Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Is this anime really as bad as the reviews say?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 28, 2014 3:09 AM
Jan 2013
Cupquake said:
Frost_Kiss said:
Cupquake said:
monster_killer said:
This anime is perfect.

No.

What no?
She like the anime. Yes, she is right. The anime is perfect.
Plus the game got 3rd season if you want to see how failure they are.
Idea factory is getting much money from Diabolik lovers.
All the people have different taste xP
You hate DIABOLIK lovers, we love it. And I dont know what will happen to you when you know that there will be a second season!!

I'm not saying the game is bad. I'm saying that the anime is shit. Idea factory is so good at making shitty anime(Mars of destruction, etc.) sales does not mean a show is good. I'm sure that the game is fun, but this adaptation was unbelievably poor.

Btw you'll notice that basically only females like this show. It's completely targeted towards women, which isn't a bad thing and makes sense, but that just makes it an awful watch for guys. And no, if you know one or two guys who like this anime it doesn't disputed my point, the vast majority of DL fans are female.

Exactly! And I'm sure the the same thing happen for school day. School day it's self is a Failure anime. School days it extremely shit anime. I really didn't like it. Oh, wait...I actually hate it.
But you know that DL anime is mostly for girls, you hate Idea factory, then why did you watch it?
Mar 28, 2014 3:13 AM
Jan 2013
Oh, and MOST of guys liked Diabolik lovers not only girls. Now, please don't tell me you think girls only like DL only because of MAL!! Btw, mind your speaks...I don't allow anyone to talk like this to me. If you're forcing your self to reply then don't reply.
Mar 28, 2014 1:15 PM

Sep 2011
Frost_Kiss said:
Oh, and MOST of guys liked Diabolik lovers not only girls. Now, please don't tell me you think girls only like DL only because of MAL!! Btw, mind your speaks...I don't allow anyone to talk like this to me. If you're forcing your self to reply then don't reply.

Most guys? Where are you getting your numbers from? You know one guy who is claiming to like it only to get into your pants?

This anime was horrid, I'd rather watch Magical Warefare and Pupa at the same time

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
Mar 28, 2014 2:14 PM

Apr 2013
Frost_Kiss said:

No. I think only girls like DL because the anime is targeted towards girls and there are no reasons for guys to like it. Seriously, explain how a guy could like this show. It's all fan service bloody sucking with hot guys. The story makes no sense and is not interesting and the characters barely get any screen time. I have never met any guy who liked DL, and this is true not just in mal, but other forums I use. School days is irrelevant so don't bring it up.

The reason I watched DL was because it was said to have yandere characters, an archetype I love. And it was short so I thought why not. I didn't notice that it was done by idea factory until after I finished it.
Mar 28, 2014 3:06 PM

May 2012
Everyone who say that this anime has rape is either lying or just don't know what rape means. Sucking blood = rape ?! LOL

It is strange how many reviewers saying that this anime has rape, and what is more strange is they are giving it low rating because of the rape. If this has rape then it that means it deserve higher score. This show meant to have a dark theme, and rape will only make it more intense. Aren't people bored with those animes that always have good ending

I really don't understand why many people are so afraid to watch rape ! Why it is ok to watch murder for example, but not rape ? I'm noticed that many people have some kind of rape phobia. In any anime that something like rape or close to it, they will always give a lower score, and complain about it. WHat is the big deal ? It is just an anime.

I also find it strange that this anime is targeting female audience. I thought that males who usually enjoy these types of animes.
thepathMar 28, 2014 3:11 PM
Mar 28, 2014 4:04 PM

Apr 2013
thepath said:
Everyone who say that this anime has rape is either lying or just don't know what rape means. Sucking blood = rape ?! LOL

It is strange how many reviewers saying that this anime has rape, and what is more strange is they are giving it low rating because of the rape. If this has rape then it that means it deserve higher score. This show meant to have a dark theme, and rape will only make it more intense. Aren't people bored with those animes that always have good ending

I really don't understand why many people are so afraid to watch rape ! Why it is ok to watch murder for example, but not rape ? I'm noticed that many people have some kind of rape phobia. In any anime that something like rape or close to it, they will always give a lower score, and complain about it. WHat is the big deal ? It is just an anime.

I also find it strange that this anime is targeting female audience. I thought that males who usually enjoy these types of animes.

It's a reverse harem, adapted from an Otome game. Otome games are meant for girls and so are reverse harems

Yes, it's not real rape, but the way the blood sucking is performed is definitely abuse. I dot like to see people being abused. This anime is frankly sexist and disgusting.
Mar 29, 2014 3:54 PM

Feb 2014
I just finished watching this anime and I thought it was good. It wasn't horrible like some other animes, but it was just good. But that's mainly because I'm a masochist and I loved all the sadistic guys and moments because they were like a major turn on for me but yeah. It was 'good'. It was great, but it wasn't horrible either.
I think the reason why some people are exaggerating is that they had really high expectations for it. Me personally, I only knew about this anime recently, and didn't read any reviews for it, but just read the synopsis and let my mind just make it's own opinion, and I'm glad I did.
Sometimes it's good not to read any reviews when you're about to watch or read something.

Mar 30, 2014 2:07 AM

Apr 2012
This thread is still going? Man I gave birth to something evil here^^. Well my last 2 cents on this is that most people here have heavily flawed logic. You say its bad that rape is glorified in some anime,altough we already said that sucking someones blood in a slighlty sexual way is not rape, but its totally ok an fine when murder is glorified? There are way more anime that glorify murder as something great, way more than DL glorifies abuse, and people dont mind at all, but with rape its like the end of the world happened. You have to get your values straight murder is WAY WAY worse than rape, no matter what feminists say, rape is not the worst thing in the world. Disfiguration and torture with lasting phyisical defects are also worse, but no one bats an eye when those are glorified in anime either. People should stop looking at things with their emotions and not judge things based on how they feel, but look at it objectively. Rape is not as bad as murder or disfiguration/lasting physical defects. Id much rather get raped then getting an limb or one of my 5 senses destroyed or maybe even left paralyzed for the rest of my life. And that should be a conclusion every person thinking at it objectively should take. But people taint their thinking too much by emotions, and thats the only reason I can think of why people are totally ok with glorifing murder and torture/disfiguration but think its the end of the world when S/M bloodsucking which isnt even real rape is glorified. I mean lets be honest she got a bit thrown around and her blood was sucked, objectively speaking nothing much horrible happened to her, aside from the fact of living in constant fear. But physically? Nope she hardly got hurt at all.

The show is still bad , the whole rape criers are thinking irrationally toough. Detach yourself from any emotions and look at it again. Look at it like you would at a math formula, and then count 1 + 1 and then reach the conclusion if its really as bad (the apparent rape).
Apr 5, 2014 4:04 PM
Apr 2013
straggy said:
Oh my God, this thread is stupid. OP, please, I don't think you know what sexism is. You can't be sexist towards men - it's impossible. It's the same in the respect that you can't be racist towards white people. Yeah, maybe your pathetic "man pride" got hurt, but you haven't been hated on for millennia just because of what you were born as, which women have.

And actually, although I didn't watch the episode, a friend informed me that the Bitch-chan guy with the fedora had an ambiguous rape scene in a church where he bites up the girl's thigh despite her crying out for him to stop. The scene cuts out, but we honestly don't know what happened - he probably raped her, considering the themes. So don't sit there and say there was no "actual rape" in this anime.

Besides that, the rape that I referred to in my review was the biting. Vampire bites have been sexual for years, as someone else in this thread already said. They're obviously being used as a sexual tool here too. A lot of fiction has girls offering their blood up as a romantic gesture, one that makes her moan when she is bitten. Other examples of vampiric sexualisation would be the 1992 movie Bram Stoker's Dracula, where girls are changed into vampires during sex. Here the vampires are approaching the girl in bed, pinning her down, dragging her into baths, doing things to her thighs and breasts. One of them even tells her she needs pleasure from it too - ie, he is gaining sexual pleasure from the act, which is what rapists gain too.

The thing that romanticises this anime most though is that it is aimed at women with the intention of having women desire this girl's situation. It's not just rapey, but continually abusive. A hell of a lot of women suffer abuse - no-one desires that, even in fantasies. That is the problem here. There's a difference between S&M and rape/abuse, which 50 Shades of Grey helped to blur the lines of with its shitty writing, so please don't compare BDSM to this anime. That's really gross and insulting to people that practice it. Getting beaten because you want to be is so very different from abuse. Nobody wants psychological and physical abuse. This anime panders to noncon fantasies specifically, which have much better sources than this pile of abusive shit. It's a bad anime besides any offensive material, which I also said in my review. If you want noncon, at least watch something fucking decent.

I agree with straggy here.

However, what she doesn't realize is that there is such thing as male sexism, and even though it's a serious thing, it is just not taken as severely by society, because women have had it far, far, worse, since the beginning of civilization. It is also racist if someone discriminates against someone for being white, however it is also not taken as severely as if someone discriminates against a black person.

Why is our society this way? It has to do with History.

All races, sexualities, and genders suffer different types of discrimination, it's just that some have had it worse, and for longer, and still do.

As for Diabolik Lovers, it may be fiction, and may be fantasy, but to different degrees, people take with them what they absorb from the media into real life, so this show cannot be considered harmless. It depicts and romanticizes situations very much like rape, slavery, and verbal/physical abuse.

Then again, it's made itself very clear it's target audiences are masochists and people with master/slave or rape-fantasies, so it's pretty much just fan-service fodder for those particular crowds, and should be more bunched in with hentai than with regular anime.
WithoutIdentityApr 5, 2014 4:37 PM
Apr 5, 2014 4:07 PM

Sep 2012
Oh good lord there's a lot of bullshit in this thread.
Apr 7, 2014 9:01 AM
Jan 2013
Red_Keys said:
Oh good lord there's a lot of bullshit in this thread.

Thanks god, someone has notice it. I thought I'm the only one here.
Apr 8, 2014 6:51 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Lol, nope. They took an average VN and turned it to shit, just like they did with Amnesia, and Togainu no Chi.

THIS IS WHY YOU CAN'T DO A FULL VN IN 12 EPISODES/SHORTS. Sorry, to get the full story you must do at LEAST 24 episodes!

Just look to Amagami SS: All routes, done fully. An excellent VN adaption! Every company making a VN anime adaption should look to Amagami SS and take pointers!

As for the content matter, it's not my kind of thing, and it's really a niche genre anyway (the whole, 'girl trapped and maybe raped' thing is a fetish for some, I guess.)

tsudecimo said:
Double standard? you wot m8?

This isn't a double standard, Prison school is a parody manga with over the top ecchi and great comedy. The story was never meant to be taken seriously ( the whole premise is crazy like everything else) nor does it ''masquerades it with some ecchi'' the ecchi is not to distract from the abuse the guys have, it's a key part of the manga, it's not just a bonus. I think the manga is brilliant and knows how to make full use of it's ecchi and take it to a whole new level. Making absurd and stupid situations look epic as fuck

http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1375/40/1375405920096.png

http://i.imgur.com/XCPjfYL.png

http://24.media.tumblr.com/da6dd8e65364c8de13ec57741cf22ce4/tumblr_muwsgaPsH91sb19zno1_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/facbdfe9346bc1a0340936e24758a6a6/tumblr_msuz6dFxc31rexm2do1_500.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/05cf1deff6f3692cc261e1f9a1e8735c/tumblr_mu6fu0mC4u1rhs7mro1_500.jpg

Diabolik lovers is taken itself seriously and it's not the first ''rape fantasy'' story that is directed towards women. Otome games are full of those.

I'm sorry but I have to read that manga RIGHT NOW!!

May 3, 2014 4:04 PM
Dec 2013
I've seen so many more violent shows. There are shows with real rape in it. It's not even implied here. Unless bite = rape. Uh, do you know what rape is? So, I've also heard it's a metaphor thing? Symbolization? Guess what, I don't care for any of that at all. It's a vampire biting a girl. Not even close to rape. x.x

It's not mainstream, that's the only thing I see that would make people hate it. Most people who come here and try to watch it are expecting some sort of knight in shining armor twilight thing. It doesn't even say in the genre that it's romance, so stop complaining when it's not. Many positive reviews say it is more realistic this way, and it is. Think about it, they're vampires. What's more realistic, a sadistic vampire or vegetarian vampire? And I definitely like realistic things.
Aug 27, 2014 7:50 AM
Mar 2013
I think people are overyacting a bit.I think the probelum is people espect this to be a typical romantic love story type.Which it wasn't as for the abuse.People read the discription again,it says she came to live in a house with sadistic vampires.So that should tell you there were going to be well sadistic.Sadist by the way means a person who gets pleasure,of someone's pain,and misfortune.So acourse this was going to have abuse to it.Sure i was shock,and creep out.When i saw the first episode,but I couldn't complain because the description told what the characters are like.
Aug 27, 2014 8:13 AM
Mar 2013
baki502 said:
This thread is still going? Man I gave birth to something evil here^^. Well my last 2 cents on this is that most people here have heavily flawed logic. You say its bad that rape is glorified in some anime,altough we already said that sucking someones blood in a slighlty sexual way is not rape, but its totally ok an fine when murder is glorified? There are way more anime that glorify murder as something great, way more than DL glorifies abuse, and people dont mind at all, but with rape its like the end of the world happened. You have to get your values straight murder is WAY WAY worse than rape, no matter what feminists say, rape is not the worst thing in the world. Disfiguration and torture with lasting phyisical defects are also worse, but no one bats an eye when those are glorified in anime either. People should stop looking at things with their emotions and not judge things based on how they feel, but look at it objectively. Rape is not as bad as murder or disfiguration/lasting physical defects. Id much rather get raped then getting an limb or one of my 5 senses destroyed or maybe even left paralyzed for the rest of my life. And that should be a conclusion every person thinking at it objectively should take. But people taint their thinking too much by emotions, and thats the only reason I can think of why people are totally ok with glorifing murder and torture/disfiguration but think its the end of the world when S/M bloodsucking which isnt even real rape is glorified. I mean lets be honest she got a bit thrown around and her blood was sucked, objectively speaking nothing much horrible happened to her, aside from the fact of living in constant fear. But physically? Nope she hardly got hurt at all.

The show is still bad , the whole rape criers are thinking irrationally toough. Detach yourself from any emotions and look at it again. Look at it like you would at a math formula, and then count 1 + 1 and then reach the conclusion if its really as bad (the apparent rape).
I agree with you whole heartly,i'm not saying this anime is good.But sure isn't a rapefest ,like people make it out to be.The girl just got bitten,and,kiss two times .She was never raped,and never even had sexs with them.You also had a point where there is lot of shows where it has murde,and sometimes enjoying the murder.Nobody complains about that,but some how here theres now a lot of complaining saying there glorifying the rape culture? B C that all it is . Personaly I don't think the show is gloryfing anything.Its clear iin here its abuse,and wrong here.
Oct 16, 2014 7:43 PM

Jun 2008
As someone who has played the games, I understand that this series is beyond a mere awful ravishment fantasy.

My impression from the games is that it's not as though the authors are blind to what they are creating. In fact, there are several occasions where the protagonist questions herself ferociously and essentially acknowledges that she is suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

If you read through any of the HDB routes (ESPECIALLY Raito's), it is heavily apparent that this series is intentionally more horrifying and disturbing than it is a simple romanticized form of abuse.

Unfortunately, the show does a really poor job of getting this across.

In the show, you can certainly feel Yui's fear and desire to escape (more so in the beginning)... but a lot of it is lost in trying to incorporate bits and pieces of each route to the story.

In the show's defense, the anime was my first introduction to the series (like many here) and despite how horrifically Yui was treated and how poorly particular parts were handled.....there were clear visual elements of how psychologically disturbed each of the characters were and I think between that and the visually appealing art, it wasn't hard for me to stay interested.

That being said, the show certainly is very far from being a masterpiece.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Diabolik Lovers Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Sep 16, 2013

230 by WifuSimulator666 »»
Mar 21, 8:42 AM

Poll: » Diabolik Lovers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Sep 23, 2013

191 by oniichantaihei »»
Dec 19, 2023 10:37 AM

Poll: » Diabolik Lovers Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Dec 9, 2013

162 by Starlight2003 »»
Dec 1, 2023 2:46 PM

» Plot?

sharkbay - Jul 19, 2021

10 by Utahime__ »»
Oct 13, 2023 2:42 AM

Poll: » Diabolik Lovers Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2013

105 by averagecupofjo »»
Aug 6, 2023 4:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.