Forum Settings
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movie -Rebellion-
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (21) « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 20 » ... Last »
Sep 9, 2014 9:18 PM

Jul 2009
ssjokg said:
Chillingflames said:
We all know who she prefers the most out of the bunch though, that's for sure.
That doesnt mean that doesnt care for the others and that her attitude isnt justified by other reasons.
It sure didn't look that way. Then again, most of the focus in the movie was on Homura and Madoka's relationship. Just thought that it was pretty funny to see how Homura completely changes her attitude when conversing with Madoka compared to how she acts with everybody else.
Sep 9, 2014 9:55 PM

Feb 2014
Chillingflames said:
ssjokg said:
That doesnt mean that doesnt care for the others and that her attitude isnt justified by other reasons.
It sure didn't look that way. Then again, most of the focus in the movie was on Homura and Madoka's relationship. Just thought that it was pretty funny to see how Homura completely changes her attitude when conversing with Madoka compared to how she acts with everybody else.

Understandable, given what happened in the TV series (ep 10).
Sep 10, 2014 3:14 AM

Jun 2014
Chillingflames said:

She does care for them.It's not that obvious,but it's there.

Madoka is the only person she fully trusts,so it makes sense that homura only shows her how she truly feels.
Sep 10, 2014 3:51 AM

Feb 2014
Aside from Madoka, Kyouko is the only one whom she legitimely respects.

In the previous timelines Sayaka always witched out and Mami went on a a killing spree whenever she learned the truth.
Kyouko was the only reliable (at least most of the time) ally for her.
Sep 10, 2014 4:15 AM

Nov 2013
HeisenDurden said:

In the previous timelines Sayaka always witched out and Mami went on a a killing spree whenever she learned the truth.
Yeah Kyouko is awesome.

Sayaka is still best girl though.
Sep 10, 2014 4:50 AM

Jun 2014
HeisenDurden said:

They are not excatly close friends,though.
I can't see Homura confessing her feelings in front of Kyoko...although I would love to see Kyoko's reaction.
Sep 11, 2014 6:38 PM

Nov 2012
Barely understood what happened,personally preferred the series over the movies 7/10.
Sep 14, 2014 2:27 PM
Aug 2014
VanishingKira said:
Barely understood what happened,personally preferred the series over the movies 7/10.

Though I do agree, the series was better, I would say Rebellion is worth another watch, and really pay attention to the things Homura says, and what people say to her. It will help the ending make a LOT more sense.
Sep 21, 2014 1:46 PM

Jul 2013
I finally saw it today and I really liked it. Sometimes, even the Devil loves

If you want a better understanding of the movie, I would suggest watching the last minutes of the TV series, after Madoka becomes a Goddess (pay attention to the dialogue between Homura and Kyubey and the last scene where Homura plunges into a crowd of wraiths) and after that either watch the movie 2 times or watch the movie and read Hanokage's manga adaptation, which is very easy to follow as Szadek23 said above. It worked out for me this way
Sep 22, 2014 4:50 AM
Jun 2008
finally saw it over the weekend..highly upset at the last 10 or so minutes of it..lowered score cause of it..never watching that again, lol

so ANGRY
Sep 23, 2014 4:55 AM
Sep 2013
Hi guys
I'm looking for some surrealistic music do you think that some tracks from Rebellion movie would fit? Like are Hail the Nutcraker Queen or ending song surrealistic?
Quod Nocet
Saepe Docet
Sep 30, 2014 9:04 AM

Jul 2007
11/10

if only they'd show a scene with Madoka and Homura kissing..
Oct 2, 2014 7:12 AM
Aug 2014
Kotori said:
11/10

Personally I'm glad they didn't. Not because I don't believe in a romance between them, cause I do, but I really love and respect how the series has handled the romantic elements so far. It's not a Romance anime, but it's not much of a stretch for viewers to see it as one if they wanted to. The love Homura has for Madoka is very strong and very obvious, but just how far that love goes, and what kind of love it is, has been left to interpretation.

I mean I'd be lying if I said there was no part of me that would love to see a nice kiss scene between them, but that would obviously ruin any chance of interpreting it differently. But hey, fan art exists for a reason~
Oct 2, 2014 4:48 PM

Jun 2013
Freaking Kyuubey lol!
"We just want to spit all over your friend's values and the sacrifice she made to give everyone hope. Y U mad, bro? :3"

Oh and 10/10 for demon Homura.
Oct 2, 2014 6:23 PM

Sep 2014
Kotori said:
11/10

My score for this would be 1000000000000/10
Oct 3, 2014 6:19 AM

Jan 2014
Hmph. Not much different from the series. Deep bait.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 3, 2014 3:24 PM

Jul 2007
I lost it when Homura turned evil. If you can call that evil. These 3 moves mind fucked me way too much. I will be honest and say that I'm not sure If i understood what happened. I don't care though. All I know is that i want more.

Bebe-chan best character. Homura vs Mami was epic. Awesome how it turned out that Mami is stronger that Homura I certainly didn't saw that coming.
Oct 3, 2014 4:39 PM

Nov 2013
Cloudy-Sky said:
I lost it when Homura turned evil. If you can call that evil. These 3 moves mind fucked me way too much. I will be honest and say that I'm not sure If i understood what happened. I don't care though. All I know is that i want more.

Bebe-chan best character. Homura vs Mami was epic. Awesome how it turned out that Mami is stronger that Homura I certainly didn't saw that coming.
A re-watch is recommended if you didn't understand it fully the first time; you might notice things you missed the first time.

I remember Urobuchi said in an interview (I think it was an interview) that Mami is the strongest, but Homura can win if Mami is unaware of her time manipulation powers.
Oct 16, 2014 5:01 PM

May 2014
I can't believe in any of this.
I'm slowing understanding this movie.
It was okay it would just been abit better if Homura went to heavens with madoka,but the Ending was...okay. if they want continue they should add a sequel to end up with any kind of ending that satisfy.
Is urobuchi really that evil? more like can't he see the way the series ended and how it don't satisfy most? well..i guess i'll leave it alone for now.
i recently googled and all we got was a April Fools prank of a 4th movie,but i'll have faith.
Oct 17, 2014 12:22 AM

Aug 2009
Icarusu said:
I can't believe in any of this.
I'm slowing understanding this movie.
It was okay it would just been abit better if Homura went to heavens with madoka,but the Ending was...okay. if they want continue they should add a sequel to end up with any kind of ending that satisfy.
Is urobuchi really that evil? more like can't he see the way the series ended and how it don't satisfy most? well..i guess i'll leave it alone for now.
i recently googled and all we got was a April Fools prank of a 4th movie,but i'll have faith.
Wrong.Most people are satisfied with the movie.
Oct 22, 2014 6:37 AM
Mar 2012
This was an ok movie. For me the main thing I missed on the first watch is Sayaka's role.

Also few other things that took away a little:

- Kyubey being portrayed as villain-ish. He's not actively evil by intent. He works better as a cold, logical being rather than an evil, scheming overlord.
- I didn't get Charlotte.
- Hitomi and that violin guy were pointless.

Brilliant ending though. People are saying it's edgy for edgy's sake, but actually knowing about magical girls from the series, and knowing what happened in episode 10, it's actually pretty realistic that things would turn out this way. Maybe it was a little sudden and could've done with more explanation (they could've cut the breakdancing and some of the long early fights) but it was an interesting direction.
Oct 22, 2014 10:02 AM

Aug 2009
superseiyan said:
This was an ok movie. For me the main thing I missed on the first watch is Sayaka's role.

Also few other things that took away a little:

- Kyubey being portrayed as villain-ish. He's not actively evil by intent. He works better as a cold, logical being rather than an evil, scheming overlord.
- I didn't get Charlotte.
- Hitomi and that violin guy were pointless.

Brilliant ending though. People are saying it's edgy for edgy's sake, but actually knowing about magical girls from the series, and knowing what happened in episode 10, it's actually pretty realistic that things would turn out this way. Maybe it was a little sudden and could've done with more explanation (they could've cut the breakdancing and some of the long early fights) but it was an interesting direction.

-He is just like he was in the tv series.
-Nagisa is another Mahou Shoujo that was saved by Madoka's wish.She was the girl that became Charlotte.
-Their whole existence was there to show how different the world was.
Nov 2, 2014 3:36 AM

Jan 2013
Oh wow, didn't expected this to happen in the movie, it's completely twisted.
So much to analyze, so much to say...
Since Kyubei learned that he should't mess up with humans I think that the ending could be avoided...
Still, some things were left in the open, so it would be better to finish it instead of leaving it like that.
Nov 8, 2014 2:37 PM

Mar 2013
Oh my...Madoka !
The movie was incredible but I still have a lot of questions. I'm gonna rewatch it.
Nov 12, 2014 8:00 PM

Feb 2010
I quit. I freaking quit. I cannot think about what happened in this film for more than a few minutes before I start feeling like shit. I can't listen to Inevitabilis and Puella in Somnio anymore without feeling a chill go down my spine and a lump in my throat. And somehow still, Homura became my favorite character of the series.

When was the last time a story made me feel like this?
Nov 13, 2014 2:41 AM

Jun 2014
Akuma_Kinomoto said:
I quit. I freaking quit. I cannot think about what happened in this film for more than a few minutes before I start feeling like shit. I can't listen to Inevitabilis and Puella in Somnio anymore without feeling a chill go down my spine and a lump in my throat. And somehow still, Homura became my favorite character of the series.

When was the last time a story made me feel like this?

Don't worry,it will get better.It only takes a few month.
Nov 14, 2014 11:47 PM
Oct 2010
So basically the plot point is that Homura is actually a Yukkuri.
Nov 28, 2014 8:49 AM

Feb 2012
I just have to rant it all out:

Immediately after watching the movie, my mind was blown to bits. I was silently screaming "What the heck happened" "What the-". I have been a bit spoiled by the fanart, but my body wasn't prepared for what happened. I didn't expect in any way that ending. I couldn't sleep at all since my mind was racing for explanations, similar to what happened when I watched the ending of the TV series.

After a few hours, a few things became clear in my brain. Then, I went to look for other explainations/analysis/interpretation...

Some points:
-The first part where they are all happy really threw me off.
-That transformation scene with their dancing. The way they emerge are like butterflies coming out of a cocoon.
-I realized that the reason that they couldn't get to Kazamino City is because Homura hasn't been there before, I think?
-I did feel that some parts are like fanservice?
-So they really made Kyouko-Sayaka cannon eh? Well I guess she deserves some happiness after the whole Kamijou affair.

I like the movie, but I don't like how things turned out to be honest. I couldn't decide as to whether the decisions and actions of Homura is good or bad. Everytime I think about it, I get a knot in my stomach.

Now, the ending song Magia has taken a creepier turn for me!

"One day the light of love shining in your eyes
will transcend time
and will certainly shatter
a dream of this world heading into ruin.

Swallow your hesitation,
what is it you desire?
Is there a fragile future
in the direction of your deep desires? "

"If I can advance without hesitating,
then it’s fine if my heart gets broken."

I couldn't listen to it at the moment without my gut wrenching.

I remember watching an interview that the song is about wishing strong enough can be like magic. It felt positive back then. Now, I find it creepy. To think that I like to play the alot. Hahahaha.

Was there no other possible ending where Homura will go with Madoka but the Incubators will not be able to trap and control Madoka?
stray_catNov 28, 2014 8:56 AM
Dec 7, 2014 3:50 AM

Oct 2014
This movie... is absolutely brilliant. Honestly, I don't understand what happened, but it is quite the visual trip. From patty cake to bus trips to third impact. Honestly, I probably won't remember what happened and it is quite different from the Madoka series, which I felt was more of a coherent story, but this felt like the best kind of fanservice Urobuchi can offer.

Also that Yandere switch, that witch. Honestly I don't think rewatching again will help me so soon, but I feel like if I rewatch in a few months I'm sure to get it.
Dec 16, 2014 11:51 PM
Oct 2012
My biggest complaint with movie was that I did not find the development nearly as engaging and convincing as the original TV series, which was a real pity because the cinematography was brilliant.

I felt Homura of the TV series was a living character, while this movie reduced her to a mere plot device. This was not a bad movie, but I cannot help but be disappointed.
Dec 26, 2014 10:12 AM

Sep 2012
THIS is how you put an ending to a series!
I saw someone say that this is as earth-shattering as End of Evangelion, and I would mostly agree. Madoka wasn't as meaningful as a series to me as Evangelion, but this movie did SO much better at keeping the tone of the story in line with the series. The ending kind of threw me off, but I still think this kept truer to the heart of Madoka than End of Evangelion did with its series. Now to watch 1.11-3.33!

stray_cat said:
Now, the ending song Magia has taken a creepier turn for me!

Woah, way to put that in to perspective.... Totally takes a new turn after this movie.
Jan 3, 2015 3:24 PM

Jun 2010
It was a nice movie, the animation was sublime, many plotwist and the ending was something I wasn't expecting.
Still I have lot of questions unanswered, I might rewatch the whole series again.
Feb 3, 2015 2:52 AM

Dec 2013
Loved this movie.
The OST was amazing as ever.
Homura vs Mami was epic as hell!
Dat plot twist had me mind fucked.
Although the ending had mixed feelings for.

Still a 9/10
Feb 8, 2015 7:13 AM
Jun 2010
I liked the battle between Homura vs Mami, but I didn't like the ending. To me it felt like the entire series were undone in the last 20 minutes... all the sacrifices made, they're no more.
Feb 9, 2015 5:59 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Seen it last friday, 6 of february. Still on my mind.
The proof of the movie quality is that I already enjoyed the TV series alot, BUT with the movie, it done what EoE done for me. One of the greatests movie production.
Everyone that sees this will undoubtly by affected. Myself, Akuma Homura FTW!!
Feb 11, 2015 3:55 PM

Dec 2014
Well this episode was very amusing but I still cant belive that Homura did that O.O

Can anyone explain to me cause I'm a tad bit confused
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2015 4:07 PM

Nov 2013
Momoismyname789 said:
Well this episode was very amusing but I still cant belive that Homura did that O.O

Can anyone explain to me cause I'm a tad bit confused
Read the previous pages of this thread, it has been discussed a few times before so you might find something helpful in there.
Feb 11, 2015 4:10 PM

Apr 2014
I'm still trying to take it all in
Feb 17, 2015 4:23 AM

Jan 2012
almost turned off during super cringe-worthy transformation + cake singing scene combo

movie was aiight

art is bizzare

music was great

i just don't really give a shit about anything else really

just a bunch of little kids going through puberty and stuff.. that's how i see it

8/10
Feb 17, 2015 4:02 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
flaxman85 said:
almost turned off during super cringe-worthy transformation + cake singing scene combo

movie was aiight

art is bizzare

music was great

i just don't really give a shit about anything else really

just a bunch of little kids going through puberty and stuff.. that's how i see it

8/10

Let me guess, if the MC were 3-4 years older, same story happened... your comment would be "pretty fapable, better than the TV series for sure!!"

:P
Feb 20, 2015 6:50 PM

Oct 2013
As always the strongest point of this show is the story once again. To bad I'm
not a big fan of the characters though I will say that I did like'd how Homura
turned out to be in the end and same goes for the art style which I like/dislike
else I would have rated it higher, 8/10.

Mar 4, 2015 2:30 PM

Feb 2015
Wow... just wow... I'm speechless.

9/10

FANTASTIC movie. The animation, the music, the twisted story, everything was great but...

...the ending... I dont know what to say about that, I didnt even know it ended until the credits began to roll.
Mar 14, 2015 8:09 AM

Jul 2014
Pretty good I guess. I think I'm trying too hard to like this series.
Mar 20, 2015 12:36 AM

Aug 2013
That was really well done.

I went from being confused as fuck...to oh, things make sense now. To WOAH WHAT THE FUCK?! Then to, uhh I think I get it a little?

Had no idea what was up with that fake world until Homu started investigating. Then I could pretty much assume that since she knew everything that she was the witch.

Kyubey was confusing as fuck explaining everything. But I gathered it was just Kyubey being an evil asshole again.

Then Homu was freed, but used it as an opportunity to separate Madoka from her god form...then she somehow circumvented becoming a witch and losing her soul, and evolved into a higher being equal to Madoka, but a devil instead. For reasons that make no sense whatsoever. Then she declared herself an evil demon and that she would one day be Madoka's enemy? Just don't understand why at all, lol.

Looking forward to the next eventual installment.

Also Gen was not joking when he said the lyrics from Kalafina's song from the TV ED were about the movie.
Mar 22, 2015 3:16 AM
Jan 2015
To everyone who doesn't understand the ending, I have my theory:

Akuma Homura's new world is mostly the same as the Madokami's world, where magical girls fight wraiths (Homura and Sayaka still have their soul gems and Homura mentioned wraiths once).

The law of the cycle is still in place, but without Madoka, it's consciousness! Madoka's wish was to eliminate all witches before they were born and bear their despair. It's shown how she assimilated the soul gems of magical girls throughout history. That's also how Sayaka and Nagisa were her personal assistants: they became a part of her higher-plane existence.

And what happens to magical girls now that the Law of the cycle lost Madoka? OBLIVION

Madoka's Law of the cycle was similar to the Christian idea of heaven: you ascend to a higher plane of existence along with God and all the good people that died before and after you

Now that there is no God, there's no heaven. The magical girls on the edge of despair are taken away by the law of the cycle to... Nothing.

That's definitely enough to make Akuma Homura the devil, and Sayaka to hate her, and Madoka to want to go back to how it was, isn't it?

But Homura doesn't want Madoka to rule the afterlife. She wants her to live a normal life right next to her. She's also not a magical girl anymore (she was in America for 3 years, and everyone knows the supernatural only happens in Japan, duh), and Akuma Homura enslaved the Inkyubeytors, so she won't become one either.
Just after her transformation she told them "We'll need someone to handle all the curses that have spread around our world. That's where you all come in", meaning they will still have to make contracts and magical girls will fight wraiths, but she'll never allow the Inkuybeytors to recruit Madoka, so she can live in blissful ignorance as a regular schoolgirl.
May 6, 2015 8:27 PM

Aug 2010
OK, the animation was great. Very stylish and unique throughout.

Plot-wise...I'm still trying to decipher it all, but it got a bit too meta for me, honestly. And I liked Homura better before she turned evil.

But yeah, what a trippy film.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

May 26, 2015 6:32 PM
Jul 2014
At the end, stuff was just starting to get good, and better than the original series (Which I thought was average). It's sad this will probably never be continued.
Jun 2, 2015 3:30 PM
Apr 2015
wow. so..... deep.

i can't even process my thoughts correctly yet. it was tragically amazing. i still dunno what to feel about Homura's decision but when I get the time i'll watch this in HD at home since it's too hard to process it watching from a phone.
Jun 5, 2015 3:44 PM

Oct 2014
Sequel when?
Jun 5, 2015 10:35 PM

Nov 2013
Shrimperor said:
Sequel when?
When Shaft makes Kizumonogatari.

I.e. never.
Pages (21) « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 20 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Madoka Magica Rebellion is a masterpiece ( 1 2 )

JezzaC - Jan 28, 2021

65 by HigherLvLThinker »»
Aug 16, 2023 7:00 AM

» State your opinion: Did Homura REALLY do nothing wrong?

StanSayakaMiki77 - Apr 17, 2023

19 by APolygons2 »»
Jul 18, 2023 5:23 PM

» Explaining the final twist

APolygons2 - Oct 19, 2022

45 by ScionOfCyan »»
Jan 30, 2023 7:28 PM

» Plot Holes? What exactly happened between.... (movie spoilers)

Rob7 - Sep 24, 2022

18 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 19, 2022 6:45 AM

» Series spoiler! Is the movie somehow related to the tv series?

Alfreda02 - Sep 23, 2022

11 by daibayuus »»
Sep 24, 2022 9:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.