Forum Settings
Forums

'Genshiken' to Get New OVA Bundled With Special Edition of Vol.15 of Manga

New
Oct 28, 2013 11:13 PM

Sep 2012
The special edition of volume 15 of manga "Genshiken" (also named volume 6 of "Genshiken Nidaime") will contain an OVA adapted from the story of volume 9 about the characters making a hatsumoude visit to the Naritasan Shrine during the new year. The manga will be released on December 20th. The manga was earlier adapted into three TV series and one OVA series. "Genshiken Nidaime," the latest TV series, just finished airing in September 2013.

Source: Natalie, Afternoon

Genshiken Nidaime OVA on MAL
NaruleachDec 10, 2013 5:31 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Oct 28, 2013 11:21 PM

Dec 2012
More "cute version" of Genshiken(aka Genshiken Nidaime)? No, thank you. I will pass.
I like anime.
Oct 28, 2013 11:43 PM

Aug 2010
Kind of wish there was another season, without the BL focus and no focus on cross dresser. I really enjoyed the quality of the season, I just hated what they focused on.
Oct 28, 2013 11:44 PM

Dec 2012
ovoon7 said:
Kind of wish there was another season, without the BL focus and no focus on cross dresser. I really enjoyed the quality of the season, I just hated what they focused on.

I absolutely agree with you.
I like anime.
Oct 28, 2013 11:59 PM

Jul 2009
just make the OVA less Hato centric and i'd be fine with it. got too much of it in Nidame
If your going to complain that Yu-Gi-Oh! Mangas are on the top NY times manga best sellers, you must not realize how popular Card games are(as well as the fact that you get a free card).
Oct 29, 2013 12:51 AM

Nov 2011
Always been a fan of Genshiken so I'll definitely look forward to this.
Oct 29, 2013 1:19 AM

May 2013
Nice to get an OVA. Love the anime.
Oct 29, 2013 2:24 AM

Sep 2007
Pat_To_Do-List said:
More "cute version" of Genshiken(aka Genshiken Nidaime)? No, thank you. I will pass.

Agreed but I will probably watch to 'complete' the series ...

Oct 29, 2013 3:38 AM

Sep 2012
Pat_To_Do-List said:
ovoon7 said:

I absolutely agree with you.
But that's what the manga is about!?!? I don't understand this when people want the anime to be something other than the original material's story. Hato's story was very important. I liked it.

It is odd that they are reaching back to volume 9 for the OVA however, considering that this season was beyond that. Ah well, at least it isn't the usual anime-only OVA this production committee usually does (Nazo no Kanojo X, Sukitte, Tonari no Kaibutsu kun, Chihayafuru...). But that might lower my chances of getting it as I was hoping it would take the story further.

Do disc sales even matter for this series after 3 seasons and several OVAs? Not like any past seasons have crossed the Manabi Line...
Oct 29, 2013 3:48 AM

Dec 2012
hpulley said:
But that's what the manga is about!?!? I don't understand this when people want the anime to be something other than the original material's story. Hato's story was very important. I liked it.

That is too bad that you do not understand.
I like anime.
Oct 29, 2013 3:59 AM

Sep 2012
Pat_To_Do-List said:
hpulley said:

That is too bad that you do not understand.
I don't understand and won't if you don't enlighten me obviously...

It seems with poor disc sales that Japanese otaku also agree with you that this season wasn't good but if this is what was in the manga then I really don't understand why people were surprised. Aside from the last episode the adaptation was quite faithful.
Oct 29, 2013 4:07 AM

Dec 2012
hpulley said:
It seems with poor disc sales that Japanese otaku also agree with you that this season wasn't good but if this is what was in the manga then I really don't understand why people were surprised. Aside from the last episode the adaptation was quite faithful.

Then the manga(the "Genshiken Nidaime" part) is not good too.
I like anime.
Oct 29, 2013 4:36 AM

Sep 2012
hpulley said:
I don't think Japanese fans necessarily think that the anime is not good. It is just that they may have fun watching it but not really would like to pay a fortune to buy and own the BD/DVD. The subject matter of a trap, even though it looks exactly like a girl and is voiced by a girl, is not easy to sell as something to "moe" about.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 29, 2013 4:44 AM

Sep 2012
symbv said:
hpulley said:
I don't think Japanese fans necessarily think that the anime is not good. It is just that they may have fun watching it but not really would like to pay a fortune to buy and own the BD/DVD. The subject matter of a trap, even though it looks exactly like a girl and is voiced by a girl, is not easy to sell as something to "moe" about.
I didn't buy it either. I buy the manga which I really enjoy and don't find the anime adds enough for me to justify buying it. And it doesn't seem like something I'll want to watch again and again. So I'm not really surprised by the low sales numbers but I really shouldn't compare myself to Japanese otaku. I'm in the right seinen demographic for this one but I am not Japanese...

But again, the trap is in the manga. It isn't voiced in the manga. The choice to use male and female VAs for the trap is interesting. I wish they'd used one actor. There are many female VAs who also play male parts and this was a perfect chance for it.
hpulleyOct 29, 2013 5:03 AM
Oct 29, 2013 5:44 AM

Jul 2008
Pat_To_Do-List said:

What, not from what I understand from reading this? It says volume 9, AKA the last volume of the original Genshiken, not Nidaime.

From what I remember S2 of the anime stopped even before the shrine visit though, so too bad they're not adapting the entire hole between the Genshiken and Genshiken Nidaime anime.

But at least it's something.

Oct 29, 2013 6:14 AM

Sep 2012
Dudewitbow said:
just make the OVA less Hato centric and i'd be fine with it. got too much of it in Nidame
Since it is based on vol.9 it is not even Nidaime yet, so no Hato at all. If you click on the links i provided as Source, you will see that the key visual does not have Hato in it.

Oct 29, 2013 6:31 AM

Dec 2012
Nickienator said:
Pat_To_Do-List said:

What, not from what I understand from reading this? It says volume 9, AKA the last volume of the original Genshiken, not Nidaime.

From what I remember S2 of the anime stopped even before the shrine visit though, so too bad they're not adapting the entire hole between the Genshiken and Genshiken Nidaime anime.

But at least it's something.

Oh, I see. Thank you for the explanation. Then this is a really good news. I will definitely watch this OVA.
I like anime.
Oct 29, 2013 8:48 AM

Aug 2012
More Genshiken is always good.
Oct 29, 2013 9:38 AM

Feb 2010
Great, looking forward to this :)
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 1, 2013 8:32 AM
May 2012
Oh this is really good news!!!

I'm just planning on watching the whole "Genshiken" Anime soon everything related to it and I have a feeling that I'll really like it :D
Nov 17, 2013 4:37 PM
Oct 2008
I really miss the old Genshiken... and if they plan to get the Karuizawa Onsen trip animated i'd definitely watch it... because it was only mentioned in the last episode of Nidaime ;/.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
41 minutes ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.