Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 3, 2013 1:29 AM

Dec 2012
Greetings, fellow MAL staff. I want to know why are these anime shows tagged with shounen tags:

1. The Legend of Legendary Heroes.

2. The Devil is a Part-Timer.

3. IS: Infinite Stratos.

4. Scrapped Princess.
Thank you.
I like anime.
Nov 3, 2013 5:48 AM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
Hi, Pat_To_Do-List.

Anime entries often share the same tags as manga they were adapted from. This goes not only for genre tags but for demographic tags also.

And apparently, sometimes it might confuse users...
See, while genres could be narrowed and restrictive, demographics would usually include much broader field of material mixing different themes and approaches. It's just this detail often gets forgotten.

You might also avoid comparing older shounen series with modern ones or some minor shounen series with likes of One Piece, Naruto, etc... They often differ a lot, but this doesn't make modern series (say, "The Devil is a Part-Timer" you've mentioned) less shounen. All four series you have posted do list shounen tag correctly. That also means that, yes, oh so often featured sexual ennuedos and violence does not turn a shounen series into a seinen.

But i agree, it would rise less questions if there was for example a Demographics: field under Genres:. Separating them from each other would be a good way to deal with this problem.
LeknaatNov 3, 2013 5:58 AM
Nov 3, 2013 5:52 AM
May 2012
I see he's making the same thread again.
Nov 3, 2013 5:55 AM

Dec 2012
Leknaat said:
Hi, Pat_To_Do-List.

Anime entries often share the same tags as manga they were adapted from. This goes not only for genre tags but for demographic tags also.

And apparently, sometimes it might confuse users...
See, while genres could be narrowed and restrictive, demographics would usually include much broader field of material mixing different themes and approaches. It's just this detail often gets forgotten.

You might also avoid comparing older shounen series with modern ones or some minor shounen series with likes of One Piece, Naruto, etc... They often differ a lot, but this doesn't make modern series (say, "The Devil is a Part-Timer" you've mentioned) less shounen. All four series you have posted do list shounen tag correctly.

But i agree, it would rise less questions if there was for example a Demographics: field under Genres:. Separating them from each other would be a good way to deal with this problem.

But as stated in Wikipedia, none of their demographics are specifically for shounen, but for male audience. So, I think it is better to remove the shounen tag.

Aesther said:
I see he's making the same thread again.

This is a different thread. Too bad that you did not realize this.
sakaNov 3, 2013 6:42 PM
I like anime.
Nov 3, 2013 5:57 AM
May 2012
>shounen
>implying it's not a male audience
Nov 3, 2013 6:00 AM

Dec 2012
Aesther said:
>shounen
>implying it's not a male audience

Definition of male in English

Shounen
I like anime.
Nov 3, 2013 6:03 AM

Apr 2012
Leknaat said:
This would be great.
Nov 3, 2013 6:17 AM

Dec 2012
EratiK said:
Leknaat said:
This would be great.

Yup.
Nov 3, 2013 6:17 AM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
Pat_To_Do-List, >But as stated in Wikipedia, none of their demographics are specifically for shounen...

Pardon me if I possibly missed you point, but removing demographics tags completely or replacing them with male/female is out of the question. MAL always aims to apply the same demographic categories for anime/manga that is used in Japan. I dont see this changing anytime soon, if ever.
LeknaatNov 29, 2014 11:55 PM
Nov 3, 2013 6:20 AM

Dec 2012
Leknaat said:
Pat_To_Do-List, >But as stated in Wikipedia, none of their demographics are specifically for shounen...

Pardon me if i possibly missed you point, but removing demographics tags completely or replacing them with male/female is out of the question. MAL always aims to apply the same demographic separation for anime/manga that is used in Japan. I dont see this changing anytime soon, if ever.

Then why some of the anime shows do not have any demographic tag?
I like anime.
Nov 3, 2013 6:26 AM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
Pat_To_Do-List, For various reasons. Usually, because of the lack of information on the series.
Inclusion of the demographic tags doesn't either automatically means that every single entry should be tagged right away.

Adding tags in general often could be a tough task.
LeknaatNov 3, 2013 6:33 AM
Nov 3, 2013 6:32 AM

Dec 2012
Leknaat said:
Pat_To_Do-List, For various reasons. Usually, because of the lack of information on the series.
Inclusion of the demographic tags doesn't automatically means that every single entry should be tagged right away.

Adding tags in general often could be a tough task.

Then could you give me any proof on why all of those anime shows tagged with shounen tag?
Pat_To_Do-ListNov 3, 2013 6:39 AM
I like anime.
Nov 3, 2013 6:45 AM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
Pat_To_Do-List said:

Then could you give me any proof on why all of those anime shows tagged with shounen tag?

As i hinted before. Manga this series were adapted from was serialized in magazines aimed at shounen demographic. Inherintace is the usual way how entries get their demographic tag added.
LeknaatNov 3, 2013 7:06 AM
Nov 3, 2013 7:03 AM

Dec 2012
Leknaat said:
As i hinted before. Manga this series were adapted from was serialized in magazines aimed at shounen demographic. Simple as that.

Infinite Stratos serialized in MF Bunko J, & MF Bunko J is a publishing label affiliated with the Japanese publishing company Media Factory. It was established in July 2002 and is a light novel label that is aimed at young adult males with a focus on Visual Novel style plots and harem romantic comedies.

The Legend of Legendary Heroes serialized in Dragon Magazine, & Dragon Magazine is is a Japanese adult light novel and seinen manga magazine, first published in 1988. The magazine became bi-monthly on March 19, 2008.

The Devil is a Part-Timer serialized in Dengeki Bunko, & Dengeki Bunko is Dengeki Bunko (電撃文庫?) is a publishing imprint affiliated with the Japanese publishing company ASCII Media Works (formerly MediaWorks). It was established in June 1993 with the publication of Hyōryū Densetsu Crystania volume one,[1] and is a light novel imprint aimed at a male audience.

Scrapped Princess serialized in Fujimi Fantasia Bunko, & Fujimi Fantasia Bunko is a seinen magazine.
Pat_To_Do-ListNov 3, 2013 7:22 AM
I like anime.
Nov 3, 2013 7:46 AM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
Well, most recent IS: manga http://myanimelist.net/manga/51461/IS:_Infinite_Stratos is tagged shounen, so i guess its finally found the right category it belongs to.

I didn't mentioned that sometimes manga adaptations may be adapted in a way that is more aimed/suited for younger audience. Inheriting demographic tags is the usual way, but there is always a room for consideration and arguing.

Also, most often seinen magazines publish shounen works too, or seinen works are borderlining on shounen. In the end its up to our audience and Manga moderators to keep seinen tag on particular entry or consider it to be a shounen.
LeknaatNov 3, 2013 7:53 AM
Nov 3, 2013 7:52 AM

Dec 2012
Leknaat said:
Well, most recent IS: manga http://myanimelist.net/manga/51461/IS:_Infinite_Stratos is tagged shounen, so i guess its finally found the right category it belongs to.

I didn't mentioned that sometimes manga adaptations may be adapted in a way that is more aimed/suited for younger audience. Inheriting demographic tags is the usual way, but there is always a room for consideration and arguing.

Also, most often seinen magazines publish shounen works too, or seinen works are borderlining on shounen. In the end its up to our audience and Manga moderators to keep seinen tag or consider it to be a shounen.

That is not the most recent, but it is a manga adaptation from the light novel. And all of those anime shows are the adaptations of the original source, and those are light novels. And those light novels do not have shounen demographic.
So in the end, even when I have the proof, I cannot change the mind of MAL's anime DB moderators? Please, listen to reason. I have the proof.

EratiK said:
Aren't light novels intended for highschoolers though? There you go, shounen/shoujo.

Have you read my previous post?
sakaNov 3, 2013 6:42 PM
I like anime.
Nov 3, 2013 8:07 AM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
Pat_To_Do-List, I believe, the difference between LN's, manga and anime adaptation was already explained to you in that another thread.

In my personal opinion, most of the anime adaptations nowdays are aimed at shounen demographic indeed, even if the source is a seinen LN. Thats why you get such an impression of everything tagged shounen. Thats just how things are now. Could as well complain why there is always numerous moe girls in every title.
Nov 3, 2013 8:14 AM

Dec 2012
Leknaat said:
Pat_To_Do-List, I believe, the difference between LN's, manga and anime adaptation was already explained to you in that another thread.

In my personal opinion, most of the anime adaptations nowdays are aimed at shounen demographic indeed, even if the source is a seinen LN. Thats why you get such an impression of everything tagged shounen. Thats how things are now. Could as well complain why there is always numerous moe girls in every title.

No, I have not been explained by anyone about "the difference between LN's, manga and anime adaptation."
As I said before, in the end, it is all about the anime DB moderators personal opinions? So all of those proofs that I have presented are useless?
I like anime.
Nov 3, 2013 8:16 AM
Apr 2013
Pat_To_Do-List said:
Leknaat said:

In my personal opinion, most of the anime adaptations nowdays are aimed at shounen demographic indeed, even if the source is a seinen LN. Thats why you get such an impression of everything tagged shounen. Thats how things are now. Could as well complain why there is always numerous moe girls in every title.

No, I have not been explained by anyone about "the difference between LN's, manga and anime adaptation."
As I said before, in the end, it is all about the anime DB moderators personal opinions? So all of those proofs that I have presented are useless?

Yes.
Nov 3, 2013 8:19 AM

Dec 2012
worldeditor11 said:
Pat_To_Do-List said:

Yes.

If you are right, then this is just ridiculous.
I like anime.
Nov 3, 2013 8:47 AM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
Pat_To_Do-List, The only advice I can give you is to stop bothering yourself with this matter.
I admit that such practice of adding demographic tags to anime entries could be confusing to someone or justification of the tag moderator had chosen could be argued.

But there is not much I can do to help you. We have a set of rules and guidelines with general understanding of the matter. And series you've asked about are tagged correctly.
LeknaatNov 29, 2014 11:56 PM
Nov 3, 2013 9:05 AM

Dec 2012
Leknaat said:
Pat_To_Do-List, The only advice i could give you is to stop bothering yourself with this matter.
I admit that such practice of adding demographic tags to anime entries could be confusing to someone or justification of the tag moderator had chosen could be argued.

But there is not much i can do to help you. We have a set of rules and guidelines with general understanding of the matter. And series you've asked about are tagged correctly.

I will take that advice into consideration.
Could you at least tell me the proof of why did you tag them with shounen tags?
Where is this rules & guidelines about this matter? Could you show me?
And if you wanted to say that you do not care about my advice regarding this matter, please just say it. You do not have to sugar-coat it.
I like anime.
Nov 3, 2013 9:22 AM
Anime DB Admin
Apr 2008
Thats true, to some extent. I am not excited about long talks regarding tags, but i do wish it could be in my powers to successfully resolve your concerns. :)

I didn't tagged any of this series personally, but i would not go removing or replacing shounen with seinen either.

>Where is this rules & guidelines about this matter? Could you show me?
Apart from anime and manga guidelines (and inheritance i mentioned earlier) there is nothing in particular on tags other than this - http://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=genre . But it should be reworked someday, so that users could find it actually useful.
Nov 3, 2013 5:05 PM

Dec 2012
Leknaat said:
Thats true, to some extent. I am not excited about long talks regarding tags, but i do wish it could be in my powers to successfully resolve your concerns. :)

I didn't tagged any of this series personally, but i would not go removing or replacing shounen with seinen either.

>Where is this rules & guidelines about this matter? Could you show me?
Apart from anime and manga guidelines (and inheritance i mentioned earlier) there is nothing in particular on tags other than this - http://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=genre . But it should be reworked someday, so that users could find it actually useful.

You are an anime moderator & you do not have any power regarding this? Really?
Why would you not? Because I am not a moderator? Because my proof is not enough? Please explain.
That is not helping at all. Those are just simple explanations about anime show's genre. If you do not have any proof at all about this practice, the I am sorry to say that MAL's anime DB moderators are pretty much incapable in resolving this matter.
Since I think you cannot help with this, could you tell you higher-ups that I want to talk to them about this weird demographic-tagging practice? Just tell them I am waiting here for them.
I like anime.
Nov 3, 2013 6:48 PM

May 2008
Just on the Genre/Demographic thing, it has been suggested before and acknowledged. It is understood that shounen is a demographic and not a genre. There is just no other spot for it on the anime page currently. It's on a long list of issues that were passed to developers but is a low priority after more immediate fixes.

As for how demographics are selected and labeled, I think it has been explained... and generally there is weight given to the source rather than subjective appraisal of the contents of the show.

I am a banana.
Nov 3, 2013 7:05 PM

Dec 2012
saka said:
Just on the Genre/Demographic thing, it has been suggested before and acknowledged. It is understood that shounen is a demographic and not a genre. There is just no other spot for it on the anime page currently. It's on a long list of issues that were passed to developers but is a low priority after more immediate fixes.

As for how demographics are selected and labeled, I think it has been explained... and generally there is weight given to the source rather than subjective appraisal of the contents of the show.

I do not think that is the point. What I am saying is, change the shounen tags from the anime shows that I have mentioned to seinen(but for The Devil is a Part-Timer, just remove the shounen tag). Because that is their demographics.
No one has explained it to me how it tagged(at least not in elaborate way).
I have posted the source of every one of them, & none of them are shounen. If you have not read it, please read it right away.
Anyway, please tell your higher-ups that I am waiting here to discuss this matter.
I like anime.
Nov 4, 2013 3:33 AM

Sep 2012
Actually I would say it is confusing to attach tags like shounen, seinen for anime because in Japan nobody says "shounen anime" or "seinen anime". Shounen and seinen tags apply only to manga (and it is getting increasingly blurred too), so for anime adapted from manga there may still some meaning to call it shounen or seinen but even so in Japan people would say "anime adapted from shounen manga" instead of "shounen anime".

And in the examples Pat_To_Do-List mentioned, the anime were adapted from Light Novels, and there is no tag like "shounen" or "seinen" used for LN in Japan . One thing that always keeps me puzzled is how often posters here in MAL call an anime adapted from LN as "shounen" and "seinen" (and even debate keenly about it) when such labels do not exist for LNs at all in Japan, and I can see how the tags in MAL DB could have contributed to the confusion.

Personally I would prefer that tags like "shounen" and "seinen" to be used in the DB only for anime adapted from manga, and not LN.

The fact that IS manga is a shounen manga says little about whether the anime is shounen or not because the manga is not what the anime was adapted from. Otherwise, just because the manga of AKB0048 is serialized in shoujo manga magazine, should we thus call AKB0048 a shoujo anime?
symbvNov 4, 2013 3:51 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 4, 2013 3:39 AM

Dec 2012
symbv said:
Actually I would say it is confusing to attach tags like shounen, seinen for anime because in Japan nobody says "shounen anime" or "seinen anime". Shounen and seinen tags apply only to manga (and it is getting increasingly blurred too), so for anime adapted from manga there may still some meaning to call it shounen or seinen but even so in Japan people would say "anime adapted from shounen manga" instead of "shounen anime".

And in the examples Pat_To_Do-List mentioned, the anime were adapted from Light Novels, and there is no tags like "shounen" or "seinen" there. One thing that keeps me puzzled is how often posters here in MAL call an anime adapted from LN as "shounen" and "seinen" when such labels do not exist at all in Japan, and I can see how the tags in MAL DB could have contributed to the confusion.

Personally I would prefer that tags like "shounen" and "seinen" to be used in the DB only for anime adapted from manga, and not LN.

The fact that IS manga is a shounen manga says little about whether the anime is shounen or not because the manga is not what the anime was adapted from. Otherwise, just because the manga of AKB0048 is serialized in shoujo manga magazine, should we thus call AKB0048 a shoujo anime?

Thank you very much.
I like anime.
Nov 7, 2013 7:51 AM

Nov 2011
symbv said:

And in the examples Pat_To_Do-List mentioned, the anime were adapted from Light Novels, and there is no tag like "shounen" or "seinen" used for LN in Japan . One thing that always keeps me puzzled is how often posters here in MAL call an anime adapted from LN as "shounen" and "seinen" (and even debate keenly about it) when such labels do not exist for LNs at all in Japan, and I can see how the tags in MAL DB could have contributed to the confusion.

I was going to post something similiar, but it seems you already explained it better than I could.

I would like to add that even some anime adapted from manga have the wrong tags, like Wangan Midnight which is a seinen manga.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8684 by Psychomorphosis »»
6 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

681 by SurgingSoulZX »»
Yesterday, 7:33 AM

» My Daemon ( 1 2 )

marcolacson - Nov 26, 2023

50 by veduHMY »»
Apr 23, 3:36 PM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GanjiTheDude - Mar 30, 2023

756 by YoshiYogurt »»
Apr 20, 1:12 PM

» Could we stop having Justin Cook at the start of every anime entry's staff list?

El-Melloi - Jul 29, 2023

10 by MadanielFL »»
Apr 20, 11:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.