Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 23, 2013 2:43 PM

Jul 2012
Finally! This is the execution and content I was expecting when I first saw the PV to this series. I'm really glad they didn't throw in stupid jokes or moe moments in this episode. (other than the first five minutes) Animation was top notch, even more than usual. Really artistic. Mirai did not annoy me for the first time, which is good. Hope the rest of this series can live up to this episode's level. If so, definitely a solid 8 or higher.

Also, I love Hiroomi's outfit.
Oct 23, 2013 2:43 PM

May 2012
nice way of ending the arc, the cliche hug.. nice ep btw.. Mitsuki next week FTW!!!

Oct 23, 2013 2:52 PM

Jul 2012
Also, Akihito's youmu hair is so much nicer than his normal hair. :| Wish the character design was like that instead.
Oct 23, 2013 2:57 PM

Jan 2013
Hoq
Pknoctis said:
The youmu transformation was pretty beast, but I rolled my eyes when the power of the hug transformed him back to normal.

The show's really generic but still, liking it. I hope megane-girl and youmu-boy get together soon, instead of dragging it out for the entire show.

How the fuck is this show generic?
Oct 23, 2013 3:04 PM

Oct 2007
Arararraragi-kun said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
One kind of not shitty episode and this instantly jumps into top seller position for this season. Absolutely and utterly disgusting. And people like symbv still claim there isn't a contingent that won't always support Kyoani no matter how mediocre their shows are. Sigh.....such a joke.

Why are you always so butt-hurt?

If you can tell me why people have such low standards I'll try to give you a better answer.

Anyway this show really does continue to be the most mediocre stuff and I'm still not that impressed by the action. I think it would help if this show had some semblance of pacing and how to establish character and setting. I mean there's not that much going on here yet it still manages to feel kind of convoluted and off somehow. It makes it really hard to get invested in this universe or it's characters yet the show really seems to want me to care by how it goes for that prototypical big melodramatic Kyoani style scene at the end of the episode.

Also totally called the whole "I rescued you cause you were a beautiful bespectacled" line followed by Mirai pouting. ? You know don't establish any reason for him to genuinely care about the girl or her well-being by you know having real chemistry between the two, just keep using that same lame gag over and over and over again as a reason for everything that happens in this show and before people have time to think about it move on to an action scene that lasts 3 minutes.

They also spent all that time hyping up the hollow as this big bad that was way out of the Spirit World Warriors league and then the battle is over like it's nothing only for the Hollow Shadow to come out of nowhere and possess Akihito who Mirai NOW has trouble working up the courage to stab even though it was no problem all those times she apparently did it off screen in the first episode when it wasn't a matter of life and death cause we need our half-baked melodrama now. Again a few minutes later and the hollow is kaput. Some elite monster that was eh? The scene after that with Mirai saving the day by hugging a suddenly berserked Akihito (also poorly explained exactly why he went berserk in spite of the whole half-blood youma thing) goes without saying as a fittingly cliche and trite way to end an episode like this.

Anyway seriously this show utterly BLOWS so bad at establishing consistency and a reason for the viewer to give a damn beyond just pretty visuals it's insulting. It's just a collection of short scenes stitched together by bad humor, the odd kind of glitzy/edgy action sequence (It's raining Blooooooooooooood!), one liners and the now episodic pity party for Mirai. Seriously though am I missing something about these action scenes? I mean they're alright but I'm by no means losing my mind over them as they're so contextually nonsensical and just sort of there it's hard to get all that excited about them.

If it weren't for the likes of Guilty Crown (which this show is really starting to remind me of in how things just sort of seem to happen with little consistency between episodes or even scenes and where the writer tries so hard to make the cast seem edgy and cool that they forget the part about them having chemistry and being actually interesting) and that everything Kyoani always sells I would never believe this mess is probably going to be a top selling show of the season if not the top seller. As it stands after 4 episodes I feel no closer to understanding or caring about this world and it's characters than I did at the start of the show, but hey none of that matters in the long run as long as dear Kyoani makes the show looks pretty right folks?

SolviteSekai said:
Hoq
Pknoctis said:
The youmu transformation was pretty beast, but I rolled my eyes when the power of the hug transformed him back to normal.

The show's really generic but still, liking it. I hope megane-girl and youmu-boy get together soon, instead of dragging it out for the entire show.

How the fuck is this show generic?

Do you want it in list format or in detail?
Oct 23, 2013 3:07 PM

Jan 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
One kind of not shitty episode and this instantly jumps into top seller position for this season. Absolutely and utterly disgusting. And people like symbv still claim there isn't a contingent that won't always support Kyoani no matter how mediocre their shows are. Sigh.....such a joke.

If you can tell me why people have such low standards I'll try to give you a better answer.

Anyway this show really does continue to be the most mediocre stuff and I'm still not that impressed by the action. I think it would help if this show had some semblance of pacing and how to establish character and setting. I mean there's not that much going on here yet it still manages to feel kind of convoluted and off somehow. It makes it really hard to get invested in this universe or it's characters yet the show really seems to want me to care by how it goes for that prototypical big melodramatic Kyoani style scene at the end of the episode.

Also totally called the whole "I rescued you cause you were a beautiful bespectacled" line followed by Mirai pouting. ? You know don't establish any reason for him to genuinely care about the girl or her well-being by you know having real chemistry between the two, just keep using that same lame gag over and over and over again as a reason for everything that happens in this show and before people have time to think about it move on to an action scene that lasts 3 minutes.

They also spent all that time hyping up the hollow as this big bad that was way out of the Spirit World Warriors league and then the battle is over like it's nothing only for the Hollow Shadow to come out of nowhere and possess Akihito who Mirai NOW has trouble working up the courage to stab even though it was no problem all those times she apparently did it off screen in the first episode when it wasn't a matter of life and death cause we need our half-baked melodrama now. Again a few minutes later and the hollow is kaput. Some elite monster that was eh? The scene after that with Mirai saving the day by hugging a suddenly berserked Akihito (also poorly explained exactly why he went berserk in spite of the whole half-blood youma thing) goes without saying as a fittingly cliche and trite way to end an episode like this.

Anyway seriously this show utterly BLOWS so bad at establishing consistency and a reason for the viewer to give a damn beyond just pretty visuals it's insulting. It's just a collection of short scenes stitched together by bad humor, the odd kind of glitzy/edgy action sequence (It's raining Blooooooooooooood!), one liners and the now episodic pity party for Mirai. Seriously though am I missing something about these action scenes? I mean they're alright but I'm by no means losing my mind over them as they're so contextually nonsensical and just sort of there it's hard to get all that excited about them.

If it weren't for the likes of Guilty Crown (which this show is really starting to remind me of in how things just sort of seem to happen with little consistency between episodes or even scenes and where the writer tries so hard to make the cast seem edgy and cool that they forget the part about them having chemistry and being actually interesting) and that everything Kyoani always sells I would never believe this mess is probably going to be a top selling show of the season if not the top seller. As it stands after 4 episodes I feel no closer to understanding or caring about this world and it's characters than I did at the start of the show, but hey none of that matters in the long run as long as dear Kyoani makes the show looks pretty right folks?

Translation:

An anime character hugged a girl and I'm single. Time to get on the internet and boycott it.

As a mal poster who probably masterbates over Lain and Psycho Pass I can't believe you have the audacity to insult a show for being contrived.

BTW genius, if people were only buying the show because of Kyo Ani they would have pre ordered before Episode 4.

The fact that they waited for "a single decent episode" means they care about the quality. My god its like you have 0 common sense.
Oct 23, 2013 3:11 PM
Jan 2013
Amazing visuals <3

and love Akihito's sugoi transformation *_*, looking pretty op there

even the 3 can't hold him down XD
Oct 23, 2013 3:12 PM

Jan 2013
Nice to see Japan is continuing to have good taste and understanding of genres.

Apparently only losers in the West watch shows from genres they dont like, then log onto websites where nobody likes them to cry about them.

If you don't like Kyo Ani stop being that guy in the threads of all of their shows crying.

If you don't like something and you watch it anyway you are a moron.
Oct 23, 2013 3:17 PM

Oct 2007
SolviteSekai said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Translation:

An anime character hugged a girl and I'm single. Time to get on the internet and boycott it.

As a mal poster who probably masterbates over Lain and Psycho Pass I can't believe you have the audacity to insult a show for being contrived.

BTW genius, if people were only buying the show because of Kyo Ani they would have pre ordered before Episode 4.

The fact that they waited for "a single decent episode" means they care about the quality. My god its like you have 0 common sense.

No...please stop talking now unless it's something that isn't fanboy nonsense.

Anyway did anyone else that actually cares about these things notice that Sakura seemed to disappear from the plot after that line about Mirai's blood? Seriously I'm going back and trying to find her in the episode again after that point and she literally just disappears after that scene for the fight between Mirai and what I guess was the fake Hollow and the scene after. Was she supposed actually be the Hollow? It's never explained really cause she just vanishes and nobody questions it.

It's like the show just gave up on furthering that plot point when it looked like it was going to delve a little deeper into Mirai's backstory and maybe flesh out her character for the audience in a way that just goes beyond the bespectacled spirit world warrior bit. Oh well just another inconsistency to add to a show that's pretty bad with that sort of thing already.

SolviteSekai said:
Nice to see Japan is continuing to have good taste and understanding of genres.

Apparently only losers in the West watch shows from genres they dont like, then log onto websites where nobody likes them to cry about them.

If you don't like Kyo Ani stop being that guy in the threads of all of their shows crying.

If you don't like something and you watch it anyway you are a moron.

I actually do like Dark Fantasy, this is just a really shitty haphazard example of it so far with lackluster character development and a poor sense of pacing and what ought to be important in establishing an interesting setting for a story of this genre to take place in. It's not my fault for having standards that aren't really being met right now.

Mod Edit: Quote tower put into spoiler tag.
ThangLongOct 25, 2013 11:26 AM
Oct 23, 2013 3:22 PM
Feb 2013
Arararraragi-kun said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

You always have some, in whatever, and I mean WHATEVER show. Even the the most popular or good or intriguing or crappy anime show, and you ALWAYS have some who elect 'hate it' at some point, and some who click on 'loved it'. On itself, it doesn't mean anything, really. I've often thought, to get a better impression of how well received it is, one would do better to use a z-score, instead of a plain average. Let's face it, you'll always have 10% who will find whatever they see either the best thing since sliced bread, or the worst crap ever. Those extremes influence the general appreciation too much. One should ignore the top ten and bottom low 10%. Basically, you will always have a set of whiners and fanboys: you have to filter those out.

That said, for those really don't liking the series: then just drop it. Seriously.

Now, the series uses many, many clichés. And yes, I'm getting tired of them as well. More and more I'm liking those that really do something original, use new viewpoints, or at least new executions of established pathways. There are just too many anime-tropes being used in the new series of this season; it really gets annoying. This series is no exception, and I would agree the sis-complex, the whining of a protagonist about a misdeed in the past - in as far as it was a misdeed, and not something that one would consider self-defence, the 13-in-a-dozen rather lame jokes, the 'angst' and anguish theme....sigh. It's becoming real old fashioned really fast, and none of it is particularly portrayed in an original way neither in this series.

Yet, for all it's not-too-superb clichés and tropes, it also has some good elements in it. The action-scenes were really high quality and engaging, and relatively original. The twist of him getting out of control, and the way they tried to contain it, was fairly well done. The shojo-parts, like the emo-stuff and relationship-thingy are sometimes emphatically interesting and captivating too, when they don't fall in the trope-sphere. The story and plot itself seemed a bit thin as of yet, but at least there is some mystery being introduced in this episode as well, apart from some good action (and reasonable character-development, if she isn't going to be so whiny and self-pitying/complaining anymore in the future). So maybe it will improve as well on this front.

So all in all; it isn't the best anime out there, granted, but it's far from being the worst neither. It was his weak points (clichés, tropes, not too original setting) but as indicated, it has also some good points. At least it has potential, I think. It will depend on how they will proceed, but if they really lay some effort in it and reduce the tropes, it could actually become a very good anime. If they go the other way, it will be the so-many-est trope-ridden mediocre anime with nothing outstanding to show for. Obviously, I'm rooting for the former, especially since there aren't many good new series in this season, I find.

You have the second season of Magi, which isn't quite 'new' - who will hopefully live up to the excellent standards of the manga. And you have machine-doll, which is sick in the same bed as this series: a lot of potential, some great scenes with suspense...but a whole boatload of tropes, which sometimes even undermine the internal consistency and believability of the world they want to portray. I wish they got rid of the superficial catering to the masses - effort. I know not all anime can have a meticulous created and compelling world and be story driven with layers of of thought-provoking concepts, like Shin Sekai yori or psycho-pass, or have the raunchy impact of fate zero, but that's not the point. Every anime can have it's niche, as long as it fulfils it's niche in a clever, original, captivating way. And yes, 'freezing' may have it's 'specific appeal' ;-) as well now and then, but let's face it: it's not 'great' anime. This goes for shounen too. A manga as Magi is a hundred fold better than Bleach, at least if one is interested in going *outside* the downtrodden pathways of a typical shounen and a plethora of too-often-used tropes.

It's still a bit early to tell about these new series, but frankly, there aren't that many that even have potential this season. And this at least is one of them.
AnimageNebyOct 23, 2013 4:08 PM
Oct 23, 2013 3:22 PM

Feb 2013
Loved this episode. and the development
Fear leads to Anger. Anger leads to Hate. Hate leads to Suffering. (Yoda)
Oct 23, 2013 3:23 PM
Oct 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
SolviteSekai said:

No...please stop talking now unless it's something that isn't fanboy nonsense.

Anyway did anyone else that actually cares about these things notice that Sakura seemed to disappear from the plot after that line about Mirai's blood? Seriously I'm going back and trying to find her in the episode again after that point and she literally just disappears after that scene for the fight between Mirai and what I guess was the fake Hollow and the scene after. Was she supposed actually be the Hollow? It's never explained really cause she just vanishes and nobody questions it.

It's like the show just gave up on furthering that plot point when it looked like it was going to delve a little deeper into Mirai's backstory and maybe flesh out her character for the audience in a way that just goes beyond the bespectacled spirit world warrior bit. Oh well just another inconsistency to add to a show that's pretty bad with that sort of thing already.

I think you need to rewatch the episode to catch the subtleties.

The Hollow Shadow was real as far as I can tell. Its just that the stone thing got swapped out after it was defeated, so they don't realize it.

Its very clear that she disappears in mid conversation, but it seems like she no longer has the skill to fight her. It was pointed out earlier that her powers should not be as strong as they were, which means that perhaps the dream world has some connection to her stronger powers.

Also remember that she was bleeding like mad when she hugged Aki. She basically burned the youmi part of him until it subsided using her blood. It was not the power of love. Listen for the sizzling sounds.

ThangLongOct 25, 2013 11:24 AM
Oct 23, 2013 3:23 PM

Jul 2010
I seriously can't get enough of this ED.
Oct 23, 2013 3:28 PM

Jan 2013
It was the real hollow shadow,

The person insulting the show didnt watch the ending so he didnt see the epilogue scene where they explain what happened.

Stay classy Mal.

Mod Edit: provocative words modified.
ThangLongOct 25, 2013 11:54 AM
Oct 23, 2013 3:30 PM

Oct 2007
comonad said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

I think you need to rewatch the episode to catch the subtleties.

The Hollow Shadow was real as far as I can tell. Its just that the stone thing got swapped out after it was defeated, so they don't realize it.

Its very clear that she disappears in mid conversation, but it seems like she no longer has the skill to fight her. It was pointed out earlier that her powers should not be as strong as they were, which means that perhaps the dream world has some connection to her stronger powers.

Also remember that she was bleeding like mad when she hugged Aki. She basically burned the youmi part of him until it subsided using her blood. It was not the power of love. Listen for the sizzling sounds.

There's that word subtlety again that the internet has managed to all but destroy by now.

If the Hollow was real than it was a huge let down after all that talk about how hard it would be for them to manage. Mirai made it look like it was nothing....like seriously she had more trouble dealing with the mysteriously in and out of the scene Sakura than she did the shadow. Once it was down to business it was like it was nothing and makes me wonder where the story goes from here.

In all fairness it's possible the blood did the job, though of course it's never explained exactly why or how? So does that mean that Akihito is mortal and fully human now? If so how does that work? I'd like to see the show actually deal with this stuff but somehow I doubt it will. A lot of stuff that could be interesting or seems like it should be important is just glossed over by this show or just explained matter of factly and kind of just tossed aside (i.e Sakura) but oh well I guess.

SolviteSekai said:
It was the real hollow shadow,

The idiot insulting the show didnt watch the ending so he didnt see the epilogue scene where they explain what happened.

Stay classy Mal.

Caught the scene now, but it still doesn't really explain why all the hushed tones about this thing when in the long run it was dispatched so readily by Mirai. If that Sakura ninja girl hadn't appeared this arc might have even ended last episode it was that much of a gong show in the end.

ThangLongOct 25, 2013 11:25 AM
Oct 23, 2013 3:32 PM

Jan 2013
1. Mirai is the most powerful Spirit Warrior in the world. She didnt want to kill Sakura because she is her best friends little sister.

2. It was the Hollow Shadow. You didnt bother to watch the ED and missed the scene explaining it.

3. Kyo Ani doesn't read this and they don't care that a fat ass white kid doesn't like their anime that has aired 4 of its 12 episodes.

4. Her blood subdued his power because again, her blood is massively powerful. Welcome to the entire fucking plot about why nobody whom is mortal will go near her.

Mod Edit: provocative words removed.
ThangLongOct 25, 2013 11:48 AM
Oct 23, 2013 3:35 PM
Oct 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:
In all fairness it's possible the blood did the job, though of course it's never explained exactly why or how?
It's easy, the blood does whatever needs to be done at the moment. Simple, right? >_>
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Oct 23, 2013 3:38 PM

Jan 2013
Ajunky said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
In all fairness it's possible the blood did the job, though of course it's never explained exactly why or how?
It's easy, the blood does whatever needs to be done at the moment. Simple, right? >_>

The blood melts human flesh. The increased stress on the Demon form forced it into remission.

ThangLongOct 25, 2013 10:36 AM
Oct 23, 2013 3:40 PM
Oct 2010
SolviteSekai said:
Ajunky said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

The blood melts human flesh. The increased stress on the Demon form forced it into remission.

And then it's stops hurting the guy, just because.

ThangLongOct 25, 2013 10:37 AM
Friedrich Schiller
Oct 23, 2013 3:41 PM

Jan 2013
Ajunky said:
SolviteSekai said:
Ajunky said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

And then it's stops hurting the guy, just because.

The blood boiled for about as long as it boiled on the trees.

ThangLongOct 25, 2013 10:38 AM
Oct 23, 2013 3:43 PM
Feb 2013
SolviteSekai said:
1. Mirai is the most powerful Spirit Warrior in the world. She didnt want to kill Sakura because she is her best friends little sister.

2. It was the Hollow Shadow. You didnt bother to watch the ED and missed the scene explaining it.

3. Kyo Ani doesn't read this and they don't care that a fat ass white kid doesn't like their anime that has aired 4 of its 12 episodes.

4. Her blood subdued his power because again, her blood is massively powerful. Welcome to the entire fucking plot about why nobody whom is mortal will go near her.

3; Temper, temper. While I can't stand people who incessantly complain how bad a series is and that they're going to drop it *week after week*, one should also have the will to look at the points given, even if (or even especially if) it's critique.

I've explained it more in a post above, but while I can't follow him in everything he says about the anime, and think it has potential and it's good moments, to be fair, I also think he has a point when he indicated the blatant use of anime tropes and clichés. The series uses a buckload of them in every episode. It would be better if they cut back on them.

His critique isn't warranted over the whole line, ok, but that doesn't mean he has no point at all about anything he said. And, more importantly, there is no need to become personal and call him a troll or idiot. That never goes anywhere, and it just makes things more polarising and offensive, just like you would find it offensive if someone would call you an idiot and a troll.

People rapidly lose their politeness in forums, I've noted. True, if the other person constantly gets personal too, there is no use of accepting that; I'm not a proponent of 'turn the other cheek'. That said, as long as it's none personal criticism and rational debate is the goal, then one should refrain from becoming personal oneself.

All imho, of course. :-)

Mod Edit: provocative words in quote removed.
ThangLongOct 25, 2013 11:49 AM
Oct 23, 2013 3:45 PM

Jan 2013
Every anime uses tropes and cliches.

The crazy thing is for all the morons on the forums claiming people like shows just because they are made by Kyo Ani, it is pretty obvious on mal that

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

more people hate shows on mal just because they are kyo ani.

Look no further than the current Clannad hate thread on the gaming board, and of course the "Is Kyo Ani Dead" thread on this very forum.
Oct 23, 2013 3:46 PM
Oct 2010
SolviteSekai said:
Ajunky said:

The blood boiled for about as long as it boiled on the trees.

Again, it does what needs to be done and nothing more, it's a conveniet excuse to drive the plot just as it was a convenient excuse to have the girl hug the guy.

And seriously, stop typing the sounds you make in front of the computer, no one cares about your verbal tics.

Mod Edit: provocative words in quote removed. Quote tower put into spoiler tag.
ThangLongOct 25, 2013 11:31 AM
Friedrich Schiller
Oct 23, 2013 3:46 PM

Aug 2010
Everyone hating this show (well, it's only one person for now but w/e):

you are overstepping your bounds. If you hate a show and have NOT dropped it after 3 episodes, it is like putting your hand on the hot oven, pulling it away yelling OUCH! and then putting it on the oven again, lather rinse repeat.

So get lost already or STFU

BTT

Got some nice kyoani quality action scenes here. I loved them all. And as expected, they managed to make Mirai as cute as a button while still beaing a total badass.

Cutest scene: In the end when she told him he looked like a normal creepy glasses loving guy. She looked ahead (not in his direction) and shot a quick glance in his direction. At this point my moedar exploded. Lucky I order them in bulk.
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Oct 23, 2013 3:48 PM

Apr 2012
best episode
Oct 23, 2013 3:59 PM
Feb 2013
SolviteSekai said:
Every anime uses tropes and cliches.

True, but some do it *a lot* more than others, and some do it in a far more obvious way. All in moderation, I would say. And a joke simply ain't funny anymore if it's told for the hundreth time.

This series doesn't score all that well on this particular topic. It's criticism, yes, but not unwarranted criticism. I think the show would be better off if they reduced the tropes and clichés.

The crazy thing is for all the morons on the forums claiming people like shows just because they are made by Kyo Ani, it is pretty obvious on mal that

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

more people hate shows on mal just because they are kyo ani.

Look no further than the current Clannad hate thread on the gaming board, and of course the "Is Kyo Ani Dead" thread on this very forum.

Well, I can't possible comment on that. To be frank, I wouldn't recognise the name Kyo Ani if it was put before me, even though I gather from your post it's (probably) the creator? I'm into anime and manga, but I seldom learn and even less remember the name of a mangaka. Togashi is about the only one that comes to mind, actually.

In this case, I guess it's an advantage. I neither have a pro or con stance about Kyo Ani or any other mangaka. I hardly know any of them. I only deal with the creation, not the creator, when evaluating. On this topic, thus, I can remain absolutely neutral.

edit; an animation studio, I see. Well, I'm SURELY not going to remember those ones. ;-p
AnimageNebyOct 23, 2013 4:15 PM
Oct 23, 2013 4:14 PM
Oct 2010
This episode was better than the last few, I just hope he didn't turn back normal due to the power of friendship.
Oct 23, 2013 4:15 PM

Jan 2009
good episode lots of action
Oct 23, 2013 4:20 PM
Feb 2013
skudoops said:
This episode was better than the last few, I just hope he didn't turn back normal due to the power of friendship.

Hmm...well, I've seen this complaint/notion before, but in all honesty - and it's not like I haven't given criticism on this anime - I ALWAYS interpreted it that it was her blood that did the trick. I didn't see any indication that it was a 'the power-of-love-heals-everything' theme that was being used there, and I'm quite sensitive to tropes.

No, it seems to me the most likely interpretation would be that her blood was the cause of the revert, not the hug itself.
Oct 23, 2013 4:23 PM

Oct 2007
Ajunky said:
SolviteSekai said:
Again, it does what needs to be done and nothing more, it's a conveniet excuse to drive the plot just as it was a convenient excuse to have the girl hug the guy.

And seriously, stop typing the sounds you make in front of the computer, no one cares about your verbal tics.

I think that does what it does and nothing more is a perfect way to sum up this show. Like most Kyoani works it's content to just be middle of the road and play it episode to episode without any desire to truly stand out or be anything more. For people with low standards or Kyoani fanboys I guess that translates into top tier material, but for me the experience is middling.

And I refuse to drop this show because that would be too easy. I want there to be at least one person remaining in these threads that questions the stuff this show throws at us and who can point out some of it's inconsistencies and short comings instead of just the usual one off praises that dominate every Kyoani series thread on MAL. I'm not letting this show or the fanboys off anywhere near this easy sorry.

Mod Edit: provocative words in quote removed. Quote tower put into spoiler tag.
ThangLongOct 25, 2013 11:31 AM
Oct 23, 2013 4:24 PM

Feb 2009
Ajunky said:
Indeed, Mitsuki's mom did it. She switched the hollow shadow's stone with a normal one in the confusion... but couldn't she leave at least a pricier one? talk about making a new meaning for "petty thief" XD

niaxato said:
So who was the chick that stole the hollow shadow's stone? Was that the teacher? Looks like she is double crossing the Society for some old wheelchair bound geezer.

It wasn't their mom, that was Mitsuki's and Hiroomi's (the scarf guy) big sister.
Oct 23, 2013 4:45 PM
Jun 2012
Im loving hiroomi more and more ^_^ that ringtone omg
Oct 23, 2013 4:54 PM
Jul 2013
The girl: "I have to stop you"
Me: "I swear to God if she hugs him and that works.."
*girl hugging the dude in the most moe way possible*
Me: "Oh for F..ks sake!"

Anyway...imagine right before she throws herself to hug him, someone comes and cuts his head off in order to stop him :D ... that would bee epic :D
Oct 23, 2013 4:56 PM
Oct 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:

You know, I don't have any skin in KyoAni game, but watching you get so pissed every time they succeed is starting to become my favorite past time here. You got me rooting for KyoAni just to watch you go ballistic every time they put the ball into play; it's better accompaniment than rich, savory butter popcorn.

And insane on top of it, you completely don't realize that your argument was self defeating. If there really was a contingent that "always" supported KyoAni "no matter" what, then their shows would be best sellers before the season began. That their sales only spiked after the "kind of not shitty episode" demonstrates that far from being "always supportiing" KyoAni, most people are waiting to see how the show develops before supporting it, and only commit after they understand that KyoAni once again is making a high quality show worth watching over again on BD.
Oct 23, 2013 4:59 PM
Jul 2018
Woah, so Akihito really is like Inuyasha.

It's a damn shame that one girl's older sister took the Hollow Shadow's loot after all the hard work Megane-chan put in. I would be mad.
Oct 23, 2013 5:00 PM

Sep 2011
LMAO DAT RINGTONE!!!
Oct 23, 2013 5:01 PM

Feb 2012
Dang, Mirai got ripped off. That stone was worth over 9000 yen I bet.
Oct 23, 2013 5:04 PM

Oct 2007
Takuan_Soho said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

You know, I don't have any skin in KyoAni game, but watching you get so pissed every time they succeed is starting to become my favorite past time here. You got me rooting for KyoAni just to watch you go ballistic every time they put the ball into play; it's better accompaniment than rich, savory butter popcorn.

And insane on top of it, you completely don't realize that your argument was self defeating. If there really was a contingent that "always" supported KyoAni "no matter" what, then their shows would be best sellers before the season began. That their sales only spiked after the "kind of not shitty episode" demonstrates that far from being "always supportiing" KyoAni, most people are waiting to see how the show develops before supporting it, and only commit after they understand that KyoAni once again is making a high quality show worth watching over again on BD.

Hardly convincing that you have no stake in the Kyoani game here otherwise you might actually be looking at the points I've made about why I think it's a poor show so far and address them. Instead you focus on this sort of thing and claim I'm going ballistic for no good reason. Anyway I would definitely not call this episode putting the ball into play and delivering a high quality show by any stretch of the imagination, but sure we'll let you go with that for now.

I just think it's absolutely pathetic that a company can consistently put out mediocre grade by the book brainless shows and still have people praising them like everything they do is a masterpiece somehow. As I keep pointing out it's more a war on low/nonexistent/inconsistent standards than anything else and Kyoani shows writing and it's fanbase still supporting everything they do like it's a series of master works make a pretty damn easy target these days.

I wish I could ask the people that are now buying this show in Japan what exactly about this episode made them decide it was now worth going all in for and made it a "high quality show". I know people doubt it, but I'm absolutely dying to hear the answer to that question even though I never will.

By that way that "KyoAni once again is making a high quality show worth watching" line, really telling buddy. I mean I'm totally convinced you have no particular feelings about Kyoani either way, can't you tell?
Oct 23, 2013 5:08 PM

Apr 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

You know, I don't have any skin in KyoAni game, but watching you get so pissed every time they succeed is starting to become my favorite past time here.

Don't forget SHAFT and Monogatari. I rarely see him post something that isn't related to one of those, lol.

The rest of your post is true. I think it's kinda sad how oblivious he is. He will probably call you a Kyo ani fanboy or focus on something irrelevant instead of trying to explain his very weak argument against the BD pre order thing.

Edit: Fucking called it, LMAO.
Oct 23, 2013 5:14 PM
Jul 2018
Yvese said:

I know right?? I was sure it was worth more then bloody 200 yen.
Oct 23, 2013 5:17 PM

Mar 2012
Holy---this was a nice episode. At first I thought Mirai is overpowered, then we all witnessed Akihito absolutely go off. And it finally makes sense why Akihito has all these people surrounding him. If he can control his powers he can probably beat just about any youmu out there on his own. Of course, this also raises questions about his parents...His mom and dad must be insanely powerful as well.

Pretty impressive. I wonder how they're going to top that in the next 9 episodes. But it does look like the Nase family has something going on judging from the way they stole that core.
Oct 23, 2013 5:20 PM

Jul 2012
Yvese said:
My thoughts exactly.

@Kaioshin_Sama: Just curious, but were you the person who gave this episode a 1/5? LOL
Oct 23, 2013 5:22 PM

May 2013
Still skeptical about this series. I think she burned him with blood to get him back to his senses. Despite the cliches, it still evoked emotion from me with them asking if they looked like normal people. Animation is beautiful as always.
Baku219Oct 23, 2013 5:27 PM
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Oct 23, 2013 5:25 PM

Oct 2007
You know it's funny that I have actually talked about the episode at length but only a couple of people have chosen to actually focus on or address the things I've pointed out in satisfying detail.

Not really sure what people want me to say about the BD preorder thing either. The same thing happened with Free, I anticipated it happening here and it did. Kyoani fans will always show up eventually to support their beloved company but the trend seems to be they wait until the end of the first arc to do so. That's all I can guess at as I certainly don't see anything all that different about this episode than the previous three in terms of storytelling consistency (or lack thereof), the action or the characters and their current relationships with one another.

Again nobody has done an adequate job of explaining what exactly they figure this episode could have done that just magically makes the show better other than clearly being the end of the first portion of the show. Like what stands out about the show that is especially gripping to you with regard to the setting and it's characters that makes it worthy of being called high quality? Anybody? This should be an easy question to answer right? Or are we just going to focus on how butthurt I am etc.

mayukachan said:
Yvese said:
My thoughts exactly.

@Kaioshin_Sama: Just curious, but were you the person who gave this episode a 1/5? LOL

No but I did give it a 3/5. It was a pretty mediocre to a kind of messy world building introduction arc as I keep pointing out with a lot of inconsistencies and oddities in character interactions as well as general storyboarding and pacing though again technically good in terms of animation production values. It's just a shame that the staff can't make this show more genuinely compelling in terms of making me care about the characters and their circumstances (bad comedy and random awkward melodrama really isn't cutting it), but hey when people will buy your shit en masse why worry about little things like that. It's kind of why I will never really expect anything truly great out of Kyoto Animation that isn't directly related to the occasional bout of Sakuga which I'm really not seeing as particularly better than what other major studios with a budget are capable of producing. For all intents and purpose Kyoani has and will probably continue to get the message that what we saw from the opening arc of Kyokai no Kanata is not only acceptable by normal standards of storytelling and establishment but outright fantastic and that to me is something of a sad joke.
PeacingOutOct 23, 2013 5:32 PM
Oct 23, 2013 5:26 PM

Mar 2012
Baku219 said:
Still skeptical about this series. The power of the hug turned him back *rolls eyes*. Despite that, it still evoked emotion from me with them asking if they looked like normal people. Animation is beautiful as always.

Akihito was getting burned as she hugged him. Note that he's already considerably weakened after the outburst that knocked out everyone. It's likely that she was using her blood to weaken him further, in which case he simply returned to normal.

Oh, and does anyone else think that Hiroomi's scars were caused by Akihito?
Oct 23, 2013 5:27 PM
May 2011
Yvese said:

Mikenzb said:
Yvese said:

I know right?? I was sure it was worth more then bloody 200 yen.
mayukachan said:
Yvese said:
My thoughts exactly.

omg so many people didnt watch the few minutes scene after ED
Oct 23, 2013 5:27 PM

May 2013
tezann_t said:
Baku219 said:
Still skeptical about this series. The power of the hug turned him back *rolls eyes*. Despite that, it still evoked emotion from me with them asking if they looked like normal people. Animation is beautiful as always.

Akihito was getting burned as she hugged him. Note that he's already considerably weakened after the outburst that knocked out everyone. It's likely that she was using her blood to weaken him further, in which case he simply returned to normal.

Yeah I realized this after I posted, I modified my post.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Oct 23, 2013 5:29 PM
Oct 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
The rest of your post is true. I think it's kinda sad how oblivious he is. He will probably call you a Kyo ani fanboy or focus on something irrelevant instead of trying to explain his very weak argument against the BD pre order thing.

Edit: Fucking called it, LMAO.

I would give you props for that prediction, but that sort of would be like giving props for someone calling east as the direction the sun is going rise tomorrow :-)

I find it funny that he thinks that I some "stake" in KyoAni. Does he think I am a shareholder or an animator with the studio?
Oct 23, 2013 5:30 PM

Feb 2012
AshtonClaude said:

omg so many people didnt watch the few minutes scene after ED
I watched it. Still doesn't change the fact that she was ripped off.

Clearly some major plot is brewing and that stone is a big part of it.
Oct 23, 2013 5:35 PM

May 2012
Great episode. So much action, drama , and feelings. Has to be my favorite episode yet. Looks like things are going to be a little different now. 5/5
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

538 by __FK__ »»
Yesterday, 6:55 AM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2013

195 by lordspacecat »»
Mar 10, 2023 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.