Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 27, 2013 9:07 PM

Aug 2013
nomanz said:
Champloo_Remix said:
Rinth said:
Sub. There are bad dubs, and that's one of the worst. Try ignoring unhelpful trolls who care more about expressing their taste than helping people make informed choices.

I guess it sounds like the dub deserves no slack. What's bad about it in particular?

is there so many particulars in what a "bad dub" is?

It's pretty simple - it's like acting.

Imagine watching forest gump with a whole bunch of inexperienced actors
instead of tom fucking hanks.

Would the movie be the same?

I'm not going to get into dub vs sub here but I will say this - Japs take voice
acting very serious with their anime. Much harder to land a job doing it.

Dubbing is far easier to get a role in - much less experience required.
Much less monitoring/quality assurance put into it.

ANYWAYS.

The acting in the dub for it is more so just poor acting/annoying voices/not 100% accurate translation.

So many things wrong with this comment, but I'm not gonna bother. Moving on.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Oct 28, 2013 1:55 AM

Jul 2013
I like the dub of this more than most dubs but to me Yuno sounds robotic in the dub instead of coming off as possessive and crazy like in the sub. I quite prefer the voice actor for the God of time and for Yuki. Uryu (one of my fav characters) also sounds fairly good in the dub. But like someone previously said, the voice actors are specially chosen to portray the character so you'll know the true character when you watch the subs.
Just to let you know, I watched the anime in subs.
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
- Doflamingo
Nov 12, 2013 5:57 AM
Sep 2013
hybreezy said:
Either way, I can't imagine the choice of dub or sub elevating the show in any way.

It most certainly can.

I'm huge on artwork and visuals when it comes to any visual entertainment medium. I enjoy seeing every last detail in whatever it is I'm dealing with. Sub's detract from that; any time spent reading text is time I couldn't use to take in the visuals, no matter how little or unimportant they may be during that moment; an OCD, I know.

There's also the fact that I understand absolutely no Japanese, so as far as I'm concerned, all they're doing is making noise. When I read, I create a mental voice for whoever said what I read, I imagine what they would sound like. Unfortunately, that noise clashes with that; "You think that woman would sound like that, huh? Nope, those unintelligible sounds are actually her voice." Call that strange and/or insane if you want, but it is what it is.

As for the show, so far the dub seems solid. Yuno sounds a bit robotic, but it is Brina Palencia we're talking about. Her performances always seem to fluctuate; she was fantastic in Spice and Wolf, but awful in Shakugan no Shana. Good in Romeo x Juliet, bad as Zashiki-Warashi in xxxHolic. And it goes on and on like that.

EDIT: After watching the series (and earning its spot as the fourth show to earn a 10 from me), I'm happy to report that her performance got much better a quarter way into the show. Overall, a solid dub in my opinion.
ExtendedRenegadeNov 15, 2013 2:13 PM
Nov 21, 2013 3:09 PM

Jul 2012
I was planning on watching this to and as far as I can tell the dub is done fine and for most anime if I can il watch it dubbed but I think im going to watch this one subbed u can watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCEZA_uJCq0 and decide what one u like more and there isn't any real spoilers in it
It's okay if you hate me
'I hate me too
Nov 21, 2013 3:20 PM

Sep 2013
Watched the entire series subbed back in the day. Watched the good part of the show (= the first 13 episodes) in English, had no problem with the dub and the changes made in the dialogue and so forth. Especially Ninth is just fucking perfect in the English voice track. Spot-on casting right there, especially considering the woman they chose to voice Ninth in the Japanese track was already perfect as she was for the character (who just happens to be the best character in the show. Fuck Yuno.).
[/size]
Feb 25, 2014 12:57 AM

Jan 2012
Just watched this in dub today. Yuna sounds awful compared to the sub. The english VA doesn't do nearly as good as a job making her sound like a psycho where the japanese VA got it spot on. Also not a fan of the english version death god trying to sound Shakespear.

I'm not one of those high horse guys who think all subs > dubs. But this dub was pretty poor. Funimation using the same VAs on every single anime they do doesnt help.
Feb 25, 2014 5:53 AM

Nov 2013
I watched it in dub (Funimation) and loved it. Yuno's ENG voice actor was good and 9th was excellent. I watched MN Redial with subs and the voices were too high pitched for my taste. But if you don't mind the male protagonist sounding like a girl and to struggle to distinguish the male from the female voices then go ahead. Just my opinion.

English is my second language so sometimes I have to go back due to not finishing reading. And I can hardly appreciate the facial expressions with my eyes glued to the bottom third of the screen... So I think that led to me preferring dubs even if that meant being seen as a inexperienced newbie by the anime community. :)
DrakensbergMistFeb 25, 2014 5:57 AM

Feb 28, 2014 12:45 PM

Feb 2014
I agree that the vocalists can make a huge difference. Not only with the voices but sometimes the scripting is different from the english subs. For example a big one for me was at the end of 25 when Yuno is about to kill Yuno 3 she says "He is the man I would forsake reality just to be with...thats what love is...making the ultimate sacrifice...death is nothing." Those words have way bigger impact in my mind and heart than the english subs where she just repeats "I love Yuki" over and over. Things like this can be huge. Some not as good as others but i felt Mirai Nikki dubbed was great overall some were lacking for sure but Yuno and of course 9th lol were my favs.
Mar 2, 2014 3:19 AM
Mar 2014
Difficult one really.

I'm new to the world of anime by and large and I've only watched 6 so far, this being the most recent one. I have to say I found no issue with the dub and what grates me on the whole sub vs dub argument is that it's not about which is necessarily better, it's about what you feel comfortable watching. For me I feel comfortable watching dubs, but take no issue with those that watch sub.

So as far as this dub goes, it's fine, I saw no issue with it. I compared the voices to Redial (as there appears to be no dub for it) and thought that both had their own charm. However, I will agree that a lot of the voices in the dub are largely forgettable once over, with Minene and Yuno being the exceptions.
Mar 2, 2014 10:39 PM

Jun 2013
Ninth is great and I also prefer Yuki in the DUB. Always felt like Yuki's VA had to be a guy. Yuno and Deus on the other hand, are better in the SUB.
Mar 3, 2014 3:31 PM

Nov 2013
I think Yuno sounds horrible in the dub. Like a strong, independent, 30 y/o corporate executive. Yuki sounds cool, but that really isn't how his character is supposed to be, so...
Mar 7, 2014 7:45 AM

Nov 2012
Based_Nonon said:
I think Yuno sounds horrible in the dub. Like a strong, independent, 30 y/o corporate executive. Yuki sounds cool, but that really isn't how his character is supposed to be, so...

THIS. I tried watching episode 24 in English dub after I had watched the previous episodes in the original audio (translation group at the website I was using stopped subbing at ep 24 for whatever reason), but I had to stop about 1/4 of the way through the episode. I found Murumuru's and Yuki's voices were bearable, but Yuno's voice is COMPLETELY different from the original. In the dub she sounds really mellow and mature, just doesn't reflect her personality very well.

Both Yuno and Yuki sounds a lot older in the dub compared to the sub, like late high school or maybe even later in terms of the age their voice actors sound like.
Mar 26, 2014 6:29 PM
Dec 2013
The dub for the show isn't that bad. Yuno's voice just sounds like a dying cow.
Jul 19, 2014 3:47 AM
Feb 2014
I dont care about the voices, are there any other differences?
Cut scenes, etc.
Jul 19, 2014 5:38 AM

Nov 2012
Xee_CuRve said:
I dont care about the voices, are there any other differences?
Cut scenes, etc.

No. It's a funimation dub, there's no censoring or editting of any kind other than voice overs and perhaps subtitles for signs and songs.

As a fan of dubs and Brina Palencia, I can say that the dub is well below average.
Jul 19, 2014 11:33 PM

Apr 2014
good
Force is meaningless without skill - Lee Sin
Sep 20, 2014 7:40 PM

Oct 2013
I watched the dub and found it great. I dunno what people are complaining about Yuno's voice for; I assume because they already experienced her voice in the Japanese version and are butthurt that it's so different. I thought Yuno's voice was great, myself.

But more importantly, it's the dialogue changes which are most important. On the download I got, some of the post-credits scenes were hard-coded so I couldn't help but notice the differences between the dub dialogue and the subs. Like always, the subs read like a translation and lacked all forms of emotion or impact, whereas the dub dialogue carried the same message as the subs but without sounding choppy and, in my opinion, with more witty lines. Deus's dialogue in particular is so much more superior in the English dub than it is the Japanese version that it's unbelievable. So is his voice, for that matter.

Edit: Just watched a few Yuno scenes subbed - oh hell no. Her voice is high pitched and irritating, and she doesn't use pet names for Yuki such as "my love," "pookie," etc. all the time, which TOTALLY detracts from her obsessively loving personality. That was a mandatory part of my experience with her and a huge part of what made her so damn cute for me.

I'mma stand by the opinion that people are naturally biased towards whatever they hear first. People who watched sub then dub will always be biased towards the mannerisms of the sub and vice versa.

Yuki's voice is the only voice in the dub I find bad. His voice is ridiculously scratchy and he sure doesn't sound like a 14 year old male. I find it pretty ironic his voice is considered among the better in this thread.
ZadionSep 21, 2014 2:43 PM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 25, 2014 5:32 AM

Nov 2013
ZaldiuntheGerman said:
I watched the dub and found it great. I dunno what people are complaining about Yuno's voice for; I assume because they already experienced her voice in the Japanese version and are butthurt that it's so different. I thought Yuno's voice was great, myself.

But more importantly, it's the dialogue changes which are most important. On the download I got, some of the post-credits scenes were hard-coded so I couldn't help but notice the differences between the dub dialogue and the subs. Like always, the subs read like a translation and lacked all forms of emotion or impact, whereas the dub dialogue carried the same message as the subs but without sounding choppy and, in my opinion, with more witty lines. Deus's dialogue in particular is so much more superior in the English dub than it is the Japanese version that it's unbelievable. So is his voice, for that matter.

Edit: Just watched a few Yuno scenes subbed - oh hell no. Her voice is high pitched and irritating, and she doesn't use pet names for Yuki such as "my love," "pookie," etc. all the time, which TOTALLY detracts from her obsessively loving personality. That was a mandatory part of my experience with her and a huge part of what made her so damn cute for me.

I totally agree, well said :)

Mar 9, 2015 6:09 AM

Mar 2014
Basically, what do you prefer? When a prepubescent boy and a crazy yandere actually sound like a prepubescent boy and a crazy yandere or when a prepubescent boy and a crazy yandere sound like two robotic grown-ups?

ZaldiuntheGerman said:
Just watched a few Yuno scenes subbed - oh hell no. Her voice is high pitched and irritating, and she doesn't use pet names for Yuki such as "my love," "pookie," etc. all the time, which TOTALLY detracts from her obsessively loving personality. That was a mandatory part of my experience with her and a huge part of what made her so damn cute for me.
But she's supposed to sound high-pitched and irritating and she isn't supposed to use pet names for Yuki. She fucking loves his name and she wouldn't want to call him anything else. That's why she screams YUKIIIII all the time in the Japanese version
Comic_SansMar 9, 2015 6:13 AM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 13, 2015 8:10 PM
May 2014
Comic_Sans said:
Basically, what do you prefer? When a prepubescent boy and a crazy yandere actually sound like a prepubescent boy and a crazy yandere or when a prepubescent boy and a crazy yandere sound like two robotic grown-ups?

ZaldiuntheGerman said:
Just watched a few Yuno scenes subbed - oh hell no. Her voice is high pitched and irritating, and she doesn't use pet names for Yuki such as "my love," "pookie," etc. all the time, which TOTALLY detracts from her obsessively loving personality. That was a mandatory part of my experience with her and a huge part of what made her so damn cute for me.
But she's supposed to sound high-pitched and irritating and she isn't supposed to use pet names for Yuki. She fucking loves his name and she wouldn't want to call him anything else. That's why she screams YUKIIIII all the time in the Japanese version

For the record I'm not even halfway through the show yet but that comment is clearly biased based off your obviously watching the sub version first. News flash genius not everyone agrees with you, this is the god damned Internet and an even more subjective place a forum. Stop getting butthurt be ause someone doesn't agree with you and say someone generally helpful to the topic and is not completely void of any logic or shut the fuck up. Personally I think the pet names do add to Yuna's insanity and those of us not privy to the Japanese grammar usage and style it adds more attachment in the dub in my opinion.
How fitting (or depressing I haven't decided) for my 100th post to be about me complaining about dicks who review shows without finishing them.
Apr 26, 2015 4:31 AM

Mar 2014
msrcali said:
For the record I'm not even halfway through the show yet but that comment is clearly biased based off your obviously watching the sub version first.
I didn't hear the original version first
News flash genius not everyone agrees with you, this is the god damned Internet and an even more subjective place a forum.
And the ''god damned internet'' also allows me to reply to people with opinions that differ from mine, just like it allows you to reply to my post
Stop getting butthurt be ause someone doesn't agree with you and say someone generally helpful to the topic and is not completely void of any logic or shut the fuck up.
So I am the butthurt one, and yet all he does is throwing personal insults at me. Odd, that
Personally I think the pet names do add to Yuna's insanity and those of us not privy to the Japanese grammar usage and style it adds more attachment in the dub in my opinion.
Are you deaf, dumb and blind? Nobody has said anything about the ''Japanese grammar usage and style being so much better than the English one''. Stop making up shit and try to actually come up with solid arguments instead of just resorting to mindless insulting and ad hominem
Comic_SansAug 6, 2015 8:45 AM
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 27, 2015 2:54 PM

Dec 2014
Chill, guys. Yuno is watching

allemandi96Apr 27, 2015 2:57 PM
Apr 28, 2015 9:32 AM

Mar 2014
allemandi96 said:
Chill, guys. Yuno is watching

[img*]http://i.imgur.com/159GLjt.jpg[/img]
She wants da Yukki pines
Nico- said:
Mar 29, 2016 2:46 AM

Aug 2011
The main subject seems to be Yuno when it comes to the two versions. I watched the subbed years ago. I liked it, I thought the character portrayal of Yuno was brilliant. I can’t deny the fact I watched Mirai Nikki because I thought Yuno was an amazing character. But when I first heard the dubbed voices I was like “wtf!” I thought they made a bad decision.

But after watching more than half of the dubbed (recently). I have decided personally, I prefer the dubbed.

The Japanese version shows Yuno to be a bit crazier for sure, with her shrieking voice, which can get kind of annoying, but this reflects her stable and unstable sides more clearly.
But the dubbed shows Yuno to be a bit more mature & clear thinking, which personally suits her character as a calculating crazy knife wielding Yuki obsessed murdering mastermind. People comment about her age saying she should sound younger. But she doesn't really act young does she? So I can put that part aside.

The other characters seem to be pretty solid in the dubbed also. Ninths attitude was absolutely brilliant, as she is another good character in this series. The only one I thought was a bit meh was Yuki’s, but I can live with that.
Another factor is I seemed to enjoy the dialogue a bit more in the dubbed. I don’t watch many dubbed animes, but Mirai Nikki is my favourite in both dubbed and subbed versions.

A comment made by Zadion was “Just watched a few Yuno scenes subbed - oh hell no. Her voice is high pitched and irritating, and she doesn't use pet names for Yuki such as "my love," "pookie," etc. all the time, which TOTALLY detracts from her obsessively loving personality. That was a mandatory part of my experience with her and a huge part of what made her so damn cute for me.”
And this is certainly true, I think people have / expect, different things from her character.

I hope this hasn't been too biased, because I think both versions are worth watching. It just seems a lot of negativity has been out towards the dubbed, which really hasn't done a bad job. But just to confirm, it was the subbed I actually watched first. So it’s not always whichever version you see first you prefer.
Mar 29, 2016 2:53 AM

Mar 2016
I liked this show only because of Yuno, the rest of the show is totally shit. And in my opinion dub of Yuno was awesome!
May 9, 2016 9:03 PM
May 2016
Stumbled across this and wow lots of weeaboo hits. Anyway even though it's old I'm still gonna put my input. I've watched it 2 times first dubbed then subbed. Valid points were made, dubbed was pretty cringey at times but it also had its moments where the stuff said was necessary. As for subbed while yes at first yunos voice is annoying but trust me after about 3 episodes it grows on ya. Maybe because I watched it dubbed and already loved the character but I don't think so. I just think after a few episodes you get used to it. Now onto quality of voices again this is usually based on the first few episodes. In the dubbed the voice of Yukki is really the only one that dosnt fit because in the most of the show he's scared because he's in a game of death but his VA makes it hard to see that he's scared but yunos voice was pretty good the added names like pooky hit my feels. Subbed quality was very good Yukki sounded like a scared prepubescent kid that still had his innocence and yuno sounded like the crazy psycho obsessed over Yukki that she was portrayed to be, not at all saying in dubbed she didn't sound psycho because she definitely did but it didn't sound as severe and serious as if could have been. Plus that argument about dubbed being better is, let's face it, usually based on the first damn episode nothing is ever mentioned about the whole thing so from a person who's watched it both ways I recommend going with subbed but it's your choice either way I watch it, it's still my number 1 anime out there. And yes I have watched a boat load of anime all the way from stuff no one's heard about to regretfully SAO. Now the war starts. Hope I could help and thx for reading if you did your a trooper cuz this is the longest post I've ever made. Again thx.
ZippykidMay 9, 2016 9:16 PM
May 9, 2016 9:39 PM

Mar 2012
One one hand you've got Brina Palencia. An ultra talented actress and singer with the voice of an angel, a fantastic vocal range and a staggering amount of experience voice acting for anime.

On the Japanese side you've got a squealing cat with basically no acting skills whose roles, including Yuno, can be counted on one hand. Since Mirai Nikki ended all she's gotten are supporting roles in unpopular shows that no one cares about which says quite a lot.
May 11, 2016 1:28 AM
Nov 2014
Not bad,But not great

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mirai Nikki (TV) Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jan 29, 2012

159 by Salty_Cookie »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Mirai Nikki (TV) Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Jan 22, 2012

219 by Salty_Cookie »»
Apr 14, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Mirai Nikki Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 16, 2011

363 by Salty_Cookie »»
Apr 3, 1:03 AM

Poll: » Mirai Nikki (TV) Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2012

680 by Alex16hz »»
Apr 2, 11:32 AM

Poll: » Mirai Nikki (TV) Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Mar 11, 2012

264 by Alex16hz »»
Apr 1, 4:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.