Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 15, 2013 1:53 PM

Jul 2007
So the first episode of Telltale's new game is out.

The Wolf Among Us is a prequel to popular DC Comics Vertigo franchise Fables. Fables is a story about all the fairytale characters you know (or think you know) - Snow White, Red Riding Hood, Big Bad Wolf, Beauty and the Beast, etc - they all are real having existed for ages living their lives in their world, Homelands, till one day they found themselves stuck in our world, having been driven out of their lands by a mysterious demonic force, "The Adversary". Stuck in the real world, the fables have formed a quiet and secretive community in New York, Fabletown, keeping up appearances, playing nice and pretending to be human, while still playing their old games and continuing their old feuds.

The Wolf Among Us takes place 20 years before the first chapter of Fables. It follows the life of Bigby Wolf, appointed as Sheriff of Fabletown and trying to keep all the fairytale characters from killing each other or revealing their nature to the citizens of real world. Needless to say, Bigby, also known as Big Bad Wolf, is not exactly liked, considering his past crimes, and his life is a mess. However, all it takes is one phone call, one drunk fight and one mysterious woman and Bigby's life takes a surreal turn as he is drawn into surreal conspiracy and murder, where everyone he knows, even those he loves, is a suspect and no one is safe.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a_St9DTuO0
Launch Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIgx0vPPDtA

----------------------------------------------

The First Episode, titled "Faith" came out few days ago and so far I REALLY like it. Its really faithful to the Fables lore and has so many nice nods to the comic book storyline and mysteries, at the same time being accessible enough to stand on its own.

The plotline is intriguing and complex and the mysteries are interesting both to the newcomers of the franchise and to the oldtimers who know their way around those characters.

The art-style is more refined than that of Telltale's Walking Dead and way more comic-book-y and stylized. The music is brilliant and very moody(example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99nnDQWwuYI )

Now onto story spoilers, for those who finished EP1:

Oct 19, 2013 2:08 PM

Dec 2011
I love that Game as much as I love the Walking Dead Game.
the first episode was really great.

Oct 19, 2013 2:10 PM

Sep 2011
its such a weird premise but man it works so well. I dont think i ever considered a fairy tail noire murder mystery would ever be made let alone be fantastic

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 19, 2013 8:39 PM

Mar 2008
I watched a playthrough of the first episode and it was fairly neat. I played The Walking Dead after watching a playthrough, but I was disappointed in the lack of meaningful decisions, so I expect this to be the same...thus I probably won't buy it for that reason.
Oct 20, 2013 2:41 AM

Jul 2007
Shirakuzo said:

Oct 20, 2013 10:30 AM

Dec 2011
Fai said:
Shirakuzo said:

Oct 20, 2013 7:17 PM

Jul 2007
Shirakuzo said:
Fai said:
Shirakuzo said:

Oct 20, 2013 10:00 PM

Dec 2011
Fai said:
Shirakuzo said:
Fai said:
Shirakuzo said:

Oct 21, 2013 5:25 AM

Jan 2011
If you want more walking dead this is it.
Oct 21, 2013 4:14 PM

Nov 2008
Agnostos said:
I watched a playthrough of the first episode and it was fairly neat. I played The Walking Dead after watching a playthrough, but I was disappointed in the lack of meaningful decisions, so I expect this to be the same...thus I probably won't buy it for that reason.
That was the only thing holding the game back from greatness for me. The basic story paths and ending are always the same. Well, the gameplay could have been better too.

I'll probably play this when it's complete, like I did with The Walking Dead.

Oct 22, 2013 5:41 AM

Jul 2007
Ezekiel said:
Agnostos said:
That was the only thing holding the game back from greatness for me. The basic story paths and ending are always the same. Well, the gameplay could have been better too.

I'll probably play this when it's complete, like I did with The Walking Dead.

Of course the basic outcome has to be the same. Its canon with the whole franchise so important characters(ex:
) have to have endings that fit into the whole of what has been told in the comics. Its already known(vaguely) on how this story ends(major spoilers:

How one gets there is what differs and what you can affect. Reaching it all your own way is what is satisfying. That's no different from the likes of Beyond or Heavy Rain, just with less crazy and more coherent narrative.
Oct 22, 2013 5:49 AM

Oct 2009
Adore the Walking Dead games and will definitely be getting this one, patiently waiting for some kind of sale however.
Oct 22, 2013 11:13 AM

Jul 2007
Comparisons with Walking Dead are not exactly fitting, tbh.

Walking Dead was a "zombie apocalypse" generic setting with quite unlikeable borderline-villain cast that just happens to benefit from top-notch writing. The game was great, but it did not give me any interest in the world or characters themselves. The first second you enter the game you KNOW what to expect from the setting or character stereotypes already. Its just that its written in good way so you still enjoy it.

Wolf Among Us is the opposite of that. The setting you are thrown into is enigmatic and mysterious. Game leaves it to you yourself to figure out on why the hell these characters are in this place and focuses on characters themselves. With every character you have that curiosity of trying to figure out WHICH fairytale that character is and is it in anyway different from the norm of how that tale is told. Every single character is still an asshole just like in TWD, but this time they are interesting and very different assholes and their reactions to YOU are mostly justified.

TWD is driven by cause and effect. Wanting to see how those characters turn out. Wolf Among Us, true to noir genre that Fables franchise resides in, is more about solving situations and trying to figure out the mystery BEHIND it all. Figuring out the character agendas and WHY they are there

The fact that depending on HOW you handle situations you get different tidbits of information also encourages multiple playthroughs.

IF TWD started as a good action movie, Wolf Among US starts as a good noir detective movie, complete with a femme fatale(multiple ones actually) and synth soundtrack. ITs far more atmospheric and less focused on thrills and more focused on delivering a mysterious experience as most of the players will stumble in this unknown twisted world together with the lead character. Who can you trust? Who is lying? What is this characters agenda and how does it connect to the agendas of all the other characters?

I doubt it will stay as normal noir detective storyline though as most of Fables story arcs start relatively normal and then get incredibly crazy and twisted very soon and moves at relatively fast pace and the franchise is well known for bending the genres and shifting from one genre into the other very fast (the first arc of fables is
). Its certainly bound to have far more twists than TWD did.

That said it IS certainly a "go buy the rest of stuff" kind of game(but then again TWD also was like that) - a lot of stuff is left in the "right there in the manual" kind of direction and its there solely to drum up interest in the franchise and increase the fanbase before Fables movie advertisements begin. Its shocking for newbies but rewarding for series veterans.
Oct 23, 2013 12:21 PM

Oct 2009
Fai said:
Comparisons with Walking Dead are not exactly fitting, tbh.

Sure. :) It's more game/play-style than story settings I was comparing though. Can't speak for others!
Feb 7, 2014 10:34 AM

Jul 2007
So Episode 2 is out and:

AhenshihaelFeb 7, 2014 10:41 AM
Apr 16, 2014 9:17 AM

Jul 2007
Ep 3 is brilliant.

Apr 16, 2014 9:19 AM
Jul 2012
Just bought episode 2 yesterday. May buy episode 3 if the ending hooks me in on wanting to buy it.
Jun 2, 2014 1:58 PM

Jul 2007
Ep4 was shorter than expected but for a build-up episode, good enough. Its also nice to see them drop a little bit of foreshadowing for things that go on latter in the comic books.

If there were any doubts about it before(there weren't), now I can firmly claim this to be better than Walking Dead.
Jun 4, 2014 1:34 PM
Jul 2012
Just finished with episode 3 today, and it was very good.

Little confusing to me, but very good episode. Even better that this episode doesn't have any frame rate drops compared the last two episodes I played which it is great.

8/10
Jun 4, 2014 7:58 PM

Jun 2008
Finished episode 4 a few days ago, it's really coming to a climax! :O
Jul 8, 2014 9:33 PM
Jul 2012
THE LAST EPISODE HAS BEEN RELEASED TODAY, AND IT'S A GREAT SEASON FINALE THAT I ENJOYED IT. THAT IS ALL.

9.5/10
Jul 8, 2014 11:49 PM

Jun 2008
Oh snap it's out? Gonna have to get on that tomorrow!
Jul 9, 2014 4:40 AM

Sep 2013
Waiting for the store update to happen in PS3 Europe -.-
Nov 3, 2014 2:56 AM

Jan 2012
Just finished this game and loved it. Have not played walk of deed but will now. wish there was a sex scene at the end lol wanted bigby to show that hoe the big bad wolf XD
you sound poor

More topics from this board

» Anime List Randomizer

pofesso - Apr 12

2 by pofesso »»
6 minutes ago

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - 27 minutes ago

1 by kenzozo »»
22 minutes ago

» Do you want to quit smoking?

French-Japanese - 2 hours ago

0 by French-Japanese »»
2 hours ago

» Out of all the Mario games which did you play the most recently

KiraraFan - Apr 9

24 by French-Japanese »»
2 hours ago

» Error 404 on Windows 9!

French-Japanese - 5 hours ago

2 by French-Japanese »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.