awkward, young Punpun was going to be able to deny the advances of Midori. It would've been nice if yuuichi forgave punpun and they kept their relationship going, but I get it. Finding out your nephew slept with your lover isn't going to sit well with you no matter how much time passes.

Aiko and Punpun's puppy love was cute and their awkward teenage years accurately depicted the severe heartbreak associated with your first love, but how their arc ended felt forced. I can relate to not getting over your first love, but the progression of their relationship when they meet as adults went from zero to a hundred at an insane pace. Punpun's obsession with Aiko at least kind of made sense; with Punpun using his failure to keep his promise with Aiko as a catalyst/justification to how things in his life turned for the worse and in juxtaposition his happiest moments in life being with Aiko. However, vice versa, I don't know if the same could be said of Aiko being obsessed with Punpun especially cause the reader isn't really shown her point of view ,if at all, throughout the story. If anything imo, Aiko always unconsciously saw Punpun as a way out. Someone who she can manipulate and whose kindness she can take advantage of. Like other people have said, there was no way that Aiko and Punpun meeting Aiko's mom to tell her that they're essentially eloping would have ended well. The whole murder of Aiko's mom and eventual suicide of Aiko didn't serve much purpose to the plot other than shock value. A side note is how the fuck does Aiko not figure out or have any hint of an idea that her mother can actually walk when you live with the bitch. Also why does Aiko's mom conveniently carry around a kitchen knife? If she got it while "preparing the tea", how do you not notice a "paraplegic" person conceal a knife on person? That fat bitch deserves an Oscar for pulling some Keyser Söze and assassin creed type shit. Also, I rather would have preferred if Aiko and Punpun short-lived lives as outlaws ended with Aiko falling severely ill or in a comatose state from the infection from her wound. It seemed pretty dumb for her to off herself after she finally was free was the prison of her mother. Going to jail probably would have been a better life to her than what Aiko had living with her mom.

In terms of the cult aspect of the manga, I feel like the cult group was Chekhov's gun that never came to fruition and was figuratively and literally burned off. I really thought that Punpun would have joined or interacted with the cult. It would have even made more sense if Punpun joined the cult out of seeking hope or a sense of community and coincidently saw that Aiko was also a member of the cult. It also would have potentially allowed for Seki, Shimezu, Aiko, and Punpun to all meet again and the interactions between them. It would have been interesting to see the interactions of a nihilistic Seki with a depressed Punpun. Imo, it seemed like Punpun's god was suppose to the final piece of the puzzle fo the cult leader's bs. Idk maybe the author ran out of time and couldn't fit a more fitting arc for the cult.

Overall, even with the few things I disagree with, Oyasumi Punpun is or should be considered a masterpiece. fml for spending too much time writing this. lol

TLDR: A masterpiece ,regardless of having a few flaws
poundingtherockSep 3, 2018 4:27 AM
Sep 10, 2018 4:50 PM

Feb 2018
Ahhh this is perfect end,many mamga i read this is best manga ever seen.
Dec 19, 2018 7:01 PM

Oct 2018
well, well, that was such a rollercoaster. few works of fiction have had me staying up all night until morning hours, but still i feel it needed a stronger ending. I mean, it wasn't bad, but Punpun should've definitely commited suicide, at least for honor.

It's not fair he broke poor Aiko's life (even tho she was already miserable, but it all went to hell since meeting punpun again) and still be able to live a normal life. I know this manga is not precisely good for being fair towards its characters, but still all the tension accumulated through these last 3 tomes needed of such an action (punpun's suicide) to end up on its higher note. This way it felt really anticlimatic.

The cultist parts were okay at first, but they got way too much time than it deserved, as well as some meaningless meandering across tomes 6-9. I could forgive the ending if it weren't for these things and the manga would be a perfect 10/10

it was a pleasantly bittersweet journey, nonetheless
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 69 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2013

24 by shuffle_017 »»
Apr 15, 9:36 PM

» Is this the most insane piece of fiction in existence? (That's actually meaningful)

Hacker075 - Apr 12

2 by Hacker075 »»
Apr 13, 12:25 AM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 143 Discussion

Smooched - Oct 2, 2013

27 by Luschka_ »»
Apr 1, 3:47 AM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 34 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 19, 2013

31 by Luschka_ »»
Mar 23, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Oyasumi Punpun Chapter 145 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2014

64 by astoneon »»
Mar 22, 2:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.