Forum Settings
Forums

'Akira' Director Katsuhiro Otomo and Hatsune Miku's 'Father' Hirayuki Itou to be Awarded Medals of Honor

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Nov 3, 2013 1:25 AM
May 2012
Congratulations to them ^_^

That is pretty cool :D
Nov 3, 2013 1:30 AM

Nov 2009
Miku was the beginning of vocaloid as a whole, that 'father' completely deserves that award. Especially for the contributions for the music industry. Vocaloid remains strong! :3
Nov 3, 2013 2:41 AM
Nov 2013
Wow congrats! Great show!
Nov 3, 2013 2:54 AM
Aug 2013
Congrats
Nov 3, 2013 3:18 AM
Jul 2013
Gratz to them,but I think that the title of the award is kinda... misleading.

Usually, when I hear Medal of Honor, I'd reckon that it is given to those who give their life in combat... like sacrifice their life in combat. If I go by that logic, these dudes would be dead?
Nov 3, 2013 3:31 AM

Jul 2009
Haven't watched Akira due to the awfully detailed, gory content, but it probably deserves the prize as it did awake recognizion of anime to some of the older inhabitants here in the west.

Miku deserves it 100% though.
Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle! Muscle Muscle! Hustle Hustle!
Nov 3, 2013 3:57 AM
Mar 2013
Xinception said:

Usually, when I hear Medal of Honor, I'd reckon that it is given to those who give their life in combat... like sacrifice their life in combat. If I go by that logic, these dudes would be dead?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medals_of_Honor_(Japan)

The URL kind of fails, don't click on it but copy it into your address bar but basically, this is what they're called. : )
[b]Join #myanimelist on RizonIRC![b]
(^∇^)

Nov 3, 2013 3:58 AM

Aug 2013
Congratulations !

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
Nov 3, 2013 4:38 AM

Oct 2009
This is a good news, I think both award are well deserved.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Nov 3, 2013 4:50 AM

Oct 2008
I very happy Katsuhiro Otomo gets this award. Akira is a timeless classic, the movie and especially the manga.
Nov 3, 2013 6:10 AM

May 2013
Xinception said:

They get it for surviving the onslaught of haters.

Hirayuki Itou > Katsuhiro Otomo
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Nov 3, 2013 8:51 AM

Oct 2009
Well deserved! Congrats to both of em!

IntroverTurtle said:

I think Oda should get this next or go ahead and make him a living national treasure.

Nov 3, 2013 10:45 AM
Nov 2012
I never expected Miku to get her creator an award. But anyways, congratulations to both of them.
Nov 3, 2013 11:36 AM
Jun 2010
Amazing, its important to see anime and manga so well regarded and appreciated.

Nice
Nov 3, 2013 12:30 PM

Aug 2011
So many Vocaloid haters here lol

I suspect many of the people here who claim to dislike Vocaloid songs have only heard the stereotypical "annoying" sounding ones. Vocaloid isn't a genre, it's a medium in which to create music. Ironically, that's the exact same misconception people tend to have about anime.

Anyways, both awards are well-deserved, so congrats to the recipients.
Nov 3, 2013 5:23 PM
Feb 2013
congratulations. you two really deserve it
Nov 3, 2013 6:15 PM

Sep 2012
Mogami-kun said:
I always found Akira to be vastly overrated, but it's nice to see Hiroyuki Itou getting an award. Congratulations to both of them.
You may find Akira vastly overrated, but nobody can deny the vast influence it had, both domestically and overseas, and this is what can't be overrated.

Anyway, the count of "ribbons" awarded this year:

Red Ribbon: 2 (saving life)
Green Ribbon: 30 (volunteerism)
Yellow Ribbon: 262 (dedication to cause)
Purple Ribbon: 16 (contribution from the fields of arts, culture, sports or academic studies)
Blue Ribbon: 485 (achievements in work of public interest)

symbvNov 3, 2013 6:18 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 3, 2013 10:27 PM

Aug 2009
Grats to both of them, but I think Katsuhiro definitely deserved it more, considering how long hes been making manga and anime. I highly suggest checking out the Akira manga, it's much more well-rounded and gives the characters move development as well as his other manga (I just started Legend of Mother Sarah recently, great stuff).

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Nov 4, 2013 1:05 AM

Oct 2012
Gratz, Miku no otou-samaaaaaaaaaa!! :)
"Signature removed"
Nov 4, 2013 2:19 AM

Apr 2012
Congratulations to both! I certainly don't hate their achievements.
"Rejoice! We are humans— we are the most talented people! Precisely because we were born without any ability— we can achieve anything— this is the will of the weakest race!" – Sora, ‘No game No life Vol.01’
Nov 4, 2013 5:23 AM

Nov 2008
Congrats
Nov 4, 2013 1:01 PM

Jul 2010
Glad to see Hiroyuki Itou getting award.
Nov 4, 2013 2:55 PM

Aug 2011
MagicFlier said:
Miku was the beginning of vocaloid as a whole, that 'father' completely deserves that award. Especially for the contributions for the music industry. Vocaloid remains strong! :3
Miku was most definitely not the first.
Nov 4, 2013 3:00 PM

Nov 2010
DraconisMarch said:
MagicFlier said:
Miku was most definitely not the first.
He said beginning not first. I believe he's saying that she's the one who got vocaloids so popular not that she was the first.
Nov 5, 2013 1:45 AM

Jan 2013
Adair said:
So many Vocaloid haters here lol

I suspect many of the people here who claim to dislike Vocaloid songs have only heard the stereotypical "annoying" sounding ones. Vocaloid isn't a genre, it's a medium in which to create music. Ironically, that's the exact same misconception people tend to have about anime.

Anyways, both awards are well-deserved, so congrats to the recipients.

This one is pretty trippy. A fat blunt and this go more perfect then bread and butter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CN2qKr7HWg
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
6 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 11 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
8 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 10 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
10 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
10 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.