Forum Settings
Forums

'Saki: Zenkoku-hen' to Air in January 2014

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 16, 2013 9:50 AM

Oct 2007
xchee said:
Hmm I wonder if we have enough material for Saki though. Last I checked, the manga's only up to like...quarterfinals? Semi-finals?
First hanchan of Seargant match. That would be between 20 and 30% of semis.
Oct 16, 2013 10:31 AM

Jul 2011
As long as they keep on animating Saki stuff, I'm all good.
Oct 16, 2013 10:40 AM
May 2012
Good news :3 Saki looks fun to watch :D I'll be waiting for this!!!
Oct 16, 2013 12:36 PM

Oct 2012
OH NO!!!! I THOUGHT IT PREMIERED IN SPRING!!!!!!!
Oct 16, 2013 12:45 PM
Sep 2009
Great news for me, I just recently finished season 1 and loved it. Can't wait =P
Oct 16, 2013 1:11 PM

May 2010
YES! More saki, please.
~~~~~~
Oct 16, 2013 1:42 PM

Mar 2013
Winter is looking to be the greatest season of all time. Sakura Trick and now Saki? Yes to the please.
Oct 16, 2013 2:14 PM

Mar 2012
Well, looks like I'm running out of time to catch up. Hope I can make it in time.

AndyRayy said:
With so many good shows like this slated for the Winter season, I'm finding it difficult to understand why people are saying that they see nothing interesting to check out.
Funny how the current season is kind of hit and miss while the next season is the one I'm looking forward to. It's pretty much the opposite of last year where we had Hidamari Sketch, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Chuu2 and a whole bunch of other great shows followed up by a season where Haganai looked like an absolute masterpiece (Although Love Live was the best show that season).
Oct 16, 2013 3:41 PM
Jul 2013
AOTS Winter 2014.

It's about time, really hoping everything is in line to continue this masterpiece. Looking forward to it all.
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Oct 16, 2013 4:41 PM

Oct 2012
I don't know if this is good or bad o.O I'm really happy they're airing it earlier, but I don't want the anime to be rushed or anything...

Oct 16, 2013 5:01 PM

Feb 2012
Will be interesting to see how they handle the adaptation.
Oct 16, 2013 5:12 PM
Dec 2012
I guess the time has come for me to catch up on the series.

Can't wait for the sequel :)
Oct 16, 2013 6:14 PM

Jul 2012
YES! YES! YES!

More Saki and more moe mahjong! :D

I can't wait! Really hope it's two-cour like the first season but don't know if there's enough material since the manga is going at a snail's pace D:
Oct 16, 2013 6:55 PM

Nov 2009
Hurray! Saki! Super excited.
Oct 16, 2013 7:36 PM

Jan 2011
If they do it like S1, can't go wrong.
Oct 16, 2013 11:16 PM

Aug 2013
Finally its here!!! 2014 is lovely...
Oct 17, 2013 5:19 PM

Nov 2009
itazuranamelody said:
OH NO!!!! I THOUGHT IT PREMIERED IN SPRING!!!!!!!

Why the "OH NO"? It's announced to air earlier you know... LOL
Winter 2014 is after this season so we'll be seeing it after Fall 2013.
Oct 17, 2013 9:35 PM

Oct 2012
I almost had a heart attack after I saw this on crunchyroll:
http://i.imgur.com/TI27hRx.jpg

Too much MOE to handle >.<

Oct 17, 2013 9:49 PM
Jul 2013
Takei_Hisa said:

That's righteous.
Oct 18, 2013 12:24 AM
Jul 2013
Finaliy .. It's Spin-Off of Achiga-hen right ?
Oct 18, 2013 12:54 AM

Oct 2007
Takei_Hisa said:

Just so you know, this is source: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=26683970 + http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=27972736
Once again CrunchyRoll proves they're copying from 4chan, that image was opening post of last thread.
Oct 18, 2013 2:16 AM

Dec 2011
BlackStirker said:

Was that supposed to be a joke?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 18, 2013 4:03 PM

Oct 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
BlackStirker said:

lol. this was fun to read.

Oct 18, 2013 6:23 PM
Jul 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:
BlackStirker said:

I think so.

Ironic how many people have seen Side-A yet haven't even seen regular. Kind of irks me.
Oct 18, 2013 11:07 PM
Jul 2009
Looking forward to this :D.

No music, no life. Know music, know life. Thomas Carlyle
Oct 19, 2013 1:22 AM

Oct 2007
BasedToki said:
kuuderes_shadow said:
BlackStirker said:

I think so.

Ironic how many people have seen Side-A yet haven't even seen regular. Kind of irks me.
The worst thing about it is that some people get wrong idea about the series from watching Achiga first. Original has well thought-out abilities and players with good skill while in Achiga it's closer to magic and shounen-like power-ups. Of course it isn't that bad most of the time, it's still Saki, but captain match of semis was flagrant example.
Oct 19, 2013 1:44 AM
Oct 2013
Nice way to explain it but Can you tell me how to do that.
Oct 20, 2013 1:33 AM

Oct 2007
AndyRayy said:
Besides, I never really watched this show with any kind of scrutinous mindset, so I just kind of accepted the fact that everyone would have some deus-ex machina level power up spring forth.
You see, there is no such thing in Saki. One of its strengths is that powerlevels are consistent, make sense in-universe. Plot points are foreshadowed. There's progression, not jumps. Character introduced as average player isn't suddenly able to beat the top overnight. Characters get better by playing mahjong, not by running like a monkey or letting your hips be nom'd. It's possible to play around the abilities with skill.
Achiga throws all of this out of the window.
Captain match was just a battle of powers. "My power works the most this round, so I win". "My power is stronger so I win". "My power is weaker this round so I lose". Zero skill involved, no tension (Awai is one of the worst players, just with broken power - no such thing in original Saki). There's no way for the skills and powers to interact with each other because latter are shown like absolutes.

e: typo
ProgeuszOct 20, 2013 1:51 AM
Oct 20, 2013 1:42 AM

Oct 2012
Wow...thank goodness it got moved forward! Can't wait to see it.
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Oct 20, 2013 2:00 AM
Jul 2013
Achiga-hen certainly had some win characters, including my franchise favorites in Toki, Ryuuka, and Kuro. However, I just wish it relied less on shounen-type magic like Progeusz has put forward before. If it were like regular Saki in terms of matches, I'd probably elevate my grade significantly.

Progeusz kind of stole my thunder above me though, if only I were not doing what I was doing! D:
Oct 20, 2013 2:35 AM

Oct 2007
Haha, I hope you'll forgive your fellow Toki lover.

Really a shame because Achiga introduced plenty of lovable characters. It's just that mahjong part wasn't done up to par with original series. That alone wouldn't even be much of a problem if it didn't affect final match in main manga. Unfortunately it does, so in all honesty, I'm much more excited for current side B semis than finals.
Oct 20, 2013 3:23 AM
Jul 2013
Progeusz said:
Haha, I hope you'll forgive your fellow Toki lover.

Really a shame because Achiga introduced plenty of lovable characters. It's just that mahjong part wasn't done up to par with original series. That alone wouldn't even be much of a problem if it didn't affect final match in main manga. Unfortunately it does, so in all honesty, I'm much more excited for current side B semis than finals.

You're forgiven :P

Exactly my sentiments. As said before, if they put all of those characters in regular Saki and used regular's style, I'd probably fall in love with that show.
Oct 20, 2013 4:37 PM

Oct 2012
imo: Saki> Achiga-hen

Though I still love both of them to death. I probably like Saki better since they went more in depth with stuff like training and how the mahjong games were executed. Especially the captains match in Saki, that's what I call EPIC.

Oct 21, 2013 3:14 PM
Feb 2010
New Saki.
I. Can't. Wait.
I. Can't. Be. More. Happy.
Oct 22, 2013 5:23 PM

Mar 2013
AndyRayy said:
Achiga-hen > Original

I don't know, maybe it's just the fact that I watched it so recently, but I thought the actual mahjong was better in Achiga-hen. The non-mahjong parts were okay, but that's where I thought it really shined. I suppose that's why I liked the specials so much more than the series.

Besides, I never really watched this show with any kind of scrutinous mindset, so I just kind of accepted the fact that everyone would have some deus-ex machina level power up spring forth.

You should try playing some actual mahjong before stating things like this. Saki's mahjong is literally just objectively better than the power level idiocy in Achiga-hen. Why does Awai lose to Shindouji combo? That's right, b/c the shindouji combo is just better. Why does Awai lose to Shizu's monkey magic? Because that has the higher power level. Why do Toki's interupts not work against Teru? Because Teru has a higher power level. Same goes for Ryuuka and most of the others, and it just tells you who the winner is in most hands.

I honestly don't understand your post. You say "I thought the actual mahjong was better in Achiga" and then you acknowledge that it's all deus ex stupidity. You literally defeat your own opinion.

The original is so much better. You get amazing plays like the chankan from yumi, Saki distracting Koromo by powering up other player's hands with kan dora, deliberately letting herself be chankanned (which was possibly the very best single play of the series). There are so many more too. The only play (There is literally only one) in Achiga-hen that compares to any of them is Teru discarding the 3-pin and then subsequently ponning Subara's 3-pin after that.

Progeusz literally the only sense-making poster on this page (besides guy above me, I totally understand that). I'm sorry but Achiga is just factually awful mahjong-wise compared to the original, or even Plot armor: the anime aka Akagi. The main characters are all terrible too, with contrived powers when the plot demands it besides from Arata. It goes for the manga too, although I won't go into the specifics there.

It gets worse when you look at what the players are there for. Shizuno and Kuro's powers have been decided because of the plot, nothing more. They are less than characters. They are plot devices for limiting the Miyanaga's powers. That's literally it. Don't get me started on Ryuuka's power either. That was embarrassingly contrived.

And speaking of plot devices, Harue is possibly the worst character of the series. Just wow she's bad. I wouldn't expect to get that level of stupidity anywhere, and I was expecting to like her after she is shown to be crying near the start about getting destroyed by the grandmaster. My favourite idiotic Harue moment: Sumire's tell explanation. There are so many problems with that arc that Achiga would literally be a better show if you just deleted it.
imbsOct 22, 2013 8:57 PM
Oct 22, 2013 8:42 PM

Sep 2012
imbs said:
Progeusz literally the only sense-making poster in this thread.
Don't you think it is a bit extreme to dismiss all but one poster in this thread this way, particularly regarding that most posters here did not even join the Achiga vs Saki debate?
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 22, 2013 8:55 PM

Mar 2013
symbv said:
imbs said:
Don't you think it is a bit extreme to dismiss all but one poster in this thread this way, particularly regarding that most posters here did not even join the Achiga vs Saki debate?

Correct, I apologise. Should have specified page rather than thread. I will edit it for you.
Oct 22, 2013 9:03 PM

Sep 2012
^ Thanks for your consideration.

Yeah, I think particularly for people who have good knowledge about Mahjong game and rules, the play in Saki would make better sense than what is shown in Achiga.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 23, 2013 1:11 AM

Dec 2011
imbs said:
symbv said:
imbs said:

Correct, I apologise. Should have specified page rather than thread. I will edit it for you.

I still think that's completely wrong, given that there was only one person on that page making the point you were disagreeing with.

But to get myself involved in the discussion, (all spoilered for people who haven't read or watched Achiga-hen)

I do prefer the original series, but I think you're doing Achiga-hen an injustice with your criticisms.
kuuderes_shadowOct 23, 2013 2:02 AM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 23, 2013 3:31 AM

Mar 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:

Toki didn't have interrupts. What she did have was basically the ability to see what tiles each person would draw and how they would react to them. Based on this she could then pick the best option with regards to how she should play. But sometimes in mahjong the result is the same no matter what you do, particularly when you can only see what happens for the next round or two. That's basically the case for Toki vs Teru, with the sole exception of the time when her ability failed and she dealt into Teru's hand.

She certainly attempted to interupt the flow of the game, changing the drawing order when she used her power to see Teru winning. It isn't presented as luck or coincidence like you imply, and it happens multiple times. It's presented as the champion being skillful, but it literally just has her win with no attempt at explanation, even though there are possible ways to explain that particular thing in interesting ways.

kuuderes_shadow said:

Kuro and Yuu's abilities are actually explained better than most of the other characters in the series. From Mihoko to Teru to Jun to Aislinn, there are a lot of characters with no explanation for why they developed the abilities they have. And Shizu's is basically from the same sort of source as the Eisui girls' abilities in the main series are.

I don't understand why you think that's a good thing. Powers that are completely explained in their entirety are much less interesting than powers such as Saki's or Mihokos where the fans are able to speculate, where the power is at least somewhat mysterious. That said your point doesn't really contradict what I said. Kuro is there to put the breaks on Miyanaga Teru. Shizu is there to put the breaks on Miyanaga Saki. This is pretty transparent, too.

kuuderes_shadow said:

As for Harue spotting the tell, that's just something you notice sometimes. It makes sense that Harue would be watching through their play records in order to check their opponents' playing styles and any tells they may have (and most people do have them of one sort or another). There's nothing odd about her spotting an unusual bit of behaviour. I've noticed stuff that was less obvious than that before now. And once you've seen that sort of thing once, you can go and check other places where it may have happened to see if it did. Obviously, as it does happen, she can then pass on the information to Yuu as something to watch out for.

A mastermind character is okay, except Harue is so much ebtter than every other researcher including Hisa, FunaQ, and the character ends up just being a plot device to make Achiga winning not too stupid, which still fails considering even Tsuruga and Kazekoshi are spanking them during the national arc. Let's also not pretend Sumire's hand would actually even be visible to either Harue on camera or Yuu in game. Yuu would literally need to have X-ray vision to see it, in particular.

kuuderes_shadow said:

I do prefer the original series, but I think you're doing Achiga-hen an injustice with your criticisms.

I really don't agree. Achiga is so much worse, and not just in terms of mahjong either. The pacing, the main characters, the side characters, plot armor and even the hype. Take Shiraitodai. They are an embarrassingly bad side from what we've seen so far, an embarrassingly bad side with one good player who is carrying them on her back.

Spoiler b/c it's manga related.

And you say Ryuuka's power came out of nowhere, but Shizu is literally the main character, and we have no reason to believe she is occult in the slightest until it's convenient to the plot that she is. It's the worst form of writing, and it's likely because it was written for a shounen magazine unlike the main series. Shizu is actually so much worse than Saki as a main character that it gets embarrassing fast in a direct comparison.
Oct 23, 2013 4:32 AM

Dec 2011
imbs said:

She certainly attempted to interupt the flow of the game, changing the drawing order when she used her power to see Teru winning. It isn't presented as luck or coincidence like you imply, and it happens multiple times. It's presented as the champion being skillful, but it literally just has her win with no attempt at explanation, even though there are possible ways to explain that particular thing in interesting ways.

Yes, Toki tries to change the drawing order but her ability itself has nothing to do with the flow of the game.
And I don't think it was presented as Teru being particularly skillful in her winning anyway - it was presented as an inevitability. If something is inevitable then there really isn't any skill involved in making it happen.

I don't understand why you think that's a good thing. Powers that are completely explained in their entirety are much less interesting than powers such as Saki's or Mihokos where the fans are able to speculate, where the power is at least somewhat mysterious. That said your point doesn't really contradict what I said. Kuro is there to put the breaks on Miyanaga Teru. Shizu is there to put the breaks on Miyanaga Saki. This is pretty transparent, too.

A character's ability serving a particular purpose for the story isn't a bad thing unless it serves no purpose when up against anybody else. Which clearly isn't the case here - Kuro's dora-hoarding abilities enable her to win big against weaker opponents, or to prevent Teru from being able to use dora to strengthen her hand, and
. And Shizu's powers worked just as well on Awai, and seemed like they were having an impact on the Shindouji duo as well.

And I was talking more about the reason behind the abilities rather than the actual abilities themselves.

A mastermind character is okay, except Harue is so much ebtter than every other researcher including Hisa, FunaQ... Let's also not pretend Sumire's hand would actually even be visible to either Harue on camera or Yuu in game. Yuu would literally need to have X-ray vision to see it, in particular.

You've got a point there, although FunaQ's data-manipulation wouldn't necessarily pick this out, and Hisa may well have noticed it too for all we know. And you can be fairly sure that it would be visible on the replays somewhere.

As to whether or not Yuu would see it depends on positioning. It does look like her finger would be slightly out of Yuu's sight, but it's close enough that it might not be.

Take Shiraitodai. They are an embarrassingly bad side from what we've seen so far, an embarrassingly bad side with one good player who is carrying them on her back.

No, they're not. But they did fail to live up to the hype that they were presented with - the only one of the 13 teams the series focuses on (8 semi-finalists, the 2 teams that are beaten in Saki's quarters, and the other 3 teams from the finals of the regionals) that is considerably weaker than them is Kazekoshi. Shiraitodai has a mega-powerhouse in the form of Teru, a strong player in the form of Sumire, a really weak player who could nonetheless cause havoc if in the wrong position on the table in the form of Takami, a weak player whose abilities make her even weaker in the form of Seiko, and a powerful and arrogant monster who met with humiliation towards the end of the semi-finals in the form of Awai.

If it wasn't for the hype you would be calling them a strong school - not overwhelmingly so, and maybe not even the strongest in the series, but a strong one nonetheless. But yes, they aren't as strong as the hype made them out to be - and the media within the series is still making them out to be. Because they were made out to be superpowers, and then brought down to the level which they actually are - very much contention for the championships, but not overwhelming favourite.

And you say Ryuuka's power came out of nowhere, but Shizu is literally the main character, and we have no reason to believe she is occult in the slightest until it's convenient to the plot that she is.

I can't be bothered to argue this out again. I've got bored of that argument. I've already gone over in detail, on multiple occasions, both BEFORE as well as during/after the final match of the semifinals, how Shizu having an ability is foreshadowed and doesn't come out of nowhere. Go read through the threads on the manga or anime forums if you actually want to see the points I would just be repeating here.
Oct 23, 2013 5:10 AM

Oct 2007
@imbs, I appreciate your words but in my opinion other posters were making sense as well (well, except for AndyRayy). Anyway, it's good to see you having rational view on Achiga's problems.

kuuderes_shadow said:
Shizu having an ability is foreshadowed
Comedy gold.

I'll try to join the ever-lasting debate when I find more time.
Oct 23, 2013 5:58 AM

Apr 2012
imbs said:
You should try playing some actual mahjong before stating things like this. Saki's mahjong is literally just objectively better than the power level idiocy in Achiga-hen. Why does Awai lose to Shindouji combo? That's right, b/c the shindouji combo is just better. Why does Awai lose to Shizu's monkey magic? Because that has the higher power level. Why do Toki's interupts not work against Teru? Because Teru has a higher power level. Same goes for Ryuuka and most of the others, and it just tells you who the winner is in most hands.

I honestly don't understand your post. You say "I thought the actual mahjong was better in Achiga" and then you acknowledge that it's all deus ex stupidity. You literally defeat your own opinion.

The original is so much better. You get amazing plays like the chankan from yumi, Saki distracting Koromo by powering up other player's hands with kan dora, deliberately letting herself be chankanned (which was possibly the very best single play of the series). There are so many more too. The only play (There is literally only one) in Achiga-hen that compares to any of them is Teru discarding the 3-pin and then subsequently ponning Subara's 3-pin after that.

Progeusz literally the only sense-making poster on this page (besides guy above me, I totally understand that). I'm sorry but Achiga is just factually awful mahjong-wise compared to the original, or even Plot armor: the anime aka Akagi. The main characters are all terrible too, with contrived powers when the plot demands it besides from Arata. It goes for the manga too, although I won't go into the specifics there.

It gets worse when you look at what the players are there for. Shizuno and Kuro's powers have been decided because of the plot, nothing more. They are less than characters. They are plot devices for limiting the Miyanaga's powers. That's literally it. Don't get me started on Ryuuka's power either. That was embarrassingly contrived.

And speaking of plot devices, Harue is possibly the worst character of the series. Just wow she's bad. I wouldn't expect to get that level of stupidity anywhere, and I was expecting to like her after she is shown to be crying near the start about getting destroyed by the grandmaster. My favourite idiotic Harue moment: Sumire's tell explanation. There are so many problems with that arc that Achiga would literally be a better show if you just deleted it.
Perhaps before everyone gets their panties into a twist trying to defend their precious moe mahjong from a "typed up in about a minute" post from a fellow fan, perhaps you should do a little more analysis of what I actually meant.

As you recall, I said that I wasn't watching it with any kind of serious mindset, meaning that I watched the matches with the intent of simply seeing some silly, over the top interpretations of a mahjong match. And as you folks are making quite clear, Achiga-hen succeeds quite well in that regard if you aren't scrutinously analyzing the progression of everyone's power and every other little detail.

I suppose you guys' opinions to this show are reminiscent of the bandwagon haters toward SAO; they hate it and think it is the most terrible thing ever, but I at least enjoyed because I watched it with the mindset that it would be exactly as illogical but damn entertaining as it oftentimes was. Besides, as I said, I liked that style of mahjong in Achiga-hen more so entertainment-wise, but if you took the 5 seconds (or 5 minutes, with MAL loading the way it is) to look at my list, you'd see that the original has always been scored overall better than the spin-off. Heck, I even acknowledged that the deus ex machina, shounen-esque methods of power acquisition caused me to watch this series (i.e. Achiga-hen) as a no brainer, yet you people still continue to throw unnecessary logic toward me as if I don't know or needed to be lectured as though I'm DraconisMarch bitching about a new season of "pedo pandering garbage" or something.

And before you go making assumptions about me based on a single post I made on a random news topic expressing my joy over a new season, yes, I indeed do dabble in the art of mahjong and I'd wager to say that I'd quite easily overwhelm half of the posters here flaunting their terminology penises around.
Progeusz said:
other posters were making sense as well (well, except for AndyRayy).
I read that as:
other posters, to varying degrees, share my opinion as well (well, except for AndyRayy).
AndyRayyOct 23, 2013 6:37 AM

Oct 23, 2013 6:47 AM

Oct 2007
AndyRayy said:
Progeusz said:
other posters were making sense as well (well, except for AndyRayy).
I read that as:
other posters, to varying degrees, share my opinion as well (well, except for AndyRayy).
Nope, I have never thought like that. You read it wrong and insulted me doing so.
AndyRayy said:
the actual mahjong was better in Achiga-hen
doesn't make sense, that's all, it's not a matter of tastes.
Oct 23, 2013 6:48 AM

Dec 2011
Progeusz said:

You were in it the first time. In fact, if I remember rightly you were the one that started it in the first place.
Oct 23, 2013 6:52 AM

Apr 2012
Progeusz said:
AndyRayy said:
the actual mahjong was better in Achiga-hen
doesn't make sense, that's all, it's not a matter of tastes.
I'd say that the very fact that we disagree about this (I think it was, you think it wasn't) shows that it is indeed a matter of taste.

Perhaps this entire futile retaliation to my opinion will be doused if I simply rephrase "better" to "more entertaining" since I watch anime to be entertained. That which entertains me more will generally be thought of as better.

Oct 23, 2013 6:59 AM

Oct 2007
kuuderes_shadow said:
Progeusz said:

You were in it the first time. In fact, if I remember rightly you were the one that started it in the first place.
I'm not sure what you mean by "first time" but yes, I was talking about it in various places since raws of captain match chapters came out.

@AndyRayy, there's a difference between "better" and "more entertaining". First term can't always be considered purely subjective. If you said that matches were better, that would be okay. But saying that actual mahjong is better? No way in hell.
Oct 23, 2013 8:05 AM

Apr 2012
Progeusz said:
@AndyRayy, there's a difference between "better" and "more entertaining". First term can't always be considered purely subjective. If you said that matches were better, that would be okay. But saying that actual mahjong is better? No way in hell.
I at least can see where you're coming from, but as this series has a lot of non-mahjong elements in it (most specifically, the slice of life-ish portions), "actual mahjong" is simply referring to when they're actually playing mahjong. As such, 'actual mahjong' was indeed referring to the matches, though I suppose that may not have been clear enough without this added context.

Though I still think that the actual gameplay could, to an extent, be a matter of opinion, I do indeed agree that the original was many notches above in that regard.

Finally, if I insulted you earlier, I do apologize. But I also took offense to the fact that you would specifically call out my comment as "not making sense" simply because it apparently fell out of line with your particular thoughts, especially when it would appear that the comment was focused on a slight misinterpretation in the first place.
AndyRayyOct 23, 2013 8:10 AM

Oct 23, 2013 9:03 AM

Mar 2013
kuuderes_shadow said:

Yes, Toki tries to change the drawing order but her ability itself has nothing to do with the flow of the game.
And I don't think it was presented as Teru being particularly skillful in her winning anyway - it was presented as an inevitability. If something is inevitable then there really isn't any skill involved in making it happen.

Toki's ability may not have anything to do with the flow of the game, but her interuption attempt certainly was. She saw Teru was about to win, and tried to change the flow of the game. She even says as much during the match. I remember because it irritated me when it wasn't explained. The attempt failed because it was Teru. And skillful? Arguing that it isn't pressented as such is besides the point. If skillful isn't the right word then try powerful. It supposedly works because of Teru's power, not luck.

kuuderes_shadow said:

A character's ability serving a particular purpose for the story isn't a bad thing unless it serves no purpose when up against anybody else. Which clearly isn't the case here - Kuro's dora-hoarding abilities enable her to win big against weaker opponents, or to prevent Teru from being able to use dora to strengthen her hand, and
. And Shizu's powers worked just as well on Awai, and seemed like they were having an impact on the Shindouji duo as well.

I'm okay with most of this, but I disagree that it's okay that Kuro's ability was so transparently designed with Teru in mind. I'm glad that it directly affects Yuuki as well, but I can't help feel that that is just a coincidental by-product. And I don't think there is any defending Shizu.

kuuderes_shadow said:

No, they're not. But they did fail to live up to the hype that they were presented with - the only one of the 13 teams the series focuses on (8 semi-finalists, the 2 teams that are beaten in Saki's quarters, and the other 3 teams from the finals of the regionals) that is considerably weaker than them is Kazekoshi. Shiraitodai has a mega-powerhouse in the form of Teru, a strong player in the form of Sumire, a really weak player who could nonetheless cause havoc if in the wrong position on the table in the form of Takami, a weak player whose abilities make her even weaker in the form of Seiko, and a powerful and arrogant monster who met with humiliation towards the end of the semi-finals in the form of Awai.

If it wasn't for the hype you would be calling them a strong school - not overwhelmingly so, and maybe not even the strongest in the series, but a strong one nonetheless. But yes, they aren't as strong as the hype made them out to be - and the media within the series is still making them out to be. Because they were made out to be superpowers, and then brought down to the level which they actually are - very much contention for the championships, but not overwhelming favourite.

In terms of overall strength? Sure, but that's just because of how fearsome Teru is. If you ignore the vanguard for a second, Shiraitodai are suddenly weaker than way too many teams. Even Kazekoshi would be stronger if they happened to have kana at vanguard instead of Mihoko. Seiko had -60,000 vs non-monster players. Okay there's an ace, and Arata recieved an (acceptable) semi-final power up, but it's still pathetic. Sumire? Sure, but that's one decent player at best, whose ability is likely countered by several normal ability players, and wouldn't stand a chance against monsters. Compared to Ryuumonbuchi, Rinkai and probably Usuzan they come up short. Usuzan are supposed to be a two man team, yet their worst player scored better than Seiko against one of the best players we've seen so far.

Either way I'm not sure going further into this is a good idea, as I believe we can agree at the least that the hype was done badly. I suspect those players who did badly for Shiraitodai lost those points purely to make sure Achiga won because of the whole semi final thing. Whilst it's awful writing at least it confirms there's no chance of Achiga winning the final.

kuuderes_shadow said:

I can't be bothered to argue this out again. I've got bored of that argument. I've already gone over in detail, on multiple occasions, both BEFORE as well as during/after the final match of the semifinals, how Shizu having an ability is foreshadowed and doesn't come out of nowhere. Go read through the threads on the manga or anime forums if you actually want to see the points I would just be repeating here.

Even if you are right, and you likely even are, it is still awful. Slight foreshadowing followed by losing to everyone is unacceptable for a main character to suddenly power up so badly in anything but shounen aimed at <10 year olds. It really is slight as well, the foreshadowing. I've seen the arguments. It's just not acceptable. Shizu literally does terrible against almost everyone we see her against ... even against the normals of Bansei she does badly (if I recall correctly. It's been a while).

Shizu should either have been her same determined, genki-girl self who never gives up, or that power should have been built up from the start. Her personality even changes drastically and suddenly.... It's not clever and understandable changes like Saki's either. It's sudden, unexplained and nonsensical. "It's not your territory anymore" is utterly out of character for her to say. They put it in simply because they thought it was a cool line, ie they put it in for 12 year olds.

@AndyRayy
It must be wonderful to be able to lower your standards so badly that you can enjoy drivel like Achiga and SAO so much, but some of us cannot. My (somewhat tame, in my opinion) insult was not worse than your writing people who don't like those shows off as 'bandwagoning' either.

Your comments don't make sense either. "The actual mahjong in Achiga is better than in Saki" is a comment that deserves ridicule.
imbsOct 23, 2013 9:08 AM
Oct 23, 2013 9:40 AM

Sep 2012
imbs said:
@AndyRayy
It must be wonderful to be able to lower your standards so badly that you can enjoy drivel like Achiga and SAO so much, but some of us cannot.
Sorry for jumping in again, but again I see no reason that you have to belittle anime like SAO and Achiga as "drivel" and said that people who enjoy those anime are "lowering standards so badly". I enjoyed SAO a lot, and I also enjoyed Achiga, even though I could agree with a lot of things you said about how the power of various characters in Achiga are poorly constructed and developed compared with Saki. One thing I definitely agree with AndyRayy is that if he does not put as much emphasis on that part of the anime and taken as a whole (including the non-Mahjong parts) enjoyed Achiga greatly then he could say that Achiga is good, even better, in his opinion. And if you cared about the layout of powers and the mahjong games a lot more, then surely you would judge Achiga a lot worse and found it not enjoyable, but that does not necessary that people are "lowering standards badly" to enjoy it. It is more like they do not have the same high standard on certain aspect of the anime, but they may have really high standard in aspects that they care (and because those aspects are done well, they find it enjoyable). Same with SAO, we can be open about its flaws, perhaps even critical of certain parts of it, but we can still enjoy it overall. This is not lowering standard; this is just knowing how to enjoy the anime.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 40 seconds ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
40 seconds ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 2 hours ago

3 by trinitroglycerin »»
10 minutes ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 1 hour ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
36 minutes ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
1 hour ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

3 by Etherius_ZS »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.