Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Oct 17, 2013 7:27 AM

Jul 2010
Lol @ Hiroomi's siscon

Good episode .
Oct 17, 2013 7:31 AM

Oct 2007
General quality of this show is about the same as quality of animation in this gif: http://i.minus.com/ibrqGezyDZcWga.gif

From now on I'm only watching this for girls other than Kuriyama.

Damn you KyoAni, go back to making good anime.
Oct 17, 2013 8:03 AM

Aug 2008
That animal biscuit looked a lil bit suspicious if you ask me.
Oct 17, 2013 8:09 AM

Sep 2012
That super powerful youmu approaching town... keeps reminding me of Walpurgisnacht, the super witch in Madoka that also approached the city where the heroine lived. And both youmu and witches are related to the dark side of human emotion and thinking...
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 17, 2013 8:17 AM

Oct 2007
I think all the fetish dialogue in this show is an attempt to imitate Monogatari. A very sad attempt. Nisio is leagues above whoever wrote KnK.
Oct 17, 2013 8:25 AM

Jul 2011
Progeusz said:
General quality of this show is about the same as quality of animation in this gif: http://i.minus.com/ibrqGezyDZcWga.gif

From now on I'm only watching this for girls other than Kuriyama.

Damn you KyoAni, go back to making good anime.

WHAT'S THE POINT IN CUTTING THOSE TWO INNOCENT TREES?? WTF

Progeusz said:
I think all the fetish dialogue in this show is an attempt to imitate Monogatari. A very sad attempt. Nisio is leagues above whoever wrote KnK.

exactly!

We need to repost this on every page, to show how brilliantly written Kyoukai no Kanata is.

Akanezora said:
To summarize.

Mirai: Go away you don't understand!
Akihito: No, I really do!
Mirai: You can't understand what I'm feeling, now go away!
Akihito: No wait-
Mirai: That's unpleasant.
Akihito: ...

Later, after cooking some eggs.

Akihito: No, it's you who doesn't understand!

I don't know anymore.
milloOct 17, 2013 8:30 AM
Oct 17, 2013 8:32 AM

Oct 2007
millo said:
She can't decide between trying to be cool or cute. So far she fails at both.

I just wish Mitsuki was the one with pantyhose.
Oct 17, 2013 8:50 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
That super powerful youmu approaching town... keeps reminding me of Walpurgisnacht, the super witch in Madoka that also approached the city where the heroine lived. And both youmu and witches are related to the dark side of human emotion and thinking...

The Dark Side of Human Emotion creating Youmu is an old concept in animation, I recall that Sakura Wars back in the late 90's had the exact same concept, so its a pretty standard trope.

As for the super youmu, there are a couple of major differences, in Madoka the Walpurgisnacht threatened to destroy the town and everyone had to evacuate to storm shelters, where as here it is quite clear that none of the humans even so much as notice it. The threat this Youmu possesses seems directed only towards Spirit Warriors/other Youmu and maybe the occasional unlucky human. Another difference is that the witch in Madoka had to be defeated, whereas in this show the main goal seems to be to guide the youmu out of the town where it will travel on its way. The difference is that Walpurgisnacht is a type 5 hurricane, whereas the Youmu is more like a tropical storm.

There is, however, a serious major potential plot gap here. It is said that this is the same Youmu that attacked Yui, but in that it everyone seems to know about it coming a couple days in advance, the question is raised: how was it able to sneak up on Yui and Mirai? If this is not explained it would be a failing of the show, but I have confidence that there is more to this than has been explained yet, and this will be a major part of the story.

Another interesting bit is that the teacher obviously meant to goad Mirai into attacking the creature (mentioning both the past and the profit in it), knowing full well that she probably wouldn't survive it. That is a touch of darkness that makes one want to see more, wondering how that will be developed.
Oct 17, 2013 8:52 AM

Jun 2013
ahhhh mitsuki, you're mio i'm dreaming for a long time <3
Oct 17, 2013 9:46 AM

Apr 2011
My glasses fetish is starting to awaken deep inside of me!
Oct 17, 2013 9:47 AM

Jun 2011
It's starting to get annoying. If she doesn't want to kill the youmu, why go and fight them? She fought, but stopped right at the last moment? It's getting annoying man.

The comedy is fine, I like the Hollow Shadow phenomena, pretty epic, and kinda reminded me of Nurarihyon no Mago where Rikuo leads his underlings/allies and invaded Kyoto to confront Hagoromo Kitsune ^^
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 17, 2013 9:55 AM

Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
The difference is that Walpurgisnacht is a type 5 hurricane, whereas the Youmu is more like a tropical storm.
While I agree most of the differences you mentioned, which is why I only said in my post about the super youmu "reminding" me of Walpurgisnacht instead of saying they are similar or even the same. However, given that all the fighters are warned not to tackle the super-youmu or risk death, I get the feeling that this super-youmu is still very powerful. It may not be a type 5 hurricane, but it could well be a type 3 that requires high alert and preparation.

Takuan_Soho said:
There is, however, a serious major potential plot gap here. It is said that this is the same Youmu that attacked Yui, but in that it everyone seems to know about it coming a couple days in advance, the question is raised: how was it able to sneak up on Yui and Mirai? If this is not explained it would be a failing of the show, but I have confidence that there is more to this than has been explained yet, and this will be a major part of the story.
Perhaps the place that they were did not have that many supernatural fighters to make the prediction? Perhaps back then that youmu had not growth as powerful as now? Perhaps because of the death of Yui, people now took it a lot more seriously? I don't really see it being too much of a plot hole here.

Takuan_Soho said:
Another interesting bit is that the teacher obviously meant to goad Mirai into attacking the creature (mentioning both the past and the profit in it), knowing full well that she probably wouldn't survive it. That is a touch of darkness that makes one want to see more, wondering how that will be developed.
From what little I read about the novel, she is not really a dark character, but someone else could be....
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 17, 2013 10:33 AM

Jun 2009
I think I would've liked this show a lot more if Mirai isn't such an unlikable airhead.

It's like... Watching Hirasawa Yui being emo...

The sad thing is, I can picture Yui being completely emo in an episode of K-On! and the episode end up as a heartwarming piece of story...

I think the reason I couldn't enjoy this show, is because I simply couldn't bring myself to like Mirai at all. Her clumsiness, the way she acted, even her supposedly sad backstory didn't manage to touch my emotional heart-string... And it doesn't take much to actually make me feel for a character.

It's not all bad though, there are some highlights in the episode.

Highlight for the episode... The siscon have big scars on his back, Mitsuki have a kamaitachi(?) as a familiar, the girl with the spear-gun, the "talk" between the Association guy and Nase Izumi.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2013 10:49 AM

May 2013
I like This anime
Oct 17, 2013 11:11 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
I get the feeling that this super-youmu is still very powerful. It may not be a type 5 hurricane, but it could well be a type 3 that requires high alert and preparation.

Well it's ability to possess is a serious problem which is why so much preparation is required, but I have a feeling that it will prove to be a low number floor boss, not a high number floor one - I think it exists solely to be cleared, not be an end game in itself (as the Witch in Madoka was). It's been deployed too early and too little effort has been put into making it a villain, so I am expecting it to be killed in episode 4, at latest episode 5. Mirai will be able to kill it because unlike the other humans it could possess she will not be afraid to ram the sword home knowing that the MC is immortal.

symbv said:
Perhaps the place that they were did not have that many supernatural fighters to make the prediction? Perhaps back then that youmu had not growth as powerful as now? Perhaps because of the death of Yui, people now took it a lot more seriously? I don't really see it being too much of a plot hole here.

It was explained that Yui comes from a long line of Youmu hunters and the family was quite prominent, so I doubt that there was a lack of fighters in that area, particularly since it was implied that Mirai was being kept in some sort of house arrest. I think a likely explanation, and perhaps the key source of Mirai's guilt, is that they left the protection because Yui wanted to show Mirai the outside world. But that would need to be shown. Your explanations are also possible, but they also would need to be explained in order to provide plot closure because the youmu has been called powerful and is considered a threat so that explanation requires a change in what we know to be true.
As for it being major, maybe not. But it is these types of things that I don't like in stories, shows the writer isn't paying attention.

symbv said:
From what little I read about the novel, she is not really a dark character, but someone else could be....

As my policy, I haven't read anything about the shows or the novels, so I have no clue as to who is who or what, but she definitely did push Mirai into attacking it when the Association wanted to minimize conflict, so there was something there that needs to be explained late (or again it is just lazy writing).

I am not getting my hopes up about a true "dark" character. KyoAmi doesn't seem to go there (I can't think of one in their entire oeuvre, but this just may be my memory), preferring lighter stuff (even the "depressing" ones such as Clannad weren't "dark", just sad). This is not a knock on KyoAni, I prefer lighter stuff for entertainment, but there has been some hints at some darker stuff there beneath the surface.
Oct 17, 2013 12:00 PM

Jan 2010
Not sure what i think about this episode. The megane-girl is becoming so... contradictional? She's feeling so much guilt about killing a possessed girl, yet she had no mercy for MC in the first episode when she kept killing him numerous times. And when she was stalking him so much she apparently forgot that she's killed someone. Now that she suddenly remembered it she feels like she has no right to be around other people. I just don't get that reasoning of hers.

She had no money yet she refused to take that stone with youmu even though it was her who almost finished it. Okay, let's say she has too much pride to accept help (but then why did she ask mc for help with yokai in her apartment?)

She knows she stands no chance against that hollow youmu yet she's going to fight it. No, really, she has so much trouble defeating minor demons, how do you imagine her fight that boss-like thing?
I wish she gets over this crap soon, cause all other characters and plot look interesting to me.
Oct 17, 2013 2:33 PM

Aug 2008
Saijuro said:
Not sure what i think about this episode. The megane-girl is becoming so... contradictional? She's feeling so much guilt about killing a possessed girl, yet she had no mercy for MC in the first episode when she kept killing him numerous times. And when she was stalking him so much she apparently forgot that she's killed someone. Now that she suddenly remembered it she feels like she has no right to be around other people. I just don't get that reasoning of hers.
it's cos she sees Akihito as a dreamshade and is a huge fuckin racist.
Oct 17, 2013 2:47 PM

Jun 2010
Megane Mitsuki <3

So many new characters o.o

I find the conversation between Mirai and Akihito weird... Didn't knew Akihito was such a "slow" character.

Intense action and godly animation as always!

Dat Sakura.. Machine gun, balmung, chain saw combined @_@
Oct 17, 2013 3:56 PM

Oct 2013
Really great ending song, but the anime itself is....mediocre at best.
Meh, just keep watching for the visuals.
Oct 17, 2013 4:03 PM

Apr 2012
So far I have loved everything in this show except Mirai's role in it.

I like Mirai herself, but I don't like how the show focuses on her because it no matter how hard I try I can't seem to care about her past and character development.

I enjoyed the male lead's interactions with everyone, and I love the world they're building, mirai's cuteness is also nice to see... but when the show wants to be serious and show me her past I just can't take it seriously. Considering how much time the show spends tailing Mirai that could become a pretty big problem.

It's like: I loved the world, I loved the character interaction, the character design, I loved the fanservice, I loved the animation and art style, the OST and VA... but I didn't like the story.

And that's a shame because this particular episode had a very nice feeling to it, like watching an epic movie.
"Rejoice! We are humans— we are the most talented people! Precisely because we were born without any ability— we can achieve anything— this is the will of the weakest race!" – Sora, ‘No game No life Vol.01’
Oct 17, 2013 4:34 PM

Nov 2012
Thought it was funny how Mirai was doing the opposite of what she was saying.Like when she said "I can't take it" while she was holding the money.

Hiroomi's siscon.Call me "Onii-chan!"

Lol'd at "Love you?",no "Drop dead!"

Mitsuki looks hot in glasses,and dem shots<3.

Hiroomi looked different without his scarf.Not just a fashion accessory but a weapon too.

Based on the flashback I'm guessing Mirai was told by her friend to kill her when the Hollow Shadow possessed her.And I'm guessing that next episode the same thing will happen with Akihito,expect this time Akihito won't die cause he's immortal.

Sakura's chainsaw gun blade thing looked pretty cool.

It was revealed that Mirai was tooken in by the Inami family when her clan was destroyed,thus explaining how Mirai and Sakura knew each other.Also guessing Sakura was that other girl's sister.
Oct 17, 2013 4:43 PM
Jul 2013
And cut the episode in the best part, the end.
Oct 17, 2013 5:37 PM

Jul 2013
Man...I am so conflicted. I REALLLY want to like this show, because there are some things i genuinely like (OMFG THAT ED. *VOMITS IN EXCITEMENT*), but some things are really hit-and-miss.
Mirai is cute and sometimes funny but she's really infuriating me. I'd like to see Akihito get mad more as well, not like comical mad, but like actual anger.
Like if he grabbed Mirai to keep her from going after the Hollow Shadow.
Mirai's backstory IS sad, but I mean I didn't really feel anything, they could have conveyed that better.
I want to fucking punch Mirai in the face. Loving Hiromi so far.
I'm guessing Sakura is Yui's sister, but WTF? they just brought her out of nowhere. Also, HOW THE FUCK did Akihito get to Mirai so fast?! Just so he could "save her" in time.
._. Jeez, I like and I really want to like this show because it has potential but it's kinda meh so far (didn't stop me from downloading all the music for it though).
I really wish this show could get darker.
"Komugi, are you there?"

Oct 17, 2013 5:42 PM

Apr 2010
Don't know wether this anime is trying to be moe or action the two can work together but somehow things feel a bit out of place in this.
I don't really like action but somehow i don't mind it here what bothered me more was the emphasis on the glasses, the obsession of the main with them is a bit to much.
I also don't like those ugly 90s glasses but shamefully those are in lately, luckily it's just a trend and it will go over in time for the anime however by the time it's over this anime will already have stopped airing.

For the main girl she just doesn't look appealing her hair looks terrible and as a mentioned earlier those ugly 90s glasses don't soothe her and then there is the pink jacket.
It's like a total mismatch tho it does soothe the story style, and doesn't really soothe KyoAni style with the way they are trying to make her look cute.
Oct 17, 2013 6:13 PM

Nov 2009
Progeusz said:
millo said:

probably ''testing the waters'' with her ability
Oct 17, 2013 6:15 PM

May 2013
Pretty good episode. The only thing that is ruining the anime so far is Mirai. She contradicts herself like what Saijuro said.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Oct 17, 2013 6:59 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
I wish they simply tone down the emo drama part...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 17, 2013 7:17 PM
Oct 2012
Baku219 said:
Pretty good episode. The only thing that is ruining the anime so far is Mirai. She contradicts herself like what Saijuro said.

No she doesn't. She would have no issues killing youmus, the only reason she has an issue is because she killed her best friend while she was possessed by a youmu. If not for this, then Mirai would have no problem killing any youmu she came across, though she is beginning to learn that not all youmu are wolf like beasts that feed upon humans, so her horizons are starting to broaden there. Though a lot of that depends on how the MC acts next episode.

And it is not surprising that she didn't know that there were neutral or even good youmus. As this episode shows, she was basically imprisoned for most of her life, so she has very little experience with Youmu (outside of the one who possessed her friend).

Part of growing up is learning that what you thought is true about different nationalities isn't true. Mirai is learning this the hard way because her first experience was so horrific for her. That isn't "racist" that is to be expected.
Oct 17, 2013 7:30 PM

Jul 2013
I would say this is an okay episode, but my issue is about Mirai's decision on following the Hollow Shadow and her personality is kind of a bit irritating. I understand about her past being to unpleasant for her but she doesn't have to follow the Shadows.

Well it was funny in the first half, and it became a serious atmosphere in the second half if it. Also we get to see Mirai past in this and I can see why Sakura is attacking her now. Oh yeah the fight looks pretty cool imo. Well I hope next episode is interesting.
omega_d94Oct 17, 2013 7:33 PM

Oct 17, 2013 9:05 PM

Apr 2012
the episode felt really quick but at least we found out why she killed a girl.
it was also really cool seeing everyone use their powers!
i thought hiroomi's especially great with the way he manipulated his scarf.
the hollow shadow will probably be a big topic on the show? or it might just be a temp arc who knows.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2013 9:16 PM
Jul 2018
If a human form youmu is killed do they turn into loot crystals too?
Oct 17, 2013 9:39 PM

Jan 2013
OMG, what is that fluffy purple bluish creature at the beginning?? Can I eat it?
Oct 17, 2013 11:07 PM

May 2010
I didn't expect Hiroomi to be a siscon, I thought he was interested in Akihito or something xD This sure is getting interesting now. This show has one of the best opening and ending songs this season and esp. that ending song (Or maybe it's just me who always prefer ED songs over OP songs I mean almost 70 percent japanese songs in my playlist are ending songs xD)... Akihito needs some powers!
Oct 18, 2013 1:41 AM

Sep 2012
symbv said:
Takuan_Soho said:
The difference is that Walpurgisnacht is a type 5 hurricane, whereas the Youmu is more like a tropical storm.
While I agree most of the differences you mentioned, which is why I only said in my post about the super youmu "reminding" me of Walpurgisnacht instead of saying they are similar or even the same. However, given that all the fighters are warned not to tackle the super-youmu or risk death, I get the feeling that this super-youmu is still very powerful. It may not be a type 5 hurricane, but it could well be a type 3 that requires high alert and preparation.

Takuan_Soho said:

Takuan_Soho said:

Do spoil me, thank you. =D
Oct 18, 2013 2:39 AM

May 2009
I thought the halberd fighter was the manifestation of Mirai's dead childhood friend but after a short check I discovered they have different names so she can't possibly be Yui. Which leaves the question: who is that girl? She's still associated with the Inami family which raised Mirai, but the latter never mentioned another daughter.

Takuan_Soho said:

I think the way Kyoani animated that scene wasn't what actually happened that day, that was a dramatic representation of the incident. I mean, the Shadow didn't sneak up on them without anyone noticing, Kyoani decided to mesh together two different scenes that happened at different times to maintain the flow in narration.

I know I'm grasping at straws here, but that's the only reasonable explanation.
Arashi89Oct 18, 2013 2:53 AM
Oct 18, 2013 5:19 AM

Aug 2012
Progeusz said:

it felt forced, i think.. so yeah, i agree

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Oct 18, 2013 5:29 AM

Jan 2008
Can't believe how much the Ep3 preview just tells you whats going to happen next.
Oct 18, 2013 7:07 AM

Oct 2011
Intense episode.

Mirai's past TwT

Dat scarf

Akihito : 0

I love the Op and ED song!!!
Oct 18, 2013 8:36 AM

Jul 2008
Hiroomi's sister fetish haha :D now we know more about Mirai :)
Oct 18, 2013 9:55 AM

Sep 2012
An intense episode.

I think i'm obsessed to megane girls now because of Mirai's cuteness =D

That preview, is that Akihito?? can't wait next week.
Progeusz said:
millo said:

That made me laugh.
Oct 18, 2013 10:34 AM

Aug 2008
Better than the two previous episodes, but still nothing that great.
Oct 18, 2013 11:04 AM

Feb 2011
Once I saw that gun/chainsaw I thought Gears Of War
Oct 18, 2013 6:53 PM

Aug 2008
hahahahha yeah. ^

She should've succeeded in sawing Mirai's face off.
Oct 18, 2013 6:53 PM

Jul 2010
I NEVER SAAAAY GOOODBYEE, ITSUDATTE SOUU SAA~
Oct 18, 2013 8:03 PM
Oct 2012
Enthen said:
Better than the two previous episodes, but still nothing that great.

KyoAmi is seldom, if ever, "great". They don't aim for that. Their goal is to be consistently above average in everything they do, and they have been very successful at doing this.
Oct 18, 2013 8:36 PM
Jun 2013
Progeusz said:
millo said:

I'm worried with myself that this was my only thought throughout the episode.
Oct 18, 2013 10:57 PM
Jul 2018
Watchable but not that great! Well at least compare to some others anime of the season, it has a nice ED to await for after each episode.
Oct 18, 2013 11:04 PM

May 2009
This episode had the chance of progressing Mirai as a strong and independent character but so far it has failed. It may happen in episode 4 or perhaps a later episode but I doubt it. I dont see her going from moe to hardcore ever.
Oct 19, 2013 5:11 AM

Apr 2009
Don't watch the preview. Huge spoiled ><
Oct 19, 2013 8:42 AM
May 2013
I'm really enjoying how they use the Literary Club to make subtle commentary regarding the story.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2013

338 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Mar 5, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

537 by fnafjeremy »»
Jan 12, 9:02 AM

» 10th anniversary was yesterday...

dabiggestbird - Oct 4, 2023

17 by pinemoth »»
Oct 14, 2023 7:07 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2013

475 by Aruna0 »»
Jul 6, 2023 12:59 PM

Poll: » Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2013

448 by ds87 »»
Jun 21, 2023 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.