Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kill la Kill
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 17, 2013 1:56 PM
Jan 2013
mrstabhappy said:

Plus blu-rays have been announced 1/8/2014 my body is ready.
Where did you see that???
Oct 17, 2013 2:01 PM

Jul 2009
lol
if she can fight like that what can the student body do
Oct 17, 2013 2:06 PM

Apr 2013
THIS IS INTENSE
Oct 17, 2013 2:07 PM

Dec 2011
Lol Satsuki's outfit is more ridonk than Ryuuko's

Oct 17, 2013 2:12 PM

Nov 2011
That was a good finale.. oh wait we are still on EP 3!!!
Oct 17, 2013 2:16 PM
Sep 2011
Syntelle said:
Eudaimonia said:
This episode confirmed my suspicions that Ruuko's revealing outfit was initially intended to increase the contrast between her and Satsuki among other things. The latter one depicted as the untouchable, cold-headed despot wearing the "wedding dress" presenting purity vs. Ruuko as the hot-blooded riotist who garners lecherous looks by men whereever she goes. Paired with her desire for revenge and her hideout localized in the unhygienic and run-down slums there couldn't be more of a difference between them.
All the more striking is the fact that it's Satsuki, corrupted by power and showing nothing but contempt for those under her rule, who is portrayed as a truly despicable being unlike Ryuko who has maintained her humble and good-natured personality despite some violent tendencies.

Now though that Junketsu, Satsuki's kamui turns out as an equally revealing outfit the term purity used by Satsuki gains a whole new meaning, that is to wholly embrace even the most humiliating measures. As such it's no surprise that her servants are literally blinded by her aura even when she undresses herself completely.

So far this show has been pretty blatant with its Third Reich analogies and it really isn't hard to see what it applies to: The pursuit of World Dominance on the Student Council's side along with unethical human experimentation. The aforementioned theme of purity is also applicable in this instance.
Not unlike how the Nazi government claimed purity for itself Satsuki's definition of purity is pretty twisted taking all her actions into account. While her motifs and ambitions are genuine and clear as day to see there is absolutely nothing "pure" regarding her way of governing and treatment of the powerless.

I'm glad there really is some hidden depth in this show amidst the chaotic action and overbearing fanservice. Thanks to your insights, I can see some significance in the clash between Ryuko and Satsuki and their reasons for dealing with their Kamui.

What I do worry about is that this show will follow a villain-per-week formula at the cost of detracting from the plot. What I can say for sure is that even if the story weakens a tier, the outrageous style KLK presents will continue to impress. We're talking about the ultimate dream team that can churn out some of the best animation and music I've seen this year that's on par (or even better than) Production I.G's Attack On Titan.

I have high hopes for this series. Looking forward to Thursday from now on.

It very easy to miss but there are definitely lots of little details and lots of subtext in this show that get drowned out by the sheer amount of energy and style, many that might even reveal future plot developments.

Apparently this show was planned to tackle a rival-per-week formula but the director wasn't satisfied with it and shifted it to more character-drama involving the two antagonistic main characters, so you can be at ease. I have full confidence in the producers that they know what they are doing.
Oct 17, 2013 2:20 PM
Feb 2013
o.o yes yes yes manservice/fanservice. this is the third episode, we know.

Anyway, at least it makes up for it with some bad ass female leads.

Oh and I just love the teacher who slowly gets more and more nekkid EVERY conversation with Ryuko lol
Oct 17, 2013 2:29 PM

Aug 2008
At the getting naked n flopping around boobs part for Satsuki I was wondering what the hell kind of show I was watching. It's friggin' ridiculous. But I'm diggin' it.

Absolutely adore all of the voice actors. The OST is great, like people have been saying.
Oct 17, 2013 2:35 PM
Jul 2012
In the middle of the show I started wondering why I was watching this, but then I embraced the crazy and it was amazing. Among all this ridiculousness, even the fanservice doesn't feel that out of place. 10/10 in the enjoyment category

Sorta crack shipping Ryuuko and Satsuki. /I'm a sucker for foe yay.
Oct 17, 2013 2:40 PM

Apr 2010
While I'm not a big fan of the fanservice (hurr), the rest of the show is awesome. Awesome fight, dem TTGL vibes.

5/5
Oct 17, 2013 2:41 PM

Jun 2007
Not sure how they are going to make this all make sense in the end. Seems they had the mc fighting on a practically equal level as the final boss...yet we have to believe that her underlings (who are obviously nowhere close to her level) will make for difficult opposition for Matoi for the next several eps. Oh well, not like that is reason enough to drop it, so I shall find out.
Oct 17, 2013 2:44 PM

Jun 2013
This show is so not what I expected it to be... but I absolutely LOVE IT!!!
Bring on the rest, my body is ready!

By the way, it feels like Satsuki and Ryuuko will team up later on :)
Oct 17, 2013 2:45 PM

Sep 2012
Trigger bringing anime back to TTGL levels
only they could do it.
fucking amazing/10
mrstabhappy said:

9/10 anime is SAVED

Plus blu-rays have been announced 1/8/2014 my body is ready.

Welp. i know what im buying with the force of a thousand suns come next year.
and as others have said.
DAT IMPLOSION
Oct 17, 2013 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
Ridiculous and humorous.
"Get naked, Ryuuko!"
Oct 17, 2013 2:49 PM

Nov 2010
So absurd and exaggerated
I like it! D:

This ended with 3 episodes
or not
Oct 17, 2013 2:54 PM
Jun 2013
BEST EPISODE SO FAR!!!!

To be honest I was actually thinking of dropping this. The first and second episodes didn't really impress me that much, but this definitely did.
Oct 17, 2013 2:57 PM
May 2012
Feels like its following a similar format like TTGL. Kiryuin Satsuki doesn't seem to be the final boss at all, and perhaps might end up teaming up with Ryuko in the end.
5/5 ep for me.
Jul 2018
Nice EP...maybe I am reading too much into it,but could the full activation of Senketsu,which required to be accepted without any embarrassment be metaphore for doing what you want without being ashamed,accepting it and "making it part of your skin",being true to yourself and not being frightened of what society thinks about you?
In short,being proud following your dream.

I might have not put it right into words,but I hope you understood.

Aug 2013
*goes to watch*

Thank god for MAL.
Oct 17, 2013 3:04 PM

Nov 2010
Barion-Zara said:
Holy Shit! Fanservice OvErLoAd!!! O_O!! And Dat Gainaxing of boobs during the transformations was lol XD

^ what he said. =)
Oct 17, 2013 3:31 PM

Jul 2012
I can see why people in the pre-screening for this episode said it's very impressive because it really is. Well, I don't really have many complaints as the underlying themes are being shown more clearly. I just couldn't connect the dots as well as I could in this episode before. Looking forward to more.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Oct 17, 2013 3:47 PM
Oct 2012
10/10 AOTY
Oct 17, 2013 3:48 PM

Feb 2012
Damn Satsuki is always shining like Jesus Christ.

The episode was tight.
Oct 17, 2013 3:50 PM

Aug 2013
that fight was awesomeeeee!

and i guess i'm getting used to the fanservice now
Oct 17, 2013 3:58 PM

Jul 2013
Like others have mentioned, I'm not a huge fan of all the ecchi, but nearly every other aspect of the show is fantastic. I'm not sure the show would even be the same without the ecchi at this point because it appears it may actually service the plot somehow, so I'm gonna have to roll with it. At least fanservice with actual context (like Araragi's POV shots in -Monogatari) is easier to stomach than T&A merely for shits and giggles.

My expectations for this show were high going in, and so far, they've been met. TTGL is a hard act to follow, but I'm confident that this will be every bit as good. Even the story, which is fairly typical at this point, is sure to reach for loftier heights.
"straight cash, homie."
Oct 17, 2013 3:59 PM

Sep 2012
This episode makes me what to get naked as well. Ain't no shame in skin.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Oct 17, 2013 4:02 PM

Apr 2011
It's like TTGL

but even more ridiculous
Oct 17, 2013 4:02 PM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
Those uniform transformations were so much 'mahou shoujo'...

The fanservice though was so increased to the point of being unnecessary. Not even TTGL had that much of fanservice. Despite that, the episode was good and we got to know a little more about Satsuki. She is obvious not the main villain but more likely a rival. I wonder if she is just brainwashed by her clan in acting this way.

I guess it will take many more episodes for Ryuko to face Satsuki again since she will have to go against all those enemies. And I wonder if there is going to be a time-skip in here as well like in TTGL.
Oct 17, 2013 4:11 PM

Apr 2013
Ramkec said:
Damn Satsuki is always shining like Jesus Christ.

"It's time for the lady of the house to get changed!"
Powerful eyebrows.
Oct 17, 2013 4:18 PM

Apr 2011
dragonshade said:
Have a feeling the plot is gonna be way larger than it currently is. Considering how it played out for gurren lagann

I think the same thing

Fucking Amazing epd!
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Oct 17, 2013 4:23 PM

Jun 2013
Epic...
Oct 17, 2013 4:27 PM

Jul 2012
Its too over the top too early...Too much is going on, its too crazy, and it needs to slow down a little. Even when this show tries to be serious its hard to take seriously. Gurren Lagann was over the top sure, but it wasn't this over the top this early. It built itself up and had some slower moments. This is too much... :/
Oct 17, 2013 4:42 PM
Sep 2013
This Anime strives for one thing and one thing only apparently: being as high over the top as possible. I'm loving it. It's complete nonsense and it's amazing
Oct 17, 2013 4:45 PM

Mar 2013
Battlechili1 said:
Its too over the top too early...Too much is going on, its too crazy, and it needs to slow down a little. Even when this show tries to be serious its hard to take seriously. Gurren Lagann was over the top sure, but it wasn't this over the top this early. It built itself up and had some slower moments. This is too much... :/

Really? I mean it was over the top for sure, but for me it felt comparable to when Simon and Kamina first combined. As long as they don't blow up cities within the first 10 episodes Ill be okay :P
Oct 17, 2013 4:46 PM
Jul 2013
Exciting episode, and also had skits. I'm intrigued by the part of the divine garments.
Oct 17, 2013 4:47 PM

Apr 2013
I really liked this episode
Oct 17, 2013 4:49 PM

Jul 2012
SalmonSandwich said:
Battlechili1 said:

Really? I mean it was over the top for sure, but for me it felt comparable to when Simon and Kamina first combined. As long as they don't blow up cities within the first 10 episodes Ill be okay :P

Yeah, I just thought it was a little too much. Simon and Kamina combining for the first time wasn't this big. Still, it was enjoyable for me at least. I just wish it was less over the top.
Oct 17, 2013 4:52 PM

Jan 2009
damn the budget skyrocket lol
Oct 17, 2013 5:04 PM

Apr 2013
SO FUCKING EPIC!!! WRYYYYYY!
Oct 17, 2013 5:04 PM

Mar 2013
Battlechili1 said:
SalmonSandwich said:
Battlechili1 said:

Yeah, I just thought it was a little too much. Simon and Kamina combining for the first time wasn't this big. Still, it was enjoyable for me at least. I just wish it was less over the top.

Haha I guess xD. Wanna bet if they go beyond the scale of destroying just buildings :P? and Like dragonshade said, its probably going to be like Gurren Lagann where the plot changes drastically.
Oct 17, 2013 5:06 PM

Jan 2012
This episode reignited my interest in Kill la Kill
Oct 17, 2013 5:20 PM

Dec 2012
This anime having the balls to go all out so early in the series allows it to stand out from the crowd, we should be encouraging this kind of direction. Very rarely do we get this kind of impact from a battle so early in a series

Already it's got the attention of many, even the naysayers whining about ass and titties are unable to dismiss this kind of epicness, and now they're all crawling back XD

What an ep though. First half went in a little more depth on Satsuki and the Kamui's origins. Then the second half literally blew the fuck up. That's just about the perfect episode at this point. As if the OST needs a mention as well, the arrangement of "DON'T LOSE YOUR WAAAAAAY" blew my mind. Sawano = Genius
Oct 17, 2013 5:21 PM

Mar 2012
DON'T LOSE YOUR WAYYYYY~
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Oct 17, 2013 5:36 PM

Jul 2011
This is show is ridiculous, and I'm loving every single second of it
Oct 17, 2013 5:45 PM

Jan 2013
DarkCyclone said:
This anime having the balls to go all out so early in the series allows it to stand out from the crowd, we should be encouraging this kind of direction. Very rarely do we get this kind of impact from a battle so early in a series

Already it's got the attention of many, even the naysayers whining about ass and titties are unable to dismiss this kind of epicness, and now they're all crawling back XD

What an ep though. First half went in a little more depth on Satsuki and the Kamui's origins. Then the second half literally blew the fuck up. That's just about the perfect episode at this point. As if the OST needs a mention as well, the arrangement of "DON'T LOSE YOUR WAAAAAAY" blew my mind. Sawano = Genius
Agreed.

Some nice Satsuki moments we have here.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 17, 2013 5:50 PM

Aug 2013
Intense fights scenes were awesome... liked that they gave an explanation about the uniforms, reminded me that this anime actually has a plot and isn't just some girl fighting random people in epic fights all the time.
wow gay
Oct 17, 2013 5:56 PM

Mar 2013
Nice cliche of "fight everyone else to get to the boss" there
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Oct 17, 2013 6:00 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Eudaimonia said:

So far this show has been pretty blatant with its Third Reich analogies and it really isn't hard to see what it applies to: The pursuit of World Dominance on the Student Council's side along with unethical human experimentation. The aforementioned theme of purity is also applicable in this instance.
Not unlike how the Nazi government claimed purity for itself Satsuki's definition of purity is pretty twisted taking all her actions into account. While her motifs and ambitions are genuine and clear as day to see there is absolutely nothing "pure" regarding her way of governing and treatment of the powerless.

I seem to be quoting you a lot today, but best comment in all the 5 pages so far :) Since I'm still really unsure what to think about this anime, it's always nice to see what it references or other meanings and symbolisms that goes right over my head as I watch it. Thank you for your insights, I epecially like the Third Reich parallel you spoke of, and even the contrast between Satsuki and Ryuuko.

Anyways, epic fight scenes this week, enhanced by Sawano's compositions. Never stop working with Kobayashi Mika please. More lol stripping sensei scene, though far less over the top than last week. And wow, uh, those outfits o_o
Oct 17, 2013 6:16 PM
Mar 2013
THE MANSERVICE HNNNNNNG~ WOWZA
I was just about to lose interest in this show, but it's just so much fun to watch! Kill la kill is not to be taken too seriously. :D I don't even care about all the oppai exposure anymore as long as I get my man half naked each episode. Satsuki's boobs though, all that flailing made my own boobs hurt. It looks freakin painful. They also snuck in CGI... not that I really mind since it was done well.
Oct 17, 2013 6:29 PM

Dec 2012
I'm liking Satsuki more and more each episode! She sooo reminded me of Boa Hancock when she was leaning backwards stomping in those heels.

Awesome episode again, can't wait for more!
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2013

877 by ardakishere »»
Yesterday, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

BRSxIgnition - Mar 27, 2014

955 by NullZweiChan »»
Apr 14, 10:02 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

BRSxIgnition - Feb 27, 2014

407 by DRUG_Deleted911 »»
Apr 13, 11:40 PM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MCAL - Nov 6, 2013

278 by Nublager »»
Apr 8, 2:00 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

391 by Slimdudejim »»
Apr 7, 8:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.