Forum Settings
Forums

What's the weirdest reason you've avoided or dropped an anime?

New
Nov 2, 2013 5:31 PM

Dec 2012
Simply put, has there ever been an anime where, despite logic and common sense, you just can't get into it for the most outrageous of reasons? Did you drop Naruto because your shoe was untied? Put SAO on hold because you sneezed 4 times during episode 23? Try to be as specific as possible and explain why if you can. As for me -

One Piece: I've had this on hold for about 8-9 months now and started to get back into it again 2 weeks ago. After watching about 10 episodes, I was fiercely building up momentum to marathon and catch up before Halloween. And then I reached episode 591 - the episode where the opening is supposed to change.

Only problem is, Funimation supposedly doesn't have the rights to the new OP (how the hell does that work?) so in their subs they have to keep using the last opening song. For me, the OP is an important mood setter for a series, and despite liking "We Go!", I was sick of hearing it for over 1.5 years. In turn, this killed all momentum and now I feel like putting it on hold for another year.

Now yes yes, I understand how trivial and pointless this reason is, I don't need suggestions I know all of the simple and easy fix solutions to this. The thing is, the desire is gone and now I've lost interest. So I ask again, what are your most nonsensical reasons for putting something on hold, dropping it, or flat out avoiding it?

- Please be sure to use
as necessary.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 2, 2013 5:37 PM

Apr 2013
Forgetfulness said:
I haven't watched Clannad yet, solely because dem eyes

Pretty much this. I was avoiding Clannad for awhile because the eyes just bugged me.
an egomaniac and a fool

Nov 2, 2013 5:38 PM

Oct 2011
The OP changed already, you're almost there

OT: I think Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I am waiting for the right time to watch it because I don't want it to disappoint me.
Nov 2, 2013 5:39 PM
Apr 2013
I dropped Aria after watching 2 episodes because i hate the cat among other reasons.
Nov 2, 2013 5:41 PM

Sep 2012
Clannad eyes aren't that bad.

There, I said it. They are comparable to other anime eyes.
Nov 2, 2013 5:42 PM

Oct 2013
LevailRenn said:
Forgetfulness said:

Pretty much this. I was avoiding Clannad for awhile because the eyes just bugged me.

+3

I avoid any anime with stupid or bad character designs.

Edit: This anime is the epitome of stupid character designs http://myanimelist.net/anime/16592/Danganronpa:_Kibou_no_Gakuen_to_Zetsubou_no_Koukousei_-_The_Animation
Nov 2, 2013 5:42 PM

Apr 2012
I dropped Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru within the first 3 minutes solely because the MC's (the girl) voice was freaking schrill annoying.
Nov 2, 2013 5:45 PM

Aug 2011
Red_Keys said:

I've never got the complaint about their eyes, I don't see what's wrong with them.
Nov 2, 2013 5:47 PM

Oct 2011
mitch3315 said:
Red_Keys said:

I've never got the complaint about their eyes, I don't see what's wrong with them.

Because it's moe
Nov 2, 2013 5:48 PM

Jan 2009
One Piece because its too darn long to watch
Nov 2, 2013 5:48 PM

Aug 2011
BlueKite said:
mitch3315 said:
Red_Keys said:

Because it's moe

Moe is a bad thing?
Nov 2, 2013 5:49 PM
Oct 2010
Dropped K when a certain character appeared.
Nov 2, 2013 5:50 PM

Dec 2012
Forgetfulness said:

I was the same, I put it off for so long and watched other romance anime. Needless to say when I finally watched it I was blown away of how good it was and I felt stupid for avoiding it because of something trivial like the art style.

Nov 2, 2013 5:51 PM

Oct 2011
mitch3315 said:
BlueKite said:
mitch3315 said:
Red_Keys said:

Because it's moe

Moe is a bad thing?

To some, yes they abhor it
Nov 2, 2013 5:52 PM

Dec 2012
I'll admit I've never quite understood the Clannad eye design complaint either, I think they're all precious little gems. But from a non anime viewer's perspective, I can see how people would get the wrong impression about anime as a whole when looking at them, since I often see people referring to those character designs when claiming anime is girly and stupid.

worldeditor11 said:
I dropped Aria after watching 2 episodes because i hate the cat among other reasons.

Oh man, the pig-cat hybrid thing always did my head in until the second half of Natural, then he grew on me and I found him hilarious.
Nov 2, 2013 5:52 PM

Sep 2012
mitch3315 said:
Red_Keys said:

Me either. They just look like all other anime eyes to me.

On the question, let's see... I'm avoiding watching SnK as I cannot get rid of the feeling that I am going to deeply hate it for some reason. Never even seen an episode of it, I just feel that way.

For dropped, I stopped watching FMA Brotherhood despite the fact I was really liking it as I could tell that I would begin not liking it soon or something like that. I stopped watching Robotics;Notes when it was revealed the one guy's dad was against that one guy building robots, due to the fact that's a plot point that really annoys me. Most of the times I have no reason for stopping to watch the show besides the fact I just decide I want to watch something else.
Another page to the history of the Fujaku.
Nov 2, 2013 5:56 PM

Oct 2013
If i don't like the art style i don't bother.
Nov 2, 2013 6:01 PM
Apr 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:

Oh man, the pig-cat hybrid thing always did my head in until the second half of Natural, then he grew on me and I found him hilarious.

The thing is, I dont find it/her/him hilarious at all. I found the concept of the cat being on the story is quite stupid. Its the second episode where they use the cat "weird antics" as a sub-plot for this particular episode that get me to think "Yeah, i gonna drop this show right now". And i did.
Nov 2, 2013 6:02 PM

Dec 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
I'll admit I've never quite understood the Clannad eye design complaint either,

They are ugly? too big? cover more than half of their face? make them look like aliens and bugs? it's even worse than Shoujo's ?

The character design as a whole is extremely generic. Tomoya and some of the male characters have normal eyes but all of the girls eyes are unnecessarily big for ''moe' and to look cute but' they just looked creepy and appalling for me. Thank god that the style died.

This picture seems appropriate here:
http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p654/AraragixHitagi/202_zps0c9cb222.jpg
tsudecimoNov 2, 2013 6:08 PM
Nov 2, 2013 6:07 PM

Sep 2012
I dropped Busou Renkin for reasons even I don't know. One week I was watching it, suddenly in the next I wasn't anymore.
I also dropped Bleach because it was shit. Weird, right?
Nov 2, 2013 6:09 PM

Sep 2013
Dropped Gosick cause the MC said "Bikutorika" one time too much.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Nov 2, 2013 6:27 PM

Oct 2011
tsudecimo said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

They are ugly? too big? cover more than half of their face? make them look like aliens and bugs? it's even worse than Shoujo's ?

The character design as a whole is extremely generic. Tomoya and some of the male characters have normal eyes but all of the girls eyes are unnecessarily big for ''moe' and to look cute but' they just looked creepy and appalling for me. Thank god that the style died.

Maybe I just got used to it since we're living in the age of moe and fanservice
Nov 2, 2013 6:35 PM

Mar 2013
i drop an anime when the stupidness level surpasses mine.
Baka
Nov 2, 2013 6:42 PM
Jul 2018
I didn't watch Magi because it had a 16th-century rapier in a pre-Islamic Arabia.
Nov 2, 2013 6:44 PM
Jul 2013
Accel World: The design of Haruyuki Arita put me off so much.
It wasn't even because he was fat or short but the way his art was also different from everything else too.
Him being fat and short was a factor too though...
Nov 2, 2013 6:50 PM

Dec 2012
tsudecimo said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

In other words - preference. But fair enough, I understand your points.

Neane1993_ said:
I didn't watch Magi because it had a 16th-century rapier in a pre-Islamic Arabia.

That's gold, I like that one.
Nov 2, 2013 6:52 PM

Apr 2013
Dropped KuroKami (Black God) The Animation on the 3rd episode, for completely changing the entire story, being rushed and changing the characters personalities etc (Worst anime I have seen so far).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2013 7:02 PM

Aug 2011
While Bleach became generally less enjoyable after the Soul Society arc, I think a big reason for me dropping it was simply because they started censoring the blood more (like turning it black) :I

I forced myself not to watch Kuragehime just because it apparently had an unresolved love triangle in the ongoing manga, but that turned out to be quite a pointless reason.

Overall, I am extremely picky when it comes to adaptations following the source material... Lost most of my motivation for Twelve Kingdoms once I found out that two supporting characters (that I considered important enough) were filler, and it's made me stop considering watching many other anime completely. Pretty annoying.
Nov 2, 2013 7:20 PM

Oct 2013
Bleach, when it started turning into Dragon Ball Z.
Nov 2, 2013 7:28 PM

Aug 2013
I put off watching Ano Hana because the title poster thing looked too light hearted.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Nov 2, 2013 7:34 PM

Apr 2012
Slayermaster said:
I put off watching Ano Hana because the title poster thing looked too light hearted.

Good choice, the anime isnt really that good, youre not missing anything.
Nov 2, 2013 7:43 PM

Oct 2013
I dropped most stupid ecchi anime I've watched because they were just pathetic.
Coño!
Nov 2, 2013 8:02 PM

Aug 2012
Dropped Mushi-shi because I was oddly creeped out for some reason, even though I'm normally indifferent to creepy stuff.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Nov 2, 2013 8:05 PM

Jul 2013
mitch3315 said:
Red_Keys said:

the eyes are fine, even if you do have a problem with them I'm sure that the sheer greatness of clannad outwieghs it.
"Okarin... Okarin... I don't know who that is, but when I say his name, I feel warm inside" - Mayuri "Mayushii" Shiina
Nov 2, 2013 8:23 PM

Apr 2012
Forgetfulness said:
baki502 said:
Slayermaster said:

He already watched it...and he gave ita 9/10

And thats why people sholdnt have the freedom of choice.
Nov 2, 2013 8:25 PM

Oct 2011
baki502 said:
Forgetfulness said:
baki502 said:
Slayermaster said:

What's wrong with choosing freely?
Nov 2, 2013 8:26 PM

Nov 2013
kuuurt said:
I dropped Maid-sama because Usui infuriates me for being "too perfect."

I hate "perfect" guys.

Well you must hate me ;)
Nov 2, 2013 8:27 PM

Nov 2010
BlueKite said:
baki502 said:
Forgetfulness said:
baki502 said:
Slayermaster said:

Because they can watch anime he sees as bad.
Nov 2, 2013 8:28 PM

Apr 2012
BlueKite said:
baki502 said:
Forgetfulness said:
baki502 said:
Slayermaster said:

I hate freedom. People should be my slaves and worship me as god.
Nov 2, 2013 9:40 PM
Jul 2012
Higurashi's first 10 seconds are the worst first ten seconds I've ever seen in anime, screw this not giving it a chance, probably bad in a similar way elfen lied and mirai nikki were bad
Nov 2, 2013 9:42 PM

Aug 2013
Litrydow said:
I dropped Busou Renkin for reasons even I don't know. One week I was watching it, suddenly in the next I wasn't anymore.
I also dropped Bleach because it was shit. Weird, right?
That happened to me with Deadman Wonderland. When it now came out I would watch a new episode every week but for some reason I just stopped watching it and can't remember the last episode I saw. It was not like the anime became boring or I lost interest in it I just stopped watching it.

I dropped SAO because I don't like fairies . The anime should of only been in SAO no other game.
I'm avoiding continuing Xamd because when the guy transforms he looks like some type of Digimon.
I dropped Valvrave because it seemed like a generic mech anime.
Nov 2, 2013 9:44 PM

Aug 2013
baki502 said:
Shall I begin the goat sacrifices, my lord?
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Nov 2, 2013 9:46 PM

Oct 2013
I also dropped Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko after about 15 minutes. All the characters in this anime look around 16-15 yet the female MC who appears to like the Male MC looks about 6. This is not an overstatement or an understatement.
Nov 2, 2013 9:47 PM

Aug 2011
baki502 said:
BlueKite said:
baki502 said:
Forgetfulness said:
baki502 said:
Slayermaster said:

I'm happy to worship you in secret, as long as I'm allowed to keep my free will and trash talk you as a fake god in public.
Nov 2, 2013 9:48 PM

Jun 2012
I almost dropped Hanasaku Iroha after that old bitch slapped Ohana. It just rubber me so completely the wrong way that I was sick to my stomach. Really glad I didn't drop it though.

Dropped Champloo for a rape joke and duel to the death for honor. Both rubbed me the wrong way. Will pick that up again though. Wasn't very used to anime when I saw that.

Both cases that are really weird to me because normally I love these kind of scene's. I suppose that says something about the quality of storytelling of these anime.
Nov 2, 2013 10:05 PM

Oct 2013
Forgetfulness said:

I'm on my third attempt to get through Clannad right now. I really like romance anime, but this one... The eyes aren't bad, but when combined with the freakishly tiny mouths you get a look to the characters (especially Nagisa) that's just really off-putting.
Nov 2, 2013 10:13 PM

Feb 2010
Can't recall any time I dropped a show for a weird reason.

Tarextherex said:
Higurashi's first 10 seconds are the worst first ten seconds I've ever seen in anime, screw this not giving it a chance, probably bad in a similar way elfen lied and mirai nikki were bad

You couldn't be more wrong.
Nov 2, 2013 10:26 PM

Mar 2012
Elfen Lied because when I was younger it had such disturbing imagery that God only knows what would have happened if my parents walked in on me. I didn't want to deal with that so I just dropped it.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Favorite Spring 2024 OP/ED?

Serafos - Apr 15

21 by AE-2 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

14 by luckyrune »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 11 hours ago

22 by Piromysl »»
1 hour ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - Yesterday

47 by Piromysl »»
1 hour ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

44 by Azuchi »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.