How would you rate this anime?
Nov 1, 2013 4:18 AM

Nov 2008
Spotlight Anime: Touhai Densetsu Akagi: Yami ni Maiorita Tensai

MAL Series Information Page - Touhai Densetsu Akagi: Yami ni Maiorita Tensai

Score: 8.09 (scored by 13429 users)
Ranked: #376
Popularity: #799

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the series that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticize and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Touhai Densetsu Akagi: Yami ni Maiorita Tensai was NOT inducted into the club Anime list:
18 Yes - 58.1%
13 No - 41.9%

61 Don't know this anime - 61.0% of the total number polled
8 Abstained - 8.0% of the total number polled
Orion1Jun 8, 2014 4:49 PM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 4, 2013 10:42 AM

Jan 2010
Animation - 9. Done by madhouse, the best in the business at adapting styles especially Fukumoto's.
Sound - 9. Love the soundtrack. Voice acting is top notch.
Characters - 8. Entertaining characters. Akagi is the only focus and he's still somehow fascinating despite being the same throughout.
Story - 8. Very straightforward. You either like it or you don't. The descent into the underworld and his rise as its undisputed king is pretty fun.
Enjoyment - 10. Akagi wrecking shit and breaking down his opponents will always be amusing. You don't need to know mahjong to watch it. Watched it before and after i learned, enjoyed it a lot both times.
Nov 5, 2013 9:45 AM

Jan 2010
I have no idea what is gong on in this show and had to stop because I wanted to enjoy it but couldn't. There is definitely a barrier to entry with this show if you don't know anything about mahjong. I decided to put it on-hold until I learn how to play.

The other complaint I have with the show though only five episodes in is that Akagi himself is boring and not endearing or entertaining at all. He's just some 'badass' teenager with seemingly no other personality traits. Might change later, but that bothered me in the little I have seen.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Nov 6, 2013 3:40 AM

Nov 2008
NavyCherub said:
I have no idea what is gong on in this show and had to stop because I wanted to enjoy it but couldn't. There is definitely a barrier to entry with this show if you don't know anything about mahjong. I decided to put it on-hold until I learn how to play.

The other complaint I have with the show though only five episodes in is that Akagi himself is boring and not endearing or entertaining at all. He's just some 'badass' teenager with seemingly no other personality traits. Might change later, but that bothered me in the little I have seen.
The later arcs take place after a timeskip, if I remember correctly. And the reason I don't fully rcall if there was a timeskip between the first and second arcs is because Akagi doesn't really change in any noticeable way, not even visually. It doesn't have a proper ending either.

As far as I am concerned, Akagi is a pretty easy "no" vote.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Nov 6, 2013 8:19 AM

Jan 2010
It doesn't really matter how old he is if he keeps that same edgemaster attitude.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Nov 10, 2013 8:20 PM

Aug 2008
Akagi is the bloodmaster. He knows what to do with precious, precious blood...

If you're stingy then click on CLuClu!
Please consider supporting the end of disenfranchisement on MAL.
Purpose is subjective, therefore quality is subjective.
Nov 14, 2013 9:01 PM

Sep 2011
NavyCherub said:
He's just some 'badass' teenager with seemingly no other personality traits. Might change later, but that bothered me in the little I have seen.

Akagi never changes, not once, in the entire show.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.